PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Calipari Slight...what a joke...

GarrickB28
11-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Calipari was interviewed regarding the upcoming season...same story lots of young talent...at the end of the article I was struck by this particular quote...

"Five families reach their dreams. Five new millionaires created. If you told me we'd win a national title and no one gets drafted, I'm probably disappointed. I'd be happy we won. I'd be happy for the school. We get to put up another banner. How did it benefit the players?''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/11/03/kentucky.john.calipari/index.html#ixzz14QAb0Zii

phaedrus
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
How about, "If you don't start [the West Virginia] game 0-for-20 from three, you probably win the national title."

Sure Coach, wouldn't that have been nice.

nocilla
11-05-2010, 11:21 AM
"If you told me we'd win a national title and no one gets drafted, I'm probably disappointed. I'd be happy we won. I'd be happy for the school. We get to put up another banner. How did it benefit the players?''

Isn't that what happened to Duke last year? Are any of you guys disappointed? I'm not. Anyone think Coack K is?

roywhite
11-05-2010, 11:22 AM
How about, "If you don't start [the West Virginia] game 0-for-20 from three, you probably win the national title."

Sure Coach, wouldn't that have been nice.

Cal was kind enough to explain recently that the UK players were looking ahead to playing Duke. It was enough to make any team miss their first 20 3-pt attempts. :rolleyes:

In the Commonwealth, the coach and fans deserve each other.

AlaskanAssassin
11-05-2010, 11:31 AM
"If you told me we'd win a national title and no one gets drafted, I'm probably disappointed. I'd be happy we won. I'd be happy for the school. We get to put up another banner. How did it benefit the players?''

Isn't that what happened to Duke last year? Are any of you guys disappointed? I'm not. Anyone think Coack K is?

Cal is pretty much attacking Duke with that quote. It's obvious. He is saying he cares about his players' futures and not just winning championships. Looks like he is going to win some recruits with it.

Jderf
11-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I hate Calipari as much as anyone, but I think he does have a point here, unfortunately. The elation from our title win can't be matched, but I have been upset somewhat for how much bad luck our seniors have had to deal with since. Still, though he may have a point, trying to make a "subtle" jab about it in SI makes Calipari look like a huge... well... you can finish that sentence however you'd like.

IamMatt'sUserName
11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
So, Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, and Mason Plumlee (and possibly other members from the 2010 championship team) won't eventually be NBA draft picks? What interesting spin.

Jderf
11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
So, Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, and Mason Plumlee (and possibly other members from the 2010 championship team) won't eventually be NBA draft picks? What interesting spin.

Yea. As a recruiting pitch it is obviously flawed. Unfortunately, however, that doesn't mean it won't work.

roywhite
11-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I hate Calipari as much as anyone, but I think he does have a point here, unfortunately. The elation from our title win can't be matched, but I have been upset somewhat for how much bad luck our seniors have had to deal with since. Still, though he may have a point, trying to make a "subtle" jab about it in SI makes Calipari look like a huge... well... you can finish that sentence however you'd like.

What point would that be?

Do injuries to Scheyer and Zoubek really have something to do with this point? Do decisions by Kyle and Nolan to return to school rather than enter the draft somehow reflect negatively on Duke or Coach K?

How much credit does Calipari claim for guys like John Wall and Cousins being high picks?

This seems like pure spin to me by Cal.

jipops
11-05-2010, 11:46 AM

Possible Duke jab aside, the real joke here is Calipari's insinuation that he is responsible for getting those 5 guys drafted. I get a little tired of the assertion that certain programs produce NBA players. No program or coach "produces" NBA players. But I do believe that certain programs focus on having a kid equipped for life more than others.

Nosbleuatu
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I didn't realize that winning a national championship and getting players drafted were mutually exclusive.

Jderf
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM

Do injuries to Scheyer and Zoubek really have something to do with this point? Do decisions by Kyle and Nolan to return to school rather than enter the draft somehow reflect negatively on Duke or Coach K?

How much credit does Calipari claim for guys like John Wall and Cousins being high picks?

Agreed. Calipari has absolutely no point beyond the saddening fact that our seniors haven't gotten the next-level recognition that they deserve. Calipari will probably try [already is trying] to use that as a recruiting pitch, and undeservedly so. A typical move on his part, one that doesn't look too classy or carry much substance. But, again, that doesn't mean recruits won't buy it.

