PDA

View Full Version : ESPN goes behind the scenes with Duke bball

Mike Corey
10-28-2010, 03:24 PM
ESPNU Provides a Rare Look inside at the Duke Men’s Basketball Program:

ESPNU All-Access: Training Days with the Duke Blue Devils will air on ESPNU and ESPN2 with an hour-long special Tuesday, Nov. 9, at 9 p.m. ET on ESPNU and Thursday, Nov. 11, at 8 p.m. on ESPN2. The Duke University men’s basketball program provided ESPN with significant access to the Blue Devils as they prepare for the upcoming season as reigning 2010 NCAA Champions. Viewers will be given a never-before seen, in-depth look at one of the most successful athletic programs in college sports history, as ESPN spent nine days with the Blue Devils, beginning with Countdown to Craziness Friday, Oct. 15.

ESPNU All-Access: Duke Men’s Basketball, four 30-minute specials, will be featured on ESPNU Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 1 & 2, at 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday and Thursday, Nov. 3 & 4, at 7 p.m. These shows will include a behind-the-scenes look at practices, team meetings and campus facilities. SportsCenter will debut feature material starting Monday, Nov. 8, and continue daily through Thursday, Nov. 11.

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski gives a rare look at the inner workings of his program, as he runs practices, breaks down film and inspires players through a variety of leadership-driven activities. Follow the Hall of Fame coach on a guided tour of his office through 30 years of history.

All-American Duke players Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith give a day-in-the-life synopsis as the cameras rolled with the duo relaxing off the court, and highly touted freshman Kyrie Irving attends class and shows how an 18-year old basketball phenom adapts to life on campus. Smith also provides a tour of Duke’s basketball facilities and analyzes the end of the national championship game against Butler.

Additional segments feature Coach K wearing a microphone for a full practice, and a look at assistant coaches Chris Collins, Steve Wojciechowski and Nate James, all former Duke players and captains. The trio wore microphones during practice, broke down film and relaxed at home with their families.

ESPNU offered similar all-access shows prior to the start of the 2010 college football season, following the Alabama Crimson Tide as they prepared to defend the BCS National Championship title. ESPNU also aired several shorter all-access specials featuring Appalachian State, Florida State, Mississippi State and Oregon State.

noyac
10-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I printed and will set my DVR up tonight.

Mike Corey
10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
ESPN asked Roy-Will first, but he declined.

Oriole Way
10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Wow, this is awesome. Can't complain about the exposure for recruiting purposes, either.

Lord Ash
10-28-2010, 04:12 PM
While I am CERTAINLY looking forward to this, it DOES make me think of the Dan Patrick interview from about a month or two ago...

Dan asks Krzyzewski whether he'd let a camera in on practices, like a college hoops Hard Knocks. Coach K says no and feels it would be artificial anyway because the coaches would change their behavior due to the presence of the camera.

chadlee989
10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
While I am CERTAINLY looking forward to this, it DOES make me think of the Dan Patrick interview from about a month or two ago...

Dan asks Krzyzewski whether he'd let a camera in on practices, like a college hoops Hard Knocks. Coach K says no and feels it would be artificial anyway because the coaches would change their behavior due to the presence of the camera.

I agree. While i am glad that i get to watch it. It just doesn't seem right. I dont want other teams(coaches) to see how it should be done. My question is if Coach K was 35-40 years old would he have done it?

striker219
10-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Well ol' Roy isn't going to like this at all. Should we be on the lookout for MJ buying a majority stake in ESPN before Monday and shutting this thing down?

devildeac
10-28-2010, 11:13 PM
How long until we hear about what an unfair recruiting advantage this is?

:rolleyes:

dukenilnil
10-29-2010, 09:48 AM
No ESPN3 access? PM me if you make a DVD copy of the program.
Thanks

Lord Ash
10-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Folks, do make SURE you don't have ESPNU. I didn't realize I had it for YEARS, until I found it buried among random channels in the three hundreds:)

NSDukeFan
10-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I noticed this quote at the bottom right hand corner from the ESPN coverage and wondered about it:
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/2010ACCMediaDay/2010-acc-media-day

Sure, this Duke team isn't as dominating or intimidating as the 2009 Heels.

In 2009, UNC was coming off a 36-3 season where they lost in the final four. They returned the national player of the year (TH) as well as a 2nd team all-ACC performer (Ellington), and almost their entire roster (except Quentin Thomas due to graduation and Marcus Ginyard due to injury) and added the #2 recruiting class with freshmen Ed Davis (#9 RSCI), Tyler Zeller (#18) and Larry Drew II (#44).

Duke won the national title last year and was 35-5, lost seniors Jon Scheyer, Zoubs and Lance. The team returns first team all-ACC Kyle Singler and second team all-ACC Nolan Smith. The team adds the #9 recruiting class with Kyrie Irving (#2), Josh Hairston (#32) and Tyler Thornton, as well as transfer Seth Curry.

