PDA

View Full Version : MSU Game

Sandman
10-26-2010, 06:10 PM
I know it's early yet, but the Michigan State game is going to create megahype. The best 2 teams in preseason polls going head-to-head in Cameron, with bragging rights and Duke's non-conference victory streak on the line (assuming no unimaginable early upsets). Bound to be promoted to a surreal level by ESPN. However, this game is so early in the season, it may not be indicative of the relative strengths of these teams come March. I'm wondering --- which team (Duke or MSU) will come into this game as the most cohesive team. Both return starters from last year's Final 4 team, both have great coaches and talented players all around, so does either team have an edge due to the timing of the game??.

D.C. Devil
10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I know it's early yet, but the Michigan State game is going to create megahype. The best 2 teams in preseason polls going head-to-head in Cameron, with bragging rights and Duke's non-conference victory streak on the line (assuming no unimaginable early upsets). Bound to be promoted to a surreal level by ESPN. However, this game is so early in the season, it may not be indicative of the relative strengths of these teams come March. I'm wondering --- which team (Duke or MSU) will come into this game as the most cohesive team. Both return starters from last year's Final 4 team, both have great coaches and talented players all around, so does either team have an edge due to the timing of the game??.

Great question. Duke is losing two hue glue pieces in Jon and Lance. For all of his gifts, I think that Kyle and Nolan may struggle a bit to assume real leadership of this team at first. Add to that a freshman at the point, and early season cohesion could be an issue. And while K can't seem to hide a grin when talking about the potential of this team, he's been consistent in warning that there will be a learning curve.

On the other hand, MSU is returning its stud PG, Summers and Green. BUT, the 2010 MSU team that made an overachieving run to the FF was actually led at point by Lucious. Lucas is coming off of a serious injury and so he may be rusty and his team may need to reacclimate a bit to his leadership.

What it all comes down to, in my mind, is that MSU is likely to be the more "cohesive" team, at least insofar as "cohesive" means the ability to play close to their potential, and consistently. That said, Duke will be more talented, at home, and I think pretty far into their own maturation process. Looking forward to it.

dchen09
10-26-2010, 08:47 PM
On the other hand, MSU has a tradition of starting slow off the blocks. 2 years ago, they had some bad losses against Maryland, Penn State and Northwestern while last year they lost against UF, UNC, and Texas. Seems like its a tradition for them to lose to an ACC team so hopefully we can keep it going :-D

flyingdutchdevil
10-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Great question. Duke is losing two hue glue pieces in Jon and Lance. For all of his gifts, I think that Kyle and Nolan may struggle a bit to assume real leadership of this team at first.

Why do you think that? Nolan has been a great mentor to Dawkins and has taken all three freshman under his wing. Singler is a four-year starter who is the pre-season NPOY. He will garner respect from his teammates. While this doesn't lead to leadership right away, it certainly helps.

I think that leadership on this team will NOT be a problem. Jon and Lance weren't spectacular leaders their junior seasons but turned out great during their senior years.

I have full faith in Singler, Smith, and, no a much lesser extent, Miles Plumlee. They are familiar with the system, can be vocal, and certainly gel well with their teammates.

Against MSU, I think the main issue will be team defense. That is a trait that will develop throughout the year and will probably not be solid by December.

plimnko
10-27-2010, 06:55 AM
eventhough kyrie irving is only a freshman, i would not discount his ability to step up and be a leader from day one. this kid is SPECIAL!!

noyac
10-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Great question. Duke is losing two hue glue pieces in Jon and Lance.

Please don't discount what Zoubs did by not including him as a huge piece to the puzzle last year. I think what he did inspired others to play harder and showed alot. I know the other two are great leaders but Zoubs was also a leader to last years team.

Jeff Frosh
10-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Not to jinx it, but our non-conference home winning streak will be at 80 games going into this game.

ice-9
10-27-2010, 12:57 PM
What's interesting is hearing Izzo and Coach K try to manage expectations for what a game this early in the season could mean.