Billy Dat
11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
This is simply Cal playing the hand he has, but I imagine that one large, vocal and impatient group would have a serious problem with it...the Kentucky fanbase. They certainly want championships...badly.

Agree that with K's recent recruiting wins, Cal understands that he needs to polish his anti-Duke arguments. I can't remember where I read about his anti-Duke pitch to John Wall, but it was masterful and pushed all the right buttons.

Watching the ESPNU Inside Access series though, I am more and more convinced that there are kids who can thrive in our program and kids who can't. Cal will always come across as the players' coach and K the modern version of the old school. I think a lot of players naturally fit in one kind of program over the other and that we happen to be catching a wave where a lot of great players also happen to be open to the kind of complete immersion that the Duke program demands.

Chard
11-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Not to mention a good education on and off the court. A college degree isn't necessary to be successful but it does help. A four year stint with Coach K? CEO's pay for one week with him.

Yeah, I'd rather be in a Duke player's shoes.

cbnaylor
11-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Coach Cal is a joke. I would say something else if the board allowed it! So now he doesn't care about winning. Who would want to play for a coach that doesn't care to win? He just needs to be a coach in the NBA Development league.

77devil
11-05-2010, 12:03 PM

It's a shame the seniors haven't found a home in the NBA, but they will hopefully have pro careers abroad, make plenty of money, and have their Duke(and Duke basketball) educations to build on. They'll be fine.

As Kyrie just said, literally, as I am watching the ESPN Inside Access program while posting, "It seems like everything he said is the right thing and it's only going to help you become better as a person and a basketball player. What he says applies on and off the court."

Calipari obviously has a different approach but his record, relative to K's speaks for itself. Let him take his best shot. There will always be many recruits for whom the Calipari way will be more desirable. So be it. There is plenty of of talent to go around and probably not that much cross over. When there is, K has the basis for a great pitch.

As yes he is slimy.

Azdukefan
11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I was always taught that if you dont have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Therefore, I won't call Cal all of the names he really is. That was a direct jab at us and I'd love to take one at him.

BD80
11-05-2010, 12:16 PM
... Watching the ESPNU Inside Access series though, I am more and more convinced that there are kids who can thrive in our program and kids who can't. Cal will always come across as the players' coach and K the modern version of the old school. I think a lot of players naturally fit in one kind of program over the other and that we happen to be catching a wave where a lot of great players also happen to be open to the kind of complete immersion that the Duke program demands.

Cal will take the kids that will only listen to: "you're the best"

Coach K gets the kids who want to hear: "Here is how you get better"

Duke of Nashville
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Cal will take the kids that will only listen to: "you're the best"

Coach K gets the kids who want to hear: "Here is how you get better"

Proof in the words of Derek Rose:

‎"If anything he is a motivational speaker and he really has humor when he talks," said Rose on ESPN Radio. "If anything you are going to listen to him because he is going to be a legend, a Hall of Famer I mean in this game. For him to be coaching me is wonderful. Too bad I didn't go to Duke, but it's great even just be...ing here with him and his staff is great and I am lucky to be on this bus headed to the gym."

~Derek Rose on USA Head Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski

sagegrouse
11-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I think it is a slap at his players. Isn't he implying that the only thing his players have going for them is basketball? So, thank heavens they are off to a good start on life's journey following a bouncing ball. I don't think anyone would ever say that about Messrs. Scheyer, Thomas, Zoubek, Smith or Singler.

And, of course, it is a slap at the Kentucky fan base for being so preoccupied with championships, rather than being thankful for creating millionaires on the team and coaching staff. Oh, the horror!

And BTW it is waving a red flag in front of the NCAA and those who really believe in student-athletes. I would be extra careful there, John C. Oops! Did someone mention Enes Kanter? Or Eric Bledsoe's stinky HS academics. And BTW, Tony Bennett threw Landesburg off the team at UVa when he quit going to class. I have no data but lots of doubts about UK freshman class attendance last year.

sagegrouse

ChicagoCrazy84
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM

This is one of the reasons why Calipari fans and loyalists make me angry. IMO he gets no credit for getting these guys to the NBA. We all knew they were born and natural bball players before they committed to Kentucky and everyone knew they would be getting drafted in no time. Calipari is trying to spin it like he created these guys' careers and I don't buy it one bit. He'll get his 5 star recruits and they will all say the same thing:

"I fit in with their system and he has a great track record of getting guys to the next level."

