PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Singler's Stat Records

BattierD12
10-25-2010, 07:15 PM
So I remember there being a countdown to 2K points for Scheyer last year but haven't seen anything yet for Singler. I want to say Jumbo was in charge of this but I just read he hasn't been posting here for a while, so I thought I'd at least give a little overview of Kyle's stats and what he needs to do to obtain various records.

Currently, Singler is at:

Rebounds: 762
Assists: 233
Blocks: 95
Steals: 134

Needless to say, 2000 is will be coming by fairy early in the season. Let's say he averages around 18 pts a game, similar to his scoring output last year, it will take 13 games for him to pass 2000. However, it's hard to say right now what his average will be, as he is definitely improved since last year and there will be more possessions a game because of our speed, but the ball will be shared by more scorers.

Since 2000 is a given, barring injury, let's see where Singler could end up in Duke all time scoring list.

1. J.J. Redick: 2769
2. Johnny Dawkins: 2556
3. Christian Laettner: 2460
4. Mike Gminski: 2323
5. Danny Ferry: 2155
6.Mark Alaire: 2136
7.Gene Banks: 2079 tied
Jason Williams: 2079
9. Jon Schyer: 2077
10. Jim Spanarkel: 2012

For a rough estimation, let's assume Singler scores 18 pts/game and plays 40 games this season. That would put him around 2480, which is just above Laettner. JJ is safe and Singler would need a Jason Williams record season (which was 849 points) to pass Dawkins. For now, let's base our calculations on Singler potentially passing Laettner, which would seem rather fitting based on the comparisons drawn between these two players for their toughness and perhaps both potentially leading Duke teams to two championships.

To pass Laettner, Singler needs 693 points. At minimum, we will be playing 33 games (1 game per March tournament). The max is 40. These are the following averages Singler needs to attain based on the different number of games possible:

33: 21 ppg
34: 20.38 ppg
35: 19.8 ppg
36: 19.25 ppg
37: 18.73 ppg
38: 18.24 ppg
39: 17.77 ppg
40: 17.33 ppg

This will be fun to watch over the course of the season. Once we get a better idea of scoring output and distribution, I may add averages he needs to pass Dawkins. I've got to run to orchestra practice now, but I'll be back later tonight to look at Rebounding stats and other all-around player records. If someone else wants to get started, feel free.

JohnGalt
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
I've been hoping this thread would get started for some time now. I'm afraid though that since you've started it, you may now be in charge of maintaining it, as well. After each game, we need updates as to how Kyle's performance enhanced or lessened his likelihood of attaining some pretty remarkable records. After reading what you wrote I got to thinking that Kyle has a very reasonable chance of going down as the only Devil with 2000 points, 1000 rebounds, and 300 assists, correct?

Not to mention he'll probably have 130 blocks or so putting him around 6th...

Wow! What a stat stuffer!

BattierD12
10-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Duke's Rebound Leaders:

1. Shelden Williams: 1262
2. Mike Gminski: 1242
3. Christian Laettner: 1149
4. Randy Denton: 1067
5. Mike Lewis: 1051
6. Danny Ferry: 1003
7. Gene Banks: 985
8. Ronnie Mayer: 954
9. Bernie Janicki: 923
10. Shane Battier: 887

At 7 rebounds a game (his average for the past two years) for forty games, Singler will have 1042 rebounds, good for 6th all time.

Duke Block Leaders:

1. Shelden Williams: 422
2. Mike Gminski: 345
3. Cherokee Parks: 231
4. Shane Battier: 166
5. Christian Laettner: 148
6. Grant Hill: 133
7. Chris Carrawell: 114
8. Elton Brand: 113
9. Antonio Lang: 106
10. Mark Alarie: 104

Singler averaged 0.8 blocks/game last season and 0.9 for his career. Over 40 games, thats about 32-36 blocks, so he'll most likely up #7 all time.

Potentially, we're looking at #3 all time in scoring, #6 all time in rebounding, and #7 all time in blocks. Nice.

Namtilal
10-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Kyle is capable of averaging 20+, but I don't think this team needs that. I think he will improve as a player this year, he will likely have several games of 30+, but I don't think he'll score as much as last year. Just my gut instinct.

BattierD12
10-25-2010, 09:34 PM
I've been hoping this thread would get started for some time now. I'm afraid though that since you've started it, you may now be in charge of maintaining it, as well. After each game, we need updates as to how Kyle's performance enhanced or lessened his likelihood of attaining some pretty remarkable records. After reading what you wrote I got to thinking that Kyle has a very reasonable chance of going down as the only Devil with 2000 points, 1000 rebounds, and 300 assists, correct?

Not to mention he'll probably have 130 blocks or so putting him around 6th...

Wow! What a stat stuffer!

Yep, with 96 assists last year, and a plethora of scoring options, Singler should easily pass 300 assists.

I'll also be happy to update the stats after every game. I usually go straight to DBR after coming back from Cameron and with the easy senior year schedule I have, it won't be a burden at all.

juise
10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Kyle is capable of averaging 20+, but I don't think this team needs that. I think he will improve as a player this year, he will likely have several games of 30+, but I don't think he'll score as much as last year. Just my gut instinct.

I agree that Kyle will probably not need to shoulder the same portion of the scoring load that he did last year. However, I think this team will have more possessions and points per game than last year's team, which could help him maintain or bolster his numbers.

-jk
10-25-2010, 10:39 PM

After reading what you wrote I got to thinking that Kyle has a very reasonable chance of going down as the only Devil with 2000 points, 1000 rebounds, and 300 assists, correct?

I think Danny Ferry might have something to say on the subject.

-jk

COYS
10-25-2010, 11:42 PM
I agree that Kyle will probably not need to shoulder the same portion of the scoring load that he did last year. However, I think this team will have more possessions and points per game than last year's team, which could help him maintain or bolster his numbers.

It will be interesting to see what effect the changed pace and style has on Kyle. If Duke plays as fast as . . . say UNC in 2005 and 2009 (73.9 or to make math easier, 74 possessions per game according to kenpom.com (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=North%20Carolina&y=2009)) that would be about an 11.5% increase in possessions from last season. That would mean that if all other numbers are equal to last season (minutes per game, shooting percentages, usage rate, etc.) Kyle would average about 19.7 ppg. However, I think that a slight drop in minutes per game is in order and a slight drop in usage rate may occur, as well . . . especially if a few more of our possessions begin and end with Kyrie, Nolan, or one of our other guards stealing the ball and scoring on breakaways. This almost never happened last year and Kyle almost always got the ball in our halfcourt set with a chance to put points on the board. On the other hand, a few more breakaway layups for Kyle combined with what I think will be a more consistent season from 2 point range from Kyle (remember how cold he started last year?) may lead to a boost in his field goal percentage. I'd be willing to bet that we'll see close to 19 points per game from Kyle if he plays like he played last year, more or less, with a few fewer minutes but with a slight bump in field goal percentage and the faster pace keeping his scoring high. However, if he goes all JJ Redick senior year on us and dramatically increases his percentages from the floor and maybe even a slight increase at the line, we could see him reach 21-22 points per game . . . even with the balanced scoring surrounding him. JWil and Battier each had 21+ and 19+ in the same season with enough room for Boozer, Nate, and Dunleavy to all go for 12+. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nolan and Kyle in the range of Battier and Williams with Mason, Seth, and Kyrie still seeing the rock enough to be safely in double figures.

flyingdutchdevil
10-26-2010, 05:21 AM
Somebody is getting his jersey retired.

JohnGalt
10-26-2010, 07:58 AM
I think Danny Ferry might have something to say on the subject.

-jk

You're absolutely right...Ferry slipped my mind.

I guess we'll have to stick 100 blocks on the end of the stat line as well...all the more extraordinary.

superdave
10-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Somebody is getting his jersey retired.

Likely...although he will have to come back to Cameron for the ceremony whenever his NBA team comes to the East Coast for a game.

Has anyone looked at Nolan's place in the books?

BlueintheFace
10-26-2010, 01:14 PM
If Singler leads this team to another national championship putting up similar statistics to last year, there will be some very interesting discussions comparing him to the all-time Duke greats. If he wins the championship on a last second shot... well, nvmd.

JasonEvans
10-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Please note that the Nolan Smith retirement stuff has been moved to its own thread. This thread will be where we focus on Kyle's extremely impressive statistical achievements.

We can do a countdown of various statistical goals the same way we did with Scheyer last year. It might be fun to pick something truly challenging to achieve to see if he can get there. Most of ya'll should recall that the reason we had the Scheyer thread was that Jumbo and I said we thought Jon had a shot at getting to 2000 career points and many folks scoffed at the notion. We then started counting it down and it turned out pretty nicely!

--Jason "2000 points is a piece of cake for Kyle-- we need to shoot higher for him" Evans

Bob Green
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
--Jason "2000 points is a piece of cake for Kyle-- we need to shoot higher for him" Evans

Is 2557 a possibility? Singler will need to score 790 points to pass Johnny Dawkins and move into second place on Duke's career points scored list. If we play 40 games, he will need to average 19.75 points per game, which is possible but seems unlikely considering the number of scoring options Duke has available.

To pass Laettner, Singler will need to score 694 points, which is 17.35 ppg over 40 games. I say we set the goal at 2461 career points.

superdave
10-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Currently, Singler is at:

Rebounds: 762
Assists: 233
Blocks: 95
Steals: 134

1. J.J. Redick: 2769
2. Johnny Dawkins: 2556
3. Christian Laettner: 2460
4. Mike Gminski: 2323
5. Danny Ferry: 2155
6.Mark Alaire: 2136
7.Gene Banks: 2079 tied
Jason Williams: 2079
9. Jon Schyer: 2077
10. Jim Spanarkel: 2012

These are the following averages Singler needs to attain based on the different number of games possible:

33: 21 ppg
34: 20.38 ppg
35: 19.8 ppg
36: 19.25 ppg
37: 18.73 ppg
38: 18.24 ppg
39: 17.77 ppg
40: 17.33 ppg

This will be fun to watch over the course of the season. Once we get a better idea of scoring output and distribution, I may add averages he needs to pass Dawkins. I've got to run to orchestra practice now, but I'll be back later tonight to look at Rebounding stats and other all-around player records. If someone else wants to get started, feel free.

Here's a handy chart (attached, would not format) that shows season point totals (# of games across top, ppg down left side).

At 1767 currently, here's how several scenarios would look (also in attachment):

Pts*Games Season Career
17 * 37 629 2396
18 * 38 684 2451
19 * 39 741 2508
20 * 40 800 2567

Passing G-Man at 2323 is imminently doable. Passing Laettner at 2460 means repeating last years' 17.7 and 40 games (707 points). Passing Dawkins would require 790 points which is a lot given the fact that Kyl'es minutes are likely to dip and the scoring will be shared a little more.

