PDA

View Full Version : The Top 50 players in college basketball

JasonEvans
10-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I generally find these kind of lists to be silly, but they seem to inspire interesting conversations and a good debate or two.

Anyway, Rivals (via Yahoo) has ranked the top 50 players in the college game right now. Their countdown is up to player #15. Here is how it stands so far--

15. Jon Leuer - Wisconsin
16. Kris Joseph - Syrac
17. Kalin Lucas - Mich St
18. Brandon Knight - Ky (freshman)
19. Elias Harris - Gonzaga
20. Perry Jones - Baylor (freshman)
21. Will Barton - Memphis (freshman)
22. Corey Joseph - Texas (freshman)
23. Shelvin Mack - Butler
24. Derrick Williams - Ariz
25. Travis Leslie - Georgia
26. Kenneth Faried - Morehead St.
27. Jimmy Butler - Marq.
28. Alec Burks - Colorado
29. Ashton Gibbs - Pitt
30. Durrell Summers - Mich St
31. Williams Buford - Ohio St
32. Tracy Smith - NC St
33. Kemba Walker- UConns
34. Dimitri McCamey - Illinois
35. E'Twaun Moore - Purdue
36. Keith Benson- Oakland
37. Kawhi Leonard - San Diego St.
38. Charles Jenkins - Hofstra
39. Tobias Harris - Tenn (freshman)
40. Austin Freeman - GTown
41. Kevin Jones - West Va
42. Chris Wright - Dayton
43. Klay Thompson - Wash St
44. Mike Tisdale- Illinois
45. Draymond Green - Mich St
46. Lavoy Allen - Temple
47. Taylor Battle - Penn St
48. Reggie Bulloch - UNC (freshman)
49. Damien Saunders - Duquesne
50. Chris Wright - Georgetown

Worth noting --Rivals says they are ranking the players with this criteria --

'Top' doesn't necessarily mean the most pro potential or even the most talent. Rather, it's a combination of what the player has accomplished and how we think the player will do this season. But production does trump potential.

Given that statement, they are ranking some freshmen verrrry high. Heck, I bet they would have put John Henson among the top 30 players in the land a year ago. Oooops, he wasn't quite up to that billing, was he?

It is a safe bet that Kyle, Nolan, and Kyrie will all be in the top 14. Kyle would be the most likely player to be #1, I think. I am sure Barnes will be up there too, likely in the top 10.

I think it is clear that Rivals wanted very much to include some smaller college players on their list, and I like that. With that in mind though, is there any question that Seth Curry would be ranked if he had remained at Liberty? He would be a rising junior with a 20ppg freshman season under his belt. I am betting he would probably be in the top 30.

--Jason "obviously, we will update this thread as the list gets counted higher" Evans

Jderf
10-24-2010, 05:58 PM
I think it is clear that Rivals wanted very much to include some smaller college players on their list, and I like that. With that in mind though, is there any question that Seth Curry would be ranked if he had remained at Liberty? He would be a rising junior with a 20ppg freshman season under his belt. I am betting he would probably be in the top 30.

--Jason "obviously, we will update this thread as the list gets counted higher" Evans

I think there is a good chance he still might be in the top 14, unless he was somehow forgotten. It's hard to imagine that they would rank a freshman Reggie Bullock but pass over Seth and his 20 ppg season, especially if, as they say, they are considering production more important than potential.

COYS
10-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I think there is a good chance he still might be in the top 14, unless he was somehow forgotten. It's hard to imagine that they would rank a freshman Reggie Bullock but pass over Seth and his 20 ppg season, especially if, as they say, they are considering production more important than potential.

On the other hand, the people compiling the list may have simply viewed a sortable stat sheet for all returning players which may not have included Seth since he sat out last season. That could account for his absence from the list.

