PDA

View Full Version : FB: UVA @ Duke Pre-game and In-Game thread

CameronBornAndBred
11-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Well...what looked to be a great opportunity for a win just got a bit tougher, but our guys pulled off their own upset. Still, UVA beat the Miami team that recently beat us up. (Although knocking out Jacory Harris was not part of our game plan). Here's what coach has to say.

"You just see an entire Virginia team that's more opportunistic and tougher," Cutcliffe said. "They are loaded with juniors and seniors that have played a lot of football. They are physically tough. What happened with them and Miami is certainly not an accident."
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/10117900/article--Something-to-build-on-?instance=main_article

After watching us against Navy, I feel we once again have the confidence to win. Same story line though...DO NOT TURN THE BALL OVER!!! (Which by the way worked wonders last weekend!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/4.gif )

Bob Green
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm confident we can build off the Navy victory and beat Virginia for the third straight season. While their win over Miami is impressive, in the woulda, coulda, shoulda realm, Duke coulda, woulda, shoulda beat the 'Canes except for seven (Count'em seven) turnovers. We keep the turnover bug in the bag and our reasonably balanced offense (314 yards passing/142 yards rushing against Navy) and steadily improving defense can get it done at Wallace Wade this coming Saturday. A win the first weekend of November would represent a solid move forward for Duke football.

The win over Navy has done wonders for my dispositon.

Olympic Fan
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Interesting that the Cavs still have dreams of bowl eligibility.

Right now, they are 4-4, but they are in the same shape we were in last year -- they play two 1-AA teams (Richmond and VMI), so they need to get seven wins to qualify or get an NCAA waiver at 6-6.

They do have a chance -- at Duke, Maryland at home (I know they are 6-2, but they are hardly overwhelming) and at Boston College. They finish at Virginia Tech, which doesn't look too like a good chance to get that 6th or 7th win.

I said earlier this season, that watching Virginia under London this year reminds me of the change Duke underwent overnight with Cutcliffle. Not in style, but just the sense that after years of watching a sloppy, undisciplined team, I was seeing a well-coached, focused team.

It should be a good game ... we have a chance to beat Virginia for the third straight year. We haven't beaten an ACC opponent in three straight years since Barry Wilson beat Wake in 1993 and Fred Goldsmith followed that up with wins in '95 and '95. Before that you have to go back to Spurrier -- he beat Georgia Tech and UNC from 1987-89.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Starting November with a conference win would be a great next step for the program.

mkline09
11-01-2010, 12:56 PM
When you look at the Duke Miami game you saw that 1) Duke killed themselves with turnovers 2) Miami isn't very good and gave Duke every opportunity to win that game, Duke just couldn't take advantage of those opportunities. Had they played the way they did against Navy they could have won that game.

So not to dismiss a nice win for Virginia I think Duke can win that game regardless of what they did to Miami, especially if Duke continues to play well on both sides of the ball.

sagegrouse
11-01-2010, 01:37 PM
When you look at the Duke Miami game you saw that 1) Duke killed themselves with turnovers 2) Miami isn't very good and gave Duke every opportunity to win that game, Duke just couldn't take advantage of those opportunities. Had they played the way they did against Navy they could have won that game.

So not to dismiss a nice win for Virginia I think Duke can win that game regardless of what they did to Miami, especially if Duke continues to play well on both sides of the ball.

UVa lost 44-10 to UNC at home and then turned around and beat Miami, which had beaten UNC, 33-10. I suppose there is the question of which Virginia team shows up.

I am more interested in the answer to the question, "Which Duke team will show up?"

sagegrouse

4decadedukie
11-01-2010, 03:24 PM
While I have great respect for each of the previous contributors to this thread, I offer one simple -- but potentially critical -- thought: Each game stands on its own. UVa's recent Miami victory, and our win against a higher-rated Navy team that defeated Notre Dame ten days ago, only suggest (to me) that either team is capable of winning this contest (which we obviously all know already). Renfree had an unbelievable game against Navy (314 yards, 28 for 31 completions, 2 TDs, no interception). Can he perform Saturday at this level? Only time will tell.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Interesting that the Cavs still have dreams of bowl eligibility.