I originally thought the ESPN quote was a bit off, but now that I have looked at it, I think coming into the year, UNC in 2009 was a more intimidating team than Duke is this year. I am hoping that Duke this year ends up being the better team out of the two, but either way should be an exciting season.

southgater
10-29-2010, 10:58 AM
No ESPN3 access? PM me if you make a DVD copy of the program.
Thanks

Ditto for me. I would love to see some of these programs as I always wonder what goes on in practices to make Duke such a good team year in and year out. Unfortunately, I don't have cable access but rely - usually successfully - on ESPN3 to see the games. Thanks!

Billy Dat
10-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree. While i am glad that i get to watch it. It just doesn't seem right. I dont want other teams(coaches) to see how it should be done. My question is if Coach K was 35-40 years old would he have done it?

I don't think you need to worry about this. If other coaches want to know what's in his head, there are about 6 books and untold number of instructional videos, let alone the coaching clinics that he runs. What K has built is the product of 30 years of blood, sweat and tears. No "inside-look" TV series can give away the secrets because there really is no secret...it's the vision inside K's head and his maniacal drive and focus to execute that vision.

rhcpflea99
11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Don't forget to watch!!!!!

Edouble
11-01-2010, 03:15 PM
No "inside-look" TV series can give away the secrets because there really is no secret...it's the vision inside K's head and his maniacal drive and focus to execute that vision.

Agreed. If there was just a bag of tricks that other coaches hadn't figured out on their own, Stanford and Notre Dame would be in the Final Four every year.

Duke: A Dynasty
11-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Watching the espnU inside access with Duke and I am finding it very intertaining and informative. If you miss the episode today they are reshowing all the episodes again in an 2 day one hour format next week I believe. But for people that are more informed than me; Has Mason already lost his starting spot to Kelly? I am watching them practice and the lineups are KI, Nolan, Kyle, Ryan, Miles lined up against Tyler, Seth, Andre, Josh, Mason. Does this mean Ryan has replaced Mason or do you think they are just practicing like this so the bigs matchup better?

roywhite
11-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Watching the espnU inside access with Duke and I am finding it very intertaining and informative. If you miss the episode today they are reshowing all the episodes again in an 2 day one hour format next week I believe. But for people that are more informed than me; Has Mason already lost his starting spot to Kelly? I am watching them practice and the lineups are KI, Nolan, Kyle, Ryan, Miles lined up against Tyler, Seth, Andre, Josh, Mason. Does this mean Ryan has replaced Mason or do you think they are just practicing like this so the bigs matchup better?

Saw the first show today; it was excellent.

I wouldn't make anything of different lineups during practice sessions, particularly early season sessions.

uh_no
11-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't make anything of different lineups during practice sessions, particularly early season sessions.

yes, but then what would make fodder for our conversations????

D.C. Devil
11-01-2010, 05:51 PM
yes, but then what would make fodder for our conversations????

I hear you. Except K made it pretty explicit during the episode that he's using varied lineups as a way to build camaraderie and communication throughout the team.

But oh my goodness does this get me pumped for Nov. 14.

weezie
11-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Seriously?!

I watched this afternoon and will watch it again with the husband.
But, gotta admit, if K was painting a wall, I'd watch.
Put me in Coach!

Lord Ash
11-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Seriously?!

I watched this afternoon and will watch it again with the husband.
But, gotta admit, if K was painting a wall, I'd watch.
Put me in Coach!

Pretty sure it is a joke, based on UNC fans constant reaction to ANYTHING K has done (coaching the Olympic team, getting NBA offers, etc) being "Well, they asked Roy Williams first, but he turned it down."

Funny every time, though:)

cato
11-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Tyler, Seth, Andre, Josh, Mason

I wonder how many teams would trade their starting 5 for that blue team?

uh_no
11-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I wonder how many teams would trade their starting 5 for that blue team?

could that lineup beat UNC? good chance.....it would be a friggin good game

El_Diablo
11-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Seriously?!

It's a reference to a comment by Roy. After Coach K was being mentioned for the Nets and Bulls jobs, Roy felt the need to tell a reporter that he had been approached a number of times for NBA coaching jobs, but he declined.

LSanders
11-01-2010, 07:43 PM

A giant tool says what?

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0806/giant-tool-demotivational-poster-1213803729.jpg

DukeHoopsGuru
11-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Anywhere in the internet for those without ESPNU?

WordLife565
11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/10/29/767429/espn-plans-special-on-duke-basketball.html

I missed the first all access today because I went to sleep :(

SilkyJ
11-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I can't believe the the first thing they show after their montage intro was Ryan Kelly and Dre walking in front of Cameron, and they said Dre was Tyler...

Other than that I liked it :)

DukeHoopsGuru
11-01-2010, 09:37 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/10/29/767429/espn-plans-special-on-duke-basketball.html

I missed the first all access today because I went to sleep :(

Am I missing something? I was curious if the video was on the net. That link is only to the article?......

AlaskanAssassin
11-01-2010, 09:39 PM
I don't have espnu :(

ACCBBallFan
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM

My guess is the latter, for motivation and for variety so they don't get bored practicing against the same guy every day, for one, and also since that would be the unit when Ryan subbed in for Mason.

That was filmed a while back and people who went to the coaches clinic this past weekend are saying the Plumlees were in the starting roatation.

This is the third year of his three at Duke where Miles has been the pre-season starter, but my guess is that persists this year with his jumbo size relative to Mason and Ryan without sacrificing athleticism.

