PDA

View Full Version : Duke 55, Virginia 48 Post Game Thread

Bob Green
11-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Discuss the game here. We ran the ball 45 times for 228 yards!

SCMatt33
11-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Raise your hand if you thought that Duke would win 55-48 in a game with only 3 total punts if I had told you that after the first drive of the game, Duke would not score another passing touchdown. Does anyone know the last time (if ever) Duke scored SIX rushing touchdowns or had FOUR different players score rushing touchdowns. That's pretty good for a team that was among the worst rushing offenses in football last year.

timmy c
11-06-2010, 04:08 PM
The win moves Duke into a tie with UVA at 1-4 in the Coastal division. Any chance they can finish this season outside the conference basement?

D.C. Devil
11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
The win moves Duke into a tie with UVA at 1-4 in the Coastal division. Any chance they can finish this season outside the conference basement?

Sure we can! No guaranteed wins left on either team's schedule, but we've got BC at home and UVa's got BC on the road. And even if we both finish 1-7, I say that today means that they'd be in basement, not us.

Duvall
11-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Sure we can! No guaranteed wins left on either team's schedule, but we've got BC at home and UVa's got BC on the road. And even if we both finish 1-7, I say that today means that they'd be in basement, not us.

UVa also finishes the season against VPI&SU, while Duke finishes against the Heels, to whom anything could happen in the next three weeks.

Newton_14
11-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Raise your hand if you thought that Duke would win 55-48 in a game with only 3 total punts if I had told you that after the first drive of the game, Duke would not score another passing touchdown. Does anyone know the last time (if ever) Duke scored SIX rushing touchdowns or had FOUR different players score rushing touchdowns. That's pretty good for a team that was among the worst rushing offenses in football last year.

How about hanging a "Double Nickel" on a team while having under 300 yards passing? A "shootout" without the smoking gun. Fitting that the winning TD was a 35 yd rush.

This was a huge win due to how it played out. I said this in the in-game, thread as well, but losing 48-47 after how the game had evolved would have been a death sentence we likely do not recover from. Confidence is a fragile thing and that would have hurt bad.

A gutsy last drive by Renfree and the offense without Kelly or Vernon, and a center in Bryan Morgan who by all rights should be on the IR list, literally willing the team on. 4th and 19 and left for dead. Biggest play of the season.

Obviously our defense suffered late in the first half and most of the second, but unlike Wake, we overcame it.

My one constructive criticism item would be that I believe strongly in the old adage "You should only go for 2 when you have to". Up 40 to 28, I understand getting to a 14 point lead would be nice, but at that point it is not needed. Kick the extra point. When UVA scored the 2nd touchdown after that, it forces them to decide to kick for the tie or go for 2 with the lead. WHo knows how they play it, but it could have led to us being tied at 48 on our last drive instead of down 1.

In the end it did not matter, and we get just a huge win. Let's see if these kids can work some magic in the last 3 games and get to 6 and 6 or, 5 and 7.

Go Duke!!!

-bdbd
11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
This was a great game, and a tremendous showing by the Duke Offense. It just seemed like everything they did worked very well. We even overcame some tough injuries at key positions (WR) - hope they are short-term - and stayed aggressive to the end, unlike in Annapolis. Receiving by Helfet (7 rec, 122 yds, 1 TD) and Varner (4 rec for 73 yds) was just incredible. I loved the extra effort on his last catch at the 1-minute mark by Helfet to gain a critical extra 5 yards and into FG range. Renfree is really showing why Cut has so much faith in him -- 17 of 29 for 220 yds and ZERO INT's -- continuing the momentum from last week (sure is nice to jump out to early leads!). And Scott (17 rushes, 97 yds and 2 rec, 33 yds) and Connette running (12 rushes for 78 yds, 2 TDs and a 2-pt conversion) and passing (TD!) made a huge difference in this game - and seemed to surprise UVA. Of note: amazingly, all but one of our TD's came on the ground!

On the other hand, the Defense seemed to play much of the day on their heels. I was constantly disappointed by the lack of aggressive play, letting the UVA make the plays and then just reacting to them downfield. They really need to internalize the ideals of initiating action, aggressiveness, toughness (meanness?). Since we seem so passive in the D-backfield, I would think the coaches would send more blitzes, to at least disrupt the QB's timing/comfort, rather than letting him park in there and pick us apart. Ugh!

Great win for Duke. Very exciting game. Gutsy offensive play. (Wasn't the play of the game the 25 yard completion on 4th (?) and 18 from our own 20 with 1:30 to play??!)

Only 3 more wins to bowl eligibility!! Go Duke!!!

;) :D :D :cool:

nocilla
11-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Great win and a very exciting game!

D.C. Devil
11-06-2010, 04:32 PM
My one constructive criticism item would be that I believe strongly in the old adage "You should only go for 2 when you have to". Up 40 to 28, I understand getting to a 14 point lead would be nice, but at that point it is not needed. Kick the extra point. When UVA scored the 2nd touchdown after that, it forces them to decide to kick for the tie or go for 2 with the lead. WHo knows how they play it, but it could have led to us being tied at 48 on our last drive instead of down 1.

I agree with your point that going for 2 was maybe a questionable call, but I'm not sure your arithmetic is right. If Duke had kicked the extra point to go to 41-28, two UVa TDs and two extra points would give them the lead. As it worked out, UVa went for 2 later in the game to try to stretch a 1 pt lead to a FG advantage. Since they failed, all of the PAT decisions washed each other out.

loran16
11-06-2010, 04:43 PM

Possibly, BC is very winnable, and UNC is very upset-able.

----------------------------------------------------------------
RECAP:

Reversing my usual order:

The Bad:

Run D: The Pass D looked awful at times. But the Pass D came up with THREE Turnovers (and it should've been 4). The Run D...well there were no mitigating factors. My god was it bad. Guys kept missing tackles, allowing for way too many 10+ yard runs.

D-Line: Verica had basically all day all game, with 1 sack (the immediate sack when the Center fell down) aside from teh 2 point conversion. I understand that UVA's O Line could have a few NFL players on it, but seriously...you gotta put some pressure on occasionally.

Clock Management and the final Squib: Listen, it all worked out okay. But when you're going for the 2 score lead, the team constantly snapped the ball with over 20 seconds left on the play clock. Unacceptable. Also that Squib on the final drive was stupid as hell. Special Teams was a real bright spot, with Snyderwine almost getting it to the end zone even with tough wind, and yet we gave them a 40 yard head start just to be super duper safe. Bad Idea.

The Refs: Just Miserable. Bad Call on the Cockrell INT in the end zone. and early in the first half, the Refs were miserable in calling on UVA two Personal Fouls (one while UVA was on offense for a late hit). Yes they helped Duke, but both god that's bad.
--------------------

The Good:

Lots good here guys, very well done.

Will Snyderwine - It should say a lot about how good he is that he's being mentioned first here. A whole bunch of touchbacks, a perfect long range FG and one from shorter range, he's just on top of his game the whole time. Oh and the onside kick too.

Sean Renfree - Okay, so 17/29 isn't 28/30....but he was amazing. 4th and 18? No Problem. Oh and an amazing and HUGE 38 yard rushing TD. After being knocked out of the game in the 3rd Quarter, he came back even stronger. Great Great Game. (Oh and No INTs).

Brandon Connette and the Option Play: It seemed that earlier in the year Connette would just come in like a normal QB and then rush. Today, they used him in a triple-option like play, where Vernon (and then Varner) would come around to fake the end around. When Connette did hand it to Varner, BAM Touchdown. And Connette added 1 of his own (and the 2 point conversion). The play is really smart...if Connette passes, it can threaten a lot of yards, while simultaneously disguising the Connette run by adding a 3rd realisitc option in the end around.

