PDA

View Full Version : Myck Kabongo Re-Commits to Texas

tydotscott
10-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Lists Duke as one of five schools he will take a look at.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5745649

sleepybear
10-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Good move. Barnes is not a very good coach.

(Do we need him?)

Mike Corey
10-30-2010, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2ayWcJfxo

Bluedevil114
10-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Austin Rivers said he was going to recruit some guys to play with him and remember that tweet he had him, Gbinije, Myck all on the same team. Watch out.

AlaskanAssassin
10-30-2010, 07:12 PM
What happens if Cook commits to Duke?

I think Kentucky is unlikely because of Teague. UNC? Syracuse?

Mike Corey
10-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Jeff Goodman predicting (http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman) that Kabongo ends up at Duke:

Don’t be shocked if Kabongo winds up teaming with Austin Rivers at Duke next year.

I don’t have any inside info here, but that’s my gut on where he lands. He and Rivers and tight – and Kabongo wants to go somewhere he can play and win a national title.

Syracuse will have both Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche back in the fold. Kentucky will have point guard Marquise Teague and North Carolina has Larry Drew II and Kendall Marshall.

Duke has freshman Kyrie Irving, but he’ll likely be off to the NBA afterthis season.

For a sampling of what Kabongo can do on the court:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqDpDYv7v54&feature=fvst

AlaskanAssassin
10-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Duke must be in a tough spot with Cook supposedly leaning towards Duke. Maybe a 'first come, first serve'?

Devilsfan
10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Crazies might have more fun with a Kabongo in the kitchen (house) than a Cook. Who do you think our coaches rate higher and who do they think would fit in better?

Bluedevil114
10-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Coach K is the hottest coach in college right now. Those olympics really hurt our recruiting. GO DUKE!! There is nothing better than being a Duke fan!!

Devilsfan
10-30-2010, 07:53 PM
What's the young man's actual surname? Was the poster just quoted trying to be cute or did he just make a mistake?

fgb
10-30-2010, 08:14 PM
this is good. we're on his list, ar is tight with him--he may wind up here, and in the meantime it might/should put some pressure on cook.

ajgoodfella7
10-30-2010, 08:20 PM
What happens if Cook commits to Duke?

I think Kentucky is unlikely because of Teague. UNC? Syracuse?

I think Duke would have to weigh the pros and cons of each. I think the main pro of Kabongo is that he is obviously the more talented point guard between the two. The only thing is that I'm not sure if he would be a one and done or possibly two and done. As far as Cook is concerned, I think everyone believes he is a 4 year player and while he is less physically talented, he may benefit Duke in the long run more. Personally I really don't know which I would prefer. Either way I think Duke only gets one or the other.

I honestly can't see how Kabongo would commit though unless he is sure Irving is gone after this year. I'm not sure how Coach K could manage a rotation of Irving, Kabongo, Curry, Thornton, Dawkins, and Rivers but I'd sure like to see him try :)

loran16
10-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Personally, if Cook is a 4 year player and Kabongo is a 1 year player, I'd rather have Cook.

We need 4 year players, and we seem to be going too high with the one and dones.

But this is a good problem to have.

Bob Green
10-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I think Duke would have to weigh the pros and cons of each.

With the Adams decommitment, there is room for both Cook and Kabongo:

10-2+3+2=13.

SilkyJ
10-30-2010, 08:25 PM
this is good. we're on his list, ar is tight with him--he may wind up here, and in the meantime it might/should put some pressure on cook.

I think it puts pressure on Cook only if Cook is thinking about waiting until the late signing period, which he may be.

Most, however, seem to think he'll commit in the early period. If that's the case, Duke will wait the ~2 weeks and see what Quinn wants to do. If Quinn decides to wait for the spring, then the staff may look harder at MK and extend an offer. Afterall, we have to look out for ourselves.

Also, I've never heard that the Duke staff was ever seriously involved or evaluating MK. Do we even have a relationship there outside of him and AR being friends? It takes a while to build these relationships -- on both sides -- so I think its a bit presumptuous for anyone to assume we might be considering going after MK or recruiting over QC, etc.

ajgoodfella7
10-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I think it puts pressure on Cook only if Cook is thinking about waiting until the late signing period, which he may be.

Most, however, seem to think he'll commit in the early period. If that's the case, Duke will wait the ~2 weeks and see what Quinn wants to do. If Quinn decides to wait for the spring, then the staff may look harder at MK and extend an offer. Afterall, we have to look out for ourselves.

Also, I've never heard that the Duke staff was ever seriously involved or evaluating MK. Do we even have a relationship there outside of him and AR being friends? It takes a while to build these relationships -- on both sides -- so I think its a bit presumptuous for anyone to assume we might be considering going after MK or recruiting over QC, etc.

I'm sure Duke would be interested in MK if he wants them to be interested. Don't forget MK has been committed to Texas for almost 2 years now. So if Duke was interested, there was not much they could do about it for the past few years.

SilkyJ
10-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm sure Duke would be interested in MK if he wants them to be interested. Don't forget MK has been committed to Texas for almost 2 years now. So if Duke was interested, there was not much they could do about it for the past few years.

Why are you "sure?" Do we even know this kid? Would his grades be good enough? Is he a "Duke" guy in terms of attitude, character, etc.?

We aren't interested in every top 10 recruit. He's certainly got enough talent for us to be interested, but its not like we extend offers to every top recruit that's interested in us.

Not to mention its late in the game, we already have a several young guards, and have at least one more (AR) set to come next year, with a second (QC) likely to join...so I'm wondering how big of a deal/priority is this for us? Has anyone heard the staff say the interest is mutual? Seem like reasonable questions.

ajgoodfella7
10-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Why are you "sure?" Do we even know this kid? Would his grades be good enough? Is he a "Duke" guy in terms of attitude, character, etc.?

We aren't interested in every top 10 recruit. He's certainly got enough talent for us to be interested, but its not like we extend offers to every top recruit that's interested in us.

Not to mention its late in the game, we already have a several young guards, and have at least one more (AR) set to come next year, with a second (QC) likely to join...so I'm wondering how big of a deal/priority is this for us? Has anyone heard the staff say the interest is mutual? Seem like reasonable questions.

I didn't mean to imply that I was in the know and I should have chosen my words more carefully. There was an article a while back on HighSchoolHoop.com that stated that Rivers was his best friend and in the article Kabongo basically said he knew Rivers was going to Duke. Now I know this doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things as far as MK coming to Duke, but just putting 2 and 2 together it is my opinion that Rivers has probably been in his ear about it. I think that would be a reasonable assumption to make. And it is just my opinion, but I think Duke would at least give MK some attention if he is indeed interested.

But as I said, I'm not in the know and its just my opinion.

Cockabeau
10-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Also, I've never heard that the Duke staff was ever seriously involved or evaluating MK.

your wrong....mk to duke

Gthoma2a
10-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I think we may be in some trouble with Cook anyway (outsider looking at the fact that he used to be a UNC fan). He was a UNC fan and his interview sounded like he just completely opened up when Roy started talking to him. Kabongo was rumored to be looking to move to Duke a while back, gave the tweet that had to be refuted in the Austin thread, and this seems like it could work. Kabongo is very talented. We will be fine no matter what... Last year, we couldn't get a guard (Wall and Bledsoe), but now the fish are jumping into the net.

SilkyJ
10-30-2010, 10:02 PM
your wrong....mk to duke

I can't be wrong or right since I'm not making a declaration. I'm simply asking those who know: are we looking at this guy?

johnb
10-30-2010, 10:07 PM
As with comparisons between Scheyer and Irving, no particular reason for us to try to compare 2 of the 5 best high school point guards in the country, since either could end up being our guy, and by general acclaim are both solid guys and great players. Further, both have Internet access...

Having said that, I'm not concerned about getting a one-and-done guy every year or two, as long as the guy is a team player and unpacks his bags. Maybe it'll be a mess with Kyrie and Austin, but I doubt if either will screw up team chemistry and both will add to our skill level and to our rep as a place for hot shots.

Having said that, I'd be shocked if Kabongo went to Kentucky since they already have Teague or back to Texas as a recommit. A Canadian, he initially chose a very warm college, as are 4/5 on his list, so i'll assume syracuse is a near-canada smokescreen. A reasonable young man, he couldn't pick carolina. so it looks like we may have gotten us another 5 star player.

dukeballboy88
10-30-2010, 10:39 PM
i also remember reading the article a while back where myck said he would love to play with austin rivers.

ajgoodfella7
10-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Here is that High School Hoop Interview with Kabongo from back in July. It states in the opening that Austin Rivers is his best friend. He also pretty much knew back in July that Austin was in love with Duke so that shows you that they must discuss their plans together. We shall see what happens but I like where Duke is sitting if they choose to get involved with MK.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/07/1-on-1-with-myck-kabongo/

Mike Corey
10-30-2010, 11:43 PM
This'll be fun to watch.

Oriole Way
10-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Wow, if Myck comes to Duke, it will be an unprecedented run of NBA talent coming into Duke in such a small time frame.

ACCBBallFan
10-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Not happening as much on this thread as on the other Duke boards, but I don't particularly like these threads pitting one recruit against another. Either would be great add for Duke or any ACC team, though UNC is only other one in the running for either.

This would be to supplement a very talented and under rated Tyler Thornton not to maroon him. I think people immediately inserting every new guy that comes along into the starting lineup forget about the experience edge not only of Tyler but also Dre and Seth.

It might work out for all concerned if Duke gets Myck and Quinn gets to play for his longtime favorite UNC, but both teams should be very happy if instead Quinn ends up at Duke and Myck at UNC.

With Kyrie almost certainly one and done, makes sense for Duke to go after one of them, though they can afford to wait on a 2012 guy too. In UNC case with Drew II, Strickland, Marshall, Bullock and PJ Hairston, plus McDonald, assuming Barnes is gone after this year, not sure it makes as much sense to go after either other than to muddy the waters for Duke's quest.

The good thing about the Tyler Adams decommit is Duke can offer Myck without it necessarily being in lieu of Quinn Cook's offer and then whoever wants it most opts for Duke first. The second one if they choose to do what Bledsoe did could also possibly choose Duke, but most likely would not and Duke may prefer it that way.

With Austin being 6'5" though, he could easily play WF along with Gbinije and Dawkins while the shorter guys and these three also battle it out for the two combo slots.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=16...amp;nid=3545859

Scout only has Myck listed at 6'2" 170' so he has a ways to go to develop an NBA ready body. Heck Rivers is only listed at 6'4" 175 but these could be dated metrics.

NSDukeFan
10-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Wow, if Myck comes to Duke, it will be an unprecedented run of NBA talent coming into Duke in such a small time frame.

Do you mean unprecedented like the mid 80's, late 80's, late 90's and early 2000s? :)

AlaskanAssassin
10-31-2010, 12:43 AM
If Kabongo attends Duke, that would be two top recruits who decommitted to go to Duke. I can see everyone hating already.

FireOgilvie
10-31-2010, 12:53 AM
If Kabongo attends Duke, that would be two top recruits who decommitted to go to Duke. I can see everyone hating already.

Yeah, that would be a total 360 degree turn from where things have been!*

*Before someone mentions it, I understand how degrees work. This was sarcasm.

Oriole Way
10-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Duke must be in a tough spot with Cook supposedly leaning towards Duke. Maybe a 'first come, first serve'?

This situation is extremely intriguing to me. The more I think about it, the more I believe K will recruit Kabongo hard, but still keep Duke's offer extended to Cook. I think he will sell both kids on the idea of playing together and having to earn minutes along with Thornton and Rivers.

Because of this, I think the ball is in Cook's court. He might not want to commit first without knowing where Kabongo will go for sure, because if Kabongo commits, he will be looking at a time share at best his freshman season, if he is even able to get significant playing time at all.

My questions are:

Would Cook be willing to spend his freshman season as a bench player with the hopes of being the man as an upperclassman?

Will Cook wait until the spring to see where Kabongo goes, as well as what happens with the possible NBA lockout and how that affects Irving?

Would Cook "risk" waiting until then with the possibility Kabango could commit to Duke in the near future?

If Cook commits to Duke first, would that make Kabongo to UNC probable? If Kabongo commits to Duke first, does that make Cook to UNC probable? (I think the answer to both questions is "yes")

Is good ole' Roy now going to back off of Cook yet again, and make Kabongo priority #1?

Is Kabongo's friendship with Rivers/desire to play with Rivers/desire to win a title strong enough to lead him to Duke no matter what?

If Cook commits first, would he de-commit if Kabongo were to commit to Duke after him anyway?

So many factors at play here.

dchen09
10-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Personally, if Cook is a 4 year player and Kabongo is a 1 year player, I'd rather have Cook.

We need 4 year players, and we seem to be going too high with the one and dones.

The thing about recruiting Cook is that we already have a 4 year PG in Thornton and we have another 3 years out of Seth Curry. I think we all agree that Seth Curry is already very very good and based on the fact that people think Thornton is already better than UNC's Marshall and that he could possibly earn minutes THIS YEAR, do we really need another 4 year PG right now? I mean, if Cook came along in 2012, I would LOVE to have him, but as it is right now, I don't see Cook being able to take playing time away from seth and tyler thornton in the next 2 years, while we're still pursuing other options such as Rodney Purvis.

FireOgilvie
10-31-2010, 01:02 AM
I'll be happy if we get one of Cook/Kabongo and the other one doesn't go to UNC.

Gthoma2a
10-31-2010, 01:09 AM
I don't mind either way, but to me it just seems that we are very lucky to be this close on all of these guys' lists.

The thing that sticks in my mind is that Quinn jumped at Roy's phone call pretty hard. Roy hasn't even offered him and he seems like he still has that UNC fan fragment to his personality. Kabongo has a legit friendship with a guy who is going to be here at the same time. We have a team of great guys who can be the best teamates if Quinn gives us a chance, but is that enough to Cook? Cook is like a brother to Nolan (who will be gone), but is that enough? Does he think it is a big enough deal to break ties with his childhood favorite or will he hold out to try to get Roy (pathetic coach) to bite on him? It would be a mistake to me, but to each their own. I think Kabongo has a serious chance to be on the Duke campus next year, but I still have a lot of questions regarding Quinn (and two weeks ago, I had no question in my mind that he'd be here).

SeattleIrish
10-31-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm not an expert, but I do feel confident in saying that Myck is very good at dribbling the ball between his legs. And I do mean VERY good.

I'm going to declare that he will be, should he commit, the best between-the-leg-ball-dribbler on our entire team. And I don't say that lightly.

s.i.

G man
10-31-2010, 01:34 AM
The thing about recruiting Cook is that we already have a 4 year PG in Thornton and we have another 3 years out of Seth Curry. I think we all agree that Seth Curry is already very very good and based on the fact that people think Thornton is already better than UNC's Marshall and that he could possibly earn minutes THIS YEAR, do we really need another 4 year PG right now? I mean, if Cook came along in 2012, I would LOVE to have him, but as it is right now, I don't see Cook being able to take playing time away from seth and tyler thornton in the next 2 years, while we're still pursuing other options such as Rodney Purvis.

I could not agree more I was just about to post this very thing. We have Thornton why not take the better of the two. Not sure who that is because I have not seen either play in person, but I don't think that it matters who is willing to stay longer.