Super "What's the goal? Pass Laettner or aim high for Johnny D?" Dave

airowe
10-27-2010, 02:50 PM
If you are thinking Kyle's minutes being cut will impact his point total for the season, don't forget to factor in all the things that will cause it to increase. Just off the top of my head:

-Increased possessions (Increased shots)
-Drive and Dish (Kyrie will draw defenses on penetrations, allowing Kyle to have more open shots)
-Seth and Dre (Defenses will have to honor nearly every player on the floor and Kyle won't face as many double teams)
-More comfort on the wing (after a full year and offseason, he'll be more accustomed to playing on the perimeter)
-All the camps and USA Select Team Training (He's better. Yeah, I said it.)
-2 Classes (That's all he needs to graduate. What else is he going to do but put up shots?)

uh_no
10-27-2010, 03:20 PM
-2 Classes (That's all he needs to graduate. What else is he going to do but put up shots?)

Are you really sure you want the answer to that last question????:p

superdave
10-27-2010, 03:32 PM
If you are thinking Kyle's minutes being cut will impact his point total for the season, don't forget to factor in all the things that will cause it to increase. Just off the top of my head:

-Increased possessions (Increased shots)
-Drive and Dish (Kyrie will draw defenses on penetrations, allowing Kyle to have more open shots)
-Seth and Dre (Defenses will have to honor nearly every player on the floor and Kyle won't face as many double teams)
-More comfort on the wing (after a full year and offseason, he'll be more accustomed to playing on the perimeter)
-All the camps and USA Select Team Training (He's better. Yeah, I said it.)

So in spite of reduced minutes - maybe 32 minutes per game this year - Kyle may score more efficiently because of a steadily improving % on 3's, easy transition buckets due to a running style and better half court looks due to a more traditional PG and a better cast of running mates.

Does that turn out to be a wash and 17.7 is still the most likely figure for him? Or are folks feeling more optimistic, like 18.5 or 19?

uh_no
10-27-2010, 04:11 PM
So in spite of reduced minutes - maybe 32 minutes per game this year - Kyle may score more efficiently because of a steadily improving % on 3's, easy transition buckets due to a running style and better half court looks due to a more traditional PG and a better cast of running mates.

Does that turn out to be a wash and 17.7 is still the most likely figure for him? Or are folks feeling more optimistic, like 18.5 or 19?

I'm super optimistic about kyle this year....i think the fact that we'll always have 5 weapons on the floor meaning he won't get double teamed, increase fouls on the other team from the faster play will result in more FT....I'm calling close to 20/gm for kyle

JasonEvans
10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Kyle is a stat stuffer-- shouldn't we be looking beyond the simple accumulation of points?

-Jason "I think Dawkins is a lofty goal, perhaps too lofty" Evans

uh_no
10-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Kyle is a stat stuffer-- shouldn't we be looking beyond the simple accumulation of points?

-Jason "I think Dawkins is a lofty goal, perhaps too lofty" Evans

yes, we should be looking at accumulations of awards and championships as well :P

BattierD12
11-15-2010, 01:11 AM
With 16 points tonight, Kyle Singler is now up to 1683 points. Despite the game being a blowout and foul trouble, he still got a good share of points. However, we will have no clear indication of where his average will hover until a few more games into the season.

To pass Laettner, Singler needs the following:

32: 21.2 ppg
33: 20.5 ppg
34: 19.9 ppg
35: 19.3 ppg
36: 18.8 ppg
37: 18.3 ppg
38: 17.8 ppg
39: 17.4 ppg

Kyle also had 2 blocks, so he now has 97 his whole career. This puts him close to Alarie's mark of 104 at #10 all time.

On the downside, Kyle had just 4 rebounds today, below his career average of 7. On the whole, rebounding wasn't superb for Duke today, so we'll have to see if rebounding is going to take a dip due to the up tempo style of play we have.

G man
11-15-2010, 02:19 AM
I am so glad we started this thread. Think of everything he had to do for DUKE. We asked him to play 5,4, and now the 3. He has been an absolute God send for this team. Without him I am not sure where we would be today. I hope he climbs to the top of the leader boards.

NovaScotian
11-28-2010, 10:18 PM
so, would anyone less lazy than me care to update this thread?

superdave
11-28-2010, 10:27 PM

At his current pace, he'll be aiming for G-man rather than Laettner. But Kyle did start slowly last year and finished the season really strong, so it's too early to say where he's likely to wind up.

CDu
11-28-2010, 10:27 PM

By my count, Singler is currently at 1,864 points, or 597 away from passing Laettner. To pass Laettner, he'd need the following (depending on the number of remaining games):

34 games left: 17.6 ppg
33 games left: 18.1 ppg
32 games left: 18.7 ppg
31 games left: 19.3 ppg
30 games left: 19.9 ppg
29 games left: 20.6 ppg
28 games left: 21.3 ppg
27 games left: 22.1 ppg

basket1544
11-29-2010, 12:08 AM
The sad thing about watching this thread is there are only potentially 34 more games left to watch Kyle and Nolan in Duke uniforms. I don't think I can watch this thread this year.
In a more positive light, Kyle is all time 4th in offensive rebounding and has a chance to pass Shane at 338 but I don't think he can pass Christian at 374 offensive rebounds. He's 7th in defensive rebounding behind Ferry. Ferry has about 40+ more than Kyle does so that will take a little while to move up on.

BattierD12
11-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I was going to start again with the Mich. St. game once an overall flow was established in the season w.r.t. Kyle's minutes. I'll have a thorough update on all the stats Wednesday night.

On a side note, any ideas for a Nolan Smith thread and what his potential target can be?

phaedrus
11-29-2010, 09:12 AM
You can track Singler's place on the record books in multiple stat categories here. (http://www.scacchoops.com/ACCRecords.asp?sTeam=DU)

CDu
11-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I was going to start again with the Mich. St. game once an overall flow was established in the season w.r.t. Kyle's minutes. I'll have a thorough update on all the stats Wednesday night.

On a side note, any ideas for a Nolan Smith thread and what his potential target can be?

Bob Verga is 510 points ahead of Smith's 1,248 points right now at 1,758. How about targeting Verga? Or, for a 4-year player comparison, how about Bobby Hurley's 1,728 points (480 ahead of Smith)? Mullins (1,884) is probably out of reach, barring a monster senior year.

Subsequent edit: For reference, Smith is 636 points behind Mullins. So to catch Mullins, Smith would need 18.7 ppg AND for Duke to play in both the ACC and NCAA championship. Also, it would seem that any discussion/tracking of Smith's stats should go in a separate thread, right?

flyingdutchdevil
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Bob Verga is 510 points ahead of Smith's 1,248 points right now at 1,758. How about targeting Verga? Or, for a 4-year player comparison, how about Bobby Hurley's 1,728 points (480 ahead of Smith)? Mullins (1,884) is probably out of reach, barring a monster senior year.

Subsequent edit: For reference, Smith is 636 points behind Mullins. So to catch Mullins, Smith would need 18.7 ppg AND for Duke to play in both the ACC and NCAA championship. Also, it would seem that any discussion/tracking of Smith's stats should go in a separate thread, right?

Mods - can you please create a thread for Nolan's Stat Records and place CDu's post in there?

Danke

phaedrus
12-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Singler crossed the 1900-point barrier in tonight's game. He now sits at 1909 points, good for 16th all-time and 16 points behind Grant Hill, who had 1925 points.

He recently moved into the top 30 all-time in assists, passing Sean Dockery and Shane Battier with 244 all-time.

He is currently 15th in rebounds, with 814, and can look forward to moving into the top 10 in the next month or so. Art Heyman sits in 10th place with 865 career rebounds.

In the steals category, Kyle is tied for 23rd with one of our best defensive players in recent memory, Demarcus Nelson.

Finally, he has been stuck at 99 blocks for some time, good for 13th all-time. Mark Alarie is next on the list with 104 career blocks.

I believe he is also in the top 10 in career three-pointers made, although I wasn't able to find a comprehensive list. Just from looking up players individually, I put together the following:

1. Redick - 457
2. Langdon - 342
3. Williams - 313
4. Scheyer - 297
5. Hurley - 264
6. Battier - 246
7. Capel - 220
8. Singler - 219
9. Ewing - 217
10. Paulus - 210
11. Collins - 209

No player in Duke history has better numbers across the board (i.e. in each category) than Singler's 1909 points, 814 rebounds, 244 assists, 99 blocks, 145 steals, and 219 three-pointers. There is a short list of players with comparable statistical profiles.

Laettner had 2464 points, 1149 rebounds, 273 assists, 145 blocks and 243 steals, but only around 100 3-pointers. Laettner is the only player to top Singler across the board in those first five categories. Hill, Battier, and Ferry had similarly versatile career totals but Singler has more rebounds than Grant, more blocks than Ferry, and more assists than Shane.

Also, with 30 more assists, Kyle will pass Laettner in that category, giving him the somewhat meaningful distinction of having better career numbers than any Duke player in history in at least one of the five major stat categories. This doesn't mean he will have the best overall statistical profile, of course, but is some indication of his versatility.

*I should note that several old-timers - Heyman, Banks, Gminski - may have been in this discussion if they had kept track of blocks and steals in their day.

MarkD83
12-12-2010, 09:31 AM
In the post game articles from the St. Louis game it was mentioned that Kyle passed Grant Hill on the all-time scoring list. Kyle also mentioned he was enjoying his senior year and wanted to go out with a bang.

It is about time we re-start some positive vibes on this board so I am moving this to the first page (rather than the bottom of the 2nd where I found it).

I will try to look up some stats and update the "what would Kyle have to avg. thing". It should be easy since Duke has 30 games left in the season

Also is there a place to track career wins?

Orange&BlackSheep
12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
In the post game articles from the St. Louis game it was mentioned that Kyle passed Grant Hill on the all-time scoring list. Kyle also mentioned he was enjoying his senior year and wanted to go out with a bang.

It is about time we re-start some positive vibes on this board so I am moving this to the first page (rather than the bottom of the 2nd where I found it).

I will try to look up some stats and update the "what would Kyle have to avg. thing". It should be easy since Duke has 30 games left in the season.

I had a very random Kyle (sort of) sighting last night. I was at a holiday party, and when I was taking a picture of a couple with my phone, they noticed my Duke case. The guy whips out his phone and says that they had just moved from Medford, OR and that Kyle used to babysit their boys. He then shows me a series of pics of Kyle with his kids. He said that Kyle is as nice a person as you could ever imagine. Small world.

CDu
12-12-2010, 12:28 PM

I will try to look up some stats and update the "what would Kyle have to avg. thing". It should be easy since Duke has 30 games left in the season

Also is there a place to track career wins?