Ross Cockrell with 3 Interceptions: Otherwise his coverage wasn't great, but 2 of these were huge.

Desmond Scott and Cooper Helfet: Both players made big mistakes: Helfet dropped a clear 3rd down conversion and potential big play in the 3rd quarter than resulted in a punt and UVA coming back, while Scott nearly fumbled away the game. But both bounced back...Helfet had some amazing catches and Scott took the final toss for the score. Great Plays

----------------------------------------------------------------
Overall, Duke has won an acc game for the third straight year, and has 3 wins. A win vs BC is very possible next week. Remember when doomsayers were predicting 1-11? This is NO Ted Roof team.

Injuries are a concern...I expect Kelly back next week, but Conner might be out and a lot of our guys looked hurt through this game (Not Tyree Watkins, who IMO was clearly faking an injury to get an injury time out on the final drive.). I'm hoping for 5 wins, with wins over UNC and BC in our last 3.

LETS GO DUKE!

Newton_14
11-06-2010, 04:44 PM
I agree with your point that going for 2 was maybe a questionable call, but I'm not sure your arithmetic is right. If Duke had kicked the extra point to go to 41-28, two UVa TDs and two extra points would give them the lead. As it worked out, UVa went for 2 later in the game to try to stretch a 1 pt lead to a FG advantage. Since they failed, all of the PAT decisions washed each other out.

You are correct. I referenced the wrong UVA TD, and my math was off anyway. As it played out, UVA would have kicked the extra point on the TD that got them to 48 points, so we would have been down one on that last drive either way. Sorry, my mistake there.

Bob Green
11-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Ross Cockrell with 3 Interceptions: Otherwise his coverage wasn't great, but 2 of these were huge.

Overall, I completely agree with your analysis, however...

In defense of Cockrell, and I'm no football Xs & Os man, so take my comments for what they are worth (not much), he is suppose to get safety help deep on some of those plays where it appears he gets burned, but the safety was late getting over.

sagegrouse
11-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Here's the key sequence, beginning at 4th and 18 with just over a minute left:

1. Sagegrouse gives up -- no chance for Duke

2. Renfree connects with Varner for 31 yards for a first down

3. Renfree passes to Helfet, who bulled for 12 yards

4. Ball is spiked to stop clock

5. Renfree pitches to Scott who roars down the left sideline for a TD

6. Sagegrouse regains hope, is sheepish about giving up

sagegrouse

Dev11
11-06-2010, 05:22 PM
This is Cut's first win at Duke in November. He has stressed a lot how important November is, how teams are judged by their performance in November, and today was a great stride for the program in that regard.

watzone
11-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Here are Coach Cutcliffe's post game comments to the media - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/a-happy-coach-david-cutliffe-talks-dukes-big-win-over-virginia/ Nice win for Duke, team and all around the program are very happy.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-06-2010, 06:02 PM
I think it's funny that if you scroll down a little the #1 most similar thread is:

Duke 57, Virginia 46 Post-Game Thread

Which is apparently a win in the ACC Tourney by our 2010 National Champion Basketball Team.

What does it all mean?

I'm going with "nothing".

jimsumner
11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Possibly, BC is very winnable, and UNC is very upset-able.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Refs: Just Miserable. Bad Call on the Cockrell INT in the end zone. and early in the first half, the Refs were miserable in calling on UVA two Personal Fouls (one while UVA was on offense for a late hit). Yes they helped Duke, but both god that's bad.

FWIW, Cockrell said after the game that the INT in the end zone hit the ground and said the official made a "great call."

Jim3k
11-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Anyone know if ESPN3 will put the Uva game up for replay?

loran16
11-06-2010, 06:22 PM
FWIW, Cockrell said after the game that the INT in the end zone hit the ground and said the official made a "great call."

Thanks Jim. Interesting. In which case, Duke got lucky with first Q calls against UVA.

Good to know.

NEXT GAME!

EDIT: Jim3K, all ESPN3 games are up for replay.

Jim3k
11-06-2010, 06:24 PM
EDIT: Jim3K, all ESPN3 games are up for replay.

Supposedly. But not listed at the website so far.

Duvall
11-06-2010, 06:26 PM

Wait, are you including the play where two Virginia defenders hit Renfree as he ran out of bounds, one of which hit him three yards past the sideline? Because unless you're playing Virginia Tech, that's a penalty.

loran16
11-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Wait, are you including the play where two Virginia defenders hit Renfree as he ran out of bounds, one of which hit him three yards past the sideline? Because unless you're playing Virginia Tech, that's a penalty.

That first one (I'm including it) was borderline. it was just as he stepped out and by momentum.

The second was clearly bad.

EDIT: Jim3K, huh, maybe it'll be up later.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-06-2010, 06:43 PM
I posted the first time 3 weeks ago after another loss. There was a lot of negativety, but as the eternal optimist I thought we had a young, but talented team, that just needed some confidence. Today I saw something I have rarely seen over the last 40 years, that was Duke coming from behind not once but twice in the second half. It seems like we used to regularly lose games like this to NC State. I think that what Cut brings to the table is what all good coaches have, the ability to instill in the kids that they can win. I actually was thrilled when UVA scored so quickly after the fumble. I thought we had a chance to win since we only needed a field goal. Boy, did Desomnd redeem himself. And I agree Renfree's 4th down pass when he need 18 yards was the biggest play in Duke football since I can remember. I think we have some more wins left this year, but I think we are going to be very good next year, with the young talented kids we have.

Jim3k
11-06-2010, 07:00 PM
EDIT: Jim3K, huh, maybe it'll be up later.

Found it!

arnie
11-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Wildest game I've ever seen at Duke work out the way it should have!

A game that no one should have missed - that message goes out to all the season ticket holders and students that weren't there today.

RelativeWays
11-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I was there, felt like collapsing when Verica's shot at the endzone went incomplete. There are things to fix here but this team DID NOT quit. Just wow.

Also, UVA is a little dirty now. They love leading with the helmet under London I guess.

Couple of questionable calls maybe made this game closer than it should have been, the INT that wasn't and the fumble caused by the ground. Great dive and redemption by Dez though.

Mike Corey
11-06-2010, 07:20 PM
My favorite part of the game was after Duke converted the two-point conversion, and Cutcliffe made it clear to his center how appreciative he was of all the good work he'd done all game. What a display of emotion.

Keep up the work, Devils.

loran16
11-06-2010, 07:28 PM
I was there, felt like collapsing when Verica's shot at the endzone went incomplete. There are things to fix here but this team DID NOT quit. Just wow.

Also, UVA is a little dirty now. They love leading with the helmet under London I guess.

Couple of questionable calls maybe made this game closer than it should have been, the INT that wasn't and the fumble caused by the ground. Great dive and redemption by Dez though.

On Replay, ball looked out before the knee hit the ground.

The interception, looked good on replay, but Jim Sumner posted earlier in this thread that Cockrell said the ball hit the ground after the game and the refs got it right.

Duke84
11-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Don't think I ever saw that before, but I did see Duke with three 100 yard rushers in the same game. My best guess is 1982, and I believe the RBs were Mike Grayson, Joel Blunk, and Carl Franks. As I have never walked out of a Duke football game sober, I may have all 3 backs wrong.

Duke84
11-06-2010, 07:35 PM
November 7, 1981
Duke has three players rush for over
100 yards in a 31-10 win at Wake Forest
... Blue Devils Mike Grayson (21-118),
Joel Blunk (20-110) and Greg Boone
(16-101) all top the 100-yard barrier
on the day.

