PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Self-Reports Violations (... Involving Ashton Kutcher?)

Jderf
10-31-2010, 04:34 PM
This is odd (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20101031/NEWS/10310353/1001/NEWS/Register-exclusive-U-of-I-violations-tied-to-Ashton-Kutcher-Demi-Moore). Apparently, Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore (along with some former players) met with basketball recruits as representatives of Iowa's athletic program. Definitely verboten. Very, very strange stuff.

SCMatt33
10-31-2010, 05:23 PM
At least they handled it better than Bruce Pearl. This is probably one of those scenarios where they lose a couple of phone calls or days on the road. One of the guys had already committed, anyway. Kind of funny to see Ashton Kutcher involved in a violation though.

dbluedevil222
10-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Can someone who is knowledgable about this sort of thing explain how this is different from Harrison Barnes meeting with Michael Jordan? Both are celebrities, both are interested in seeing their respective school win, and neither has any other legitimate reason to meet other than to recruit.

I added the last part on the end because of former players who now work as basketball analysts (Jason Williams, Hubert Davis). Seems somewhat unfair to punish a school for having a different type of celebrity to lure in a recruit.

The one thing that I would think is even worse is that Jordan owns part of the Bobcats, making him NBA affiliated as well...

RoyalBlue08
10-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Can someone who is knowledgable about this sort of thing explain how this is different from Harrison Barnes meeting with Michael Jordan? Both are celebrities, both are interested in seeing their respective school win, and neither has any other legitimate reason to meet other than to recruit.

I added the last part on the end because of former players who now work as basketball analysts (Jason Williams, Hubert Davis). Seems somewhat unfair to punish a school for having a different type of celebrity to lure in a recruit.

The one thing that I would think is even worse is that Jordan owns part of the Bobcats, making him NBA affiliated as well...

It's not any different as far as I can tell. A funny take on this from Gary Parrish's twitter: "I'm not sure there's ever been a UNC recruit who didn't meet M Jordan. But Iowa can't use the guy from "Dude, Where's My Car?" Hilarious."

BD80
10-31-2010, 08:25 PM
This is odd (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20101031/NEWS/10310353/1001/NEWS/Register-exclusive-U-of-I-violations-tied-to-Ashton-Kutcher-Demi-Moore). Apparently, Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore (along with some former players) met with basketball recruits as representatives of Iowa's athletic program. Definitely verboten. Very, very strange stuff.

Is Demi looking to replace Ashton with something even younger?

Duvall
10-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Can someone who is knowledgable about this sort of thing explain how this is different from Harrison Barnes meeting with Michael Jordan?

One involves North Carolina basketball, and the other doesn't.

dbluedevil222
10-31-2010, 08:41 PM
It's not any different as far as I can tell. A funny take on this from Gary Parrish's twitter: "I'm not sure there's ever been a UNC recruit who didn't meet M Jordan. But Iowa can't use the guy from "Dude, Where's My Car?" Hilarious."

Interesting that the tweet you mention has since been deleted. Of course I was still able to find it because twitter saves the tweet pages... http://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/29289066255

PADukeMom
11-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Is Demi looking to replace Ashton with something even younger?

You just made me choke on my coffee. Thank you for brightening up my Monday morning.

timmy c
11-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Iowa got Punk'd!