By my count, Singler is currently at 1,930 points, or 531 away from passing Laettner. To pass Laettner, he'd need the following (depending on the number of remaining games):

30 games left: 17.7 ppg
29 games left: 18.3 ppg
28 games left: 19.0 ppg
27 games left: 19.7 ppg
26 games left: 20.4 ppg
25 games left: 21.2 ppg
24 games left: 22.1 ppg
23 games left: 23.1 ppg

phaedrus
12-12-2010, 03:29 PM
By my count, Singler is currently at 1,930 points, or 531 away from passing Laettner. To pass Laettner, he'd need the following (depending on the number of remaining games):

30 games left: 17.7 ppg
29 games left: 18.3 ppg
28 games left: 19.0 ppg
27 games left: 19.7 ppg
26 games left: 20.4 ppg
25 games left: 21.2 ppg
24 games left: 22.1 ppg
23 games left: 23.1 ppg

Last game, Kyle also moved into 14th all-time in rebounds with 819. Since Kyle has averaged 6.8 rebounds per game for his career, and is averaging 5.4 this year, I think a reasonable goal would be to pass Danny Ferry's 1003 rebounds for 6th all-time. To reach 1004 rebounds, Kyle would need to average:

30 games left: 6.2 rpg
29 games left: 6.4 rpg
28 games left: 6.6 rpg
27 games left: 6.9 rpg
26 games left: 7.1 rpg

1 24 90
12-29-2010, 10:33 PM
With 19 points Sunday against Miami, Kyle will reach 2000 points at Duke. Go Kyle!

CDu
01-01-2011, 08:54 PM
A couple of really good games by Singler have boosted his chances of passing Laettner's point total. By my count, Singler is now at 1,981 points, or 480 away from passing Laettner. To pass Laettner, he'd need the following (depending on the number of remaining games):

28 games left: 17.1 ppg
27 games left: 17.8 ppg
26 games left: 18.5 ppg
25 games left: 19.2 ppg
24 games left: 20.0 ppg
23 games left: 20.9 ppg
22 games left: 21.8 ppg
21 games left: 22.9 ppg

In terms of rebounds, Singler is at 829 rebounds. To reach 1,004 and pass Ferry, Singler will need the following:

28 games left: 6.3 rpg
27 games left: 6.5 rpg
26 games left: 6.7 rpg
25 games left: 7.0 rpg
24 games left: 7.3 rpg
23 games left: 7.6 rpg
22 games left: 8.0 rpg
21 games left: 8.3 rpg

His season averages are 17.8 ppg and 5.6 rpg this year, but both numbers (moreso the scoring) are on the rise over the last four games. A really deep run in the tournament makes both targets reasonable. So let's hope for a really deep run! ;)

uh_no
01-01-2011, 11:15 PM
A couple of really good games by Singler have boosted his chances of passing Laettner's point total. By my count, Singler is now at 1,981 points, or 480 away from passing Laettner. To pass Laettner, he'd need the following (depending on the number of remaining games):

28 games left: 17.1 ppg
27 games left: 17.8 ppg
26 games left: 18.5 ppg
25 games left: 19.2 ppg
24 games left: 20.0 ppg
23 games left: 20.9 ppg
22 games left: 21.8 ppg
21 games left: 22.9 ppg

In terms of rebounds, Singler is at 829 rebounds. To reach 1,004 and pass Ferry, Singler will need the following:

28 games left: 6.3 rpg
27 games left: 6.5 rpg
26 games left: 6.7 rpg
25 games left: 7.0 rpg
24 games left: 7.3 rpg
23 games left: 7.6 rpg
22 games left: 8.0 rpg
21 games left: 8.3 rpg

His season averages are 17.8 ppg and 5.6 rpg this year, but both numbers (moreso the scoring) are on the rise over the last four games. A really deep run in the tournament makes both targets reasonable. So let's hope for a really deep run! ;)

With kyrie out for a length of time, I don't see his rebound rate going up much....not even to the amount that he'd need if we made it to the championshpi game

Lord Ash
01-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks for doing the math!

I don't think Kyle will make it... in my opinion the scoring numbers he needs to reach Christian are just a bit too high... but I might be wrong, and even if I AM wrong, he still almost reached CHRISTIAN LAETTNER'S point total, which is pretty ridiculous:)

superdave
01-02-2011, 09:50 AM

I don't think Kyle will make it... in my opinion the scoring numbers he needs to reach Christian are just a bit too high... but I might be wrong, and even if I AM wrong, he still almost reached CHRISTIAN LAETTNER'S point total, which is pretty ridiculous:)

I think you may be right on this one. We have so much firepower this year that scoring will be a little more spread out than in year's past. But a deep tourney run could provide the opportunity, and Kyle's numbers got better last year as the season progressed. So I'm saying there's a chance!

CDu
01-02-2011, 10:43 AM

I think the rebound mark is likely going to be out of reach, even if we reach both the ACC and NCAA tourney finals. Even in that scenario he'd need to average about a rebound more per game than he's been averaging this year. In terms of the Laettner chase, I think he gets there if we reach the ACC and NCAA Finals. But the odds are against him, certainly.

And, yes, we're talking about nearly 2,500 points and 1,000 rebounds. Those are phenomenal numbers. Even if he falls short, it's a tremendous accomplishment.

striker219
01-02-2011, 02:06 PM

And with a little luck, CHRISTIAN LAETTNER'S national championship total too...

Neals384
01-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Kyle Singler has 1,995 points and needs 5 tonight to reach 2,000!

CDu
01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
As Neals384 noted, Singler is now 5 points shy of 2,000!

Singler had 14 and 8 Sunday evening. By my count, he is now at 1,995 points and 837 rebounds. In other words, he's 466 away from passing Laettner in points and 167 from passing Ferry in rebounds.

To reach 2,461 points and pass Laettner, he'd need the following (depending on the number of remaining games):

27 games left: 17.3 ppg
26 games left: 17.9 ppg
25 games left: 18.6 ppg
24 games left: 19.4 ppg
23 games left: 20.3 ppg
22 games left: 21.2 ppg
21 games left: 22.2 ppg
20 games left: 23.3 ppg

To reach 1,004 rebounds and pass Ferry, Singler will need the following:

27 games left: 6.2 rpg
26 games left: 6.4 rpg
25 games left: 6.7 rpg
24 games left: 7.0 rpg
23 games left: 7.3 rpg
22 games left: 7.6 rpg
21 games left: 8.0 rpg
20 games left: 8.4 rpg

The watch continues!

superdave
01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
From January 3 through April 6 last season, Singler averaged 18.41 and 6.75.

Assuming the same production this year, he's going to need an ACC tourney final and maybe a Final four run to top Laettner and Ferry.

Olympic Fan
01-05-2011, 12:33 PM
With Kyle on the verge of 2,000 career points, I thought some of you might be interested in this list of ACC 2,000 point scorers:

5 points to get to 2,000 exactly
13 points to pass Charlie Scott for No. 42
18 points to pass Jim Spanarkel for No. 41
21 points to pass John Lucas and Al Wood for No. 39

If he does catch Laettner by the end of the year, that would be No. 7 in ACC history. Obviously, the list is dominated by four-year players (David Thompson in the only three-year guy in the top 10 and he's 10th), but also by Duke players, who are currently No. 2 (Redick), No. 4 (Dawkins), No. 7 (Laettner) and No. 8 (Gminski).

ACC Career Scoring Leaders
With five-or-more points in Sunday’s game with Maryland, Duke senior forward Kyle Singler will become the 43rd player in ACC history to score 2,000-or-more points in his career.

ACC 2,000-Point Career Scoring Leaders

Player, School Years Pts.
1. Tyler Hansbrough, UNC 2006-09 2,872
2. J.J. Redick, Duke 2003-06 2,769
3. Dickie Hemric, WF •1952-55 2,587
4. Johnny Dawkins, Duke 1983-86 2,556
5. Rodney Monroe, NCS 1988-91 2,551
6. Bryant Stith, UVa 1989-92 2,516
7. Christian Laettner, Duke 1989-92 2,460
8. Mike Gminski, Duke 1977-80 2,323
9. Jeff Lamp, UVa 1978-81 2,317
10. David Thompson, NCS 1973-75 2,309
11. Phil Ford, UNC 1975-78 2,290
12. Juan Dixon, Md. 1998-02 2,269
13. Buzzy Wilkinson, UVa •1953-55 2,233
14. Ralph Sampson, UVa 1980-83 2,228
15. Matt Harpring, GT 1995-98 2,225
16. Randolph Childress, WF 1991,93-95 2,208
17. Mark Price, GT 1983-86 2,193
18. Greivis Vasquez, Md. 2007-10 2,171
19. Len Chappell, WF 1960-62 2,165
20. Danny Ferry, Duke 1986-89 2,155
21. Len Bias, Md. 1983-86 2,149
22. Sam Perkins, UNC 1981-84 2,145
23. Mark Alarie, Duke 1983-86 2,136
24. Bob Sura, FSU. 1992-95 2,130
25. Tim Duncan, WF 1994-97 2,117
26. Dennis Scott, GT 1988-90 2,115
27. Tyrese Rice, BC 2006-09 2,099
28. Tom Hammonds, GT 1986-89 2,081
29. Gene Banks, Duke 1978-81 2,079
Jason Williams, Duke 2000-02 2,079
Sean Singletary, UVa 2005-08 2,079
32. Jon Scheyer, Duke 2007-10 2,077
33. Albert King, Md. 1978-81 2,058
34. Travis Best, GT 1992-95 2,057
35. Len Rosenbluth, UNC 1955-57 2,045
36. Julius Hodge, NCS 2002-05 2,040
37. Skip Brown, WF 1974-77 2,034
38. Adrian Branch, Md. 1982-85 2,017
39. John Lucas, Md. 1973-76 2,015
40. Al Wood, UNC 1978-81 2,015
41. John Spanarkel, Duke 1976-79 2,012
42. Charles Scott, UNC 1978-81 2,007
Kyle Singler, Duke 2008-** 1,995
•denotes includes totals pre-ACC

superdave
01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
ACC 2,000-Point Career Scoring Leaders

Player, School Years Pts.
1. Tyler Hansbrough, UNC 2006-09 2,872
2. J.J. Redick, Duke 2003-06 2,769
3. Dickie Hemric, WF •1952-55 2,587
4. Johnny Dawkins, Duke 1983-86 2,556
5. Rodney Monroe, NCS 1988-91 2,551
6. Bryant Stith, UVa 1989-92 2,516
7. Christian Laettner, Duke 1989-92 2,460
8. Mike Gminski, Duke 1977-80 2,323
9. Jeff Lamp, UVa 1978-81 2,317
10. David Thompson, NCS 1973-75 2,309
11. Phil Ford, UNC 1975-78 2,290
12. Juan Dixon, Md. 1998-02 2,269
13. Buzzy Wilkinson, UVa •1953-55 2,233
14. Ralph Sampson, UVa 1980-83 2,228
15. Matt Harpring, GT 1995-98 2,225
16. Randolph Childress, WF 1991,93-95 2,208
17. Mark Price, GT 1983-86 2,193
18. Greivis Vasquez, Md. 2007-10 2,171
19. Len Chappell, WF 1960-62 2,165
20. Danny Ferry, Duke 1986-89 2,155
21. Len Bias, Md. 1983-86 2,149
22. Sam Perkins, UNC 1981-84 2,145
23. Mark Alarie, Duke 1983-86 2,136
24. Bob Sura, FSU. 1992-95 2,130
25. Tim Duncan, WF 1994-97 2,117
26. Dennis Scott, GT 1988-90 2,115
27. Tyrese Rice, BC 2006-09 2,099
28. Tom Hammonds, GT 1986-89 2,081
29. Gene Banks, Duke 1978-81 2,079
Jason Williams, Duke 2000-02 2,079
Sean Singletary, UVa 2005-08 2,079
32. Jon Scheyer, Duke 2007-10 2,077
33. Albert King, Md. 1978-81 2,058
34. Travis Best, GT 1992-95 2,057
35. Len Rosenbluth, UNC 1955-57 2,045
36. Julius Hodge, NCS 2002-05 2,040
37. Skip Brown, WF 1974-77 2,034
38. Adrian Branch, Md. 1982-85 2,017
39. John Lucas, Md. 1973-76 2,015
40. Al Wood, UNC 1978-81 2,015
42. Charles Scott, UNC 1978-81 2,007
Kyle Singler, Duke 2008-** 1,995
•denotes includes totals pre-ACC

I'd vote the following as the All-Kyle is About to Pass You on His Way to the Top 10 Team:

C Sampson
F Duncan
F Bias
G Thompson
G Ford

Super "Impressive Company" Dave

Kedsy
01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd vote the following as the All-Kyle is About to Pass You on His Way to the Top 10 Team:

C Sampson
F Duncan
F Bias
G Thompson
G Ford

That's quite a team. Wow.