Got the year and one of the backs wrong - and I should have remembered with it being my only trip to W-S to see a game at Wake. At least I didn't drive.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey Duke Students - you missed one helluva football game today. Where were you? The team noticed you weren't there. What's your excuse? This is what your classmate Brett Huffman had to say about you on Facebook.

Duke's students are the worst fans in Division 1 football... I hate all of you so much... but i do love being a BRO, i do love AMERICA, and i do love WINNING
We Crusties saw you weren't there too. I hope you show up in force next Saturday. Another noon start. Don't get so sh** faced drunk on Friday night that you can't drag your sorry butts out of bed by 11 a.m. and get over to Wallace Wade Stadium.

RelativeWays
11-06-2010, 08:10 PM
On Replay, ball looked out before the knee hit the ground.

The interception, looked good on replay, but Jim Sumner posted earlier in this thread that Cockrell said the ball hit the ground after the game and the refs got it right.

When they showed the replay on the jumbotron, the ball looked like it popped out right after Dez hit the ground on his back. Again, I think even college replay is supposed to be indisputable evidence to overturn so maybe there wasn't enough.

Cockrell knows those evil ACC refs will stick it to us against BC if he calls their shenanigans, and besides, he's a Duke player so he's naturally going to take the high road. :p I seriously do not know how that was not an INT. It was a phenomenal effort by Cockrell.

loran16
11-06-2010, 08:21 PM
When they showed the replay on the jumbotron, the ball looked like it popped out right after Dez hit the ground on his back. Again, I think even college replay is supposed to be indisputable evidence to overturn so maybe there wasn't enough.

Cockrell knows those evil ACC refs will stick it to us against BC if he calls their shenanigans, and besides, he's a Duke player so he's naturally going to take the high road. :p I seriously do not know how that was not an INT. It was a phenomenal effort by Cockrell.

I'm not going the argue the INT, because I agreed with you on replay.

The fumble though was good. On replay, the ball was clearly jarred loose before he hit the ground, though it was upon hitting the ground that the ball clearly separated from his body (Basically he was juggling it and no longer had control before he hit the ground).

@Ozzie, once again, you need to understand the culture at Duke. There are several factors in why the students aren't coming out for the games:
1. Football has a culture of losing. The early losses this year didn't help that. The fans also aren't used to being huge supporters of football (whereas they expect to be huge bball supporters) and thus are very fickle. Early losses kill attendance.
2. It's the last month before finals. Duke is still an academic institution, one of the best in the Country. The fans are less likely to commit to leaving study time during the day at this time for a sport they're not used to supporting.

Duke BBall is different (and even there there's been times the last couple of seasons where it wasn't as full as it should've been). The kids come to Duke expecting to support it, and are thus more willing to do so. It helps also that ACC season is in the start of the semester rather than at the end. Football on the other hand is something these kids wouldn't have cared for or noticed prior to coming. And so they make the choice to sacrifice it.

-------

If we want to get fuller crowds, we need to foster a culture of winning...and we're trying. Cutcliffe has clearly improved the team. But really, even 4 wins won't be able to wipe out the culture fostered by a team that went 10-72 from 2000-2007 (with 3 winless seasons). The team needs to go to a Bowl, then repeat that success the next year.

EDIT: Once again, it'd help if Duke-UNC WASNT ON THANKSGIVING WHEN THE MAJORITY OF STUDENTS ARENT AT DUKE. Major Pet Peeve of mine.

devildeac
11-06-2010, 08:40 PM

How about the one where they knocked Renfree outta the game and then 2 of them did a aerial chest bump about mid-field? Oh, and no "excessive celebration" penalty for that one? BS.

Also overheard by one of the managers on the uva sidelines after Refree was knocked outta the game: Just like we did to Jacory Harris.

They could have flagged them for another couple unsportmanslike conduct penalties as far as I was concerned. They looked like they were playing "beamer ball.":mad:

Duvall
11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
EDIT: Once again, it'd help if Duke-UNC WASNT ON THANKSGIVING WHEN THE MAJORITY OF STUDENTS ARENT AT DUKE. Major Pet Peeve of mine.

On the plus side, if what you said before is accurate it probably won't make a difference before 2013 at the earliest. So why worry?

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-06-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm not going the argue the INT, because I agreed with you on replay.

The fumble though was good. On replay, the ball was clearly jarred loose before he hit the ground, though it was upon hitting the ground that the ball clearly separated from his body (Basically he was juggling it and no longer had control before he hit the ground).

@Ozzie, once again, you need to understand the culture at Duke. There are several factors in why the students aren't coming out for the games:
1. Football has a culture of losing. The early losses this year didn't help that. The fans also aren't used to being huge supporters of football (whereas they expect to be huge bball supporters) and thus are very fickle. Early losses kill attendance.
2. It's the last month before finals. Duke is still an academic institution, one of the best in the Country. The fans are less likely to commit to leaving study time during the day at this time for a sport they're not used to supporting.

Duke BBall is different (and even there there's been times the last couple of seasons where it wasn't as full as it should've been). The kids come to Duke expecting to support it, and are thus more willing to do so. It helps also that ACC season is in the start of the semester rather than at the end. Football on the other hand is something these kids wouldn't have cared for or noticed prior to coming. And so they make the choice to sacrifice it.

-------

If we want to get fuller crowds, we need to foster a culture of winning...and we're trying. Cutcliffe has clearly improved the team. But really, even 4 wins won't be able to wipe out the culture fostered by a team that went 10-72 from 2000-2007 (with 3 winless seasons). The team needs to go to a Bowl, then repeat that success the next year.

I think our students need to get off their butts and get to the game. No excuses.

loran16
11-06-2010, 08:50 PM
On the plus side, if what you said before is accurate it probably won't make a difference before 2013 at the earliest. So why worry?

UNC-Duke is different...kids would show up just because of the Rivalry. Putting it on Thanksgiving kills that.

I think our students need to get off their butts and get to the game. No excuses.

Think it all you want, it won't work.

duke09hms
11-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey Duke Students - you missed one helluva football game today. Where were you? The team noticed you weren't there. What's your excuse? I hope you show up in force next Saturday. Another noon start. Don't get so sh** faced drunk on Friday night that you can't drag your sorry butts out of bed by 11 a.m. and get over to Wallace Wade Stadium.

Are you seriously asking "What is your excuse?" Duke is not a service academy where students are forced to go to football games. They go if they want to, and honestly, there is precious little reason for them to go. There was great turnout for the Elon win and the Alabama/Army losses. The Army loss in particular was a killer in many ways not just on the field. The whole 1-6 start wasn't helpful either.

Look the students know that duke football has been horrendous for almost the last two decades, and they know that things are improving, but can you expect them to come out in force for a 2-6 team with a 1-6 start? Plus there's the whole student body argument of ~6000 undergrads who have many other obligations unlike many other football schools.

The students arent the issue here, the football team's history and current record are.

jimsumner
11-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Wildest game I've ever seen at Duke work out the way it should have!

A game that no one should have missed - that message goes out to all the season ticket holders and students that weren't there today.

Cutcliffe shared similar sentiments. Lots of praise for the regulars who showed up. The folks who didn't? Missed a helluva game.

CBDUKE
11-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Wow! What a game. Not much to add to what has been said except this was one of the best games I've seen in almost 60 years of Duke football. To bad some missed it.

cspan37421
11-06-2010, 09:03 PM

If you build it, they will come.

Simple as that, really.

DownEastDevil
11-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Cutcliffe shared similar sentiments. Lots of praise for the regulars who showed up. The folks who didn't? Missed a helluva game.

Great game to watch even though I was sitting there thinking we found another way to lose when we were down one and facing 4th and 18. I took a friend today and he already ask if he could come back with me next week. We had a great time.

