PDA

View Full Version : Duke Student Passes Away

VaDukie
10-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Last night Duke Basketball lost one of its biggest fans.

Drew Everson, a senior in Trinity and a Line Monitor since his junior year, passed away last night after suffering from severe head trauma. Those of you who have been attending games the last few years would recognize Drew as the "Viking boy" - a sacred look he took as his own.

I've known Drew since his freshman year and he was a uniquely gifted and well rounded person. In addition to serving as a Line Monitor Drew was a member of Pi Kappa Phi, a championship debater in high school and college, a columnist for the Chronicle, and a performer in the sketch comedy group "Inside Joke." Drew spent this past summer working for Goldman Sachs and was planning on pursuing a career in investment banking after graduation.

I don't know all the medical details but it appears to have been a freak accident and no foul play is suspected. The Chronicle should have information tomorrow. A memorial service has been scheduled Wednesday at noon.

I've attached a pair of photos with Drew (in Viking helmet of course) and some friends in Indianapolis. We'll have someone special watching our guys all the way to Houston this year.

dukelifer
10-24-2010, 09:37 PM

Drew Everson, a senior in Trinity and a Line Monitor since his junior year, passed away last night after suffering from severe head trauma. Those of you who have been attending games the last few years would recognize Drew as the "Viking boy" - a sacred look he took as his own.

I've known Drew since his freshman year and he was a uniquely gifted and well rounded person. In addition to serving as a Line Monitor Drew was a member of Pi Kappa Phi, a championship debater in high school and college, a columnist for the Chronicle, and a performer in the sketch comedy group "Inside Joke." Drew spent this past summer working for Goldman Sachs and was planning on pursuing a career in investment banking after graduation.

I don't know all the medical details but it appears to have been a freak accident and no foul play is suspected. The Chronicle should have information tomorrow. A memorial service has been scheduled Wednesday at noon.

I've attached a pair of photos with Drew (in Viking helmet of course) and some friends in Indianapolis. We'll have someone special watching our guys all the way to Houston this year.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Looks like he lived life with gusto and will be missed.

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Thoughts to you VaDukie, and of course his family and friends. Thanks for sharing the news with us, very sorry for your loss.

TampaDukie
10-24-2010, 09:42 PM
How awful to think of such a young life being taken so suddenly. My regards to his family and all who knew him.

airowe
10-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Sorry for your loss to all who are effected.

Jderf
10-24-2010, 09:50 PM

(...)

We'll have someone special watching our guys all the way to Houston this year.

Anybody who knew Drew knew that he was a great person. Duke basketball, along with many other things, will not be the same without him.

VaDukie
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
A friend just sent this my way. Drew (white shirt) on ESPNU debating who has the better football program: Duke or Wake. Drew's segment starts at 1:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kH-VujFV2I&feature=player_profilepage

DevilHorns
10-24-2010, 10:31 PM
This is incredibly sad. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

kong123
10-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Sorry to hear it. The last UNC/Duke game he saw was a 82-50 blow out. He went out on top.

Gthoma2a
10-24-2010, 10:35 PM
My condolences to those who knew him. It is always hard when someone dies this young. I wish his loved ones all the best in their hour of greif.

dukebsbll14
10-24-2010, 11:07 PM
I send my prayers to Drew's family and friends. While I did not know Drew, losing a fellow Crazie who loved Duke as much as he did really feels like you've lost someone you know.

I say we give Drew a big shout-out at the rest of our home games this year.

DevilAlumna
10-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Oh, how sad.

I assume Drew was the "faux viking guy" from last year's thread?
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?19496-Putting-out-a-hit-on-Imitation-Viking&highlight=viking

My condolences and prayers out to his family and friends.

El_Diablo
10-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Very tragic. My condolences to all his family and friends.

blazindw
10-25-2010, 12:20 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Drew a few times when I was down for basketball games the past couple of seasons. He definitely was a nice guy and certainly gave his all in supporting our Blue Devils. My condolences to his family and friends.

Starter
10-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Real shame, looked like a nice kid. Rest in peace.

Son of Jarhead
10-25-2010, 09:10 AM
...my thoughts & prayers are with his family, friends, classmates, & fellow fans. The loss of one so young & bright is very sad indeed. Rest in Peace Drew.