And what makes you so sure that Duke won't finish the regular season at 6 - 6? It could happen! :cool:

SharkD
11-01-2010, 10:44 PM
And what makes you so sure that Duke won't finish the regular season at 6 - 6? It could happen! :cool:

Count me amongst the true believers.

I firmly expect Sean Renfree to break the existing record for consecutive completions. Heck, he would have been 30-for-30 had it not been for a ball bouncing off Donovan Varner's facemask and a pass to Helfet(?) that was bobbled while in-bounds and finally secured on the sidelines.

We just need to keep things in focus.

One game at a time.

4decadedukie
11-02-2010, 07:05 AM
A personal note follows: Due to extensive business travel this year, Saturday's game will be my only Wade opportunity this season. I look forward to the game, to an ACC victory, to three-in-row against UVa, and to joining with many other Dukies on campus. LET'S GO DUKE!

devildeac
11-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Count me amongst the true believers.

I firmly expect Sean Renfree to break the existing record for consecutive completions. Heck, he would have been 30-for-30 had it not been for a ball bouncing off Donovan Varner's facemask and a pass to Helfet(?) that was bobbled while in-bounds and finally secured on the sidelines.

We just need to keep things in focus.

One game at a time.

The bobbled/incomplete pass to which you refer was to Scott. He almost made a great catch as he got his foot (feet?) down in-bounds but bobbled the ball as he fell to the ground OOB. Tough play. Helfet was the one who made the rumblin'/stumblin'/bumblin' catch with a Navy defender or two hanging on as he battled for a crucial 1st down, IIRC.

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2010, 07:46 AM
A personal note follows: Due to extensive business travel this year, Saturday's game will be my only Wade opportunity this season. I look forward to the game, to an ACC victory, to three-in-row against UVa, and to joining with many other Dukies on campus. LET'S GO DUKE!
Please come visit us at Brunchgate on Devil's Alley. (And as always, any others who show up for the game.)

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Please come visit us at Brunchgate on Devil's Alley. (And as always, any others who show up for the game.)
If you do come by you can get your picture in the paper and be famous like Ozzie and CathyCA!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-02-2010, 09:25 AM
The game Saturday with Virginia is a very important one if our team is to continue any sort of momentum. For many fans the noon kickoff is less than ideal. The cooler weather may be another factor which would discourage attendance.

Come on out! Join us in the stands to support this team. They need us there supporting them as much as we need for them to win again.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
During halftime of the UVA game, Clarkston Hines will be honored for his upcoming induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. Clarkston still holds the ACC record for three 1K-yard seasons (receiving).

6th Man
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
The game Saturday with Virginia is a very important one if our team is to continue any sort of momentum. For many fans the noon kickoff is less than ideal. The cooler weather may be another factor which would discourage attendance.

Come on out! Join us in the stands to support this team. They need us there supporting them as much as we need for them to win again.

I'll be there...and I am actually looking forward to the cooler weather. I have baked like I was in an oven at all of the other home games. (I guess Elon was at night, so it wasn't as bad)

watzone
11-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Here is today's press conference with Coach Cutcliffe where he talks the Navy win and upcoming game with UVA - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/todays-coach-cutcliffe-press-conference/

Newton_14
11-02-2010, 09:32 PM
The bobbled/incomplete pass to which you refer was to Scott. He almost made a great catch as he got his foot (feet?) down in-bounds but bobbled the ball as he fell to the ground OOB. Tough play. Helfet was the one who made the rumblin'/stumblin'/bumblin' catch with a Navy defender or two hanging on as he battled for a crucial 1st down, IIRC.

Cut was on 620 The Buzz this morning and stated that when they reviewed the game tapes, they saw that the receiver (Helfet or Scott??) actually made a legal catch there and had control of the ball with a foot down before going out of bounds. I missed that particular play so I have no clue. Just relaying what the big guy said!

We need to come out hot and roll UVA from the get go!

devildeac
11-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Cut was on 620 The Buzz this morning and stated that when they reviewed the game tapes, they saw that the receiver (Helfet or Scott??) actually made a legal catch there and had control of the ball with a foot down before going out of bounds. I missed that particular play so I have no clue. Just relaying what the big guy said!