Devilsfan
11-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Some random thoughts.
It was too cold for the student body to come out especially since Daddy didn't have his butler deliver the winter woredrobe yet.
The refs were pathetic. They were afraid to make a call even if they were directly infront of the play. When they gathered to discuss a play it looked like they were asking each other what penalty was associated with the call if they went ahead and made a decission.
How many games can we out score our opponent without EVER stopping our opposition?
We did have 3 ints today and held UVA to under 700 total yards.
A wins a win. I'll take it. Atleast we didn't have to rely on the FG gods for a wide right.
Our offense played attack football not prevent, try and run the clock down..I loved that. Go Devils

duke09hms
11-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Some random thoughts.
It was too cold for the student body to come out especially since Daddy didn't have his butler deliver the winter woredrobe yet.

Those who have not been Duke students have no right to judge and criticize.

That being said, GREAT GAME, I loved the aggressive offense and for the 2nd week in the row, our defense was destroyed for most of the game but held firm at the end for the win. Gotta keep improving, I'll be tuning in for Duke-BC next week, hopefully on espn3.

GO DUKE! Beat BC!

Cell-R
11-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Those who have not been Duke students have no right to judge and criticize.

+1

I would have been there today if I didn't have a Global Health field trip...

My bad for putting school first.

And believe it or not, daddy's butler doesn't exist. So keep your comments to yourself, bud.

Bob Green
11-06-2010, 09:34 PM
This thread is a celebration of the football team's great victory over Virginia today so let's keep the focus there. All Crazies versus Crusties (which is a ridiculous conversation to start with, IMHO) should be conducted in that thread.

Go Duke! Beat Boston College!

Thanks for understanding!

Cell-R
11-06-2010, 09:36 PM
This thread is a celebration of the football team's great victory over Virginia today so let's keep the focus there. All Crazies versus Crusties (which is a ridiculous conversation to start with, IMHO) should be conducted in that thread.

Go Duke! Beat Boston College!

Thanks for understanding!

No problem.

Go Duke!

killerleft
11-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Excuses can be made, reasons given. Explain it however you want. Here's a bottom line that really cannot be argued: Duke students are neither good nor loyal sports fans.

Sure, they'll follow the men's basketball team - as long as the basketball team is a national power. Even then, they can't collectively bother to fill up their sections half the time.

Is this good? Is this bad? Argue that all you want.

But the truth is out there for all to see. There isn't much "us" at Duke, it seems. "Me" rules, and the demanding Duke student wants to his satisfaction to be immediate. Being part of a growing football program that includes growing pains? Nope. Somehow that has become most unfashionable.

As Coach Cut said, some people missed one heck of an entertaining Duke Football win. But at least the students saw us beat Cal Roly-Poly Bologna in a meaningless basketball exhibition. Wahoo!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=444266#post444266) Hey Duke Students - you missed one helluva football game today. Where were you? The team noticed you weren't there. What's your excuse? I hope you show up in force next Saturday. Another noon start. Don't get so sh** faced drunk on Friday night that you can't drag your sorry butts out of bed by 11 a.m. and get over to Wallace Wade Stadium.

Are you seriously asking "What is your excuse?" Duke is not a service academy where students are forced to go to football games. They go if they want to, and honestly, there is precious little reason for them to go. There was great turnout for the Elon win and the Alabama/Army losses. The Army loss in particular was a killer in many ways not just on the field. The whole 1-6 start wasn't helpful either.

Look the students know that duke football has been horrendous for almost the last two decades, and they know that things are improving, but can you expect them to come out in force for a 2-6 team with a 1-6 start? Plus there's the whole student body argument of ~6000 undergrads who have many other obligations unlike many other football schools.

The students arent the issue here, the football team's history and current record are.
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying and I completely 100% disagree with your premise that Duke students shouldn't support the football team if they are, or have been, "bad". You hate football? Fine. Don't go. You like football? You like being with your friends at group activities that are exciting that they like? Go and support YOUR team. You might just decide you like it. Don't be so friggin arrogant that a losing team is beneath your time and effort. Yes, winning is one helluva lot better than losing, but I've enjoyed coming to Duke football games since 1972, win, lose or draw.

6th Man
11-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Those who have not been Duke students have no right to judge and criticize. GO DUKE! Beat BC!

First of all, what an amazing game. Still can't get over 4th and 18 and converting. WOW!!!

Sorry to bring up the student debate again, but I can't keep quiet. All I hear from the students are excuses about studying and how tough it is to be a Duke student. Which is all well and good and I understand. But I pass a large number of the student body (going the opposite direction of Wallace Wade) dressed in ridiculous garb and so full of alcohol I could get drunk off of the fumes. If I was passing students with bookbags heading to the library, I might find this debate a little more realistic. Today was extremely disturbing. I don't even like exposing my children to the walk I made to Wallace Wade today. For me that is very upsetting.

Greg_Newton
11-06-2010, 10:01 PM
As devastating as the Army game felt - to the team, fan support, and the program in general - this game feels almost as big, except in a good way.

This is the kind of game we've been losing. The kind of game where we give a solid effort for 45-55 minutes, but then in crunch time, when the men are separated from the boys, we don't step up and make bold, winning plays. There seemed to be distinct change in the teams attitude today, and it started with Renfree. There were the obvious plays like the 4th-and-long gamesaver, but even little things like how confidently and authoritively he bounced back up after a sack - he looked like a winner, not an inexperience underclassman still learning the ropes. I think his couple of TD runs were also huge in several ways... I think it helped give him a little swagger, like he realized "Hey wait - none of these guys should be able to stop me!"

I hope we're in the process of a turning point for this young core of guys - we've played a couple of good teams even, and then actually made the plays to pull it out at the end. Hopefully we can carry this confidence forward and pick off a game or two more this season, and I think we might start seeing an uptick in fan support again. Fingers crossed we don't lose too much of our already lacking depth to injury...

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2010, 10:06 PM
+1

I would have been there today if I didn't have a Global Health field trip...

My bad for putting school first.

And believe it or not, daddy's butler doesn't exist. So keep your comments to yourself, bud.
Robby, we know you're a loyal Duke football fan and would have been there if at all possible. You have an official Brunchgate hall pass any time you need it. :cool:

As for about 4500 of your classmates...

loran16
11-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying and I completely 100% disagree with your premise that Duke students shouldn't support the football team if they are, or have been, "bad". You hate football? Fine. Don't go. You like football? You like being with your friends at group activities that are exciting that they like? Go and support YOUR team. You might just decide you like it. Don't be so friggin arrogant that a losing team is beneath your time and effort. Yes, winning is one helluva lot better than losing, but I've enjoyed coming to Duke football games since 1972, win, lose or draw.

Ozzie, you've written the wrong word. They SHOULD support the football team. However, they WON'T do so. Key difference.

First of all, what an amazing game. Still can't get over 4th and 18 and converting. WOW!!!

Sorry to bring up the student debate again, but I can't keep quiet. All I hear from the students are excuses about studying and how tough it is to be a Duke student. Which is all well and good and I understand. But I pass a large number of the student body (going the opposite direction of Wallace Wade) dressed in ridiculous garb and so full of alcohol I could get drunk off of the fumes. If I was passing students with bookbags heading to the library, I might find this debate a little more realistic. Today was extremely disturbing. I don't even like exposing my children to the walk I made to Wallace Wade today. For me that is very upsetting.

Sigh, the point is the campus CULTURE.

The Campus Culture of Duke Football when I was there was (05-09):
1. Duke Football sucks, not even really worth going to see a team so bad and wasting your time, especially later in the year.
2. Tailgate rocks!

