PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Cal Poly Pomona Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

MChambers
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Tomorrow (Thursday) night the Devils take on the defending Division II champs. Should be a better test than the last exhibition. Post your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

ACCBBallFan
11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Should be a battle of styles. Most of their games last year were inthe high 60's, low 70's.

Cal Poly Pomona lost its top scorer who averaged 13.3 PPG but returns the next four who were all in the 8-9+ range. They have a little more size than the typical Div II or mid major with one guy 6'9"' 240 # 24 Jahn and the other 6'6" 245 # 31 Fells

http://www.broncoathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

superdave
11-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Are we expecting an Irving, Smith, Singler, Plum and Plum starting lineup? Or do things get shaken up?

Anyone got any news on how practices have been going that should shed light on the exhibitions?

timmy c
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Are we expecting an Irving, Smith, Singler, Plum and Plum starting lineup? Or do things get shaken up?

Anyone got any news on how practices have been going that should shed light on the exhibitions?

I have no information on the starting line-up, but, I hope to see a bunch of potential line-ups for the upcoming season. Who starts the game is less important to me than who plays major minutes, who steps up, and who will Coach K go to in important spots.

Key questions for this game:
1) How will the frontline look against an opponent that is bigger than St. Augs.
2) Will Kyrie continue to show maturity and grow from his mistakes?
3) Can this team show improvement in free-throw shooting

Kedsy
11-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Who starts the game is less important to me than who plays major minutes, who steps up, and who will Coach K go to in important spots.

This is an exhibition game against a Division II team (albeit a good DII team). Do you honestly think there will be any "important spots"?

DukieInBrasil
11-03-2010, 02:14 PM
This is an exhibition game against a Division II team (albeit a good DII team). Do you honestly think there will be any "important spots"?

Duke to inbound the ball....
just imagine the importance of that play.
Oh wait, this is pre-season exhibition? Well, then I'd be interested in seeing which combinations K uses and which ones get the most minutes. Hopefully the D-II champs will be able to push our boys a little bit and get them prepared for the beginning of the season. I don't see any "important minutes" in this game.

uh_no
11-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Hopefully the D-II champs will be able to push our boys a little bit .

not sure how you define push?

maybe closer than say...32?

nah...doubtful

timmy c
11-03-2010, 02:35 PM

If this exhibition game doesn't have at least several important spots, why play it all? Important spots happen in every game no matter who the competition is. I am looking forward to seeing who is successful in the sets that Coach K calls.

sagegrouse
11-03-2010, 02:35 PM

This is not a real game. This is not a real game. I expect that the substitutions are already on paper to ensure that the main players get about 20 minutes each. And that the players (and coaches) get to experiment with different lineups.

Last year Syracuse lost to the crosstown Division II LeMoyne Dolphins in just such an exhibition. Holy Toledo! The 'Cuse really stink! Well, it was one the 'Cuse's better seasons in the past decade. The after story is that zone-lovin' Jim Boeheim played a man-to-man defense the entire game, even at crunch time. Then, according to Orange players, never played it again the rest of the season.

And,... guess what? The two teams play again on November 9.

sagegrouse

MChambers
11-03-2010, 04:00 PM
This is not a real game. This is not a real game. I expect that the substitutions are already on paper to ensure that the main players get about 20 minutes each. And that the players (and coaches) get to experiment with different lineups.

Last year Syracuse lost to the crosstown Division II LeMoyne Dolphins in just such an exhibition. Holy Toledo! The 'Cuse really stink! Well, it was one the 'Cuse's better seasons in the past decade. The after story is that zone-lovin' Jim Boeheim played a man-to-man defense the entire game, even at crunch time. Then, according to Orange players, never played it again the rest of the season.

And,... guess what? The two teams play again on November 9.

sagegrouse
Maybe Coach K will play a zone the whole game.

Nah!

DukieInBrasil
11-03-2010, 04:18 PM
not sure how you define push?

maybe closer than say...32?

nah...doubtful
that they make our guys play closer to the level that they'll have to play at in DI games. The score isn't really of any importance, but the effort and focus necessary to execute K's plan is.

NSDukeFan
11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
How would a top-ranked D2 team compare to weaker Division 1 teams? I assume that if Cal Poly Pomona is a top 5 ranked Division 2 team, that they would be able to beat some Division 1 teams. I wonder how many, or at what level they would be able to compete? Is it reasonable to think this would be similar to Duke playing a weaker Division 1 team? I don't know if anyone has any answers, but I thought it might be an interesting question.

