PDA

View Full Version : Quinn Cook to Duke

DevilHorns
11-04-2010, 04:44 PM
He picks Duke! WooHoo!
:cool:

Notes:
Him and Austin are "great friends." Austin didn't push him though since he knew it was "his decision."
Regarding Kyrie staying/leaving. "Not a big factor." "If he stays, then I get to play against the best point guard in the nation every day in practice."

WOooohoo!

ajgoodfella7
11-04-2010, 04:49 PM
I guess Evan Daniels knew this story all day and was keeping it to himself. Honorable of him. Here is an interview with Quinn about picking Duke.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1017567.html

rotogod00
11-04-2010, 04:53 PM
ESPN's article

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5763787

JasonEvans
11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Thread title changed...

Welcome to Duke, Quinn! The beginning of a long friendship!

-Jason "I love get floor generals!!" Evans

rotogod00
11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
And an article from Dave Telep talking about Quinn and Nolan:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5764646

jv001
11-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Seems that Coach K's involvement is really hurting Duke Basketball. Welcome to Duke University Quinn. Go Duke!

Kedsy
11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Regarding Kyrie staying/leaving. "Not a big factor." "If he stays, then I get to play against the best point guard in the nation every day in practice."

I was very impressed with his answer to this. He showed a lot of maturity, saying it was a "win, win" situation for him, whether Kyrie stays or not.

BD80
11-04-2010, 05:10 PM
And an article from Dave Telep talking about Quinn and Nolan:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5764646

A nice read. We will be losing a tremendous person when Nolan graduates. In Quinn we are adding a tremendous person. He also happens to be a tremendous basketball player, the point guard that beat out the supposed #1 point guard (Teague) to start for the U17 US team.

Welcome Quinn!

Gewebe14
11-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Is it just me or has Nolan (seemingly) done more for Duke recruiting than anyone else in the last few years...

Except for Nate James obv

Daniel tosh
11-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Welcome to Duke Quinn !!!

Gthoma2a
11-04-2010, 05:24 PM
YES for Quinn. I love this kid. He is a guy with great character and he will be great here. He showed a lot of heart in his answer about Kyrie potentially staying. He is all about improving and that is like his good friend, Nolan. Nolan was determined like Quinn, so I see a chance for him to become a star like Nolan did.

rhcpflea99
11-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Great choice!!!!!

Greg_Newton
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I love how well we've been recruiting the DC Metro area since Nolan arrived. With the addition of Cook, we'll have 3 of the Post's 2009-2010 All-Met on our roster - Cook being the only Jr. on the list, and the POY.

(Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/highschools/all-met/2010/winter/boys-basketball/)

Duvall
11-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I love how well we've been recruiting the DC Metro area since Nolan arrived. With the addition of Cook, we'll have 3 of the Post's 2009-2010 All-Met on our roster - Cook being the only Jr. on the list, and the POY.

(Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/highschools/all-met/2010/winter/boys-basketball/)

Really glad Gary Williams isn't interested in recruiting.

Smitty1911
11-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Welcome to Duke, Quinn! He seems to be exactly the type of player you want representing your program. I look forward to watching him grow into the tremendous man and player that his "big brother" has become.

SupaDave
11-04-2010, 06:11 PM

And I like to add a special nod to Boo Williams...

delfrio
11-04-2010, 06:12 PM
That's totally great news! For those of us who don't follow recruiting that closely though, can you describe his game? Here's what I got from a couple of articles...

ESPN -- great quickness, pass-first
ACC Journal -- not so great quickness, scoring PG

huh...?

Duvall
11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
And I like to add a special nod to Boo Williams...

Why?

watzone
11-04-2010, 06:34 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/hungry-duke-gets-a-cook-quinn-pulls-the-trigger/ Here is a lot of background on Quinn Cook.

SupaDave
11-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Why?

His league is giving us some really quality players.

dukeimac
11-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Okay, lets see..

PG Irving & Cook
SG Rivers & Curry

Why in the world would post players not want to come to Duke? If Duke has the best back court this year, imagine what next year will be like.

I have a feeling a post player will be committing soon...

Maybe a de-commit and then a commit...

Kedsy
11-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Okay, lets see..

PG Irving & Cook
SG Rivers & Curry

Why in the world would post players not want to come to Duke? If Duke has the best back court this year, imagine what next year will be like.

