PDA

View Full Version : Lance Thomas and the Austin Toros

CameronBornAndBred
11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I was browsing the results of the D-League draft and noticed Lance went to the Toros in the second round.
http://www.nba.com/dleague/draft_2010.html
No story to go with it, but best of luck to Lance. League play starts in 2 weeks.

AlaskanAssassin
11-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Same here, best of luck, Lance.

I'm assuming he'll still get paid a decent amount in the d-league, eh?

NSDukeFan
11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
I was browsing the results of the D-League draft and noticed Lance went to the Toros in the second round.
http://www.nba.com/dleague/draft_2010.html
No story to go with it, but best of luck to Lance. League play starts in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering what he would be up to this year. I will, of course, be interested to find out where Jon (Europe?) and Zoubs end up as well. Best of luck to all of them.

wilson
11-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Same here, best of luck, Lance.

I'm assuming he'll still get paid a decent amount in the d-league, eh?Not really. D-League players make $12,000-24,000 per season.

Greg_Newton
11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Not really. D-League players make $12,000-24,000 per season.

Yeah, I was curious, so I did a little googling... really interesting article here about it: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7239948. I had no idea it was a such a financially rough gig.

timmy c
11-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the update on Lance. I hope he has as much success with the Toros as Quin Snyder did.

ambitiouspear
11-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Your fans are all rooting for you!

hq2
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Well, if Lance enjoys playing some ball and getting paid for it, he may have some fun in the NBDL. I would be very surprised if he ever plays in the NBA, unless some team is desperate for D at 3. He just doesn't have a good enough offensive game to play in the pros, at least now. If he could get a good upfake-dribble-stop and pop, that plus his open jump shot and his D might get him a job in Europe.

SupaDave
11-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Well, if Lance enjoys playing some ball and getting paid for it, he may have some fun in the NBDL. I would be very surprised if he ever plays in the NBA, unless some team is desperate for D at 3. He just doesn't have a good enough offensive game to play in the pros, at least now. If he could get a good upfake-dribble-stop and pop, that plus his open jump shot and his D might get him a job in Europe.

All it takes is for the ball to bounce your way. Many times we forget that there are so many intangibles that can make or break a career outside of an individuals talent. An injury or two and Lance could end up on a roster with ease. (FYI - you don't go to Europe unless they are offering big money or you have exhausted your NBA possibilities - or both...)

timmy c
11-08-2010, 06:17 AM
All it takes is for the ball to bounce your way. Many times we forget that there are so many intangibles that can make or break a career outside of an individuals talent. An injury or two and Lance could end up on a roster with ease. (FYI - you don't go to Europe unless they are offering big money or you have exhausted your NBA possibilities - or both...)

ummm... Who is Allen Iverson?

COYS
11-08-2010, 10:00 AM
ummm... Who is Allen Iverson?

True . . . and who will be Gilbert Arenas if he doesn't decide to retire, instead?

flyingdutchdevil
11-08-2010, 12:03 PM
True . . . and who will be Gilbert Arenas if he doesn't decide to retire, instead?

Big difference between the two. One doesn't like bringing himself to practice. The other likes bringing guns to practice.

94duke
01-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Lance and the Austin Toros are on TV, right now!
He's in the starting line-up.
Versus (Durham, TWC, Ch 1514)

strawbs
01-22-2011, 11:26 PM
my cable signal is making it near unwatchable for me. Every 20 seconds or so it starts going crazy. Best way to describe it is like a record skipping. Go figure as I'm typing this the picture finally starts clearing up, only to have Lance sub out.

SCMatt33
01-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Lance and the Austin Toros are on TV, right now!
He's in the starting line-up.
Versus (Durham, TWC, Ch 1514)

I won't spoil it for those who want to watch, but this game is a replay (it really started at 9PM EST). Here is the link to what happened (http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20110122/AUSUTA/gameinfo.html) if you can't wait and want to see how Lance did.

FireOgilvie
01-22-2011, 11:37 PM
It looks like Lance has a massive Virgin Mary tattoo on his arm now. That must be new.

94duke
01-22-2011, 11:37 PM
I won't spoil it for those who want to watch, but this game is a replay (it really started at 9PM EST). Here is the link to what happened (http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20110122/AUSUTA/gameinfo.html) if you can't wait and want to see how Lance did.

Whoops! That's what I get for watching college hoops all day!

SCMatt33
01-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Whoops! That's what I get for watching college hoops all day!

It's an easy mistake, especially since I don't think it was aired live. I only figured out it was a replay when I wanted to see what Lance had done before I turned it on. I guess the D-league isn't good enough to played live in prime time.

Bluedog
01-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Lance "just" (as in, during this delayed broadcast) hit a 3-pointer and then got a beautiful tip-in off of his teammate's missed shot. The tip-in reminded me of his good ole days at Duke, but the 3 certainly didn't.

I just looked it up and LT attempted ZERO three-pointers in his four years at Duke! So, I guess it took the D-league to bring out long-range jumpers in him. He's averaging more than twice as many points per game in the D-league as he did at Duke his senior year.

delfrio
01-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Lance "just" (as in, during this delayed broadcast) hit a 3-pointer and then got a beautiful tip-in off of his teammate's missed shot. The tip-in reminded me of his good ole days at Duke, but the 3 certainly didn't.

