PDA

View Full Version : questions

timmy c
10-25-2010, 02:13 PM
In lieu of Jumbo’s absence, I’ve taken a moment to consider some questions to be included in Phase 0 (version ’10-’11). Feel free to offer any constructive criticisms…

1) Which Frontcourt player steps up to provide rebounding and defense?
With the loss of Lance and Brian, the front court will be the biggest question mark for this Duke team. In the big games, Duke will need at least one big (Mason, Miles, Hairston or Kelly) to provide something extra to get the win. Here’s a list of the four frontcourt players who will play minutes.

a) Is this Mason’s time to rise?
Draft Express still lists Mason as a first round choice in 2011. He does have the kind of freakish athleticism that the NBA scouts drool over, but he hasn’t shown me the killer instinct or basketball IQ yet to warrant that kind of ogling. Silly fouls and turnovers could cost him some playing time. So far, he can be labeled by one of my least favorite words – potential.

b) What is Miles Plumlee role?
Miles was the starter last year but got supplanted before the 1st Maryland game. Z went for huge numbers and never looked back. Can Miles return to the starting lineup and take advantage of the physical gifts that earned him the starting spot last year?

c) Will Ryan Kelly challenge for a major role?
Ryan Kelly couldn’t get on the floor last year due to weight and defensive liability. He’s bigger now, but it was impossible to measure his growth against the front line of St. Aug’s. The level of the opposing quality bigs might not be high enough until the CBE Classic to evaluate how much he has improved in the last year.

d) Can Josh Hairston get enough run to get acclimated to the D-1 b-ball?
Hairston made the under-18 US national team, coached by Jeff Capel, because of his defense and work ethic. He didn’t need to have the ball in his hands to have an impact on the game. Will he be able to do the same thing for Duke?

2) Can Duke stay healthy?
Jumbo’s #1 question last year. With the depth on this team, this won’t be quite as big an issue for the ’10-’11 team – but it’s still an issue.
Kyle Singler had knee surgery this summer. (Can you really call anything having to do with surgery minor?!!) Seth Curry has already earned eight stiches.
If practices are wars, will Duke suffer casualties?

3) Is Kyrie as good as advertised?
Coach K has described Irving as both mentally and physically mature. (Who am I to argue with Coach K?) With so many backcourt studs, Irving won’t have to carry a heavy load, but he will need to quarterback the offensive from day 1.

4) Can this team develop its own identity separate from last year’s success?
The wealth of talent on this squad makes for an interesting dilemma. With so much depth it is possible that the conference lineup and rotation will be different than the lineup we saw versus St. Aug.. Will shifting changes in lineups be as smooth as when Z-beard role increased at home against the twerps? Ultimately, talent alone doesn’t win championships. This team needs to find its own identity. It remains to be seen if that can happen.

5) How much will Singler play at the 4?
This goes back to question 1. Kyle was fantastic at the 3 last year, but he was a match-up nightmare for PF’s in his first two years. However, he also showed signs of fatigue after spending all conference banging with bigger guys. If coach K can pick the spots to play Kyle down low, they’ll be very dangerous in the final Phase of the season. If Kyle needs to play extended minutes as the 2nd tallest Duke Player on the court, Houston could be out of reach.

Kedsy
10-25-2010, 02:17 PM
No offense intended, but I'm still very interested in seeing Jumbo's take on Phase 0.

tele
10-25-2010, 02:31 PM
No offense intended, but I'm still very interested in seeing Jumbo's take on Phase 0.

I agree.

Poincaré
10-25-2010, 02:47 PM
We can call this Phase -1.

That said, this is a good starting point. It seems that he's got most of the major ones here.

Miles, Mason, and Ryan replacing last season's rebounding concerns me the most. Z was the best offensive rebounder in the nation last year. To be the best in the country at something is no small achievement.