I have a feeling a post player will be committing soon...

Maybe a de-commit and then a commit...

First of all, you forgot Tyler Thornton, who will be seeing decent minutes next year, as well as Andre Dawkins and Mike Gbinije, even though both will see minutes at the "3" (as will Austin). Second, the possibility of Kyrie still being here is far from a sure thing.

But to answer your question, a post player wouldn't want to come to Duke if that post player wanted to be a primary (or secondary or tertiary) option on offense.

Orange&BlackSheep
11-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Is it just me or has Nolan (seemingly) done more for Duke recruiting than anyone else in the last few years...

Except for Nate James obv

would like in on this discussion ....

SupaDave
11-04-2010, 08:27 PM
would like in on this discussion ....

And let's not forget Andre Dawkin's efforts as well.

But back to Quinn, I've been sure of the kid for a long time. I can rememeber posters mentioning him when he was like 14 years old. Someone even posted a pic of a young Quinn hanging out with Nolan. I thought it might be close to impossible to say no considering all of their ties and how he he's watched Nolan development. Great to have Quinn here - he's gonna be solid.

Also a small nod to the chemistry our team should have for the next few years. Many of the players are good and familiar with each other. Some are even brothers. :)

Duvall
11-04-2010, 08:34 PM
His league is giving us some really quality players.

Aren't the DMV guys (Smith, Thornton, Hairston, Cook) all DC Assault alums?

SupaDave
11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Aren't the DMV guys (Smith, Thornton, Hairston, Cook) all DC Assault alums?

yes - and all of these kids play in the Boo Williams tourneys. It's great for seeing and evaluating talent in the area.

dukeman28428
11-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for coming to Duke Quinn....You are going to love it here.

PADukeMom
11-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Welcome to DUKE Quinn! Can't wait to see you play next season.

SuperTurkey
11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I think this silly bit of speculation from ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/features/rumors/_/id/2862) (sorry, it's Insider) is more appropriate here than in its own thread. The thesis is that, with the commitment of Cook, the backcourt will be so crowded that Andre Dawkins may head elsewhere, and Coach Dawkins might have an ideal spot for him at Stanford.

PSurprise
11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Looking forward to Quin lighting it up with Austin next year! Welcome to Duke!

Woohoo!

Bluedog
11-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I think this silly bit of speculation from ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/features/rumors/_/id/2862) (sorry, it's Insider) is more appropriate here than in its own thread. The thesis is that, with the commitment of Cook, the backcourt will be so crowded that Andre Dawkins may head elsewhere, and Coach Dawkins might have an ideal spot for him at Stanford.

Especially silly since the WF will probably be our weakest position. While Dawkins can be a 2, he'll spend time at the 3, with Gbinije being the primary competition next year. Who else can play the 3? I guess maybe Hairston...If anyone would get lost in the shuffle, it'd be Thornton with Cook + Curry at PG.

In any event, glad to have Quinn on board! Welcome to Duke! He's going to be a great player for us.

Bluedog
11-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Supposedly, Cook put up 31 points and 14 assists tonight. Nice!

juise
11-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Supposedly, Cook put up 31 points and 14 assists tonight. Nice!

Yep, according to his coach's tweet (http://twitter.com/OHACOACHSMITH).

Won tonight 119-67. Quinn Cook had 31 and 14 assists, Ben McLemore 30, Jordan Adams 20, and Keith Hornsby 17.

DukeSean
11-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Welcome to Duke QC! It's gonna be an awesome ride, looking forward to you being a big part of that!

dukeimac
11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Why would a post player come to Duke, because everything starts with the guards. See UNC last season for a reference.

I didn't include Dawkins and Gbinije because they are SF.

Everything starts with the guards!

I'm afraid with Kyrie, Curry, Austin and Cook it will be a good few years before TT gets actual playing time that he might be a transfer. Especially if Cook is a 4 year guy. Sounds like TT is a very good defender but Kyrie and Cook are better (maybe not much) passers and are much better scorers. Before I would talk about TT with this group he'll need to prove he can put up the points.

Spy
11-06-2010, 10:18 PM
A couple reasons a big man won't come include a)Our big-man coach was a guard b)They probably saw the role our bigs played last year and think K will attempt to continue with that formula. I have couple more reasons bouncing around in my head... I'll share them if i can remember.

sagegrouse
11-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Why would a post player come to Duke, because everything starts with the guards. See UNC last season for a reference.

