PDA

View Full Version : Gloria Borges (1981-2014)

Mike Corey
10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
2004 Duke alum Gloria Borges, a dear friend and huge Duke basketball fan, was recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer.

She just published this essay (http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2010/10/27/how-duke-basketball-has-helped-me-fight-cancer.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) on her website, and I strongly urge you all to read it.

moonpie23
10-29-2010, 10:31 AM
GREAT READ!!!!......i can sympathize, Duke basketball helps my son face tremendous physical challenges every day...

MChambers
10-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Great story. Thanks for posting this.

elvis14
10-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks that was a good read that puts a few things in perspective. I loved the comment at the bottom: "Go to hell, Cancer, go to hell" - Classic!

sagegrouse
10-29-2010, 11:54 AM
What a heart-warming post! I know everyone is pulling for her -- even the Duke haters. From my own experience, I can imagine what she is going through. My advice to anyone fighting an illness is -- stay busy and stay focused. Live your life every day, and let the doctors worry about the disease. Gloria makes us all proud to be -- well, a member of the human race.

sagegrouse

mkline09
10-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I hope to write something similar for my 7-year old nephew who is battling with a brain tumor and is being treated at Duke. He just was diagnosed and has a long way to go but we are hopeful and trust in Duke.

Mike Corey
10-29-2010, 12:15 PM
I hope to write something similar for my 7-year old nephew who is battling with a brain tumor and is being treated at Duke. He just was diagnosed and has a long way to go but we are hopeful and trust in Duke.

Dr. Friedman and his team of medical professionals are the best.

My thoughts and prayers with your nephew and your entire family. You're in very good hands.

roywhite
10-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Go, Gloria!

Go to hell, cancer, go to hell!

blazindw
10-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Like Mike, I too consider Gloria a dear friend of mine. Her spirits are very high, and just her enthusiasm in combating cancer is enough to get anyone fired up, not to mention the zeal with which she approaches life. She's just so inspiring. I was going to post this today, so thank you Mike for doing so.

blazindw
11-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Just wanted to give an update on this...we all know Coach K does great things and inspires all, but he's gone above and beyond now. Coach K was given Gloria's recent blog post by a friend of mine (who passed it up through the ranks...I had to hold this secret for a week or two!). He was inspired by it and he and the team recorded a message on a DVD to Gloria and sent it. In it, he promises that if the team and her are successful this season with their goals, that they'll all be in the Final Four...the team playing and Gloria with 2 tickets. He also invited her to sit behind the bench for a home game if she feels up to it.

Read the post below. It's great we have such an awesome coach like Coach K who takes the time to even respond to things like this, and with such compassion. Needless to say, Gloria is PUMPED about this, and cancer is about to get destroyed!

http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2010/11/9/the-happiest-blue-devil-on-the-planet.html

duke79
11-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the link to her blog entry. Nice story. Just further confirms that Coach K is a class act.

ChicagoCrazy84
11-09-2010, 10:50 AM
That is incredible! Cool story and I am so happy (and a lil jealous) for Gloria.

Hats off to Coach K and the team for doing that for her. I love Duke!!

ambitiouspear
11-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm sure Gloria's story is inspiring many others who are going through the same fight.

Mike Corey
11-28-2010, 09:36 AM
It just keeps getting better (http://wunderglo.squarespace.com/blog/2010/11/28/this-devils-in-heaven.html).

Please take a few moments and read over the sincerity and genuineness with which both Coach K and his wonderful wife--and Gerry Brown, too--sought to comfort, support and encourage one particular Duke alum.

Gloria's fight has many miles to go, but she is making progress one day at a time. And spirit is so important in such a fight, as is being loved. And Gloria's got that in abundance. And she's getting a lot of it from what might otherwise be an unlikely source.

If anyone dares question the humanity of Coach K, or of the Duke family, you tell them about this Duke alum and this budding friendship with the face of our university...who shows us everyday that he's really just leading with his heart.

weezie
11-28-2010, 09:41 AM

God bless your little shaver. weezie is pulling for him. Check your pms.