Grey Devil
01-05-2011, 07:28 PM

...or is his real name John? And, if so, why aren't others listed with their real name?

That asked, it's good to see so many Blue Devils on this list. It's like a trp down memory lane.

Grey Devil

NSDukeFan
01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Congratulations Kyle on scoring 2000 points! That's a lot of buckets.

Olympic Fan
01-06-2011, 12:42 AM

C Sampson
F Duncan
F Bias
G Thompson
G Ford

Well, Duncan played center at Wake, although he will go into the NBA HOF as a power forward. And Thompson was a small forward at NC State, although he did play guard in the pros.

Still, it's dazzling to think of Ford at the point with Thompson and Bias on the wings and Duncan in the post.

But for me, I'd replace Ralph Sampson, the biggest choker in ACC history, with Len Chappell -- a much greater college player (consider that he averaged over 30 points and 15 rebounds while leading Wake to the 1962 Final Four). Well, if we're talking an all-time ACC team, I'd go with Christian Laettner -- the anti-Ralph Sampson. The only trouble is that I'm not sure Kyle will pass him.

PS It is Jim Spanarkel, not John ... I copied the list from an ACC mailing and didn't correct it.

davekay1971
01-06-2011, 11:00 AM
But for me, I'd replace Ralph Sampson, the biggest choker in ACC history, with Len Chappell -- a much greater college player (consider that he averaged over 30 points and 15 rebounds while leading Wake to the 1962 Final Four). Well, if we're talking an all-time ACC team, I'd go with Christian Laettner -- the anti-Ralph Sampson. The only trouble is that I'm not sure Kyle will pass him.

Agreed about Sampson, though I'd replace him with our own Danny Ferry and move Duncan over to center...

Thanks for posting the list! Amazing the company Kyle is moving into...but then, he's been an amazing player since his first year at Duke. There's a chance I might be able to get tickets to the Duke-Clemson game at Cameron on March 2. I'm not sure who's going to be shedding more tears on Singler's and Smith's senior night, my wife or me, but we're definitely bringing the hankies...

(as a complete aside, my darlin' wife may be a State fan, but she's already said she's going to cry when Dawkins graduates)

CDu
01-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Singler had 15 and 7 Wednesday evening, pushing him over 2,000 points! By my count, he is now at 2,010 points and 844 rebounds. In other words, he's 451 away from passing Laettner in points and 160 from passing Ferry in rebounds.

To reach 2,461 points and pass Laettner, he'd need the following (depending on the number of remaining games):

26 games left: 17.3 ppg
25 games left: 18.0 ppg
24 games left: 18.8 ppg
23 games left: 19.6 ppg
22 games left: 20.5 ppg
21 games left: 21.5 ppg
20 games left: 22.6 ppg
19 games left: 23.7 ppg

26 games left: 6.2 rpg
25 games left: 6.4 rpg
24 games left: 6.7 rpg
23 games left: 7.0 rpg
22 games left: 7.3 rpg
21 games left: 7.6 rpg
20 games left: 8.0 rpg
19 games left: 8.4 rpg

And here's the challenge that faces Singler. He had a very solid night (15 and 7). But those numbers actually make his path slightly more difficult than it was prior to the game.

As has been mentioned by several folks in this thread, it's going to take another fantastic end to the season (both for team and individual) for Singler to reach these goals. That said, we are talking about passing two of the greatest players in program history, so even if he falls short that's still really amazing.

CDu
01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Singler definitely helped his cause (and led the team to victory) with 25 and 10 Sunday evening. By my count, he is now at 2,035 points and 854 rebounds. In other words, he's 426 away from passing Laettner in points and 150 from passing Ferry in rebounds.

25 games left: 17.0 ppg
24 games left: 17.8 ppg
23 games left: 18.5 ppg
22 games left: 19.4 ppg
21 games left: 20.3 ppg
20 games left: 21.3 ppg
19 games left: 22.4 ppg
18 games left: 23.7 ppg

25 games left: 6.0 rpg
24 games left: 6.3 rpg
23 games left: 6.5 rpg
22 games left: 6.8 rpg
21 games left: 7.1 rpg
20 games left: 7.5 rpg
19 games left: 7.9 rpg
18 games left: 8.3 rpg

So if he just averages what he did last night, he'll blow right by both marks! ;)

Just kidding. The scoring goals are still fairly unlikely to be reached, though the rebound goal is looking more feasible after the last few games (he's averaging 7.6 rebounds per game over his last 5 games). At that pace, I'd say he'll get to the rebound goal. The only challenge will be keeping that pace.

Olympic Fan
01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Kyle has passed several of the ACC's alltime greats in the last two games, including John Lucas ... he's moved up to No. 37 in the ACC's alltime scoring list. With 11 points at Florida State, he zooms past Julius Hodge and Lennie Rosenbluth on the list.

He's going to finish in the top 10 -- which is pretty impressive.

NSDukeFan
01-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Kyle is now in the top 10 all-time at Duke for scoring and rebounds as he just tied Art Heyman for 10th in rebounds at 865.

throatybeard
01-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Where we at on this?

ksimp112
01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
After today's game with Virginia, Singler now has 2,068 career points. Nine away from tying Scheyer at 2,077.

CDu
01-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Singler had 33 points and 12 rebounds in the past two games. Unfortunately, despite those being pretty good numbers generally speaking, those totals slightly hurt his chances in chasing down these goals. He's 393 points shy of passing Laettner and 138 rebounds shy of passing Ferry.

23 games left: 17.1 ppg
22 games left: 17.9 ppg
21 games left: 18.7 ppg
20 games left: 19.7 ppg
19 games left: 20.7 ppg
18 games left: 21.8 ppg
17 games left: 23.1 ppg
16 games left: 24.6 ppg

23 games left: 6.0 rpg
22 games left: 6.3 rpg
21 games left: 6.6 rpg
20 games left: 6.9 rpg
19 games left: 7.3 rpg
18 games left: 7.7 rpg
17 games left: 8.1 rpg
16 games left: 8.6 rpg

basket1544
01-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Kyle is now in the top 10 all-time at Duke for scoring and rebounds as he just tied Art Heyman for 10th in rebounds at 865.

I've got that he's 12th all time in rebounds. He'll get to 10th (and beyond) but he's not quite there yet.
Williams Shelden 1262
Gminski Mike 1242
Laettner Christian 1149
Denton Randy 1067
Lewis Mike 051
Ferry Danny 1003
Banks Gene 985
Mayer Ronnie 954
Janicki Bernie 923
Battier Shane 887
Parks Cherokee 874
Singler Kyle 866
Heyman Art 865

ksimp112
01-19-2011, 09:13 PM
After tonight's game against State, Singler now has 2,086 career point. He is also Duke's seventh all time scorer, passing Jon Scheyer, Gene Banks, and Jason Williams tonight.

basket1544
01-19-2011, 09:15 PM
And with 9 boards he has 875 passing Cherokee Parks for 11th all time there.

weezie
01-19-2011, 10:41 PM
He is the complete package. One of the most versatile and rounded players Duke has ever had. Wow. what a thrill to be watching him for this fourth season.

CDu
01-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Singler had a rough start last night, but still finished with 18 points and 9 rebounds. He's 375 points shy of passing Laettner and 129 rebounds shy of passing Ferry.

To reach 2,461 points and pass Laettner, he'd need the following production over the remaining games (depending on the number of remaining games):

22 games left: 17.0 ppg
21 games left: 17.9 ppg
20 games left: 18.8 ppg
19 games left: 19.7 ppg
18 games left: 20.8 ppg
17 games left: 22.1 ppg
16 games left: 23.4 ppg
15 games left: 25.0 ppg

22 games left: 5.9 rpg
21 games left: 6.1 rpg
20 games left: 6.5 rpg
19 games left: 6.8 rpg
18 games left: 7.2 rpg
17 games left: 7.6 rpg
16 games left: 8.1 rpg
15 games left: 8.6 rpg

At this point, I think that Laettner will remain the #3 all-time Duke scorer unless we make it to the ACC championship and Final Four. Singler is averaging 17.5ppg in ACC play and 17.7ppg overall. He certainly could end up boosting his average down the stretch, but he'd have to boost it by a bit to shave the number of games needed by more than one.

The rebound mark is looking more and more attainable, I think. He's averaging 7.7rpg. Maintaining at that pace would mean we'd just need to win two tournament games combined between the ACC and NCAA Tournaments. Even if the pace drops to 7rpg, we'd just need to get to the ACC semis and the Sweet 16. The caveat is that the 7rpg is higher than Singler's current season average. This is assuming he continues his more recent trends.

Bob Green
01-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Kyle is currently averaging 17.7 points and 6.3 rebounds per game so it is looking like we will need to advance to both the ACC and NCAA Championship Games for Kyle to be able to pass Laettner and Ferry. Of course, last season his production increased down the stretch so that could happen again.

Olympic Fan
01-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Just one more stat to track -- after the State game, Kyle has 248 3-pointers in his career. That's tied for 21st best in ACC history (with former Wake guard Tony Rutland) and it's No. 6 on the Duke all-time list:

1. J.J. Redick 457
2. Trajan Langdon 342
3. Jason Williams (in just three years) 313
4. Jon Scheyer 297
5. Bobby Hurley 264
6. Kyle Singler 248
7. Shane Battier 246

Kyle had 51-69-85 3-pointers in his first 3 years and he has 43 through the first 18 games this season. He should finish with another 40-50 more, depending on how long the season lasts and how his production is. He should catch Hurley for fifth place ... Scheyer's total is a reasonable goal and even Jason Williams is within reach, although that one will be tough.