-bdbd
10-31-2010, 01:45 AM
Look. MK is clearly a very talented player. It is hard to imagine ANY college program not welcoming him with open arms. I'd be shocked if we didn't at least kick the wheels some, and personally I'd be thrilled to snare him.

All that said, I think it is very unlikely we could get both MK and QC. So, a "first one in the truck gets it" approach doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. Of course none of us knows what has transpired behind closed doors in Duke talks with QC either...

This certainly would be an uptick in NBA-level talent from the last few years, harkening back to the 1999 - 2002 and 1989 - 1994 timeframes. These are guys who can really make an IMPACT in the Association soon, hopefully shutting up some of the critics in that department.

As for the comment re. " ...We have Thornton why not take the better of the two. Not sure who that is because I have not seen either play in person, but I don't think that it matters who is willing to stay longer... " 'disagree a little b/c I think the general impression is that QC is a bit more talented (and certainly more highly rated out of HS) than TT. Most observers would probably anticipate QC starting over TT in a couple of years, though both are clearly capable. But there IS a risk of losing a great starting PG and leader like Mr. Cook if we go after MK. That's why the Duke staff get paid the big bucks (and not us)!! But K has said in recent years that we'll be going after a MIX of 4-years and also super-star players going forward, as 4-year guys DO have inherent value and continuity benefits.

:D

FireOgilvie
10-31-2010, 02:19 AM
Kabongo is definitely a better prospect from an NBA scouting perspective than Cook, but I'm not sure which one would be best for Duke in the long run. I don't think it's really possible to know; it depends on how long they stay in college. I have a feeling that Kabongo is a 1-2 year player, while Cook is more like 3-4.

Here is a really good interview with MK from a few months ago:

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/07/1-on-1-with-myck-kabongo/

Oh, and for the poster in another thread saying you want someone as good as Kyrie: Kabongo said after a game in NJ this past year against Kyrie's team when his team won that he was the best PG in the state. It was a really heated game and I think he was caught up in the moment, but it's pretty interesting to look back at it:

http://videos.nj.com/star-ledger/2010/01/after_st_benedicts_tops_st_pat.html

Also, Kabongo played for the Canadian team in the FIBA Americas tournament and when he played the US he had 32 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds (and 6 TOs) on 11-15 shooting. He knows how to step up in big games. That was also the game where Austin Rivers had 35 points and was 9-12 from 3 point range. Kyrie had 12 pts, 7 assists, 3 TOs. The US won.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/usa_122_canada_89_2010_06_29.html

tommy
10-31-2010, 02:41 AM
How is his name pronounced? Is it like "Mick" or like "Mike?"

2001dukechamps
10-31-2010, 03:19 AM
How is his name pronounced? Is it like "Mick" or like "Mike?"

Mike.

Bluedevil114
10-31-2010, 04:41 AM
If you have a chance to take Myck then you jump at the chance. Even if he stays only one year then guess what Duke is known for the hub of great point guards going to the NBA like Calipari has been even though he did not have to do much with Rose and Wall. Because of that he gets guys like Teague and Knight. There will be other fish in the sea that will come just because they saw Irving, Kabongo, Curry and Rivers come through Duke.

Grabbing Myck may even help with Rodney Purvis in 2012. Coach K has been crushed over the past 10 years for not having his net big enough and now that he is going after more and it is a first come first serve, it allows us to have choices. The bench is as deep as it has been in years and this is the right move for Duke in the long run.

This will allow more talent to come through Durham and hopefully change the whole Duke to the NBA perception which we all know is still out there.

People on this board have mentioned how tight Cook and Nolan are and that is correct but Cook is also great friends with Tyler Thornton. They were on rival highschool teams but were always seen together playing ball in the summer.

Duke: A Dynasty
10-31-2010, 05:02 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/505690-is-myck-kabongo-following-austin-rivers-path-to-duke

Bleacher Report's take on the matter.

roywhite
10-31-2010, 07:25 AM
Myck Kabongo may say:

You must have misunderstood.
I don't want to go to school at Austin.
I want to go to school with Austin. :)

Faison1
10-31-2010, 07:54 AM
I definitely don't like this trend of players decommitting from their pledges. In the past couple of years, it seems to be happening quite a bit more around the country.

In regards to Duke's situation, I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but something makes me feel bad for Quinn Cook.

monkey
10-31-2010, 08:26 AM
I definitely don't like this trend of players decommitting from their pledges. In the past couple of years, it seems to be happening quite a bit more around the country.

In regards to Duke's situation, I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but something makes me feel bad for Quinn Cook.

Generally agree with this sentiment - but for the very last statement. Quinn Cook is in the driver's seat in his recruitment - if he wants to commit to Duke, presumably he can do so at any time. Not sure I see a reason to feel bad for him.

I am curious about one thing though: wasn't there a Q Cook interview where he indicated that A Rivers was recruiting him, that Rivers wanted him to be his point guard? Or am I misremembering?

sagegrouse
10-31-2010, 08:27 AM

I don't disagree with you, but maybe this is why the NCAA has official signing periods in the fall and spring and doesn't recognize unofficial commitments.

sagegrouse

wilko
10-31-2010, 09:05 AM
I'll be happy if we get one of Cook/Kabongo and the other one doesn't go to UNC.

THE one and only thing that matters in this newest recruiting saga...
As long as UNC gets hosed and we come out the better for it, job well done!

Too bad that either Cook/Kabongo arent 6'10' and a chisled 240lbs. Wonder if AR has any pals that better fit this description? He should ring them up too!

watzone
10-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Here is a two month old interview with Kabongo where he essentially followed through on what he'd do if he re-opened the process - Myck Kabongo dropped BDN a hint in September http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/will-top-prospect-myck-kabongo-re-open-his-recruitment/

1991 duke law
10-31-2010, 09:30 AM

I think that it is premature to feel bad for Quinn Cook. First, Duke has done nothing with Kabongo so it is not as if Quinn can feel "cheated on". It would appear that they have not even recruited him. Secondly, Cook has an offer from Duke on the table. Duke has shown him all the love. Duke has made it clear that they want him. Quinn as since lovingly spoken to Roy even though Roy has 12 point guards on his roster (ok, a bit of an exaggeration). Quinn has not committed to Duke and it is not clear if he will commit to Duke.

Currently, Quinn has everything that Duke can offer and Duke has done nothing to betray or disappoint Quinn. So I do not feel bad for Quinn at all.

I expect that if Quinn commits to Duke, the discussion with Kabongo to Duke will end. And while I am no expert on Cook or Kabongo, I would be happy for Quinn's commitment so that we can put an end to these discussions.

dukeimac
10-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Wow, Coach K should do as Calipari does? Those two names should never appear in the same sentence. Now Calipari is as good or even better than Coach K, such that Coach K should do as Calipari does? Wow!

Do you want Duke to be known as the place de-commits go to? With the number of Duke haters as high as it is this surely will be another reason for more haters to climb on board. I'm not sure one can defend being the place de-commits go to, kind of like saying the thief needed some place to live, why not your block?

Faison1
10-31-2010, 09:51 AM
I think that it is premature to feel bad for Quinn Cook. First, Duke has done nothing with Kabongo so it is not as if Quinn can feel "cheated on". It would appear that they have not even recruited him. Secondly, Cook has an offer from Duke on the table. Duke has shown him all the love. Duke has made it clear that they want him. Quinn as since lovingly spoken to Roy even though Roy has 12 point guards on his roster (ok, a bit of an exaggeration). Quinn has not committed to Duke and it is not clear if he will commit to Duke.

Currently, Quinn has everything that Duke can offer and Duke has done nothing to betray or disappoint Quinn. So I do not feel bad for Quinn at all.

I expect that if Quinn commits to Duke, the discussion with Kabongo to Duke will end. And while I am no expert on Cook or Kabongo, I would be happy for Quinn's commitment so that we can put an end to these discussions.

I guess I feel a little better about Quinn. Still, I'm not exactly thrilled to have Duke be a part of all this. I would have to imagine it stretches relationships within the coaching fraternity. But recruiting has always had its dark side, I suppose.

Duvall
10-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Wow, Coach K should do as Calipari does? Those two names should never appear in the same sentence. Now Calipari is as good or even better than Coach K, such that Coach K should do as Calipari does? Wow!

Do you want Duke to be known as the place de-commits go to? With the number of Duke haters as high as it is this surely will be another reason for more haters to climb on board. I'm not sure one can defend being the place de-commits go to, kind of like saying the thief needed some place to live, why not your block?

Well, this is very much wrong.

Ending a verbal commitment isn't a crime, it's a teenager changing his mind. Players should be able to choose the school that is best for them and for their future development. If they decide that school is Duke, so much the better.

Bluedevil114
10-31-2010, 09:55 AM

I disagree.

Noone is comparing the coaching abilities of Calipari and Coach K. Hands down Coach K is the greatest coach in sports today.

Kentucky is the hot choice for top point guards and that is because they have the coach that previously was able to get guys like Rose, Wall, Evans and Bledsoe to the NBA after one year.

Now with a Fourth National Championship, Kyrie Irving choosing Duke and coaching the USA Team to two recent gold medals allows Duke to be a hot spot. Must take advantage of it.

Rivers chose Florida quickly and then realized that he should have taken more visits. Nothing wrong with that. It happens all the time. Did someone steal Carrick and Tyler Adams from us?

Duke has and will always have haters because you hate teams that ALWAYS have winning traditions and can do it with so many different styles of play.

You either love the Yankees and Cowboys or you hate them. By the way I hate them both.

Enjoy these times at Duke. We supposively had a staff we were picking apart a couple years ago that recruiting has passed them by. Amazing what championships and consistent winning will do to get your name back on top.

watzone
10-31-2010, 09:58 AM

Ending a verbal commitment isn't a crime, it's a teenager changing his mind. Players should be able to choose the school that is best for them and for their future development. If they decide that school is Duke, so much the better.

This has been going on in college football recruiting for years. It will become more of a trend in college hoops in that kids are starting to give verbals so early.

ajgoodfella7
10-31-2010, 09:58 AM

Yep, you can't really blame teenagers for changing their minds. Duke has a ton of recruiting momentum right now and its not like Duke is known as a place where de-commits go. It was just a perfect storm this year in that Austin really had his heart set on Duke, and Austin and Myck are best friends so it would only make sense they would like to play together. Not saying it will happen, but I think this is a major reason if it does happen.

And on the subject of people thinking badly of Duke for taking in 2 de-commits, I would say who cares because everyone already hates us anyway. This is likely a one time thing and not any kind of pattern.

roywhite
10-31-2010, 10:06 AM

Exactly. This is from the ESPN article that was linked to the front page story.

Kabongo committed to Texas in January 2009 when he was a student at St. Benedict's. The native of Canada now attends Findlay Prep in Nevada and is ranked No. 8 overall and the No. 2-ranked point guard.

So, here's a kid that announced a college choice in the middle of his sophomore season. Since then, he's gone to a different school and played in a number of events, including his school, AAU, and international competitions. Now, approaching his senior season, Myck wants to carefully make a good college choice.

Even for regular students, don't college preferences often change from their sophomore year to the fall of their senior year?

SuperTurkey
10-31-2010, 10:29 AM
With the number of Duke haters as high as it is this surely will be another reason for more haters to climb on board.

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/044/778/original/hatersgonnacat.jpg?1269800767

Let 'em.

SuperTurkey
10-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Even for regular students, don't college preferences often change from their sophomore year to the fall of their senior year?

College preferences often change from fall of their senior year to spring of their senior year.

cbros
10-31-2010, 10:33 AM
From what I have read this morning Cook is starting to cool, so Kabonog could slide right in.

However am I in the minority in the fact that this is the first time I have heard of Kabongo? Where did this come from? Any details on this guy would be much appreciated.

devildeac
10-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Exactly. This is from the ESPN article that was linked to the front page story.

So, here's a kid that announced a college choice in the middle of his sophomore season. Since then, he's gone to a different school and played in a number of events, including his school, AAU, and international competitions. Now, approaching his senior season, Myck wants to carefully make a good college choice.

Plus, we are not "poaching" these guys. If our staff was openly behaving like Cal and ol' roy re: Terence Jones and Delvon Roe, IIRC, then we would have reason to be upset. Instead, our name gets entered on the list of potential schools that are recruiting the young man, we put our best foot forward (and, as K said, it's a pretty good foot right now:D), and then the recruit makes his choice. And, if we get the commit like with Irving and Rivers, great. If we don't or they de-commit like Felix and Adams, then we move to our next target.

dchen09
10-31-2010, 10:49 AM
People having issues with Kabongo potentially being another one and done have to remember, for a long time we were recruiting Quincy Miller. He was even more likely to be one and one than Kabongo. Also from an article on rivals (sorry I couldn't find it now), unlike some previous classes where without the one and one rule, we'd probably be seeing several recruits jump to the NBA regularly, the 2011 class doesn't seem to be that immediately talented. We'd probably see more players choose to play in college anyways, whether for 1 or 2 years or possibly more.

sandinmyshoes
10-31-2010, 10:51 AM
While it might end up helping Duke twice in the span of about a year, I cannot help but dislike this trend toward basketball verbals being worth no more than football verbals. Right now, it seems most basketball coaches wait until a decommit to start openly recruiting players who have pledged elsewhere, it looks as if in a few years even that will fall by the wayside.

airowe
10-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Do you want Duke to be known as the place de-commits go to?

I'd rather Duke be the best place where de-commits go than the place that recruits de-commits but can't actually get them to come (*cough* unc *cough*).

Don't act like Duke has done anything under handed here or have done anything that unc or any other school who is on the list for these de-commits have done.

If a kid is not committed to a school, he's fair game...

G man
10-31-2010, 12:16 PM
I'd rather Duke be the best place where de-commits go than the place that recruits de-commits but can't actually get them to come (*cough* unc *cough*).

Don't act like Duke has done anything under handed here or have done anything that unc or any other school who is on the list for these de-commits have done.

If a kid is not committed to a school, he's fair game...

I agree it's not like we are actively recruiting these guys after they committed. They have either reached out to Duke or de-committed. Two reasons all of these guys mention Duke when they open things up is Duke is really hot right now in the recruiting world, and two it does not hurt to mention that you are interested in elite programs. I just think we need to embrace the great recruiting that is being done right now.

InSpades
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
From looking at the clip he would be a joy to watch in a Blue Devil uniform. However... he also looks like exactly what UNC has been lacking since Ty Lawson left. That lightning quick gaurd who can dish it with the best of them. It'll be a pleasure to watch him play anywhere not wearing baby blue.

Also I find it somewhat interesting that everyone talks about getting Kabongo or Cook... what happens if Kyrie doesn't leave? I know everyone expects him to leave but with the NBA lockout being a very real possibility I could see some guys staying an extra year when they normally wouldn't otherwise. Not to mention if (god forbid) Duke doesn't win a championship I could see Kyrie wanting to come back to win one with Austin. Does getting either of those 2 go out the window if Kyrie sticks around?

gam7
10-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Yep, you can't really blame teenagers for changing their minds. Duke has a ton of recruiting momentum right now and its not like Duke is known as a place where de-commits go. It was just a perfect storm this year in that Austin really had his heart set on Duke, and Austin and Myck are best friends so it would only make sense they would like to play together. Not saying it will happen, but I think this is a major reason if it does happen.

And on the subject of people thinking badly of Duke for taking in 2 de-commits, I would say who cares because everyone already hates us anyway. This is likely a one time thing and not any kind of pattern.

