PDA

View Full Version : Duke Alumnus saves GM?

Poincaré
10-25-2010, 10:42 AM
I am not an OTB person, but I wanted to share this fascinating link (http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2010/11/01/101101crbo_books_gladwell) since it involves Duke alumnus Rick Wagoner.

Does anyone know Wagoner personally? I wonder what he thinks of all this.

blazindw
10-25-2010, 12:53 PM
I know Mr. Wagoner very well...went to high school and Duke with his sons, played ball with them, dad worked for GM for 40 years (and I did as well twice). When I saw him a while back, he seemed in good spirits though I don't doubt he was very disappointed. Personally, I think that Rick would have led GM back from bankruptcy. He was always trying to take GM to the next level and he made GM a great place to work. He was always at our high school games despite his busy schedule and was constantly working into the night to right the ship. Despite all that, he always had time for me, and that is something you don't get from someone who's the CEO of the largest corporation on earth. Sadly, he was the public scapegoat, and I don't think he got a fair deal out of it.

weezie
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Yes, I heard from friends and family members in DTW that Wagoner was very well thought of, even by the union members he was negotiating with. He had one of the toughest jobs in the world. Folks in the "D" were sad when he got the axe.