Indoor66
11-28-2010, 09:59 AM
It just keeps getting better (http://wunderglo.squarespace.com/blog/2010/11/28/this-devils-in-heaven.html).

Please take a few moments and read over the sincerity and genuineness with which both Coach K and his wonderful wife--and Gerry Brown, too--sought to comfort, support and encourage one particular Duke alum.

Gloria's fight has many miles to go, but she is making progress one day at a time. And spirit is so important in such a fight, as is being loved. And Gloria's got that in abundance. And she's getting a lot of it from what might otherwise be an unlikely source.

If anyone dares question the humanity of Coach K, or of the Duke family, you tell them about this Duke alum and this budding friendship with the face of our university...who shows us everyday that he's really just leading with his heart.

That was wonderful. She is truly and inspiration. Bless her, her family and Coach K + the Duke family.

blazindw
11-28-2010, 11:09 AM

I can't rep you for posting this because I must spread around...someone give this man positive feedback.

Awesome story, and I'm glad Gloria got to take in the game yesterday!

dukepsy1963
11-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I have tears flowing down my cheeks.... of joy and hope....
What class acts; Gloria and Duke Basketball. I am proud to be an alum. Hang in there Gloria....

DukieInKansas
11-28-2010, 04:25 PM

Warning: Do not read this in public due the high likelihood of tears. I'm so glad I can claim Duke as family. (I'm sure people in the Phillie airport are wondering about me.)

Thanks for sharing the link.

Mike Corey
01-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Wanted to update this thread, as Gloria's surgery is coming up soon.

But before she takes on cancer once more, she took in a Duke game last night (http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2011/1/27/a-perfect-day-at-duke.html).

As the opening buzzer was minutes away from sounding, my hero, Coach K, appeared. He walked over to our bench, and just before he started doing his thing, he scanned the crowd, made eye contact with me, and gave me a nod and a thumbs up. My heart skipped a beat and I smiled and raised my hand. I could hardly believe it. Did that just happen? I turned to [my husband] Will and asked, "Was Coach just looking at me? Was that thumbs up for me?" He laughed at me - "Yes! Of course!" You should've seen my face. Pure happiness.

You all should know that Coach K has been e-mailing Gloria regularly, offering support and strength, for a few months now.

We have the best coach in the country. And he's a much better man.

Please keep Gloria in your thoughts as she prepares to take down cancer once and for all, and I'd encourage you to send some love her way accordingly.

MChambers
01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Wanted to update this thread, as Gloria's surgery is coming up soon.

But before she takes on cancer once more, she took in a Duke game last night (http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2011/1/27/a-perfect-day-at-duke.html).

You all should know that Coach K has been e-mailing Gloria regularly, offering support and strength, for a few months now.

We have the best coach in the country. And he's a much better man.

Please keep Gloria in your thoughts as she prepares to take down cancer once and for all, and I'd encourage you to send some love her way accordingly.
We're all rooting hard for her. Thanks for posting this.

blazindw
02-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Wanted to send an update for those of you who are not keeping track of Gloria's blog...

Gloria will undergo her big surgery tomorrow here in DC that will hopefully rid her of all the cancer left in her body. Of course, she's in great spirits and ready to go. Her friends have been leaving messages of support on her wall, but I know that she would appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers as she sets out to beat cancer tomorrow.

http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2011/2/2/ready.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

That's her latest post. Feel free to leave words of encouragement in the comments. Or, for those of you on Twitter, you can message her at @wunderglo.

Let's go Gloria!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Vibes for a successful surgery!
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Mike Corey
02-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I am elated to report that Gloria made it through surgery, and is resting in ICU with her husband by her side.

Her husband notes:

"Sitting in the ICU next to a beautiful and CANCER-FREE WunderGlo. Nowhere else in the world I'd rather be. :)"

MChambers
02-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I am elated to report that Gloria made it through surgery, and is resting in ICU with her husband by her side.

