PDA

View Full Version : Do you Root For Maryland Out of Conference?

SCMatt33
11-08-2010, 06:02 PM
With the start of the season tonight, and Maryland as the only ACC team involved, I was wondering where people stood on this. Personally I easily root for 9 of the other 11 ACC teams every time out in non-conference play. I like the ACC to be strong, and that takes OOC wins to happen. My preference of the ACC being strong, however, is far outweighed by my dislike of carolina, as I have never once pulled for them to win a game since I showed up on campus as a freshman (I really didn't care about college basketball in general before then). Maryland has always fallen somewhere in the middle for me. As my freshman year was 2006, I missed much of the early part of the last decade that fueled the current level of the rivalry, so for me, I do usually root for Maryland out of conference, but I was wondering what the feelings were in general about this?

Channing
11-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I never root for Maryland. I love watching them lose - and the worse the loss the better. I can't stand Gary Williams and his unwillingness to call out the UMD fans and their antics directed at JJ, and later Paulus and Scheyer. The damage they cause during their riots is criminal and a black eye on college basketball.

Over the past few years, aside from finding out where Duke is seeded, watching to see if UMD will be left out of the tournament field is prime reason I watch the selection show.

El_Diablo
11-08-2010, 06:17 PM
With the start of the season tonight, and Maryland as the only ACC team involved, I was wondering where people stood on this. Personally I easily root for 9 of the other 11 ACC teams every time out in non-conference play. I like the ACC to be strong, and that takes OOC wins to happen. My preference of the ACC being strong, however, is far outweighed by my dislike of carolina, as I have never once pulled for them to win a game since I showed up on campus as a freshman (I really didn't care about college basketball in general before then). Maryland has always fallen somewhere in the middle for me. As my freshman year was 2006, I missed much of the early part of the last decade that fueled the current level of the rivalry, so for me, I do usually root for Maryland out of conference, but I was wondering what the feelings were in general about this?

The only time I root for Maryland is when they're playing Carolina, so my ideal situation would have Maryland go 2-28 (beating UNC twice). Hypothetically though, I could see myself rooting for them if their opponent were tied with us for the ACC title and we needed a Maryland win to claim the regular season, but even then I would do it begrudgingly.

dukejim1
11-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I save my negative rooting for one team. It takes all my energy.

Bluedevil114
11-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I never root for Maryland. I live here and the fans are relentless when they win and they cry about the refs when they lose.

-jk
11-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I save my negative rooting for one team. It takes all my energy.

That's my view. I want the ACC to be strong out of conference with the notable exception of those folks down the road.

-jk

Dukeface88
11-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I voted no. I don't root against them per se, but I don't root for them either. Mostly, I just wish they would get an actual rival so their fans would leave us alone.

rasputin
11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
They're not our rival.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Poll needs a third answer...sometimes. It depends on how much I even care.

JasonEvans
11-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Poll needs a third answer...sometimes.

Exactly--

I root for ACC teams in non-conference matchups almost without fail. But, even the folks who root against UNC and Maryland must have some time where they could pull for the "good" ACC team versus some bad guys.

For example:

Maryland vs. Kentucky
UNC vs. UConn
Either one versus the old UNLV teams

Ok, I can't think of any others ;)

--Jason "Kentucky and UConn have a special place in the blackness in my mind" Evans

SCMatt33
11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I think it's interesting that the vote count is currently 10-10, but of the people who have replied, it has been overwhelmingly no. I think that indicates which group is more passionate about their feelings, (which I would agree with).

By the way, for people who have said it depends on if it helps Duke directly, this is only for out of conference, so the only help to Duke would be strengthening RPI and the reputation of the ACC.

Acymetric
11-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Exactly--

I root for ACC teams in non-conference matchups almost without fail. But, even the folks who root against UNC and Maryland must have some time where they could pull for the "good" ACC team versus some bad guys.

For example:

Maryland vs. Kentucky
UNC vs. UConn

--Jason "Kentucky and UConn have a special place in the blackness in my mind" Evans

In the case of unc vs. UConn (or Kentucky, or any team along those lines) I would just be glad one team would be losing. I definitely wouldn't say I was "pulling" for the heels...I just wouldn't pull against them like I normally do. I would pull for Maryland against those teams as long as a) There were no really unlikable players (Steve Blake?) on the team and b) There had been no dirty play in any matchups between Duke and MD so far.

