PDA

View Full Version : Duke Women Were Very Impressive

B-well
11-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Duke women blew out a scrappy team from Carson-Newman in an exhibition game.

Everyone looked great - veterans and freshmen alike - no hesitation in taking good shots - great pressure defense - too many fouls - lots of enthusiasm - fun to watch.

This can be a great season.

C-N's first three opponents - Tennessee, Duke, UNC - pretty gutty scheduling

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Duke women blew out a scrappy team from Carson-Newman in an exhibition game.
Agreed...I watched the game on goduke.com and was very pleased with our shooting. Last year our shooting drove me crazy..as a friend said to me today "they couldn't hit the water if they were in a rowboat in the ocean". And not just our long range shooting, but our layups. As goofy and fundamental as that sounds, we missed SOOOO many shots from within 5 feet of the basket last year. Chloe Wells was very impressive, and Scheer looks like she has improved a lot. I don't get why Vernerey isn't getting the minutes, but at least she played today.

C-N's first three opponents - Tennessee, Duke, UNC - pretty gutty scheduling
The commentators noted that C-N actually uses this as a recruiting tool, and they really look forward to the exhibition games they play. They impressed me, especially their outside shooting from 3. Goduke.com is down right now so I can't check the stats, but when they had 60 points at least half of them were from outside the arc. If they hadn't been falling, it would have been an even uglier final score.

Duvall
11-08-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't get why Vernerey isn't getting the minutes, but at least she played today.

These are just exhibition games. No reason not to bring her back slowly.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2010, 12:32 AM
These are just exhibition games. No reason not to bring her back slowly.
That's what I'm asking,...was she injured?

Duvall
11-08-2010, 12:38 AM
That's what I'm asking,...was she injured?

Yes. She suffered a concussion in one of the early practices.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Yes. She suffered a concussion in one of the early practices.
Thanks, that explains a lot. I knew she hadn't played at all last game, and was curious as to why. She was pretty valuable last season, so her being on the bench didn't make a lot of sense. I'm really looking forward to see how she has improved over the off-season, she can be a great presence inside, especially if she gets her shots to fall.

stillcrazie
11-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Any news on her? Is she injured?

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Any news on her? Is she injured?
Yes..the announcers were talking about her as well. I'm not sure what the injury is, but they were remarking on well the freshmen were doing and our #1 recruit was still unfortunately on the bench.

stillcrazie
11-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes..the announcers were talking about her as well. I'm not sure what the injury is, but they were remarking on well the freshmen were doing and our #1 recruit was still unfortunately on the bench.

Thanks. I hope it is not serious.

jimsumner
11-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Vernerey took a blow to the head a few weeks ago. McCallie said after the game that the plan yesterday was to play her just a few minutes and everyone was fine with that.

Gray has a foot injury. A strain, not a break. Has been held out of games and practices for a couple of weeks. McCallie said Gray should begin practicing today.