El_Diablo
10-24-2010, 08:07 PM
My prediction for Top 14:
1. Singler - Duke
2. Pullen - KSU
3. Fredette - BYU
4. Dunn - Baylor
5. Smith - Duke
6. Barnes - UNC (freshman)
7. Delaney - VT
8. Selby - KU (freshman)
9. Kanter - UK (freshman)
10. Sullinger - OSU (freshman)
11. Thomas - Washington
12. Irving - Duke (freshman)
13. Hazell - Seton Hall
14. Johnson - Purdue

El_Diablo
10-24-2010, 08:14 PM
On second thought, maybe drop Delaney down a few spots...

timmy c
10-24-2010, 08:21 PM
I doubt Seth Curry makes the list.
Here’s my guess for the top 14

1. Kyle Singler - Duke
2. Harrison Barnes – UNC (freshman)
3. Jacob Pullen - K-state
4. Enes Kanter – Kentucky (freshman)*
5. Jared Sullinger - Ohio State (freshman)
6. Corey Fischer - Villanova
7. Nolan Smith - Duke
8. LaceDarius Dunn - Baylor
9. Scotty Hopson - Tennessee
10. Malcolm Delaney - VA Tech
11. Kyrie Irving - Duke (freshman)
12. Josh Selby – Kansas (freshman)*
13. Jimmy Fredette - BYU
14. JaJuan Johnson - Purdue

* not yet eligible

NSDukeFan
10-24-2010, 08:24 PM
My prediction for Top 14:
1. Singler - Duke
2. Pullen - KSU
3. Fredette - BYU
4. Dunn - Baylor
5. Smith - Duke
6. Barnes - UNC (freshman)
7. Delaney - VT
8. Selby - KU (freshman)
9. Kanter - UK (freshman)
10. Sullinger - OSU (freshman)
11. Thomas - Washington
12. Irving - Duke (freshman)
13. Hazell - Seton Hall
14. Johnson - Purdue

Without doing any research on my own your list looks reasonable. Looking at the list overall, my first thought is there is no way production trumps potential with that many freshmen listed and how high they are ranked.

Gthoma2a
10-24-2010, 08:27 PM
The thing that kills me is that I don't see how a freshman who hasn't played a game could be 2. Barnes deserves a lot of the hype, but 2? I think that Pullen or Delaney or any number of proven prospects should be there instead, but you have to give UNC their annual dose of hype (last year they were ranked higher than us coming into the season).

timmy c
10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
The thing that kills me is that I don't see how a freshman who hasn't played a game could be 2. Barnes deserves a lot of the hype, but 2? I think that Pullen or Delaney or any number of proven prospects should be there instead, but you have to give UNC their annual dose of hype (last year they were ranked higher than us coming into the season).

I totally agree, all the freshman on rivals list are overated. But they did get us to talking about the upcoming season. Funny thing is, they missed a freshman that I think might be a bit under the radar - Fab Melo - Syracuse.

ACCBBallFan
10-24-2010, 09:08 PM
The thing that kills me is that I don't see how a freshman who hasn't played a game could be 2. Barnes deserves a lot of the hype, but 2? I think that Pullen or Delaney or any number of proven prospects should be there instead, but you have to give UNC their annual dose of hype (last year they were ranked higher than us coming into the season).I would not be surprised that the top 14 would not include Kanter or Selby until they are deemed eligible and the remaining frosh though all high potential would be more in the 10-14 range than 1-5.

Probably done after Hummel was injured or he would have been there.

Would have to look at the list again but if they are not already there Trey Thomkins from GA and Alec Burks from Colorado (edit - Burks was # 28), perhaps Malik Wayns Nova, Tyler Honeycitt UCLA or Wally Judge K -St, maybe even Mason or Henson depending on how much body English Rivals uses verus an NBA oriented analysis like SLAM.

El_Diablo
10-24-2010, 09:17 PM
I would not be surprised that the top 14 would not include Kanter or Selby until they are deemed eligible and the remaining frosh though all high potential would be more in the 10-14 range than 1-5.

Probably done after Hummel was injured or he would have been there.

Would have to look at the list again but if they are not already there Trey Thomkins from GA and Alec Burks from Colorado (edit - Burks was # 28), perhaps Malik Wayns Nova, Tyler Honeycitt UCLA or Wally Judge K -St, maybe even Mason or Henson depending on how much body English Rivals uses verus an NBA oriented analysis like SLAM.

Speaking of which, Kim English should be somewhere on that Top 50 list too. And the two Coreys from Villanova. I don't think any of them are top 14, so they were probably left off entirely.

timmy c
10-24-2010, 09:31 PM
I think Thomkins is a glaring omission also. I am also surprised that they didn't include Kevin Anderson from the Richmond Spiders.

