PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 11/8-11/14

pfrduke
11-07-2010, 04:26 PM
It's been a busy summer since Gordon Hayward's last-second heave clanged to the ground and Duke walked off the court with its fourth national title. Coach K took a trip to Turkey and returned with another championship - the U.S.'s first world title in more than a decade. Duke scored several high profile recruits, including the consensus top player in the class. And those crazy Heels down the road got themselves into a bit of trouble with the NCAA. But all that can finally fade away into the background because Basketball Is Back!

The 2010-2011 season tips off tomorrow, and while the Devils have to wait a week before getting back into action, other ACC squads get their first taste of the hardwood a little earlier.

Leading off the season, Maryland hosts a pod of the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament, starting with Seattle U (likely to be less formidable even than last season with the absence of Charles Garcia) on Monday and then facing everyone's favorite Heel-killers, the Charleston Cougars on Wednesday. Thanks to revisions to the tournament format, Maryland advances to the semis to take on #4 Pittsburgh, win or lose.

For everyone else except Duke, Friday is tip day:
Boston College hosts St. Francis NY
Clemson hosts Western Carolina
Florida State hosts North Florida
Georgia Tech hosts Charleston Southern
Miami hosts Jacksonville
UNC hosts Lipscomb
NC State hosts Tennessee Tech
Virginia hosts William & Mary
Virginia Tech hosts Campbell
Wake Forest hosts Stetson

A couple of these squads - Jacksonville and William & Mary - are coming off of NIT seasons, and Western Carolina made the CIT, but most of these schools are not likely to end up in the top half of the NCAA, and it should (knock on wood) leave the conference sitting at 12-0 by this time next week.

shoutingncu
11-07-2010, 06:07 PM
A couple of these squads - Jacksonville and William & Mary - are coming off of NIT seasons...

Oh... you're just counting opponents.

Olympic Fan
11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
While the first week's lineup doesn't really include any interesting matchups, I can't blame anybody for wanting to get one easy one under their belt before taking on somebody tough.

I will say that if any ACC team loses this week, it will be a HUGE red flag for that team.

The first REAL test of the season will be next Monday, when Miami plays at Memphis. The next night, a week from Tuesday, Virginia Tech takes on Kansas State in Manhattan (that's the Little Apple -- Manhattan Kansas).

Those will be worth watching.

Actually, far and away the best opening opponent for an ACC school is Princeton, which was overwhelming choice as the preseason favorite in the Ivy. I doubt they have the horses to win in Cameron, but they are better on paper than anybody else the ACC plays.

I'm expecting a 15-0 start for the ACC (through next Sunday). Actually, it should get to 19-0 with four easy games next Monday before that Miami-Memphis game at midnight on ESPN.

pfrduke
11-07-2010, 09:32 PM
While the first week's lineup doesn't really include any interesting matchups, I can't blame anybody for wanting to get one easy one under their belt before taking on somebody tough.

I will say that if any ACC team loses this week, it will be a HUGE red flag for that team.

The first REAL test of the season will be next Monday, when Miami plays at Memphis. The next night, a week from Tuesday, Virginia Tech takes on Kansas State in Manhattan (that's the Little Apple -- Manhattan Kansas).

Those will be worth watching.

Actually, far and away the best opening opponent for an ACC school is Princeton, which was overwhelming choice as the preseason favorite in the Ivy. I doubt they have the horses to win in Cameron, but they are better onj paper than anybody else the ACC plays.

I'm expecting a 15-0 start for the ACC (through next Sunday). Actually, it should get to 19-0 with four easy games next Monday before that Miami-Memphis game at midnight on ESPN.

I agree with your expectation, although Georgia Tech better show up more than they did on Friday - they needed overtime to beat Clark Atlanta in their sole exhibition game. They shot just 37.5% and had 22 turnovers. Also, they are really going to struggle with bigger teams this year - they start three guards, plus Brian Oliver (6'6") and Kammeon Holsey (6'8").

gumbomoop
11-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Oh... you're just counting opponents.