I won't paste the whole ACC list now, but I should note that Scheyer is currently No. 10 on the ACC list, so he should end up in that range on the ACC list.

ksimp112
01-22-2011, 06:20 PM
With Kyle having a good scoring game today (24 pts.) against the Deacs, he now has 2,110. Moving him up to #27 all-time ACC Scorer passing Tyrese Rice (2,099) of Boston College. Kyle is now six points away from passing Dennis Scott of Georgia Tech, and eight points away from passing Tim Duncan on the ACC list.

If Kyle is able to make it into the top-ten of the ACC All-Time Scorer's list, that would put five Duke players in the top ten of the list. Joining Redick, Dawkins, Laettner, and Gminski. Not a bad group to be associated with, not only past Duke greats, but ACC greats as well.

CDu
01-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Pretty good day for Singler today. With 24 and 7, he's 351 points shy of passing Laettner and 122 rebounds shy of passing Ferry.

To reach 2,461 points and pass Laettner, he'd need the following production over the remaining games (depending on the number of remaining games):

21 games left: 16.7 ppg
20 games left: 17.6 ppg
19 games left: 18.5 ppg
18 games left: 19.5 ppg
17 games left: 20.6 ppg
16 games left: 21.9 ppg
15 games left: 23.4 ppg
14 games left: 25.1 ppg

21 games left: 5.8 rpg
20 games left: 6.1 rpg
19 games left: 6.4 rpg
18 games left: 6.8 rpg
17 games left: 7.2 rpg
16 games left: 7.6 rpg
15 games left: 8.1 rpg
14 games left: 8.7 rpg

Singler is averaging 18.4ppg and 7.6rpg since ACC play began (they last 7 games including the UAB game). If he stays at that pace and plays every game, we'd need to win two tourney games (between the ACC and NCAA combined) for him to pass Ferry. We'd need to make the ACC final and the Final Four for him to pass Laettner at that pace.

If he falls back to his overall season averages, we'd have to reach the ACC final and the Final Four for him to reach either mark.

DukieInBrasil
01-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Singler is averaging 18.4ppg and 7.6rpg since ACC play began (they last 7 games including the UAB game). If he stays at that pace and plays every game, we'd need to win two tourney games (between the ACC and NCAA combined) for him to pass Ferry. We'd need to make the ACC final and the Final Four for him to pass Laettner at that pace.

If he falls back to his overall season averages, we'd have to reach the ACC final and the Final Four for him to reach either mark.
Well, we'll just have to have to be super extra great fans to make sure that happens. Seriously, what a great player to have on your favorite team. Great enough to make it just seem plausible that the team will reach both the ACC and NCAA Finals with his influence.

CDu
01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Well, we'll just have to have to be super extra great fans to make sure that happens. Seriously, what a great player to have on your favorite team. Great enough to make it just seem plausible that the team will reach both the ACC and NCAA Finals with his influence.

Yes, it's most certainly not out of the question that we reach both the ACC final and the Final Four. And that's in no small part (in fact it's in large part) due to the efforts/talents of Singler. I mean, we are talking about a guy who is 2-3 games away from becoming our #5 all-time scorer, and barring injury will almost certainly become at worst our #4 all-time scorer. I'd say there's a 20-25% chance that he becomes our #3 all-time scorer, which is pretty amazing. And that's not even discussing the rebounds.

tele
01-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes, it's most certainly not out of the question that we reach both the ACC final and the Final Four. And that's in no small part (in fact it's in large part) due to the efforts/talents of Singler. I mean, we are talking about a guy who is 2-3 games away from becoming our #5 all-time scorer, and barring injury will almost certainly become at worst our #4 all-time scorer. I'd say there's a 20-25% chance that he becomes our #3 all-time scorer, which is pretty amazing. And that's not even discussing the rebounds.

Who was it that told him, if he came back for his senior year, he can be one of the greats? What a remarkable season.

airowe
01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Who was it that told him, if he came back for his senior year, he can be one of the greats? What a remarkable season.

Gerald Henderson, Mike Krzyzewski, Ed Singler, et al.

gep
01-23-2011, 10:37 PM

Kyle is a "quiet" leader... but apparently at half-time of the UVA game, Kyle gave a bit of an emotional speech. Then in this WF game, when Tyler was pinned down by that WF player, Kyle was very demonstrative talking to the ref with Tyler next to him. As another poster said (I think), that Kyle has everyone's back. I was actually surprised with Kyle's apparent "outburst" towards the ref at that time. But if Kyle was backing up Tyler, I was really happy to see Kyle doing that... kinda like how Coach K would have done it, to me, at least. I REALLY LIKE Kyle. I wish the best for him.

CDu
01-28-2011, 08:58 AM
It's tough when a 14 and 6 day hurts your cause, but that's the reality of the Singler Watch. With those 14 and 6, he's 337 points shy of passing Laettner and 116 rebounds shy of passing Ferry.

20 games left: 16.9 ppg
19 games left: 17.7 ppg
18 games left: 18.7 ppg
17 games left: 19.8 ppg
16 games left: 21.1 ppg
15 games left: 22.5 ppg
14 games left: 24.1 ppg
13 games left: 25.9 ppg

20 games left: 5.8 rpg
19 games left: 6.1 rpg
18 games left: 6.4 rpg
17 games left: 6.8 rpg
16 games left: 7.3 rpg
15 games left: 7.7 rpg
14 games left: 8.3 rpg
13 games left: 8.9 rpg

As the number of remaining games counts down, we'll start to see more variability in what he needs to average to pass the marks. As we've said for a while now, it looks like a Final Four appearance is going to be the key for Singler. That would of course be win-win.

ksimp112
01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Kyle had a quite night with only 14 points. However, he did move into the #25 spot on the All-Time ACC scoring list with 2,124. Passing Dennis Scott (GT) and Tim Duncan (WF) lastnight. He needs seven to pass Bob Sura (FSU) and thirteen to pass Mark Alarie, and take soul possession of sixth place on the All-Time Duke scoring list.

CDu
01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Kyle had a quite night with only 14 points. However, he did move into the #25 spot on the All-Time ACC scoring list with 2,124. Passing Dennis Scott (GT) and Tim Duncan (WF) lastnight. He needs seven to pass Bob Sura (FSU) and thirteen to pass Mark Alarie, and take soul possession of sixth place on the All-Time Duke scoring list.

As an additional note, I believe that Singler has now moved into the top 10 on Duke's all-time rebounding list, passing Battier with 888 boards. It'll be a little while before he takes the next step. he's 35 behind Bernie Janicki.

Singler is also 32 points (probably two games, but maybe one big game) away from passing Ferry to become the #5 scorer in Duke history. At that point, he'll be about 170 away from Gminski.

tele
01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Gerald Henderson, Mike Krzyzewski, Ed Singler, et al.

I thought it was Coach K that said it.

chadlee989
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I thought it was Coach K that said it.

I also said it. But he might not have heard me.:)

Rudy
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Just thinking of what it will be like when Nolan and Kyle have their last home game at Cameron. The last few years have been emotional for seniors whose careers showed a lot of heart, guts and effort. But this will be the first time since '06 that a couple of all-time Duke greats will take their last Cameron bows.

pfrduke
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
But this will be the first time since '06 that a couple of all-time Duke greats will take their last Cameron bows.

Really (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=518)?

Kedsy
01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Really (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=518)?

Well, in fairness, he said "a couple." I really enjoyed the play of Lance and Z last season, but I would not describe them as "all-time Duke greats."

pfrduke
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Well, in fairness, he said "a couple." I really enjoyed the play of Lance and Z last season, but I would not describe them as "all-time Duke greats."

If the post was referring to watching two at a time, I withdraw my "Really?"

I understood it to be referring to watching any all-time greats, in which case my comment stands.

Rudy
01-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Sorry to be unclear. Yeah, I meant two at the same time, since JJ and Shelden.

CDu
01-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Well, Singler helped his cause with the scoring but hurt his cause with the rebounds. ESPN has him at 20 and 2, meaning he's 317 points shy of passing Laettner and 114 rebounds shy of passing Ferry.

19 games left: 16.7 ppg
18 games left: 17.6 ppg
17 games left: 18.6 ppg
16 games left: 19.8 ppg
15 games left: 21.1 ppg
14 games left: 22.6 ppg
13 games left: 24.4 ppg
12 games left: 26.4 ppg

19 games left: 6.0 rpg
18 games left: 6.3 rpg
17 games left: 6.7 rpg
16 games left: 7.1 rpg
15 games left: 7.6 rpg
14 games left: 8.1 rpg
13 games left: 8.8 rpg
12 games left: 9.5 rpg

Let's hope for a monster game from him (and the team) against Maryland to get things back on track.

Also of note, Singler passed Alarie on Duke's scoring list today. With 12 more points, he'll pass Ferry (so it will probably happen against Maryland). He's still several games away from passing anyone else on Duke's rebound list.

ksimp112
01-31-2011, 08:04 PM
After yesterdays game, with Kyle scoring a quite 20pts. He now has moved into sixth place all-time on the Duke scoring list with 2,144pts, passing Mark Alarie yesterday.

Kyle also moved up to #23 on the all-time ACC Scoring list, passing Alarie and Bob Sura (FSU) yesterday.

Kyle now needs 12pts. to pass Danny Ferry on the all-time Duke list.

CDu
02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Say hello to the new #5 scorer in Duke men's basketball history! Ferry is in the rear-view mirror on the scoring list. ESPN has him at 22 and 6, meaning he's 295 points shy of passing Laettner and 108 rebounds shy of passing Ferry.

18 games left: 16.4 ppg
17 games left: 17.4 ppg
16 games left: 18.4 ppg
15 games left: 19.7 ppg
14 games left: 21.1 ppg
13 games left: 22.7 ppg
12 games left: 24.6 ppg
11 games left: 26.8 ppg

18 games left: 6.0 rpg
17 games left: 6.4 rpg
16 games left: 6.8 rpg
15 games left: 7.2 rpg
14 games left: 7.7 rpg
13 games left: 8.3 rpg
12 games left: 9.0 rpg
11 games left: 9.8 rpg

It'll be a few weeks before we see him pass any more guys. But he's moving on up!

ksimp112
02-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Kyle had a good game tonight, scoring 22 pts. At one point Kyle scored 11 straight points for Duke. With Kyle's 22 pts. he passed Danny Ferry to become Duke 5th all-time scorer.

Kyle also passed a handful of past players on the ACC All-Time scoring list. With Kyle now having 2,166 pts. he has moved into sole possession of 19th on the list. Passing Sam Perkins (UNC), Len Bias (MD), Danny Ferry, and Len Chappell (WF) tonight.

pfrduke
02-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Also worth noting is that Kyle's start against Maryland was the 132nd of his career. The NC State game tomorrow will put him in a tie with Alarie and Dawkins for 4th all time, and the Carolina game with tie him with Redick for 3rd. He has 7 to go to tie Hurley for the lead, which means that (barring disaster or weird lineup shakeup), Kyle's start at home on senior night against Clemson will put him all alone atop the list as the all-time leader in games started at Duke. Pretty cool to have that come on senior night.