I just looked it up and LT attempted ZERO three-pointers in his four years at Duke! So, I guess it took the D-league to bring out long-range jumpers in him. He's averaging more than twice as many points per game in the D-league as he did at Duke his senior year.

Well, maybe the scorekeeper was shocked too, because he's not credited with any 3-pt attempts.

Bluedog
01-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Well, maybe the scorekeeper was shocked too, because he's not credited with any 3-pt attempts.

You are correct. My mistake. Must not have been a 3; instead a long-range two. That's what I get for only half paying attention.

Devilsfan
01-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Let's hope some Euro team sees him play and offers him a slot on their team where he makes some decent money. He's an asset as a team player. Good luck Lance hope you get a chance like Mr. McClure to follow your passion and get paid for it. All Duke fans love you for the way you play the game with such consistent effort and the banner you help us win.

timmy c
01-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Let's hope some Euro team sees him play and offers him a slot on their team where he makes some decent money. He's an asset as a team player. Good luck Lance hope you get a chance like Mr. McClure to follow your passion and get paid for it. All Duke fans love you for the way you play the game with such consistent effort and the banner you help us win.

Malik Hairston (Oregon) might be the best example of how Lance Thomas might find success. Hairston spent an entire year in 2008 with the Toro’s converting himself from a college PF into a wing player. During the 2009 he bounced back and forth with some mild success in the NBA. Hairston’s expanded ability to play on the wing helped earn him a more lucrative deal in Europe this year.

Lance has obviously spent time working on an offensive game to match his defensive prowess. I hope he finds success wherever he chooses to invest his talents.

For more on Hairston: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_Hairston

basket1544
02-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I have tickets to see Lance play against the Texas Legends on Monday night and now I've found out that Jon's team plays against the Legends on Tuesday night. Next week is going to be fun and I'll be sure to post any pictures I take during the game.

basket1544
02-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Just got home from the Legends vs. Toros game. Had a great time. I met Lance before the game after he finished warm ups. I had on my championship shirt and he turned to me and said, "Hey that's a great shirt." He then talked to me for a little while and signed my Worthy Champions book. It was great getting to see him play for the first time in 10 months. Lance had a team high 24 points. He drove to the basket on many occasions and got to the line frequently (he made 10 out of 11).
He is the leader on his team (of course). When the National Anthem ended one of his teammates turned from the line toward the basket before the color guard had marched off. Lance quickly turned and said something to him and they all got back in line until the color guard left. That was the start of a night of listening to him talk. He made sure teammates knew what play was being called from the bench; when subs were made on the Legends team, he called out to teammates to make sure they knew who they were guarding. My only complaint would be his four fouls (2 of which were 80 feet from the basket), but otherwise he did wonderfully.
Can't wait to see Jon's team play tomorrow night.

strawbs
02-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Just got home from the Legends vs. Toros game. Had a great time. I met Lance before the game after he finished warm ups. I had on my championship shirt and he turned to me and said, "Hey that's a great shirt." He then talked to me for a little while and signed my Worthy Champions book. It was great getting to see him play for the first time in 10 months. Lance had a team high 24 points. He drove to the basket on many occasions and got to the line frequently (he made 10 out of 11).
He is the leader on his team (of course). When the National Anthem ended one of his teammates turned from the line toward the basket before the color guard had marched off. Lance quickly turned and said something to him and they all got back in line until the color guard left. That was the start of a night of listening to him talk. He made sure teammates knew what play was being called from the bench; when subs were made on the Legends team, he called out to teammates to make sure they knew who they were guarding. My only complaint would be his four fouls (2 of which were 80 feet from the basket), but otherwise he did wonderfully.
Can't wait to see Jon's team play tomorrow night.

please post another update like this after Jon's game tomorrow. It was great to hear that lance played so well, and is still taking a leadership on his new team. Thanks for the write up, it was appreciated!

moonpie23
02-22-2011, 12:09 AM
coach thomas someday?

wilson
02-22-2011, 12:14 AM
coach thomas someday?It sure sounds like it. If you think about it, lots of the on-court hallmarks of Duke basketball for the past 3 decades make for excellent coaching acumen. I'm willing to wager that, when all's said and done, the K Koaching tree will be among the most extensive and successful anywhere.

uh_no
02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
It sure sounds like it. If you think about it, lots of the on-court hallmarks of Duke basketball for the past 3 decades make for excellent coaching acumen. I'm willing to wager that, when all's said and done, the K Koaching tree will be among the most extensive and successful anywhere.

And of course, it means coach K's coaching tree will never be as successful as bob knights coaching tree!

78Devil
02-22-2011, 03:00 PM
I could have sworn I saw Lance Thomas when I was at the Duke/Georgia Tech game on Sunday. But it seems unlikely considering that he was playing in Austin Monday night. Anyone else see him?

wilson
02-22-2011, 03:08 PM
I could have sworn I saw Lance Thomas when I was at the Duke/Georgia Tech game on Sunday. But it seems unlikely considering that he was playing in Austin Monday night. Anyone else see him?It was probably just Dave Chappelle.
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/dave_chappelle%281%29.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/act_lance_thomas.jpg

stickdog
02-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Glad to see Lance doing his thing!