PDA

View Full Version : Help with information about Maryland story?

BCGroup
06-09-2007, 08:01 AM
My dad just called--he heard or read a story about an investigation of Maryland athletics, but he can't remember where he hear/read it, except that it was this week sometime. All he remembers is:
The Baltimore Sun planned an expose of Maryland athletics with 39 drug abuse violations in the past few years (can't remember the dates). Yow, the athletic director, in order to diffuse the impact, emailed all supportors/donors with information.

He thinks he might have been driving and heard it, or he thought he saw it here on DBR, but I've been out of town and can't find it now. Any help? Thanks in advance.

weezie
06-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Wow. No info yet but any developments will help take the sting out of saying good-bye to "The Sopranos."

No wonder Gary looked so gray-tinted at the NCAAs. Tick-tock, little G.

Olympic Fan
06-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I very much doubt this story ... just re-read the first post and see how vague it is -- his father "thinks" he either heard it on the radio or read it on the DBR???

I did a google search and can't find any hint of a brewing drug scandal at Maryland. I very much doubt that it was on the radio when nothing about it has appeared in a newspaper.

Now, Maryland basketball does have a growing problem with the APR -- a year ago, all four seniors in the Caner-Medley, Garrison class dropped out of school after the season without finishing the semester. THAT is a a real problem and one that Maryland has acknowledged and is trying to combat.

But this drug fantasy ... I want to see something more substantial before I believe it.

jimsumner
06-09-2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.accsports.com/mailbag/xxx/mailbagxxx19y.jsp

This is the letter that Debbie Yow sent out to Maryland supporters than apparently forestalled the article.

BCGroup
06-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks so much--I knew someone here would help out. Sorry I was so vague--it was all my dad gave me and I was stumped. Jim, I know you are approached by lots of people, but my dad and I met you at a game last year--he had given me a copy of your book and you were gracious enough to meet us and sign it for me, so thanks for that too!

arnie
06-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Is this the same Maryland AD that would not apologize for MD fans behavior after a fan hit Boozer's mom with the bottle. Seemed like she said all fans behave that way with Duke fans being worse that most.

gw67
06-11-2007, 07:58 AM
I read the story several days ago in the Sun and, IMO, it was NOT an expose at all. If anything, it showed that Maryland, particularly the Fridge, is keeping a tight rein on the kids and that their experience is about what is expected for the college community at large. In fact, if I remember correctly, the paper sent out the questionnaire to several public universities and only three responded, including Maryland (Georgia Tech?), and the Terps were found to have better data than the others. In summary, I expected a hatchet job when heard of the investigation on the TV but my read of the article was that they simply showed that some athletes got off track but that the Maryland athletic department was doing a reasonably good job.

I will run down the story and post it.

gw67

gw67
06-11-2007, 08:14 AM
For those who are interested, the "expose" link is below:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bal-sp.maryland27may27,1,5712335.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

gw67

BCGroup
06-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for this one too--I think Yow did a good proactive job of getting information out. And the story was not bad at all about Maryland; I did think it came across positive.