OldPhiKap
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
How would a top-ranked D2 team compare to weaker Division 1 teams? I assume that if Cal Poly Pomona is a top 5 ranked Division 2 team, that they would be able to beat some Division 1 teams. I wonder how many, or at what level they would be able to compete? Is it reasonable to think this would be similar to Duke playing a weaker Division 1 team? I don't know if anyone has any answers, but I thought it might be an interesting question.

I don't know exactly who they have brought back, but they have a consistent top program in their division. I assume that means they are well-coached and talented. That's more than you can say for every D-1 team -- just because you have a larger school doesn't mean you're competitive in every sport.

DukieInBrasil
11-04-2010, 11:16 AM
It seems like every year there is some DI school that schedules a DII school b/c they think it'll be an easy win, cuz usually they are, and loses. Perhaps it happens multiple times in any season, but still it's not common. Wasn't there an ACC team that scheduled a DII team last year and just barely won?

airowe
11-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Here's a preview of the game from DukeBlueNV on my site:

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/11/04/game-preview-cal-poly-pomona-thurs-7-pm-home/

gumbomoop
11-04-2010, 02:21 PM

For comparative purposes, here's a link to a recent FSU exhibition game with a solid (not top-5, but preseason #17) D II team in Fla. 'Noles won easily, but not overwhelmingly, seem to have used 10 guys each 20 min +/-. Shot lots of 3s, Singleton best game.

http://www.seminoles.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/fsu/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/110310-rollins-box-score

loran16
11-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Ummm Duke always has competed with D2 Champions in the past, in face this is 3 of the last 4 years, right? I remember playing Belmont the year after they shocked winona state in the D2 finals.

sagegrouse
11-04-2010, 02:44 PM

Here's a precise non-answer: There are 346 Div I basketball schools in 32 conferences. There are 22 Div II basketball conferences plus 20 independents totalling, I guess, around 200 schools. I believe that the quality of the programs is a continuum and that there is bound to be overlap among the weakest 50 Div I schools and the strongest 50 Div II programs. I do not think that the scholarship differences (13 vs. 10) create that big a gulf between I and II.

sagegrouse

JohnGalt
11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Here's a precise non-answer: There are 346 Div I basketball schools in 32 conferences. There are 22 Div II basketball conferences plus 20 independents totalling, I guess, around 200 schools. I believe that the quality of the programs is a continuum and that there is bound to be overlap among the weakest 50 Div I schools and the strongest 50 Div II programs. I do not think that the scholarship differences (13 vs. 10) create that big a gulf between I and II.

sagegrouse

Good post, Sage. I wonder too if many players would prefer to "play D-1" even if it's for a poorer-quality Coach in a poorer-quality program just for the glamour of "being a D-1 athlete?" I wonder if D-2 programs lose kids that would otherwise have fit very well into the program if not for the simple fact that it is a D-2 or even D-1AA program? I suppose that it's impossible to quantify, but I would imagine there are a multitude of quality, conscientious, and dedicated D-2 coaches running top-notch programs that would scare the bejesus out of a lot of lower-tier D-1 programs.

CEF1959
11-04-2010, 03:25 PM
I mean no disrespect to Coach Kamansky or his team (reigning national champs themselves) but this is pretty funny. Cal Poly Pomona against San Bernardino on CPP's "Pack the Gym Night" last spring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLK6tA8h93M

Duke: A Dynasty
11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Is there somewhere to listen or watch this game for free like last time?

snowdenscold
11-04-2010, 05:59 PM

On a similar note, if I sign up for Inside Access w/ Goduke.com, will they have ALL basketball games for the regular season online? I don't want to pay if they only have 'select' games or something.

Duvall
11-04-2010, 06:08 PM
On a similar note, if I sign up for Inside Access w/ Goduke.com, will they have ALL basketball games for the regular season online? I don't want to pay if they only have 'select' games or something.

No, only video for the games that aren't on TV, which is none of them after today.

meloveduke
11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
What time does the game start? Anyone know off an internet audio stream?

snowdenscold
11-04-2010, 06:27 PM
No, only video for the games that aren't on TV, which is none of them after today.

Thanks. So where would be the best place to view all the games this season? I don't have cable, but am willing to pay on a website, e.g. theacc.com or something.

riverside6
11-04-2010, 06:27 PM
you'll be able to check out live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=7164

Hurley2Hill
11-04-2010, 06:28 PM
What time does the game start? Anyone know off an internet audio stream?

Just listened to a bit of the pregame show, and the game starts at just after 7 PM. No idea about the stream, sorry. I'll be lurking here to keep up because I'm in class!

Duvall
11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks. So where would be the best place to view all the games this season? I don't have cable, but am willing to pay on a website, e.g. theacc.com or something.