OldPhiKap
11-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Not since Lefty left. Especially not after the last ten years.

Second easiest question ever, after the Carolina one.

JohnGalt
11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Exactly--

For example:

Maryland vs. Kentucky
UNC vs. UConn

Really, Jason? You pull for Carolina over UCONN? UCONN is low, but not THAT low.

For me, the answer is no. I never pull for Maryland except when extraordinary circumstances justify it (i.e. playing Carolina or UCONN...see below) The sacredly held order of Most Disdained is as follows:

1. Carolina
2. UCONN
3. Maryland
4. Kentucky
(big drop off)

moonpie23
11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
maryland fans are smarter than a small box of hair......for that reason, i root for Gary.....not their fans..

BleedsP287
11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I always pull for ACC teams over outsiders, even Carolina and Maryland. I was an undergrad at UVA, did my graduate studies at Duke, born in Baltimore, many friends and family throughout ACC-land. I like the ACC to do well and have a measure of respect for all the schools. OTOH, when Carolina or Maryland loses, I'm not heartbroken, secretly pleased in fact, I just won't admit it anywhere but here.

Bob Green
11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I root for Maryland and UNC as I hate neither program. However, I do dislike many fans of both schools. I'm firmly in the camp who desires to see ACC teams win against non-conference opponents because it is good for the conference.

mapei
11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Not even against UNC. Gary and the MD fans are despicable.

Duke: A Dynasty
11-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Yes, I sure do. I want all the ACC teams to do great when not playing us. Well except for UNC, I always cheer against them because I just despise them and they are our biggest rivals. Maryland is rude and disrespectful yes but I have never had any reason to actually not like them personally.

davekay1971
11-08-2010, 07:28 PM
The only ACC team I root against out of conference is UNC. Every other ACC team I actively root for in out of conference play. I've been an ACC fan all my life, but my hatred for all things UNC far outweighs my ACC fan-dom. As for Jason's example, I wouldn't root for UNC over UConn even if Jim Calhoun was actively passing out bags of cash to recruits on the sidelines during the game and Roy Williams had pulled orphans out of a burning building on his way to the arena. Yeah, I know. It's pathological. But, as was pointed out in another thread, this ain't no country club rivalry...it's a holy war.

PumpkinFunk
11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Accidentally clicked "Yes" but the answer is "No way." I hate Maryland from my time growing up, surrounded by disgusting Maryland fans, and will never cheer for them except against UNC.

Newton_14
11-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Exactly--

I root for ACC teams in non-conference matchups almost without fail. But, even the folks who root against UNC and Maryland must have some time where they could pull for the "good" ACC team versus some bad guys.For example:

Maryland vs. Kentucky
UNC vs. UConn

Sorry Jason. I do pull for Maryland in OOC games, but UNC?
Sometimes? NO.
Occasionally? NO
In the NCAA Tourney? HELL NO
Put is this way, say Bin Laden brings a team over to Chapel Hill, I would put on a ..... oh never mind, you get the picture...:cool:

Kedsy
11-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Poll needs a third answer...sometimes. It depends on how much I even care.

This. Since there was no third option, I chose yes. The only team I *always* root against is UNC. I tried rooting for them once, but after 5 or 10 seconds I realized I couldn't bear it.

RoyalBlue08
11-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I like to see Maryland win given it helps the conference and they are clearly not our rivals. So I voted yes. However, given that Maryland winning has the side effect of making Maryland fans happy, there is a down side.

hurleyfor3
11-08-2010, 08:25 PM
I used to root for ACC teams in non-conference games, including unc occasionally. (Unc is 3-0 when I have rooted for them.) Then I realized that fans of other ACC schools not only don't root for us, but almost always root against us. Remember unc kids closed down Franklin Street after the 1999 championship game. Which they weren't even playing in!

So screw 'em. Maryland, unc, Wake, Clemson, the whole bunch. You don't want to stick up for us, you might as well be in the SEC for all I care, dudes.

I don't dislike Maryland basketball per se, and I think when Gary Williams says things that annoy most of us he's usually just sticking up for his team. But their fanbase? Dumber than marmots, and nowhere near as adorable.

Duvall
11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Really, Jason? You pull for Carolina over UCONN? UCONN is low, but not THAT low.