Pretty good line, deserves some applause. Indeed, had it been posted, with exactly that combo of sheepishness and sarcasm, by one of us, as opposed to one of you, it would get a whole lot of applause.

Tip of the hat to you. Glad you're here.

JohnGalt
11-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Leading off the season, Maryland hosts a pod of the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament, starting with Seattle U (likely to be less formidable even than last season with the absence of Charles Garcia) on Monday and then facing everyone's favorite Heel-killers, the Charleston Cougars on Wednesday.

If The College of Knowledge can take down Carolina AND Maryland in consecutive seasons I may vaporize out of sheer joy. Well, actually, it would take beating UCONN next year for that to happen, but - hey - I haven't looked at the College's 2011-2012 schedule yet, so...anything's possible, right?

ice-9
11-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I remember William & Mary as a decent squad last season (defeating Wake Forest and Maryland), and one that had a better season than UVA at least with a post season. I don't know what happened between last year and this year for that squad, but based on last year I wouldn't be surprised to see the ACC's first loss coming from them.

Olympic Fan
11-08-2010, 12:00 AM
I remember William & Mary as a decent squad last season (defeating Wake Forest and Maryland), and one that had a better season than UVA at least with a post season. I don't know what happened between last year and this year for that squad, but based on last year I wouldn't be surprised to see the ACC's first loss coming from them.

Well, William & Mary is like a lot of mid-majors that have success in years when they are loaded with veteran talent, then have to step back and rebuild.

They did have a pretty good season in 2010 -- 22-11 with a first-round NIT loss to UNC. But they lost three starters to graduation, including their best two players (Schneider and Sumner). They have one senior and two juniors this season with four sophomores and four freshmen. They were picked 8th in the CAA preseason poll.

A year ago, they were probably better than Virginia. But this isn't the same W&M team ... and the game is in C'ville. An upset is possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

JBDuke
11-08-2010, 07:25 AM
I don't know anything about Stetson this year, but they've had decent teams in the past. As for Wake Forest, I expect them to be pretty lousy unless they've been very quick to adapt to Coach Bzdelik's unusual offense. If Stetson is any good (even by their standards), I think they could make it tough for the Deacs on Friday.

whereinthehellami
11-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the thread. This one would be a good thread to do a weekly basis during the season.

Olympic Fan
11-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't know anything about Stetson this year, but they've had decent teams in the past. As for Wake Forest, I expect them to be pretty lousy unless they've been very quick to adapt to Coach Bzdelik's unusual offense. If Stetson is any good (even by their standards), I think they could make it tough for the Deacs on Friday.

You must be an old-timer (like me). I also remember the tough, dangerous Stetson teams of the 1980s -- they gave a young Coach K some of his most anxious moments. They even beat Duke in Florida (is that Deland?) in 1982. But I think his biggest nightmares were in 1987 and 1988, when Duke struggled to 3-point wins in back-to-back seasons.

But this ain't that Stetson. The program has fallen on hard times. They were 7-22 last season and lose three starters off that inept bunch. They're picked 10th in the Atlantic Sun. I agree that Wake may struggle (especially early), but they ought to be able to handle them, especially in Joel.

I was checking on the opponents for our other ACC softies ... Georgia Tech is vulnerable and Charleston Southern has four starters back, but that's off a 13-17 team. They're picked sixth in the Big South. BC gets St. Francis (NY) which has four starters back off am 11-18 team. As I posted earlier, Virginia gets a William & Mary team that's rebuilding after a good season.

I think all of those teams -- Wake, Georgia Tech, Virginia and BC -- will struggle early, but they shouldn't lose to the type teams they are opening with. We'll see, but I still say any opening losses would be a huge red flag (although any opening win would be pretty meaningless).

pfrduke
11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the thread. This one would be a good thread to do a weekly basis during the season.

I'm intending to post this every Sunday evening.

