PDA

View Full Version : Singler makes Preseason AP AA Team

mr. synellinden
11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Singler was the leading vote-getter (Singler Leading Vote-getter on AP Preseason AA Team; HWNSNBM). HWSNBN is the first freshman to make the team.

Pullen, Fredette and J. Johnson round out the team.

Zerogee
11-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Kyle Singler received 62 of 65 votes, and is the leading vote-getter on the AP Preseason All-American team.

He's joined by Kansas State's Jacob Pullen (53 votes), BYU's Jimmer Fredette (49 votes), JaJuan Johnson of Purdue (46 votes), and ... Harrison Barnes, with 17 votes.

HB is the first freshman on the preseason team ... I think ever. The article isn't clear, but it says he's the first freshman to make it since voting began before the 1986 season - perhaps there was a freshman on the team that year, but it seems unlikely.

Interesting that none of the preseason All-Americans from last year made the final team - Singler, Aldrich, Collins, Patterson, and Harangody gave way to Wall, Cousins, Turner, Wes Johnson and Scottie Reynolds.

Also interesting that John Wall couldn't muster first-team votes but Barnes was able to.

More details here: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14224979/singler-barnes-make-preseason-allamerica-team

SMO
11-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Great news for Kyle, but I'd always rather see our guys get snubbed so they get even more motivated (paging Nolan Smith!).

As for HB, I hope those expectations just keep on rising!

superdave
11-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I did not see a tally of votes that would include the 2nd team, 3rd team and also-rans. Anyone see it anywhere?

I'm a little suprised Barnes made the first team - kinda reminds me of Unc being a pre-season Top 10 team last year. I think Nolan making 1st team is a better bet than Barnes. I can see Nolan leading Duke in scoring this year.

mr. synellinden
11-01-2010, 02:41 PM
I did not see a tally of votes that would include the 2nd team, 3rd team and also-rans. Anyone see it anywhere?

I'm a little suprised Barnes made the first team - kinda reminds me of Unc being a pre-season Top 10 team last year. I think Nolan making 1st team is a better bet than Barnes. I can see Nolan leading Duke in scoring this year.

I haven't seen a tally of votes, but here is an alphabetical list of those receiving votes. Smith, Irving and Mason are part of the group.

Others receiving votes (alphabetical): Jeff Allen, Virginia Tech; Malcolm Delaney, Virginia Tech; LaceDarius Dunn, Baylor; Austin Freeman, Georgetown; Elias Harris, Gonzaga.

John Henson, North Carolina; Kyrie Irving, Duke; Brandon Knight, Kentucky; Anthony Jones, Baylor; Kevin Jones, West Virginia.

Kalin Lucas, Michigan State; Jon Leuer, Wisconsin; Shelvin Mack, Butler; Demetri McCamey, Illinois; Marcus Morris, Kansas.

Mason Plumlee, Duke; Nolan Smith, Duke; Jared Sullinger, Ohio State; Durrell Summers, Michigan State; Isaiah Thomas, Washington; Trey Thompkins, Georgia; Kemba Walker, Connecticut.

Slackerb
11-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Jeff Allen and Mason Plumlee over Tracy Smith?

Barnes an preseason AA as a freshman?

Wow.

AZLA
11-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Congrats and well earned.

I don't see the point of naming freshmen to this type of list. There's a few other first year players who may be as good, there just has not been an opportunity for anyone to see them differentiate themselves against top NCAA competition yet.

To have Harrison Barnes, freshman, in the same list as Sr., National Champion, Kyle Singler is silly. HB is going to be a force, but c'mon -- so are a few other freshman in the league we know. I'd like to see this list populated with players who have earned it, not pre-hyped it. Sheeesh.

JayZee
11-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Jeff Allen and Mason Plumlee over Tracy Smith?

Barnes an preseason AA as a freshman?

Wow.

Note - the other receiving votes was alphabetical.

Also note that Duke has 4 players receiving pre-season AA votes. That's pretty amazing. Can't imagine that happens often.

hq2
11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Yes, Singler was last year too, but not at the end. That's when it matters. And, I might say, if he
does get it and they repeat, I think he gets his jersey hung too.

superdave
11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I still have not seen the vote tally anywhere. Anyone else seen it? I'd like to know how many Nolan got. Seems like it would be a no-brainer to release these but the media has no brain half the time.

oldnavy
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Is it just me or is this kid getting set up? What I mean, is that with all the hype, how can he possibly be as good as predicted. Don't get me wrong, I think he is going to be very, very good but is he going to be better than Kevin Durrant, or Carmelo or Derrik Rose or (pick one) of the really really good freshmen to play BB over the past several years? That coupled with the fact that UNC is coming off a terrible year and needs to make some noise AND that he will be the best player/de facto leader on that team makes me wonder how this will impact him. That is a LOT of pressure for a kid.