I actually would prefer to see Duke alternate a Plumlee every 4 minutes at center since their strengths and weaknesses mirror one another much more than Ryan's (or Josh's in OOC and some ACC games).

Kyrie, Nolan and Seth would alternate at the combo spots with spot and mop up duty for Tyler.

Kyle, Ryan and Dre would share the WF/PF duties with Kyle playing some at each position, Ryan only as a PF/C and Dre only as a WF/SG and again Josh sometimes.

FireOgilvie
11-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Does anyone know if this first one will be replayed and when? I can't tell from the guide... they all look the same. I'm mad that I missed it. Also, the four 30 min programs are different than the two 1-hour shows, correct?

jipops
11-01-2010, 10:53 PM
My two biggest impressions were
1) K seems really happy with how Miles has advanced (at least in that particular practice he was)
2) This team needs to work on its communication and vocalization. K kept commenting on how quiet the guys were. Lance and Brian were probably two of the more vocal guys on the team so the loss of those two is probably felt in this way a good deal.

msdukie
11-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Here are all of your airtimes. The 1 hour episodes are DIFFERENT from the 30 minute episodes:

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/11/espnu-provides-a-rare-look-inside-at-the-duke-men%e2%80%99s-basketball-program/

ESPNU All-Access: Duke Men’s Basketball (Each episode is 30 minutes; schedule subject to change)

Date Time (ET) Network
Mon, Nov 1 4:30 p.m. ESPNU
Tue, Nov 2 4:30 p.m. ESPNU
Wed, Nov 3 7 p.m. ESPNU
Thu, Nov 4 7 p.m. ESPNU

ESPNU All-Access: Training Days with the Duke Blue Devils (Each episode is one hour; schedule subject to change)

Date Time (ET) Network
Tue, Nov 9 9 p.m. ESPNU
Thu, Nov 11 8 p.m. ESPN2

Re-air Schedule (Schedule subject to change)

Original Date Re-air Network
Mon, Nov 1 Nov. 2, 11 p.m.; Nov. 3, 9 am; Nov 9, 8 a.m.; Nov 16, 6 a.m. ESPNU
Tue, Nov 2 Nov. 2, 11:30 p.m.; Nov. 3, 9:30 a.m.; Nov. 4, 1 a.m.; Nov 9, 8:30 a.m.; Nov 16, 6:30 a.m. ESPNU
Wed, Nov 3 Nov. 4, 1:30 a.m. & 9 a.m.; Nov 9, 9 a.m.; Nov 16, 7 p.m.; Dec 26, 5 p.m. ESPNU
Thu, Nov 4 Nov. 5, 1 a.m.; Nov 9, 9:30 a.m.; Nov 16, 7:30 a.m.; Dec 26, 5:30 p.m. ESPNU
Tue, Nov 9 Nov 10, 9 a.m.; Nov 12, 5 a.m.; Nov 12, 3 p.m.; Nov 16, 8 a.m.; Dec 2, 6 p.m.; Dec 26, 6 p.m. ESPNU
Thu, Nov 11 Nov 15, 9 p.m. ESPN2

SilkyJ
11-02-2010, 12:58 AM
My guess is the latter, for motivation and for variety so they don't get bored practicing against the same guy every day, for one, and also since that would be the unit when Ryan subbed in for Mason.

Also, the lineups were different throughout the episode so not sure why that guy singled out that one part.

The staff also tinkers with different combinations, I'm sure.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-02-2010, 02:45 PM
I can't believe the the first thing they show after their montage intro was Ryan Kelly and Dre walking in front of Cameron, and they said Dre was Tyler...

Other than that I liked it :)

Yeah, I yelled at the TV, "No, that's Andre!"

I really liked the first episode. It was a side of Duke basketball I've never seen before. What struck me the most was how much K was coaching communication. It was part of every point he made in the practice they showed.

Also intriguing was what he likes in his omelet. ;)

Also, also - this is a VERY well funded program.

lpd1982
11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
The Nolan Smith Show!

Could we have a better spokesperson? I particularly thought it was fitting how he said he looks out from the fifth floor windows to see the Crazies in lines and sleeping in the tents and feels he owes them his best effort for their energy and dedication.

And there is only one word for his obvious feeling about his coach-RESPECT.

Finnerator
11-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Easily my favorite part of this episode...... is at the very end. You could really tell the amount of loyalty and appreciation that Nolan feels to the Crazies. Appreciation for their unwavering support and enthusiasm. A life experience that he and the rest of the lucky few that get to play in Cameron Indoor Stadium will never forget.

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Easily my favorite part of this episode...... is at the very end. You could really tell the amount of loyalty and appreciation that Nolan feels to the Crazies. Appreciation for their unwavering support and enthusiasm. A life experience that he and the rest of the lucky few that get to play in Cameron Indoor Stadium will never forget.
That was awesome with Nolan at the window looking out over K-ville, describing it as his "favorite view". He's a great ambassador for the program.

Newton_14
11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
I have not had the chance to see it yet, but hope to catch it tomorrow night. Question, was Hubert Davis part of the ESPN crew? Reason I ask is I saw him down on the floor standing by the band in a sweat suit during the St Aug game and wondered why he would be there dressed like that. I just assumed he was scouting the team or something.

