PDA

View Full Version : The Coach's Box Breaks Down SLOB

airowe
10-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm very lucky to have this basketball mind as a contributor to my site and thought a lot of the bright basketball fans over here at DBR would enjoy reading this detailed breakdown of a SLOB (sideline out of bounds) play from a 2005 game vs St. John's. Coach Ryan Mattocks will be a regular contributor to DHB, so I'll be sure to pass on his articles as they come out.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/10/28/the-coachs-box-with-coach-mattocks/

airowe
10-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Did anybody get a chance to read this? I'd love some feedback on these as this is the first one of many.

Too long? Too much basketball lingo?

-jk
10-28-2010, 11:37 PM
I rather enjoyed it.

-jk

moonpie23
10-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Did anybody get a chance to read this? I'd love some feedback on these as this is the first one of many.

nice read, i'd guess that for the average fan, it's a bit too long, but prolly the subject is just a bit too old......might be more interesting (now) to read something similar on Z's deliberate foul shot miss..

please ask coach mattocks NOT to break down the last two minutes of '99.....i throw up reading about rip hamilton....

but it's a really nice piece...

Bob Green
10-28-2010, 11:42 PM

I read it and thought it was a good read. It wasn't too long and "too much basketball lingo" is a non-starter in my book. When reading articles about basketball, I expect lots of basketball lingo.

Please link future similar articles you post on your site. Thanks!

Bob Green
10-28-2010, 11:45 PM
but prolly the subject is just a bit too old......

I have to disagree as the subject is the sideline out of bounds play. There is nothing old about that subject.

striker219
10-29-2010, 12:04 AM
I liked it, but I can see how it could be a bit much for the non-diehards. Thumbs up.

Can't say I'm particularly excited about the next edition of The Coach's Box though.

Next I’ll break down the Duke/North Carolina State game from last year and detail how the Pack was able to victimize the Devils in the halfcourt with backscreens and cutters out of a 5-high alignmen.

Blah. That was hard enough to watch once.

airowe
10-29-2010, 12:07 AM
nice read, i'd guess that for the average fan, it's a bit too long, but prolly the subject is just a bit too old......might be more interesting (now) to read something similar on Z's deliberate foul shot miss..

please ask coach mattocks NOT to break down the last two minutes of '99.....i throw up reading about rip hamilton....

but it's a really nice piece...

I appreciate the feedback everyone!

Moonpie, I kind of agree with you that with everyone so amped up for the season to start, breaking down plays from '05 might not get everyone as excited as something more topical.

I promise, they will be just that throughout the season. And I'll pass your suggestion along as well. I like the idea, we'll see if Coach does.

Orange&BlackSheep
10-29-2010, 03:39 AM

Without the excessive attention to detail the post would be boring. His emphasis on watching the spacing before the play began was particularly on point and interesting.

O&B Sheep

NSDukeFan
10-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Without the excessive attention to detail the post would be boring. His emphasis on watching the spacing before the play began was particularly on point and interesting.

O&B Sheep

I agree with O&B Sheep and Bob Green that this may not be an article for non-diehards, or those interested in details of the game, and the excessive attention to detail and basketball lingo are not at all boring to me. I liked it, thanks.

JohnGalt
10-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I agree with O&B Sheep and Bob Green that this may not be an article for non-diehards, or those interested in details of the game, and the excessive attention to detail and basketball lingo are not at all boring to me. I liked it, thanks.

More than likely though, it will be the diehards that are reading airowe's blog, no?

I enjoyed it tremendously and look forward to reading them with regularity.

Is there any particular reason he chose that specific play from 5 years ago? I imagine there have been others like it since, which is why I ask. I suppose my question is sort of along the same lines as moonpie's. Why didn't he choose a more recent example? (not that there's anything wrong with using past examples)

Keep them coming, for sure!

MChambers
10-29-2010, 12:01 PM
More than likely though, it will be the diehards that are reading airowe's blog, no?

I enjoyed it tremendously and look forward to reading them with regularity.

Is there any particular reason he chose that specific play from 5 years ago? I imagine there have been others like it since, which is why I ask. I suppose my question is sort of along the same lines as moonpie's. Why didn't he choose a more recent example? (not that there's anything wrong with using past examples)

Keep them coming, for sure!
I'll second that. I'll keep reading them. Do need to have some quiet time without interruptions to make sure I'm getting all of his points, but I'll make sure to read it thoroughly this weekend.

D.C. Devil
10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
This installment seems to be missing a piece ("For this initial installment, I’ll break down two situations (one offensive, one defensive) involving backscreens and how Duke’s respective teams either executed or defended them"). Or is it I who is missing a piece?

