PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Williams #1 womens recruit to Duke

mr shadow 008
11-02-2010, 08:36 PM
http://hamptonroads.com/2010/11/princess-anne-hoops-star-pick-duke-or-tennessee

Personally I think shes gonna go to tenn. She really wants to be a doctor and tenn is offering her a scholly to pay for medical school after she's done with her undergrad stuff

stillcrazie
11-02-2010, 08:40 PM
At least she's ruled out UNC!

Tappan Zee Devil
11-02-2010, 08:41 PM

tenn is offering her a scholly to pay for medical school after she's done with her undergrad stuff

Is that legal?

mr shadow 008
11-02-2010, 08:42 PM
she ruled out unc out last year. ive known coach dozier since i was very lil and he told me last year that she wasnt going to unc! haha

dukelifer
11-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Personally I think shes gonna go to tenn. She really wants to be a doctor and tenn is offering her a scholly to pay for medical school after she's done with her undergrad stuff
Really? How can Tenn offer her something extra? How is that different than giving her a new car? Something is not right.

mr shadow 008
11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
it is because she a straight a student in an IB program which is harder than ap classes. so they can offer it on grades

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2010, 08:51 PM
it is because she a straight a student in an IB program which is harder than ap classes. so they can offer it on grades
I would think they would need to have that discussion in her senior year. She still needs to complete an undergraduate program. This is interesting after Pat complained about Geno's recruiting. (That's the reason she quit the UCONN games, over Maya Moore's recruitment by UCONN and her trip to ESPN headquarters.)

mr shadow 008
11-02-2010, 08:53 PM
im just relaying the info that i was told today when i was up at princess anne.

Deslok
11-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I would also put in a rebuttal about the IB program being harder than AP. Not to open up a can of worms unrelated to the main subject of the thread, but its comparable, not harder(I currently teach IB Math SL for example, which is a touch easier than AP Calc AB).
So not seeing where that would matter(unless of course, Tennessee is willing to offer significantly more credit for the courses than Duke, which is possible).

Anyway, thanks for relaying the info and keeping us up to date.

1991 duke law
11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
While I cannot speak to what the NCCAA permits, I find it very peculiar that you can offer a four year scholarship for a BA/BSC and then a four year scholarship for medical school. For heaven's sake, she still has to get into medical school. And why would she necessarily want to do it at Tennessee?

SupaDave
11-02-2010, 11:09 PM
What a statement for women's basketball that noone has mentioned that she probably could go pro after her career at either one of the schools. I mean I know it's pennies on the dollar compared to NBA money - but it's a possibility. Just thought I'd put that out there...

flyingdutchdevil
11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Wow. Shelden's daughter grew up really really fast ;)

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2010, 11:30 PM
What a statement for women's basketball that noone has mentioned that she probably could go pro after her career at either one of the schools. I mean I know it's pennies on the dollar compared to NBA money - but it's a possibility. Just thought I'd put that out there...
It's more than a possibility, it's a given. But I have a huge amount of respect that the women focus on their careers after, while still playing. I've had the pleasure to meet a few of our past players at football games. Krysta Gingrich and Georgia Schweizer (no longer last named Schweizer) are both enjoying medical careers. And then I asked Alison Bales how med school was going (I knew she had been released by Atlanta) and she replied "well I'm playing overseas right now". So besides being literally small next to her (and I'm 6' 4") I felt small. Like you say...the money is there for them if they are playing, whether here or overseas..but it is also great to see them focus on the future, which I think they do very well and smartly.

flyingdutchdevil
11-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Like you say...the money is there for them if they are playing, whether here or overseas..but it is also great to see them focus on the future, which I think they do very well and smartly.

The money is absolutely peanuts for professional sports players. On average, an NBA player makes $5 mill. A WNBA player? $50,000. In 2006, Lisa Leslie, arguably the top WNBA player, was making $91,000! For future earnings, it doesn't make sense to leave college early for that money, especially when a college degree can vastly improve your future earnings beyond $50,000.

ice-9
11-03-2010, 12:25 AM
The money is absolutely peanuts for professional sports players. On average, an NBA player makes $5 mill. A WNBA player? $50,000. In 2006, Lisa Leslie, arguably the top WNBA player, was making $91,000! For future earnings, it doesn't make sense to leave college early for that money, especially when a college degree can vastly improve your future earnings beyond $50,000.