I got the chance to attend the open practice last year on Parent's Weekend which was really cool. They practiced very hard, especially when they split into guards/wings and bigs. The bigs were running 2 on 2 drills working on the high/low set, with 2 bigs trying to score on the other two. It was brutal, and if you went up for a shot, in most cases it meant getting hammered but they played through all of the contact with no fouls acknowledged. That was very interesting to watch.

Did they show any of the position drills like that or mainly just 5 on 5 scrimmaging?

sleepybear
11-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I have not had the chance to see it yet, but hope to catch it tomorrow night. Question, was Hubert Davis part of the ESPN crew? Reason I ask is I saw him down on the floor standing by the band in a sweat suit during the St Aug game and wondered why he would be there dressed like that. I just assumed he was scouting the team or something.

I got the chance to attend the open practice last year on Parent's Weekend which was really cool. They practiced very hard, especially when they split into guards/wings and bigs. The bigs were running 2 on 2 drills working on the high/low set, with 2 bigs trying to score on the other two. It was brutal, and if you went up for a shot, in most cases it meant getting hammered but they played through all of the contact with no fouls acknowledged. That was very interesting to watch.

Did they show any of the position drills like that or mainly just 5 on 5 scrimmaging?

So far ESPN has shown some 5-5 with K emphasizing communicating. Also there has been some film talk. Today was all Nolan giving a tour of the team facilities. (They're getting a pool and hot tubs)

DevilHorns
11-02-2010, 09:42 PM

You do know that both episodes are playing tonight on ESPN U from 11 pm - midnight right? I've been waiting all day for it!

Newton_14
11-02-2010, 09:49 PM
You do know that both episodes are playing tonight on ESPN U from 11 pm - midnight right? I've been waiting all day for it!

Thanks DH! I somehow missed that. I thought 4:30 was the only showing today. Setting the DVR, and counting the minutes!!

roywhite
11-02-2010, 10:11 PM
One of the things I got out of the first two episodes is how much pressure there is on the players to perform and play well:

Their every move in practice and games is scrutinized, reviewed, and replayed
Often, the video reviews involve one-on-one meetings with the player and Coach K as they go through the video in great detail
Nolan mentioned the dreaded laser pointer where a player's good moments and bad moments are highlighted in team meetings and game reviews
They are surrounded with pictures, trophies, and murals of past great Duke players and teams, and expected to come up to those standards
The devotion and sacrifices of the Cameron Crazies are very evident to the players, and players like Nolan don't want to let them down
The team has great resources and facilities including a terrific coaching staff; the tools are all there and they are expected to produce. No room for excuses.

Granted, there are fun moments and rewards for good play and winning, but these guys are under close scrutiny and have great expectations placed on them. This is perhaps not news, but it comes through clearly in the behind-the-scenes look. Being a Duke basketball player is not for the faint-hearted.

AlaskanAssassin
11-02-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm having mixed feelings with these specials. Don't want other schools to figure out Duke 'secrets' from behind the scenes on what goes on. There is only one Coach K, so it doesn't really matter, but still.

Smitty1911
11-02-2010, 10:36 PM

I didn't know, so thanks for the info. DVR is set!

loran16
11-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Thoughts:

Episode 1:
So question for any of you who've played bball.....how well can you hear your teammates talk in an opposing stadium with a crazy crowd? It just seems that teaching people to rely upon audio cues could result in disaster on the road? Maybe i overestimate crowd noise on the floor.

That said, interesting practice, especially seeing how the communcation is emphasized not just for strategy, but for pumping the team up as well.

Episode 2:
Not as interesting to me, but:
"Excellence" is highlighted on multiple walls it seems. Very subliminal reinforcement there lol.
2 hours of mandated practice at the K center for the Frosh per day? Also, the frosh appeared to be working on writing 20, lol. Good times.
And of course, Nolan derives inspiration from the Crazies.

Episode 2 really should be used as a recruiting vehicle.

JMarley50
11-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Thoughts:

Episode 1:
So question for any of you who've played bball.....how well can you hear your teammates talk in an opposing stadium with a crazy crowd? It just seems that teaching people to rely upon audio cues could result in disaster on the road? Maybe i overestimate crowd noise on the floor.

That said, interesting practice, especially seeing how the communcation is emphasized not just for strategy, but for pumping the team up as well.

Episode 2:
Not as interesting to me, but:
"Excellence" is highlighted on multiple walls it seems. Very subliminal reinforcement there lol.
2 hours of mandated practice at the K center for the Frosh per day? Also, the frosh appeared to be working on writing 20, lol. Good times.
And of course, Nolan derives inspiration from the Crazies.

Episode 2 really should be used as a recruiting vehicle.

I played at both the high school and college levels. To me noise level on the floor was never that big of a deal. Granted, I didn't play in front of as many people as the bigger programs, but at the same time, I remember high school games with over 2,000 people easy. Based on the size of the gym I'd say its comparable noise wise.