Now, is that a good culture for a football team? No. No It's not. I'm not Denying that. But that was the defined culture. Last Year, Duke collapsed late. Until then, the students came to the games. Why? Because #1 seemed to be untrue. But the background culture still existed, especially when we went 1-6! So the average potential fan thought: Oh, they suck why should I go?!

Now, yes, it's hard to believe the studying excuse when people go to tailgate. But remember, TAILGATE IS PART OF THE DUKE STUDENT CULTURE CURRENTLY. Going to Duke Football Games, which are KNOWN TO BE LOSING DEPRESSING THINGS, is NOT PART OF THE CULTURE.

The end result is that the students follow the cultural norm: Go to Tailgate, then head back to the dorm to calm down and then do work. The 3 hour commitment that is Duke Football IS NOT PART OF THE CULTURE. Tailgate IS.

-----
Duke Basketball is part of the culture of Duke Student Life. It is. And it's become so because of the following: A Trend of winning started various traditions around Duke BBall (the Crazies, K-Ville), that after multiple years of the traditions being done, became so engrained in campus culture so as to become INDEPENDENT of winning (though losing does hurt, as seen by attendance in 06-07).

Duke Football doesn't have that...By winning, and say getting to bowls for multiple years, the average student will go to the games because the team wins. Over time, the students will start going not because the team is winning, but because that's the normal thing to do. But right now, we haven't even succeeded at step 1! So Tailgate is part of Duke student Culture, while Football is not.

BD80
11-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey Duke Students - you missed one helluva football game today. Where were you? The team noticed you weren't there. What's your excuse? This is what your classmate Brett Huffman had to say about you on Facebook.

We Crusties saw you weren't there too. I hope you show up in force next Saturday. Another noon start. Don't get so sh** faced drunk on Friday night that you can't drag your sorry butts out of bed by 11 a.m. and get over to Wallace Wade Stadium.

Wrong approach.

Start a bit later on Friday evening. If you feel so compelled - do your weekend studying BEFORE you start drinking, that is what I always did (guffaw).

With a late start, party through the night, to the point where you just need to top yourself off at the pregame with a couple beers/shots or bloodies or the red bull concoction of the month. This approach can be rough for late afternoon or evening games, but works well for early games. Of course, back in my day, there was plenty of room in the bleachers to lie down and catch rays during a game

The important thing is:

BE THERE!!!

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I'll post my analytical thoughts later since I just got back home to the beach...but mostly I want to say that was soooooooo much fun!!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Ozzie, you've written the wrong word. They SHOULD support the football team.
Actually, I said it correctly and we agree - I used a double negative

I completely 100% disagree with your premise that Duke students shouldn't support the football team if they are, or have been, "bad".
I agree they should support the football team. Their current "culture", as so eloquently described above, is that of drunken sailors, except that the U. S. Navy wouldn't permit it. Why the Duke administration does is matter for another thread entirely. Will someone please pass me a beer. Or a Bud Light. Whichever is handy!:cool:

loran16
11-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Actually, I said it correctly and we agree - I used a double negative

I agree they should support the football team. Their current "culture", as so eloquently described above, is that of drunken sailors, except that the U. S. Navy wouldn't permit it. Why the Duke administration does is matter for another thread entirely. Will someone please pass me a beer. Or a Bud Light. Whichever is handy!:cool:

I've opened a new thread for this talk, lets keep it there and let this be about the great game.

dukeblue1206
11-06-2010, 10:59 PM
I was keeping up with the game on my phone with ESPN Gamecast driving home from my honeymoon. When it showed Duke converted the 4th & 18 I about ran off the road. Got home and watched the replay on ESPN3/XBOX Live to see it for myself. Great stuff.

I also just read the quotes on GoDuke and UVA Coach London seems to put all blame on players. I know when Duke loses Coach Cut puts the blame everywhere but not this guy. At least that is how I was reading into it.

alteran
11-06-2010, 11:44 PM
See the new thread, lets keep this thread for post game, not attendance.
Man, you busted me while I was moving the comment! I read sequentially.

Heckuva game today. I went through an entire adolescence worth of emotion.

6th Man
11-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Desmond Scott's run made ESPN's top 10 today combined with UVA's fake field goal run. Both came in at #6.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2010, 12:36 AM
I just watched the last 6 minutes of the game again on ESPN3. (Love the archives). That's 6 minutes of the most intense, heart-wrenching football I have ever witnessed in person. I suggest you check it out as well. The whole game is great, but that last 6 minutes is insane. And it takes about a half hour. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2010, 12:37 AM
What an awesome photo!

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/11/06/785448/duke-scores-late-to-defeat-uva.html

SharkD
11-07-2010, 12:44 AM
What an awesome photo!

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/11/06/785448/duke-scores-late-to-defeat-uva.html

In Naval aviation parlance, I believe this is referred to as a mid-air engagement. (Great job, Desmond!)

Cell-R
11-07-2010, 01:32 AM
I just watched the last 6 minutes of the game again on ESPN3. (Love the archives). That's 6 minutes of the most intense, heart-wrenching football I have ever witnessed in person. I suggest you check it out as well. The whole game is great, but that last 6 minutes is insane. And it takes about a half hour. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#)
I just did. That was fantastic. What a game. We can rush. That's so weird to say.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2010, 01:01 AM
One last "last comment" before I give my game thoughts. (It's a hard one to decompress from.) Thanks to all from DBR and CTN that stopped by and helped make another Brunchgate a huge success. The food is always great, but I think it's just a bit tastier after a victory.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-07-2010, 08:47 AM
This morning I'm recovering from the weather conditions and O dark 30 start yesterday. As I reflect on yesterday, that game has to be one of the best football games in Wallace Wade in many years. What an action-packed game! It may be easier on the constitution to witness an easy win, but you really get your "money's worth" with a game like that one yesterday! The game atmosphere was exciting enough to require EMS in the next section near the end of the game.... this is not a figure of speech.

I appreciated Coach Cutcliffe's comments in the post game interview. When he was asked about highlights or top plays of the game, he replied that there were so many that he felt overwhelmed..... didn't know where to start talking about them.

Great win in November! Great streak against Virginia!

This is the Duke team I've been anticipating all season.

dukeENG2003
11-07-2010, 10:10 AM
We made sportscenter "top plays"! Unfortunately the highlight started with the UVA fake FG, but ended with Scott's dive for the endzone!

To be fair, the weather before the game didn't exactly encourage people to come out. Not an excuse, but fact. It was cold and rainy (it lightened up and got nice for the game).

If Cut keeps them playing like this, it'll be good and the students will come around. Lets focus on the big win instead of ripping our own.

sandinmyshoes
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
No doubt we need to improve on defense, but I love what Coach Cut is doing with this offense. And I think that is the way a smaller school has to approach BCS level football. We need spark and gambling on offense. It was the formula Steve Spurrier used to get results when he was here. It does put a lot of pressure on our defense. Defenses are often as good as the ball control of their offense. But I'd rather win a shootout than lose by two touchdowns in a low scoring affair.

watzone
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/bdns-sunday-quarterback-recapping-dukes-win-over-virginia/ Sunday Quarterback examines the Duke-Virginia game and recaps the action and after thoughts.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Post game thoughts (past the fact that it was insanely fun to watch and experience).
The defense was a walking dichotomy, showing both brilliance and flat play. Cockrell gets 2 great interceptions (and almost a third) as UVA throw us the ball 3 times. And yet Dontrelle Inman still has an amazing day pulling in 10 catches for 239 yards! (He was 3 yards short of the school record.) There were some amazing catches that he made (such as in the 4th quarter when he almost ran it in but was called OB), but some were just gifts to him. On serveral catches our backs weren't within 5 yards of the open receivers. That's frustrating to watch.
One quick note about that catch I mentioned. I watched on the replay...and just before he crosses the goal line he drops the ball. (I'm assuming he heard the refs whistle him out.) The officials then reviewed the play to make sure he was actually out. Since he intentionally fumbles before he crossed the line, and then the ball rolled into the endzone, who's ball would have that been? If it was ours that would have been huge because UVA would not have had their last TD.
The last great bit of great defense was the hit and sack delivered to Verica preventing UVA's 2 point conversion. That was huge and needed.
I loved our offense, I loved the way Cutcliffe used both Connette and Renfree. I'm not often a big fan of a 2 QB system, but coach Cut is using it very smartly and it's working. Two get over 230 yards rushing was great to see. Renfree used his feet so well; he escaped some sure fire sacks and turned those opportunities into big plays. Kudos also to special teams play. Snyderwine's kickoffs were sweet, most of them were boomed into the endzone. One beef is I'm not sure why we used Vernon for the kickoff returns. I know he can catch and run, but to put a valuable receiver in front of a moving freight train, when our receiving corps is already banged up, seems questionable to me. Hopefully he is ok; after the game he said he was, but for all I know he might have been saying that to both of me.
To me there are 4 reasons why we won the game.