Her husband notes:

"Sitting in the ICU next to a beautiful and CANCER-FREE WunderGlo. Nowhere else in the world I'd rather be. :)"
Hard as it is to believe, this is more important than the Toe! Hope the recovery and rehab goes well.

ricks68
02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Here's a wish hoping for a speedy cancer-free, recovery!

ricks

Indoor66
02-04-2011, 03:42 PM
I am pulling for her to be completely well. As a cancer survivor myself I can appreciate the elation the family must be feeling. More power to you.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Great news! I was actually thinking about this the other day, but I couldn't find the thread so this is great. So happy for Gloria and her husband!

NYC Duke Fan
02-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I am also a cancer survivor and that was certainly good news about Gloria. Hope we can hear some good news about Mkline's 7 year old nephew soon. Whoever wrote about Dr. Friedman is right on. There are two great Dr. Friedmans at Duke, The Surgeon, Allan Friedman and Henry Friedman the oncologist, who cured my dear friend when everyone else gave up hope.

The stories about Gloria and Mkline's nephew certainly puts things in perspective don't they. It makes winning or losing basketball games quite unimportant.

gep
02-04-2011, 11:51 PM

Her husband notes:

Hard as it is to believe, this is more important than the Toe! Hope the recovery and rehab goes well.

I don't think it's hard to believe at all. CANCER-FREE is simply amazing. GO WONDERGLO!!!

Mike Corey
07-20-2011, 10:50 PM
An update on the amazing Gloria Borges.

She's working on a book about her triumph over cancer (she's working on getting an agent now), and she's put together a colon cancer fundraiser in the form of a 3-on-3 basketball tournament and silent auction on September 24 in Los Angeles.

If you can, I strongly encourage you to support this fund raiser (http://wunderglo.eventbrite.com/) in any way you can.

Coach K has contributed to the silent auction, as have Stuart Scott of ESPN and Tyson Chandler.

Mike Corey
01-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Another update about Gloria:

One more surgery has become necessitated to clear out some extraneous cancer that has stubbornly stuck around. Gloria goes into surgery in an hour or so, but wanted to share her pre-surgery thoughts with all of you (http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2012/1/11/why-i-fight.html).

I hope you'll join me in keeping Gloria and her family in your thoughts and/or prayers.

jv001
01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Another update about Gloria:

One more surgery has become necessitated to clear out some extraneous cancer that has stubbornly stuck around. Gloria goes into surgery in an hour or so, but wanted to share her pre-surgery thoughts with all of you (http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2012/1/11/why-i-fight.html).

I hope you'll join me in keeping Gloria and her family in your thoughts and/or prayers.

Gloria will be in my prayers as she continues her courageous fight against a terrible disease. Thank you for being a good friend to her. We could all take a lesson from you. GoDuke and Go Gloria!

DukieInKansas
01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Thank you for the update. For some reason she popped into my head a few days ago and I was wondering how she was doing. Renewed prayers for her and the surgery team.

Mike Corey
02-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Reviving an old thread to share some exciting news: Since the original post, Gloria's life has changed in countless ways. But through it all, and though she is currently going through several rounds of radiation, she has not stopped fighting this damn disease through balancing out her normal life (she's an attorney (http://www.omm.com/gloriaborges/)at a prestigious LA law firm) with her cancer-fighting life.

Some time ago, she launched a foundation (http://www.wunderglofoundation.org/)to fight colon cancer. She's written a book. She's hosted fundraisers across the country.

And this morning, she announced her most audacious goal yet: The Wunder Project, an effort to raise $250 million with the explicit goal of curing colon cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_rJsNC4xQW4

Coach K and several Blue Devils appear in the video. As they have since the beginning, the Duke basketball family has been of tremendous support to Gloria and to Gloria's family.

~

A few days ago, Gloria wrote about love (http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2013/2/14/on-love.html)of all things on her blog.