It might sound strange, but when the ball was in play I never really heard the crowd. Everything kind of goes quiet. You are so focused that everything except for your coach and teammates gets tuned out.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that you hear their voices in practice every day and you just recognize those sounds over everything else. Compared to football audibles and plays called at the line, what you are communicating verbally on the basketball court is not that complex. It is mainly one or two word phrases (pick right/left, help, middle, switch, stay, etc.) and usually the person you are communicating it to is not much further than an arms length away.

With that said, there is still a lot of non-verbal cues that go on as well. Often times its just a look from one player to another. After a while you start to read each others mind.

11-03-2010, 04:15 AM
I played at both the high school and college levels. To me noise level on the floor was never that big of a deal. Granted, I didn't play in front of as many people as the bigger programs, but at the same time, I remember high school games with over 2,000 people easy. Based on the size of the gym I'd say its comparable noise wise.

It might sound strange, but when the ball was in play I never really heard the crowd. Everything kind of goes quiet. You are so focused that everything except for your coach and teammates gets tuned out.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that you hear their voices in practice every day and you just recognize those sounds over everything else. Compared to football audibles and plays called at the line, what you are communicating verbally on the basketball court is not that complex. It is mainly one or two word phrases (pick right/left, help, middle, switch, stay, etc.) and usually the person you are communicating it to is not much further than an arms length away.

With that said, there is still a lot of non-verbal cues that go on as well. Often times its just a look from one player to another. After a while you start to read each others mind.

I played football and this was true as well. I could always hear the crowd during warmups and before snaps but during plays it was just me and whatever I was focused on. Instead of tunnel vision it is kind of like tunnel hearing. Also same when I played soccer and paintball. Everything just gets tuned out

Billy Dat
11-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Episode 1 - Aside from what others have said, I add the following. It's easy to think that the program is one happy family but the points roywhite made about pressure really resonate. When they showed K milling about behind the scenes, I got the impression that the guys were on some serious eggshells, like when he was eating by himself while the players were clustered around tables and such. We know that everything K does has a purpose and motivation and it looks like he does not play the "best buddy" role with the players the way someone like Calipari seems to. Also, his teaching points, while on point, are delivered in so earnest and basic a manner as to seem corny. Yet, we know from anecdotes that his screaming can peel paint off the walls and he's known to have a real cutting humor and sarcasm. Maybe that's what he meant when he told Dan Patrick that he'd never show the real program in a "Hard Knocks" manner. The show is certainly only showing his soft teacher side.

Episode 2 - Our facilities are insane...INSANE! The upgrades K negotiated as part of the "I may leave for the Lakers" leverage are incredible. At the same time, as Nolan pointed out, it's really a cloister. Those players are really expected to be there anytime they are not in class. It just goes to show that it takes a certain kind of kid to look at all those resources and the expectations and embrace them rather than be intimidated by them. But, I have to say, if kids like Monroe, Patterson and Boynton had seen these completed facilities, they may have chosen differently.

uh_no
11-03-2010, 01:43 PM
But, I have to say, if kids like Monroe, Patterson and Boynton had seen these completed facilities, they may have chosen differently.

and yet i'm so glad they didn't

2010 national champions

CharlestonDevil
11-03-2010, 01:51 PM
When they showed K milling about behind the scenes, I got the impression that the guys were on some serious eggshells, like when he was eating by himself while the players were clustered around tables and such. We know that everything K does has a purpose and motivation and it looks like he does not play the "best buddy" role with the players the way someone like Calipari seems to.

To me that is a combination of his time being in the Army and his time underneath "The General" Bobby Knight. K knows there is a time to friendly/fatherly/funny and that there is a time for business.

And during basketball season it is all business. It just really goes to show you how hungry he is to win and how much drive he still has to do it. Not to mention why he will go down as the greatest coach in college basketball history.

wtm001
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Any idea where I can watch this? I don't have ESPNU

somf4eva
11-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Here are all of your airtimes. The 1 hour episodes are DIFFERENT from the 30 minute episodes:

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/11/espnu-provides-a-rare-look-inside-at-the-duke-men%e2%80%99s-basketball-program/

ESPNU All-Access: Duke Men’s Basketball (Each episode is 30 minutes; schedule subject to change)

Date Time (ET) Network
Wed, Nov 3 7 p.m. ESPNU
Thu, Nov 4 7 p.m. ESPNU

ESPNU All-Access: Training Days with the Duke Blue Devils (Each episode is one hour; schedule subject to change)

Date Time (ET) Network
Tue, Nov 9 9 p.m. ESPNU
Thu, Nov 11 8 p.m. ESPN2

Tue, Nov 2 Nov. 2, 11:30 p.m.; Nov. 3, 9:30 a.m.; Nov. 4, 1 a.m.; Nov 9, 8:30 a.m.; Nov 16, 6:30 a.m. ESPNU
Wed, Nov 3 Nov. 4, 1:30 a.m. & 9 a.m.; Nov 9, 9 a.m.; Nov 16, 7 p.m.; Dec 26, 5 p.m. ESPNU
Thu, Nov 4 Nov. 5, 1 a.m.; Nov 9, 9:30 a.m.; Nov 16, 7:30 a.m.; Dec 26, 5:30 p.m. ESPNU
Tue, Nov 9 Nov 10, 9 a.m.; Nov 12, 5 a.m.; Nov 12, 3 p.m.; Nov 16, 8 a.m.; Dec 2, 6 p.m.; Dec 26, 6 p.m. ESPNU

thanks for this. ill be trying to check these out on ESPN2

DukeSean
11-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Enjoyed watching the all-access. It was nice to just get to watch without some commentator adding his/her own opinion/take on the practice. It was great to see how K ran practices and the team, his ability to communicate without screaming at and berating his players, and how incredibly quiet it got when he was speaking.

