PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd and Duke

Channing
06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Did anyone catch the last minute or so of Colin Cowheard's show today on ESPN radio? He said that he was having Shane Battier on tomorrow, and that was fine by him because Shane went to Duke. He then went on about how any Duke athlete is Ok in his book because they do things the right way or something like that, and was defending Duke, then finished off with the tired "Duke - snooty, snobby, better than you (in a mock british accent)" line. I couldnt tell if he was being sincere or not. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else caught that and got a different impression from it.

DomerDevil
06-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I heard it also. He has had several similar comments about Duke in the past. If I recall correctly, in one show he advocated an NBA roster made up entirely of former Duke players.

weezie
06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
He's always been pro-Duke but he doesn't mention it much. I heard him today, too.

Has anyone heard anything about a Pressler book tour?

lazee
06-11-2007, 10:26 PM
He's always been pro-Duke but he doesn't mention it much. I heard him today, too.

Has anyone heard anything about a Pressler book tour?

He was on ESPN's First Take this morning discussing it.

JasonEvans
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I heard it also. He has had several similar comments about Duke in the past. If I recall correctly, in one show he advocated an NBA roster made up of former Duke players.

I am not a big fan of Colin. He has a really bad rep for ripping off good ideas from others and the such...

But I like him a heck of a lot more now than I did before I read that comment on the DBR!!!

As for his notion of an all-Duke NBA roster. It would rock!!

C- Brand
PF- Boozer
SF- Battier
SG- Maggette
PG- Duhon

Bench:
C/PF- Shelden and Shav
SF/SG- Deng, JJ, Dunleavy, Dahntay, Grant Hill (also a point-forward)
PG- Ewing

Could the current Carolina alums beat them? Vince, Rasheed, Jamison, is a pretty good foundation. Any other school have anywhere close to this many good alums in the NBA right now?

-Jason "need to do some NBA digging to see who else is strong" Evans

juise
06-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Any other school have anywhere close to this many good alums in the NBA right now?

As much as I dislike them, isn't UCONN's group pretty strong?

Biscuit King
06-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Even if he's being sincere and not sarcastic (sure sounds like that entire rant is tongue-in-cheek), I still say that guy is an absolute moron and lousy, even by already-low sports radio standards.

CDu
06-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I am not a big fan of Colin. He has a really bad rep for ripping off good ideas from others and the such...

But I like him a heck of a lot more now than I did before I read that comment on the DBR!!!

As for his notion of an all-Duke NBA roster. It would rock!!

C- Brand
PF- Boozer
SF- Battier
SG- Maggette
PG- Duhon

Bench:
C/PF- Shelden and Shav
SF/SG- Deng, JJ, Dunleavy, Dahntay, Grant Hill (also a point-forward)
PG- Ewing

Could the current Carolina alums beat them? Vince, Rasheed, Jamison, is a pretty good foundation. Any other school have anywhere close to this many good alums in the NBA right now?

-Jason "need to do some NBA digging to see who else is strong" Evans

This has come up before: UConn and Carolina have pretty strong squads.

Carolina: Brendan Haywood, Rasheed Wallace, Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter, Raymond Felton, Sean May, Marvin Williams, Jerry Stackhouse, Rashad McCants, Jeff McInnis, Shammond Williams, and David Noel.

UConn: Ray Allen, Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Caron Butler, Richard Hamilton, Rudy Gay, Charlie Villanueva, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Hilton Armstrong, Cliff Robinson, and Kevin Ollie.

Arizona has some great guards: Arenas, Bibby, Terry, Iguodala, and Jefferson, along with Luke Walton, Salim Stoudamire, and Channing Frye.

Duvall
06-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I still say that guy is an absolute moron and lousy, even by already-low sports radio standards.

Absolute truth.

throatybeard
06-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I used to like Cowherd becuase he likes to tell the truth about College FB and he loves it more than any other sport.

But I swore off him about a year ago becuase he hates anything that, to his judgment, stinks of intellect. He hates "dot edu guy," he hates anyone who isn't in sales or something nakedly business-oriented, and all of that seems to me kind of antagonistic towards higher ed. How can you think "dot edu guy" is necessarily a d-bag if you love college sports. Lots of dot edu guys love college sports.

The answer to that is Cowherd's people have done market research and they've found that banging on dot edu guy is a good business move. But ultimately, I don't like this because he's always bragging about how educated and "with it" his his audience is, and yet he plays segments of his audience off each other. It's tiresome, so I gave up on him.

Zeb
06-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Deng would be starting. I think Battier would come off the bench, or maybe Maggette would sit. But after the 2007 playoffs, Deng would be a starter.

Classof06
06-13-2007, 04:28 PM
All I'll say about Cowherd is that he was one of the few individuals in the media that defended Henderson after the backlash from the Hansbrough incident; that definitely stood out to me because very few people from ESPN, or the media in general, did.

And he always has good things to say about Ohio State football, so he's alright in my book :D

DomerDevil
06-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I used to like Cowherd becuase he likes to tell the truth about College FB and he loves it more than any other sport.

But I swore off him about a year ago becuase he hates anything that, to his judgment, stinks of intellect. He hates "dot edu guy" he hates anyone who isn't in sales or something nakedly business-oriented, and all of that seems to me kind of antagonistic towards higher ed. How can you think "dot edu guy" is necessarily a d-bag if you love college sports. Lots of dot edu guys love college sports.

The answer to that is Cowherd's people have done market research and they've found that banging on dot edu guy is a good business move. But ultimately, I don't like this because he's always bragging about how educated and "with it" his his audience is, and yet he plays segments of his audience off each other. It's tiresome, so I gave up on him.

Good point about market research. For example, he used to ridicule Notre Dame. But after Charlie Weis arrived and ND once again garnered a lot of attention, marketing and otherwise, he started to sing ND's praises.

Capn Poptart
06-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I was predisposed not to like Cowherd because he replaced Tony Kornheiser, whom I really enjoyed. But I've gotten to like him. He likes college sports (mostly football). But mostly he delights in being pro-Duke. Part of that is that he knows how much that ticks off a segment of his listeners. So when he delivers the "They're smarter than you" stuff, he's doing it with a grin and a tweak at the rabid anti-Duke people.

I can't listen to him for too long, though, because he repeats himself for hours. He'll make a point and then rephrase the same point a dozen different ways. Maybe that's a function of having a long daily show.

Indoor66
06-16-2007, 08:37 AM
I agree on the repeating himself, Capn. It seems to me that this is a common problem with sports commentators who have long shows with a lot of time to fill. Maybe it is common with the mental level of sports commentators with too much time on their hands and too little research completed. Maybe it's just me, but I recall the same type problem listening to 850 out of Raleigh when Gold and others had the afternoon shows. It always sounded like they had a talking points agenda in front of them and just kept going from 1 to 2, 1 to 2, etc and their originality was restating 1 and 2 with different inflections.

Guess I'm just getting old and finicky. lol

cspan37421
06-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I was on vacation while this thread was going, but I wanted to register my agreement with BiscuitKing, Throatybeard, Duvall, and (in part) JasonEvans.

IMO Cowherd is the most arrogant jerk I've heard on sports radio; consequently I don't care if he loves Duke, hates them, or is indifferent. Cowherd combines the analytical acumen of Gregg Doyel with the bombastic non sequiturs of Rush Limbaugh. Throatybeard is right - Cowherd is a virulent anti-intellectual. His favoritism toward Duke, if any, is nothing to be proud of.