1.Our solid offense. Just under 500 yards split evenly between rushing and passing.

2.Our ball control. We only turned the ball over once (which did result in points), but we won the turnover battle for the game.

3.Forced turnovers. Great day for Russ Cockrell.

4.UVA penalties. I love seeing the other team shoot themselves in the foot. UVA had 11 for 103 yards. Three of those were inconsequential to the play they occured on as they were late hits or other personal fouls. And that's the ones that were called, they beat up poor Will Snyderwine every chance they got, and those were on kicks that were called as fair catches. Anyway...thanks for keeping our ball moving Cavs.

sandinmyshoes
11-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I just did. That was fantastic. What a game. We can rush. That's so weird to say.

I may try that tomorrow. The last six minutes nearly killed me yesterday. I don't need to tempt fate.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-07-2010, 12:03 PM

If you missed the game yesterday, or even if you watched it, if you enjoy Duke football at all, you should go to ESPN3.com and watch the fourth quarter. I guarantee it will bring you the biggest smile of the day. I still can't believe we pulled it out. I cannot remember us ever winning a shootout like this one.:D

OldPhiKap
11-07-2010, 12:37 PM
What a great win. I love how the offense kept matching UVA challenge after challenge.

Now, please, my heart would do much better if we could stop giving up the big passes!!!

I am very happy for the players and staff. Now, time to make it three in a row.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
What a great win. I love how the offense kept matching UVA challenge after challenge.

Now, please, my heart would do much better if we could stop giving up the big passes!!!

I am very happy for the players and staff. Now, time to make it three in a row.

You are not alone in having a high level of anxiety during the fourth quarter! Near the end of the game, someone in Section 25 needed medical attention ASAP.

Establishing a pattern of winning the close ones is an important party of a winning tradition and a winning frame of mind.

I hope the excitement and improvement on the field will bring more people to the last two home games. Great seats are available!

Olympic Fan
11-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Just a few additional thoughts about the game ...

-- Duke's first November win since Nov. 13, 2004 -- six years ago! It breaks a streak of 20 straight November losses (last November win was when Matt Brooks kicked a 53-yard field goal on the last play of regulation to beat Clemson 16-13).

-- Duke's first come-from-behind win in the last minute since Tom Cochran kicked a 28-yard field goal with four seconds left to beat Army 23-21 in West Point on Sept. 16, 1995.

-- Duke's third straight victory over Virginia marks the first time Duke has beaten any foe in three straight seasons since three straight wins over Wake 1993-94-95. Before that, you have to go back to Spurrier (who was 3-0 vs. both UNC and Georgia tech from 1987-89).

-- With 219 yards passing, Renfree raised his season total to 2,270 yards. That's the 12th best single-season total in Duke history, already. With three more games, Renfree has a reasonable shot at 3,000 yards -- a total that three different players have reached a total of four times (Bennett did it twice, Dilweg and Thad Lewis once each). With just modest success the rest of the way, Renfree should finish with one of the top five passing yardage seasons in Duke history. Alsom, his current completion percentage (.585 -- 196 of 335) would rank 10th best in Duke history. FWIW, Boston College, coming to town next week, ranks 10th in the ACC in pass defense.

-- Desmond Scott raised his season rushing total to 489 yards, which might not sound like much, but it's the most for a Duke RB since Chris Douglas rushed for over 1,000 yards in 2003. He is also on opace to lead Duke in rushing in back-to-back years ... which would be the first time that happened since Douglas did it in 2000 and 2001 (Douglas also did it in 2003, but Alex Wade was the leading rushing in 2002). Going to be tough this week -- BC might be vulnerable to the pass, but they are No. 1 in the ACC against the run.

-- Snyderwine is approaching the records he set last season for most FGs in a season (he had 17 ... he now had 15) and FG percentage (he set the record with 17 of 19 ... he now has 15 of 16). In just two years, he has 32 field goals, tying Scott McKinney for sixth place on th Duke career list. He needs five more to catch Doug Peterson for second place (although Sims Lenhardt in first is way ahead with 55 career FGs). Snyderwine is 27-of-27 on extra points this year, already the fourth best perfect single season ... Randy Garner has the record at 32-of-32. For his career, Snyderwine is 51-of-51 -- one better than the record, which ironically, was held by his backup, Nick Maggio (50 for 50). Of course, one miss and that's gone. Also, Snyderwine's 51 straight PATs are 11 short of Sims Lenhardt's school record of 62 straight PATs.

Just interesting stuff ... really enteresting that Snyderwine DID miss a PAT Saturday ... but Duke was in motion on the play and it didn't count. After the five-yard penalty, he kept his streak alive.

SoCalDukeFan
11-07-2010, 01:30 PM
The LA Times (and I assume they got it from the AP or somebody) has an Atlantic Coast Conference Report. It shows Duke beating Virginia 55 to 48. However in the standings in shows Duke at 0 - 4 in the ACC and 2 -6 overall.

SoCal

chrishoke
11-07-2010, 01:44 PM
What an awesome photo!

Just set that great pic as my wallpaper.

devildeac
11-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Post game thoughts (past the fact that it was insanely fun to watch and experience).
The defense was a walking dichotomy, showing both brilliance and flat play. Cockrell gets 2 great interceptions (and almost a third) as UVA throw us the ball 3 times. And yet Dontrelle Inman still has an amazing day pulling in 10 catches for 239 yards! (He was 3 yards short of the school record.) There were some amazing catches that he made (such as in the 4th quarter when he almost ran it in but was called OB), but some were just gifts to him. On serveral catches our backs weren't within 5 yards of the open receivers. That's frustrating to watch.
One quick note about that catch I mentioned. I watched on the replay...and just before he crosses the goal line he drops the ball. (I'm assuming he heard the refs whistle him out.) The officials then reviewed the play to make sure he was actually out. Since he intentionally fumbles before he crossed the line, and then the ball rolled into the endzone, who's ball would have that been? If it was ours that would have been huge because UVA would not have had their last TD.
The last great bit of great defense was the hit and sack delivered to Verica preventing UVA's 2 point conversion. That was huge and needed.
I loved our offense, I loved the way Cutcliffe used both Connette and Renfree. I'm not often a big fan of a 2 QB system, but coach Cut is using it very smartly and it's working. Two get over 230 yards rushing was great to see. Renfree used his feet so well; he escaped some sure fire sacks and turned those opportunities into big plays. Kudos also to special teams play. Snyderwine's kickoffs were sweet, most of them were boomed into the endzone. One beef is I'm not sure why we used Vernon for the kickoff returns. I know he can catch and run, but to put a valuable receiver in front of a moving freight train, when our receiving corps is already banged up, seems questionable to me. Hopefully he is ok; after the game he said he was, but for all I know he might have been saying that to both of me.
To me there are 4 reasons why we won the game.