CDu
02-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Not a great scoring night from Singler, but he did get some boards. ESPN has him at 14 and 9, meaning he's 281 points shy of passing Laettner and 99 rebounds shy of passing Ferry.

17 games left: 16.5 ppg
16 games left: 17.6 ppg
15 games left: 18.7 ppg
14 games left: 20.1 ppg
13 games left: 21.6 ppg
12 games left: 23.4 ppg
11 games left: 25.5 ppg
10 games left: 28.1 ppg

17 games left: 5.8 rpg
16 games left: 6.2 rpg
15 games left: 6.6 rpg
14 games left: 7.1 rpg
13 games left: 7.6 rpg
12 games left: 8.3 rpg
11 games left: 9.0 rpg
10 games left: 9.9 rpg

It's still looking like it'll take a trip to the ACC final and the Final Four for Singler to pass Laettner (he's got a good chance to pass Gminski before we even reach the NCAA tournament). The same is appearing to be true for the rebounds too, although more nights like tonight will help in that regard.

throatybeard
02-13-2011, 12:32 PM
I just asked that stat website for Kyle's "most comparable players." (Statistically). Harpring first (I like that), followed by Bias, Tom Hammonds, Alarie, and Bryant Stith. Good company.

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_player_page.asp?hplayer=364&tab=5

ksimp112
02-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Kyle scored 14pts. tonight, moving him up to #17 on the ACC All-Time scorers list with 2,204.

CDu
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
The scoring has cooled off a bit, but Singler keeps getting the boards. I have him at 257 points shy of passing Laettner and 84 rebounds shy of passing Ferry.

15 games left: 17.1 ppg
14 games left: 18.4 ppg
13 games left: 19.7 ppg
12 games left: 21.4 ppg
11 games left: 23.4 ppg
10 games left: 25.7 ppg
9 games left: 28.6 ppg
8 games left: 32.1 ppg

15 games left: 5.6 rpg
14 games left: 6.0 rpg
13 games left: 6.5 rpg
12 games left: 7.0 rpg
11 games left: 7.6 rpg
10 games left: 8.4 rpg
9 games left: 9.3 rpg
8 games left: 10.5 rpg

It's still looking very unlikely that he passes Laettner but he's still got a good chance to pass Gminski before we even reach the NCAA tournament. He's rebounding more lately, so maybe the rebound mark is more achievable.

CDu
02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, last night certainly did Singler no favors in the chances for Laettner and Ferry. He's 255 points shy of Laettner and 80 rebounds shy of Ferry.

14 games left: 18.2 ppg
13 games left: 19.6 ppg
12 games left: 21.3 ppg
11 games left: 23.2 ppg
10 games left: 25.5 ppg
9 games left: 28.3 ppg
8 games left: 31.9 ppg
7 games left: 36.4 ppg

So even if we make the ACC and NCAA final, he'll need to improve upon his season average. On a more positive note, he's still comfortably on pace to pass Gminski (barring injury) before the NCAA tourney starts. So that's nice. We're still comparing him with the #3 and #4 all-time scorers in Duke men's history.

14 games left: 5.7 rpg
13 games left: 6.2 rpg
12 games left: 6.7 rpg
11 games left: 7.3 rpg
10 games left: 8.0 rpg
9 games left: 8.9 rpg
8 games left: 10.0 rpg
7 games left: 11.4 rpg

The rebound goal is still feasible, especially if we make a deep run in both tourneys.

DevilWearsPrada
02-17-2011, 06:12 PM
I was at the UVa game last night. I realize Kyle got in early foul trouble. But the shots were just not falling. And the turnovers, well, you saw the game.

Kyle looked very very pale. Even Virginia fans were asking if he was sick. I wouldnt think he would travel or play, if he was ill. Tired perhaps. JJ Redick was just worn out his senior year, from running the entire game. Also, these boys have such low body fat. I recall JJ having to get IVs during halftime or after the game, or eat a protein energy bar and drink during halftime to sustain his activity level. Does anyone Know? I felt so bad for Kyle. He sat on the bench for most of the game. He certainly didnt look like the Kyle Singler, we are used to seeing. I know he was frustrated. Being at the game, you can read their lips (Mouthing of words we cant spell out).

Uva..ugly game, but a Good Road Win! Uva fans, are nice. A good arena and cordial people, unlike other venues.

I hope Kyle gets his rest, and kicks this shooting funk. He is so derserving and worthy for passing records and staying in college and graduating from Duke. I want to see that Singler jersey in Duke rafters! (and Nolan Smith, also)!

gam7
02-17-2011, 06:27 PM
I know Coach K pays attention to body language and facial expressions. Kyle doesn't seem to be playing with as much fun as he has in years past. In the past, he'd have a little relaxed, confident, competitive grin on his face. This year I've seen a little more of a sort of tense-looking expression where he kind of grits and shows his teeth. I'd like to see him stare someone down or give someone an elbow like he did to Hansbrough a few years back, or do a little Smitty Shimmy Shake after a breakaway dunk. Just want to see him grinning, confident, relaxed and having fun again.

gep
02-17-2011, 11:18 PM
I know Coach K pays attention to body language and facial expressions. Kyle doesn't seem to be playing with as much fun as he has in years past. In the past, he'd have a little relaxed, confident, competitive grin on his face. This year I've seen a little more of a sort of tense-looking expression where he kind of grits and shows his teeth. I'd like to see him stare someone down or give someone an elbow like he did to Hansbrough a few years back, or do a little Smitty Shimmy Shake after a breakaway dunk. Just want to see him grinning, confident, relaxed and having fun again.

I'd also like to see Kyle having FUN again. Maybe the all the pre-season NPOY, AA stuff is getting to him and he's putting undue pressure on himself.

I read the UVA in-game thread about Nolan's "shimmy-shake", and didn't like what I was reading. After I saw the game later, he did it for the end-line camera, and not in the middle of the court for all to see... maybe that tempered it for me. But it did show Nolan having fun... which is what it's supposed to be all about, right?

Saratoga2
02-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Kyle's play in the last game seemed so uncharacteristic for him I tend to look for an explanation. Could he has suffered a mild concussion somewhere along the way that has impacted his shooting and his overall game? Kyle certainly has taken whacks to the head in games and may have in practice. I wonder if the team trainers/doctors look at the kids for signs of concussion.

uh_no
02-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Kyle's play in the last game seemed so uncharacteristic for him I tend to look for an explanation. Could he has suffered a mild concussion somewhere along the way that has impacted his shooting and his overall game? Kyle certainly has taken whacks to the head in games and may have in practice. I wonder if the team trainers/doctors look at the kids for signs of concussion.

I was wondering if he didn't have some of this flu which is going around

CDu
02-21-2011, 09:28 AM
A better game from Singler last night in terms of rebounding, but his scoring pace keeps slipping. He's 240 points shy of Laettner and 71 rebounds shy of Ferry.

13 games left: 18.5 ppg
12 games left: 20.0 ppg
11 games left: 21.8 ppg
10 games left: 24.0 ppg
9 games left: 26.7 ppg
8 games left: 30.0 ppg
7 games left: 34.3 ppg
6 games left: 40.0 ppg

So even if we make both the ACC and NCAA final, he'll need to improve a decent amount upon his season average. It doesn't look like the Laettner total will be reached.

On a more positive note, he's still could pass Gminski (barring injury) before the NCAA tourney starts. So that's nice. We're still comparing him with the #3 and #4 all-time scorers in Duke men's history.

13 games left: 5.5 rpg
12 games left: 5.9 rpg
11 games left: 6.5 rpg
10 games left: 7.1 rpg
9 games left: 7.9 rpg
8 games left: 8.9 rpg
7 games left: 10.1 rpg
6 games left: 11.8 rpg

The rebound target is still very feasible, especially if we make a deep run in both tourneys.

ksimp112
02-23-2011, 09:05 PM
After tonight's 28pt. performance, Kyle has now moved up to #13 on the all time ACC Scoring list with 2,249. Hopefully tonight's performance is just a small taste of what is to come out of Kyle for the rest of the season.

Olympic Fan
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
After tonight's 28pt. performance, Kyle has now moved up to #13 on the all time ACC Scoring list with 2,249. Hopefully tonight's performance is just a small taste of what is to come out of Kyle for the rest of the season.

It's great to count off all the ACC greats that Kyle has been passing on the scoring list --last night alone he passed Matt Harpring (a player he resembles on the offensive end), Ralph Sampson and Buzzy Wilkinson.

Next on the list at 2,269 is Juan Dixon. I figure he should pass Phil Ford (2,290) in his home finale against Clemson or in the regular season final at UNC (that would be appropriate).

The next step is a big one -- the great David Thompson (2,309 ... remember, he only got to play three seasons) is in 10th place, so passing him puts Kyle in the top 10 and gives Duke exactly half of the top 10 -- No. 2 Redick, No. 4. Dawkins, No. 7 Laettner and No. 8 Gminski ae already there.

The race for 1,000 career rebounds is coming along -- with six last night, Kyle got to 939.

He needs 61 more in Duke's remaining games -- at least five games left, maybe as many as 12.

CDu
02-25-2011, 08:52 AM
That was better! With 28 and 6 on Wednesday, Singler is 212 points shy of Laettner and 65 rebounds shy of Ferry.

12 games left: 17.7 ppg
11 games left: 19.3 ppg
10 games left: 21.2 ppg
9 games left: 23.6 ppg
8 games left: 26.5 ppg
7 games left: 30.3 ppg
6 games left: 35.3 ppg
5 games left: 42.4 ppg

So even if we make both the ACC and NCAA final, he'll need to improve a decent amount upon his season average. It doesn't look like the Laettner total will be reached, though a few more games like last night go a long way toward making it possible again. And he's now only 74 away from Gminski.

12 games left: 5.4 rpg
11 games left: 5.9 rpg
10 games left: 6.5 rpg
9 games left: 7.2 rpg
8 games left: 8.1 rpg
7 games left: 9.3 rpg
6 games left: 10.8 rpg
5 games left: 13.0 rpg

The rebound target is still very feasible, especially if we make a deep run in both tourneys.

CDu
02-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Despite the loss, the numbers for Singler were good. With 22 and 12 on Saturday, Singler is 190 points shy of Laettner and 53 rebounds shy of Ferry.

11 games left: 17.3 ppg
10 games left: 19.0 ppg
9 games left: 21.1 ppg
8 games left: 23.8 ppg
7 games left: 27.1 ppg
6 games left: 31.7 ppg
5 games left: 38.0 ppg
4 games left: 47.5 ppg

If we make both the ACC and NCAA final, there's a solid chance he'll pass Laettner. Otherwise, it probably doesn't happen. Obviously, more 20+ point games make it more possible. On a related note, Singler should pass Gminski on Friday or Saturday of the ACC tourney.