I didn't include Dawkins and Gbinije because they are SF.

Everything starts with the guards!

I'm afraid with Kyrie, Curry, Austin and Cook it will be a good few years before TT gets actual playing time that he might be a transfer. Especially if Cook is a 4 year guy. Sounds like TT is a very good defender but Kyrie and Cook are better (maybe not much) passers and are much better scorers. Before I would talk about TT with this group he'll need to prove he can put up the points.

This Board doesn't need these gratuitous slaps at Duke recruiting and a current player IMHO. What is your point in making troll-like comments? First of all, the best player at Duke this year is not a guard. Moreover, of the 12 Duke players in the NBA, the seven who start are all forwards -- Deng, Boozer, McBob, Dunleavy, Brand, Hill, and Battier. Plus, Maggette (F) also plays starter minutes.

Second and WRT to Tyler Thornton: what is the purpose of such negative speculation ever -- but especially before he has even played in a game? You are implying, as you well recognize, that he made a mistake coming to Duke. Well he was the DC-area POY last year. Maybe, just maybe he will be a really good player at Duke, and maybe even this year.

sagegrouse

duke blue brewcrew
11-06-2010, 11:30 PM
This Board doesn't need these gratuitous slaps at Duke recruiting and a current player IMHO. What is your point in making troll-like comments? First of all, the best player at Duke this year is not a guard. Moreover, of the 12 Duke players in the NBA, the seven who start are all forwards -- Deng, Boozer, McBob, Dunleavy, Brand, Hill, and Battier. Plus, Maggette (F) also plays starter minutes.

Second and WRT to Tyler Thornton: what is the purpose of such negative speculation ever -- but especially before he has even played in a game? You are implying, as you well recognize, that he made a mistake coming to Duke. Well he was the DC-area POY last year. Maybe, just maybe he will be a really good player at Duke, and maybe even this year.

sagegrouse

I couldn't agree more with your points about Duke's forwards and Tyler Thornton. It amazes me how quickly people forget that Duke has produced some outstanding forwards throughout the years. Most of which have gone on to have (or are currently having) very successful NBA careers.

IMHO Tyler Thornton is going to be a Sean Dockery type, but with an upgraded offensive game. He's a player that brings a blue collar, nose to the grind stone, "glue-guy" quality to the floor that all successful Duke teams of the past have had. There is certainly room for a guy like that on any Blue Devil roster.

With that said, I'm happy to see Quinn Cook joining the Duke program. You can never have enough weapons in the backcourt, and Coach K will find a way to make it all work. At this point, the biggest question I have is...what is to become of the Tyler Adams scholly? Will recruiting efforts step up with someone like Amir Williams? Will a de-commitment situation present itself? Only time will tell, but I'll be obsessively searching Duke Websites for information until it happens.

gam7
11-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Moreover, of the 12 Duke players in the NBA, the seven who start are all forwards -- Deng, Boozer, McBob, Dunleavy, Brand, Hill, and Battier. Plus, Maggette (F) also plays starter minutes.

Duke has 13 players in the NBA this year. Also, Shelden Williams is starting for the Nuggets.

In addition to the nine guys mentioned above, Duke has Redick, Duhon, Dahntay Jones and Henderson.

DukieTiger
11-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Count me as one who doesn't see Quinn Cook's commitment automatically relegating Ty Thornton (or Andre Dawkins, as that ludicrous ESPN article suggests) to the bench. If they're good enough, they'll play. Coach K has said Ty should have a role THIS year, so I see no reason why he won't fit in next year. Heck, he could even start- with Quinn a freshman and Curry not a sure thing at the point. It's not out of the realm of possibility, at least.

sagegrouse
11-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Duke has 13 players in the NBA this year. Also, Shelden Williams is starting for the Nuggets.

In addition to the nine guys mentioned above, Duke has Redick, Duhon, Dahntay Jones and Henderson.

Yep. It's funny, but Shelden was the first guy I thought of, and then I didn't put him on my list. :o

The other point is that Brand, Boozer, Shelden, and McBob all played center at Duke. So why would a big man come to Duke? Perhaps to make zillions in the NBA?

sagegrouse

El_Diablo
11-07-2010, 09:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5763787

This link was already posted on page 1 of this thread, but the article was later updated to include the ESPNU video of the announcement and the follow-up Q&A. For those who missed it live, you can watch it here.