Becoming a doctor would do that!

Moreover, I imagine the lifestyle in the NBA/WNBA must be terrible with all that traveling.

CameronBornAndBred
11-03-2010, 12:56 AM
No argument..but who said anyone was leaving college early? I know what you are saying..if the guys leave early they have more dough waiting. But I was applauding the women not only for focusing on their future but for doing it really well. I'm sure there are players out there who don't make it happen, but focusing on the subject of this thread (Elizabeth Williams) and the academic effort the women put in versus the men, it's a pretty amazing difference. The women (I think) see their skills as a way to get to them into college and career beyond, and the men (I think) know their skills get them in, but focus little beyond. This obviously does not hold true at all schools..but look at the graduation rates (recently released) and see how they stack up for men's programs vs. womens. My assumption? The average female basketball player is going to be employing the average male basketball player someday.

DevilHorns
11-03-2010, 07:46 AM
While I cannot speak to what the NCCAA permits, I find it very peculiar that you can offer a four year scholarship for a BA/BSC and then a four year scholarship for medical school. For heaven's sake, she still has to get into medical school. And why would she necessarily want to do it at Tennessee?

I also cannot speak to the limitations of NCAA scholarships.

However, I do know that you can be admitted to medical school before even setting foot in college. There are numerous 6-7 year combined undergrad/medical school programs out there that simply judge admission based on high school credentials (no MCAT, no college GPA requirement, etc).

uh_no
11-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I would think they would need to have that discussion in her senior year. She still needs to complete an undergraduate program. This is interesting after Pat complained about Geno's recruiting. (That's the reason she quit the UCONN games, over Maya Moore's recruitment by UCONN and her trip to ESPN headquarters.)

while the uconn trip was obviously out of line, it was only a small part of pat's gripe. More to do with it was the fact that geno was recruiting out of 'her' territory, maya is from missouri, and should have been pat's for the picking, but geno scoped her out, the whole ESPN thing happened (whether it substantially affected her decision is questionable) and it all upset pat...Geno had traditionally gotten players from the NE and from out west, so it was a bit sketch to be getting someone form the south.

If the ESPN thing had happened to a recruit who was from cali or NE, Pat may have had less of a gripe.

from what I read, pat had wanted to end the series for a couple years at that time, and she was waiting for a 2 things: an excuse, and to go out on top, which she did

juelsr
11-03-2010, 12:51 PM
while the uconn trip was obviously out of line, it was only a small part of pat's gripe. More to do with it was the fact that geno was recruiting out of 'her' territory, maya is from missouri, and should have been pat's for the picking, but geno scoped her out, the whole ESPN thing happened (whether it substantially affected her decision is questionable)

While Moore was born in Missouri- she actually attended high school in the Atlanta area... Still probably considered Pat's area though

SCMatt33
11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Is that legal?

I don't think that it would be legal for Tennessee to pay all of her expenses, but there is a rule that provides for part of a scholarship after graduation. I have no idea what Tennessee has promised her, but this could be it.

16.1.4.1.1 Senior Scholar-Athlete Award. An institution may provide a maximum of two senior scholar-athlete awards each year to graduating seniors. The award may consist of a tangible item valued at not more than $175 and a postgraduate scholarship not to exceed $10,000. The postgraduate scholarship shall be used for graduate studies at the recipient’s choice of institution and shall be disbursed directly to that institution. Such a scholarship only may be awarded to a student-athlete who has completed the
requirements for a baccalaureate degree. A student-athlete who has received an institutional postgraduate scholarship as part of a senior scholar-athlete award shall no longer be eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics, except that the student may complete the remainder of any season currently in progress at the time of the award (e.g., postseason competition in the spring sport that occurs after graduation). (Adopted: 4/25/02, Revised: 6/1/06, 1/14/08)

This is also mentioned in a separate rule as an exemption that won't count towards a team's scholly count.