But that’s only from the physical standpoint, and that’s a small part of what this cancer-killing experience has been about. The physical stuff is tough and, yes, I have to go it alone, but it’s a fraction of what this entire thing has been about. My fight with cancer has been about learning how to take care of myself, learning how to value every second of life, and making sure that whatever I’m doing, my mind and spirit are focused and positive so they can help my body perform as well as possible. It has been about emotional and spiritual stability and a sense of peace that permeates every moment of my life – knowing that yes, I will be okay. No matter what I have to endure and how long it takes, I will be okay. Knowing that I AM okay in this very moment. And that’s where love comes in.

To feel the love of my family and friends, my colleagues and my medical team is an incredible thing, and something that fills my heart and makes me strong and ready to conquer the world. To be in London or New York City and to experience the places that fascinate me fills me with wonder and inspires me to seek even more joy from life. To cheer on my Duke Blue Devils or sing along to my favorite music or swish a three pointer fortifies my spirit and reminds me that so many things in life make me truly happy. And in those moments, when I am surrounded by love and loving so many things, I know that I could never be alone. I could never be lonely. And I don’t go through anything alone.

If you can, please take a moment to either send Gloria an encouraging word (https://twitter.com/wunderglo)or a donation (http://www.wunderglofoundation.org/donate/)or both, and help to further her labor of love to end this damn disease for good.

aro24
02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Glad to see this. Back in November I lost one of my best friends from childhood to colon cancer, 1 week prior to his 35th birthday. He was a fellow Duke fanatic and a longtime follower of these boards. A short time after his death, his family received an autoraphed basketball from Coach K.
Just a small note to put out how this community of Duke fans and the team/program can make a difference.

Here's hoping we find a way to beat this disease some day.

ARo24

Mike Corey
02-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Here's a post (http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2013/02/absolutely-inspirational/) from DukeBluePlanet:

A few months ago, Duke grad, friend and inspiration Gloria Borges reached out to us about assisting with a video project for her Wunderglo Foundation. Gloria is one of the most driven, dedicated and tough human beings alive, so the expectations for her new project were high. Yet, she has managed to out-do herself with the launch of the Wunder Project, which includes a new website, awesome video (see below) and absolutely last but not least, a goal of raising $250 million and curing colon cancer. Not $25,000 or $250,000… $250 MILLION for the Wunder Project. Gloria is a true powerhouse.

Tripping William
02-21-2013, 08:36 AM
As Duke alum and fan who (a) never really knew my paternal grandfather because he was taken, in 1970, by colon cancer at age 70; (b) saw my maternal grandfather taken, in 1995, by lymphoma at age 70 (while I was in law school at Duke); (c) saw my father taken, in 2007, by late-detected prostate cancer at age 62, after a decade of fighting it; and (d) is 3.5 years removed from my own prostate cancer surgery, in 2009 at age 40 (thank heavens for early detection!), I applaud Gloria's noble & tireless efforts to hasten the demise of this dreaded disease.

Cancer, your time is up!

Mike Corey
09-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Yesterday marked the third anniversary of Gloria's diagnosis.

Via her Facebook page:

Three years ago today, I was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer. I was told that I'd live a year...maybe two years at the most. Over the last three years, I have defied that prediction and many others. I have defied death. I have embarrassed cancer. And I'll keep doing it until this is all over. Because at the end of this boxing match with cancer, I will be the one left standing. For reaching this milestone, I thank God, my doctors (especially HJL and Sugarbaker), my family, my friends, and myself. They never give up on me and, most importantly, I never give up on me. Today is a great day.

It's worth noting that she has been fighting off a pulmonary embolism in her lung, and that last week, she underwent her 58th round of chemotherapy.

If you want to drop her a line of encouragement, or make a donation to the foundation she started to fight colon cancer, you can do so here (http://www.thewunderproject.org/donate-now/).