1.Our solid offense. Just under 500 yards split evenly between rushing and passing.

2.Our ball control. We only turned the ball over once (which did result in points), but we won the turnover battle for the game.

3.Forced turnovers. Great day for Russ Cockrell.

4.UVA penalties. I love seeing the other team shoot themselves in the foot. UVA had 11 for 103 yards. Three of those were inconsequential to the play they occured on as they were late hits or other personal fouls. And that's the ones that were called, they beat up poor Will Snyderwine every chance they got, and those were on kicks that were called as fair catches. Anyway...thanks for keeping our ball moving Cavs.

Some answers, some comments and a couple nitpicks.
1. Our FS shoulda tipped/picked that great catch. If the play is OOB, the whistle ends it, assuming the review confirms the call on the field. If it overturns it, it's a TD if he entered the endzone with the ball. If he fumbled it into the endzone and they recover, TD 'hoos. If we recover, touchback. If it goes through the endzone. touchback.
2. X( about the coverage, :clap: and ^:)^ for the 3 INT and the sack preventing the 2 point play. Huge.
3. Renfree's pump fake AND great footwork, avoiding a sure sack and then turning into a ~40 yd TD run was a monster play.
4. Snyderwine was mugged on 2 KO into the endzone, not fair catches. Shoulda been 2 more flags on uva
5. Agreed on the KO returns for us. I guess he was used as Josh Sneed was injured. We coulda used Thompson who has great speed and strength.

(wow, this looks/sounds familiar: ;))

wandalee
11-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Does anybody have any update on the status of Connor? He got creamed during a kickoff return. He came back to the sidelines later in the game, but he looked like he was on another planet!

Greg_Newton
11-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Does anybody have any update on the status of Connor? He got creamed during a kickoff return. He came back to the sidelines later in the game, but he looked like he was on another planet!

I'd like to hear a more official report too, but a poster on TDD did post that he spoke to him after the game and he said the main concern was his jaw but that he would play against BC. Who knows if he actually will, but it's a good sign that he at least feels like he'll be able to. He is one tough dude.

cspan37421
11-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Hopefully he is ok; after the game he said he was, but for all I know he might have been saying that to both of me.

now THAT is funny. Well-played!!!

killerleft
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
The fourth down completion for first down was great. The winning touchdown by Scott was superb. But, for me, the long run by Sean Renfree for touchdown is hands-down my favorite Duke Football play since the 70s. I don't know why (we've had a lot of big plays), but I just knew when the ref signalled the TD that I'd always remember it.

Oldies I'll never forget? The Shoestring Play against the Heels and Ernie Jackson's interception return for touchdown against Stanford (and I only heard that one via radio).

jimsumner
11-08-2010, 09:56 AM
The fourth down completion for first down was great. The winning touchdown by Scott was superb. But, for me, the long run by Sean Renfree for touchdown is hands-down my favorite Duke Football play since the 70s. I don't know why (we've had a lot of big plays), but I just knew when the ref signalled the TD that I'd always remember it.

Oldies I'll never forget? The Shoestring Play against the Heels and Ernie Jackson's interception return for touchdown against Stanford (and I only heard that one via radio).

Did you see Randy Cuthbert's touchdown run against Clemson in 1989?

airowe
11-08-2010, 10:01 AM
The game atmosphere was exciting enough to require EMS in the next section near the end of the game.... this is not a figure of speech.

A poster on TDD who sits directly behind this man was the first to attempt CPR on this gentleman. It was this poster (Big Tedder)'s opinion that the man passed away.

If anyone has an update, please let me know.

g4orce
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Near the end of the game, someone in Section 25 needed medical attention ASAP.

I was there with the gentleman who needed emergency assistance. It really didn't look good, and I've been praying for him since. Not to threadjack, but does anyone here know his status?

Like I said, it really didn't look good - very possibly a terminal situation. Older gentleman, maybe early 70's, very cold/damp outside and the excitement of the game may possibly have led to that very serious situation.

I was disappointed with the EMT response at WW. The security and police did a great job, but the EMT personnel working WW were pathetically slow and distracted. Not the EMS/ambulance workers, but the stadium guys.

Again, sorry to threadjack, especially along such a great win, but I can't get the emergency situation out of my head. Very sad.

nocilla
11-08-2010, 10:15 AM
If you missed the game yesterday, or even if you watched it, if you enjoy Duke football at all, you should go to ESPN3.com and watch the fourth quarter. I guarantee it will bring you the biggest smile of the day. I still can't believe we pulled it out. I cannot remember us ever winning a shootout like this one.:D

Does anyone know if it is available anywhere else for those of us not able to get ESPN3?

Scorp4me
11-08-2010, 10:40 AM
The defense was a walking dichotomy, showing both brilliance and flat play. Cockrell gets 2 great interceptions (and almost a third) as UVA throw us the ball 3 times. And yet Dontrelle Inman still has an amazing day pulling in 10 catches for 239 yards! (He was 3 yards short of the school record.) There were some amazing catches that he made (such as in the 4th quarter when he almost ran it in but was called OB), but some were just gifts to him. On serveral catches our backs weren't within 5 yards of the open receivers. That's frustrating to watch. ...
I loved our offense, I loved the way Cutcliffe used both Connette and Renfree. I'm not often a big fan of a 2 QB system, but coach Cut is using it very smartly and it's working. Two get over 230 yards rushing was great to see. Renfree used his feet so well; he escaped some sure fire sacks and turned those opportunities into big plays. Kudos also to special teams play. Snyderwine's kickoffs were sweet, most of them were boomed into the endzone. ...

Couldn't agree with CameronBornandbred more. It is extremely frustrating that Duke can turn any opposing quarterback into an all-American. Been doing it for years and we still don't seem to have a secondary that knows how to defend against the pass. I sometimes wonder why opposing teams ever try to run the ball against us when they can seemingly pass at will. In addition I'm extremely impressed with Cut's use of Connette. It's amazing that even though teams know he is going to run 99% of the time, he still gets his yardage. Part of it is the options that they present him with, but even on simple quarterback draws the kid is a beast. Very impressed with the use of Renfree AND Connette. We almost have two completely different systems with these two quarterbacks and definitely getting our back up some valuable experience.

killerleft
11-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Did you see Randy Cuthbert's touchdown run against Clemson in 1989?

Why, yes I did! I also remember a great 4th down grab (I think on the winning touchdown drive) by either a tight end or back during that game. Add that in, too. Who made that catch, Jim? Or anybody? I can remember more plays than names, that's for sure.

loran16
11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Cooper Helfet was named ACC Offensive Line player of the week for the 2nd straight week.

(Snyderwine was jipped out of a second straight specialist of the week award).

OldPhiKap
11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Does anyone know if it is available anywhere else for those of us not able to get ESPN3?

www.espn3.com

Dukeface88
11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I sometimes wonder why opposing teams ever try to run the ball against us when they can seemingly pass at will.

It isn't like our run defense is anything to write home about either. We allow almost 200 yards per game and 4.8 per carry. The first stat is partially caused by our opponents being very run heavy, the second not so much. At least the secondary gets the occasional pick.

Really hoping that the defense can make the kind of progress the running game has.

chrishoke
11-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Why, yes I did! I also remember a great 4th down grab (I think on the winning touchdown drive) by either a tight end or back during that game. Add that in, too. Who made that catch, Jim? Or anybody? I can remember more plays than names, that's for sure.