CameronBornAndBred
11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
While Moore was born in Missouri- she actually attended high school in the Atlanta area... Still probably considered Pat's area though
I've never heard of coaches having territory. If a player grows up under the shadow of one program, and then goes to another in a different part of the country, does it reflect worse on the recruiting efforts of the locals or say more for the recruiting efforts of the winners? I honestly don't know the answer to that question, but it sounds sour grapish on Summit's part.

uh_no
11-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I've never heard of coaches having territory. If a player grows up under the shadow of one program, and then goes to another in a different part of the country, does it reflect worse on the recruiting efforts of the locals or say more for the recruiting efforts of the winners? I honestly don't know the answer to that question, but it sounds sour grapish on Summit's part.

Well....seeing as I'm 100% biased, of course I see it that way....

but I think territory might be unique to those two programs just because they've absolutely dominated the game for so long....now maybe geno used some sketchy techniques pat didn't like? like swiping in on moore after she was about ready to commit to tenn? could have happened....its possible there's things that they never told anyone...there is a lot in their relationship they don't share with the public....

the fact remains that recruiting backstabbing happens all the time in the mens game.....

i do think that pat is petty sometimes in general....just the way she takes such high offense to geno's jabs....it's just the way he is....he said about his PG last year "She's small, but at least she's slow".....cept pat takes offense when he makes jokes about her.....w/e

i'm biased

haters gonna hate

that said....hope liz williams comes to duke and adds another williams to the rafters

1991 duke law
11-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I also cannot speak to the limitations of NCAA scholarships.

However, I do know that you can be admitted to medical school before even setting foot in college. There are numerous 6-7 year combined undergrad/medical school programs out there that simply judge admission based on high school credentials (no MCAT, no college GPA requirement, etc).

Interesting, I did not know that. It does not work that way in Canada. Do any good medical schools in the US function that way?

Class of '94
11-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Interesting, I did not know that. It does not work that way in Canada. Do any good medical schools in the US function that way?

Not to get this thread off topic, but my sister-in law went to Brown University with the guarantee of being accepted into their medical school straight out of HS. That was one of the reasons that she chose to go to Brown as an undergraduate.

But I still think Duke has a strong recruiting pitch based on the fact that Duke's medical school, I believe, is higher rated than Tenn's.

JasonEvans
11-03-2010, 02:56 PM
But I still think Duke has a strong recruiting pitch based on the fact that Duke's medical school, I believe, is higher rated than Tenn's.

Ummm- ya think?

According to US News and World Report's rankings, Duke has the #6 Medical School in the country. Tennessee is #76.

-Jason "if academics matters, Duke wins against almost every other college basketball power" Evans

Bluedog
11-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Note that most of these require an undergraduate GPA to be maintained in your undergraduate years and a certain MCAT score. So, it's NOT 100% guaranteed from high school. Tufts, for instance, requires a minimum 3.5 GPA for undergrad years. Case requires 3.6 and 32 MCAT. These programs are also very competitive to get into, but they do in fact ensure admission to the med school to a high school applicant provided you meet all their criteria later on as well.

Rice/Baylor, Case Western Reserve and Brown PLME are the three best that I know of that are full 8-year programs. Northwestern HPME has an accelerated 7-year program. USC, UCLA, BU, USCD also have them. Tennessee does NOT have this program.

Also, apparently a similar program is available in Canada at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia based on certain reports, although I can't find an official link right now.

sagegrouse
11-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Not to get this thread off topic, but my sister-in law went to Brown University with the guarantee of being accepted into their medical school straight out of HS. That was one of the reasons that she chose to go to Brown as an undergraduate.

There are a few combined programs for undergrad and med school. RPI had one at one time. But you gotta believe there are performance gates and hurdles for those admitted to a combined program.

FWIW, Duke has had immense success in its students getting admitted to med school. Here's a quote from Quick Facts (http://admissions.duke.edu/jump/pdf/Quick_Facts.pdf) About Duke University:

"Acceptance to Graduate School: More than 95% acceptance rate to law and business schools; 85% acceptance rate to medical school; more than 90% acceptance rate to dentistry, veterinary, and
pharmacy schools."
sagegrouse

Class of '94
11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Ummm- ya think?

According to US News and World Report's rankings, Duke has the #6 Medical School in the country. Tennessee is #76.