Lord Ash
11-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Eh, article doesn't blow me away... four star recruit? The guy will likely be a McDonald's AA... is that really four star? Also, he will be in a dynamic backcourt with Rivers, Thornton, and possibly Irving... yeah? And what about Seth Curry and Dre?

juise
11-07-2010, 11:41 AM
The guy will likely be a McDonald's AA... is that really four star?

Sean Dockery and Nolan Smith were both four-star recruits that made the McDonald's All-American team. The "star" hype is pretty arbitrary. Immediate impact recruits like DeJuan Blair and Evan Turner (slightly less immediate) were four-star players.

Lord Ash
11-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I suppose Quinn he is a four star at both ESPN and Rivals... I guess I am so used to looking at Scout (which has him at five) that I didn't totally think it out. I was pretty impressed by his performance at the U-17s, and the fact that he started there, as well as starting at Oak Hill and likely being a McD AA, made me bristle a little at the "four star" thing. Silly perhaps!

Regardless, as you said, there are LOTS of great, great guys who were called "four star" by experts as high school players who went on to AMAZING careers, both in the NCAAs and in the pros... I look forward to seeing Quinn amaze us at Duke!

And like many folks, I am surprised when I read articles from the pros that seem to miss big chunks of info... it is like the front page DBR article about the supposed lack of bigs in the ACC which completely leaves out Duke's bigs... I don't think one has to be some huge fan of a team or a league to remember HALF of Duke's future backcourt, or the entire frontcourt, you know?

El_Diablo
11-07-2010, 12:12 PM
I suppose Quinn he is a four star at both ESPN and Rivals... I guess I am so used to looking at Scout (which has him at five) that I didn't totally think it out. I was pretty impressed by his performance at the U-17s, and the fact that he started there, as well as starting at Oak Hill and likely being a McD AA, made me bristle a little at the "four star" thing. Silly perhaps!

Regardless, as you said, there are LOTS of great, great guys who were called "four star" by experts as high school players who went on to AMAZING careers, both in the NCAAs and in the pros... I look forward to seeing Quinn amaze us at Duke!

Rivals, Scout, and ESPN all ranked Cook in the 20s as far as top players for the class. Scout and Rivals have assigned 5 stars to the top 25 players, whereas ESPN is a little more stingy with the starts and has assigned only them to their top 20 players. Had ESPN been more liberal with the stars (top 25), Cook would be a five star recruit for ESPN as well.

Although if Cook keeps having 31/14 games this year, he should move up to 5 stars in all rankings. :)

And since there are 24 McD's AA players, there have to be at least four sub-5-star recruits (in ESPN's system) every year.

dukeimac
11-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Not a slap in anyone's face nor am I implying he made a mistake committing to Duke. He committed before Duke got Kyrie, Austin and Cook in the boat. Pretty hard to believe he could have thought it would be a mistake before they were in the boat.

My comments are more on the ranking on these guys and the NBA scouts comments about these guys. No scout even talked about Tyler while Kyrie, Austin and Cook rank pretty high on the scouts lists and the lists of Rivals, Espn, etc.

Looking at Duke's past, guys like Tyler (King, Boykins, etc.) got playing time before the conference season started. People were somewhat high on these guys. Then conference season started and where did they end up. I just see this same situation repeating itself. I have nothing against Tyler and I hope he does find a spot on the team.

I hope he sticks around 4 years and by his senior season becomes a big part of a successful team. The point I'm raising is if Duke continues to recruit like this, will he wait around for playing time.

I have two paid NBA scout sites I get my information from. Both have been pretty accurate with their comments. Both thought Adams was not a fit for Duke and both think Parker is not a good fit for Duke. Both think Duke's coaching of big men is excellent.

Jderf
11-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Not a slap in anyone's face nor am I implying he made a mistake committing to Duke. He committed before Duke got Kyrie, Austin and Cook in the boat. Pretty hard to believe he could have thought it would be a mistake before they were in the boat.

My comments are more on the ranking on these guys and the NBA scouts comments about these guys. No scout even talked about Tyler while Kyrie, Austin and Cook rank pretty high on the scouts lists and the lists of Rivals, Espn, etc.