ESPN3, if it's available. Should get you all but the Raycom games (which will be available through the Raycom site) and the CBS games (which will be available through cbssports.com), and the FSN games, which I don't think are online anywhere legally. You may have to hit a sports bar for those.

ajgoodfella7
11-04-2010, 06:34 PM

A lot of games are viewable from channelsurfing.net. I have seen quite a few games that I can't catch on TV there.

proelitedota
11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
If you have Xbox Live Gold, you can watch all ESPN3 sports for free on your Xbox. Another reason why the Xbox is so awesome, just like my PS3.

snowdenscold
11-04-2010, 06:52 PM
ESPN3, if it's available. Should get you all but the Raycom games (which will be available through the Raycom site) and the CBS games (which will be available through cbssports.com), and the FSN games, which I don't think are online anywhere legally. You may have to hit a sports bar for those.

I should be able to get ESPN3 - I think I've tried it once before since I moved and got FiOS.

I guess everything's covered then except tonight's game ;)

SCMatt33
11-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Here is a link to a list of Blue Devil radio station with links (http://radiotime.com/affiliate/a_37610/station/Duke_Blue_Devils_Radio_Stations.aspx). Several don't work or black out the game online but the link for WOHS 1390 in Shelby is working for me right now.

timmy c
11-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I am currently listening online at radiotime.com - weeb 990.
http://radiotime.com/station/s_28449/NewsTalk_990.aspx

Let's GO DUKE!

timmy c
11-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Singler, Smith, Mason, Miles, Irving...

blue post
11-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Here is a link to a list of Blue Devil radio station with links (http://radiotime.com/affiliate/a_37610/station/Duke_Blue_Devils_Radio_Stations.aspx). Several don't work or black out the game online but the link for WOHS 1390 in Shelby is working for me right now.

1390 is working for me too! Hopefully it lasts the whole game...sometimes they cut out when someone wises up to it.

meloveduke
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
why is it tied up? come on duke you know you guys can trump these guys.

SCMatt33
11-04-2010, 07:15 PM
1390 is working for me too! Hopefully it lasts the whole game...sometimes they cut out when someone wises up to it.

I doubt it. This is the same site on which Timmy C is listening to 990. I listened to the entire St. Aug's game there, so I would expect the same to happen this time.

kmmk
11-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the link. It's hard to know where to listen when you live in PA. So happy I can check out the action.
Kelly

I am currently listening online at radiotime.com - weeb 990.
http://radiotime.com/station/s_28449/NewsTalk_990.aspx

Let's GO DUKE!

AlaskanAssassin
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like K is subbing like every few minutes?

whereinthehellami
11-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Looks like Tyler is the only player to not get in yet?

timmy c
11-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like K is subbing like every few minutes?

agreed. hard to get a rhythm - but Coach needs everyone to be ready to go at a moments notice.

blue post
11-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Looks like Tyler is the only player to not get in yet?

Not yet. Seems like Coach K is giving Nolan some reps as the PG when Kyrie gets a breather. I'd like to see Tyler in there, as well as Seth at the point some.

Maybe because it is only a 10-14 point game, Coach K is going with more of the traditional and more senior lineups so far.

loran16
11-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Six Point lead at half? I know we're not playing our best players often, but this is really sad.

Duvall
11-04-2010, 07:52 PM
really sad.

Awfully melodramatic for an exhibition game.

Hurley2Hill
11-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Well, they are the 2010 D2 champs...I don't see us hanging 141 on them...maybe 100. LOL :cool:

Kedsy
11-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Six Point lead at half? I know we're not playing our best players often, but this is really sad.

Actually we are playing our best players: Kyle 19 first half minutes; Kyrie and Nolan, 15 minutes each; Mason, 13; Miles, 12; Seth, 9. Andre and Josh, only 6 minutes each; Ryan only 5; and Tyler hasn't played. (This from scACChoops).

loran16
11-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Awfully melodramatic for an exhibition game.

No, that would be: Only 6 points?! We're clearly overrated! The season is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Duke is usually at an advantage in early games because the team tends to be basically well prepared early on in the season, and is not the type of team that gets super better over the course of the season because they start near the top of their potential. Which is why I can't recall an exhibition win of less than 30 points.

A 6 point lead at half, even with not-serious subbing, is very very below what this team usually does, even without these expectations.

Hell we're being out-boarded. Now I we have less defensive board opportunities, but they're beating us in both d and o rebounding percentages. Not acceptable.

wgl1228
11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm watching on all access and the offense has looked awful and very erratic.

Greg_Newton
11-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I think this will be good for us in the long run. It will set the tone for a lot of preseason work - a little reality check to let the guys know they can't just necessarily show up and win by 100 every game.

