PDA

View Full Version : Duke schedule

texas
11-09-2010, 12:47 AM
does coach K still try to schedule games in the home state of duke players so that they can play in front of friends and family? i know this was done years ago but not sure if that is still attempted. for example, maybe a home and home with UCF in Orlando for Austin Rivers.

CameronBornAndBred
11-09-2010, 01:03 AM
does coach K still try to schedule games in the home state of duke players so that they can play in front of friends and family? i know this was done years ago but not sure if that is still attempted. for example, maybe a home and home with UCF in Orlando for Austin Rivers.
He does, that's why we are playing Oregon this year. I wouldn't count on any games scheduled for Rivers though, my guess is K knows he won't be around long enough to play in the game. I think it's a reward to the player in question, which means you've got to earn it. (That might not be true at all, but it's my gut feeling.) Luckily Kyle stuck around long enough to play in his.

juise
11-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Dunleavy's "home" game (against University of Portland at the Rose Garden) was his sophomore year, which appears to be an anomaly. McRoberts got to play at IU his freshman year, but I don't think Duke had any way of influencing the Big10/ACC challenge schedule.

It's been easy for players like Lance, Zoubs, and Greg coming from NY/NJ. Duke is frequently in those states. Jon showed up big time for his game in Chicago last year against Iowa State.

I was thinking about this topic last week and was wondering if Demarcus ever got a game in California. I didn't see anything, which is somewhat surprising. It would have been a 2-for-1 with Markie getting to go home and Duke getting a little exposure in the bay area (not that the nationally televised games aren't enough exposure).

texas
11-09-2010, 11:09 AM
thanks for the responses so far, much appreciated. i was talking with a friend of mine about this and we agreed it is a cool thing to do if you can pull it off. it seems like it can be done with a short lead time (about 1 year in advance), so if you knew a player was sticking around for his 3rd and 4th year you might be able to put something together.

anyone have a link to an article where coach k talks about this?

Bluedog
11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
thanks for the responses so far, much appreciated. i was talking with a friend of mine about this and we agreed it is a cool thing to do if you can pull it off. it seems like it can be done with a short lead time (about 1 year in advance), so if you knew a player was sticking around for his 3rd and 4th year you might be able to put something together.

anyone have a link to an article where coach k talks about this?

I can't find a quote from Coach K himself, but found this:

Krzyzewski's program has a tradition in which the coach tries to schedule at least one game in a departing senior's hometown.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/1332/duke-iowa-state-at-the-united-center-wait-huh

Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski [...] likes to reward senior out-of-state players by scheduling a game in or near their hometowns.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/04/oregon_basketball_new_coach_co.html

Not that those say anything different from the above responses, but it seems to be commonly accepted that Coach K does his best to reward seniors by scheduling a game near the hometown, if feasible.

mkirsh
11-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Not that those say anything different from the above responses, but it seems to be commonly accepted that Coach K does his best to reward seniors by scheduling a game near the hometown, if feasible.

Is this tradition really true? Yes last year we had a game in Chicago for Jon and this year fin Portland or Singler, but I don't remember "senior games" for captains Nelson, Shelden, Dockery, Ewing, Duhon, Battier (maybe Mich Jr year), Carrawell, etc. If anything it seems that more effort has been placed to do this recently than traditionally.

Bluedog
11-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Is this tradition really true? Yes last year we had a game in Chicago for Jon and this year fin Portland or Singler, but I don't remember "senior games" for captains Nelson, Shelden, Dockery, Ewing, Duhon, Battier (maybe Mich Jr year), Carrawell, etc. If anything it seems that more effort has been placed to do this recently than traditionally.

Maybe it is a more recent phenomenon that aligns with the increasing practice of top flight players to depart early for the NBA? When you had your top 4 players every year stay all four years, it was hard to accommodate them all. But now that it's rare for players to stay all that time, perhaps Coach K wants to reward those players that do? Just a guess. Maybe it's unrelated. He still doesn't do it for everybody obviously.

Nugget
11-09-2010, 01:02 PM
This kind of thing has ebbed and flowed over time.

For example, back in the early 90's we played at Canisius in Buffalo for Christian Laettner his senior year, and played Rutgers at the Meadowlands in a homecoming game for Bobby Hurley his senior year