You can't blame them fot it, but John Wall would be just as successful now with any other school. Look at Jrue Holiday who went to UCLA and struggled all season under Howland. He was still a lottery pick and is starting to find his groove in Philly.

Mal
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Calipari's a nice canary in the coal mine, though. This sort of statement just lays out there, naked for all the world to see, the ultimate joke of the modern day amateur student-athlete model. Calipari simply reflects the wishes and desires of those who play for him. So in that sense, he's being completely honest. John Wall never cared about winning NCAA championships, he cared about being showcased for the NBA. And Calipari and his program provided that showcase. He didn't "create" the millionaires, and shouldn't take undue credit, when most of those guys would have been drafted regardless of which school they were at, true. But he played his role in the professional sports industrial complex.

And, we also shouldn't preclude that there may (and I stress the "may") be some actual, sincere altruism here, as well. Perhaps one of the places Calipari finds some satisfaction in his job is in being able to help kids from backgrounds where they don't have many resources and chances for success in society, and getting them to their (and their families') dream of the NBA and the massive $$ that comes with that. He's a guide through that system. I prefer the Coach K Molder of High Quality Young Men model, but there's something to the other worldview, I guess.

BD80
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
... How much credit does Calipari claim for guys like John Wall and Cousins being high picks?

Amen. Particularly when you speak of Cousins, Patterson and Orton! What exactly did Cal do to help them?

Patterson went 14th, which was not necessarily an improvement over where he would have gone the year before. Orton went at the bottom of the 1st round and showed very little at KY; he was selected more for his potential and high ranking coming out of high school - Orlando seems pleased Orton "fell" down to them. Cousins "fell" to the #5 pick and is now considered the "steal" of the draft because it appears that he is far better than he was able to display at Ky. If the draft were to be held again, Cousins goes #2. That is a bunch of money left on the table.

Gewebe14
11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Isn't this supposed to be college basketball? Isn't winning the national championship the ultimate goal? What could possibly be better.

whereinthehellami
11-05-2010, 01:00 PM
cal sounds more like an agent than a coach....hmmmm.

dukebluelemur
11-05-2010, 01:34 PM
So Cal takes the top athletes, who were going to the league, and no where but the league (as evidenced by their general disinterest in all things academic), then pats himself on the back for putting them in the league and "changing their lives"?

As much as I dislike his school, fans and style, I have far more respect for Gary Williams for taking people who genuinely NEED a second chance and giving them the opportunity. Guys like Juan Dixon. (Though with Gary, that may just be a product of recruiting laziness....)

If Cal was seriously interested in changing lives, THAT's the approach he would be taking.

What a hypocrite.

Maybe when he retires he will start a scholarship program for trustfund kids...

Spret42
11-05-2010, 01:54 PM
So Cal takes the top athletes, who were going to the league, and no where but the league (as evidenced by their general disinterest in all things academic), then pats himself on the back for putting them in the league and "changing their lives"?

As much as I dislike his school, fans and style, I have far more respect for Gary Williams for taking people who genuinely NEED a second chance and giving them the opportunity. Guys like Juan Dixon. (Though with Gary, that may just be a product of recruiting laziness....)

If Cal was seriously interested in changing lives, THAT's the approach he would be taking.

What a hypocrite.

Maybe when he retires he will start a scholarship program for trustfund kids...

At the same time. Lavishing Coach K with a ton of credit for the on and off court success of young men like Hurley, Hill, (both Thomas and Grant) Williams, Scheyer, et al is also a bit disingenuous.

Coach K clearly identifies very talented kids from solid families who are in very good position to benefit from what his school has to offer. He understands who he is and what kind of young man he is best equipped to work with. He is a genius with people and especially with taking the incredibly talented and sure to be successful and helping them to the highest of heights. I have "nephews" (sons of a woman who is like my big sister) who remind me completely of Jay Williams. And the only place I would want them to play college basketball if they were good enough would be Duke. It is the school and he is the coach where they would best flourish.