No surprise there. Evans has always been soft on the Tar Heel issue.

verga
11-08-2010, 10:22 PM
pull for Maryland when convenient, it depends on who they are playing. I think Gary Williams is a better coach than anyone in the ACC other than K. his kids play hard and he gets amazing results out of 3 & 4 star players. Thats primarily because he is a lazy recruiter at best, i never and i repeat never pull for unc in anything against anyone.

zack2014
11-08-2010, 10:23 PM
...and I currently attend Maryland.

Lord Ash
11-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Nope, and solely because the venom I've seen come from their fans baffles and disgusts me.

If they were normal fans, I would say yes. I always liked Greivis, and have professional respect for Gary in a vague, general way. But forget the Terps.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-08-2010, 10:34 PM
On rare occasion, but not very often. Are they playing the Russians this season?

gumbomoop
11-08-2010, 10:39 PM
[No]...and I currently attend Maryland.

Sure would like to hear just a little more. Please.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Becoming a fan of the Blue Devils in 1989, I never had much of a reason to root against MD. They were mostly harmless for most of the 90s, and I never disliked the Joe Smith or Steve Francis teams. That changed for two reasons in the early 00's. MD got good and I moved to the DC area.

What's interesting is that I really think the latter had more of an impact. Being around so many bandwagon MD fans who took to Duke hating with a passion really made me dislike the team with an equal passion. Still living near DC, I still hate MD.

If I moved back to NC, would I still hate them? Probably not. They'd lose their impact on me.

sagegrouse
11-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Reprehensible as his behavior is at times (esp. on the bench), Gary Williams is one of a kind and a really good basketball coach. What you see with Gary is what you get. He is a throwback to Bones McKinney (who once had seatbelts installed on the Wake bench to avoid getting so many T's). And, as such, is to be treasured not despised. K is the polar opposite of Gary and an excellent example of a leader who has figured it out, is under control at all times, and usually gets what he wants. Most of the other coaches in the conference (or in the NCAA) are trying to be like K and succeeding only in being dull, boring, insipid, dry-as-dust, and uninspiring. [Message: it's harder than it looks to imitate K.]

Roy, of course, is in a class by himself. You have a perfect example of a great coach with "foot-in-mouth" disease. That's UNC's burden and Duke's delight. But then that's the other poll.

sagegrouse

COYS
11-08-2010, 10:50 PM
I generally do. I like the ACC to be strong. That being said, when the terps win out of conference, I never say much more than "hey, that's nice for the ACC." I don't really have much stake it it, at all.

msdukie
11-08-2010, 10:53 PM
i save my negative rooting for one team. It takes all my energy.

this is the only possible correct answer

OldPhiKap
11-08-2010, 10:57 PM
NO...and I currently attend Maryland.

Zach, you are my new personal hero.

Just thought you should know.

Let me ask a simple question of the board: Do you think they pull for us, under any condition?!? I have never met a more hate-based fan base in my life.

Good luck, Zach. Keep your head up, until they start chucking the AA Energizers at you for wearing a Duke sweatshirt!

-- OPK

msdukie
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Exactly--

But, even the folks who root against UNC and Maryland must have some time where they could pull for the "good" ACC team versus some bad guys.

For example:

Maryland vs. Kentucky
UNC vs. UConn

I do not live in a galaxy where "UNC" and " 'good' ACC team" belong within 1,000 pages of a bulletin board thread of each other.

dcdevil2009
11-08-2010, 11:00 PM
A better question might be what you do in this scenario: ACC/Big 10 challenge, 5-5, Maryland playing at Purdue down 3 with a minute left. Personally, I root for Maryland. It's a non-conferene game with direct ACC consequences, but no underdog story lines. I might root for UNC in that scenario too, but I'm not sure. I don't consider Maryland a big rival and giving them crap for losing a game they weren't supposed to win in the first place suggests otherwise. On the other hand, if it's Maryland-non-BCS School X, I'm going to root for the underdog because I'd rather see a good underdog win more than an ACC beating up on undermanned team from the Patriot League.

zack2014
11-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Well I always loved Duke but got waitlisted. So I just took a MD since it was free. Anyway the fans don't cheer for Duke EVER. Their midnight madness centered around Duke hate. Today at the MD vs. Seattle game a f*** Duke chant broke out. I agree with them being the most hateful fans ever. Thanks for the encouragement. At least I will be able to watch Duke beat them in a couple months

OldPhiKap
11-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Well I always loved Duke but got waitlisted. So I just took a MD since it was free. Anyway the fans don't cheer for Duke EVER. Their midnight madness centered around Duke hate. Today at the MD vs. Seattle game a f*** Duke chant broke out. I agree with them being the most hateful fans ever. Thanks for the encouragement. At least I will be able to watch Duke beat them in a couple months

Nothing wrong with free college. (The older my kids get, the more I have come to believe that!!!). Keep your head up, and glad to have you on the board. -- OPK

P.S. I am curious what their MM had to do with Duke, although I'm not sure I really want the answer.