Duke: A Dynasty
11-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Well I thought it was obvious that each week we will have a Duke vs whomever game thread so I thought we could have one to keep up with the rest of the ACC teams

Tonight:
Seattle at Maryland: Maryland won 105-76 with fairly balanced scoring with Sean Mosley leading the way with 21, but Jordan Williams had 17 pts with 15 boards!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=303120120

No other ACC games played.

pfrduke
11-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Well I thought it was obvious that each week we will have a Duke vs whomever game thread so I thought we could have one to keep up with the rest of the ACC teams

Tonight:
Seattle at Maryland: Maryland won 105-76 with fairly balanced scoring with Sean Mosley leading the way with 21, but Jordan Williams had 17 pts with 15 boards!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=303120120

No other ACC games played.

Maryland won easily over a much less talented opponent, but they have to be concerned about the 29 turnovers, including 7 by Adrian Bowie in just 12 minutes of action. That's a frighteningly high amount for a team wondering what it will get out of the point guard spot in the first year post GV.

Jordan Williams, though, was an absolute load, and Sean Mosley looks like he's ready to step into a lead scorer's role.

loran16
11-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Maryland won easily over a much less talented opponent, but they have to be concerned about the 29 turnovers, including 7 by Adrian Bowie in just 12 minutes of action. That's a frighteningly high amount for a team wondering what it will get out of the point guard spot in the first year post GV.

Jordan Williams, though, was an absolute load, and Sean Mosley looks like he's ready to step into a lead scorer's role.

To be fair, Maryland had 97 possessions! (Seattle had 101!). Talk about ridiculous (also i'd imagine more turnovers causes more possessions, but the Seattle fast pace also causes more opportunities for turnovers).

Odd game.

gw67
11-09-2010, 08:55 AM
I watched the Terps play last night and the following are some observations:

• The ball handling was very sloppy at times, which is to be expected with an up-tempo team and a number of newcomers. The two freshmen point guards, Stoglin and Howard, were more effective than the starter, Bowie, and it would not surprise me if one of them became the starter by mid-season.
• Mosley, Williams and Tucker are the core of this team and are solid ACC quality players. The key for G. Williams will be to find the 5-6 players to complement them.
• The three areas of concern coming into this season, IMO, were half court offense, three point shooting and foul shooting. The fast break offense was sensational at times but they only made two three-pointers and did not get a lot of baskets from their half court offense. This could be a problem against good teams that slow them down. Amazingly, their foul shooting was excellent.
• Shot blocking may be strength this year although this has to be proven against bigger and better teams.
• I liked what I saw from their newcomers. Stoglin and Howard will provide quality minutes as freshmen. Stoglin has the potential to be a star when his defense catches up to his offense while Howard appears to be a good all around player. Weijs is 6-10 and appears to be a good run-jump athlete who blocks shots. His minutes will probably be limited due to his relatively frail build. Palsson appeared to know his way around the court and will get some minutes this year on the perimeter. Parker was the highest rated of the freshmen and has obvious physical ability but it may take time for his basketball skills to catch up.

I figured that they would be a middle-of-the-pack ACC team this year and that they would improve as the season progressed. Nothing I saw last night changed my mind.

gw67

pfrduke
11-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Thought I'd update this by dropping in the Pomeroy rank for each team:

[41]Boston College hosts [260]St. Francis NY
[28]Clemson hosts [220]Western Carolina
[20]Florida State hosts [276]North Florida
[83]Georgia Tech hosts [249]Charleston Southern
[39]Miami hosts [198]Jacksonville
[12]UNC hosts [100]Lipscomb
[33]NC State hosts [219]Tennessee Tech
[62]Virginia hosts [231]William & Mary
[17]Virginia Tech hosts [263]Campbell
[107]Wake Forest hosts [298]Stetson

Only UNC plays an opponent predicted to finish above the median in the NCAA.

Also, since the plan is to update this on a Monday-Sunday schedule, I should add in the Sunday games:

[24]Maryland hosts [186]Maine
[20]Florida State travels to [313]UNC-Greensboro
[1]Duke hosts [138]Princeton

whereinthehellami
11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
[12]UNC hosts [100]Lipscomb
[1]Duke hosts [138]Princeton

Interesting that Lipscomb has a higher KenPom rank than Princeton.

MChambers
11-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Lipscomb finished last year at 181. Must have most or all players returning.

nocilla
11-09-2010, 01:31 PM

And Wake Forest.