Miles Plumlee also decommitted from Stanford to come here.

Also, I agree whole-heartedly with Airowe's post above.

Kedsy
10-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Does getting either of those 2 go out the window if Kyrie sticks around?

I don't see why it would. Kyle and Nolan are probably be the top two players in minutes received on the team this year. Their minutes could transfer to Austin and Myck/Quinn with some to spare for Mike Gb. Minutes would obviously get tight with 11 or 12 players who deserve starter or at least solid rotation minutes, but I don't know how much it would affect the top stars.

A starting lineup of Kyrie, Myck, Austin (at SF), Miles, and Mason -- with Ryan, Seth, and Andre (plus Josh, Tyler, and Mike Gb) coming off the bench (I assume in this scenario, Marshall would not play many minutes unless one of the other bigs got injured or in foul trouble) -- would be a pretty potent one.

AlaskanAssassin
10-31-2010, 01:44 PM
A starting lineup of Kyrie, Myck, Austin (at SF), Miles, and Mason -- with Ryan, Seth, and Andre (plus Josh, Tyler, and Mike Gb) coming off the bench (I assume in this scenario, Marshall would not play many minutes unless one of the other bigs got injured or in foul trouble) -- would be a pretty potent one.

If that's the case, not many people will be happy. Besides, I don't think K would let Curry still come off the bench with the experience that he will have. Also, if Mike Gb doesn't get much minutes, I see him transferring (he already felt left out for not being recognized by the crazies). It would be a dilemma.

If Kyrie stays, QC/Kabongo would be coming off the bench.

Orange&BlackSheep
10-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Miles Plumlee also decommitted from Stanford to come here.

Also, I agree whole-heartedly with Airowe's post above.

Completely different situation.

Lord Ash
10-31-2010, 01:58 PM
If that's the case, not many people will be happy. Besides, I don't think K would let Curry still come off the bench with the experience that he will have. Also, if Mike Gb doesn't get much minutes, I see him transferring (he already felt left out for not being recognized by the crazies). It would be a dilemma.

Where did this come from? I have not heard anything like that... in fact, I heard that the "Crazies didn't give EVERYONE a chant" specifically did NOT come from Mike.

And I doubt he would transfer after his freshman year, knowing who he has on the team with him, in order to sit a year in order to play elsewhere. Mike would see that he would have Kyrie, Austin, and Myck in front of him, with all the backup minutes available at the SF and possibly even the PF spot, and knowing that from his sophomore year on he would be getting starting minutes at Duke.

I am not even sure where that idea would come from.

Kedsy
10-31-2010, 02:00 PM

You could be right about Seth starting. It would depend on how good Kabongo is (I've never seen him play). A lineup of Kyrie/Seth/Austin/Mason/Miles would be pretty good, too. Especially with the talent we'd have coming off the bench in that case (Ryan, Myck/Quinn, Andre, Mike Gb, Tyler, Josh). No matter how you slice it, having eleven players of this talent level is going to cause a minutes squeeze (and this is assuming Marshall isn't ready to contribute immediately).

On the other hand, it would be a good problem to have. I don't think the possibility of Kyrie staying for his sophomore year is a valid reason not to recruit Myck Kabongo or Quinn Cook.

airowe
10-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Also, if Mike Gb doesn't get much minutes, I see him transferring (he already felt left out for not being recognized by the crazies).

That was not Gbinije, as Lord Ash said.

DevilHorns
10-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Wow I go away for a few days and Myck de-commits.

If UNC, UK, and Syracuse are our only true competition, UNC will have senior LDII and sophomore Kendall Marshall already, UK will have Teague and Lamb, and Cuse Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche. Meanwhile, odds are Kyrie is gone after a year.

In terms of availability for playing time... Duke seems to be the obvious choice for the kid. He'll have Seth or a 2nd year Thornton competing with him for starter minutes (unless Quinn commits of course).

The popcorn is popping. I feel good about Myck.

Duke: A Dynasty
10-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Does getting either of those 2 go out the window if Kyrie sticks around?

Why should it? Look who is on Kabongo's list:

Kentucky- Only pg rated higher than him in 2011 is Teague who they have and if there is a lockout then Knight stays as well

Unc- Marshall and Drew II are both on the roster and are not going to jump to the nba. Myck is of better caliber than they are but minutes would be scarce.

Texas- Kind of rare to go back to who you decommited from

Syracuse- Arn't they kind of the outside team looking in in this situation, I have never heard him talk much about them. Someone please inform me on them.

Duke- We got Thornton who Myck would start over. We also got KI if there is a lockout but Myck would be first off the bench to run point so kind of like Kentucky but Myck would get more pt.

texas
10-31-2010, 03:53 PM
this is all mack brown's fault (half kidding). man, it's tough times to be a texas fan. no real scoop yet from our side on all of this. i assume this had to do with our implosion last season and barnes squabbling with the players.

if there is any info, gerry h might post it here:

http://texas.247sports.com/Board/21/On-Myck-Kabongo-decommitment-218717/1

gam7
10-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Completely different situation.

True, the circumstances surrounding Miles's decommitment were different (just like the circumstances surrounding Austin's and Myck's decommitments are different), but the facts remain that (1) Miles decommitted from another school and (2) he then decided to come to Duke. Duke haters could make the argument that there is more of a pattern here than than the poster to whom I was responding suggested.

Of course, one could reasonably discount Miles's decommitment with the argument that young man-children who ride unicycles are inherently suspicious and untrustworthy, sort of like magicians and mimes. This argument makes perfect sense to me, so I am therefore willing to accept that Miles's decommitment should be viewed entirely differently from Austin's and Mike's. :)

jimsumner
10-31-2010, 06:20 PM

Duke- We got Thornton who Myck would start over. We also got KI if there is a lockout but Myck would be first off the bench to run point so kind of like Kentucky but Myck would get more pt.

Nobody is guaranteed a starting spot at Duke. But Duke is giving Seth Curry plenty of work at the point in practice this season and he will be given a legit opportunity to start at that position next season. By that point (no pun intended), he will have earned that opportunity.

Maybe you could go with a Kabongo, Curry, Rivers perimeter line-up. But that excludes Dawkins and Gbinjie, who right now project to share the 3 next season.

Does Kabongo think of himself as a one-and-done replacement for Irving? If so, then I'm not sure this would work. If he's willing to stick around for awhile, then that's a different story.

Greg_Newton
10-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Nobody is guaranteed a starting spot at Duke. But Duke is giving Seth Curry plenty of work at the point in practice this season and he will be given a legit opportunity to start at that position next season. By that point (no pun intended), he will have earned that opportunity.

Maybe you could go with a Kabongo, Curry, Rivers perimeter line-up. But that excludes Dawkins and Gbinjie, who right now project to share the 3 next season.

Does Kabongo think of himself as a one-and-done replacement for Irving? If so, then I'm not sure this would work. If he's willing to stick around for awhile, then that's a different story.

I think your last paragraph will be the most important thing to watch as this unfolds. Rivers, Curry, Kabongo, Dawkins, Gbinije and Thornton would be an absolutely terrifying 2-deep depth chart for the 1-3 positions, but even 20 minutes of playing time would be by no means guaranteed. However, from his repeated comments about just wanted to be around talent and have the chance to win a championship, I suppose it's possible he'd want to join the crew, guarantees or not. And if he's willing to come in, work hard, and simply be another weapon in a devastating arsenal, then look out.

Seems like we're in a pretty great situation regardless. Getting Kabongo would be great, as he's another top 10, elite physical talent. Getting Cook would be great, as he's a great 4-year prospect and just seems like a great person to have in your program. But even if we get neither, we'll still be very well off at PG with a junior Seth Curry and sophomore Tyler Thornton.

Double DD
10-31-2010, 09:11 PM

Kentucky- Only pg rated higher than him in 2011 is Teague who they have and if there is a lockout then Knight stays as well

Unc- Marshall and Drew II are both on the roster and are not going to jump to the nba. Myck is of better caliber than they are but minutes would be scarce.

Texas- Kind of rare to go back to who you decommited from

Syracuse- Arn't they kind of the outside team looking in in this situation, I have never heard him talk much about them. Someone please inform me on them.

Kabongo is from Toronto so Syracuse is the closest thing to Homestate U. I would guess they were one of the earlier teams to start recruiting him.

Starter
11-01-2010, 01:14 AM
I went to that St. Pat's-St. Ben's game, and Kabongo is totally the real deal. He and Kyrie went toe-to-toe in a game where whoever had the ball last was probably going to win, which was Kabongo. It looked like a high school version of Chris Paul vs. Deron Williams. I don't care how long he stays, I'd welcome Kabongo to Duke in a heartbeat.

That said, as someone brought up, what if Kyrie doesn't want to go? Kyrie's sort of a fun-loving kid, like a Nolan, and I can't picture him rushing out the door, though things do change. After Kabongo's rather pointed comments following that game about being better than Kyrie, I can't see them being on each other's Christmas list, much less wanting to share a backcourt. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

tommy
11-01-2010, 01:37 AM

This thing feels to me something like this:

Duke is like a stud guy with everything going for him. Lots of girls would kill to be with him. He's been dating a girl for a long time. Loves her even. Is she a drop-dead knockout? No, but she's very solid, at least a 7, maybe even an 8 on a good day in some people's minds. She's the marrying type. She's like Quinn Cook. You can be very happy together and do great things together for a long time.

He asks her to marry him, and he fully and reasonably expects her to quickly say yes.

She hesitates. She says that while she loves him she just needs a little time to think about it.

He's a bit taken aback, but OK with giving her the time, because he really does love her.

A little time passes, and no answer, and then what do you know? An absolute hottie, like a 9 or even a 10 on some people's scales, breaks up with her longtime boyfriend. She starts to send out feelers with her friends that she maybe kinda sorta likes that guy Duke, and wonders if he'd be interested if things are a little shaky with his longtime girl.

Now Duke has some thinking to do. Is this hottie the marrying type? Maybe, maybe not. But do I care right now? Look at her. And look at me. I've got it going on too. She could maybe make me happy for a long time, but I know for sure she could make me happy for awhile. I could give it a try and see what happens. I could go out once or twice and see if that speeds my girlfriend's decision up once she seems me out with the new chick. Sure, it could mean she goes the other way and starts dating that other dude that I can't stand (that's UNC) but maybe she was gonna do that anyway, right? Isn't that why she didn't say yes to me right away anyway, cuz she was still holding out for the possibility that the other guy might still be interested in her? What if I start dating the new chick and I like her? And then the longtime girl comes back and says, "I don't know what I was thinking. Of course I want to marry you! Gimme that ring!" Then what would I do?

As the Recruiting World Turns . . .

tommy
11-01-2010, 02:09 AM
this is all mack brown's fault (half kidding). man, it's tough times to be a texas fan. no real scoop yet from our side on all of this. i assume this had to do with our implosion last season and barnes squabbling with the players.

if there is any info, gerry h might post it here:

http://texas.247sports.com/Board/21/On-Myck-Kabongo-decommitment-218717/1

I checked a couple of Texas fan sites/message boards etc. Not sure how much those are worth, but the clear majority opinions are that that Kabongo will end up back at UT (which seems unlikely to me, and more like wishful thinking) or at Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
11-01-2010, 08:28 AM

That's my position as well, especially since we already have Austin Rivers. Looking at the roster, who would potentially leave in 2012?

Austin Rivers
Myck Kabongo
Miles Plumlee (Senior, has to leave)
Mason Plumlee (if he stays past this year)
Kyrie Irving (if he stays past this year, which would also help keep MK around longer since he would assumingly be coming off the bench)
Andre Dawkins (I think he's a 4 year guy, but he's gonna have the potential to leave by 2012)

So worst case scenario, that's a lot of team to have to replace. Even moderate case I think Austin and both Plumlees are gone. Like I pointed out, if Kyrie is here then it would be harder for Kabongo to showcase his talents for draft status if he's coming off the bench. If Kyrie is gone, then that potentially is 2 years in a row we lose our point guard, and that would be tough to swallow.

Bluedevil114
11-01-2010, 08:44 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=1017406&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2 %2f1017406.html

Where do we currently stand with Quinn Cook if he is now adding UNC to his list of schools when supposively he was down to UCLA, Duke and Villanova. Did Roy give Quinn an offer? I have not heard of that yet.

wilko
11-01-2010, 08:45 AM
This thing feels to me something like this:

Duke is like a stud guy with everything going for him. Lots of girls would kill to be with him. He's been dating a girl for a long time. Loves her even. Is she a drop-dead knockout? No, but she's very solid, at least a 7, maybe even an 8 on a good day in some people's minds. She's the marrying type. She's like Quinn Cook. You can be very happy together and do great things together for a long time.

He asks her to marry him, and he fully and reasonably expects her to quickly say yes.

She hesitates. She says that while she loves him she just needs a little time to think about it.

He's a bit taken aback, but OK with giving her the time, because he really does love her.

A little time passes, and no answer, and then what do you know? An absolute hottie, like a 9 or even a 10 on some people's scales, breaks up with her longtime boyfriend. She starts to send out feelers with her friends that she maybe kinda sorta likes that guy Duke, and wonders if he'd be interested if things are a little shaky with his longtime girl.

Now Duke has some thinking to do. Is this hottie the marrying type? Maybe, maybe not. But do I care right now? Look at her. And look at me. I've got it going on too. She could maybe make me happy for a long time, but I know for sure she could make me happy for awhile. I could give it a try and see what happens. I could go out once or twice and see if that speeds my girlfriend's decision up once she seems me out with the new chick. Sure, it could mean she goes the other way and starts dating that other dude that I can't stand (that's UNC) but maybe she was gonna do that anyway, right? Isn't that why she didn't say yes to me right away anyway, cuz she was still holding out for the possibility that the other guy might still be interested in her? What if I start dating the new chick and I like her? And then the longtime girl comes back and says, "I don't know what I was thinking. Of course I want to marry you! Gimme that ring!" Then what would I do?

As the Recruiting World Turns . . .

Then play them both... " Baby, there is enuff love here for the both of you..."
And if that doesnt fly... select the one thats loaded and press hard for that option.
You can marry more money in 5 min than you can earn in a lifetime.

gam7
11-01-2010, 11:58 AM
That's my position as well, especially since we already have Austin Rivers. Looking at the roster, who would potentially leave in 2012?

Austin Rivers
Myck Kabongo
Miles Plumlee (Senior, has to leave)
Mason Plumlee (if he stays past this year)
Kyrie Irving (if he stays past this year, which would also help keep MK around longer since he would assumingly be coming off the bench)
Andre Dawkins (I think he's a 4 year guy, but he's gonna have the potential to leave by 2012)

So worst case scenario, that's a lot of team to have to replace. Even moderate case I think Austin and both Plumlees are gone. Like I pointed out, if Kyrie is here then it would be harder for Kabongo to showcase his talents for draft status if he's coming off the bench. If Kyrie is gone, then that potentially is 2 years in a row we lose our point guard, and that would be tough to swallow.

1. If Kabongo has lottery-pick-level, one-and-done talent, whether he comes off the bench in '11-'12 is irrelevent. See Maggette, Corey and Williams, Marvin.

2. I haven't seen anything suggesting that Kabongo is likely to be one-and-done. Has anyone else?

3. We'll have continuity at the point over the next few years with Curry and Thornton.

4. As you mentioned, based on what we've seen, it's highly unlikely that Dawkins will leave early. I think Curry would be more likely to leave early than Dawkins, although I suspect that neither will leave.