Shoot, I'd be willing to give Renfree another completion on that play and make him 29/30;). I thought it was a legal catch, too, but could see how they ruled it incomplete. I'd be willing to call a couple holding penalties on Navy, too;).

4decadedukie
11-03-2010, 08:13 AM

I was close enough to see it . . . it WAS a reception.

Bob Green
11-04-2010, 10:24 AM
As I've stated before, the Washington Post has a great sports section. This article talks glowingly about Duke's offense:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/01/AR2010110105346.html

Here are some UVA notes from the Richmond Times Dispatch:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/uva-athletics/2010/nov/04/uvaf04-ar-629550/

and here are the game notes from GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&ATCLID=205023128&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I'm excited about our chances to defeat Virginia on Saturday and secure Coach Cutcliffe's first November victory at Duke. As the coach has repeatedly stated in interviews, we need to be solid in all three phases of the game: offense, defense and special teams.

AuburnDukeGirl
11-04-2010, 10:59 AM
My husband and I are coming to the game this weekend without tickets. How much do you think tickets will go for outside the stadium? We try to go to 1 or 2 Duke football games a year and this would be our first game this year. Thanks for the help! Beat the Cavs!

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2010, 11:13 AM
My husband and I are coming to the game this weekend without tickets. How much do you think tickets will go for outside the stadium? We try to go to 1 or 2 Duke football games a year and this would be our first game this year. Thanks for the help! Beat the Cavs!
Thanks to the Alabama fans you can get them for $2 on stubhub. I'm sure they can have them waiting at will-call.
http://www.stubhub.com/duke-football-tickets/duke-vs-virginia-11-6-2010-934094/

AuburnDukeGirl
11-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks to the Alabama fans you can get them for $2 on stubhub. I'm sure they can have them waiting at will-call.
http://www.stubhub.com/duke-football-tickets/duke-vs-virginia-11-6-2010-934094/

Wow, thanks! I forgot about the crazy Bama fans buying the season tickets.

SharkD
11-04-2010, 04:44 PM

I will have some spare tickets (they'll either be in Sect 9 or Sect 24, depending on whether my wife and toddler son come along to the game - the game is right at nap time), which you're welcome to, free of charge.

PM me.

ArnieMc
11-05-2010, 09:45 AM
We're waiting for your prediction for this week. Last week you were nearly perfect!

I'll go out on a limb and predict Duke wins 34-27 as Sean Renfree and the wide receivers break out of their funk and air out the ball over the Midshipmen.

Bob Green
11-05-2010, 11:02 AM
We're waiting for your prediction for this week. Last week you were nearly perfect!

Duke 30 - UVa 27.

Here is a link to a poll at the Washington Post where everyone can voice their opinion:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cavaliers-journal/2010/11/poll_how_will_virginia_fare_ag_6.html

I voted: "Duke will win close."

Bob Green
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Rob Daniels, at the ACC Sports Journal, predicts a 19-14 victory for Duke:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/201011058976/weekend-preview-nov-5.php

He states the key to the game for the Blue Devils is a willingness to run the ball 50 percent of the time. Hmmm...that sounds familar, who is it that keeps talking about the need to successfully run the ball?

Virginia is 111th nationally in run defense giving up 207.38 yards per game.

CameronBornAndBred
11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Rob Daniels, at the ACC Sports Journal, predicts a 19-14 victory for Duke:

I've seen a lot of calls for a close victory by either team..I really believe it is an honest toss-up. Home field advantage is nice to have, but as Duke proved last week, being at home doesn't win games. This should be a really exciting (and at times frustrating) game. I'm guessing 27-19 Duke, with UVA playing catch up after a slow start.

pbc2
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Here's another set of previews, should be an evenly matched game and hopefully our first November win under Cut!

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/bdn-previews-virginia-at-duke/

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/duke-virginia-qa-exchange/

6th Man
11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Ok, so I am about to dream here a little bit...