DukeAlumBS
09-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Had to sign it to just post here. Thank you for a great story to read. She has a bad cancer to boot my thoughts to her and prayers. Thank you again. Nice day my friends, Jimmy

throatybeard
09-22-2013, 12:27 AM
I've never read this thread before, because I couldn't bear to, and I apologize for that.

So, class of 2004, diagnosed in 2010...how insanely unfair...how does a 28 year-old...a woman at that (I think guys are at much worse risk of colorectal cancer)...how does...how?

My wife's friend/co-worker has some weird cancer that started in...it's not her salivary gland but it's near there. It starts with "pi" but it's not pituitary, pitoid, something like that. I'm not an oncologist and I hate it when people try to tell me my job, but, but, given everything I've ever heard about cancer and all the friends of mine who have died from cancer and given how you just sort of aggregate your experience...it sounds like this woman has not had very good care. They even admitted that they mis-read a scan back in January, when they told her she had a clean bill of health. But then they looked at it again later and they were like, you've got maybe a 6-month median survival type situation here. (It's been eight months). They didn't tell her this till July. It's all up in her lungs and lymph nodes. She just turned 34. Never-smoker. She has beat the odds so far but is not expected to survive the school year now.

To read the craziest version of this ever, Google "Jill Costello Sports Illustrated."

Sometimes, I'll be in a public place. And I think about cancer and heart disease. And I look at all the people. And I'm amazed that anyone is alive.

blazindw
01-05-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm extremely sad to report that Gloria passed away this morning. She was a great friend and truly an inspiration to me and everyone that she came across. The world just lost one of its warriors, but her spirit lives on through the Wunderglo Foundation. Rest in peace, Glo.

Tripping William
01-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Also very sad to hear this news. I take some measure of comfort in the thought that Gloria Borges and Bill Krzyzewski might be swapping Duke hoops stories right about now. May her family find peace, and may cancer's time be up very, very soon.

Mike Corey
01-05-2014, 11:09 AM
As Donald has shared, this morning dealt terrible news. I wrote a tribute to Gloria elsewhere that I'd like to share here:

~

Most extraordinary lives--the lives that require historians to capture the litany of good deeds done, of other lives affected, of joys experienced, of challenges battled, of people loved--come to their conclusion after many decades. It is no less a tragedy to die old than to die young, but it angers and saddens us more when people leave this world too soon. They had so much more to do, so much more to see. And we will miss those opportunities with them.

My extraordinary classmate and friend Gloria Borges died this morning after amassing an exhaustive record of good deeds done, of achievements earned, of joys experienced, of people loved. A native of Los Angeles, Gloria knew at age 8 that she wanted to attend Duke University. Not only was she accepted ten years later, but she graduated as the president of her class, and she was so proud to have presided over a literary festival in which she brought one of her idols to campus, Joyce Carol Oates.

Upon graduating, she enrolled at Stanford Law School, where she presided over the Journal of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties as its editor in chief. She married the love of her life, Will Palmeri, an extraordinary human being in his own right, and she settled into legal practice in her hometown at the prestigious law firm of O'Melveny & Myers.

In the fall of 2010, she was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer. She fought the disease harder than cancer has ever been fought. 62 rounds of chemotherapy. Radiation. Multiple surgeries. A rigorous nutritional and exercise regimen. She was supposed to live a year past her diagnosis, and lived until today.

The strength to fight this way came from Gloria's unique constitution, and took hold at the onset of this disease. To most, Gloria's diagnosis would have been devastating news. To Gloria? In her own words, as expressed on her very first blog post (http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2010/10/10/welcome-to-wunderglo.html):

"From the first moment I found out the news that I had been diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer -- news delivered to me post-surgery by my parents and hubby -- I felt a charge in me. An excitement, if you will. You see, dear readers -- and you probably know this already -- I love a good challenge. And I love achieving goals, especially huge, sometimes improbable ones. The challenge is throughly beating down cancer, and the goal is not only survival, but survival with gusto. I am unwaveringly confident that I will succeed, not just because of my inner strength and toughness, but because of the love and support of family and friends -- the wonderful people reading this very blog entry. Your positivity and belief in my ability to overcome any challenge will buoy me on those days when my spirits need a lift. Together, we will win."