Lord Ash
11-08-2010, 11:17 PM
A better question might be what you do in this scenario: ACC/Big 10 challenge, 5-5, Maryland playing at Purdue down 3 with a minute left. Personally, I root for Maryland. It's a non-conferene game with direct ACC consequences, but no underdog story lines. I might root for UNC in that scenario too, but I'm not sure. I don't consider Maryland a big rival and giving them crap for losing a game they weren't supposed to win in the first place suggests otherwise. On the other hand, if it's Maryland-non-BCS School X, I'm going to root for the underdog because I'd rather see a good underdog win more than an ACC beating up on undermanned team from the Patriot League.

Hm, actually that DOES make me reconsider. When it comes to an inter-conference challenge, I DO want the ACC to win. If it were up to the Terps, I might root for them. UNC? Nah, let them be the scapegoat!:)

zack2014
11-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Nothing wrong with free college. (The older my kids get, the more I have come to believe that!!!). Keep your head up, and glad to have you on the board. -- OPK

P.S. I am curious what their MM had to do with Duke, although I'm not sure I really want the answer.

It didn't have anything to do with Duke. I'm thinking that the staff hoped that it would get the students excited about Md basketball since the actual team isn't going to do much of that.

DukeDiva
11-09-2010, 12:10 AM
I root for all ACC teams except MD and UNC. I would probably root for MD if it wasn't for their obnoxious fans.

pfrduke
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM

Nah... it would be much better to just blame the Heels for costing the ACC a challenge victory! ;)

left_hook_lacey
11-09-2010, 01:15 AM
I voted that I root for Maryland, but it was because we only had two choices. Obviously, I root for Maryland in certain situations, but there are many situations I root for them to lose.

CLT Devil
11-09-2010, 08:04 AM
If every other ACC school has been eliminated from the NCAA Tourney I might pull for MD just so the conference looks good...otherwise it is an emphatic 'NO.'

I just can't get over what their fans did to Boozer's Mom and Nate's Uncle in the early 2000's. Not only did we not get any kind of apology, but IIRC Gary said they were 'just fans being fans.' You'd never hear that from K, who would condemn any such behavior. On top of that they riot and storm the court way too often. I know most of the students are likely smart and good kids, but the mob mentality takes over and they treat College Park like their own dumpster. How many times have we seen people get hurt, property get damaged and had Police confrontations over a game...not necessarily a Win, even a loss can trigger a riot.

The thing that gets me is there have been no steps taken by the Admin, such as how Duke handles their bonfires, to prevent the loss or damage of property in people ho live in CP. They also did not seem to care that their students were so vile that opposing teams families and fans were often intimadated in their arena. My hate on the court for the Twerps is not as high, as they tend to have good players and Gary is a good coach, but I just can't get over their fans. I know it's a generalizaion, an the better the team was the worse the fans tended to behave...I can't let that go eough to pull for them.

wilko
11-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Who is Maryland?

callmecrazy
11-09-2010, 08:09 AM
NO WAY!!!
I live in Maryland and Maryland fans are the most fair-weather fans I have ever seen. The turtles play hard for two games every year against us and maybe one more if they play Carolina. Everyone in Maryland thinks Duke is a rival with them. Yes, they play good games but they are not our rival. Maryland plays hard against Duke but yet they lose to teams like Morgan State on their own floor. I would never cheer for Maryland out of conference.

Steve68
11-09-2010, 08:26 AM
I lived in the Washington, D.C. area for over 30 years, so this poll is a no-brainer. No way, no how, never, ...

ivduke
11-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Living in Pennsylvania, and less than an hour and a half from College Park, I can tell you there is no way I root for Maryland. Maryland treats Duke fans like 2nd class citizens on a normal basis at even non-major sports. Their behavior is boorish, and borders on criminal in some cases. The fan base goes crazy for Duke. I can't tell you how many times I have been flipped off, cut off, screamed at, and antagonized while driving on I-95/695 Beltway because my truck is covered in Duke items (including my IVDUKE state issued license plate). So No I don't root for Maryland. However, I do respect what Gary is able to put together on the floor year after year. He doesn't get top rated kids, and he continues to win in spite of this. Imagine if the guy could recruit. :confused:

As far as rooting for UNC-----it will never happen!