CameronBornAndBred
11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
2. I haven't seen anything suggesting that Kabongo is likely to be one-and-done. Has anyone else?

I haven't either..I barely know anything about him, but a couple of posts in this thread have mentioned it.

rotogod00
11-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I haven't either..I barely know anything about him, but a couple of posts in this thread have mentioned it.

no doubt based on the fact that he's consensus top 10 from all the rating agencies

Kedsy
11-01-2010, 01:07 PM
no doubt based on the fact that he's consensus top 10 from all the rating agencies

According to RSCI he's 10th, although that's primarily due to one outlier (24th); the other services all rank him between 7th and 9th. I think at that ranking he's a possible one-and-done, but it's nowhere close to a lock (e.g., Kenny Boynton was #9 his year and he's still at Florida).

DukieBoy
11-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Is there anything other than Austin and him being friends that leads us to believe he'll come here?

First, I don't recall us recruiting him at all before this. I may be wrong as I'm not avid on recruiting

Second, are we even recruiting him now

Third, does he really want to come here? I understand the friendship angle, but that only gets you so far. I had many close friends who I considered going to school with, but made the decision that's best for me. Is Duke the best decisions for Myck?

juise
11-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Is there anything other than Austin and him being friends that leads us to believe he'll come here?

I don't know about what Duke has done to reach out to him, but the speculation in this thread is based on him listing Duke as a possibility on his short list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5745649

"I'm not opening it up to everybody but I'm going to open it to certain schools," said Kabongo. "I'll look at Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Texas and Kentucky. That's it."

airowe
11-01-2010, 01:53 PM

He's got us in his Top 5.

First, I don't recall us recruiting him at all before this. I may be wrong as I'm not avid on recruiting

Duke doesn't recruit players who are committed to other schools.

Second, are we even recruiting him now

Yes, we're in his Top 5 for a reason.

Third, does he really want to come here? I understand the friendship angle, but that only gets you so far. I had many close friends who I considered going to school with, but made the decision that's best for me. Is Duke the best decisions for Myck?

We're in his Top 5, yes I'd say he wants to come here. :D

Lord Ash
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Myck has repeatedly said very, very nice things about Duke and Coach K, even while he was committed to Texas. He is very, very close with Austin Rivers, and both have expressed an interest in playing with each other (IIRC, Austin even tweeted something right after he committed about a dream lineup at Duke, and Myck was the PG.) He has also stated he would like to be on a title contender and play with other excellent players.

Plus, and purely from my point of view, a lot of folks "in the know" seem to be saying very little right now, either about Myck or Quinn. This might be pure speculation, but it feels like maybe we can sense the seriousness of this by how carefully folks are avoiding anything that might make it seem like Myck decommitted from Texas and will commit to Duke... after all, you never want to give a sense of improper interactions with a recruit. When the "in the know" folks go quiet, it sometimes can mean someone somewhere knows something:)

DukieBoy
11-01-2010, 02:37 PM
He's got us in his Top 5.

Duke doesn't recruit players who are committed to other schools.

Yes, we're in his Top 5 for a reason.

We're in his Top 5, yes I'd say he wants to come here. :D

So to clear it all up, does he have us in his top 5? ;)

ajgoodfella7
11-01-2010, 03:16 PM
So to clear it all up, does he have us in his top 5? ;)

Yes he officially stated that we are in his top 5. I think one reason why some people think Myck will strongly consider Duke is because some analysts, including Jeff Goodman ( http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman ), have stated that they feel Kabongo may end up at Duke. Although, he does say this is based on speculation and his "gut" feeling.

Gthoma2a
11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Is anybody else feeling a little sick about the potential for Quinn announcing this week? I sort of don't want to lose either, but I don't know that it will work if we get both.

Bluedog
11-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Is anybody else feeling a little sick about the potential for Quinn announcing this week? I sort of don't want to lose either, but I don't know that it will work if we get both.

We're not getting both. No way we take two PGs in class of 2011 when Purvis is the prime target in 2012. Getting either Cook or Kakongo (with TT to back up) will be plenty enough. And Seth can play PG too. So, three PGs is more than sufficient, I'd say. I really don't understand what coaches tell the recruits in this situation. I feel like Coach K is super straight up and tells it like it is. He doesn't mess around. Obviously, they were telling Cook he was the #1 prime target and we weren't recruiting Kabongo since he was already committed. Now that Kabongo has opened it up, does the coaching staff still tell Cook the same thing? I'm sure we have high interest in Kabongo, but does anybody know if he's been officially offered? I don't know anything about him academically or personality-wise. I realize him and KI had some words at one point. In any event, to me it sounds like the coaching staff still is telling Cook that we really want him and are evaluating Kabongo as well....But I'm not an insider.

SilkyJ
11-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Now that Kabongo has opened it up, does the coaching staff still tell Cook the same thing? I'm sure we have high interest in Kabongo, but does anybody know if he's been officially offered? I don't know anything about him academically or personality-wise.

There is no way that Kabongo has an offer. We don't recruit kids that are committed -- verbally or otherwise -- to another school, so we really haven't had much of a chance to evaluate him other than maybe noticing him at some events where our other targets have been present. Coach K has certainly not met him and evaluated him, and kids don't get offers until K has signed off via in-person meeting.

That said, he's obviously very talented and we are looking for a PG in 2011, so I'm sure we'll take a look if Cook decides to go to UCLA. At this point, Cook will be making his decision in a matter of days, so the smart play is to sit tight and see what Cook decides. If he chooses Duke, I'd bet its moot and we don't go after MK. If QC chooses the Bruins, then I'd bet we push hard for MK.

Duke of Nashville
11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
We're not getting both. No way we take two PGs in class of 2011 when Purvis is the prime target in 2012. Getting either Cook or Kakongo (with TT to back up) will be plenty enough. And Seth can play PG too. So, three PGs is more than sufficient, I'd say. I really don't understand what coaches tell the recruits in this situation. I feel like Coach K is super straight up and tells it like it is. He doesn't mess around. Obviously, they were telling Cook he was the #1 prime target and we weren't recruiting Kabongo since he was already committed. Now that Kabongo has opened it up, does the coaching staff still tell Cook the same thing? I'm sure we have high interest in Kabongo, but does anybody know if he's been officially offered? I don't know anything about him academically or personality-wise. I realize him and KI had some words at one point. In any event, to me it sounds like the coaching staff still is telling Cook that we really want him and are evaluating Kabongo as well....But I'm not an insider.

I thought Muhammad and Murphy were our prime targets in 2012?

Bluedog
11-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I thought Muhammad and Murphy were our prime targets in 2012?

Well, #1 PG target. ;) From the writings on the wall, it seems like people think Muhammad is more of a long-shot now (and leaning towards UNC), while Murphy has Duke as his leader now. It's a bit confusing because Purvis just re-classified to 2012. So, Murphy was #1 in 2012 and Purvis #1 in 2013 from Duke's perspective, I'd say....Just Purvis had another year previously so we probably hadn't put on the full press yet like we've already done for Murphy and Muhammad. But Purvis is ridiculously good.

This rotating PGs recruiting and guys seeing where other guys go is really crazy. Some people on here seem lukewarm on Cook now (a STARK difference from just a couple weeks ago) because that pretty much eliminates our chances for Kabongo. But if we get Kabongo, that probably diminishes the chances we get Purvis the next year (I don't see Kabongo as one-and-done, possibly two, but who knows). So, you could use the same logic saying we don't "want" Kabongo because that hurts our chances with Purvis. Personally, I want Cook. He's a five-star prospect for a reason and will provide great solid leadership over four years. Yeah, maybe he's not lightning quick like Kabongo, but we might add a lightning fast PG in Purvis the next year. In any event, too many variables. I'd rather just have an elite PG locked up now, especially one of Cook's character.

D.C. Devil
11-01-2010, 05:09 PM
There is no way that Kabongo has an offer. We don't recruit kids that are committed -- verbally or otherwise -- to another school, so we really haven't had much of a chance to evaluate him other than maybe noticing him at some events where our other targets have been present. Coach K has certainly not met him and evaluated him, and kids don't get offers until K has signed off via in-person meeting.

That said, he's obviously very talented and we are looking for a PG in 2011, so I'm sure we'll take a look if Cook decides to go to UCLA. At this point, Cook will be making his decision in a matter of days, so the smart play is to sit tight and see what Cook decides. If he chooses Duke, I'd bet its moot and we don't go after MK. If QC chooses the Bruins, then I'd bet we push hard for MK.

What about the Rivers situation, though, where Austin "opened up" his recruiting to Duke and others while still remaining verbally committed to Florida? And even before then, IIRC, Duke had contact with Rivers (which may or may not have risen to the level of "recruitment".

It doesn't seem realistic that MK would be able to list his five finalists at the same time that he decommits unless he's had some contact with those programs that have helped to shape his thinking. I suppose it's possible, though.

SilkyJ
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
What about the Rivers situation, though, where Austin "opened up" his recruiting to Duke and others while still remaining verbally committed to Florida? And even before then, IIRC, Duke had contact with Rivers (which may or may not have risen to the level of "recruitment".

I'm hardly an insider, but its my recollection that once Austin opened his recruitment we then started speaking with him, and not before. I also believe that he contacted us, not the other way around. Those are two important points in my mind.

It doesn't seem realistic that MK would be able to list his five finalists at the same time that he decommits unless he's had some contact with those programs that have helped to shape his thinking. I suppose it's possible, though.

Makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if he reached out to the staffs at the other 4 schools he mentioned. If he initiated contact and asked for some feedback, like, "would you guys be interested in recruiting me if I re-opened my recruitment?" that's very different than us initiating contact.

Lord Ash
11-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Silk, just a note; I am SURE that Duke has evaluated and researched Myck an AWFUL lot. I don't think there is a lot to his game that they DON'T know. A program like Duke I would imagine scouts a LOT of the best players before focusing on a few. Personality would be maybe the one thing that there is left to really look into, and from all reports Myck is a really stellar kid... in fact, his attitude is frequently considered one of his strongest assets.

SilkyJ
11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Silk, just a note; I am SURE that Duke has evaluated and researched Myck an AWFUL lot. I don't think there is a lot to his game that they DON'T know. A program like Duke I would imagine scouts a LOT of the best players before focusing on a few. Personality would be maybe the one thing that there is left to really look into, and from all reports Myck is a really stellar kid... in fact, his attitude is frequently considered one of his strongest assets.

That's actually an excellent point. Thanks for pointing out.

I wonder how long its been since we took a serious look at him, though. Hasn't he been verbally committed to Texas for a while?

ajgoodfella7
11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
That's actually an excellent point. Thanks for pointing out.

I wonder how long its been since we took a serious look at him, though. Hasn't he been verbally committed to Texas for a while?

Since January of 2009. I don't think it would take any of the schools long to evaluate him talent-wise if in fact they were interested in him. But I can't say with 100% certainty which schools he's talked to and which are interested.

Gorilla
11-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I find it funny that kyries motto is "humble and hungry" and now myck had tve same phrase up on his twitter page.

Also myck and kyrie are basically the same players with myck being a little bit more athletic. Myck will see how kyrie is used in dukes offense and that has to be an advantage.

airowe
11-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Also myck and kyrie are basically the same players with myck being a little bit more athletic.

What do you base this statement on? Have you seen them both play multiple times?

Every scout I trust would vehemently disagree with this statement.

Bluedevil114
11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
What do you base this statement on? Have you seen them both play multiple times?

Do you feel Duke will try to get Myck and Quinn or is it first come first serve?

ajgoodfella7
11-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Personally I have to agree with airowe. I think Kyrie is the more talented point guard, athletic-wise and basketball IQ-wise. I think Myck is a very talented player too, maybe a bit flashier then Kyrie, but I think he is a little below him as far as talent.

SilkyJ
11-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Do you feel Duke will try to get Myck and Quinn or is it first come first serve?

Its not definitely not first-come first-serve. Quinn has a scholly offer and has had one for a while. Coach K isn't going to all of a sudden make it a conditional scholly. Not how we roll.

Bluedog
11-01-2010, 05:56 PM

How could it be first come first serve if we haven't even offered Myck? It sounds like the ball is in Quinn's court. If he comes, great! We'll know in a week supposedly. If he doesn't, Duke will most likely go after Myck. At least, that's what I've gleaned from the information out there.

Edit: ^What Silky said.

Gorilla
11-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Yes i have seen both of them play on many of occassions. Let me rephrase what i said. They are similar players. Myck has more flash to his game kyrie is more under controlled.

roywhite
11-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I find it funny that kyries motto is "humble and hungry" and now myck had tve same phrase up on his twitter page.

Also myck and kyrie are basically the same players with myck being a little bit more athletic. Myck will see how kyrie is used in dukes offense and that has to be an advantage.

Well....if we're choosing up squads, I'll choose Kyrie and you can take Myck. Just my opinion, but Kyrie handles better, drives better, and makes fewer mistakes. Or did you just mean that each performs the same general role for a team?

We'll see how things play out; no inside info, but I'd be surprised to see Myck come to Duke.

airowe
11-01-2010, 06:09 PM

Echoing what SilkyJ said, Duke has a scholarship offer out to one of those two players, who will decide this week.

dchen09
11-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Myck has also said there's a 60% chance of him waiting until spring to sign.

DMV2434
11-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Echoing what SilkyJ said, Duke has a scholarship offer out to one of those two players, who will decide this week.

Does this mean no Myck if Quinn Commits?

D.C. Devil
11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Does this mean no Myck if Quinn Commits?

Wow . . . bizarro me.

If either signs, we would have enough scholarships for the other to sign as well. But it would probably be a poor use of those scholarships, as the signing of any one top flight 2011 PG means that our relative need for that class or the next one would be in the front court.

dcar1985
11-01-2010, 07:28 PM

u must have not seen either play much....KI is way more explosive than MK and a much better scorer, while MK might have a slightly better handle (definitely flashier) and is a better passer

dcar1985
11-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Maybe im off but I just dont see Quinn in a UCLA uniform, so the fact that hes set to announce this week kind of deads all the MK talk to me, because I dont see us landing both, and to most Quinn to Duke has been pretty much a done deal for a min now....Maybe Quinn wanted to stretch things out for a min just to see if some other school had something new that would draw his attention away from Duke but now that MK has decommitted and there's all this talk about MK teaming up w/ AR he's ready to pull the trigger on a decision that's been made for maybe quite a while.

ajgoodfella7
11-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Maybe im off but I just dont see Quinn in a UCLA uniform, so the fact that hes set to announce this week kind of deads all the MK talk to me, because I dont see us landing both, and to most Quinn to Duke has been pretty much a done deal for a min now....Maybe Quinn wanted to stretch things out for a min just to see if some other school had something new that would draw his attention away from Duke but now that MK has decommitted and there's all this talk about MK teaming up w/ AR he's ready to pull the trigger on a decision that's been made for maybe quite a while.