You do not beat cancer by merely surviving. You beat cancer by living while fighting. That would be how most people beat the disease. Gloria, of course, did more. After establishing her blog, where she chronicled not only her fight, but how she was carrying on and enjoying life along the way, she established The Wunder Project and the Wunderglo Foundation, with which she brought together some of the finest medical minds in the world with a single goal of beating colon cancer forever. She became an international advocate for combating this disease, but just as importantly, became a source of strength for individuals around the world who found her on the internet, or saw an article about her in the paper. And so many reached out to her for counsel, and to each, she offered her full-throated and fully informed take on how to tackle this disease.

Beyond service to others, Gloria also squeezed every last drop out of life that she could. She traveled across the country and saw all the things the rest of us continue to put off for another day. She celebrated the days that became a little more momentous to her--her birthdays, her cancer-beating-anniversaries--as well as the special days of loved ones. She became an inspiration to anyone and everyone who crossed her path, from strangers on the Internet who followed her blog, to old friends and new friends, to Mike Krzyzewksi, and most recently, to the CEO of Starbucks. On this morning of her passing, that inspiration must set in motion something more--Gloria must be the inspiration to live the way she did. We will lack her flair and her wit, and we will miss her sorely, but we will do our best to make you proud and carry on your legacy, a legacy you so graciously shared with so many across the country.

So after giving to this world so much, Gloria may finally rest. We will carry on with the work Gloria began, and try and fail to live up to the example she set every day of her 32 years of life. This woman was not defined by cancer, but by the zeal she carried with her every day. No person was stronger, no person was more determined, no person was more positive. Paired with her smarts, her compassion, her humanity, her unswerving ethics, Gloria was inimitable in every way. She loved music, and dancing, and literature, and Duke basketball; she loved to travel, and be challenged; she loved politics, and loved debate, and loved winning (and always did); she loved her city, her law firm, and the life she was leading despite the unfairness of the cancer that came upon her. And most of all, she loved her friends and her family, particularly her father, her mother, and her dear husband Will.

Be with God, Gloria, and be at peace. This world, and all of us in it, are so much better because of you. Thank you for all that you are and always will be.

wilson
01-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Like Mike and Donald, I was in Gloria's class at Duke. They knew her much better than I did, but I am proud and honored to call her a classmate, and I have followed her progress and her battle through most of her fight.
I for one would love it if we could figure out a DBR fundraiser for her foundation, The Wunder Project (http://www.thewunderproject.org), where every single dollar raised goes toward curing colon cancer.

Indoor66
01-05-2014, 11:40 AM
As Donald has shared, this morning dealt terrible news. I wrote a tribute to Gloria elsewhere that I'd like to share here:

~

Most extraordinary lives--the lives that require historians to capture the litany of good deeds done, of other lives affected, of joys experienced, of challenges battled, of people loved--come to their conclusion after many decades. It is no less a tragedy to die old than to die young, but it angers and saddens us more when people leave this world too soon. They had so much more to do, so much more to see. And we will miss those opportunities with them.

My extraordinary classmate and friend Gloria Borges died this morning after amassing an exhaustive record of good deeds done, of achievements earned, of joys experienced, of people loved. A native of Los Angeles, Gloria knew at age 8 that she wanted to attend Duke University. Not only was she accepted ten years later, but she graduated as the president of her class, and she was so proud to have presided over a literary festival in which she brought one of her idols to campus, Joyce Carol Oates.

Upon graduating, she enrolled at Stanford Law School, where she presided over the Journal of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties as its editor in chief. She married the love of her life, Will Palmeri, an extraordinary human being in his own right, and she settled into legal practice in her hometown at the prestigious law firm of O'Melveny & Myers.