-Jason "if academics matters, Duke wins against almost every other college basketball power" Evans

What can I say? I didn't want to come across as being too presumptuous or spreading a rumor without researching it and providing a link although I did have a very strong suspicion that our medical school was ranked significantly higher than Tenn's....:) I have to admit that I didn't realize the margin between the 2 schools was that great. If Med school is the main driving force, we should be hearing her announce her decision to attend Duke IMO.....

DevilHorns
11-03-2010, 03:25 PM

The most reputable medical school that provides a combined program that I know of is Northwestern or perhaps UCLA. Many schools as you can see try and lure strong high school students with guaranteed enrollment to medical school. The thing is, enrolling in a combined program that is accelerated (6-7 years) means either zero or almost zero liberal arts education. It means the first 2-3 years of your college career is almost entirely pre-medical curriculum, and an intense one at that since you have less time to spread out difficult courses like cell biology, biochemistry, physics, and organic chemistry. Little room for what makes college so great, IMO, which is the diversity of classes, opportunities, and people that you have time for.

As a current medical student (and one who did have the option of enrolling in a 6-year combined program at the University of Miami), I can honestly say that the I remember feeling that lure of guaranteed medical school and being torn by the decision. What I realized was that most of the high school students offered a combined program admission are almost undoubtedly guaranteed to perform well enough in college to easily get into a strong medical school. And why speed up 1-2 years of your life to become a doctor? College is great generally, and at Duke undergrad, it's unmatched.

There are also other lures that other undergraduate schools provide. Washington University in St. Louis (easily one of the most reputable medical training institutions and hospital systems the U.S. has to offer) promises an automatic enrollment into their medical school if one attends WashU for undergrad and hits a 37 on the MCAT. Talk about a sweet deal if you're from the midwest.

Turtleboy
11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
The money is absolutely peanuts for professional sports players. On average, an NBA player makes $5 mill. A WNBA player? $50,000. In 2006, Lisa Leslie, arguably the top WNBA player, was making $91,000! For future earnings, it doesn't make sense to leave college early for that money, especially when a college degree can vastly improve your future earnings beyond $50,000.The good players can make as much as ten timed their WNBA salaries by playing overseas as well, which with a 34 game WNBA schedule is easy to do.

Is this the "new world order" the first President Bush described after the fall of communism? Bird, born and raised on Long Island, played under an Israeli passport this winter for a team in suburban Moscow where she earned almost four times her $93,000 annual salary with the WNBA. Taurasi, who grew up in California, played under an Italian passport and earned roughly 10 times as much as the $49,000 her WNBA Phoenix Mercury will pay her this season.

Link. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=rollinginrubles)

mr shadow 008
11-03-2010, 04:11 PM
From what i have heard out of PAHS this story that has been printed by the virginian pilot is a story Neither dozier nor elizabeth will commment on it so as of now i do not know that those are her two choices but i will say that when i have talked to coach dozier he has said that duke and tenn were both at the top of her list. as for the the part about her scholarship to medical school this is what i have heard from PAHS athletic director

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Duke does have offer something unique for athletes who want to become physicians. It's the Bassett Society named for the late Dr. Frank Bassett who began informal mentoring of football players who wanted to become physicians. This effort grew and expanded over the years until athletes in all sports may benefit from the mentoring while undergraduates and the follow up reunions which include opportunities to update knowledge in many areas of medicine while back on campus, generally on a football weekend. To my knowledge this society and its purpose remain unique to Duke.

Orange&BlackSheep
11-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Duke does have offer something unique for athletes who want to become physicians. It's the Bassett Society named for the late Dr. Frank Bassett who began informal mentoring of football players who wanted to become physicians. This effort grew and expanded over the years until athletes in all sports may benefit from the mentoring while undergraduates and the follow up reunions which include opportunities to update knowledge in many areas of medicine while back on campus, generally on a football weekend. To my knowledge this society and its purpose remain unique to Duke.

One of my good friend's job at Princeton is pre-med counselor to the ... [wait for it] ... women's basketball team.

Of course it is called the Beagle Society not Bassett Society, but that is a different discussion ;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-03-2010, 08:10 PM
One of my good friend's job at Princeton is pre-med counselor to the ... [wait for it] ... women's basketball team.

Of course it is called the Beagle Society not Bassett Society, but that is a different discussion ;)
The Bassett Society is not a premed counseling program. It arose from the team physician mentoring football players. This article explains more about the Bassett Society.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=826808

DukeBlueNikeShox
11-03-2010, 08:31 PM

Easy Credit University Medical School in Greenville does...