JasonEvans
11-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Interesting that Sagarin's rankings are waaay different from KenPom.

Team Sag Pom Dif
Lipscomb 191 100 +91
Princeton 181 138 +43
Duke 1 1 0
UNC 5 12 -7
Clemson 25 28 -3
Maryland 29 24 +5
Fla St 32 20 +12
Wake 37 107 -70
Ga Tech 43 83 -40
Va Tech 46 17 -29
Miami 47 39 -8
BC 64 41 -23
NC State 65 33 -22
Virginia 77 62 -15

Clearly, Pomeroy thinks more of the ACC than Sagarin does. Also worth noting, IMO the Sagarin rankings look to mostly be total junk and have little basis in reality. Wake is waaay too high in Sagarin. Va Tech is waaay too low.

This list took longer to compile than it was worth ;)

-Jason "the differing opinions on Wake are really striking" Evans

Duvall
11-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Interesting that Sagarin's rankings are waaay different from KenPom.

Team Sag Pom Dif
Lipscomb 191 100 +91
Princeton 181 138 +43
Duke 1 1 0
UNC 5 12 -7
Clemson 25 28 -3
Maryland 29 24 +5
Fla St 32 20 +12
Wake 37 107 -70
Ga Tech 43 83 -40
Va Tech 46 17 -29
Miami 47 39 -8
BC 64 41 -23
NC State 65 33 -22
Virginia 77 62 -15

Clearly, Pomeroy thinks more of the ACC than Sagarin does. Also worth noting, IMO the Sagarin rankings look to mostly be total junk and have little basis in reality ;)

-Jason "the differing opinions on wake are really striking" Evans

That's odd. I always thought that Sagarin's early season rankings mostly just used the previous year's data until the teams were sufficiently connected to use the current year's info. But looking at UNC, that can't be the case.

Probably best to wait until both ratings become robust.

MChambers
11-09-2010, 01:42 PM
That's odd. I always thought that Sagarin's early season rankings mostly just used the previous year's data until the teams were sufficiently connected to use the current year's info. But looking at UNC, that can't be the case.

Probably best to wait until both ratings become robust.
Definitely best to wait, but then what would we discuss?

In the meantime, note that for the most part the ratings are fairly similar. Interesting.

whereinthehellami
11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Jason, good call on Wake. There is no way to justify having Wake that high. It must be a typo or mistake.

Slackerb
11-10-2010, 09:47 AM
State looked great in the exhibition game against Pfeiffer.

OF course, its Pfeiffer, but scoring 111 points against anyone, especially for State, is nice to see.

When is the last time a State team scored over 100 points?

JasonEvans
11-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Jason, good call on Wake. There is no way to justify having Wake that high. It must be a typo or mistake.

I think it is a reason to trust Pom a heck of a lot more than Sag.

Frankly, as we all know, this is really just guessing so far. Once each team has played a few game we will know a lot more. These stat-based rankings will start really making sense post-Thanksgiving, I imagine.

-Jason "still, fun to look at -- I may try to keep track of how Sag and Pom rate the ACC teams over the course of the season if anyone cares" Evans

JasonEvans
11-10-2010, 09:55 AM
When is the last time a State team scored over 100 points?

Fri Nov 19, 2004.

NCSU 100 - East Carolina 66

That is a loooong time!

--Jason "that is only regular season-- I do not know about the results of pre-season exhibitions" Evans

JasonEvans
11-11-2010, 08:14 AM
I am sure everyone is aware by now that Maryland only beat College of Charleston by 1 point.

