PDA

View Full Version : Observations from the Coaching Clinic

whereinthehellami
11-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Here is a link to a thread (http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=149599861&mid=149599861&sid=1021&style=2)on the Devils Den from a guy who attended the Duke Coaching Clinic. The guy has some nice notes from the event.

BD80
11-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Great thread over there!

There's a picture of Coach Wojo handling the ball just outside the lane down low with his hip into the defender - nice to know he can still demonstrate some skills!

4decadedukie
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
This post provides a simply terrific link that everyone should read. THANK YOU whereinthehellami for making it available. Among the excellent information and the great news regarding Duke's 10-11 season, there is an exceptionally disturbing report concerning the extent of Jon Scheyer's eye injury. I know that MANY of us hold Jon in the highest possible esteem, more critically as a superb person and leader than as a Duke basketball star, per se. I am deeply troubled by his misfortune; however, I am very confident that with his demonstrated attitude, ethics and values, he will succeed wonderfully, despite this injury. I also am certain that MANY Dukies will be there for Jon, to assist in whatever arenas he may wish to pursue.

watzone
11-03-2010, 01:27 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/insights-from-the-2010-duke-coaches-clinic/ Here is an extremely informative article which goes into Duke's philosophies and some individual player tidbits. Well worth your time to read ...

CEF1959
11-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Link posted elsewhere, but I think it deserves its own thread. Very nicely detailed report here on a recent public practice:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/insights-from-the-2010-duke-coaches-clinic/

Note the repeated references to defense.

Kedsy
11-03-2010, 01:47 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/insights-from-the-2010-duke-coaches-clinic/ Here is an extremely informative article which goes into Duke's philosophies and some individual player tidbits. Well worth your time to read ...

Great article. Thanks, Mark. I was especially encouraged that Mason looked so good on defense and that Ryan and Andre are the most improved. Although it sounds like Ryan still needs some work on the defensive end. On the other hand, I found it promising that Ryan is sometimes included in the "last five minutes" lineup, so he must be showing something.

It's interesting that K is already publicly predicting defensive lapses due to the team thinking they can just outscore their opponent. My recollection is this sometimes (often?) occurred in 2002. By K saying it out loud, hopefully the team will feel obligated to keep it from happening this season.

EDIT: I also loved the description of the drill where guys are trying to finish at the rim while being whacked with a foam pad. What a great idea.

flyingdutchdevil
11-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Great article. Thanks, Mark. I was especially encouraged that Mason looked so good on defense and that Ryan and Andre are the most improved. Although it sounds like Ryan still needs some work on the defensive end. On the other hand, I found it promising that Ryan is sometimes included in the "last five minutes" lineup, so he must be showing something.

It's interesting that K is already publicly predicting defensive lapses due to the team thinking they can just outscore their opponent. My recollection is this sometimes (often?) occurred in 2002. By K saying it out loud, hopefully the team will feel obligated to keep it from happening this season.

Second that. Thanks Mark. Really interesting stuff.

Happy to hear that the big men are progressing very well. Also, the update on Dawkin's Redick-like stamina is always good to hear!

watzone
11-03-2010, 02:01 PM
The article was penned by Terry Rains, one of our staff members. I'm glad some of you are enjoying it. We had a few members attend the clinic which is always the best opportunity in the world to get a real view of the program in close proximity. I learned a ton as a coach and more on the team I cover. Anyhow, Terry's article is solid in every way and well worth a read if you're a Blue Devils fan.

camion
11-03-2010, 02:27 PM
For me the most surprising tidbit from Terry's article was:

• Between drills, the team was often instructed to run suicide-like drills down the court and back. Andre Dawkins won every single sprint the entire day.

timmy c
11-03-2010, 02:47 PM
EDIT: I also loved the description of the drill where guys are trying to finish at the rim while being whacked with a foam pad. What a great idea.

I think they should introduce this drill in other areas of life. Imagine trying to vote, write a blog post, or order drive-thru while being whacked by a foam pad. That would be sweet!

BD80
11-03-2010, 02:49 PM
... I found it promising that Ryan is sometimes included in the "last five minutes" lineup, so he must be showing something. ...

But Miles is NOT in the last 5 min lineup; nor is Tyler, but Mason is. Mason was a 54.3% free-throw shooter while Miles was 66.1%. Both averaged about 2.6 TO per 40 min. Mason had a slightly better A/TO ratio.

Something tells me Coach K is in tall cotton right now (take that ol' roy). He has all the pieces that he could ever want and a group of VERY talented players that must battle in practice to earn playing time. I see a VERY steep learning curve over the next several weeks as the younger players learn how to play for Coach K, the older players learn to be leaders, and all of the players learn to play the new up-tempo style that Coach K will install. But good golly is this going to be a fun year.

jipops
11-03-2010, 03:10 PM

My perception was that it happened more than often in 2002. We were not a good defensive team that year but we were also more undersized than this year's squad.

Poincaré
11-03-2010, 03:50 PM
As great as that was, that last bit about Jon almost going blind in one eye really got me down. He may never get his complete sight back? Sounds like things are more serious than we were led to believe. That was pretty depressing to read. Really hope that he makes a complete recovery.

Poincaré
11-03-2010, 03:56 PM
On the bright side, I now have a new signature. (Stolen from one of the links)
--
“Some players naturally have ‘the dog’, and some players need to learn ‘the dog.’” – Nate James

Kedsy
11-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I think they should introduce this drill in other areas of life. Imagine trying to vote, write a blog post, or order drive-thru while being whacked by a foam pad. That would be sweet!

Love it. This could be a subject of the next Duke improv video.

watzone
11-03-2010, 08:22 PM
For me the most surprising tidbit from Terry's article was:

• Between drills, the team was often instructed to run suicide-like drills down the court and back. Andre Dawkins won every single sprint the entire day.

Coach K weould select a player every so often and he'd have to drain two free throws or the entire team would run a full court sprint and yes, Dawkins won every single time but keep in mind this was without the ball.