1991 duke law
11-03-2010, 09:08 PM
The most reputable medical school that provides a combined program that I know of is Northwestern or perhaps UCLA. Many schools as you can see try and lure strong high school students with guaranteed enrollment to medical school. The thing is, enrolling in a combined program that is accelerated (6-7 years) means either zero or almost zero liberal arts education. It means the first 2-3 years of your college career is almost entirely pre-medical curriculum, and an intense one at that since you have less time to spread out difficult courses like cell biology, biochemistry, physics, and organic chemistry. Little room for what makes college so great, IMO, which is the diversity of classes, opportunities, and people that you have time for.

As a current medical student (and one who did have the option of enrolling in a 6-year combined program at the University of Miami), I can honestly say that the I remember feeling that lure of guaranteed medical school and being torn by the decision. What I realized was that most of the high school students offered a combined program admission are almost undoubtedly guaranteed to perform well enough in college to easily get into a strong medical school. And why speed up 1-2 years of your life to become a doctor? College is great generally, and at Duke undergrad, it's unmatched.

There are also other lures that other undergraduate schools provide. Washington University in St. Louis (easily one of the most reputable medical training institutions and hospital systems the U.S. has to offer) promises an automatic enrollment into their medical school if one attends WashU for undergrad and hits a 37 on the MCAT. Talk about a sweet deal if you're from the midwest.

All very interesting and something which i was entirely unaware. Thanks for the information.

johnb
11-04-2010, 12:03 AM

If this is true, it implies to me that wash u isn't as selective as I'd thought (ie, if all it cares about are excellent mcats, then it is simply not as selective as other top 30 schools).

BD80
11-04-2010, 10:53 AM
If this is true, it implies to me that wash u isn't as selective as I'd thought (ie, if all it cares about are excellent mcats, then it is simply not as selective as other top 30 schools).

I believe that only applies for a very select group of applicants

Farn
11-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Looks like she'll decide Tuesday

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/news/_/id/67443/elizabeth-williams

mr shadow 008
11-07-2010, 12:18 AM
so apparently my mom knows where elizabeth will pick tuesday but she will not tell me where she is going, i am gonna try to go to press conference on tuesday and will let yall know as soon as she picks

JasonEvans
11-08-2010, 10:03 PM
According to a Tennessee blog (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/nov/08/williams-expected-pick-duke/), we will be getting some very good news tomorrow!!!

Obviously, nothing is official until EW makes her announcement. Still, the signs are good! This would be a big, big deal for Duke Women's Hoops!

--Jason "your bearer of good news!!" Evans

BD80
11-08-2010, 10:20 PM
According to a Tennessee blog (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/nov/08/williams-expected-pick-duke/), we will be getting some very good news tomorrow!!!

Obviously, nothing is official until EW makes her announcement. Still, the signs are good! This would be a big, big deal for Duke Women's Hoops!

Your pitchfork count SHOULD go up if you are right!

I REALLY want the ladies to end geno's string!

-bdbd
11-08-2010, 11:39 PM

That brief article sure sounds promising. And Wow! After the tremendous Frosh class this year, and very solid group aleady in place for the '11 class, this is shaping up as an elite team for the next few years... The type that gets discussed with the likes of UCONN, Tenn, Stanford, et al for annual Final 4 expectations. Go get em Lady Devils!

P.S. 'was also impressed by the fairly classy responses in the comments below the article by the Tenn. fans. Nice, respectful things said about Duke.

-[B]BD "You'd never see that kind of response on a UK or Terp board" BD :rolleyes::(

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Crossing fingers. I'd love to see Coach P continue to bring in the talent, her and her staff have done a great job. Wasn't it just 2 years ago the complaints were she didn't focus on recruiting? (I do believe I did some of that complaining)

mr shadow 008
11-09-2010, 12:42 AM
obviously as a duke fan i want her to go to duke and it would be huge too with amber henson coming too thats two 6'4 girls in the middle and the thing about elizabeth when they lost in state championship last year she has said that she wants to work on her perimeter game too

Sixthman
11-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Crossing fingers. I'd love to see Coach P continue to bring in the talent, her and her staff have done a great job. Wasn't it just 2 years ago the complaints were she didn't focus on recruiting? (I do believe I did some of that complaining)

The complaint I remember was that she didn't like to recruit and that she was not familiar with casting a nationwide net in recruiting. What a difference a couple of years make.