I completely agree. I expect when Quinn enrolls in classes next year he will do so wearing Duke blue. After thinking about it the past few nights, I think that I would prefer Quinn to Myck for the simple fact that he seems like a steadier player. I think he will have the opportunity to grow into a fantastic "true" PG in a few years. So here's hoping that we will get some more great news this week.

ajgoodfella7
11-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Interesting Jason Jordan article on the whole Cook/Kabongo situation. Also interesting that Cook says Carolina told him they couldn't offer him because they had Drew and Marshall on the roster. When Kabongo de-committed, Carolina tried to get in with Cook. Looks like it might be too late for them though, thankfully.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/11/kabongo-de-commits-from-texas-cook-down-to-two/

DevilHorns
11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Some questions:

1) Has Duke officially offered Kabongo? From my internet searching, the answer is no.

2) It is clear the Kabongo is interested in Duke. Is Duke mutually interested in Kabongo? Has Duke ever been interested in / recruited Kabongo?

3) If Quinn doesn't sign with Duke in the near term, do all signs point towards Duke offering Kabongo soon? The staff has made it clear that their recruiting tactics have changed from pinpointing a few to casting a wider net. IMO, if Quinn doesn't select soon, it would be wise for us to step into the Kabongo recruitment for more reasons than simply missing out on a top recruit (that reason being he may go to UNC, supplying Roy with that quick PG that we generally fear).

I would love to have Quinn, and I admire our staff's approach for maintaining him as our priority for a PG recruit. In many ways, Quinn is a better fit for Duke as he is multi-year player with a strong preexisting connection to our team and, from all I have read, an exceptional person and natural leader. Myck, I have read a lot less about, but from the videos of him I have seen, he's very creative and quick on the floor, and from what I've read in terms of rankings, his talent ceiling appears to be higher. Both are exceptional players and I believe either would be assets to our program.

This is recruiting, and both parties have roles to play. Quinn has taken his time looking at his options though many believed he would commit very soon after CTC (and this is not a knock on Quinn, this is an incredibly important decision to make, and he has every right to take the time he needs). Though I do agree that it's not right to dump your prom-date for the new girl the night before the big dance, the analogy only fits half-way in this case. Quinn (the prom-date) has been seriously considering other places, as any recruit should, and in that light, it would be wrong for us to be a step behind on the recruitment of Kabongo if our staff is indeed interested in him. In other words, I would love to have either of them, I just don't want to be stuck in the position with neither of them (obviously, this wouldn't be devastating as we'd have Thornton and Curry to play the 1, but I would still like a 5-star PG from this class).

dcar1985
11-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Some questions:

1) Has Duke officially offered Kabongo? From my internet searching, the answer is no.

2) It is clear the Kabongo is interested in Duke. Is Duke mutually interested in Kabongo? Has Duke ever been interested in / recruited Kabongo?

3) If Quinn doesn't sign with Duke in the near term, do all signs point towards Duke offering Kabongo soon? The staff has made it clear that their recruiting tactics have changed from pinpointing a few to casting a wider net. IMO, if Quinn doesn't select soon, it would be wise for us to step into the Kabongo recruitment for more reasons than simply missing out on a top recruit (that reason being he may go to UNC, supplying Roy with that quick PG that we generally fear).

I would love to have Quinn, and I admire our staff's approach for maintaining him as our priority for a PG recruit. In many ways, Quinn is a better fit for Duke as he is multi-year player with a strong preexisting connection to our team and, from all I have read, an exceptional person and natural leader. Myck, I have read a lot less about, but from the videos of him I have seen, he's very creative and quick on the floor, and from what I've read in terms of rankings, his talent ceiling appears to be higher. Both are exceptional players and I believe either would be assets to our program.

This is recruiting, and both parties have roles to play. Quinn has taken his time looking at his options though many believed he would commit very soon after CTC (and this is not a knock on Quinn, this is an incredibly important decision to make, and he has every right to take the time he needs). Though I do agree that it's not right to dump your prom-date for the new girl the night before the big dance, the analogy only fits half-way in this case. Quinn (the prom-date) has been seriously considering other places, as any recruit should, and in that light, it would be wrong for us to be a step behind on the recruitment of Kabongo if our staff is indeed interested in him. In other words, I would love to have either of them, I just don't want to be stuck in the position with neither of them (obviously, this wouldn't be devastating as we'd have Thornton and Curry to play the 1, but I would still like a 5-star PG from this class).

its been reported by just about everyone now that Quinn is set to announce this week and its between Duke and UCLA so UNCs not even in the picture. And like I said earlier, I jus dont see Quinn as a Bruin...so things should be pretty clear by the end of the week, either Quinn commits to Duke and all the MK talk stops or he goes to UCLA and we ride this MK talk out until the spring

DevilHorns
11-01-2010, 09:45 PM
its been reported by just about everyone now that Quinn is set to announce this week and its between Duke and UCLA so UNCs not even in the picture. And like I said earlier, I jus dont see Quinn as a Bruin...so things should be pretty clear by the end of the week, either Quinn commits to Duke and all the MK talk stops or he goes to UCLA and we ride this MK talk out until the spring

I realize right now that it's between UCLA and Duke as per Cook's coach. You don't see him as a Bruin? Well UCLA is a big enough draw for him to be in his top 2 so to me that equals a decent chance that he becomes a Bruin.

Is he going to verbal by the end of the week, again, that's according to his coach. Very well could be true.

I still don't know where we stand with Myck in terms of recruiting, and frankly, maybe nobody does as this is a very recent happening. As you said, this may all be a moot topic as Cook may commit in the next few days. Crossing my fingers.

jipops
11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I realize right now that it's between UCLA and Duke as per Cook's coach. You don't seem him as a Bruin? Well UCLA is a big enough draw for him to be in his top 2 so to me that equals a decent chance that he becomes a Bruin.

And UCLA offers immediate playing time.

Bluedevil114
11-02-2010, 10:25 AM
And UCLA offers immediate playing time.

I agree but his mother took him out of DeMatha High which is a great educational institute. I would know because I graduated from there. His mother felt there were too many distractions in the D.C. area and moved him out to Virginia. Just a gut feeling, he will be opting for Duke because his mother will not want him that far away.

duke blue brewcrew
11-02-2010, 11:00 AM
your wrong....mk to duke

i'm sure you meant to say, "you're" wrong. you're = you are; your = possession. sorry, can't help myself, this is a Duke board after all.

Devilsfan
11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Maybe there should be spell and grammar check on this site as it appears not everyone is a Duke English major. If I were a betting man I'd go "all in" on Cook to Duke. Just my opinion.

Bob Green
11-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Maybe there should be spell and grammar check on this site as it appears not everyone is a Duke English major. If I were a betting man I'd go "all in" on Cook to Duke. Just my opinion.

ieSpell can be dowloaded from http://iespell.com Then you utilize the "ABC with a Green checkmark" icon when drafting a message to check your spelling. Personally, being an older guy, I prefer a dictionary.

Jderf
11-02-2010, 11:16 AM
i'm sure you meant to say, "you're" wrong. you're = you are; your = possession. sorry, can't help myself, this is a Duke board after all.

Nah, I think it's more of a slang thing, right? "My bad." "Your wrong." When you've got tons and tons of inside sources you tend to start using the same language. That's how he knows with absolute confidence that MK to Duke is a "done deal," as they say often in recruiting circles with apodeictic certainty.

(Yes, this is sarcasm. ... sorry.)

SuperTurkey
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe there should be spell and grammar check on this site as it appears not everyone is a Duke English major.

Spell check isn't going to detect the difference between your and you're since both are valid words (but one is incorrect in that context). And this Duke computer science grad disagrees with the contention that you need to be an english major to know the difference. :)

SuperTurkey
11-02-2010, 11:26 AM
ieSpell can be dowloaded from http://iespell.com

And all modern browsers (Firefox, Safari, and Chrome) have spell check built in.

PSurprise
11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
I think we'll be fine with either Kabongo or Cook. I'm looking forward to one of them committing soon so we can concentrate on this season, which I'm really looking forward to!

Btw, here's a good piece on language...

A good bit on language by Stephen Fry (http://www.wimp.com/frylanguage/)

BD80
11-02-2010, 11:56 AM

What if it was intended in the same way "my bad" is used?

RelativeWays
11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
What if it was intended in the same way "my bad" is used?

Then you are arguing the particulars, like when I say it is theoretically possible to care less, thus saying "I could care less" is not really incorrect.

Cook would do fine with Duke, but I think more people fear Kabongo going to UNC, sort of like how they recruited Rivers to keep away from us. You'd love to have those players but you may not need them. You surely do not want to play against them.

moonpie23
11-02-2010, 12:52 PM

wait......could the interwebs be introducing a NEW saying?

"your wrong" as in "your bad"

my bad, your bad?

my wrong, your wrong?

:cool:
two wrongs don't make a right? (but three lefts do)

edit: should have waited till the end of the thread to reply....RELATIVE beat me to it...

my bad...

Indoor66
11-02-2010, 01:09 PM
wait......could the interwebs be introducing a NEW saying?

"your wrong" as in "your bad"

my bad, your bad?

my wrong, your wrong?

:cool:
two wrongs don't make a right? (but three lefts do)

edit: should have waited till the end of the thread to reply....RELATIVE beat me to it...

my bad...

And now two choruses of Old Blue Eyes singing "My Way"!

DevilHorns
11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I see that no one attempted to answer my questions in post #122, perhaps no one really knows the answers to those at this point.

In regards to spell-check, I use firefox and I get the red squiggly line under a word if it's misspelled. I don't think I downloaded anything extra for that? (though obviously this would miss grammar issues like "you're" and "your")

SilkyJ
11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I see that no one attempted to answer my questions in post #122, perhaps no one really knows the answers to those at this point.

No, they've been answered previously in the thread. There is a a lot of noise in the thread, however, so understandable if you only skimmed and didn't read everything. I'll try and summarize, and note I did read all the noise and am pulling out salient points from those in the know (read: airowe)

Some questions:

No. Quinn has an offer and will commit somewhere within a week or so. Once Quinn has made his decision we can then make our next move.

Quinn has been and is our main PG target from the 2011 class. PERIOD. We're not going to go offer another PG a few days before QC decides and tell him that all of a sudden his scholly offer is now a conditional scholly offer and its first-come first-serve. (see my prom date analogy earlier in the thread, which seems to have gone over well :))

Yes we are interested. But if Quinn opts for Duke, the general thought is that we will likely tell Kabongo that we are already set at the PG slot (which makes sense with QC, TT, and SC on board).

Some folks will point out that with Tyler Adams' decommittment we now have 2 open scholly's for 2011, but more informed folks will tell you several things: 1) to go after Kabongo after being on QC for so long would be disrespectful to QC after we have told him that he is the guy we want (airowe intimated that we basically told Quinn he is our guy and if he comes to Duke, we are done recruiting at PG for 2011), 2) with our wealth of backcourt options for the 2011 season and beyond, it would be smarter to use TA's scholly on a frontcourt player, and/or 3) save the scholly for 2012 where we are targeting several wing and frontcourt players (along with Purvis, who recently reclassified).

3) If Quinn doesn't sign with Duke in the near term, do all signs point towards Duke offering Kabongo soon?

That would seem to be less clear, and I wouldn't put a time-frame on offering as he JUST re-opened his recruitment and we are in the midst of getting ready for the season, but its safe to say that if QC opts for UCLA, then yes, we will start recruiting MK seriously.

But, right now everyone is pretty optimistic that Quinn will pick Duke sometime this week. Hope they're right as he would be a fantastic addition (and it would make this discussion moot).

DevilHorns
11-02-2010, 01:49 PM
No, they've been answered previously in the thread. There is a a lot of noise in the thread, however, so understandable if you only skimmed and didn't read everything. I'll try and summarize, and note I did read all the noise and am pulling out salient points from those in the know (read: airowe)

No. Quinn has an offer and will commit within a week or so. Quinn has been and is our main PG target from the 2011 class. PERIOD.

Yes we are interested. But if Quinn opts for Duke, the general thought is that we will likely tell Kabongo that we are already set at the PG slot (which makes sense with QC, TT, and SC on board)

That would seem to be less clear, and I wouldn't put a time-frame on offering as he JUST re-opened his recruitment and we are in the midst of getting ready for the season, but its safe to say that if QC opts for UCLA, then yes, we will start recruiting MK seriously.

But, right now everyone is pretty optimistic that Quinn will pick Duke sometime this week. Hope they're right as he would be a fantastic addition.

Thanks for the reply. I did try and read this whole thread and I fully admit that I may have missed some things by skimming. From what I saw on this thread earlier (read: airowe) and from what you've just stated, we haven't offered Myck as only Quinn holds the offer as of now.

In terms of questions #2 and #3, I think it makes perfect sense that Duke would be interested in Myck if Quinn opts for UCLA, I just hadn't read any info from any insiders directly stating that as fact. All the stuff I have read is that Myck is interested in us. Thanks for clearing that up.

I agree that either Quinn or Myck would be great additions to our program. Here's to hoping we hear from Quinn soon!

SilkyJ
11-02-2010, 01:52 PM
In terms of questions #2 and #3, I think it makes perfect sense that Duke would be interested in Myck if Quinn opts for UCLA, I just hadn't read any info from any insiders directly stating that as fact. All the stuff I have read is that Myck is interested in us. Thanks for clearing that up.

No worries. I thought the same thing as you and asked the same question (is Duke interested in MK) and Airowe said yes....the QC and MK threads have become a bit confusing as well as we are discussing both players in both threads, so its possibly some of the info I parsed together came from both threads...

gam7
11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Quinn has been and is our main PG target from the 2011 class. PERIOD. We're not going to go offer another PG a few days before QC decides and tell him that all of a sudden his scholly offer is now a conditional scholly offer and its first-come first-serve. (see my prom date analogy earlier in the thread, which seems to have gone over well :))

My favorite part about the prom date analogy is that you brought it to the board as a quote of yourself. Funny stuff! :)

thenameisbond
11-04-2010, 11:28 AM
he's signing w/ Texas (again) per Telep :cool:

bradvinjack
11-04-2010, 11:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5763363

Myck Kabongo recommitted to Texas.

I guess he figured that Duke wasn't a option anymore.

BD80
11-04-2010, 11:35 AM

That could indicate that Duke may be getting some good news from Quinn someday soon :cool:

But golly, shucks; where does that leave poor ol' roy? :(

superdave
11-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Silly us for trying to predict what a teenager is thinking...

CharlestonDevil
11-04-2010, 11:42 AM
But golly, shucks; where does that leave poor ol' roy? :(

It leaves him exactly where he should be, 2nd fiddle to Duke and faaaaar behind Coach K in well, everything.

wilko
11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
It leaves him exactly where he should be, 2nd fiddle to Duke and faaaaar behind Coach K in well, everything.

Dang Skippy on that!
Well .... I'm happy for MK and am now officially a fan of his. FAB u LOUS.

JasonEvans
11-04-2010, 11:56 AM
ummm- that didn't take long.

What a strange, strange story. It appears he de-committed; called a few of his choice programs (Duke, Kent, Syrac, UNC); heard that they all already had PG prospects in place; and realized that his best choice was where he had been all along.

-Jason "I do feel for the kid-- he would have gotten much better coaching at any of these other schools" Evans

Duvall
11-04-2010, 12:04 PM

What a strange, strange story. It appears he de-committed; called a few of his choice programs (Duke, Kent, Syrac, UNC); heard that they all already had PG prospects in place; and realized that his best choice was where he had been all along.

-Jason "I do feel for the kid-- he would have gotten much better coaching at any of these other schools" Evans

Would he? I don't think much of Barnes as a game coach, but he's done a reasonably good job of developing his players over the years. So there's that.