In the fall of 2010, she was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer. She fought the disease harder than cancer has ever been fought. 62 rounds of chemotherapy. Radiation. Multiple surgeries. A rigorous nutritional and exercise regimen. She was supposed to live a year past her diagnosis, and lived until today.

The strength to fight this way came from Gloria's unique constitution, and took hold at the onset of this disease. To most, Gloria's diagnosis would have been devastating news. To Gloria? In her own words, as expressed on her very first blog post (http://www.wunderglo.com/blog/2010/10/10/welcome-to-wunderglo.html):

You do not beat cancer by merely surviving. You beat cancer by living while fighting. That would be how most people beat the disease. Gloria, of course, did more. After establishing her blog, where she chronicled not only her fight, but how she was carrying on and enjoying life along the way, she established The Wunder Project and the Wunderglo Foundation, with which she brought together some of the finest medical minds in the world with a single goal of beating colon cancer forever. She became an international advocate for combating this disease, but just as importantly, became a source of strength for individuals around the world who found her on the internet, or saw an article about her in the paper. And so many reached out to her for counsel, and to each, she offered her full-throated and fully informed take on how to tackle this disease.

Beyond service to others, Gloria also squeezed every last drop out of life that she could. She traveled across the country and saw all the things the rest of us continue to put off for another day. She celebrated the days that became a little more momentous to her--her birthdays, her cancer-beating-anniversaries--as well as the special days of loved ones. She became an inspiration to anyone and everyone who crossed her path, from strangers on the Internet who followed her blog, to old friends and new friends, to Mike Krzyzewksi, and most recently, to the CEO of Starbucks. On this morning of her passing, that inspiration must set in motion something more--Gloria must be the inspiration to live the way she did. We will lack her flair and her wit, and we will miss her sorely, but we will do our best to make you proud and carry on your legacy, a legacy you so graciously shared with so many across the country.

So after giving to this world so much, Gloria may finally rest. We will carry on with the work Gloria began, and try and fail to live up to the example she set every day of her 32 years of life. This woman was not defined by cancer, but by the zeal she carried with her every day. No person was stronger, no person was more determined, no person was more positive. Paired with her smarts, her compassion, her humanity, her unswerving ethics, Gloria was inimitable in every way. She loved music, and dancing, and literature, and Duke basketball; she loved to travel, and be challenged; she loved politics, and loved debate, and loved winning (and always did); she loved her city, her law firm, and the life she was leading despite the unfairness of the cancer that came upon her. And most of all, she loved her friends and her family, particularly her father, her mother, and her dear husband Will.

Be with God, Gloria, and be at peace. This world, and all of us in it, are so much better because of you. Thank you for all that you are and always will be.

I posted this link in the thread about K's brother. It seems appropriate here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtEDzY9RSgk)My heart goes out for Gloria and her family.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtEDzY9RSgk) Gloria, your story saddens me and thrills me at the same time. Rest with your Father - and Thank You. I am better for having shared just a little of your journey.

Mike Corey
01-13-2014, 12:54 PM
One last post in this thread.

Dear Gloria was laid to rest on Saturday in Los Angeles. Her life was celebrated at a memorial service prior to her funeral and intermnet, and I thought it fitting to share with this community that DBR's wonderful post memorializing her life was not only reprinted in the memorial's program, it was read aloud to all in attendance at the request of Gloria's family.

In addition to personal reflections shared by some of Gloria's many friends, Coach Krzyzewski recorded a personal message that was played at the memorial. It was one of many tearjerking moments, but one that also brought joy to everyone there to honor Gloria.

If you're just now learning about Gloria, I would encourage you to learn about her and her foundation's audacious "Wunder Project (http://www.thewunderproject.org/donate-now/)", the latter of which is intended to end colon cancer altogether, and is very near one of Gloria's goals: raising its first million dollars. Let's get it over the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FkL8Ze-NHk

Mike Corey
04-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Good afternoon, all.