One thing I kept thinking was, "how come I didn't get to have sausage, bacon, and made-to-order omelets every morning when I was a student-athlete?" And then I remembered how the bball team's revenues helped pay for my team's expenses and thought, "those eggs better be organic eggs from free range grain-fed chickens."

NovaScotian
11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
omg - coach wojo just said the s curse

_TheFakeJWill_
11-03-2010, 07:37 PM
anyone else catch where Coach Collins said JJ was the best shooter ever?! Was a bold statement (i don't disagree) but he seemed certain about his assumption!

_TheFakeJWill_
11-03-2010, 07:38 PM
OH and I really think that Chris Collins will be a phenomenal coach on day! GO DUKE

NSDukeFan
11-03-2010, 08:45 PM
OH and I really think that Chris Collins will be a phenomenal coach on day! GO DUKE

Are you sure he isn't right now?

11-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Are you sure he isn't right now?

Believe he meant as a Head Coach for someone.

blazindw
11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I recorded the re-run of the 1st episode, and they actually fixed the graphic at the beginning! In the re-run, they correct list Dawkins as the one walking into Cameron with Kelly. That's pretty good of them to notice that they messed up and fix it for the future airings.

Kim*
11-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Any idea where I can watch this? I don't have ESPNU

Same here. Is anyone planning on uploading them online anywhere for those of us without ESPNU? :D

91_92_01_10_15
11-04-2010, 11:24 AM
I watched both episodes so far, and just read this thread and had a couple of points/observations.

First, to those who don't have ESPNU, you can probably add it (it's usually part of a sports package w/ Directv or cable) for like $5/month and then cancel it when you don't want it anymore with no penalty.

Second, what is up with the music on this series? Sounds like prisoner/chain gang music a la Cool Hand Luke or something. Is that a subtle stab at us? I don't know.

That said, I am really enjoying the rare behind the scenes look at practice, and Nolan was a fantastic representative of the school and the basketball program, as he always is, in the second episode.

Billy Dat
11-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Episode 3 was great an focused on the assistant coaches, particularly Collins, Wojo and Nate. It was essentially 30 minutes of practice with very little voiceover - and it was riveting. A couple of things jumped out:

-The coaches are constantly exhorting the players to play in practice like it is a game, especially in drills. There were lots of comments like, "Come on...game speed...game speed!"

-They are always encouraging the players but also catching and correcting every flaw. Wojo prodding Mason to run hard, etc.

-Obviously, with the ESPN article, the communication system is getting a lot of attention right now. Between the article and these episodes, I feel like I understand it a lot more. Two things that it stresses that I had never considered before are (A) that the team uses chatter as a way to battle fatigue and (B) they use it as a way to foster the 'next play' attitude. In either the ESPN article or one of the episodes, K says that when guys get down on themselves because of a bad play, it hurts the team because they withdraw into their own heads which, by definition, means they are being selfish and not team focused. By talking, they switch that focus to their teammates and it helps them move on. During Episode 3, you see Nate say to Andre during a scrimmage, "Come on Andre, start talking, get out of your own head!" Really interesting..

-One reason this show will not reveal any secrets that other programs could steal is because you can't build a program and culture like this over night. The program I am watching on this series is remarkable in scope, resources and efficiency. Between the players, coaches, staff and managers, there always seem to be about 50 people on the court at all times, all with something to do. They've got huge video displays courtside to show examples of video that can be immediately translated to on court execution, they've got managers shagging balls and feeding them to other managers who then feed the balls to other managers who stand next to the coaches handing them balls so that the coach doesn't have to break his concentration on the players for even a second. I imagine that when these kids leave, they might be relieved to have some more freedom, but they must also be depressed to enter a world that doesn't buzz with the same intensity - and I'm not talking about the games - I'm talking about the rest of it. Remarkable.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Great observations Billy Dat. I too was incredibly impressed and awed by the resources that the team has at their disposal. The point that Nolan made in the second episode that the players can come to the practice facilities and really never need to leave for anything was amazing.

I can also understand why so many former players come back. Not only do they get to interact with coaches/friends and eat at Honey's, but they have a world class facility to work out in.

The 3rd episode was very interesting in that it showed the coaching styles of the assistants. Wojo really has a strong bark doesn't he?

PADukeMom
11-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I was exhausted sitting on the couch watching our guys just practice. I can't even begin to imagine just how demanding their training really is.
I was really impressed with our assistant coaches. I now understand how blue their blood is.

11-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Great observations Billy Dat. I too was incredibly impressed and awed by the resources that the team has at their disposal. The point that Nolan made in the second episode that the players can come to the practice facilities and really never need to leave for anything was amazing.

I can also understand why so many former players come back. Not only do they get to interact with coaches/friends and eat at Honey's, but they have a world class facility to work out in.