Starter
11-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Quinn Cook's hopefully going to be good. I admit to not having seen him live. But I have seen Kabongo, and I'm a little disappointed we don't get to watch this kid here. He's brash, but seems like a good kid overall, and talented enough to go toe-to-toe with Kyrie. (Kyrie is definitely better, but not by as much as you might think) I'm still looking forward to watching Myck in college, and hopefully Quinn can be solid at Duke, as Kabongo would have been superb.

dcar1985
11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
This worked out jus like I thought, didn't think he'd recommit though....I thought Quinn was a done deal a while ago, he jus wasn't ready to announce for whatever reason, MK decommits and then all the duke talk starts, I genuinely think he wanted to play w/ AR. So to kill all the talk (not out of fear for losing his spot) Quinn decides to go head and announce and dead all the rumors, Good luck to MK at TX and hopefully we welcome Quinn to Duke later today!

oldnavy
11-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Quinn Cook's hopefully going to be good. I admit to not having seen him live. But I have seen Kabongo, and I'm a little disappointed we don't get to watch this kid here. He's brash, but seems like a good kid overall, and talented enough to go toe-to-toe with Kyrie. (Kyrie is definitely better, but not by as much as you might think) I'm still looking forward to watching Myck in college, and hopefully Quinn can be solid at Duke, as Kabongo would have been superb.

Agree, but you have to be happy that he isn't going to UNC. Poor Ol Roy, these past few near misses must feel like Haiti all over again.... wonder if he has a massage appoint set up so that he can de-stress... :rolleyes:

texas
11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
you don't see this happen often but i'm glad to have MK back on board. it'd be fun to see another duke/texas matchup with MK vs Rivers.

Class of '94
11-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Yeah but I find it hard to believe that if he actually called UNC, they told him they didn't need him when Roy appeared to be trying to talk to Quinn; thus, I'm not sure how serious he was about them or if he even contacted them. And if you look at Kentucky and the fact they had Teague coming in, I'm not sure Kentucky was a serious contender either . Thus, it looked like it may have come down to Syracuse and Duke. And based on the fact that Myck apparently wanted to play with AR and Quinn announcing his decision today, I agree with the earlier post that I think Myck's recommitment back to Texas is a good indicator of where Quinn is going........IMO

Starter
11-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Agree, but you have to be happy that he isn't going to UNC. Poor Ol Roy, these past few near misses must feel like Haiti all over again.... wonder if he has a massage appoint set up so that he can de-stress... :rolleyes:

Yeah, totally agree on this. I think Roy thought he was messing with Duke again by zeroing in on another one of our top targets. It just so happened to be someone who's virtually brothers with Nolan and seemed like a Duke lock provided they wanted him.

JasonEvans
11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Would he? I don't think much of Barnes as a game coach, but he's done a reasonably good job of developing his players over the years. So there's that.

Really? Feels like most of his good players came there as good players and many of them left as quickly as possible. He has had good talent at Texas, no question about it, and Barnes is a very good recruiter. Still, I have trouble with the notion of a guy who is good at developing players but who has teams who always seem to underperform.

-Jason "when Barnes fled Clemson because he knew he could not compete, that told you all you needed to know about him" Evans

superdave
11-04-2010, 02:15 PM
"I do feel for the kid-- he would have gotten much better coaching at any of these other schools"

I feel for him because any good advisor would say "Give me three days to contact these schools to gauge their interest before you go pissing off Texas fans and your college coach."

gumbomoop
11-04-2010, 02:39 PM
I feel for him because any good advisor would say "Give me three days to contact these schools to gauge their interest before you go pissing off Texas fans and your college coach."

Whatever the real scoop, there are several factors that may allow him back in UT's good graces pretty quickly:

1. His public statement/explanation is humble, genuine; seems a good kid who admits he didn't handle it the best way. -- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5763617

2. UT coaches and fans will be able to rationalize this as, "Kid's young, best to let him make sure we're right for him, wouldn't want him here if he has doubts......" [In part, at least, this rationalizing is, well, rational.]

3. He's real good.

OldPhiKap
11-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Whatever the real scoop, there are several factors that may allow him back in UT's good graces pretty quickly:

1. His public statement/explanation is humble, genuine; seems a good kid who admits he didn't handle it the best way. -- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5763617

2. UT coaches and fans will be able to rationalize this as, "Kid's young, best to let him make sure we're right for him, wouldn't want him here if he has doubts......" [In part, at least, this rationalizing is, well, rational.]

3. He's real good.

4. It's not football.

JohnGalt
11-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Really? Feels like most of his good players came there as good players and many of them left as quickly as possible. He has had good talent at Texas, no question about it, and Barnes is a very good recruiter. Still, I have trouble with the notion of a guy who is good at developing players but who has teams who always seem to underperform.

-Jason "when Barnes fled Clemson because he knew he could not compete, that told you all you needed to know about him" Evans

Couldn't compete as far as recruiting or coaching? You'd need to be quite a coach in order to compete consistently with the players Clemson is generally accustomed to landing. Being from SC, I've grown up a Tigers fan so I'm not in any way knocking them, but I think we can all agree they don't get the talent Duke, Carolina, Wake, GaTech, State, and others get. Most agree Barnes isn't a top notch X and O guy so moving to Texas where recruiting would certainly come easier than Clemson seems to be a very reasonable move.

*Sigh* Unfortunately though it may just be the Clemson curse that got the better of Rick too. In Little John and Death Valley Clemson always seems to underperform.

kong123
11-04-2010, 03:08 PM

I do not think UNC ever recruited MK, so no big deal. Just like everyone on this board, UNC fans got excited when they considered the possibility of adding this kid. I am not sure why UNC even recruited QC since he seems to be comparable to the PG's we already have.

And I don't think Roy has missed on anyone he has really recruited hard, lately. Now, if we miss on Cody Zeller next week, that will be a big blow. Roy has really recruited CZ exceptionally hard over the last few months.

AR and MK were never recruited hard. Roy made one in-home visit and setup an OV that AR never took. Everyone knew that AR was a Duke lock for months and months. MK de-committed and re-committed in less than a week. Looks like he wanted to play with AR, but QC took the scholarship offer before MK got the chance. I would much rather see QC at Duke than MK.

CEF1959
11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Rick Barnes put a little pressure back onto MK:

"Oh, you want to talk to other schools? Sure, go ahead. Let's see, with that roster spot available.... Hmmm. I might have some calls to make too. In fact, I've got Ben McLemore and DeAndre Daniels' numbers on speed dial right here...."

Rick's a vicious little s+&t. I wouldn't put it past him.

JohnGalt
11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I do not think UNC ever recruited MK, so no big deal. Just like everyone on this board, UNC fans got excited when they considered the possibility of adding this kid. I am not sure why UNC even recruited QC since he seems to be comparable to the PG's we already have.

Something tells me there's going to be a tremendous amount of disagreement with that assertion.

CameronBornAndBred
11-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Rick's a vicious little s+&t. I wouldn't put it past him.
And I wouldn't blame him. As many said before he went back, "you don't de-commit to re-commit". In this case that turned out to not be true, but I would expect any coach in Barnes' shoes to start making some phone calls.

BD80
11-04-2010, 03:24 PM
... I am not sure why UNC even recruited QC since he seems to be comparable to the PG's we already have.

That is REALLY funny. I can see ol' roy telling the boosters pretty much the same gol' dang thing.

... I would much rather see QC at Duke than MK.

Get used to it. For FOUR years. :D

-bdbd
11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
And I don't think Roy has missed on anyone he has really recruited hard, lately. Now, if we miss on Cody Zeller next week, that will be a big blow. Roy has really recruited CZ exceptionally hard over the last few months.
AR and MK were never recruited hard. Roy made one in-home visit and setup an OV that AR never took. Everyone knew that AR was a Duke lock for months and months. MK de-committed and re-committed in less than a week. Looks like he wanted to play with AR, but QC took the scholarship offer before MK got the chance. I would much rather see QC at Duke than MK.

Wow. Though in Kong's defense he IS just being a typical Carolina fan here... In Kerlina-speak "If we didn't get him, then by definition 'we weren't recruiting him very hard.' " Most of them would have said the same thing had HB gone the other way. And Kong knows full well all of the "Insiders" at IC who were swearing that "Roy's full court press" had worked miracles again and AR was all but committed to NC@CH right up until the day he committed to Duke. Maybe not Kong, but a great many of them will say the same thing next week if a certain big-man sibling goes elsewhere.

Regardless, even if they want to pretend Roy didn't recruit them, the fact that a certain recruit who had Carolina on his list chose to go elsewhere will almost always be greeted as "good news" here.

:rolleyes: ;)

Duvall
11-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Really? Feels like most of his good players came there as good players and many of them left as quickly as possible.

Maybe. I'm thinking of guys like Dexter Pittman who went from useless at the college level to NBA players, though.

Then again, you also have to consider the fat stacks of cash Texas pays to its coaches in every sport.

SilkyJ
11-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Regardless, even if they want to pretend Roy didn't recruit them, the fact that a certain recruit who had Carolina on his list chose to go elsewhere will almost always be greeted as "good news" here.

:rolleyes: ;)

There are plenty of Duke fans who actually want Carolina to get their fair share of recruits in order to keep the rivalry competitive. Maybe not the ones we go to head-to-head for, but there's lots of fish in the seas.

Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle. I hate carolina with every essence of my being, but its still more fun to beat them when they're good.

Duvall
11-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Last year's WCAC results and honors would seem to indicate otherwise.

CharlestonDevil
11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I hate carolina with every essence of my being, but its still more fun to beat them when they're good.

To me it has nothing to do with the team. I wouldn't care if they put a middle school team on the court and we beat them by 250.

It's the arrogant fans who have to shut up when they lose that I enjoy. But "enjoy" doesn't even scratch the surface.

pacificrounder
11-04-2010, 04:49 PM
So does anyone else think that Kabongo re-opened his recruitment solely to give Duke a chance to offer him? Seems fishy to me that as soon as all the signs pointed to Duke as QC's final choice, he re-committed.

I know that we're talking about a kid -- and they are 100% entitled to change their mind, no argument there -- just wondering if UNC, 'Cuse, etc. were really ever in the picture to begin with.

Duvall
11-04-2010, 04:50 PM
So does anyone else think that Kabongo re-opened his recruitment solely to give Duke a chance to offer him?

I think everyone thinks that.

Greg_Newton
11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Whether or not UNC put much effort in MK is irrelevant to me - the fact is, he was one of the two uncommitted HS PG's I was aware of that would legitimately scare me in UNC's system. As someone else pointed out, this is probably the best possible outcome for Duke - we get one of the two, UNC gets none. And while meaningless (and makes you wonder what might have been, a little bit), it's kind of nice to know that Kabongo probably did decommit mainly in the hopes he'd end up at Duke. We're a sexy program right now.

The one thing that I think remains to be done is to fit the updated situation into a creepy metaphor that compares the recruits to sexy women. If I may:

-----

Basically, we have two guys that are a few years out of HS, Luke (Duke) and Eugune (UNC). Luke is riding high off a recent career breakthrough, and proposes to his longtime girlfriend. She tells him she loves him, but needs a few days to think about such a huge decision. Upon hearing this, the bombshell former prom queen leaves her wealthy fiancee, and tells Luke she's his if he wants her. It's tempting, but ultimately Luke doesn't want to risk what he's got with his lady and gives her her time and space. She says yes, and they live happily ever after.

In the meantime, Eugene - the former jock who is now a fat, balding alcoholic who lives in a trailer park with his 2nd wife and baby mama, Kendra and Lara - hears the news about the prom queen. Seeing as she looks just like "his type" did back in his glory days, he makes some sleazy overtures towards her. However, given that he is a shadow of his former self, she blows him off completely and returns to her old fiancee.:p

Eugune, despondent, returns to the his trailer park, and in a moment of drunken clarity, entrusts all of his earthly possessions to a traveling salesman from Iowa whom he perceives to be the second coming of the Lord and Savior himself.

What will happen next? To be continued...

SCMatt33
11-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Now that Duke officially has Cook, I'm pretty glad Kabongo went back to Texas. I'd definitely rather see him there than UNC or UK, and would probably rather him be there compared to Cuse, but not nearly as much. This is probably how I would have hand picked it.

kong123
11-04-2010, 04:57 PM
A lot of people also feel that Roy pushed the issue with QC so that he would commit to Duke before MK was offered. I know, typical UNC fans, but the timing of the whole the news of Roy going to see QC, the QC interview on Scout, the interview with Steve Smith warning Roy of QC's decision, and finally MK's re-commitment seems very interesting to me. I know, I know, typical UNC fan talking to typical Duke fans.

Kedsy
11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
A lot of people also feel that Roy pushed the issue with QC so that he would commit to Duke before MK was offered. I know, typical UNC fans, but the timing of the whole the news of Roy going to see QC, the QC interview on Scout, the interview with Steve Smith warning Roy of QC's decision, and finally MK's re-commitment seems very interesting to me. I know, I know, typical UNC fan talking to typical Duke fans.

I agree the timing is interesting, but I find it hard to believe Roy would attempt to manipulate these recruits this way. Especially since it's not clear which would be better for him (i.e., whether UNC would benefit more from Duke having QC for 3 or 4 years vs. MK for 1 or 2). But I suppose it's fun fodder for speculation.

gumbomoop
11-04-2010, 05:08 PM

Priceless! Just to make sure I understand, "a lot of people" are congratulating Roy for tricking K into pressing Cook, so K would take his mind off Kabongo, the presumptively superior PG.

K needs to quit this USA crap, for Roy is simply too good. If Duke is to have any chance over the remainder of K's years at Duke, K better damn well wake up.

My only minor disagreement with this analysis is that it doesn't strike me as "typical." It's indescribably indescribable.

SilkyJ
11-04-2010, 05:13 PM

That makes zero sense.

But on the off chance you're right, please thank Roy for me. We got a 5 star recruit and possibly the best PG in the country and UNC got no one, which is probably best b/c you wouldn't LD2 or Kendall Marshall to transfer if they felt they were being recruited over.

Duvall
11-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Except that your theory makes no sense. How would UNC getting involved make it *more* likely that Cook would commit to Duke? Seems like it would either have no effect, since Cook already had an offer from Duke, or would give Cook a reason to delay his decision by giving him another option to consider. There's just no logic there.

Jderf
11-04-2010, 05:20 PM
your wrong....mk to duke

Hmm, it's odd that these two posts seem to be in disagreement. I guess that's what happens when you make hard inferences without the hard facts to support them.

kong123
11-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Except that your theory makes no sense. How would UNC getting involved make it *more* likely that Cook would commit to Duke? Seems like it would either have no effect, since Cook already had an offer from Duke, or would give Cook a reason to delay his decision by giving him another option to consider. There's just no logic there.

RK comes available
Roy contacts QC and schedules a visit
IC publishes interview with QC where he states that UNC is his dream school
Duke "encourages" QC to take the scholarship
QC jumps at it because he knows MK has de-committed

did i lose you?

AlaskanAssassin
11-04-2010, 06:16 PM
RK? Ryan Kelly? :eek:

ajgoodfella7
11-04-2010, 06:19 PM
RK comes available

did i lose you?

You definitely lost me. How would Roy contacting Quinn Cook force him to accept a Scholarship from Duke? Even if hypothetically Quinn sped up his decision because of Kabongo, where does UNC fit into any of that?