What if Duke can win tomorrow, which is entirely possibe. We gain a little confidence and then play Boston College next week. B.C. is another team Duke has a legit shot at. Then it is a trip down to Georgia Tech where they just lost Nesbitt to a broken arm. Plus they play the Navy system that we have seen this season. Finally we play a Tarhole team that has the potential to lose their next 3 against FSU, Va. Tech, and State. So maybe we face a dejected Tarheel team that has given up. If we could win all 4, that would put us at 6 wins and make us bowl eligible.

Ok...nobody wake me up...

Acymetric
11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Wow, the O-line makes me nervous...hopefully the backups step up big for us (and hopefully some of the hurt guys can play). Jay is going to have to step up in the run game with Snead out as well.

Oh, I have 2 extra tickets (GA) if anyone wants them shoot me a PM.

peloton
11-05-2010, 05:46 PM

"You may say that you're a dreamer, but you're not the only one" - to paraphrase one John Lennon (may he RIP.) Sexto Hombre, you are not alone I assure you. I truly believe that if we prevail tomorrow over the Cavs (and I think we will...more on that later) we will have enough momentum and confidence to win at least another couple of games and yes, possibly all 3!

As Bob Green mentioned earlier, UVa is weak defending the run. While we'd be obviously much better off with both Desmond and Josh playing tomorrow, I think Duke can still exploit this to our advantage with our remaining running backs. I have total confidence in Sean and the receivers once again playing solid football. It's all very straightforward if you think about it. The aliens that inhabited Sean's and the receivers' bodies for several games obviously knew nothing of this game we call 'football'. Not to mention the fact that they certainly weren't enjoying the hits and accompanying pain...after a few games they'd had enough and vamoosed back to their own planet. There typically is a logical explanation for most things in life, it's true.

We need to remember that just as the team itself continues to mature and learn things about themselves, Coach Cut and his staff continue to learn (on the job) what works and what doesn't work for this team. What worked at Tennessee or Ole Miss may of course not work so well with the players on our current team. But, I'm absolutely convinced that both our team's players and coaches are learning what each expects of the other in spite of (and maybe especially as a result of) the "tough stretches". How's that for a tangent by the way? I guess I get carried away sometimes when it comes to talking about Duke football and basketball...I can't help it.

Go Devils! Let's beat the Cavs! It's going to be prime football weather...I'm psyched! Can you tell?! :D

sandinmyshoes
11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
I honestly feel like that from a talent standpoint, this is a game we should win. Of course, I also realize that sometimes its about matchups as much as talent, which is why there are some odd upsets, like UVA over Miami.

davekay1971
11-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Bumping it up to the top. It's still football season!

I had a feeling that Duke was going to put it together last week and, with the exception of the fourth quarter, when we changed the gameplan from "Win" to "Don't lose", our team did.

This week I've got another good feeling. The D is going to show that the first half last week was no fluke, and, after Cut establishes that Duke can run against UVa's porous run defense, Renfree carves up the Wahoo secondary.

Duke wins 34-24

pbc2
11-06-2010, 09:14 AM

What if Duke can win tomorrow, which is entirely possibe. We gain a little confidence and then play Boston College next week. B.C. is another team Duke has a legit shot at. Then it is a trip down to Georgia Tech where they just lost Nesbitt to a broken arm. Plus they play the Navy system that we have seen this season. Finally we play a Tarhole team that has the potential to lose their next 3 against FSU, Va. Tech, and State. So maybe we face a dejected Tarheel team that has given up. If we could win all 4, that would put us at 6 wins and make us bowl eligible.

Ok...nobody wake me up...

You're not wrong. Duke has a favorable November schedule, and if they play well, could win any or all of their remaining games. That being said, the margin for error with this team is small, as we have seen, and turnovers or mistakes in any phase of the game will be costly. It all starts today with Virginia, a team that is also feeling good about itself with 2 straight wins.

We have to control the line of scrimmage and take care of the football to win today.

Bob Green
11-06-2010, 10:46 AM
The Fayetteville Observer has a short Q&A with Kelby Brown posted:

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/11/06/1045824?sac=ACC_Sports

The true freshman linebacker has established himself as a key defensive player this season. In six games, Brown is averaging 7.3 tackles per game, which is 10th in the ACC and second on Duke behind senior Abraham Kromah who is 2nd in the ACC at 10.1 tackles per game.

We need Kelby Brown to have a strong performance helping to shutdown Virginia's running game.