Jderf
11-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Living in Pennsylvania, and less than an hour and a half from College Park, I can tell you there is no way I root for Maryland. Maryland treats Duke fans like 2nd class citizens on a normal basis at even non-major sports. Their behavior is boorish, and borders on criminal in some cases. The fan base goes crazy for Duke. I can't tell you how many times I have been flipped off, cut off, screamed at, and antagonized while driving on I-95/695 Beltway because my truck is covered in Duke items (including my IVDUKE state issued license plate). So No I don't root for Maryland. However, I do respect what Gary is able to put together on the floor year after year. He doesn't get top rated kids, and he continues to win in spite of this. Imagine if the guy could recruit. :confused:

As far as rooting for UNC-----it will never happen!

Yeah... Maryland fans are some of the worst people on the face of the planet. Can't really argue with that (not even sure if that's hyperbole or not). When I see a Maryland fan, I want nothing but pain for them: I want their team to lose big time. But somehow Gary seems to put together these ragtag groups of kids that come together to form some seriously gritty teams. I can't help but root for them.

The fan-team disparity causes me trouble, though, and puts me in some strange positions. For example, I have a Maryland friend who is... well... a Maryland fan. I've watched a couple of games with him and, to put it mildly, his Duke hate is obnoxious. For those Maryland games, I found I had a lot of trouble choosing who to root for; it depended on where I was looking. If I was looking at my friend, I just wanted his team to lose -- and lose bad. But then, when I turned my head to the screen, I just couldn't help pulling for Greivis and the gang. What gives?

roywhite
11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I voted "no", based on the hatred and venom that Terp fans spew toward Duke.

Going back 20+ years, I was threatened and harrassed at a Duke--MD game in Cole; have a friend that got punched in the face. Several of my buddies live in the Baltimore area, and tell me stories of the constant vitriol on talk shows, etc. from Maryland fans toward Duke.

The heck with them; hope Duke stomps them twice this year, or three times if we catch them in the ACC Tournament.

Reddevil
11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
it's kind of like rooting for this guy. Maryland is our cousin Eddie.

gw67
11-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I am an outlier on this board. I have been a Duke and ACC fan from the early 60's. I have been a Maryland fan from the early 70's when I started dating my future wife who was a Maryland student at that time.

I root for ALL ACC teams in their OOC games.

gw67

roywhite
11-09-2010, 09:41 AM
I am an outlier on this board. I have been a Duke and ACC fan from the early 60's. I have been a Maryland fan from the early 70's when I started dating my future wife who was a Maryland student at that time.

I root for ALL ACC teams in their OOC games.

gw67

Wish more of the pro-Maryland fans were like you, gw67.

gw67 knows hoops and is very fair in his analysis.

timmy c
11-09-2010, 10:22 AM
NO WAY!!!
I live in Maryland and Maryland fans are the most fair-weather fans I have ever seen. The turtles play hard for two games every year against us and maybe one more if they play Carolina. Everyone in Maryland thinks Duke is a rival with them. Yes, they play good games but they are not our rival. Maryland plays hard against Duke but yet they lose to teams like Morgan State on their own floor. I would never cheer for Maryland out of conference.

Call me crazy is not so crazy on this one... Maryland does have some of the most half-hearted fans I have ever met. But, I still root for Maryland when they are playing out of conference.

1) It maintains family ties. My father is a Maryland graduate. Blood is thinker...
2) A Duke win over an accomplished Maryland team helps Duke's RPI.
3) It emboldens the aforementioned far weather fans, making them more susceptible to making twerp worthy nonsensical statements.

PADukeMom
11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Exactly--

For example:

Maryland vs. Kentucky
UNC vs. UConn

Can't these games end with a tie????? The only time I could ever see myself rooting for Maryland is when they play UNC & sort of kind of in the tourney just to boost up the ACC.

Biscuit King
11-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Like everyone else on this thread who has lived in or around the DC area, I say NFW.

I root for Maryland against UNC, and that's it.

