PDA

View Full Version : big east to expand

uh_no
11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

so they will need to add 1 more football team (after villanova becomes a full member)....mentioned a couple teams in the article.....but how does this affect bball? would they take someone like ecu in just football? i'm not sure I can see a 17 team bbball league....they'd have to then have it just with 1 home and away....hell why don't they just make it a 19 team league play each team once?

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
ECU does have a basketball program..both men's (coached by Jeff Lebo) and women's. And they have basketball guy Terry Holland as their AD. He hasn't been successful with his basketball hires, and I'm not sure how much support the rest of the university gives the programs, but I doubt he'd give it up just to join the Big East for football only. It wouldn't surprise me if they get fan and booster support for the move, but it would surprise me if they forsake baskteball for the opportunity.
Could they play independently in basketball? If they can do that...then it would make more sense, but for now C-USA is a good fit.

Namtilal
11-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I hate to say this, but wouldn't Maryland be a great fit in football? A major university that would be competitive without dominating the conference. And would strengthen the basketball conference (even though the article says they don't want to increase any league other than football).

I'd hate to see Maryland go, but if the Big East is desperate, who knows how much money they'll offer to keep their BCS membership.

uh_no
11-02-2010, 11:06 PM
I'd hate to see Maryland go, but if the Big East is desperate, who knows how much money they'll offer to keep their BCS membership.

Maybe I missed something, but where are they in danger of losing their BCS membership? they have the requried teams, and when villanova joins, they will could eat the loss of one team.....and do you honestly think maryland is going anywhere?