It was the fullback in the endzone for the winning score - his name escapes me.

chrishoke
11-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Leo Hart of shoestring play fame was at the Blue Devil Club meeting last Friday.

killerleft
11-08-2010, 04:25 PM
It was the fullback in the endzone for the winning score - his name escapes me.

Chris Brown caught that TD pass. The pass I remember was earlier in that drive - I think.

Indoor66
11-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Chris Brown caught that TD pass. The pass I remember was earlier in that drive - I think.

Any report on what Leo is doing these days? I haven't seen him in years - back to his New Orleans days at the Fairmont.

jimsumner
11-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Any report on what Leo is doing these days? I haven't seen him in years - back to his New Orleans days at the Fairmont.

This is a few years old but gives some perspective on Hart.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092607aaa.html

To the special plays since the 1970s list, let me add the 1983 Duke-NC State game. Ben Bennett's final home game. State leads 26-7 in the fourth quarter. Bennett leads Duke to two TDs and its 26-21. Duke again drives deep into State territory, around the 5. But Mark Militello drops a third-down pass that would have been a score. Bennett comes right back to him on fourth-and-goal and they connect on a game-winning score in the final minute.

Pretty good way to end your home career.

DevilWolf
11-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Will completely quit on the kick that missed wide right called back for a motion penalty. He didn't get his hips through at all, the play had already been blown dead.

Greg_Newton
11-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I have a question that is really a more general question about the rules. On Inman's ridiculous catch between two defenders where he would have taken it to the house had he not stepped out of bounds, the refs went to a review. But what were they reviewing? They had blown the play dead before Inman got to the end zone. Once that happens, it doesn't matter whether he stepped out or not - there is no "alternate outcome" to change the call to, because the rest of the play never happened.

So what were they reviewing? It seems like I've seen a couple other instances of this, and it's really bizarre to me.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I have a question that is really a more general question about the rules. On Inman's ridiculous catch between two defenders where he would have taken it to the house had he not stepped out of bounds, the refs went to a review. But what were they reviewing? They had blown the play dead before Inman got to the end zone. Once that happens, it doesn't matter whether he stepped out or not - there is no "alternate outcome" to change the call to, because the rest of the play never happened.

So what were they reviewing? It seems like I've seen a couple other instances of this, and it's really bizarre to me.
If you go back and look at that play, he knew he was whistled and dropped the ball just before he entered the endzone, and then it bounced in with him. I wish they had ruled him inbounds and then called a touchback..that would have been classic.

Greg_Newton
11-08-2010, 06:44 PM
If you go back and look at that play, he knew he was whistled and dropped the ball just before he entered the endzone, and then it bounced in with him. I wish they had ruled him inbounds and then called a touchback..that would have been classic.

But if the whistle had already come, that would have been impossible, no? Because the play ceased to exist after the point that the whistle was blown... they can't potentially change a ruling to reflect the outcome of a play that happened after a whistle was blown.

I just don't understand what they could have been reviewing there, unless they were bending that rule.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2010, 06:48 PM
But if the whistle had already come, that would have been impossible, no? Because the play ceased to exist after the point that the whistle was blown... they can't potentially change a ruling to reflect the outcome of a play that happened after a whistle was blown.

I just don't understand what they could have been reviewing there, unless they were bending that rule.
I agree with you..I don't understand why they reviewed it either..but I do know he didn't cross the endzone with the ball.

Greg_Newton
11-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree with you..I don't understand why they reviewed it either..but I do know he didn't cross the endzone with the ball.

You are most certainly correct, sir...

...although, I think he was well aware the play was dead at this point - the official is waving his arms up and calling the play dead, and he sees/hears:

So, the way I see it, there's no way this play should have gone to the review both. I just don't understand how the officials could miss such a simple logical flaw in what they were doing, not to mention not understand the basic rules of replay.

It worries me a little because I feel like this isn't the only time I've seen a non-reviewable play reviewed in the last few weeks, yet it seems to go over the head of the refs, announcers, and even coaches. Or am I missing something here?

airowe
11-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Maybe they were making sure they knew exactly where he stepped out of bounds?

SharkD
11-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Maybe they were making sure they knew exactly where he stepped out of bounds?

That was the only thing that made sense to me -- the replay officials simply wanted to make sure that the ball was spotted where he first stepped out of bounds.

Saturday on the drive home, I couldn't help but think about the fact that, this season, we've had one game where the replay system "went down" for the majority of the second half, and another where there was a real danger of the equipment failing from frequent use.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Saturday on the drive home, I couldn't help but think about the fact that, this season, we've had one game where the replay system "went down" for the majority of the second half, and another where there was a real danger of the equipment failing from frequent use.
I was sitting next to Devildeac for the game. I lost count of how many times the words "we're gonna get screwed" came out of his mouth. :D Surprisingly we never did, at least not from the replay. (We thought we had on the INT in the endzone, but after I got home found that was legit)

Acymetric
11-09-2010, 12:19 AM
I was sitting next to Devildeac for the game. I lost count of how many times the words "we're gonna get screwed" came out of his mouth. :D Surprisingly we never did, at least not from the replay. (We thought we had on the INT in the endzone, but after I got home found that was legit)

Really? I know Cockrell said it hit the ground...but in the replays I saw when I got home I thought it looked like an interception.

CameronBornAndBred
11-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Really? I know Cockrell said it hit the ground...but in the replays I saw when I got home I thought it looked like an interception.
I didn't replay it, I just took Cockrell's word for it. I figure he was the best person to trust. :rolleyes:

Acymetric
11-09-2010, 12:49 AM
I didn't replay it, I just took Cockrell's word for it. I figure he was the best person to trust. :rolleyes:

Personally I think he was just trying to be PC...its also possible that he wasn't sure himself at the time and he just took the ref's word for it. There was a brief time where you can't see the ball in the replay (possibly why it wasn't "indisputable evidence to overturn") but in my opinion it isn't out of sight long enough to leave his possession, hit the ground, and bounce back into his hands...he has possession before and after it went out of sight.

Then again, I may be seeing it wrong, and I suppose at this point the win is all that matters. Great performance by Cockrell either way, certainly.

jimsumner
11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Personally I think he was just trying to be PC...its also possible that he wasn't sure himself at the time and he just took the ref's word for it. There was a brief time where you can't see the ball in the replay (possibly why it wasn't "indisputable evidence to overturn") but in my opinion it isn't out of sight long enough to leave his possession, hit the ground, and bounce back into his hands...he has possession before and after it went out of sight.

Then again, I may be seeing it wrong, and I suppose at this point the win is all that matters. Great performance by Cockrell either way, certainly.

I was a foot away from Cockrell when he was discussing the play in the end zone. He wasn't being PC and wasn't taking anyone's word for it.

sagegrouse
11-09-2010, 09:47 AM

I hate to give the zebras the benefit of the doubt, but the guy who called the play was in PERFECT position, about 15-20 feet from and facing Cockrell and in better position to see the ball than any of the cameras.

sagegrouse

nocilla
11-09-2010, 10:28 AM

www.espn3.com

I don't think you understood the question... Anyone can go to the website, but a lot of us don't have access to watch anything.

This is the best I've been able to find, but it is from the UVA perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldfnpu31kY

SharkD
11-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't think you understood the question... Anyone can go to the website, but a lot of us don't have access to watch anything.

This is the best I've been able to find, but it is from the UVA perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldfnpu31kY

There's nothing on DukeOnDemand, yet.

There is a free highlight video (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=732343&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200) on InsideAccess.

I'll get around to encoding the game review, from Sunday's football show, this evening.

Acymetric
11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I was a foot away from Cockrell when he was discussing the play in the end zone. He wasn't being PC and wasn't taking anyone's word for it.

That's all I needed, looks like I was wrong...thanks for the input Jim.