A guy like John Cheney took young men who were borderline in a lot of areas and worked his rear end (someone fix the filter, this is ridiculous, this isn't the Disney Channel) off to give them some structure. As the son of an old school black man and former teacher ,I can tell you when you do that, sometimes it goes well and sometimes you get burned. Cheney tried. Yet he gets mentioned by people as a guy who recruited "thugs."

Gary Williams is a basketball lifer who honestly sees himself as nothing more than a former J.V. high school coach who only wants to be around gym rats. He prides himself on how many of his guys are making some form of living in the game of basketball whether coaching or playing at any level. And Juan Dixon was a product of Williams. Anyone who says anything different wasn't paying attention.

My point. I am tired of the ridiculous coach worshiping culture of collegiate athletics.

Duvall
11-05-2010, 02:03 PM
My point. I am tired of the ridiculous coach worshiping culture of collegiate athletics.

That's certainly a fair point - it's endemic to college sports, mostly because coaches are the main point of continuity for fans. And yet, there seems to be a tension with this:

Gary Williams is a basketball lifer who honestly sees himself as nothing more than a former J.V. high school coach who only wants to be around gym rats. He prides himself on how many of his guys are making some form of living in the game of basketball whether coaching or playing at any level. And Juan Dixon was a product of Williams. Anyone who says anything different wasn't paying attention.

As for Chaney, he mostly got criticized for recruiting thugs after the times that one of his players committed a conspicuous act of thuggery. What are people supposed to say?

fgb
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Possible Duke jab aside, the real joke here is Calipari's insinuation that he is responsible for getting those 5 guys drafted. I get a little tired of the assertion that certain programs produce NBA players. No program or coach "produces" NBA players. But I do believe that certain programs focus on having a kid equipped for life more than others.

calipari is easily the greatest beneficiary of the one and done rule. without it he would have almost no hope of ever getting stripped of a final four again.

Spret42
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
That's certainly a fair point - it's endemic to college sports, mostly because coaches are the main point of continuity for fans. And yet, there seems to be a tension with this:

As for Chaney, he mostly got criticized for recruiting thugs after the times that one of his players committed a conspicuous act of thuggery. What are people supposed to say?

I am not sure what you mean by tension.

And what I meant by the Cheney thing was people assuming that he was just some hack who recruited nothing but terrible human beings and allowed them to do terrible things because he simply didn't care. That was my point. There is an undercurrent to that kind of criticism. The idea that a players actions are ALWAYS a reflection of the coach is a dangerous one. Although maybe I am wrong.

BD80
11-05-2010, 02:19 PM
At the same time. Lavishing Coach K with a ton of credit for the on and off court success of young men like Hurley, Hill, (both Thomas and Grant) Williams, Scheyer, et al is also a bit disingenuous.

Coach K clearly identifies very talented kids from solid families who are in very good position to benefit from what his school has to offer. ...

Chris Carrawell doesn't quite fit that profile ...

You might also want to ask people close to the program what they thought of Chris Burgess' dad ;)

BoozerWasFouled
11-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I am not so sure that Calipari doesn't play a socially useful role. Look at it like this.

There are some kids who get to the NBA no matter what. Wall. Jennings.

But what about students who need the venue of college basketball to get noticed and drafted, but lack the academic ability to get in? Because college basketball is the foremost venue in which to display basketball ability, getting into college is almost essential to making it to the NBA. Sure, people could go overseas or D-League, but unless you already have a huge amount of hype attached to you, the NBA is not going to draft you out of those talent pools. It's an unfair system, because the Eric Bledsoes should not have to do algebra in order to play pro ball. I mean, what if you were a lawyer and you had to learn to perform a root canal in order to qualify yourself for trying a case? Makes no sense.

Cal effectively "launders" the academic records of players who would otherwise be shut out of the draft because they couldn't get into college.

Question: would Eric Bledsoe be a millionaire today if it weren't for John Calipari's willingness to break NCAA rules? Isn't it good that Bledsoe is earning millions of dollars, and generating millions more, rather than working in some menial job in Alabama?

