PDA

View Full Version : Duke getting some love on Desperate Housewives

ksimp112
11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Not sure if anybody else saw this, but last night while me and my wife were watching Desperate Housewives, there was a conversation in the show that surprised me.

Two male characters on the show where discussing what they enjoyed to do to relax, one of them said give me a beer and a college basketball game and I am good. This got the other guy excited and he asked the one who commented on college basketball who his team was? The guys response was, "Well Duke has most of their starters back this year."

It really was a shock that they actually said Duke and not some made up team like they usually do on tv.

Not sure if anybody else saw this, but I just thought that it was pretty cool and wanted to share with everybody.

Bluedog
11-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I didn't see it, but on another forum someone said that the question was "who do you think will win it all this year?" Not which team is yours. In any event, not a big difference, but thought I'd provide that clarification (unless the other person is wrong! Then I apologize). The thing that's funny is we don't have most of our starters back...we only have 2/5 if you go by season-ending starters. But I'd agree that this is much better press than Glee's "I hate Duke like I hate Nazis" line.

sagegrouse
11-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Not sure if anybody else saw this, but last night while me and my wife were watching Desperate Housewives, there was a conversation in the show that surprised me.

Two male characters on the show where discussing what they enjoyed to do to relax, one of them said give me a beer and a college basketball game and I am good. This got the other guy excited and he asked the one who commented on college basketball who his team was? The guys response was, "Well Duke has most of their starters back this year."

It really was a shock that they actually said Duke and not some made up team like they usually do on tv.

Not sure if anybody else saw this, but I just thought that it was pretty cool and wanted to share with everybody.

Paranoid response #1: "Desperate" likes to push the edges of acceptability. Perhaps the producers think that "Duke" is the only four-letter word they can air on network TV.

Paranoid response #2: No way is a script writer gonna clog up his lines with four awkward syllables like "Mich-i-gan State" when "Duke" is equally plausible. Moreover, a generic response like "State" or "Tech" sounds totally limp on a hip show.

sagegrouse

Duke of Nashville
11-08-2010, 02:01 PM

You mean.. while your wife was making you watch Desperate Housewives? Just messing around. You can find plenty of Duke support with movies and tv shows. In one of the few scenes in a movie where you can actually see Mathew Mcconnahey wearing a shirt he is supporting the Blue Devils.

Starter
11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
But I'd agree that this is much better press than Glee's "I hate Duke like I hate Nazis" line.

Nah, Glee's a much more relevant show right now than Desperate Housewives. I liked that we were on their radar. (And not to beat a tired horse, but I took no offense and found that line to be pretty funny satire)

PADukeMom
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Going to have to watch it tonight. The Glee reference was dumb; over it. My favorite is still The Middle "It's a great day to be a Duke fan". It's on my dvr & I play it whenever I have a bad day.
I'm actually surprised they didn't reference 'SC.

DevilWearsPrada
11-08-2010, 02:59 PM
The scene was between Gabby's (Eva Longaria) husband, Carlos and the gay neighbor. Gabby was trying to give the gay neighbor tickets to the Musical CATS, and he stated he had seen enough of those, with his former partner. And that he preferred sports. And Carlos said "I can get free tickets, for most any sporting event. What did you have in mind?" I am paraphrasing, but you get the scene.

Gay male actor said, "I would like to see DUKE play. Since they have almost all of their starters returning this season!"

I think the segment was between the 910 - 920 pm time frame. DH comes on 9pm, EST.

Good shout out for DUKE !!!!

ksimp112
11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I didn't see it, but on another forum someone said that the question was "who do you think will win it all this year?" Not which team is yours. In any event, not a big difference, but thought I'd provide that clarification (unless the other person is wrong! Then I apologize). The thing that's funny is we don't have most of our starters back...we only have 2/5 if you go by season-ending starters. But I'd agree that this is much better press than Glee's "I hate Duke like I hate Nazis" line.

I think you are right about the character being asked "Who do you think will win it all this year?" Rather than, "Who is your team?" This just shows how little I was paying attention until I heard the word Duke:D

oldnavy
11-08-2010, 07:37 PM
You mean.. while your wife was making you watch Desperate Housewives? Just messing around. You can find plenty of Duke support with movies and tv shows. In one of the few scenes in a movie where you can actually see Mathew Mcconnahey wearing a shirt he is supporting the Blue Devils.

There was an episode of the Cosby show where Cosby wore a Duke shirt. I heard that he lost a bet or said that if Duke beat Temple he would wear the shirt. This was when Temple had Mark Macon and was favored to beat Duke. May have been '86 or so. Some of the older folks with better memories can fill in the blanks..

