PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile, in Oregon

JasonEvans
11-06-2010, 01:53 PM
The DBR linked to this picture (http://twitpic.com/3404qt) but I wanted to make sure folks had seen it. Very cool!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/188123141.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1289066842&Signature=0%2BcsM7wQ9e%2BzxcoCtXEG2VuyDJE%3D

--Jason "I bet this was part of why Kyle came back for his senior season" Evans

_TheFakeJWill_
11-06-2010, 02:18 PM
seen that on twitter very very cool. Always loved Oregon's uniforms. :D

cspan37421
11-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Kyle's taking his talents to Portland. Hopefully just as a visitor, now and in the future. I want the guy to stay healthy.

DevilHorns
11-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Wow now that is cool.

I noticed in the Singler vs Barnes poll on ESPN a few days ago that Oregon was the state most lopsided for Singler. Glad to see his state show him so much support!

Duke: A Dynasty
11-06-2010, 03:25 PM
If Singler would not have come back for this year does that mean HB would have been the number 1 player in the country? Because most polls ask between Kyle and HB and that top 50 list 1 is Kyle and 2 is HB. Seems odd that a freshmen would be considered number 1

Cameron
11-06-2010, 04:30 PM
This is cool. It would have been really something to have seen this done for brothers Jeff and Jason, had their careers interlaced with one another while playing in the Duke-Carolina rivalry. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Jeff graduated from Duke a year before Jason arrived in Chapel Hill. Not that the greatest rivalry in college sport needs any enhancement, but that would certainly have interjected a little extra something special -- and the visual of the split-jersey brothers, perhaps hanging on the tall glass building with the once upon a time rotating restaurant on 15-501, would have been fantastic.

I can't wait for this game with the Ducks.

timmy c
11-06-2010, 05:17 PM
seen that on twitter very very cool. Always loved Oregon's uniforms. :D

Oregon uniforms are ok... but i like miss K sing(ler) and friend better!
http://twitpic.com/2f1sju

cameroncrazy3104
11-06-2010, 07:44 PM
we are playing them where the trailblazers play right
so we dont have to play on this
http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-basketball/matthew-knight-arena-oregon-court-photo/

AZLA
11-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Great promo!

Speaking of marketing out of Orgeon, did anyone see the Ducks new floor (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Oregon-s-crazy-new-basketball-floor-is-quintesse?urn=ncaab-283060)at Knight Arena? Complete with theme.

LSanders
11-06-2010, 08:52 PM
RE: Singlar poster ... WAY Cool!!

RE: New court ... Looks like the designer couldn't see the forest for the trees!

Lord Ash
11-07-2010, 11:37 AM
It seems from that shot of the floor that the halfcourt line sort of fades into the background for a lot of the floor. Are there any rules about lines on the court, and having to be able to see them?

CLT Devil
11-07-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to BBall and sports in general; I loved going to see a FBall game at Notre Dame, place just oozes history and tradition. I would love to play State and UNC in Reynolds and Carmichael once a year...those places are hallowed ground to Tobacco Road Bball. All that being said, I think it's really cool what Oregon has done with their facilities and uniforms. What a great way to stand out and perhaps even get some recruits to look at the school who might not otherwise know about it other than their uniforms and locker rooms. I'm not a fan of the black-on-black uniforms for Bball, but to have the school's fight song comprise the pinstripes on the Baseball uni's is a great idea.

Kudos to the marketing folks who came up with the poster on Twitter, and also to the minds at Nike who come up with the Ducks uniforms...their tradition is to not have traditional or even consistant uniforms, if that makes any sense.

Indoor66
11-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to BBall and sports in general; I loved going to see a FBall game at Notre Dame, place just oozes history and tradition. I would love to play State and UNC in Reynolds and Carmichael once a year...those places are hallowed ground to Tobacco Road Bball. All that being said, I think it's really cool what Oregon has done with their facilities and uniforms. What a great way to stand out and perhaps even get some recruits to look at the school who might not otherwise know about it other than their uniforms and locker rooms. I'm not a fan of the black-on-black uniforms for Bball, but to have the school's fight song comprise the pinstripes on the Baseball uni's is a great idea.

Kudos to the marketing folks who came up with the poster on Twitter, and also to the minds at Nike who come up with the Ducks uniforms...their tradition is to not have traditional or even consistant uniforms, if that makes any sense.

I agree with you, to a degree. When does tradition begin? Charmichael Auditorium opened in 1965. Wouldn't Woolen Gym be better for UNC? Cameron/Duke Indoor Stadium opened in 1940. Wouldn't Card be better? My question is, when does tradition begin?