Kedsy
11-04-2010, 06:21 PM
RK? Ryan Kelly? :eek:

Obviously he meant MK. Y'all should leave Kong alone. His scenario does make sense logically; I just don't think it would ever happen that way.

Plus, as I said before, if the choices are (1) Cook to Duke, Kabongo to Texas; and (2) Kabongo to Duke, Cook to UCLA; it's not clear which one would be better for UNC. For that reason alone, I can't imagine Roy going out on a limb to force things.

You definitely lost me. How would Roy contacting Quinn Cook force him to accept a Scholarship from Duke? Even if hypothetically Quinn sped up his decision because of Kabongo, where does UNC fit into any of that?

He meant that when Roy reached out to Quinn, it forced K to put the full court press to pressure Quinn into accepting Duke's offer. Since the pressure was applied concurrently with Kabongo's de-commitment, Quinn was put in the situation where he had to rush to choose Duke (toward which he was leaning but not 100%) before he'd completely decided, thus tying K's hands and not allowing him to go hard after Kabongo. It doesn't sound likely that it really happened that way, but there is a certain logic to it.

Duvall
11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
RK comes available

did i lose you?

Pretty much, given that "Duke 'encourages' QC to take the scholarship" is a statement devoid of meaning. And even if Duke could apply some kind of pressure, why would they do so with a new option on the market?

There's just no logic there.

Jderf
11-04-2010, 06:24 PM
(1) MK comes available
(2) Roy contacts QC and schedules a visit
(3) IC publishes interview with QC where he states that UNC is his dream school
(4) Duke "encourages" QC to take the scholarship
(5) QC jumps at it because he knows MK has de-committed

did i lose you?

Somewhat. You didn't exactly make it clear how (1) caused (2), how (2) caused (3), how (3) caused (4), or how (4) caused (5). Other than that, no, you didn't lose me.

I'm just playing, obviously, but please make what you're trying to say more clear. I thought your first explanation made a lot more sense, though incredibly outlandish.

Greg_Newton
11-04-2010, 06:26 PM
RK comes available

did i lose you?

Assumptions inherent in this bizarre line of reasoning:

1) Roy knew that Kabongo was going to decommit and recommit to Duke before it happened, but K didn't.
2) Duke was not encouraging QC to take the scholarship beforehand, despite having offered him.
3) Cook's decision to take the scholarship had something to do with this new "encouragement" brought on by Roy's scheming, not just the fact that Kabongo had decommitted.

I'm just going to stop there because of how little sense it makes. The timeless doesn't even logically make sense for what IC is trying to imply.

Stray Gator
11-04-2010, 06:36 PM

So if I understand you correctly, the thinking of "a lot of people" is that Roy was merely feigning interest in Cook as an artifice to induce Cook to accept Duke's offer before Duke could extend an offer to Kabongo, because Roy was more apprehensive about the prospect of seeing Kabongo at Duke than he was concerned about Duke landing Cook? Pretty clever bit of deception, there. But what if Cook, instead of falling into Roy's trap, had followed through with the visit to UNC and then told Roy that UNC is his dream school and he wanted to join the Tar Heels? Do you think Roy would have extended an offer to Cook?

AlaskanAssassin
11-04-2010, 06:38 PM
1) Roy knew that Kabongo was going to decommit and recommit to Duke before it happened, but K didn't.

THIS actually makes sense as to why Roy contacted QC and not MK, even when knowing MK listed UNC as one of the teams he was interested.

Crazy how things worked out.

gumbomoop
11-04-2010, 07:06 PM
A lot of people also feel that Roy pushed the issue with QC so that he would commit to Duke before MK was offered.

RK comes available

did i lose you?

I'm willing to be corrected, by kong123, if I've misinterpreted the original iteration of this theory [first tag quote]. I took the key point to be that ["a lot of people feel"] Roy out-foxed K. To wit: (1) When Kabongo de-committed, (2) Roy, fearing that Kabongo would wind up at Duke, (3) decided he needed to scare both K and Cook into each other's arms, so that (4) Kabongo would not wind up at Duke. (5) The theory doesn't seem to be that (6) Roy thought he could get Kabongo, but that (7) he temporarily panicked at the mere thought that the really top-flight guard, Kabongo, might land in Durham; but (8) quickly steadied himself and concocted a ploy by which, yes, (9) Duke would get Cook, but (10) not super-Myck.

I repeat, I may have misinterpreted that original statement by kong, but its absence in the second iteration [second tag quote] seems a missing piece of "evidence." Evidence for what? For what I characterized [post #178] as "indescribably indescribable." I infer that Stray Gator, too, ....

So if I understand you correctly, the thinking of "a lot of people" is that Roy was merely feigning interest in Cook as an artifice to induce Cook to accept Duke's offer before Duke could extend an offer to Kabongo, because Roy was more apprehensive about the prospect of seeing Kabongo at Duke than he was concerned about Duke landing Cook?

..... has some problems coming up with just the right word to describe this theory.

SilkyJ
11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Obviously he meant MK. Y'all should leave Kong alone. His scenario does make sense logically; I just don't think it would ever happen that way.

It doesn't make sense to me, especially since Roy never offered QC. Roy repeatedly told him he couldn't offer him a scholly.

Oh and Coach K never pressured QC to commit. NEVER.

But hey, all the out-foxing Roy could muster left his team with LD2 and Kendall Marshall at PG. Looks like he out-foxed himself.

Kedsy
11-04-2010, 07:36 PM
It doesn't make sense to me, especially since Roy never offered QC. Roy repeatedly told him he couldn't offer him a scholly.

Oh and Coach K never pressured QC to commit. NEVER.

But hey, all the out-foxing Roy could muster left his team with LD2 and Kendall Marshall at PG. Looks like he out-foxed himself.

Well, I have no idea what either Roy or K said to Quinn, but your objections seem to be in the category of "it didn't happen that way" (and I happen to be in that camp), as opposed to "it's not logical and doesn't make sense" (which I don't think is right).

Semantics? Perhaps, but to me it seems like people were attacking Kong saying his theory made no sense, largely because he's a Heel. Not that there's anything wrong with attacking Heels for no good reason, but to me Kong seems more decent than most.

kong123
11-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm willing to be corrected, by kong123, if I've misinterpreted the original iteration of this theory [first tag quote]. I took the key point to be that ["a lot of people feel"] Roy out-foxed K. To wit: (1) When Kabongo de-committed, (2) Roy, fearing that Kabongo would wind up at Duke, (3) decided he needed to scare both K and Cook into each other's arms, so that (4) Kabongo would not wind up at Duke. (5) The theory doesn't seem to be that (6) Roy thought he could get Kabongo, but that (7) he temporarily panicked at the mere thought that the really top-flight guard, Kabongo, might land in Durham; but (8) quickly steadied himself and concocted a ploy by which, yes, (9) Duke would get Cook, but (10) not super-Myck.

I repeat, I may have misinterpreted that original statement by kong, but its absence in the second iteration [second tag quote] seems a missing piece of "evidence." Evidence for what? For what I characterized [post #178] as "indescribably indescribable." I infer that Stray Gator, too, ....

..... has some problems coming up with just the right word to describe this theory.

this is basically what I was trying to say but it is hard to type out complete thoughts on an iPhone while sitting in traffic. hopefully, you understand how dangerous it could be. I know no one would want something horrible to happen to me.

there is also a much worse rumor floating around coming from a Texas fan, but I dare not post that here. I would be banned for eternity.

SilkyJ
11-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Well, I have no idea what either Roy or K said to Quinn, but your objections seem to be in the category of "it didn't happen that way" (and I happen to be in that camp), as opposed to "it's not logical and doesn't make sense" (which I don't think is right).

No, I'm in both camps. It doesn't make sense b/c Roy never offered QC (according to QC). IIRC, there's multiple quotes out there with QC saying "Roy has not offered me."

So I really can't imagine how his theory makes sense. His theory is "Coach K was worried about Roy getting QC so K put the press on QC"

Why would coach K put the full court press on QC b/c of Roy...when Roy hadn't even offered and said he couldn't offer?! Doesn't make sense to me.

77devil
11-04-2010, 09:14 PM

I repeat, I may have misinterpreted that original statement by kong, but its absence in the second iteration [second tag quote] seems a missing piece of "evidence." Evidence for what? For what I characterized [post #178] as "indescribably indescribable."

this is basically what I was trying to say but it is hard to type out complete thoughts on an iPhone while sitting in traffic. hopefully, you understand how dangerous it could be. I know no one would want something horrible to happen to me.

there is also a much worse rumor floating around coming from a Texas fan, but I dare not post that here. I would be banned for eternity.

Now what is the more plausible explanation? That Roy quickly hatched a cunning scheme to maneuver MK away from Duke or that this is a silly, unsubstantiated blog rumor. And who are these "a lot of people?"

MChambers
11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
No, I'm in both camps. It doesn't make sense b/c Roy never offered QC (according to QC). IIRC, there's multiple quotes out there with QC saying "Roy has not offered me."

So I really can't imagine how his theory makes sense. His theory is "Coach K was worried about Roy getting QC so K put the press on QC"

Why would coach K put the full court press on QC b/c of Roy...when Roy hadn't even offered and said he couldn't offer?! Doesn't make sense to me.

Even more importantly, is Kong saying that Roy is so manipulative as to talk to a Duke target in the hope of getting him to go to Duke, rather than a more talented player? What does this say about Roy (and the people who subscribe to this theory)? Is this something to be proud of?

Duvall
11-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Even more importantly, is Kong saying that Roy is so manipulative as to talk to a Duke target in the hope of getting him to go to Duke, rather than a more talented player? What does this say about Roy (and the people who subscribe to this theory)? Is this something to be proud of?

The much more plausible explanation for Roy's late interest in Cook is that it came shortly after he got a chance to see his team's point guards during the first couple weeks of practice. Maybe Roy didn't like what he saw.

airowe
11-04-2010, 10:30 PM

A lot of people think that Myck Kabongo contacted Duke, UNC, and a number of other schools this Summer telling them he was wavering on his commitment and was thinking about decommitting. All the coaches involved, including Roy and K, told him that in order for him to be recruited, he'd have to officially decommit. It took him a really long time to do so because Texas boosters had paid a ton of money to Myck's handlers, one of them being his AAU coach Ro Russell and another Coach Todd Simon from Findlay Prep. He found himself in a prickly situation and didn't want to upset his handlers or the Texas boosters. Eventually, his desire to go to another school with a better coach won out and he decommitted.

In this time, Duke had moved onto Quinn Cook, a 5-star PG who Coach K really respected from his time with the USA team where he got to watch Cook lead a team in a short period of time to a gold medal, starting over a PG in Marcus Teague who is considered by recruiting analysts to be better than either Kabongo or Cook. Cook tried to commit to Dukea few times, but Coach K, in looking out for Cook's best interests like he does w/ every player he recruits, told him to think about it and make sure he was making a rational decision. After Cook had time to think, knowing he wanted to sign in the early period because he can't take recruiting trips during his season at Oak Hill and wanted to concentrate on winning a national title, called up Coach K and committed, essentially ending his recruitment.

Kabongo, realizing that he had a very small window of time to be considered for the PG position at Duke over Quinn, finally decommitted to show the Duke coaches he was serious about going elsewhere. K and staff thought it over, decided to remain loyal to their offered prospect in Quinn Cook and told Kabongo they appreciated his interest, but they would stick with the 5-star PG who had already committed. Did I make that up? Who knows really? But that's what a lot of people think. Which one sounds more probable?

AlaskanAssassin
11-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Kabongo, realizing that he had a very small window of time to be considered for the PG position at Duke over Quinn, finally decommitted to show the Duke coaches he was serious about going elsewhere. K and staff thought it over, decided to remain loyal to their offered prospect in Quinn Cook and told Kabongo they appreciated his interest, but they would stick with the 5-star PG who had already committed. Did I make that up? Who knows really? But that's what a lot of people think. Which one sounds more probable?

Thanks airowe. I guess what everyone is wanting to know is why Roy contacted QC after denying him a scholarship before. Also during the time that MK decommitted.

superdave
11-04-2010, 10:44 PM
It took him a really long time to do so because Texas boosters had paid a ton of money to Myck's handlers, one of them being his AAU coach Ro Russell and another Coach Todd Simon from Findlay Prep. He found himself in a prickly situation and didn't want to upset his handlers or the Texas boosters.

This sounds an awful lot like another situation where the NCAA, AAU, NBA and everyone else need to team up to squeeze the $ out of amateur athletics. If $ changes hands and you get found out, you can never ever ever work in the business again on any level. Even cleaning up the toilets in the basement below the gym.

These jack-holes do not have the best interests of kids in mind.

airowe
11-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks airowe. I guess what everyone is wanting to know is why Roy contacted QC after denying him a scholarship before. Also during the time that MK decommitted.

A lot of people are saying that Roy talked to Myck, found out he wanted to go to Duke, and realized that Cook would be the next best PG available and Roy needed a backup plan because he didn't like his current PGs.

dukeballboy88
11-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks Roy.

airowe
11-04-2010, 10:55 PM
This sounds an awful lot like another situation where the NCAA, AAU, NBA and everyone else need to team up to squeeze the $ out of amateur athletics. If $ changes hands and you get found out, you can never ever ever work in the business again on any level. Even cleaning up the toilets in the basement below the gym.

These jack-holes do not have the best interests of kids in mind.

Lol. Just so I'm not accused of slander here, I made that all up so as to point out how ridiculous Kong's post was. I am not saying that's what really happened.

superdave
11-04-2010, 10:57 PM

Thanks Roy.

Ha. Roy is playing chess while the rest of us are playing tiddly winks.

Of course, he still has two slow PGs who cant run his offense and a couple of big men who play for UCLA.

Owen Meany
11-04-2010, 11:20 PM
A lot of people also feel that Roy pushed the issue with QC so that he would commit to Duke before MK was offered. I know, typical UNC fans, but the timing of the whole the news of Roy going to see QC, the QC interview on Scout, the interview with Steve Smith warning Roy of QC's decision, and finally MK's re-commitment seems very interesting to me. I know, I know, typical UNC fan talking to typical Duke fans

RK comes available

did i lose you?

You lost me.

UNC - Cook's "dream school" -"pushes the issue" by scheduling a visit, having him come to UNC, etc. The obvious implication being that an offer may be forthcoming. (an offer that, according to the Carolina faithful, Cook has been waiting for and will immediately accept). Cook responds to this great news by immediately committing to UNC's arch-rival. :rolleyes:Wow!

Oh, I forgot -Ol' Roy also "pushed" Coach K to "encourage" Cook to accept the scholarship. But wouldn't that be the last thing K would want to do, according to this story? After all, Myk is so superior to Cook that the mere thought of him going to Duke causes Roy to manipulate a young man, and risk ostracizing the coaches of two of the best high school and AAU teams in the entire country. But, if Myk is so superior, wouldn't Coach K be absolutely thrilled that Ol' Roy was giving Cook something to think about? It's pretty clear now that Kabongo wanted to go to Duke and was Duke's for the taking. So in your ridiculous scenario, why on earth would Coach K push Quin for a commitment?

I don't think you even believe this. And I say this in defense of both You and Roy Williams. Because anyone who believes this is not very intelligent (and I am being charitable). And if Roy Williams actually "suckered" Coach K into signing a Top 20, future MCDonald AA, MVP of perhaps the best High school conference in America - then he is an imbecile.