Regardless, the post is very informative. From the analysis, St. John's did at least two things flat wrong (no ball pressure, no communication) and employed two tactical strategies (no switch on screens, minimal sag by Dock's defender) that did not serve them well. It's a wonder that the play ever works. Not that I fault teams for trying, especialy when the payoff can be so spectacular and when "failure" can still result in JJ's having the ball at the point with a big man trying to guard hi.

NSDukeFan
10-29-2010, 12:54 PM
This installment seems to be missing a piece ("For this initial installment, I’ll break down two situations (one offensive, one defensive) involving backscreens and how Duke’s respective teams either executed or defended them"). Or is it I who is missing a piece?

Regardless, the post is very informative. From the analysis, St. John's did at least two things flat wrong (no ball pressure, no communication) and employed two tactical strategies (no switch on screens, minimal sag by Dock's defender) that did not serve them well. It's a wonder that the play ever works. Not that I fault teams for trying, especialy when the payoff can be so spectacular and when "failure" can still result in JJ's having the ball at the point with a big man trying to guard hi.

You would hope to have better help side from the top guard on the opposite side, but I can certainly understand how the defenders might not switch on the back screen from Redick, as he would be the primary focus of the defense. That would make it quite difficult to guard the back screen if it was executed properly. All it takes is a bit of hesitation in switching that screen, the weak side defender not being in the best position and the in-bounder being able to see and make that pass for it to work.

dchen09
10-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Even as a non-die hard, I loved it. Always wanted to know more about how set plays work.

Reddevil
10-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Absolutely love it! This is why football fans enjoy watching Ron Jaworski break down film. We are always thirsting for more than the usual fluff. I know a bunch of us appreciate this type of analysis. Thank you!

COYS
10-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Moonpie, I kind of agree with you that with everyone so amped up for the season to start, breaking down plays from '05 might not get everyone as excited as something more topical.

I promise, they will be just that throughout the season. And I'll pass your suggestion along as well. I like the idea, we'll see if Coach does.

I really liked it, Adam. Love seeing strategy broken down like that. Plus, who wants to bet we're going to see the return of this play a lot this season with Mason and Miles. With a lineup of Seth, Nolan, Kyrie, and Kyle plus Mason, opposing defenders won't be able to sag off at all for risk of giving up an open three. I bet Mason will have a number of opportunities to throw down some nasty oops off of SLOBs.

dbluedevil222
10-29-2010, 02:39 PM
I think the article needs a lot more white space. It's not the length that's a problem... but the giant paragraphs of text. Learn Tech Writing!

Bob Green
10-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Now you need to have the coach breakdown a BLOB.

airowe
10-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Now you need to have the coach breakdown a BLOB.

I've already brought up the one in the title game where Jon threw the ball up to Kyle before the defense was set.

I think that may have had more to do with Jon's forward-thinking than with coaching though...

JMarley50
10-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Its a nice read and maybe I'm over-analyzing, but he didn't really go into as much detail as he could have. He gave an abbreviated breakdown of that play. For one...he makes it sound like the sole intent of that play was to get the lob to Josh. But that's definitely not the case, the lob was merely the first of several options. He did kind of hint at that when he said its often not available but didn't really go into further detail.

The thing that I noticed (which I'm sure the coach did too but chose not to go into more detail) was that as the pass was being made, the landlord had turned and was going to set another back screen for J.J. Had the pass not been made to Josh, Shelden would have set a screen for J.J. and he would have two options depending on what his defender did. If his defender chased him over the top of the screen he would have curled towards the basket, looking for an easy lay-up. If his defender had cheated slipped under the screen J.J. would have popped out to the wing for an open jumper.

Lets say the defender trailed J.J. so he curled towards the basket and couldn't get the ball. He would continue to run through the lane off of another screen set by Josh on the weak side block and go to the weak side corner. Paulus would then look to either hit Shelden who would have rolled back to the strong side block after screening for JJ, or skip it to Dockery on the opposite wing. If it got to Dockery, he would have a couple of options as well... Shoot it, kick it to JJ in the corner, or dribble it out and reset.

Just think there is only 5 seconds to run that all of the way through.

Bob Green
10-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Its a nice read and maybe I'm over-analyzing, but he didn't really go into as much detail as he could have.

Nice post. Thanks for walking through the rest of the options had the lob pass not been available.

I'm pretty certain a key reason the lob was available is due to St. John's defense being focused on J.J. Redick. Duke loved to run out of bounds plays designed to achieve an open look at the basket for Redick. In this case, Redick was initially utilized to set the screen, which resulted in him being a decoy facilitating an open lob for McRoberts.

Devilsfan
10-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Are you implying that Jon's BB instinctive play didn't always result from superior coaching. We will miss his grey matter on the court, but we'll have an abundance of athleticism and speed for compensation.