PDA

View Full Version : Snyderwine on Groza short list

jimsumner
10-29-2010, 11:41 AM
From Press Release

"For the second consecutive year, Duke redshirt junior Will Snyderwine has been named a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award, an honor presented annually to the top plackekicker in the nation. The Palm Beach County Sports Commission released its 20 semifinalists on Friday.

In 2010, Snyderwine has made 11-of-12 (.917) field goal attempts and all 18 of his PAT attempts and leads Duke in scoring with 51 total points. In the ACC, Snyderwine ranks tied for first in PAT percentage (1.000), second in field goal percentage, fourth in field goals made per game (1.57) and sixth in points per game (7.3).

For his career, the former walk-on and Potomac, Md., native has made 28-of-32 (.875) field goal attempts and all 42 of his PATs for 126 total points. His career field goal percentage is first on Duke’s all-time chart while standing fourth nationally among active kickers.

Snyderwine is joined on the list of semifinalists by Dan Bailey (Oklahoma State), Devin Barclay (Ohio State), Kyle Brotzman (Boise State), Dan Conroy (Michigan State), Derek Dimke (Illinois), Kai Forbath (UCLA), Kevin Goessling (Fresno State), Chris Hazley (Virginia Tech), Alex Henery (Nebraska), Dustin Hopkins (Florida State), Danny Hrapmann (Southern Miss), Josh Jasper (LSU), Aaron Jones (Baylor), Joe Phillips (Utah), Grant Ressel (Missouri), David Ruffer (Notre Dame), Collin Wagner (Penn State), Blair Walsh (Georgia) and Nate Whitaker (Stanford)."

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2010, 11:48 AM
I was wondering about this the other day, especially after the rough start Will had. Perserverance by him and the coaching staff pays off.

mkline09
10-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm glad to hear Snyderwine is getting some positive news, too bad the rest of the team hasn't been as successful, however this reminds me of West Virginia back in the 90s.

I can't remember exactly which year it was but their punter was absolutely the only good thing about the team. Of course when Rich Rod came to town he changed their fortunes and had them bust on the scene. So while there might not be any relation just a faint similiarity it would be nice if Duke eventually has that same breakout. I think they can do it but it is still going to take some time.

Newton_14
10-29-2010, 11:05 PM
This is awesome. I think back to the last season prior to Coach Cut where a simple 30 something yard field goal at the end of regulation beats the heels, and it is a mile left from the moment it left the foot. Going by memory, I believe we made a grand total of 3 field goals that season.

This is one area where Cut immediately made a huge impact. Our kicking game is top notch, thanks in large part to Snyderwine, but even Maggio improved. Similar improvements with the punting.

Very impressive.

Congrats to Will. Let's hope he finishes strong and either wins the award or comes darn close to winning it.

Richard Berg
10-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm glad to hear Snyderwine is getting some positive news, too bad the rest of the team hasn't been as successful, however this reminds me of West Virginia back in the 90s.

I can't remember exactly which year it was but their punter was absolutely the only good thing about the team. Of course when Rich Rod came to town he changed their fortunes and had them bust on the scene. So while there might not be any relation just a faint similiarity it would be nice if Duke eventually has that same breakout. I think they can do it but it is still going to take some time.
Duke had the same thing in the early Franks years: Brian Morton.