CameronBornAndBred
11-09-2010, 08:10 AM
The complaint I remember was that she didn't like to recruit and that she was not familiar with casting a nationwide net in recruiting. What a difference a couple of years make.
One of the best moves P made was bringing in Trisha Stafford-Odom.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22761&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3745300&Q_SEASON=2010
She was a recruiting machine at UCLA, and she continues her excellence at Duke.

jimsumner
11-09-2010, 09:26 AM
One Tennessee source is reporting Williams to Duke.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/nov/08/no-2-recruit-picks-duke-lady-vols-were-mix/

Lid
11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
One Tennessee source is reporting Williams to Duke.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/nov/08/no-2-recruit-picks-duke-lady-vols-were-mix/
Although most of the comments after that article are good-natured, one is kind of unfortunate and gave me a chuckle this morning:

No knock on Williams, but she is choosing acedemics over basketball which tells me her heart would not be in the Lady Vol mold anyway.

I hope the reports are true, and if so, welcome to Duke, Elizabeth! We'll look forward to watching you.

PSurprise
11-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Although most of the comments after that article are good-natured, one is kind of unfortunate and gave me a chuckle this morning:

I hope the reports are true, and if so, welcome to Duke, Elizabeth! We'll look forward to watching you.

Yeah, that would mean that she would be an actual "student-athlete", and we wouldn't want that at our universities, would we?? :p

CameronBornAndBred
11-09-2010, 10:02 AM

I like that quote too, but I disagree with it. At Tennessee she would be choosing basketball over academics, at Duke she would be choosing both.

chrishoke
11-09-2010, 01:25 PM
She may change her mind now that tailgate has been eliminated.:)

TheGame3131
11-09-2010, 01:27 PM
The Virginian Pilot is reporting she chose Duke

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/11/princess-anne-star-elizabeth-williams-go-duke?cid=ltst

chrishoke
11-09-2010, 01:29 PM
It's official. Welcome Elizabeth!

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/1...o-duke?cid=ltst

JasonEvans
11-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Here is a truly excellent analysis of what Williams means to Duke from the wonderful writers at DWHoops.com

http://www.dwhoops.com/Duke/1011090-Elizabeth-Williams-Recruit-2011.php

She may well be the most important recruit of the McCallie era at Duke. With Krystal Thomas graduating this season, the Devils had an Elizabeth Williams-shaped hole in the roster.

--Jason "McCallie's tenure began tough, but has really turned nicely" Evans

dukelifer
11-09-2010, 02:49 PM
What a difference recruiting from Duke makes.

CEF1959
11-09-2010, 02:50 PM
obviously as a duke fan i want her to go to duke and it would be huge too with amber henson coming too thats two 6'4 girls in the middle and the thing about elizabeth when they lost in state championship last year she has said that she wants to work on her perimeter game too

There may be something to read in posts like this, but without punctuation, grammar, or capitalization, it's lost on me.

Dude, where were you educated?

CameronBornAndBred
11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Welcome to Duke Elizabeth!!

-bdbd
11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Welcome to Duke Elizabeth!!!

We're just thrilled to have you with the Lady Devils. I hope that you thoroughly enjoy your college experience in Durham. You will clearly be a part of some amazing BB teams. Warmest of greetings to you.

:D :D :D

JasonEvans
11-09-2010, 03:15 PM
ESPN chimes in with an excellent article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/womens/news/story?id=5784336) on the rise of the Blue Devil women's program.

The addition of Williams, the No. 2 prospect in the class, will solidify another deep-tournament player for years to come. Joanne P. McCallie and staff inked the top signing class in 2010 but those players are freshmen and while their impact is imminent it may not be immediate. Adding back-to-back stellar classes with leaders where the team needs it and depth on the roster gives Duke a chance to be on the level with current powers Baylor, Connecticut, Stanford and Tennessee.

--Jason "niiice!" Evans

CEF1959
11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Niiice indeed. And we heard about this commitment from Jason yesterday first. Kudos on a good scoop.