Would love to know if there is ANYONE on this board who has lived in the area who can root for Maryland (other than those with family ties). It's unbearable up there.

sagegrouse
11-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Like everyone else on this thread who has lived in or around the DC area, I say NFW.

I root for Maryland against UNC, and that's it.

Would love to know if there is ANYONE on this board who has lived in the area who can root for Maryland (other than those with family ties). It's unbearable up there.

I have been in the DC area off and on for decades. I root for Maryland at times (out-of-conference esp.) because I happen to like Gary W. Also, they "are not our rivals," although someone else may have thought of this first. The last few years, except for Greivis's farewell night, Duke has owned Maryland (horrible match-ups for the Terps), so the competitive balance has been of little consequence.

The Terp fans are despicable, of course -- uniquely so in the ACC, but probably matched by fans at Big East schools (Rutgers, WVa, and UConn?). And BTW, Gary and the UMd Administration DO NOT GET A PASS on fan behavior. They have tended to hide behind lawyers (First Amendment) when swift action could have quelled the worst of the bad behavior.

sagegrouse
'I mean, the Rutgers students a few years ago yelled for the Middies to die in Iraq'

brevity
11-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I root for Maryland and UNC as I hate neither program. However, I do dislike many fans of both schools.

This was so well-stated that I cannot believe I am the first to quote it. Just fantastic.

I voted Yes in this thread and the second strongest No in the similar UNC thread. Maryland's successes are just not nearly as oppressive. I think 2002 mostly hurts not because Maryland won it all, but because Duke lost to Indiana (and how that happened). Whereas UNC pretty much delivers all the hurt in 2005 (by beating that year's Team of Destiny in the final) and 2009 (where the outcome felt inevitable).

Of course, only one of those two schools is a rival.

JasonEvans
11-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Maryland vs. Kentucky
UNC vs. UConn

Maybe I missed it, but I am surprised no one has said the following...

Maryland/UNC vs. Kentucky/UConn/old-UNLV

I root for...
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIDjC3jLJ2xEDhOu3HbV9Dlf6Kl5GiM RbSuGugTuUQafXIQfQ&t=1&usg=__n0Odfwj81xS0ed0cqSZGs_InJjg=

-Jason "I think James Armstrong used to say this all the time" Evans

guybrush
11-09-2010, 11:37 AM
absolutely not

Rogue
11-09-2010, 03:05 PM
No, I don't root for Md when they play OOC.

It reminds me of the ACC when only one team could go to the NCAA tourney and you had to win the ACC tourney to be that team.. If Duke lost before the finals, or if a team like unc-ch was actually a good team that year,, we were "suppose" to root for the best team to represent the confernece.. NO WAY..
9F 9F 9F

So, I don't like Md,,or the rude fans that attend their games,, and I'm sure my ( YES MOI ) not rooting for them has surely cost them at least one or two wins over the last 20 yrs..
I take great pride in costing unc-ch a win every now and then too by rooting against them. Makes dinner much nicer that evening too.

pfrduke
11-10-2010, 09:28 PM
The results of tonight's game crystallized the answer for me:

I don't root for Maryland to win, but I sure would have been ticked off at them if they had lost. I do not have similar feelings w/r/t UNC - I am always quite pleased with the Heels when they lose. :D

CameronBornAndBred
11-10-2010, 09:46 PM
I rooted against them tonight. I'm a Bobby Cremins fan, I've always thought he was great. Dammit. Nice play calling there at the end tonight, Bobby. :mad:

alex2014
11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
It didn't have anything to do with Duke. I'm thinking that the staff hoped that it would get the students excited about Md basketball since the actual team isn't going to do much of that.

MM's Duke hate was started by the fans as we have just planned Duke in both soccer and football the previous week so the mood was still in the air. Duke was only briefly mentioned by the staff and the mood passed after a decent amount of time. The Maryland students know that they will most likely loss to Duke this year at least.

I also attend Maryland. I know for a fact that Zack does sometimes cheer. However we have discussed it and he plans to wear a non descript color, such as white, to the Duke-Maryand game. He will not cheer for Maryland but he will not cheer for Duke either. Unless he and I are both sitted behind Coach K where we are safe from those crazy Maryland fans.

johnb
11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I go with the philosophy of "what's good for Duke."

