PDA

View Full Version : Hire some REAL communications managers WRAL

cf-62
10-27-2010, 09:47 PM
WRAL had a classic mis-use of social media tonight.

During their 40 minute diatribe that included showing "rules of tornados" 12 times, they posted that you could see Criminal Minds on WRAL2 on their Facebook page, but didn't announce it during the coverage, nor put a message on the screen telling viewers where to go.

For Facebook to be the single outlet of programming information for a tv station is ludicrous.

Fire those Gen-Y'ers running your communications. They're morons.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-27-2010, 10:27 PM

During their 40 minute diatribe that included showing "rules of tornados" 12 times, they posted that you could see Criminal Minds on WRAL2 on their Facebook page, but didn't announce it during the coverage, nor put a message on the screen telling viewers where to go.

For Facebook to be the single outlet of programming information for a tv station is ludicrous.

They DID announce it on the air. I watdhed it on channel 106.

cf-62
10-27-2010, 10:32 PM
They DID announce it on the air. I watdhed it on channel 106.

They announced it at 9:27! That's fairly useless.

alteran
10-28-2010, 11:29 AM

WARL once destroyed a Duke basketball game (maybe against UNC) with their moronic Weather Tracker(tm) Doppler 10 Million(tm) Accu-Annoyer(tm) screen graphics.

It had a graphic on the left which went from the bottom to the middle of the screen, showing a map of central NC, and blinking all the counties with thunderstorms warnings.

The right bottom third was a huge WRAL logo also eating up to half the right side of the screen, and then they had a bright red crawl between them listing all the counties with thunderstorm warnings.

Since the top third of a basketball broadcast is just the crowd, they easily killed more than two-thirds of the meaningful screen space.

To tell us there were Thunderstorms! in North Carolina! Quelle Horreur! In Alaska they'd probably interrupt coverage of the Iditarod to tell them that it was below 50 degrees.

I kept the station manager on the phone for 45 minutes the following Monday, and every moment was a pleasure. I think they had a "no hang up" policy, because he wouldn't hang up on me. (I didn't use foul language, I just told him the same butt obvious things over and over idiotically to no purpose.)

Kind of like they did.

Ooops, I'm late for my anger management class.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Agreed, it should definitely have been tweeted.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I kept the station manager on the phone for 45 minutes the following Monday, and every moment was a pleasure. I think they had a "no hang up" policy, because he wouldn't hang up on me. (I didn't use foul language, I just told him the same butt obvious things over and over idiotically to no purpose.)

Kind of like they did.

Ooops, I'm late for my anger management class.
Obviously you were calling him a butt head, butt in nicer terms?:cool::D

cf-62
11-06-2010, 05:39 PM
As an update, WRAL - of course - blew their chance to re-air Criminal Minds by airing it on WRAL 2 (which isn't actually called WRAL 2).

Back to the Communications aspect, a post EARLIER in the day (lost of course in the mayhem and weather warnings was an earlier "pre-empted" statement saying that WRAL 2 was on 106.

If it were my team, I would point out that we need a "standard" set of information for pre-emption posts - and outlets - whenever there is a pre-emption.

They have opened up for comments on their facebook page (but no actual vote).

Kimist
11-06-2010, 09:26 PM
WRAL is probably too busy training their news folks how to properly turn and nod at each other every three seconds. (1, 2, 3.....turn!) Bill Leslie is absolutely the worst (or is he the best-trained??).

C'mon guys - you talk to the audience/viewer and not to each other. You can always do the "folksy" thing at more appropriate times.

I shall now descend from my soap box.

k