That said, I'd be surprised if we don't open up a blistering run early in the second half and put this back at a comfortable margin.

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Dang we turning it over a lot. And CP is looking like a really good team, they've had some fun plays to watch. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the locker room. (Hell I'd love to be that fly for the season.)

FireOgilvie
11-04-2010, 08:01 PM
It looks like we're trying to do some new things on defense and offense and having a tough time. We're completely out of rhythm. Pomona is out-rebounding us right now 23-17 and they're MUCH smaller than we are. The Plumlees are having a lot of trouble staying with the smaller man when defending way out on the perimeter. It's ugly.

I expect we'll come out and go on a huge run, but parts of that first half were painful.

meloveduke
11-04-2010, 08:01 PM
I am thinking the team is going to be getting some treadmill time if they dont straighten up lol

DU82
11-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Dawkins probably wouldn't have played in the first half if Smith hadn't landed on his butt hard early in the half.

CalPoly is a vastly better coached team than St Augs. They're running plays, and know what they're doing. We're a little sloppy with passes, and they learned early what plays/passes we favor, and started cutting them off.

It looks to me that Miles and Mason, in particular, are overplaying the double team, and CalPoly's smart enough to take advantage. They also need to learn from the guy sitting in the end zone seats (Zoubek) to cut off the base line.

blue post
11-04-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm only listening to audio so I can't evaluate very well, but it seems like we are giving up a lot of points in the paint. I would be very disappointed if that were the case because we have so much more size than them. They really shouldn't be able to get layups against the Plumlees or Kelly.

That's what I will be focused on most coming out of the half. I want to hear some more blocks, more rebounds, and fewer Cal Poly layups. I don't care if they make this close by hitting jumpers and 3's...but it sounds like it is too easy right now.

proelitedota
11-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Lol Singler rickrolling people.

whereinthehellami
11-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Duke doesn't seem to be forcing alot of TOs and is struggling with their half court defense.

wgl1228
11-04-2010, 08:30 PM
A lot better in the second half. Cal has only scored 13 points so far.

AlaskanAssassin
11-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I wonder if K is trying to teach Ty a lesson or something. Kind of odd that he has yet to put him in the game, especially for an exhibition.

loran16
11-04-2010, 08:34 PM
So we require at least a 28 point lead before we put him in. Good to know.

(Also the team still is having issues rebounding. The D has tightened up considerably with a ton of steals, but there's no way they should be getting as many offensive boards).

freshmanjs
11-04-2010, 08:35 PM

(Also the team still is having issues rebounding. The D has tightened up considerably with a ton of steals, but there's no way they should be getting as many offensive boards).

why the sarcasm? are we already at the point where we start saying the coaches don't know what they're doing?

loran16
11-04-2010, 08:38 PM
why the sarcasm? are we already at the point where we start saying the coaches don't know what they're doing?

There's no sarcasm there. TT is almost certainly going to be the guy riding the bench in the games this year, only to be seen in large leads, foul trouble, or for tiny stints at a time.

I trust Coach to know which player has to be riding the pine, I just wish that we didn't have to treat this game as one in which we had to make that decision already.

Duvall
11-04-2010, 08:38 PM

For the love of...

There are ten scholarship athletes on Duke's roster. Nine of them played in the first half, and people are griping about the tenth. Note that Duke's starting point guard is *also* a freshman, and could use the work.

loran16
11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
For the love of...

There are ten scholarship athletes on Duke's roster. Nine of them played in the first half, and people are griping about the tenth. Note that Duke's starting point guard is *also* a freshman, and could use the work.

See above. I'm not griping. Someone has to ride the pine in K's style. And it works.

And Kelly fouls out...interesting.

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Ryan Kelly changed this game! Fouled out with 2 points and way more to be proud about.

timmy c
11-04-2010, 08:56 PM
It sounded like Duke got their act together during the 2nd half , but never really found a great rythm. Any thoughts from those who actually saw the game?

Lord Ash
11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Strange game. Honestly, Cal Poly felt pretty good for the first half, and I am not sure in a "grand" sense how good they are. Did we (and some luck on some of those interior shots) make them look better than they were?

Still wish the Plums were a little stronger with their hands, although they are great above the rim. Interior D will need some work.

Seth Curry is FAST. Very, very fast, and tricky. Will enjoy watching him this year.

Andre seemed to be forcing it a little bit.

Kyrie has GREAT body control... really good going right into the D.

Overall a strange-feeling game... not sure how much was Cal Poly playing well, Cal Poly getting lucky, and Duke playing ehhh.

proelitedota
11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
So...
13% from 3 and 60% from the FT.

We are not better than last year's team at the same respective point of the season imo.