This is an attempt to detract from the fact that Duke received a commitment from a Top 25 recruit today. A recruit who said "thanks but no thanks" to his "dream school" by telling the Coach to not bother coming for their previously scheduled visit the very next day. I think this wacko theory will probably play better elsewhere, among people whose unhealthy hatred for Duke will lead them to believe anything - no matter how preposterous.

Starter
11-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I think UNC fans would like to think that Williams had some sort of master plan here, as they're looking for any sort of bright spot as the pendulum continues to swing toward Duke. Maybe the truth is he's just grasping at straws and throwing anything at the wall to see if something sticks.

Weird fatalistic comment. I'd say out of respect to both the other people on the road and yourself, if you actually are posting while driving, give it a rest for a few minutes. We can wait to hear your theories and such until you get home.

El_Diablo
11-05-2010, 02:14 AM
kong's right...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs945.snc4/73851_172121109467061_100000075195725_592728_36855 14_n.jpg

RelativeWays
11-05-2010, 08:41 AM
A lot of people also feel that Roy pushed the issue with QC so that he would commit to Duke before MK was offered. I know, typical UNC fans, but the timing of the whole the news of Roy going to see QC, the QC interview on Scout, the interview with Steve Smith warning Roy of QC's decision, and finally MK's re-commitment seems very interesting to me. I know, I know, typical UNC fan talking to typical Duke fans

You lost me.

UNC - Cook's "dream school" -"pushes the issue" by scheduling a visit, having him come to UNC, etc. The obvious implication being that an offer may be forthcoming. (an offer that, according to the Carolina faithful, Cook has been waiting for and will immediately accept). Cook responds to this great news by immediately committing to UNC's arch-rival. :rolleyes:Wow!

Oh, I forgot -Ol' Roy also "pushed" Coach K to "encourage" Cook to accept the scholarship. But wouldn't that be the last thing K would want to do, according to this story? After all, Myk is so superior to Cook that the mere thought of him going to Duke causes Roy to manipulate a young man, and risk ostracizing the coaches of two of the best high school and AAU teams in the entire country. But, if Myk is so superior, wouldn't Coach K be absolutely thrilled that Ol' Roy was giving Cook something to think about? It's pretty clear now that Kabongo wanted to go to Duke and was Duke's for the taking. So in your ridiculous scenario, why on earth would Coach K push Quin for a commitment?

I don't think you even believe this. And I say this in defense of both You and Roy Williams. Because anyone who believes this is not very intelligent (and I am being charitable). And if Roy Williams actually "suckered" Coach K into signing a Top 20, future MCDonald AA, MVP of perhaps the best High school conference in America - then he is an imbecile.

This is an attempt to detract from the fact that Duke received a commitment from a Top 25 recruit today. A recruit who said "thanks but no thanks" to his "dream school" by telling the Coach to not bother coming for their previously scheduled visit the very next day. I think this wacko theory will probably play better elsewhere, among people whose unhealthy hatred for Duke will lead them to believe anything - no matter how preposterous.

The timing's off for one thing. Sheep fans are forgetting QC's interview where he said he spoke with Huckleberry Hound, and the Huckster pretty much stated that his PG situation was not set in stone (i.e. they suck) and there may be an opportunity. This interview hits the web before MK decommits so Roy is not forcing anything here.

Since QC is not quite a phenom runner like Lawson, Roy is not going to make an offer available until the spring signing period. Duke has an offer for QC now.

QC seemed like a Duke lock right after CTC, but now was seemingly hesitant and may go to the rivals down the road.

Someone makes it known to MK that the offer for QC may now be free for someone else to take. MK decommits from Texas.

Everyone knows that MK wants to play with AR, but he's not going to just come out and say he's going to Duke.

QC is probably being told by his mom, coaches, friends that he could be losing a sure thing (the Duke offer) for something that may never happen (the UNC offer).

If Roy decides his glut of PGs is good enough to wait for LJ Rose for 2012, then there's no UNC offer, Duke takes MK, UCLA and Nova have probably moved on. Cook would find a good team, but not one that has the pieces to be top 10 or one that may not have a spot for him right way.

QC takes the Duke offer, MK goes back to Texas and UNC makes due until 2012. There's no real gamesmanship here, except QC could have potentially played himself.

Faison1
11-05-2010, 08:59 AM
A lot of people think that Myck Kabongo contacted Duke, UNC, and a number of other schools this Summer telling them he was wavering on his commitment and was thinking about decommitting. All the coaches involved, including Roy and K, told him that in order for him to be recruited, he'd have to officially decommit. It took him a really long time to do so because Texas boosters had paid a ton of money to Myck's handlers, one of them being his AAU coach Ro Russell and another Coach Todd Simon from Findlay Prep. He found himself in a prickly situation and didn't want to upset his handlers or the Texas boosters. Eventually, his desire to go to another school with a better coach won out and he decommitted.

In this time, Duke had moved onto Quinn Cook, a 5-star PG who Coach K really respected from his time with the USA team where he got to watch Cook lead a team in a short period of time to a gold medal, starting over a PG in Marcus Teague who is considered by recruiting analysts to be better than either Kabongo or Cook. Cook tried to commit to Dukea few times, but Coach K, in looking out for Cook's best interests like he does w/ every player he recruits, told him to think about it and make sure he was making a rational decision. After Cook had time to think, knowing he wanted to sign in the early period because he can't take recruiting trips during his season at Oak Hill and wanted to concentrate on winning a national title, called up Coach K and committed, essentially ending his recruitment.

Thanks, Airowe. I'm sure all of us appreciate your explanation.

I gotta say, the world of recruiting seems awfully dark. Can you imagine being a 16-18 year old kid and worrying about upsetting your handlers because of money they received? And the feeling that you're locked into something you don't really want for reasons that are pretty jaded? To me, that is just entirely too young of an age to be dealing with that kind of stuff.

I feel bad for Myck. I like Barnes and Texas, but I just feel bad for kids like him in situations like this.

CharlestonDevil
11-05-2010, 09:21 AM
I thought you all would enjoy a conversation I had with a Tar Heel friend of mine. This was by text about 5:30 yesterday just after the QC committment....

Me: "Lifelong tarheel fan, #20 recruit in the nation commits to Duke. Tell Roy I said thanks."
Him: "Thank God! Now we will sign Kabongo."
Me: "Bongo re-up'd at TX yesterday. Guess you are stuck with LD3."
Him: "Meh, we'll see. Texas will still be out b/c he will take a visit to CH. And there aren't any elite pg's in this class anyway. And LJ Rose is solid."
Me: "He re-committed. Not taking any visits."
Him: "The rumor on IC is that he is still visiting."

I gave up the moment he brought up IC. Side note- He has a degree from CH, so the brainwashing is thorough.

MChambers
11-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I thought you all would enjoy a conversation I had with a Tar Heel friend of mine. This was by text about 5:30 yesterday just after the QC committment....

Me: "Lifelong tarheel fan, #20 recruit in the nation commits to Duke. Tell Roy I said thanks."
Him: "Thank God! Now we will sign Kabongo."
Me: "Bongo re-up'd at TX yesterday. Guess you are stuck with LD3."
Him: "Meh, we'll see. Texas will still be out b/c he will take a visit to CH. And there aren't any elite pg's in this class anyway. And LJ Rose is solid."
Me: "He re-committed. Not taking any visits."
Him: "The rumor on IC is that he is still visiting."

I gave up the moment he brought up IC. Side note- He has a degree from CH, so the brainwashing is thorough.

If Kabongo somehow ends up at UNC, Rick Barnes's head will explode. Just a prediction, of course.

Bluedog
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks, Airowe. I'm sure all of us appreciate your explanation.

I gotta say, the world of recruiting seems awfully dark. Can you imagine being a 16-18 year old kid and worrying about upsetting your handlers because of money they received? And the feeling that you're locked into something you don't really want for reasons that are pretty jaded? To me, that is just entirely too young of an age to be dealing with that kind of stuff.

I feel bad for Myck. I like Barnes and Texas, but I just feel bad for kids like him in situations like this.

Uh, airowe specifically said at the end of that post AND in entirely new post, that he made up the story to prove a point. So, don't feel too bad for Myck.

Did I make that up? Who knows really? But that's what a lot of people think. Which one sounds more probable?

Lol. Just so I'm not accused of slander here, I made that all up so as to point out how ridiculous Kong's post was. I am not saying that's what really happened.

JasonEvans
11-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Uh, airowe specifically said at the end of that post AND in entirely new post, that he made up the story to prove a point. So, don't feel too bad for Myck.

Thanks Bluedog. I was about to do the same thing and point out that airowe's post was 100% fiction. It is not a rumor and it is not supported by any facts or innuendo. It was a hypothetical designed to prove a point and nothing more.

--Jason "I felt this needed clearing up" Evans

Lord Ash
11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
kong's right...

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7796/royhu.jpg

Fixed for you... you had the skin coloring off a bit...

pacificrounder
11-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Fixed for you... you had the skin coloring off a bit...

Now all you need to do is photoshop a cane in there and the wizard outfit from midnight madness will be complete!

DevilHorns
11-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks Bluedog. I was about to do the same thing and point out that airowe's post was 100% fiction. It is not a rumor and it is not supported by any facts or innuendo. It was a hypothetical designed to prove a point and nothing more.

--Jason "I felt this needed clearing up" Evans

Not going to lie, after reading Airowe's #199 post in this thread I also believed it as an insider story regarding Kabongo, handlers, boosters etc.

I think it makes sense to add a little edit at the end of that post stating that kabongo, handlers, UT boosters, etc is all made up. JMO.

SilkyJ
11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Its just sad that Kong can come on here, spew some junk from IC, and send us all into a tizzy.

I realize he's just reiterating stuff people are saying on IC, but I thought we'd learn to ignore IC junk by now (myself included. I'm done responding to their "rumors" and "theories.") The people over there are a notch away from catspaws

91_92_01_10_15
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Its just sad that Kong can come on here, spew some junk from IC, and send us all into a tizzy.

Agreed. Speculation without any evidence whatsoever = a bad post.

I think the moderators have consistently asked folks not to post unsubstantiated rumors on the board. I'm not sure why this post was not taken down.

kong123
11-05-2010, 01:29 PM

I think the moderators have consistently asked folks not to post unsubstantiated rumors on the board. I'm not sure why this post was not taken down.

everyone can comment about UNC and what is happening behind the scenes there, but I mention another train of thought and I my posts should be disregarded? Airowe intentionally posted garbage and no one called him on it because he is a Duke fan. This is the thing that bothers me the most about this site. I understand I am an enemy in enemy territory and I have to take my lumps and keep quiet about it, but come on. If there are posters on the IC that come across as bottom feeders, well... there are guys here that take that title on this site.

don't just disregard opinions that you disagree with, shows how limited you, may be.

SilkyJ
11-05-2010, 01:34 PM
don't just disregard opinions that you disagree with, shows how limited you, may be.

Its not an opinion or a train of thought. It was an outlandish rumor/theory propagated by the ever insightful IC posters.

Airowe posted his crap as a joke, which is why we didn't call him out. MORE-FREAKING-OVER, Airowe has a track record of being an insider and providing valuable info. Your track record, is to regurgitate whatever is being said on IC -- which some people appreciate as it can offer another perspective. Most of the time, however, its just junk, imo, as those guys aren't very well informed.

And to be clear, part of what makes this particular theory junk, beyond several flaws in logic, is the notion that Coach K would EVER pressure a recruit into committing. He would NEVER, EVER do that. Most people outside of Duke fans don't understand that, but those are the same people that blindly hate Duke, think we get all the calls, think we pay-off recruits, etc etc, so I don't pay them much attention, just as I don't pay IC posters much attention.

MChambers
11-05-2010, 01:39 PM

While I agree that rumors should not be posted, Kong's post said far more about the UNC fan base than anything else. Also, the fact that it provoked an overreaction says more about us than him.

kong123
11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Its not an opinion or a train of thought. It was an outlandish rumor/theory propagated by the ever insightful IC posters.

Airowe posted his crap as a joke, which is why we didn't call him out. MORE-FREAKING-OVER, Airowe has a track record of being an insider and providing valuable info. Your track record, is to regurgitate whatever is being said on IC -- which some people appreciate as it can offer another perspective. Most of the time, however, its just junk, imo, as those guys aren't very well informed.

And to be clear, part of what makes this particular theory junk, beyond several flaws in logic, is the notion that Coach K would EVER pressure a recruit into committing. He would NEVER, EVER do that. Most people outside of Duke fans don't understand that, but those are the same people that blindly hate Duke, think we get all the calls, think we pay-off recruits, etc etc, so I don't pay them much attention, just as I don't pay IC posters much attention.

see, this is my point. Airowe's little joke was accepted at face value because it had a Duke slant to it. No one commented on it because it came from Airowe. So for you to say that everything that comes out of the IC is garbage because most of us are idiots and not worthy of a valid opinion is arrogant and short-sighted.

kong123
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
While I agree that rumors should not be posted, Kong's post said far more about the UNC fan base than anything else. Also, the fact that it provoked an overreaction says more about us than him.

I believe there is a difference between rumors and opinions. if there isn't perhaps the mods can identify where they are different. Hopefully, the answer will not be, "an opinion is when we offer our superior thoughts about UNC and a rumor is when UNC offers their baseless and unsubstantiated opinion about Duke."

BD80
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM

But the code says we shouldn't fire on friendly forces.

You're in a room with Bin Laden, a lawyer and a carolina fan, and have a gun but just two bullets? Shoot the carolina fan twice.

sagegrouse
11-05-2010, 01:53 PM
see, this is my point. Airowe's little joke was accepted at face value because it had a Duke slant to it. No one commented on it because it came from Airowe. So for you to say that everything that comes out of the IC is garbage because most of us are idiots and not worthy of a valid opinion is arrogant and short-sighted.

I am inclined to side with kong on this one. IMHO (where the H is invariably silent), kong123 is a valued member of the Board, beyond just the pleasure of having someone to torment. And he has been highly critical of IC in the past, which I presume is one reason he posts here.

sagegrouse

SilkyJ
11-05-2010, 01:57 PM
So for you to say that everything that comes out of the IC is garbage because most of us are idiots and not worthy of a valid opinion is arrogant and short-sighted.

You're the one who keeps telling us what "theories" people have come up with over there and what the "insiders" are saying and it routinely turns out to be wrong.

No one is talking about an opinion. You haven't presented an opinion. You've presented a theory that has been propagated into a rumor.

Just b/c someone says "I think" at the beginning of a sentence does not make it an opinion. Saying "I think Coach K is a terrible coach" is an opinion. Saying "I think Coach K paid off the referees last night" is a rumor.

see, this is my point. Airowe's little joke was accepted at face value because it had a Duke slant to it. No one commented on it because it came from Airowe.

Interesting, b/c its also my point.

Airowe has a track record (a good one in this case) and gets the benefit of the doubt.

IC has a track record (a bad one in this case) and does not get the benefit of the doubt.

-jk
11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I think this story is about played out. We'll never know who recruited whom, who wanted to play with whom, or any of the rest.

Clearly identified and well thought out speculation can be a useful thing here. (Or else what happens to all the Next Year's Starting Lineup discussions?)

The usual posting guidelines always apply, though.

-jk