This weekend will be the 10th Reunion for Gloria's graduating class at Duke. SOme special events are planned that I wanted to share with you all, and to encourage you all to attend.

This Saturday, April 12th from 1-3 PM in Gross Hall (formerly Gross Chem), The WunderGlo Foundation will present a screening of the film, The Wunder Project, followed by a Q&A session with Gloria's beloved and brilliant doctor, Heinz Josef Lenz. A memorial tribute to Gloria will follow immediately after the Q&A.

And on Sunday, The Wunderglo Foundation will be hosting the third annual "Go to Hell, Cancer" 3-on-3 basketball tournament at Brodie Rec Center on Duke's East Campus. If you're interested in entering a team with your classmates and/or other friends, register here: http://tinyurl.com/wunderglo and join our Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/543039225811570/

Please let us know if you have any questions, and please help us spread the word!

blazindw
04-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Good afternoon, all.

This weekend will be the 10th Reunion for Gloria's graduating class at Duke. SOme special events are planned that I wanted to share with you all, and to encourage you all to attend.

This Saturday, April 12th from 1-3 PM in Gross Hall (formerly Gross Chem), The WunderGlo Foundation will present a screening of the film, The Wunder Project, followed by a Q&A session with Gloria's beloved and brilliant doctor, Heinz Josef Lenz. A memorial tribute to Gloria will follow immediately after the Q&A.

And on Sunday, The Wunderglo Foundation will be hosting the third annual "Go to Hell, Cancer" 3-on-3 basketball tournament at Brodie Rec Center on Duke's East Campus. If you're interested in entering a team with your classmates and/or other friends, register here: http://tinyurl.com/wunderglo and join our Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/543039225811570/

Please let us know if you have any questions, and please help us spread the word!

Thanks for posting this Mike. I've been working on all 3 for a couple months now, but some personal things have got in the way and pushed promoting it here to the backburner. I highly encourage any of you who are around Durham this weekend to check out all 3 events!

Mike Corey
05-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Today marks four months since Gloria's passing. Her family and foundation are publishing the full video of the memorial accordingly.

To those of you wishing to learn more about Gloria, here is a tremendous, often funny, often gut-wrenching opportunity to do so. The memorial included a number of touching tributes from Gloria's friends, from her lawfirm's managing partner, and even from her husband, Will. There are also some separate video tributes that bring Gloria to life a little more than mere words can.

There are also some DBR-specific moments: The statement DBR so generously posted upon Gloria's passing is read aloud during this celebration of Gloria's life (starting around 16:45 in), and speeches are given by Donald Wine (1:16:10 minutes in), me (32:00 minutes in), and of course, by Coach K (1:22:45 minutes in).

http://youtu.be/14DvD3sEF-M

Mike Corey
12-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Coach K was recently awarded with a lifetime achievement award from Gloria's foundation. Coach K accepted the award in absentia, via this recorded speech. It is now available for public viewing, and I wanted to share it all with you. Coach K's sincerity and love is on full display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXBQyxGDTC8

blazindw
12-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Great acceptance from Coach K and an excellent tribute to our dear friend. Thanks for sharing, Michael!

ricks68
12-18-2014, 12:57 AM
Today marks four months since Gloria's passing. Her family and foundation are publishing the full video of the memorial accordingly.

To those of you wishing to learn more about Gloria, here is a tremendous, often funny, often gut-wrenching opportunity to do so. The memorial included a number of touching tributes from Gloria's friends, from her lawfirm's managing partner, and even from her husband, Will. There are also some separate video tributes that bring Gloria to life a little more than mere words can.

There are also some DBR-specific moments: The statement DBR so generously posted upon Gloria's passing is read aloud during this celebration of Gloria's life (starting around 16:45 in), and speeches are given by Donald Wine (1:16:10 minutes in), me (32:00 minutes in), and of course, by Coach K (1:22:45 minutes in).

http://youtu.be/14DvD3sEF-M

Mike's posts have always been so inspiring. Please spork him a lot for me, as I can't again yet.

rick