Among the things to note--

The game was at Maryland and would have been a really ugly loss on their record had they not pulled it out
Charleston led most of the contest and apparently is a fairly decent team
It took a jumper by Maryland freshman Pe'Shon Howard with like 5 seconds left to win the game
Howard looked great, hitting 6 of 7 shots and dishing out 4 assists. He had 8 assists in their opening game
Jordan Williams is a beast and likely the best big man in the ACC. Through 2 games he is averaging 21.5 ppg and 15 rpg.
Maryland is the gang that could not shoot straight from the FT line. The Terps hit 5-18 FTs. You read that right -- 27% FT shooting. They hit 28% of their 3s, maybe they should have shot FTs from 20-feet away.
The FT shooting thing may just be a one-game blip. They hit 80% of their FTs in their first game (33-41) so it may be too early to declare this a big problem for them
Gary sweated a lot at the game ;)

--Jason "interesting result-- one which was 1 point from being bad for the ACC" Evans

gw67
11-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Jason,

All of your points are on the mark. It is not very often that a team wins when it makes 2 three-pointers to the opposition’s 8 three-pointers, and they are 5-18 from the foul line compared to 16-19 for the opposition. You didn’t mention that the Terps only made 6 shots from outside the lane (by my count). They made 28 layups or very close in shots. Somebody besides Howard needs to step up and make some mid-range and long-range shots.

As a Maryland fan, I see this game from the glass is half full perspective. It is not too long ago they had a bad loss every year. This was a win against a decent team early in the year when half the players on the team have the deer in the headlights look.

Before the start of the season, I felt that half-court offense, three-point shooting and foul shooting would be potential weak areas for the Terps. I will add another weakness. Bringing the ball up court against the press.

gw67

Olympic Fan
11-11-2010, 11:23 AM
I watched most of this game and I have to say that while it was not an impressive win, it was impressive that the Terps pulled it out.

By that I mean that for most of the game, Charleston looked like the better team. But you have to credit the Terps for finding a way to win.

gw67, I guess the "Adrian Bowie is going to be our point guard" experiment is over. Both Stoglin and Howard were more effective running the show. Big props to Howard on the last play -- it was a straight-up one-on-one move (it looked like a classic Randolph Childress move -- the back-in, followed by the quick step-out, fallaway).

We'll obviously learn more when they play Pitt next week, but I think we know enough to suggest that this is an NCAA bubble team at best -- and if that's the case, converting last night's game into a narrow win could be crucial to their hopes in March.

roywhite
11-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I am sure everyone is aware by now that Maryland only beat College of Charleston by 1 point.

Among the things to note--

The game was at Maryland and would have been a really ugly loss on their record had they not pulled it out
Charleston led most of the contest and apparently is a fairly decent team
It took a jumper by Maryland freshman Pe'Shon Howard with like 5 seconds left to win the game
Howard looked great, hitting 6 of 7 shots and dishing out 4 assists. He had 8 assists in their opening game
Jordan Williams is a beast and likely the best big man in the ACC. Through 2 games he is averaging 21.5 ppg and 15 rpg.
Maryland is the gang that could not shoot straight from the FT line. The Terps hit 5-18 FTs. You read that right -- 27% FT shooting. They hit 28% of their 3s, maybe they should have shot FTs from 20-feet away.
The FT shooting thing may just be a one-game blip. They hit 80% of their FTs in their first game (33-41) so it may be too early to declare this a big problem for them
Gary sweated a lot at the game ;)

--Jason "interesting result-- one which was 1 point from being bad for the ACC" Evans

yeah, I saw good parts of that game; nice job by MD in the last minute to get the win, but they were not impressive.

One thing I'll say about the Terps---I've seen them struggle before in early season non-conference games, and then improve into a formidable foe by the middle part of the conference season. Gary really is good at building a team, even when it looks like some parts are lacking.

JasonEvans
11-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Anyone who left Jordan Williams off their pre-season All-ACC ballot must be regretting it right about now.

--Jason "will be interesting to see how his monster games hold up as he faces increased competition" Evans

gw67
11-11-2010, 01:21 PM
gw67, I guess the "Adrian Bowie is going to be our point guard" experiment is over. Both Stoglin and Howard were more effective running the show. Big props to Howard on the last play -- it was a straight-up one-on-one move (it looked like a classic Randolph Childress move -- the back-in, followed by the quick step-out, fallaway).

We'll obviously learn more when they play Pitt next week, but I think we know enough to suggest that this is an NCAA bubble team at best -- and if that's the case, converting last night's game into a narrow win could be crucial to their hopes in March.

