PDA

View Full Version : A New Voice in Cameron

B-well
10-24-2010, 07:53 PM
During the exhibition game with St Aug's, Duke scored 46 field goals, each of which was acclaimed by the new Public Address announcer.

He also was laboriously careful to clearly identify which team and player was charged with each ionfraction.

It was a little less clear as to who was reporting in to play.

BUT ...:(

Not one of the players who made the 38 assists for Duke was recognized.

Not one of the players who stole the ball or rejected a St. Aug's shot was recognized.

Is this the new style?

We place a lot of importance on team basketball at Duke - maybe the new PA announcer can pass out kudo's for something other than shooting.

uh_no
10-24-2010, 07:59 PM
We place a lot of importance on team basketball at Duke - maybe the new PA announcer can pass out kudo's for something other than shooting.

Other than points, assists, substitutions, fouls and special announcements, we never got nything else in the past.....

msdukie
10-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Dr. Chandler always announced who rejected shots. (ex: "Rejection by the Chief). He also would announce the player who scored and who the assist was from. (ex: "J.J. Redick for three from Dockery"). He did not announce steals (or charges). Unlike lesser programs (i.e. Florida, UNC women's basketball), no one has ever announced travelling or turnovers (especially possessions out of bounds) in Cameron. I like the minimalism as this is Cameron and you should know what is going on. However, assists and blocks should be announced.

It should also pointed out that no one ever tells us Code 5 is available in Room 213 anymore and that deeply saddens me.

nctalkinghead
10-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Being able to identify the player who made the pass or blocked the shot requires that the PA guy - or any announcer - concentrate on the entire playing court. That is what Art Chandler did and what made him such a great announcer. My guess is that the new guy is just watching the basket to make sure he has the scorer right. That's a shame and I hope he gets better, although he comes from Elon where he did quite a few games. In Coach K's radio postgame comments he quickly cited the 38 assists as being important...kind of sends a message about priority that the new guy might want to heed.