Acymetric
11-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Ross finally gets his pick! Looking great so far lets keep it up!

loran16
11-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Cockrell EASILY CLEARLY has his 2nd PICK, and the Refs blow the call and don't overturn it on replay...what a crock.

loran16
11-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Okay the refs are terrible for both teams today.

First drive, Late Hit on UVA that was borderline.

On this last drive, Late hit on UVA on offense that was BEYOND asinine. I mean, it helped a lot but still, guys, WTF

Kimist
11-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Cockrell EASILY CLEARLY has his 2nd PICK, and the Refs blow the call and don't overturn it on replay...what a crock.

The ACC refs are always unpredictable, but I cannot image how anyone who saw ALL of the replays of the catch could have ruled it was not valid.

k

loran16
11-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Okay, I FREAKING HATE! Cutcliffe's time management at the end of the ha,lf.

Duke has 3 time outs and rather than call them as they're driving to get a chance to get the last drive, Duke lets UVA run out the clock and score.

Un-believable.

loran16
11-06-2010, 01:32 PM
And yet, this looks like way too many games where Duke lost all momentum at the end of teh 2nd Q.

sandinmyshoes
11-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I hope that another year's recruiting will not only add talent, but depth. Especially to the defense, which seems to wilt at the end of each half.

Still, we have a lead. Just wish I could trust it.

Bob Green
11-06-2010, 01:42 PM
We must avoid the 3rd quarter blahs today. Virginia is on offense to start the 2nd half so we need a stop and then build some offensive momentum.

cspan37421
11-06-2010, 02:09 PM
I hope that another year's recruiting will not only add talent, but depth. Especially to the defense, which seems to wilt at the end of each half.

If what I see on the gamecast is correct, they're showing initiative by not waiting to the end of the half to wilt, yielding 96 yards in 9 plays. :(

I would not feel good if I were Duke's DC, unless he's got some really good players coming in next year or redshirting this year. Well, I would not feel good regardless.

How odd is it that Ted Roof is at Auburn now? Their defense isn't great, but it's good enough so far.

Acymetric
11-06-2010, 02:23 PM
We're showing a lot of spirit and energy on the sidelines today...lets GET IT defense!

Acymetric
11-06-2010, 02:26 PM
And they GOT IT! Lets go Duke!

peloton
11-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Let's go Devils! Dig deep and let's grab this victory - it's there for the taking.

peloton
11-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Way to go big guy!!! Beautiful run for the TD! Sean's becoming a dual threat QB!

crote
11-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Holy cow, what a two minute drill by Duke here to regain the lead.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Wow, just when I was getting ready to post some snide comment about Duke football finding ways to lose. We pick up about 30 yards on a 4th and 18, then Helfet turns a short pass into a 15 yard pick up by bullrushing the defender, and then we call a toss play, and run it from 35 yards out. Successful 2 point conversion. UVA can certainly drive the field on us given our defense and 3 timeouts, but that was pretty amazing.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I hate the pooch kick so much. Here, take the ball at the 40.

DevilHorns
11-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Wohhooooo!

VICTORY!

Acymetric
11-06-2010, 03:48 PM
YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! Found a way to win, LGD!

peloton
11-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Way to hang tough, Devils! Congrats to Coach Cutcliffe and the entire team on a hard fought win (to say the least.) Let's hope that Vernon's and the others' injuries aren't serious. Very nice win against an improving Virginia squad.

dukelifer
11-06-2010, 03:51 PM
YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! Found a way to win, LGD!

What a game! Learning how to win. It is a process. So good for this team. They have chance to make a little run.

Newton_14
11-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow! What a win! Left for dead with 4th and 19 and Renfree to Varner saves the day!

Big big win. Losing 48 to 47 would have been and absolute death sentence.

Way to go boys!

Go Duke!

D.C. Devil
11-06-2010, 03:55 PM
I hate the pooch kick so much. Here, take the ball at the 40.

Yeah. I guess you burn a little time, but it's basically like kicking it OB. Especially when the kick coverage had been so good.

But what a gutty performance by the team, especially the offense. Congratulations to Cut. Now let's hope the medical staff can mend some bruises.