Olympic,

Bowie has some strengths - defensive play as part of the press and ability to drive to the hoop and to pass in the fast break. He is not a natural point guard. Howard appears to be a good all around player and the ability to be a solid point guard. I also like Stoglin as a point guard but he has some holes in his game for now. Bottom line, IMO, is that Howard and Stoglin continue to play a bunch of minutes and it would not surprise me to see Howard start prior to the beginning of the ACC season.

I see the Terps as a middle-of-the-pack ACC team. They cannot afford a bad loss or to get blown out by anyone other than the top teams if they want to be a "bubble team" for the NCAAT.

gw67

pfrduke
11-12-2010, 07:58 PM
At the half, Virginia (+1), NC State (+3), and Wake Forest (-3) collectively lead William & Mary, Tennessee Tech, and Stetson by a single point. Ugh. At least BC is ripping St. Francis. Here's to stronger second halves for those three squads.

Chard
11-12-2010, 08:31 PM
At the half, Virginia (+1), NC State (+3), and Wake Forest (-3) collectively lead William & Mary, Tennessee Tech, and Stetson by a single point. Ugh. At least BC is ripping St. Francis. Here's to stronger second halves for those three squads.

I don't know if anyone is watching the UNC Lipscomb game but if you are take a look a G Man's tie and choice of colors. Classic.

59-54 with just over 8 minutes to go.

Limscomb is in Nashville, TN fyi.

BigZ
11-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Not impressed with UNC at all, without Lipscomb making terrible mistakes the game is easily within 5 points. Good thing for Carolina the UNC-Duke game isn't anytime soon, b/c they need to improve a lot. Def not worth the top 10 ranking.

-jk
11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Looks like Pom might have had a better read on Wake. Not an auspicious start. Blech.

-jk

pfrduke
11-12-2010, 09:16 PM

This just in - Wake Forest is going to be really, really bad this year. They just lost by 10, at home, to Stetson. Yikes.

airowe
11-12-2010, 09:21 PM
[107]Wake Forest hosts [298]Stetson

Wow, they may want to switch those two...

ice-9
11-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Pomeroy 1, Sagarin 0

SCMatt33
11-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Pomeroy 1, Sagarin 0

Yeah...Leads me to wonder if Sagarin didn't take into account losing Woods. Not that he was a huge factor because of minutes, but actually had some pretty darn good tempo free numbers. Had he played enough minutes to qualify, he would have been 5th in the ACC in block rate last year, and would have been in the top 50 nationally in offensive rebounding, both pretty important stats on the inside, especially when you have to replace a guy like Aminu.

As for UNC, it's interesting to note is that Lipscomb is at 100 in Pomeroy's preseason ratings and is supposed to compete in the A-sun. Being a northerner, I didn't see the game, but it looks like Barnes can't overshadow the guard issues on his own.

Dukeface88
11-12-2010, 10:19 PM
By that I mean that for most of the game, Charleston looked like the better team. But you have to credit the Terps for finding a way to win.

I'd rather blame Cremins. How do you not foul on that last possession?

JasonEvans
11-12-2010, 11:05 PM
It looks like Barnes can't overshadow the guard issues on his own.

Carolina's starting backcourt--

Drew II - 0 for 3 from the field, 4 for 8 FTs, 2 assists, 2 turnovers
Strickland - 0 for 2 from the field, 2 for 4 FTs, 1 assist, 0 turnovers

What guard issues? ;)

In fairness, the backcourt backups had a pretty decent night. Marshall was 4-5 FGs (1-1 3FG) for 10 points with 3 assists and 2 TOs. Bullock was a gunslinger with 5-11 FGs (2-4 3FG) in just 15 mins of playing time. He's almost a shot a minute man!

On the other hand, the frontcourt was dominant including Henson who had 10 points, 17 rebounds, and 7 blocks. We'll see how he does against real big men but his performance has to have the Carolina faithful feeling good.

-Jason "of course, big stat nights from Henson make him more likely to turn pro too" Evans

Spy
11-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Carolina's starting backcourt--

Drew II - 0 for 3 from the field, 4 for 8 FTs, 2 assists, 2 turnovers
Strickland - 0 for 2 from the field, 2 for 4 FTs, 1 assist, 0 turnovers

What guard issues?