Dr. Tina
11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I think Jon Krasinski wore a Duke shirt in It's Complicated as well. Also, for a real shout out, I saw Gayle King was wearing a Duke sweatshirt on Oprah's Camping episodes last week. I know her son went to Duke and that is part of the reason Oprah spoke there for their commencement a few years ago, I think.

Speaking of Oprah, has she ever had Coach K on her show? If there was ever a coach for her to interview, it should be him. Not only because he's an amazing coach and person, but he's also Chicago born and bred. Plus, she does have a Duke connection of sorts. Where's the love?

Acymetric
11-08-2010, 08:50 PM
An episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (original set in Las Vegas) there is an episode where characters discuss the spread of the Duke game coming up. Later that episode (or possibly in a different one) there is a tv in the background and it is Duke against somebody (you can see the uniforms and the announcer says Duke at some point). Minor reference I suppose, but I thought it was cool when I saw it.

Duke of Nashville
11-08-2010, 09:48 PM
There was an episode of the Cosby show where Cosby wore a Duke shirt. I heard that he lost a bet or said that if Duke beat Temple he would wear the shirt. This was when Temple had Mark Macon and was favored to beat Duke. May have been '86 or so. Some of the older folks with better memories can fill in the blanks..

Looks like I missed this thread but JBDuke provides a bit of insight on the matter here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21135-Add-Glee-to-Duke-haters-club/page3). (About halfway down the page)

Devil's Advocate
11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
An episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (original set in Las Vegas) there is an episode where characters discuss the spread of the Duke game coming up. Later that episode (or possibly in a different one) there is a tv in the background and it is Duke against somebody (you can see the uniforms and the announcer says Duke at some point). Minor reference I suppose, but I thought it was cool when I saw it.

I recall a few years ago there was an episode of The West Wing. They had an evening pick up game in which the president's team imported a "Duke" player for their team, except when they cut to the player it was Juwan Howard or some other Michigan player. I always wondered who would be more annoyed about it, Duke or Michigan fans.

BD80
11-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Will we soon see "the Boss" wearing a Duke shirt in concert?

TampaDukie
11-09-2010, 02:46 PM

There was another episode where a boy who was dating his daughter, Denise, came by the house to pick her up on a date. Cliff is discussing the boy's college plans with him, and when he mentions he got accepted to Duke, Cliff says "good school."

Also, on Sex and the City, Charlotte's brother was a Duke grad. In one scene, after Samantha sleeps with him, Charlotte wakes up to find Samantha in her kitchen, clad in nothing but a Duke t-shirt.

Finally, on the short-lived Privileged, Joanna Garcia's character was tutoring two wealthy sisters, one of whom desperately wanted to go to Duke.

Oriole Way
11-09-2010, 05:56 PM
There is some awful Matthew McConaughey/Kate Hudson movie where he is wearing a Duke shirt. Happened to see the scene while channel surfing (I swear!). How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days maybe?

hurleyfor3
11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Paranoid response #2: No way is a script writer gonna clog up his lines with four awkward syllables like "Mich-i-gan State" when "Duke" is equally plausible. Moreover, a generic response like "State" or "Tech" sounds totally limp on a hip show.

Duke has a ton of brand equity in college basketball, that's certain. Your average teevee watcher knows Duke is usually pretty good every year, but not so much about Michigan State or Purdue or whomever.

Also, on Sex and the City, Charlotte's brother was a Duke grad. In one scene, after Samantha sleeps with him, Charlotte wakes up to find Samantha in her kitchen, clad in nothing but a Duke t-shirt.

Conclusion: Cougars dig Duke guys.

SuperTurkey
11-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I recall a few years ago there was an episode of The West Wing. They had an evening pick up game in which the president's team imported a "Duke" player for their team, except when they cut to the player it was Juwan Howard or some other Michigan player. I always wondered who would be more annoyed about it, Duke or Michigan fans.

Yep, it was Juwan. I like to think he ad libbed that line so he could feel like a winner.

Dukeface88
11-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Wikipedia has a list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Duke_University_people#Fictional) of some fictional Duke graduates.

Interesting that there seem to be more lawyers than doctors; I'd have thought the med school was more likely to get name-dropped.

ETA:

On the West Wing discussion, one of the actresses was a Blue Devil. Wonder if it was her idea.

huied
11-10-2010, 04:23 AM

I think there's also an episode of CSI where the victim is a Duke basketball recruit. Not the best way to be represented though.

SPOILER: He gets accidentally killed by 2 girls who he gave STD's to.