DukieInBrasil
10-25-2010, 02:48 PM
I might add to your list:
How will this team deal with having so many players deserving of playing time?
I think this issue pertains more to the "backcourt" than "frontcourt", as we have several guys who could all play important roles in at least 2 backcourt positions. Kyrie seemed to have no trouble doing what he needs to do vs. St. Aug., but how well will he continue to develop? All signs point to a positive situation. Beyond Kyrie, both Nolan and Seth could be called on to run the point, with Tyler Thorton appearing to be thoroughly capable of playing PG if necessary. Dawkins won't be called on to play PG but his deft touch with the 3ball will make him a candidate for big minutes, but Mr. Singler will often be occupying his spot on the floor.
The frontcourt also has lots of PT to be defined, but I think that there is a lot less stress in working that out.
I have no reason to doubt that everyone will be satisfied with their eventual roles, but perfecting the roles and distribution could make this a championship worthy team.

MChambers
10-25-2010, 02:54 PM
I would add one topic: how effective is the defense, particularly the interior defense?

timmy c
10-25-2010, 02:57 PM

No offense taken. We're all interested in seeing Jumbo's Phase 0!

whereinthehellami
10-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks timmy c.

I think the frontcourt is the biggest question mark. But it has alot of options. I think Singler finishing a game at the four due to other player's foul problems is more of a problem for the other team than it is for Duke. Singler is matchup nightmare for every team we play and that is in Duke's favor, not the other teams (regardless of who we play).

In the off-season I was more of a fan of both Plumlees playing together because I think they feed off each other but I'm starting to think that Ryan should start alongside either one of the Plumlees, as long as his defense can measure up. I don't the Plumlees differentiate themselves enough when compared to the different skills that Ryan would bring to the table. In the end I don't really think it matters who starts in the froncourt as I see the Plumlees and Ryan as being pretty interchangeable and playing close to equal minutes.

I think Hairston is the odd man out in the frontcourt as far as quality playing time this year. He will no doubht see alot of time but i think it will be more in cleanup situations. I think Singler is a better fourth option for the frontcourt if needed in crunch time.

The backcourt looks filthy sick (CDC bad). I think the biggest thing will be for everyone to try and identify their roles and to buy into them ASAP. If they do that sooner than later than Duke is going to be really, really hard to stop. I had Thornton pegged as the odd man out in the backcourt ala Hairston in the froncourt but could see Thornton getting some burn in crunch time if needed based on recent reports. He sounds solid. Duke has the backcourt to go small ball and thrive, though I really hope they don't do that. Stay balanced and keep the bigs involved and happy. But this team's strengths definately reside in the back court.

The biggest thing in my mind as to how well Duke does, is with injuries. If they are relatively injury free most of the year than they will be a load for every team they face.

Emeritus
10-25-2010, 03:06 PM
If it isn't classified, where is Jumbo? I have really missed his posts and insights for quite some time. I hope I am not out of line in asking...if he is in a witness protection program feel free to ignore the inquiry... GO BLUE DEVILS.. I can't wait for the games to begin.

ACCBBallFan
10-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Something to tide us over until Jumbo works his way thru his over-extended to do list.

Good starter list.

My take is Kyle wil play some 4 more because so many of the ACC teams have better PFs than SFs, not necessarily to free up PT for Seth and Dre. He is a mismatch at whatever posiiton he plays, plays same game offensively.

At PF, Tracy Smith now per some State folks who say he and Lowe have made that agreement to help him prep fpor NBA with Howell, Vandenberg and Painter the centers by committee. When State has C J Leslie at SF, may want Kyle to guard him, while Mason-Ryan try and stoip Tracy Smith. Dre could guard Scotty Wood to let Kyle try and stop Tracy.

Other ACC PFs put Kyle on Jeff Allen instead of Tyrelle Bell; Joe Trapani instead of Corey Raji, Mike Scott instead of whoever UVA can muster at SF, Chris Singleton but not clear whether he will play PF with Michael Snaer at WF; or Singleton @ WF with the JUCO Bernard James at PF. Also versus GA Tech to match up with their 3 guard lineup of Mo Miller/Mfon Udofia- Iman Shumpert - Oliver/ Rice Jr to enable Kyle to dominate Kameron Holsey, though Mason or Ryan might do this anyway, while Miles takes on the red-shirt Dan Miller GA Tech very inexperienced in post.