11 games left: 4.8 rpg
10 games left: 5.3 rpg
9 games left: 5.9 rpg
8 games left: 6.6 rpg
7 games left: 7.6 rpg
6 games left: 8.8 rpg
5 games left: 10.6 rpg
4 games left: 13.3 rpg

The rebound target is still very feasible, and it's looking more and more feasible by the week. If we make a deep run in both tourneys, he's going to pass Ferry (barring injury). The ACC Final and the Sweet-16 might be enough.[/QUOTE]

Jderf
02-27-2011, 01:38 PM
On a related note, Singler should pass Gminski on Friday or Saturday of the ACC tourney.

Hmm. Random question: who will be doing the coverage for the ACC tournament? ESPN? Raycom? I'm too lazy to look it up myself, and I'm wondering what are the odds that Gminski happens to be the analyst for the game when Kyle passes him. That would be unusual.

DukieInBrasil
02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Despite the loss, the numbers for Singler were good. With 22 and 12 on Saturday, Singler is 190 points shy of Laettner and 53 rebounds shy of Ferry.

If we make both the ACC and NCAA final, there's a solid chance he'll pass Laettner. Otherwise, it probably doesn't happen. Obviously, more 20+ point games make it more possible. On a related note, Singler should pass Gminski on Friday or Saturday of the ACC tourney.

The rebound target is still very feasible, and it's looking more and more feasible by the week. If we make a deep run in both tourneys, he's going to pass Ferry (barring injury). The ACC Final and the Sweet-16 might be enough.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for keeping track of Kyle's pursuits of the greats CDu. There is an interesting feed-back loop in this pursuit though, if we make it to the finals of both tourneys, tis prob'ly an indicator that Kyle is playing at those levels or beyond.
Kyle has really been struggling with his outside game lately, but he seems to be producing pretty well when he concentrates on shooting from at or inside the imaginary arc of the elbow-jumper area. Last night he got to the FT line really well, and converted at an excellent clip, two things he hadn't been doing much of recently. Hopefully, Kyle will adjust his play to accentuate these strengths and minimize where his play has been weaker.

uh_no
02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Hmm. Random question: who will be doing the coverage for the ACC tournament? ESPN? Raycom? I'm too lazy to look it up myself, and I'm wondering what are the odds that Gminski happens to be the analyst for the game when Kyle passes him. That would be unusual.

ESPN

-jk
02-27-2011, 05:29 PM

ESPN

Both, I think. Well, unless ESPN still has an exclusive to the 7:00 thursday game (the old Les Robinson invitational).

-jk

uh_no
02-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Both, I think. Well, unless ESPN still has an exclusive to the 7:00 thursday game (the old Les Robinson invitational).

-jk

Thanks for the update. I'm usually on spring break during the ACCt, so I never see the raycom broadcast.

rthomas
02-27-2011, 06:00 PM

This really makes it hit home that there are a finite number of times - maybe only 4 - that we will see Singler and Smith wearing Duke unis. OK, likely more than 4, but savor the last few games, my friends.

Olympic Fan
02-27-2011, 06:54 PM
While scoring and rebounding records are great, may I suggest that Kyle is moving up a more important list -- career wins.

He's currently played in 119 wins, which ranks fourth on the all-time Duke list.

Battier holds the Duke and ACC record and shares the NCAA record with Kentucky's Wayne Turner. He playd in 131 wins. The loss at Virginia Tech costs Kyle the chance to tie that record (if Duke had won out, he'd have finished at 131).

He can still reach 130, but the relevent numbers are Duhon (123 wins) and Laettner (122 wins).

Remember, this is just games played in -- Nolan, who mised two wins (and a loss) in 2009 after his concussion and two wins in 2010 (he was suspended the first two games of the season) -- is at 115 wins. Obviously, he needs eight more wins to tie Laettner on the list.

Singler's mark is a measure of his durabiliy. So far, he has not missed a game in four seasons, playing on teams that have won 28, 30, 35 and now 26 games (and counting) in his four seasons. He's almost certainly going to end up the No. 2 winner in Duke history.

basket1544
02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Kyle will tie Hurley in the next game and pass him in the following game becoming the player with the most starts at Duke. As has been mentioned before, he has started all but one game of his career. Right now he is at 138 starts out of 139 games.

Olympic Fan
03-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Great night for Kyle with 18 points and 11 rebounds on Senior Night.

That lifts him to 2,289 points for his career. Still in 12th place on the ACC list, but now just one point behind No. 11 Phil Ford and 20 points behind No. 10 David Thompson.

With 11 rebounds, Kyle raised his career total to 962. That passed Ronnie Mayer for 8th place on the Duke career list. He needs 23 more rebounds to catch Gene Banks for seventh place ... and 38 more to reach 1,000 -- he would be just the ninth player in ACC history with 2,000-plus points and 1,000 rebounds.

He also won his 120th game, tying Tyler Hansbrough for sixth place on the ACC career win list. Next up is Deon Thompson at 121 wins ... Battier is the record holder at 131 wins.

Kyle and Hanrbough have both started in 119 wins -- that ties for the most in ACC history. Think about that -- one more win and Kyle will hve started in more wins than anybody who has ever played in the ACC!

Olympic Fan
03-03-2011, 01:55 AM

That lifts him to 2,289 points for his career. Still in 12th place on the ACC list, but now just one point behind No. 11 Phil Ford and 20 points behind No. 10 David Thompson.

With 11 rebounds, Kyle raised his career total to 962. That passed Ronnie Mayer for 8th place on the Duke career list. He needs 23 more rebounds to catch Gene Banks for seventh place ... and 38 more to reach 1,000 -- he would be just the ninth player in ACC history with 2,000-plus points and 1,000 rebounds.

He also won his 120th game, tying Tyler Hansbrough for sixth place on the ACC career win list. Next up is Deon Thompson at 121 wins ... Battier is the record holder at 131 wins.

Kyle and Hansbrough have both started in 119 wins -- that ties for the most in ACC history. Think about that -- one more win and Kyle will hve started in more wins than anybody who has ever played in the ACC!

COYS
03-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Kyle and Hansbrough have both started in 119 wins -- that ties for the most in ACC history. Think about that -- one more win and Kyle will hve started in more wins than anybody who has ever played in the ACC!

His accomplishments are mind-boggling, actually. He is in truly rarefied air. It was sad to see him leave CIS after the speeches last night. Here's hoping the next time we see him there it will be next fall as he raises his second NCAA Championship banner.

CDu
03-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Another strong rebounding game and solid scoring game. Unfortunately, at this point in the scoring chase, solid isn't going to cut it. With 18 and 11 last night, Singler is 172 points shy of passing Laettner and 42 rebounds shy of Ferry.

10 games left: 17.2 ppg
9 games left: 19.1 ppg
8 games left: 21.5 ppg
7 games left: 24.6 ppg
6 games left: 28.7 ppg
Fewer games: too much to even discuss

Realistically, anything short of the ACC Final and the Elite 8 means Singler isn't going to catch Laettner. A trip to both Finals would make Laettner very attainable. Singler is only 34 points behind Gminski, so he still should pass Gminski next Friday or Saturday.

To reach 1,004 rebounds:

10 games left: 4.2 rpg
9 games left: 4.7 rpg
8 games left: 5.3 rpg
7 games left: 6.0 rpg
6 games left: 7.0 rpg
5 games left: 8.4 rpg
4 games left: 10.5 rpg
3 games left: 14.0 rpg

Passing Ferry is looking more and more reasonable. If we play 7 more games, I'd be shocked if he didn't pass Ferry. If we play 6 more games, I'd still be a bit surprised to not see him pass Ferry.

CDu
03-08-2011, 11:11 AM
The UNC game hurt the scoring chase but didn't hurt the rebound chase. With 8 and 6, Singler is 164 points shy of passing Laettner and 36 rebounds shy of Ferry.

9 games left: 18.2 ppg
8 games left: 20.5 ppg
7 games left: 23.4 ppg
6 games left: 27.3 ppg
Fewer games: too much to even discuss

Realistically, anything short of the ACC Final and the Final Four means Singler isn't going to catch Laettner. It will probably take a trip to both championship games. Singler is only 26 points behind Gminski, so he still should pass Gminski on Saturday (if we win Friday). Or he could do so with a big night Friday.

To reach 1,004 rebounds:

9 games left: 4.0 rpg
8 games left: 4.5 rpg
7 games left: 5.1 rpg
6 games left: 6.0 rpg
5 games left: 7.2 rpg
4 games left: 9.0 rpg
3 games left: 12.0 rpg
2 games left: 18.0 rpg

Passing Ferry is looking more and more reasonable. If we play 5 or 6 more games, I think he'll get there.

rthomas
03-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Top 4 scorer ever at Duke. Freaking amazing.

dukeballboy88
03-11-2011, 09:55 PM
My 2nd favorite Duke player of all time behind Hurley!

Olympic Fan
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
It was a historic night for Kyle.

(1) He picked up his 121st win, breaking a tie with Tyler Hansbrough and moving into a tie for fifth place on the ACC career list. More significantly, he STARTED his 120th win -- breaking the tie with Hansbrough (who started 119 wins) and giving him more starting wins than anybody in ACC history.

(2) He raised his career scoring total from 2,297 to 2,324 points, climbing from 11th in ACC history to eighth in ACC history. He passed David Thompson, Jeff Lamp and Mike Gminski on the chart -- giving Duke five of the top nine scorers in ACC history (No. 2 Redick, No. 4 Dawkins, No. 7 Laettner, No. 8 Singler and No. 9 Gminski).

Note: He needs 136 more points to catch Laettner for 7th place.

(3) With nine rebounds, he raised his career rebound total to 977. He needs nine rebounds to pass Gene Banks for 7th place on the Duke career list -- and 23 to reach 1,000. That would make him just the ninth player in ACC history to record 2,000-plus points and 1,000 rebounds.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Right on time, Kyle, right on time.

Finish strong -- we are all very proud to have you as a standard-bearer for our team.

NSDukeFan
03-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Right on time, Kyle, right on time.

Finish strong -- we are all very proud to have you as a standard-bearer for our team.

Exactly. All he does is win championships. (And score a ton of points.) (And grab a bunch of rebounds.) (And lead the team by example.) (And quarterback the defense.) etc.
I have certainly enjoyed watching Kyle play for Duke the last four years and hope I get to see him for 8 more games in a Duke uniform.

Jackson
03-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Pass Danny Ferry on the Duke All-Time Rebounding list? 4th in scoring and 6th and rebounds. Passing Gminski in points and Ferry in rebounds, winning another ACC tournament...not a bad weekend!

NSDukeFan
03-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Pass Danny Ferry on the Duke All-Time Rebounding list? 4th in scoring and 6th and rebounds. Passing Gminski in points and Ferry in rebounds, winning another ACC tournament...not a bad weekend!

I don't believe he has passed Ferry yet, as I think he is at 996 rebounds and Ferry is 1004. He has a great chance of getting over 1000 rebounds for his career next weekend. 2000 points, 1000 rebounds, that would be fantastic.

rthomas
03-13-2011, 09:17 PM
According to this: http://www.scacchoops.com/ACCRecords.asp?sTeam=DU

Singler is at 999 rebounds.