Looking at Duke's past, guys like Tyler (King, Boykins, etc.) got playing time before the conference season started. People were somewhat high on these guys. Then conference season started and where did they end up. I just see this same situation repeating itself. I have nothing against Tyler and I hope he does find a spot on the team.

I hope he sticks around 4 years and by his senior season becomes a big part of a successful team. The point I'm raising is if Duke continues to recruit like this, will he wait around for playing time.

I have two paid NBA scout sites I get my information from. Both have been pretty accurate with their comments. Both thought Adams was not a fit for Duke and both think Parker is not a good fit for Duke. Both think Duke's coaching of big men is excellent.

When it comes to transfers, minutes are not the only thing that comes into play; temperament and friendships can also have a large role. If a player is close with the people around him, he will be more strongly tied to the university and less likely to transfer. For example, having been in close proximity to the Taylor King situation, there was definitely a divide between Kyle-Nolan and Taylor. Those two are just so close, and Taylor was always hovering a bit on the outside. Remember: Nolan's freshman year was not that much better than Taylor's, yet he stayed around.

Being on campus, it sounds like Tyler Thornton is a lot closer with the team than King was. No insider info here, but that seems to be the general consensus. It's hard to tell how much that would come into play if he ever considers transferring, but you'd have to thing that it makes it less likely.

Also, the thing about Tyler is that, in interviews, he seems to embrace his position on the team and respect the fact that he is going to have to earn his minutes, for the time being AND down the road. He's a very realistic kid who seems more focused on getting better than getting minutes.

BD80
11-07-2010, 01:28 PM
... My comments are more on the ranking on these guys and the NBA scouts comments about these guys. ...

I think it is fair to say that Tyler and the coaching staff would disagree with the "rankings."

Tyler may not yet have NBA "buzz," but he has all the tools to be a very good pg for a great team. He may not be the flashy offensive machine that gets high ranking from scouting services, but he can run a team, play defense, and win games at this level.

Duke players are given roles to play, and Tyler will have his "role" - generally to be an energy guy off the bench to amp up the defensive pressure, but that won't limit what he can do. If he shows he deserves it, he will get more time, particularly in end game when we want to burn clock and protect the ball.

I see Tyler as working hard to be a starter this year and next. Maybe he won't start, but he won't be the bench warmer you predict. He pressures the ball on D and doesn't turn it over on offense - he'll be on the court this year and next. Quinn will have his work cut out for him to start over the more experienced Tyler next year.

DMV2434
12-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Here it is (http://susanshan.com/2010/12/13/quinn-cook-future-duke-pg-talks-fathers-death-basketball/), the story of his father's death.

roywhite
12-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Quinn Cook led his team to a tournament title in Hawaii and was named MVP (http://scoringlive.com/story.php?storyid=510#12)

The 6-foot-1, ultra-smooth Cook was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player after a spectacular four-game display of dazzling ball-handling, nifty passing and creative shot-making

roywhite
12-23-2010, 10:33 AM
An additional thought on Quinn Cook:

I watched some of Austin Rivers' game last night, and it led me to think that Cook made a real good move by going to Oak Hill for his senior season. Austin Rivers plays for a good, large classification public school, Winter Park, but is not surrounded by top talent and doesn't appear to be getting great coaching. Winter Park plays bad team defense for stretches and just doesn't have players who are big-time prospects.

Cook is playing at the highest level of prep basketball at Oak Hill, and gets to play with very good players, against a tough schedule, and with the benefit of good coaching. In a strictly basketball sense, he is in a better situation to develop during his senior year than Austin.

There are plenty of other considerations about going to a prep school vs staying home (family, friends, a normal high school experience, etc.), but for elite prospects, the high level prep school approach makes a lot of sense IMO.

MChambers
12-25-2010, 02:05 AM
Quinn Cook led his team to a tournament title in Hawaii and was named MVP (http://scoringlive.com/story.php?storyid=510#12)
Funny, my family and I saw the Montverde team in a restaurant Sunday morning in Honolulu. (We're on vacation in Hawaii.) We had no idea who they were, except for their sweatshirts, their height, and the fact that they demolished the all-you-can eat breakfast buffet. As a Duke fan, I guess we should have postponed our flight to Maui to see a game or two, but I don't think my wife would have gone for that. Glad to hear Quinn and Oak Hill are playing so well. Sounds like he'll be a great addition next year.