DukieInKansas
10-25-2010, 09:20 AM
My condolences and prayers to his family and friends.

monkey
10-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Just wanted to add my condolences and best wishes to friends and family.

roywhite
10-25-2010, 10:45 AM
From today's Chronicle (http://dukechronicle.com/article/senior-dies-sat-after-tragic-fall)

What a tragedy to lose such a promising young man. Condolences to his family and friends.

4decadedukie
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
This is a tragedy for so many, especially for Drew's family and friends. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Duke Mom
10-25-2010, 12:10 PM
My heart aches for Drew's parents, brother, family and friends. There are no words to adequately comfort the pain and deep sorrow caused by the tragic loss of such a young, vibrant life - taken much too soon.

You are in my thoughts.

DevilWearsPrada
10-25-2010, 12:17 PM

Thank you for sharing your pictures from Indy Final 4. I heard the tragic news on TV last night. I had talked with Drew at several games, and at Indy. So sad, when a young person passes away, especially on campus.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I know Lauren, that is in front, of course Nolan, and Melissa, the cheerleader. That picture was taken at the Team Hotel, after the Championship game; as I was at the Hotel at that time, aslo. So sorry for your lose. And thanks for posting the wonderful pictures.

SilkyJ
10-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Oh, how sad.

I assume Drew was the "faux viking guy" from last year's thread?
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?19496-Putting-out-a-hit-on-Imitation-Viking&highlight=viking

My condolences and prayers out to his family and friends.

Yes, that was Drew. He was a good guy and a huge Duke fan. When I met him in Indy I gave him a good ribbing, courtesy of Ed.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I know Lauren, that is in front, of course Nolan, and Melissa, the cheerleader. That picture was taken at the Team Hotel, after the Championship game; as I was at the Hotel at that time, aslo. So sorry for your lose. And thanks for posting the wonderful pictures.

That's exactly right. My sister and I are also in the picture as we met Drew through Lauren at the Final Four. He was as big a Duke fan and Crazie as any of us.

The guy on the far right is the team's mascot and a friend of Drew's, I believe, so hopefully he'll give him a shoutout somehow at the next game.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Here's a picture of Drew, Lauren and Me celebrating by swimming in the fountain in Indy after the championship. I'm pretty sure Drew did a belly flop from the upper to the lower level shortly after this. Needless to say, he loved his Blue Devils.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs053.snc3/14096_1408547621697_1472640006_31103227_1842286_n. jpg

DevilWearsPrada
10-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures!!!

We had a blast at the Final 4. Lauren sat in the row in front of me. I had an aisle seat and ran up and down the steps high fiving throughout the game.

I cant even imagine how Drew's family are taking this. Its still all on the local news.

Dukeface88
10-25-2010, 08:01 PM
This is really terrible news. I didn't know Drew well, but I had taken a couple of classes with him. He was a good guy. My heart and prayers go out to his family.

Newton_14
10-25-2010, 08:19 PM
This is very sad. My sincerest condolences to the family as well as his friends. Many years ago, I lost a close friend who was only 23 at the time of his death. It was a tragic car accident on I-85. The memory of that pain is something I would not wish upon anyone. As is the case here, a life that was in many ways just beginning, came to an end much too soon.

Rest In Peace Viking Guy II

WillJ
10-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm very sorry for you and for his family. It's very painful when a young person dies. I can't help but also think back to when a good friend fell from the third floor of House I and walked away with only a scrape - thank goodness. Life and death can be very capricious.

GODUKEGO
10-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Very sad story!!

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/10/26/760607/death-saddens-bewilders-duke.html

DevilWearsPrada
10-26-2010, 09:09 AM
The N&O was a very nice article.

The Duke Chapel will hold service on Wednesday.

Miss you Viking Guy 2.0 !!!

Viking Guy
10-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Tragic news. May you rest in Valhalla, little buddy.

SilkyJ
11-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Per the Blue Devil Mascot's Twitter (@The1BlueDevil):

"1,000 viking helmets just arrived in Cameron for Drew for Nov. 14!!!"

noyac
11-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Per the Blue Devil Mascot's Twitter:

I think that will be an amazing tribute

roywhite
11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Per the Blue Devil Mascot's Twitter (@The1BlueDevil):

Awesome.

Any idea who made that happen?

SilkyJ
11-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Awesome.

Any idea who made that happen?

I don't. Just saw the tweet.

I do know that Patrick (the mascot) and Drew were friends (or at least friendly) from when I met them in Indy. Both of them are in the picture in the OP with Nolan -- Drew is easily spotted, Patrick is the person farthest to the right in the gray shirt.