On the flip side Kyle plays SF vs Barnes instead of guarding Henson or Knox; Milton Jennings if Clemson plays him as WF too big for Dre or Nolan; leaving Mason-Ryan to deal with Devon Booker and Miles to contest Jerai Grant. Differnet story if Clemson goes with Bryan Narcisse or Tanner Smith or Noel Johnson at WF where Dre or Nolan could match up.

On your question #1 a 3 man rotation of Plumlees and Kelly with some cameo appearances by Josh or sometimes Kyle at PF. Of the three I like Ryan to break out as a mismatch nightmare Singler-lite who can leverage his superior basketball IQ and his new bulk.

Irivng will be just fiine flanked by Nolan and Kyle and when one of them is resting Seth or Dre.

One of Jumbo's questions is usually surprise player. Kelly is one and Tyler Thonrton the other. Kid is a winner, plays tough defense and may earn that backup PG role. I like the substitution K made versus St Augustine having Kyrie run the Blue Team until they get some success, then swapping in Tyler to give Kyrie a breather.

IMO, Seth and Nolan will each fare better off the ball than as reserve PGs. Dre's minutes will be mostly @ WF for 5- 10 MPG Kyle rests and another 5-10 MPG when Kyle is the PF. It will be easy for him after having had to practice vs. Kyle all week with no one 6'8" 237 at ACC SF except Singler.

There is only one Jumbo on Phase posts, but glad you started up some warmup discussion until he is back in the saddle.

ACCBBallFan
10-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks timmy c.

I think the frontcourt is the biggest question mark. But it has alot of options. I think Singler finishing a game at the four due to other player's foul problems is more of a problem for the other team than it is for Duke. Singler is matchup nightmare for every team we play and that is in Duke's favor, not the other teams (regardless of who we play).

In the off-season I was more of a fan of both Plumlees playing together because I think they feed off each other but I'm starting to think that Ryan should start alongside either one of the Plumlees, as long as his defense can measure up. I don't the Plumlees differentiate themselves enough when compared to the different skills that Ryan would bring to the table. In the end I don't really think it matters who starts in the froncourt as I see the Plumlees and Ryan as being pretty interchangeable and playing close to equal minutes.

I think Hairston is the odd man out in the frontcourt as far as quality playing time this year. He will no doubht see alot of time but i think it will be more in cleanup situations. I think Singler is a better fourth option for the frontcourt if needed in crunch time.

The backcourt looks filthy sick (CDC bad). I think the biggest thing will be for everyone to try and identify their roles and to buy into them ASAP. If they do that sooner than later than Duke is going to be really, really hard to stop. I had Thornton pegged as the odd man out in the backcourt ala Hairston in the froncourt but could see Thornton getting some burn in crunch time if needed based on recent reports. He sounds solid. Duke has the backcourt to go small ball and thrive, though I really hope they don't do that. Stay balanced and keep the bigs involved and happy. But this team's strengths definately reside in the back court.

The biggest thing in my mind as to how well Duke does, is with injuries. If they are relatively injury free most of the year than they will be a load for every team they face.

Hard to argue with any of this. Good post.

superdave
10-25-2010, 03:20 PM
My take is Kyle wil play some 4 more because so many of the ACC teams have better PFs than SFs, not necessarily to free up PT for Seth and Dre. He is a mismatch at whatever posiiton he plays, plays same game offensively.

IMO, Seth and Nolan will each fare better off the ball than as reserve PGs. Dre's minutes will be mostly @ WF for 5- 10 MPG Kyle rests and another 5-10 MPG when Kyle is the PF. It will be easy for him after having had to practice vs. Kyle all week with no one 6'8" 237 at ACC SF except Singler.

I think Kyle will play the 4 if there's a matchup to exploit or during end of game situations where we go small to get an extra guard on the floor to go into the stall/delay game, spread the floor and shoot FTs.

ddsdevil
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Ryan Kelly will see the floor plenty this season, but I don't think I'm ready to say that he starts over one of the Plumlees. He very well may, he just hasn't proven himself yet. He looked good against St. Augustine, but that's St. Augustine. He will have to prove that he can play solid defense and rebound. IMO, out of the Plumlees, Kelly, and Hairston, whoever plays D and rebounds the best will start because scoring will come from the back court.