The 3rd episode was very interesting in that it showed the coaching styles of the assistants. Wojo really has a strong bark doesn't he?

Yes he does!!! I was watching from my bed (1:30 am) and he started going off on how they did something wrong and it made me feel like I had to get up and run laps. It was really interesting to see that. He is deff ready to be a head coach some where.

lmb
11-04-2010, 01:51 PM
I think the 3rd episode showed me how little I know about basketball. I never really fancied myself an expert, but there were many times that I was pretty clueless as to what the assistants were talking about. Some of that may come from the editing and shooting since they were focused mostly on the coach and you couldn't always see what they were reacting to.

Am I the only one that was humbled?:o

BD80
11-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Episode 3 was great an focused on the assistant coaches, particularly Collins, Wojo and Nate. ...

To me it seemed a bit like an audition tape for Chris and Wojo. You know every AD in the nation is watching this series to get a glimpse of the "Gold Standard." When these ADs drop in on their own BB practices, they are likely to make comparisons.

Lord Ash
11-04-2010, 03:32 PM
I think the 3rd episode showed me how little I know about basketball. I never really fancied myself an expert, but there were many times that I was pretty clueless as to what the assistants were talking about. Some of that may come from the editing and shooting since they were focused mostly on the coach and you couldn't always see what they were reacting to.

Am I the only one that was humbled?:o

Nope! I was clueless on a LOT of the tech talk of basketball... but I still enjoyed listening to it!:)

roywhite
11-04-2010, 04:24 PM
-One reason this show will not reveal any secrets that other programs could steal is because you can't build a program and culture like this over night. The program I am watching on this series is remarkable in scope, resources and efficiency. Between the players, coaches, staff and managers, there always seem to be about 50 people on the court at all times, all with something to do. They've got huge video displays courtside to show examples of video that can be immediately translated to on court execution, they've got managers shagging balls and feeding them to other managers who then feed the balls to other managers who stand next to the coaches handing them balls so that the coach doesn't have to break his concentration on the players for even a second. I imagine that when these kids leave, they might be relieved to have some more freedom, but they must also be depressed to enter a world that doesn't buzz with the same intensity - and I'm not talking about the games - I'm talking about the rest of it. Remarkable.

Good observation. You know, we've actually heard that type comment from some of the players on the 2008 Olympic team and the 2010 USA team. Things like....best experience I've had in basketball, what a pleasure, almost sad to go back to our regular teams, etc.

Remarkable, indeed.

Zerogee
11-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Episode 4 was mostly a scrimmage. A few things that jumped out at me:

Kyrie was making sick move after sick move, and the coaches weren't even commenting... clearly these are becoming commonplace. He has amazing court vision as well, always knowing where everyone is in the limited sample we saw.
K, Collins and Wojo seem very high on Ryan. K at one point said that Ryan "is a weapon," and should be taking set shots and has a chance to make it from anywhere. They were also discussing ways to get him into the starting lineup. Backs up what people who have been following the off-season have been saying.
Hairston is a big body but looks a little lost - it will be interesting to see how much he contributes this year (likely not much).
Didn't see too much from Seth except for his drive on Singler that ended in a rejection
No one will be complaining about a "lack of athleticism" on this team

It was great to see the team practice - and it's even more exciting to know this was filmed a few weeks ago and they've already improved since then. This is going to be a special team.

pantone287
11-05-2010, 03:11 AM
K, Collins and Wojo seem very high on Ryan. K at one point said that Ryan "is a weapon," and should be taking set shots and has a chance to make it from anywhere. They were also discussing ways to get him into the starting lineup. Backs up what people who have been following the off-season have been saying.

Coaches' meeting of the minds at show's conclusion seemed to indicate K wasn't totally pleased with what he was seeing out the bigs in early practices. (Promise, but "something missing"). Be interested to see how Miles reacts to being pushed by Kelly so publicly. Great to see Ryan inspire some excitement from the staff, but hope Miles keeps plugging.

MCFinARL
11-05-2010, 08:53 AM
I watched both episodes so far, and just read this thread and had a couple of points/observations.

First, to those who don't have ESPNU, you can probably add it (it's usually part of a sports package w/ Directv or cable) for like $5/month and then cancel it when you don't want it anymore with no penalty.

Second, what is up with the music on this series? Sounds like prisoner/chain gang music a la Cool Hand Luke or something. Is that a subtle stab at us? I don't know.

That said, I am really enjoying the rare behind the scenes look at practice, and Nolan was a fantastic representative of the school and the basketball program, as he always is, in the second episode.

I agree about the music--I think it is definitely a chain gang song. Not sure it would have been intended as a stab at Duke specifically; it seems more likely just to have been someone's idea of a clever way to suggest that it takes a lot of really hard work to be a good basketball team. But I don't think it really worked, and the range of possible implications of comparing college basketball players to a prison work gang was a little discomforting.

oldnavy
11-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I agree about the music--I think it is definitely a chain gang song. Not sure it would have been intended as a stab at Duke specifically; it seems more likely just to have been someone's idea of a clever way to suggest that it takes a lot of really hard work to be a good basketball team. But I don't think it really worked, and the range of possible implications of comparing college basketball players to a prison work gang was a little discomforting.