Spret42
11-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Chris Carrawell doesn't quite fit that profile ...

You might also want to ask people close to the program what they thought of Chris Burgess' dad ;)

I didn't say there weren't outliers. :)

BattierBattalion
11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I can't remember where I read about his anti-Duke pitch to John Wall, but it was masterful and pushed all the right buttons.

Does anyone have this? I would love to read it.

dukeimac
11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
How long before Cali's poor graduation rate catches up to him?

My caution to any Kentucky fan is, even if Cali wins a national title when he leaves he will leave a huge mess. The poor graduation rate he will accumulate will cost them in a few years but he will be long gone and the University of Kentucky will be left holding bag.

77devil
11-05-2010, 02:40 PM
And, we also shouldn't preclude that there may (and I stress the "may") be some actual, sincere altruism here, as well. Perhaps one of the places Calipari finds some satisfaction in his job is in being able to help kids from backgrounds where they don't have many resources and chances for success in society, and getting them to their (and their families') dream of the NBA and the massive $$ that comes with that. He's a guide through that system. I prefer the Coach K Molder of High Quality Young Men model, but there's something to the other worldview, I guess.

I acknowledge that you stressed the word may. As evidence of Cal's more likely motive, I offer that the scholarship players at Kentucky, who he forced off the team to make room for his would be millionaire dreamers, might disagree. I presume they and their families were not worthy of Cal's altruism. I doubt they had trust funds waiting for them either.

Wander
11-05-2010, 02:47 PM
It's an unfair system, because the Eric Bledsoes should not have to do algebra in order to play pro ball. I mean, what if you were a lawyer and you had to learn to perform a root canal in order to qualify yourself for trying a case? Makes no sense.

I suppose you could argue it's unfair (though I wouldn't) but I don't like when people pretend this quality is somehow unique to basketball. I don't use anything I learned from a single college history, foreign language, English, or social studies class during work. I believe this type of thing holds true for the vast majority of people.

noyac
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
"Five families reach their dreams. Five new millionaires created. If you told me we'd win a national title and no one gets drafted, I'm probably disappointed. I'd be happy we won. I'd be happy for the school. We get to put up another banner. How did it benefit the players?''

This comment is abhorrent. How can he say that an individual does not benefit from an experience like winning the National Championship unless it helps them get drafted.

There is more than a monetary value involved with winning a NC, look at Jordan Davidson for instance he will not be playing any professional basketball but I am sure he learned more about himself and hardwork than any of the Kentucky boys that got drafted.

To me Cal is saying money rules everything and he does not care about the players on his team that did/do not get drafted.

This is why I love Coach K so much he preaches being the best that you can be as an individual and as a team and the chips will fall into place. If you don't win the NC then at least you know you played your guts out and learned from your experience

Gthoma2a
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Perhaps if those kids actually graduate, they stay millionaires, but something tells me that some of them will dwindle into obscurity and have no education to fall back on after some time. I would rather have educated players who can play. The guys who don't get drafted, but graduated from Duke will still be millionaires in other leagues. The thing we should be proud of is that they will also have the knowledge of how to succeed after basketball.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
this guy is missing a filter. and that's probably putting it lightly. can't wait to see the reaction in the commonwealth.

SoCalDukeFan
11-05-2010, 04:35 PM
These guys could have gone to any school with a Div I basketball program, played one year, and still be NBA draft picks.

If they did not have the one and done rule most or all of these guys would not have gone to KY and still would have been NBA draft picks out of high school.

My respect for Calipari which was at zero is now at less than zero.

SoCal

diveonthefloor
11-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Proof in the words of Derek Rose:

‎"If anything he is a motivational speaker and he really has humor when he talks," said Rose on ESPN Radio. "If anything you are going to listen to him because he is going to be a legend, a Hall of Famer I mean in this game. For him to be coaching me is wonderful. Too bad I didn't go to Duke, but it's great even just be...ing here with him and his staff is great and I am lucky to be on this bus headed to the gym."

~Derek Rose on USA Head Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski

Too bad you can't be accepted to Duke with forged SAT scores....

(Gosh I'm sorry that sounded rude, didn't it?)