I don't know where these stats come from or if they are official.

basket1544
03-13-2011, 11:20 PM
According to goduke.statsgeek.com (http://goduke.statsgeek.com) Kyle has 988 rebounds (as of yesterday's game) and espn's box score has him with 8 boards today. So 996 so far. He's not done yet.

CDu
03-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Singler is now at 2,350 points and 996 rebounds. He's passed Gminski easily. He;s now 111 shy of passing Laettner and 8 rebounds shy of passing Ferry.

To reach 2,461 points and pass Laettner, he'd need the following production over the course of the tournament (depending on how far we get):

NCAA Final: 18.2 ppg
Final Four: 22.2 ppg
Elite 8: 27.5 ppg
Sweet 16 or less: not worth calculating

He'll need us to get to the championship game and he'll still need to boost his average to catch Laettner.

Barring an absolute team collapse (or injury), he's going to pass Ferry on the rebound list. He may even do it regardless of the first-round game results.

Whether he catches Laettner or not, he's certainly put himself in rarified air.

ACCBBallFan
03-14-2011, 03:58 PM
According to goduke.statsgeek.com (http://goduke.statsgeek.com) Kyle has 988 rebounds (as of yesterday's game) and espn's box score has him with 8 boards today. So 996 so far. He's not done yet.

I use that site too but adjust when GoDuke.com has slightly different metrics.

The 2000 point and 1000 rebound ACC fraternity is very exclusive company that Kyle will join this weekend:

# Name Pts Asts Rbds Stls Blks TOs All Stats Rank

1 4,257 Tyler Hansbrough 2,872 154 1,231 176 68 294 4,207 1
2 3,975 Tim Duncan 2,117 288 1,570 69 481 335 4,190 2
3 3,895 Ralph Sampson 2,227 157 1,511 95 462 342 4,110 3
4 3,882 Christian Laettner 2,460 273 1,149 243 145 398 3,872 4
5 3,693 Mike Gminski 2,323 128 1,242 22 345 275 3,785 5
6 3,664 Danny Ferry 2,155 506 1,003 169 71 396 3,508 10
12 3,473 Sam Perkins 2,146 160 1,167 125 245 185 3,658 6
15 3,378 Len Chappell 2,165 0 1,213 0 0 0 3,378 15

Here is the fill in the blanks for the other top 15 guys who did not record 1000 rebounds

7 3,647 Johnny Dawkins 2,556 555 536 168 24 414 3,425 14
8 3,633 Kyle Singler 2,350 287 996 166 106 312 3,593 7
9 3,590 Greivis Vasquez 2,171 772 647 191 39 449 3,371 16
10 3,589 Bryant Stith 2,514 216 859 177 46 280 3,532 9
11 3,511 Matt Harpring 2,225 289 997 178 29 356 3,362 17

13 3,450 J.J. Redick 2,769 306 375 152 9 296 3,315 19
14 3,426 Gene Banks 2,081 360 985 83 9 79 3,439 13

94duke
03-14-2011, 07:51 PM
6 3,664 Danny Ferry 2,155 506 1,003 169 71 396 3,508 10

Wow. Over 2,00 points, 500 assists, and 1000 rebounds. I wonder how many people have done that!

throatybeard
03-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't reckon Kyle is gonna catch Laettner in scoring. 11 today leaves him 103 shy (2464-2361). We'd have to go the whole way and he'd have to average more than 20. It's not impossible, but I'd take the under.

NSDukeFan
03-19-2011, 12:09 PM
It was a historic night for Kyle.

(1) He picked up his 121st win, breaking a tie with Tyler Hansbrough and moving into a tie for fifth place on the ACC career list. More significantly, he STARTED his 120th win -- breaking the tie with Hansbrough (who started 119 wins) and giving him more starting wins than anybody in ACC history.

(2) He raised his career scoring total from 2,297 to 2,324 points, climbing from 11th in ACC history to eighth in ACC history. He passed David Thompson, Jeff Lamp and Mike Gminski on the chart -- giving Duke five of the top nine scorers in ACC history (No. 2 Redick, No. 4 Dawkins, No. 7 Laettner, No. 8 Singler and No. 9 Gminski).

Note: He needs 136 more points to catch Laettner for 7th place.

(3) With nine rebounds, he raised his career rebound total to 977. He needs nine rebounds to pass Gene Banks for 7th place on the Duke career list -- and 23 to reach 1,000. That would make him just the ninth player in ACC history to record 2,000-plus points and 1,000 rebounds.

From goduke's notes section after the Hampton game:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205119080

* Senior Kyle Singler extended his school records for consecutive games played (146) and career starts (145). His 146 games played is tied for third most in school history with Shane Battier and is now two shy of the school record held by Christian Laettner.
* Singler broke the school record for career minutes played, passing Bobby Hurley and Chris Duhon for the top spot. He has played a total of 4,816 career minutes.
* He has scored in double figures in 32 of the 35 games this year and has 127 career games with at least 10 points.
* With his four made field goal attempts he became the eighth player in school history with 800 or more made field goals and now has 802 in his four seasons.
* Singler moved into a tie for fifth on Duke’s career three-point field goals made list, matching Bobby Hurley’s total of 264 career treys.

Not bad. School record for consecutive games played, games started, games won as a starter, career minutes played with hopefully more to come.

basket1544
03-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Kyle has now played more minutes than any other Blue Devil. He also needs 2 more games to tie Christian with 148 games played.

CDu
03-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Congrats to Singler on passing Ferry's rebound total today!

As for the Laettner chase, I think unfortunately we'll have to settle for him being the #4 scorer in Duke basketball history. There's no shame whatsoever in not catching Laettner.

For reference, he's 87 short of passing Laettner. Anything short of the Final Four and there's basically no chance. But realistically, he'd need us to make the championship and he'd need to really up his scoring rate to do it.

Championship game: 21.8 rpg
Final Four: 29.0 rpg

Regardless, passing Gminski on the scoring list and Ferry on the rebound list (along with the many other accomplishments along the way) is illustrative of how consistently great he has been in his Duke career. Let's hope we're fortunate enough to see him have four more great Duke games and help us hang another banner.

marinbobbyduhon
03-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Congrats to Singler on passing Ferry's rebound total today!

As for the Laettner chase, I think unfortunately we'll have to settle for him being the #4 scorer in Duke basketball history. There's no shame whatsoever in not catching Laettner.

For reference, he's 87 short of passing Laettner. Anything short of the Final Four and there's basically no chance. But realistically, he'd need us to make the championship and he'd need to really up his scoring rate to do it.

Championship game: 21.8 rpg
Final Four: 29.0 rpg

Regardless, passing Gminski on the scoring list and Ferry on the rebound list (along with the many other accomplishments along the way) is illustrative of how consistently great he has been in his Duke career. Let's hope we're fortunate enough to see him have four more great Duke games and help us hang another banner.

That is all that Kyle is thinking about. He has said many times that he's not that into stats - he wants to win and he is a winner. Go Duke!

Rudy
03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Bumping this for a final tally. Anybody do the numbers?

basket1544
03-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Final tally (using espn's box score for last night's stats):
148 games played (tied with Christian at first)
147 starts (first)
4887 minutes (first)
2392 points (4th)
814 field goals (7th)
1879 field goals attempted (3rd)
267 three pointers (5th)
736 three point attempts (5th)
497 free throws (10th)
643 free throws attempted (10th)
360 offensive rebounds (3rd)
655 defensive rebounds (3rd)
1015 total rebounds (6th)
107 blocks (12th)
125 wins (2nd to Shane)

devildeac
03-25-2011, 11:51 AM
147 starts (first)
4887 minutes (first)
2392 points (4th)
814 field goals (7th)
267 three pointers (5th)
497 free throws (10th)
107 blocks (12th)
125 wins (2nd to Shane)

What a great career! So sorry it ended last PM:(. To the rafters!

CDu
03-25-2011, 02:48 PM
147 starts (first)
4887 minutes (first)
2392 points (4th)
814 field goals (7th)
267 three pointers (5th)
497 free throws (10th)
107 blocks (12th)
125 wins (2nd to Shane)

Is this accurate? It seems like if only 2 guys are ahead of him in offensive rebounds, and only 2 guys are ahead of him in defensive rebounds, how is it that 5 guys are ahead of him in total rebounds? Seems like mathematically only 4 guys could possibly be ahead of him in total rebounds (since you'd have to top him somewhere). Are the ranks in off/def rebounds off, or did they not distinguish offensive/defensive rebounds until some point in history?

Regardless - it was a great career for Singler at Duke.

pfrduke
03-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Is this accurate? It seems like if only 2 guys are ahead of him in offensive rebounds, and only 2 guys are ahead of him in defensive rebounds, how is it that 5 guys are ahead of him in total rebounds? Seems like mathematically only 4 guys could possibly be ahead of him in total rebounds (since you'd have to top him somewhere). Are the ranks in off/def rebounds off, or did they not distinguish offensive/defensive rebounds until some point in history?

This is the answer. No offensive/defensive splits for Gminski, Denton, and Lewis.

CDu
03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
This is the answer. No offensive/defensive splits for Gminski, Denton, and Lewis.

Thanks. So he was probably 5th or 6th in offensive and defensive rebounds in reality. Either way, still really good.

The Gordog
03-25-2011, 02:57 PM
147 starts (first)
4887 minutes (first)
2392 points (4th)
814 field goals (7th)
267 three pointers (5th)
497 free throws (10th)
107 blocks (12th)
125 wins (2nd to Shane)

124 wins started (1st)(1st all-time ACC)

I'm curious to see how some of these other numbers stack up on the ACC charts.

rthomas
03-25-2011, 02:59 PM

Not saying it's wrong but don't believe everything you read.

The same go.duke stats page thingy for Nolan has him shooting 6476 field goal attempts, making 664 for a .103 field goal average. That can't be right either. Can it? 6476 field goal attempts?

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/misc.php?playerid=2473

And since he played 3808 minutes....

NSDukeFan
03-25-2011, 04:06 PM
What a great career! So sorry it ended last PM:(. To the rafters!

Agreed. I would have loved to have seen him play a few more games in a Duke uniform. I have enjoyed watching him play in every game I have seen.

basket1544
03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Not saying it's wrong but don't believe everything you read.

The same go.duke stats page thingy for Nolan has him shooting 6476 field goal attempts, making 664 for a .103 field goal average. That can't be right either. Can it? 6476 field goal attempts?

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/misc.php?playerid=2473

And since he played 3808 minutes....

Yeah, they are trying obviously to update it as quick as they can (they had everyone's numbers up within 12 hours of the Michigan game) and have a typo on Nolan's numbers. He's attempted 554 field goals this season not 5,554.
For the most part, goduke stats have been accurate and that's what I use.

Duke Parent 06
03-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Agreed. I would have loved to have seen him play a few more games in a Duke uniform. I have enjoyed watching him play in every game I have seen.

Yes, for the additional reason that we will never see another uniform running up the court with the #12!