Well Ty Lawson did compare playing at UNC to serving a prison sentence. I think the music was meant to highlight a couple of things... hard work, and the fact that we are in the deep south (tobacco road...). It reminded me a little of the movie "Crossroads" where the kid sold his soul to the devil to play the guitar... I liked it and didn't get any negative vibes from it.

On the communication front, I think that they are able to hear each other on the court, but more importantly, the more they communicate the less they will need to hear each other. What I mean is that as the year goes on, the verbal communication should become less important and other forms of communication become more instinctive as the kids get to know each other. Communication in practice over and over will help teach the players what to do without having to hear it. That is just my guess, but I think the really good teams know each other and know what to do instinctively or by a head nod or look. You will always have a need for the verbal aspect, but like I said I think that they are able to hear each other in most all cases.

PADukeMom
11-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Kyrie...WOW! I can't remember having a PG like him since Jason (never Jay) Williams. Ryan Kelly really impressed me last night. Looking forward to seeing him get some playing time this season. He just maybe this seasons Lance Thomas. Josh did the the "deer in the headlights" look about him but I am positive he will learn & grow during the season.
I can see Wojo very well being the head coach once K decides to retire.

91_92_01_10_15
11-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Well Ty Lawson did compare playing at UNC to serving a prison sentence.

I think that was Rashad McCants. My favorite part about that story was when a reporter asked Julius Hodge what he thought about McCants' comment, he shook his head and said, "I don't know, but I'd sure hate to shower with those guys."

Billy Dat
11-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Agree with Zerogee's comments and will add a few more:

-We finally got to see a litlte of the unvarnished K in this episode during the film session. He was making a point about how people only get better through practice. I laughed at his attempt to put the lesson into a context that the kids could relate to, and his slip of slight profanity, "You know those singing and dancing videos you guys like to watch, where it all looks effortless? Well, you don't think those guys practice that crap?"

-K's comment to Wojo during the scrimmage, "This is the longest Mason has ever played this good"

-It's really interesting to note the differences between Collins and Wojo. Collins, as befits the role of the assistant who deals with the sideline interviewers, seems smoother and looser. He's completely on top of his game, but there is a lightness in him. Wojo, on the other hand, seems to burn with such intensity that he's liable to pounce at any minute. You can see how they both reflect sides of K.

-The series seems to show K most frequently strategizing with Collins, Wojo and Nate - Spatola and Carawell never seem to be in that inner circle. Maybe it has to do with their ultimate responsibilities and military-esque chain of command, but it stood out to me.

-I could keep watching this show, it fascinates me. It makes we want to attend the coaching clinic next year to see it all up close.

homebre
11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Are any of the episodes on the Internet?

duke79
11-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Yea, I hated the music too. Not sure what it was intended to convey, but I muted my TV set every time it came on. Otherwise, an interesting look at how the team practices. Make you realize Division I basketball at this level is NOT a walk in the park for the players.

D.C. Devil
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
So tonight's episode on ESPN2 was a repeat. Does anybody know if there is a second new hour-long episode, and if so when?

Date Time (ET) Network
Wed, Nov 3 7 p.m. ESPNU
Thu, Nov 4 7 p.m. ESPNU

Date Time (ET) Network
Tue, Nov 9 9 p.m. ESPNU
Thu, Nov 11 8 p.m. ESPN2

jacone21
11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
So tonight's episode on ESPN2 was a repeat. Does anybody know if there is a second new hour-long episode, and if so when?

I get the feeling that was it, especially with the way the episode ended with Kyle's quote. Seemed like a wrap to me. But I could be wrong.

That said, I really enjoyed the shows. I've complained about ESPN personnel hating on Duke in the past, but man... those shows played like a recruiting video. Ole Roy probably agrees.

But seriously, that series was awesome for the basketball program. The staff and all the players were presented in a great light and they all represented the program incredibly well.

Enjoy the journey this year, folks. We're lucky fans!

SeattleIrish
11-11-2010, 11:28 PM
As soon as someone finds a link to any archive of these episodes, a lot of us will greatly appreciate it!

thanks,

s.ii.

COYS
11-12-2010, 11:12 AM
As soon as someone finds a link to any archive of these episodes, a lot of us will greatly appreciate it!

thanks,

s.ii.

I've been looking feverishly but to no avail.

Bluedog
11-12-2010, 11:31 AM

thanks,

s.ii.

I've been looking feverishly but to no avail.

Certainly not a complete archive, but here is at least a clip of Coach K in the film room talking to players:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/91475/duke-all-access-film-room

And here is the Casey Peters story/talking about managers that was covered during the special:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/91624/duke-all-access-casey-peters

Makes you want to watch the entire hour, doesn't it?! :)

COYS
11-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Certainly not a complete archive, but here is at least a clip of Coach K in the film room talking to players:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/91475/duke-all-access-film-room

And here is the Casey Peters story/talking about managers that was covered during the special:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/91624/duke-all-access-casey-peters

Makes you want to watch the entire hour, doesn't it?! :)

Yeah, I watched those earlier and it was basically like being offered a single french fry when you're starving and can see others eating gigantic burgers.