MCFinARL
11-05-2010, 04:42 PM
So, following the logic of Coach Cal's quote, maybe he should follow the lead of the FSU women's soccer coach and hold his best players out of the NCAA tournament so they will be well rested and uninjured for their future NBA careers. ;)

Poincaré
11-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Question: would Eric Bledsoe be a millionaire today if it weren't for John Calipari's willingness to break NCAA rules? Isn't it good that Bledsoe is earning millions of dollars, and generating millions more, rather than working in some menial job in Alabama?

One might say that Bledsoe took money that might otherwise have gone to a kid who played by the rules. If we put things that way, why does Bledsoe deserve this money more than the next kid? Let's not forget that the supply of jobs in Bledsoe's field is limited.

I'm not saying Bledsoe doesn't deserve the money, but he doesn't deserve it any more than the next kid. Bledsoe getting to the NBA just transfers potential wealth from one kid to another. It does not create new wealth. Hence Cal really isn't improving society by putting Bledsoe in the NBA. He's helping himself.

CEF1959
11-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Cal is so transparent and so slimy. And I miss John Chaney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6jUpHClybQ

OK, maybe not. But Cal is still a complete and utter sleaze.

-jk
11-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Too bad you can't be accepted to Duke with forged SAT scores....

(Gosh I'm sorry that sounded rude, didn't it?)

No. We just admit forged Rothschilds. :p

-jk

killerleft
11-05-2010, 09:19 PM

I was patiently waiting for someone to get the funny joke Calipari made. Those five players could have gone anywhere and been drafted high. If they'd come to Duke I have to believe they would have gotten a national championship, seeing how Coach K and the guys got one without any of them on the team.

J.C. Superstar! He wins when he loses.:rolleyes: Dos Equis, anyone?:D

Edit: Apologies to those who beat me to my point. I thought the thread was much shorter than it was.

quota
11-06-2010, 12:08 AM
I hate Calipari as much as anyone, but I think he does have a point here, unfortunately.

What point? That life is all about money? That you're only successful if you make millions of dollars? That graduating players and winning championships at the same time is less desirable than making sure kids "GET PAID"?

What a bunch of poppycock. Calipari cares about money. He cares about making money at virtually any cost.

That doesn't mean we need to teach college kids to be that way, too.

AZLA
11-06-2010, 12:58 AM
So, following the logic of Coach Cal's quote, maybe he should follow the lead of the FSU women's soccer coach and hold his best players out of the NCAA tournament so they will be well rested and uninjured for their future NBA careers. ;)

Was just thinking the same correlation to the FSU coach. Good point. I was glad Coach K addressed that as an ambassador for the ACC.

Taking credit for creating new millionaires is the crux of Cal's position.

It's actually crafty on his part to differentiate his brand -- which IMO -- stinks.

But from a value proposition standpoint, it certainly calls more attention to itself by contrasting Duke.

It's entertaining to watch this guy, paid to "coach" and be "successful," cut off his nose to spite his face by saying he's a poor coach by design! As if he's serving a higher calling -- helming a millionaire social development program. To have John Wall and all those top NBA drafts and not even get into Final Four is almost as embarrassing as him devaluing the purpose of playing in the league altogether.

I would say that I hope that's his approach to coaching every year, except that this type of rational is hurting college basketball all around.

UK fans and players should continue to enjoy working for their pimp daddy who will earn $3.4 million in University Broadcasting and Endorsement payments in 2011 alone.

Someone mentioned graduation rates earlier. Here's a telling statistic.

Calipari missed out on an extra $375,000 through his philanthropic endeavors with his blue chip players by NOT winning the National Championship.

Guess how much he would have earned if he achieved a 75 percent graduation rate or earned a .950 Academic Progress Rate?

Only $50,000 (http://i.usatoday.net/sports/college/mensbasketball/2009-04-01-kentucky-calipari-employment-agreement.pdf?loc=interstitialskip).

That's the incentive priority.

Kfanarmy
11-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Cal effectively "launders" the academic records of players who would otherwise be shut out of the draft because they couldn't get into college.

Question: would Eric Bledsoe be a millionaire today if it weren't for John Calipari's willingness to break NCAA rules? Isn't it good that Bledsoe is earning millions of dollars, and generating millions more, rather than working in some menial job in Alabama? NO...