PDA

View Full Version : ESPN the Mag college basketball poll

ajgoodfella7
11-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Just got my ESPN the mag today and thought I would share some of the results to a survey given to 170 anonymous college basketball players. Duke wins the 3 most important categories by runaway margins.

Who will win the NCAA title?
1. Duke - 56.1%
2. Kentucky - 10.4%
3. Michigan State - 10.1%
UNC N/A

Who's the nation's best player?
1. Kyle Singler - 57.1%
2. Nolan Smith - 9%
3. Kalin Lucas
4. Jimmer Fredette

Who is the nation's best coach?
1. Mike Krzyzewski - 61.7%
2. Tom Izzo - 11.4%
3. John Calipari - 6.6% - ugh!

There are also individual conference polls.

DevilHorns
11-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Just got my ESPN the mag today and thought I would share some of the results to a survey given to 170 anonymous college basketball players. Duke wins the 3 most important categories by runaway margins.

Who will win the NCAA title?
1. Duke - 56.1%
2. Kentucky - 10.4%
3. Michigan State - 10.1%
UNC N/A

Who's the nation's best player?
1. Kyle Singler - 57.1%
2. Nolan Smith - 9%
3. Kalin Lucas
4. Jimmer Fredette

Who is the nation's best coach?
1. Mike Krzyzewski - 61.7%
2. Tom Izzo - 11.4%
3. John Calipari - 6.6% - ugh!

There are also individual conference polls.

I'm surprised Nolan had enough votes to be number 2 in this poll. I realize the N=170 and I don't know how they selected the college basketball players who participated (favored power conferences? only D-1 NCAA? etc). Regardless, very impressive that Nolan gets that much respect from his peers. Maybe a lot of the voters were either playing for Baylor or were in Houston when Nolan just went 29 points nasty on the court last year.

ajgoodfella7
11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm surprised Nolan had enough votes to be number 2 in this poll. I realize the N=170 and I don't know how they selected the college basketball players who participated (favored power conferences? only D-1 NCAA? etc). Regardless, very impressive that Nolan gets that much respect from his peers. Maybe a lot of the voters were either playing for Baylor or were in Houston when Nolan just went 29 points nasty on the court last year.

It doesn't say the exact breakdown though I wish it did. It also has individual polls for the ACC, SEC, Big East, Pac-10, Big Ten, Big 12, and all the mid-majors logged into one poll. Judging from the percentages, I'm guessing there were at least 20 players from each conference, and at least 20 more from the mid-majors.

LSanders
11-04-2010, 06:28 PM
A poll of BBALL players?

They list Calimari ahead of Bill Self, Jay Wright, and dozens of others?

Players?

Geez!!

Duvall
11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
A poll of BBALL players?

Players?

Geez!!

What's wrong with that? Calipari is a good coach. A dirty coach, but also a good one.

MCFinARL
11-04-2010, 06:37 PM
A poll of BBALL players?

Players?

Geez!!

Maybe they surveyed players who really like squid. ;)

Duke: A Dynasty
11-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Also:
Most annoying mascot in the ACC
And Loudest Arena in acc

I do not remember the percentages but I think the mascot had over 80% of the total!