CLT Devil
11-08-2010, 08:59 AM
I agree with you, to a degree. When does tradition begin? Charmichael Auditorium opened in 1965. Wouldn't Woolen Gym be better for UNC? Cameron/Duke Indoor Stadium opened in 1940. Wouldn't Card be better? My question is, when does tradition begin?

Well, I guess that was my point, to a degree. If you are a school that has a very wealthy alumnus who is willing to contribute a large sum of money to facilities, uniforms and other tradition-building enterprises then why not go ahead and go for it. I think the question "when does tradition begin" really is impossible to answer. It's kind of like asking what the definition of quality is; you know it when you see it but it is near impossible to put into words.

Sure, Card might have more years on any other gym and many great memories but for whatever reason Cameron was built and new traditions started there. Without getting into the questions you posed above, I think it's great that a school wants to start new traditions (whatever your definition might be) and has the means to do so.

IMO traditions can start any time. Just look at our own football team. Cut has them dressed in suits walking from the Chapel to the stadium before games and also has the players go to the student section after games. These are two new traditions for us...or are they actions/events that will eventually turn into a 'tradition?' I guess it is a good question as to when something crosses that line. Oregon is trying to build new ones, maybe ten years from now one can look back and say they remember when that tradition started.

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
For those of you not originally from Oregon, the Singler brother matchup probably seems like little more than what is sure to be an absolute beatdown of the Ducks. I'm talking triple-digit margin of victory here - seriously. Regardless, Kyle's first return to Oregon since winning the state championship during his senior season has more storylines running through it than the Cam Newton saga.

http://www.dailyemerald.com/sports/clark-singler-brother-matchup-a-real-treat-for-oregonians-1.1770105

Grounded
11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I received my tickets in the mail last week...can't wait. I'll be driving up to spend Thanksgiving with the family and take them all to the game...not a bad way to spend the holiday. :D

johnb
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
My question is, when does tradition begin?

It's traditional if it gets engrained in your memory when you are learning about something. I will forever see Georgia Tech as an interloper into the ACC since they joined the league after my freshman year (which coincided with my introduction to Duke bball as a freshman during the '77-'78 season). If I'd been a couple years younger, the ACC would traditionally include Ga Tech, and if a few years older, I might shake my fist at South Carolina (as it stands, I barely know which direction one needs to drive to get there from North Carolina). So Cameron is traditional to me, not Card.

As for the new tradition of football players in suits walking from the Chapel, that seems like a good new tradition (if only because it reminds students on their way to Perkins or the Gardens that there's a game that day and their classmates are participating and the tickets are free), but if I saw it as an alumnus (especially with child in tow), I might point out that there's a Duke tradition and might actually unconsciously reframe it as an old tradition, since it conforms to my overall view of football at Duke and hence could become a screen memory that I could then discuss as if I had actually seen that scene when I was a student. So a tradition that comes out of thin air is less likely to endure than one that fits the envirnment.

Or were you being rhetorical?

CEF1959
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I'll be there at the Rose Garden. Got some great seats from pals at UofO. Look for me in the 100 level sporting my Duke sweatshirt and cap. Bought my wife a Dule LS tee for the game. Oh, how she humors me.

gam7
12-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Didn't want to create a new thread, but Oregon is pushing #9 Missouri. Oregon is down 8 and at the free throw line with 3:45 left. E.J. Singler has scored about 12 in the second half. Perhaps most notably, the game is at Oregon but they are not playing on the new In the Woods court.

Duke: A Dynasty
12-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Yea I have been checking it out on espn.com and is Missouri playing bad or is Oregon doing that good? Hard to believe we crushed Oregon like we did and another top 10 team is struggling against them.

gam7
12-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Didn't want to create a new thread, but Oregon is pushing #9 Missouri. Oregon is down 8 and at the free throw line with 3:45 left. E.J. Singler has scored about 12 in the second half. Perhaps most notably, the game is at Oregon but they are not playing on the new In the Woods court.

Oregon loses by 3, missing a lengthy last-second 3 to tie. Missouri didn't look too good, but they are finishing up a long road trip, which may have been a factor.

gam7
12-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Yea I have been checking it out on espn.com and is Missouri playing bad or is Oregon doing that good? Hard to believe we crushed Oregon like we did and another top 10 team is struggling against them.

A bit of both. I didn't watch the whole game, but I believe Oregon was down by 22 at one point and made a huge comeback. Missouri had approximately 20 turnovers and didn't seem to be playing with too much intensity towards the end. Oregon made a few tough threes down the stretch and their big man, Catron, was very active and good underneath. And Singler had a big second half.