Thoughts?

Class of '94
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Is it just me or is this kid getting set up? What I mean, is that with all the hype, how can he possibly be as good as predicted. Don't get me wrong, I think he is going to be very, very good but is he going to be better than Kevin Durrant, or Carmelo or Derrik Rose or (pick one) of the really really good freshmen to play BB over the past several years? That coupled with the fact that UNC is coming off a terrible year and needs to make some noise AND that he will be the best player/de facto leader on that team makes me wonder how this will impact him. That is a LOT of pressure for a kid.

Thoughts?

I think HB has truly embraced the pressure, and I believe Roy in that I think he welcomes the pressure and will thrive on it. He appears to be using it as a motivator to work harder and get better based on the accounts that have been cited in other threads. Saying that, I don't think he, or anyone else for that matter at his stage of development, has the talent to live up to all the expectations that many have of him because of all the challenges UNC has to deal with this year.

rotogod00
11-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Thoughts?

I hear you, but maybe there were just no better choices. Or at least obvious ones. All 5 from last year's team are in the NBA now.

sdotbarbee
11-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I think Barnes is a wonderful player and he definitely has the skill set to be very good, but he is still a freshman and hasn't played 1 single minute in a college game. I find it very hard to put anyone who has not shown what they can do against collegiate competition on the preseason AA list. Can he live up to the hype? Maybe but I think it will be very difficult, and I don't see him having a freshman year like Mike Beasley(26ppg, 12rpg) or Kevin Durant(26ppg, 11rpg) and they weren't preseason AA's.

shoutingncu
11-04-2010, 01:08 PM
...but is he going to be better than Kevin Durrant, or Carmelo or Derrik Rose or (pick one)?

Two of those three led their teams to playing for a national championship and the third could have with better coaching (now whether you think Ol' Roy is a lesser evil than Rick Barnes is another matter). John Wall could also be included and, as has been said elsewhere, led his team to a superb record prior to the tournament.

I'd have to go back and look, but I assume post season honors were bestowed upon all four of those examples after their freshman (and only) year... I know Wall was AA and Durant POY. So is it that unreasonable that Barnes is as good as any of those four, or at least, has the same impact on UNC that any of them had on their teams?

Duvall
11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Two of those three led their teams to playing for a national championship and the third could have with better coaching (now whether you think Ol' Roy is a lesser evil than Rick Barnes is another matter). John Wall could also be included and, as has been said elsewhere, led his team to a superb record prior to the tournament.

I'd have to go back and look, but I assume post season honors were bestowed upon all four of those examples after their freshman (and only) year... I know Wall was AA and Durant POY. So is it that unreasonable that Barnes is as good as any of those four, or at least, has the same impact on UNC that any of them had on their teams?

As Durant? Yes, it is unreasonable to think that Barnes, or any other freshman, will be that good.

It's easy to look back and see the freshmen that had All-American-type seasons. But it's also easy to overlook the equally touted freshmen that had seasons that were merely good, or in a few cases downright disappointing. We won't know the difference until we see these players in action against college opponents.

oldnavy
11-04-2010, 07:40 PM

I am not saying that he will not be good or that he will not have a major impact on the heels. It is just that it seems the hype for HB has grown and grown over the summer to the point where unless he averages a double double he will be a disappointment. I actually think that he will be like most freshmen even the very talented ones and struggle at times. Especially when he gets into the heart of the ACC schedule, most freshmen do. As far as how far he can carry the heels, well we all know that anything short of the final four is a disappointment (a good thing), and I just don't see that happening. It will be interesting to see it all unfold.

Bob Green
11-04-2010, 08:12 PM
It is just that it seems the hype for HB has grown and grown over the summer to the point where unless he averages a double double he will be a disappointment.

I agree.

Kyle Singler averaged 13.3 points and 5.8 rebounds per game as a very talented freshman on a Duke team which featured five players who averaged double-digit points. Kyle played 28.6 mpg.

Barnes will be on a Carolina team with slightly less talent than the 2007-08 Blue Devils so I expect him to play more minutes with averages a bit better than what Singler achieved. However, Barnes will not average a double-double, he will not single-handedly deliver Ol' Roy to the promise land, and he will be a disappointment to many (but not all) who view the World through pale blue glasses.

If Barnes hangs around for a second (unlikely) and third season (highly unlikely) in Chapel Hill, he will make a lot of Carolina fans very happy.