On the other hand, the frontcourt was dominant including Henson who had 10 points, 17 rebounds, and 7 blocks. We'll see how he does against real big men but his performance has to have the Carolina faithful feeling good.

-Jason "of course, big stat nights from Henson make him more likely to turn pro too" Evans

I just felt the need to point out that only one player who was 6'8" or over played for Lipscomb tonight.

Dukeface88
11-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Just checked the box score for the UNC game. They started LDII, Marshal, Bullock, Henson and Knox :confused: Seriously, what's going on with that lineup?

loran16
11-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Just checked the box score for the UNC game. They started LDII, Marshal, Bullock, Henson and Knox :confused: Seriously, what's going on with that lineup?

Roy's backups get a lot of time in the early going, even up into the start of conference play. I wouldn't pay any attention to the starters until ACC play begins.

shoutingncu
11-12-2010, 11:23 PM

I haven't looked up box scores, but when I checked Game Tracker at the start of the game, it listed Drew II, Strickland, Barnes, Henson and Zeller.

Obviously, then, I didn't get to see any of it... so I'm interested in reasonably objective observation of a score too close for my taste. I guess the calendar year 2010 will not be good to unc.

Dukeface88
11-12-2010, 11:27 PM
I haven't looked up box scores, but when I checked Game Tracker at the start of the game, it listed Drew II, Strickland, Barnes, Henson and Zeller.

Obviously, then, I didn't get to see any of it... so I'm interested in reasonably objective observation of a score too close for my taste. I guess the calendar year 2010 will not be good to unc.

I guess ESPN made a mistake. When I refreshed the page just now it was changed to what you listed.

loran16
11-12-2010, 11:30 PM
BTW, Not ACC related, but the Hurleys got a win today as Wagner beat Lafayette.

Not really a great win, but they lost to Lafayette last year to start the season, so it's at least a step up.

pjhw2021
11-13-2010, 06:25 PM
yeah, I saw good parts of that game; nice job by MD in the last minute to get the win, but they were not impressive.

One thing I'll say about the Terps---I've seen them struggle before in early season non-conference games, and then improve into a formidable foe by the middle part of the conference season. Gary really is good at building a team, even when it looks like some parts are lacking.

I agree. Their last two games weren't pretty, but the finish of the C of C game was reminiscent of many Maryland games last year--finding a way to pull it out in the very end, though then it was thanks to Vasquez, and that is something to keep in mind. I think Stoglin and Howard will add a lot to the Terps once they get a little more experience. And Jordan Williams, WOW.

But of course, they are only two games in. Only time will tell.

JBDuke
11-15-2010, 08:32 AM

You must be an old-timer (like me). I also remember the tough, dangerous Stetson teams of the 1980s -- they gave a young Coach K some of his most anxious moments. They even beat Duke in Florida (is that Deland?) in 1982. But I think his biggest nightmares were in 1987 and 1988, when Duke struggled to 3-point wins in back-to-back seasons.

But this ain't that Stetson. The program has fallen on hard times. They were 7-22 last season and lose three starters off that inept bunch. They're picked 10th in the Atlantic Sun. I agree that Wake may struggle (especially early), but they ought to be able to handle them, especially in Joel.

I was checking on the opponents for our other ACC softies ... Georgia Tech is vulnerable and Charleston Southern has four starters back, but that's off a 13-17 team. They're picked sixth in the Big South. BC gets St. Francis (NY) which has four starters back off am 11-18 team. As I posted earlier, Virginia gets a William & Mary team that's rebuilding after a good season.

I think all of those teams -- Wake, Georgia Tech, Virginia and BC -- will struggle early, but they shouldn't lose to the type teams they are opening with. We'll see, but I still say any opening losses would be a huge red flag (although any opening win would be pretty meaningless).

I'm not real happy about the Wake loss, as that'll drag the whole conference's RPI down, but I do enjoy geting one up on Olympic Fan! (Don't worry, Oly, it won't last long.) :-)