There's Izzo on Kalin Lucas and how he'll need some time to get acclimated...that there's no doubt by season's end Lucas would be great, but the question is what happens pre-conference. (Translation: if we lose early, don't punish us too much when it comes to tourney seeding because we needed time with Lucas.)

Then there's Coach K on how this is a new team with a new offense and new things to learn. That he's coaching for how the team will do in March and April, not necessarily how it'll do in the short-term. (Translation: if we lose early, don't punish us too much when it comes to tourney seeding because we needed time with the new players and system.)

Nevertheless, I expect this to be an epic game with both coaches determined to make a statement about who's the top dog.

jimsumner
10-27-2010, 01:13 PM
No disrespect folks but Duke could well have to play a top-five Kansas State team in Kansas City prior to the Michigan State game.

A K-State win would be an upset but hardly an "unimaginable" upset. Very imaginable, IMO.

Acymetric
10-27-2010, 01:39 PM
No disrespect folks but Duke could well have to play a top-five Kansas State team in Kansas City prior to the Michigan State game.

A K-State win would be an upset but hardly an "unimaginable" upset. Very imaginable, IMO.

Jim, not to speak for someone else but I got the impression that the poster was referring to the home court non-conference winning streak...which I think is a streak we can expect to remain in place for the MSU game barring a huge performance from Princeton, Miami (Ohio), or Colgate.

Side note, I believe former Duke football player Dick Biddle is the football coach at Colgate.

jimsumner
10-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Jim, not to speak for someone else but I got the impression that the poster was referring to the home court non-conference winning streak...which I think is a streak we can expect to remain in place for the MSU game barring a huge performance from Princeton, Miami (Ohio), or Colgate.

Side note, I believe former Duke football player Dick Biddle is the football coach at Colgate.

You're probably right. The OP left that out.

I do think people are overlooking how difficult that trip to KC might be.

On the other hand, I understand that everything is up to date in Kansas City. :)

Duvall
10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
I do think people are overlooking how difficult that trip to KC might be.

On the other hand, I understand that everything is up to date in Kansas City. :)

Plus Duke has to get past the preseason Ivy League favorites (http://ivyleague.prestosports.com/sports/mbkb/2010-11/releases/Princeton_Picked_as_Mens_Basketball_Preseason_Favo rite_for_the_2010-11_Season) first.

jimsumner
10-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Plus Duke has to get past the preseason Ivy League favorites (http://ivyleague.prestosports.com/sports/mbkb/2010-11/releases/Princeton_Picked_as_Mens_Basketball_Preseason_Favo rite_for_the_2010-11_Season) first.

Trivia question. What's the great connection between Duke basketball and Princeton basketball? And it's not Bill Bradley.

weezie
10-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Ahahaha, that's a joke, right?! :)

Vincetaylor
10-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Regardless of what the teams are ranked going into this...hopefully 1 and 2, this is the biggest non-conference game in Cameron in 18 years. Their was huge hype around the Michigan game in 1992-93 and the atmosphere was electric. I expect no different for this game. Actually, the hype and the atmosphere should be even greater since in 92-93 Duke and Michigan weren't picked head and shoulders above the rest of the country like Duke and MSU are.

DisplacedBlueDevil
10-27-2010, 08:31 PM
The whole thing will hinge on Lucas' Achilles. If he's not at full strength by 12/1, the Spartans have no chance of winning in Cameron because they won't have the experienced backcourt needed to win in that environment. If he is ready, expect them to go full bore, all out for 40 minutes. Izzo has been trying to be Coach K North forever and a win in Cameron may mean as much to him as a National Semi-Final. If they don't have Lucas, not only do they lose his experience and PG skills, but also his 3-point shooting, which they will need with the loss of Chris Allen. Plus, Lucious is still questionable with a knee, and they'll need his 3 as well, so if the L&L boys aren't ready, Duke should keep its streak intact. If MSU is at full strength, you'll want to keep your ticket for this game.

LetItBD08
10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Trivia question. What's the great connection between Duke basketball and Princeton basketball? And it's not Bill Bradley.

We beat them in the first game ever at Cameron, 36-27, on January 6, 1940?

http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/history/histnotes/eddie_cameron.html