Devil07
11-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Terrific news! As numerous people on the board have discussed, it really does seem that the pool of elite talent in the women's game is significantly smaller than in men's basketball, thereby leading to the dominance of the sport by a relatively small number of programs. It's great to see Coach P stringing together two incredibly accomplished classes and placing Duke talent-wise in the upper echelon of women's programs. Without the threat of players leaving early, these two classes can really help give Duke a string of sustained excellence. Getting top-level talent is just so vital, and although the recent recruiting has certainly raised expectation levels, I look forward to seeing what Coach P can do with all these elite players.

Kedsy
11-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Wonderful news. Welcome, Elizabeth.

It's great that P has been able to silence the naysayers.

killerleft
11-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Yow, what a get! I really look forward to what Coach P can do with players she recruited. Players who know what to expect and what's expected of them from the get-go.

Welcome, Ms. Williams!

Gargoyle
11-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Here is an in-depth interview that HoopGurlz had with EW in which she discusses why she chose Duke over TN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/womens/news/story?id=5784436

watzone
11-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Elizabeth shared her thoughts on her decision with me yesterday. http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/elizabeth-williams-is-happy-to-be-a-duke-blue-devil/

She's a big time product and the interview allows you to get to know her.

roywhite
06-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Elizabeth Williams, incoming basketball recruit, continues to impress, with her selection to the USA U-19 team (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205157429&DB_OEM_ID=4200) that will compete this July.

Prior to announcing the squad that are the three-time defending champions at the FIBA U19 World Championship, the USA finalists downed the Brazil U19 National Team, 49-37, in an exhibition contest. In the game, Williams netted a team-high 15 points, six rebounds, five blocks, two assists and one steal in 25 minutes.

Rising star?

uh_no
06-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Elizabeth Williams, incoming basketball recruit, continues to impress, with her selection to the USA U-19 team (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205157429&DB_OEM_ID=4200) that will compete this July.

Rising star?

It simply confirmed here status as one of the top recruits in the country.

dukelifer
06-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Rising star?

She is a star and will be a dominant ACC player from day 1. She has great hands and great timing.

roywhite
06-07-2011, 12:21 PM
She is a star and will be a dominant ACC player from day 1. She has great hands and great timing.

That sounds right from what I've seen.

Honestly, her game reminds me a bit of Elton Brand. As you say, great hands, good size and strength, nice touch, can score in traffic, also rebound and block shots.

Looking forward to seeing the progress of Coach P's program over the next few years.

BD80
06-07-2011, 02:15 PM
That sounds right from what I've seen.

Honestly, her game reminds me a bit of Elton Brand. As you say, great hands, good size and strength, nice touch, can score in traffic, also rebound and block shots.

Looking forward to seeing the progress of Coach P's program over the next few years.

Another reason to love the women's game, we get an inside player who will dominate from day one and we don't have to worry about her being a "one-and-done."

CameronBornAndBred
06-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Another reason to love the women's game, we get an inside player who will dominate from day one and we don't have to worry about her being a "one-and-done."
I just hope she can hit a layup. ;)
Honestly, we lost a lot inside last year with Krystal Thomas graduating. So if she can make her presence known AND score..I'll be very happy. We haven't had a consistent inside scoring option for some time. We've had lots of bodies, but it's that problematic constistency! She is a little shorter than KT, but if she can shoot a layup it won't matter. I'm very much looking forward to seeing her and Amber Henson play.

roywhite
07-31-2011, 11:35 PM
USA Defends World Championship in Style (http://www.chile2011.fiba.com//pages/eng/fe/11/fu19w/p/eid/5201/gid/A/grid/62/rid/8484/sid/5201/game.html)

Elizabeth Williams scored 15 points to help pace the USA U-19 team to a gold medal win over Spain.

It was a consummate team performance from the Americas champions, who have now won two U19, one U17 and a senior women's world championship in the past 24 months.

Coach Jennifer Rizzotti was delighted with their performance. "Obviously we are ecstatic with the win and very proud of my girls for how much they have had to come along to be this good," she said. "We kind of had to figure ourselves out, but it's always nice when you are playing your best basketball at the end of the tournament."

Congrats to Elizabeth. Look forward to seeing her play for Duke.