SilkyJ
12-25-2010, 01:57 PM

The 6-foot-1, ultra-smooth Cook was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player after a spectacular four-game display of dazzling ball-handling, nifty passing and creative shot-making

Hmm, that description sounds toetally familiar...

stillcrazie
01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
http://courtcred.com/section-blog/42/2388.html

rotogod00
01-18-2011, 06:37 PM
According to Dave Telep, Cook was outplayed by Shannon Scott at the recent Hoophall Classic. While there's no shame in that as Scott is a top 10 PG prospect in his own right, it's this quote from Telep about Cook that jumped out at me: "The knee injury he suffered in late August at the Elite 24 seems to have limited his speed and explosion."

4+ months removed from the injury, should he have been fully recovered by now? Not being a doctor, any long-term concern here?

airowe
01-18-2011, 09:31 PM
According to Dave Telep, Cook was outplayed by Shannon Scott at the recent Hoophall Classic. While there's no shame in that as Scott is a top 10 PG prospect in his own right, it's this quote from Telep about Cook that jumped out at me: "The knee injury he suffered in late August at the Elite 24 seems to have limited his speed and explosion."

4+ months removed from the injury, should he have been fully recovered by now? Not being a doctor, any long-term concern here?

Shannon Scott is really, really good. He dominated Rodney Purvis not too long ago.

I haven't seen Quinn play that recently but he is having an outstanding season. He may have just had a bad game...

Bob Green
01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
I haven't seen Quinn play that recently but he is having an outstanding season. He may have just had a bad game...

I watched the entire game and Quinn Cook didn't have a great game; however, he scored 16 points and delivered several nice passes for assists. Not a bad effort for an off game.

Mike Corey
01-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Quinn was really broken up about the performance. Not indicative of the kind of talent, or potential, his work ethic has helped him achieve.

SeattleIrish
01-18-2011, 10:05 PM

Who DID they think would be a good big man fit for Duke? I am curious, and I'm not on the pay sites - throw me a bone ;)

s.i.

JohnGalt
01-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Quinn was really broken up about the performance. Not indicative of the kind of talent, or potential, his work ethic has helped him achieve.

I can only imagine. These kid's performances are so scrutinized every time they hit the floor, it must be emotionally wearing. Lord forbid an off day surfaces from time to time.

Personally, I can't wait for Quinn to suit up. Maybe we can get tOSU in the ACC/Big 10/11/12 Challenge next year so he gets another shot at Scott. ;)

Devilsfan
01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
He was on the espnu the other night when oak hill then ranked #1 was beaten. He looked more like the son of an nba coach playing the point for some middle of the road acc team than the point guard leading the #1 HS team in the country. That said Nolan has become a superstar in four years. Hope Quinn does the same. Not everyone can come in and instantly amaze like Kyrie.

Kedsy
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
He looked more like the son of an nba coach playing the point for some middle of the road acc team than the point guard leading the #1 HS team in the country.

What does this even mean? Are point guards on good high school teams somehow better than "the son of an NBA coach playing the point for some middle of the road ACC team"?

Quinn is a top 20 prospect. Did you really expect him to be as good as Kyrie (a top 3 prospect coming out of high school)?

rotogod00
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Quinn was one of the "Standout Player"s of the Presidential Hoopfest. Said he "did a great job of controlling the tempo, creating for teammates and picking his spots for his own offense, finishing with a game-high 28 points."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6144072

FerryFor50
02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
What does this even mean? Are point guards on good high school teams somehow better than "the son of an NBA coach playing the point for some middle of the road ACC team"?

Quinn is a top 20 prospect. Did you really expect him to be as good as Kyrie (a top 3 prospect coming out of high school)?

I think this was more of a backhanded shot at Larry Drew II than at Cook. :)

Bluedog
02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Note that Quinn's teammates Sidiki Johnson and Ben McLemore have been kicked off the team for violating an undisclosed team rule. They are not only no longer on the team, but they are no longer students at Oak Hill. Johnson has signed a LOI to go to Arizona. McLemore is uncommitted, but is choosing between Kansas and Missouri. Don't know if this jeopardizes their college careers, but I'd imagine not...although Bill Self seems like a stand up guy so I'd imagine he's want more information on it. And if they're no longer students at Oak Hill, they better be enrolling elsewhere so they can graduate on time.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/02/21/johnson-mclemore-dismissed-from-oak-hill/