Generally, that's a win by MD or UNC OOC and sometimes in conference. It's also colored by watching their games with Duke so closely that I've grown some affection for a few of their guys (some of whom might've been Duke players if the fates had inclined differently).

If their fans or players have been especially obnoxious lately, I shade things somewhat.

dukebluelemur
11-12-2010, 01:17 PM
They're not our rival.

That doesn't mean we can't root against them.

I root against several programs I don't like... UK and UConn leading the pack. It has nothing to do with any perceived rivalry... I just think very poorly of either the program or the fan base (or both) and enjoy seeing them lose.

johnb
11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Since we're about 100 overall wins behind KY, KS, and NC, I root for them to lose so that we can catch up. I figure if we can average close to 30 wins/year and they average closer to 20 (while a pleasant fantasy, I can't imagine any of them are going lower than that, and it'd be a heck of a ride if we can keep averaging that many wins), then I might be able to see us inch over the top within 10-20 years.

cbros
11-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Let's make this clear...I will NEVER root for maryland. My distain for them is only dwarfed by unc and uk...barely.

weezie
11-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Seriously! Is this a trick thread?
md is what you scrape off the bottom of your shoes.
The holes are disgusting but the terps are 3rd class. ugh.

smvalkyries
11-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Hmm-Do I root for the brackish water scaly reptiles whose females are larger and more powerful than the males? I generally like and respect the basketball players for Maryland but just can't bring myself to root for the team or the anything to do with the school- it's a lack of respect thing- the exact opposite of the way I feel about UNC-CH whewre I like and respect the university but recently can not tolerate the individual players (Hansborough excepted) but then again I live in California and do not have to interact with Carolina alumni on a daily basis.

DevilYouthCoach
11-13-2010, 08:54 PM
I live in College Park and don't dare put Duke stuff on my car. And I spend part of every day working and drinking hot chocolate in the local Starbucks. So I know all the drink-makers and they are all nice kids. I have also coached my son's Boys and Girls Club team for six years, and almost all of those kids are big Maryland fans, naturally (not my son though!). Last year I had a very good Latino boy on our team and he loved Grievous so much. At the very end of one of our games last season Eduardo was on the foul line with the chance to send our game into overtime. He nailed both shots, and we won in OT. In the car driving home all the kids were talk talk talking about the game, of course, and then Eduardo spoke up. He said, "When I was on the foul line getting ready to take my first shot, I was Grievous Vasquez. I didn't just feel like Grievous, I am saying I WAS Grievous." Everybody got kinda quiet and let that settle in, myself included.

MrBisonDevil
11-13-2010, 11:48 PM
No. I respect UNC but I do NOT respect UMD. The bottles hitting Boozer's parents (See the "Gone in 58 Secs" game) plus the JJ T-Shirts and chants burned me very deeply. I can't stand UMD fans. UNC fans are somewhat bearable. Sorry to paint UMD fans with a broad stroke, but I can't help it.

Note: I like Gary (keep on sweating) and some of the UMD players are/were some of my favorites (like Juan Dixon + Grievous Vasquez), but the fans rub me the wrong way.

Dev11
11-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Oh I don't know, I walked through the Maryland student section a couple years ago during the Duke-MD game to visit some friends who were sitting at the bottom, and I only had like 3 boxes of popcorn thrown at my Laettner jersey. No blood, very civil. Mind you, this was the game where Gerald threw down that ridiculous jam on Dave Neal's face. After the game, I had to walk around most of the stadium to meet up with my father, and only about half of the fans I encountered shouted really awful slurs at me. My favorite, though, was being accused in the parking lot of wanting to be a lawyer or a doctor.

No, you can't root for Maryland once you've been to a MD-Duke game at Comcast. My parents live about 25 minutes from CP, my dad is a great Duke fan, but he has stopped going to the games there because he simply can't stand the fans.

SmartDevil
11-14-2010, 02:20 PM
The only time I am happy to see a U-MD team do well is in one of the "minor" men's sports teams as my family knows one of its former head coaches, a kind and gentle soul. Otherwise, I prefer to see the Terps disappoint their fanbase. I always get a chuckle in particular about Gary's inability to corral top in-state talent.

kinsman_bob
11-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I never root for Maryland. I live here and the fans are relentless when they win and they cry about the refs when they lose.

I agree. I live in MD and the Terp fans are the biggest whiners. Given their disgusting behavior at the basketball games, I could never root for them. I dislike them almost as much as Carolina.