PDA

View Full Version : Deng scores 40 - and I don't care

georg004
11-02-2010, 01:27 AM
So Luol Deng scores 40 against the Blazers. I have never, ever regarded him as a Duke product.

The way he left Duke still angers me. Comes into Duke, he and his family all "we are so excited about the education, what an opportunity to come to Duke, all we care about is education..."

1 year later, he and his family goes nuts about NBA bucks.

He shoulda gone to KY. He disgusts me, almost as much as his family does. He is a shame to Duke and a disgrace.

proelitedota
11-02-2010, 01:31 AM
So Luol Deng scores 40 against the Blazers. I have never, ever regarded him as a Duke product.

The way he left Duke still angers me. Comes into Duke, he and his family all "we are so excited about the education, what an opportunity to come to Duke, all we care about is education..."

He shoulda gone to KY. He disgusts me, almost as much as his family does. He is a shame to Duke and a disgrace.

Hmm. Overreaction much? Luol Deng made plenty of contributions to the Duke team while he was there. Whether or not a player decides to leave for the NBA is his choice.

juise
11-02-2010, 01:39 AM
I was a senior when Luol was a freshman and I was disappointed to see him go. However, I absolutely cheer for him and consider him part of the Duke family, as I know the Duke staff does as well. I feel like your comments about Luol are judgmental and petty. We've had this discussion here 1000 times. His opportunity for education will be available for a long time. The opportunity to build wealth that could pay for his grandkids' college educations may not have been had disaster struck during a subsequent year at Duke.

If Mike Dunleavy Jr. had enough reason to leave early, despite accepting a captain's role on the '02-'03 squad, then it's not hard to imagine how someone with Luol's adverse could make a similar choice. I hope he finishes his degree at Duke some day and I would be proud to call him a fellow alumnus.

BattierD12
11-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Unlike Maggette, Deng's one-and-done decision is perfectly fine by me. He had family in Sudan, and he wanted the money to help them out. He's become of the biggest humanitarians in the NBA, and there was an article last year where Obama talked about Deng being his favorite NBA player because of these contributions to Sudan. I'm glad he's a representative of Duke. Also remember that this was before the one-year college rule was implemented and he was the #2 player in the country behind LeBron. Let's be happy he chose to come to Duke for a year and help us get to a Final 4.

duke09hms
11-02-2010, 01:45 AM

DISLIKE

What is your problem? This kid caused no problems while he was here (we probably dont go to the final four without him), played his heart out while he did, and did well in school. He surely "unpacked" his bags. Try looking at it from his point of view - coming from extreme poverty in the war-torn Sudan.

Do you feel this way about all one-and-dones? Are you going to hate on Kyrie and Austin if they leave after 1 year? Valuing education and leaving college early as a guaranteed lottery pick are hardly mutually exclusive.

Ugh man, this whole thread should be deleted. With your ridiculous vindictive attitude, Deng and his family are much more part of the Duke family than you will ever be.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-02-2010, 01:56 AM

Let's not dignify this with further comment. Embarrassed to see a thread like this on the boards.

Taco
11-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Calm down, there's no way this guy isn't a troll. What a ridiculous opinion.
Luol broke my heart when he left because I wasn't really expecting it and I loved seeing him in a Duke uniform, but he's still a Duke guy and a great person to have attached to our program.

Poincaré
11-02-2010, 02:08 AM
In case you weren't aware, Luol is from the war-torn nation of Sudan. He and his family became refugees to escape one of many Sudanese civil wars. By all accounts, he is a very nice and thoughtful young man. Coach K was not against Luol leaving. He was a high draft pick.

Put yourself in his shoes for a second. You might change your mind. If you can't, well..., others can probably say it better than I can. Calm down.

ice-9
11-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Calm down, there's no way this guy isn't a troll. What a ridiculous opinion.
Luol broke my heart when he left because I wasn't really expecting it and I loved seeing him in a Duke uniform, but he's still a Duke guy and a great person to have attached to our program.

It's the OP's tone that also took me quite aback:

"He disgusts me, almost as much as his family does. He is a shame to Duke and a disgrace."

Strong words.

I also give it a big thumbs down.

quota
11-02-2010, 02:44 AM
I'll never understand these kinds of posts. Can you honestly tell me if you were guaranteed several million per year after your freshman year of college you wouldn't take it?

C'mon...

SeattleIrish
11-02-2010, 03:08 AM
So grateful to see not one post of agreement.

I'm guessing this was a "heat of the moment" post and one that can be retracted with a modicum of grace...

s.i.

_TheFakeJWill_
11-02-2010, 04:26 AM
though i dont agree with the OP eveyones entitled to their own opinion. This one just came across a little harsh.

Kdogg
11-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Some times in life you do what you have to do, not what you want to do. It is hard for some westerners to realize that certain decisions go beyond the individual.

By all accounts Deng wanted to stay at Duke. That's why he orginally scheduled his workouts on campus. He comes from a background where family trumps personal wishes. After all he went through don't you think he relished being a college kid?

I'm proud of him and he is and always will be a Dukie.

4decadedukie
11-02-2010, 06:56 AM
I am probably as committed to the "educational side" of the student-athlete balance as any regular DBR contributor. With that said, I have always been impressed with Deng, as a Duke undergraduate, as an NBA player, and -- most important -- as a human being. I concur with all the accurate, excellent comments regarding his family situation and his exceptional charity. I also know that the athletic staff at Duke holds him in high regard. I believe any comparison to UK's (and other universities, for that matter) "one and dones" misses a crucial point: Loul did well scholastically and intellectually at Duke during his freshman year, he left in fine academic standing, and he could obviously return at any time of his choosing. IMHO, this differs significantly from, for example, most of Calipari's "one and dones" from last season's Kentucky team, who essentially were never -- even remotely -- interested or participants in the most-critical part of any undergraduate experience: EDUCATION.

slower
11-02-2010, 07:42 AM

Nope - pretty sure that YOU are the disgrace.

SupaDave
11-02-2010, 07:52 AM
And I think it's time this one is done. Thanks for all the positive input guys. The OP is REALLY out of place with this post and I'm grateful you guys recognized.