Speaking of which, Kim English should be somewhere on that Top 50 list too. And the two Coreys from Villanova. I don't think any of them are top 14, so they were probably left off entirely.

Corey Fischer has to be on this list. I'll be shocked if they missed him!

JasonEvans
10-25-2010, 09:15 AM
And coming in at #14 (http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/photofeature.asp?fid=34456)--- Kyrie Irving.

No. 14: Duke G Kyrie Irving

THE PARTICULARS: 6-2/180, Fr.; Elizabeth (N.J.) St. Patrick

THE BUZZ: How good is Irving? Good enough to help run the offense for the defending national champs. The No. 4 prospect in the 2010 class, he averaged 24.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 1.6 steals as a senior. He was a McDonald’s All-American, a finalist for the Naismith national player of the year and co-MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic game.

--Jason "there are a lot of freshmen still to come" Evans

timmy c
10-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Yahoo misses low with Nolan Smith at #11. I'm disapointed in the quality of the list.

JasonEvans
10-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Nolan should be higher. The whole "production trumps potential" thing is just lip service if Nolan is at #11.

Updating the list...

11. Nolan Smith - Duke
12. Enis Kanter - Kentucky (freshman)
13. Malcolm Delaney - Va Tech
14. Kyrie Irving - Duke (freshman)
15. Jon Leuer - Wisconsin
16. Kris Joseph - Syrac
17. Kalin Lucas - Mich St
18. Brandon Knight - Ky (freshman)
19. Elias Harris - Gonzaga
20. Perry Jones - Baylor (freshman)
21. Will Barton - Memphis (freshman)
22. Corey Joseph - Texas (freshman)
23. Shelvin Mack - Butler
24. Derrick Williams - Ariz
25. Travis Leslie - Georgia
26. Kenneth Faried - Morehead St.
27. Jimmy Butler - Marq.
28. Alec Burks - Colorado
29. Ashton Gibbs - Pitt
30. Durrell Summers - Mich St
31. Williams Buford - Ohio St
32. Tracy Smith - NC St
33. Kemba Walker- UConns
34. Dimitri McCamey - Illinois
35. E'Twaun Moore - Purdue
36. Keith Benson- Oakland
37. Kawhi Leonard - San Diego St.
38. Charles Jenkins - Hofstra
39. Tobias Harris - Tenn (freshman)
40. Austin Freeman - GTown
41. Kevin Jones - West Va
42. Chris Wright - Dayton
43. Klay Thompson - Wash St
44. Mike Tisdale- Illinois
45. Draymond Green - Mich St
46. Lavoy Allen - Temple
47. Taylor Battle - Penn St
48. Reggie Bulloch - UNC (freshman)
49. Damien Saunders - Duquesne
50. Chris Wright - Georgetown

--Jason "top 10 - coming up!" Evans

brevity
10-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Nolan should be higher. The whole "production trumps potential" thing is just lip service if Nolan is at #11.

One way to look at this -- not the best way, but one way -- is to equate the top 15 with All-America teams. Nolan Smith is viewed as just missing the 2nd team. I think he makes it, but I can understand a difference of opinion there.

As I see it, Nolan has too much backcourt competition that could (statistically) hold him back. Kyle does not.

I'd have to see the top 10 to see if anyone ranked there seems suspiciously undeserving. I'm guessing it will feature players from 10 different teams. No double dipping.

johnb
10-28-2010, 01:47 PM

I dunno--11's pretty darn good, especially when we have 3 of the top 16

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I wish they would do this list at Christmas instead of preseason. If you are going to list freshmen, let's see them actually stand up to the hype first. (It would be cool to revisit this thread midseason and see who has dropped and risen.)

Wander
10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
This anti-freshman stuff is ridiculous - have people been watching the game the past five years? We've had Wall, Cousins, Beasley, Love, Durant, Oden, and Hansbrough on 1st or 2nd All-American teams, and that doesn't include freshmen who were honestly top 10 players but didn't have a complete enough early season to justify contending for national player of the year (like Derrick Rose).

I don't have any problem putting Barnes up in the top five players. I don't guarantee that prediction will turn out to be correct, but I don't guarantee it with Singler or Pullen either. And I certainly can't see a justification for putting Barnes behind Delaney, who has to have become the most overrated player in the country by this point.

NSDukeFan
10-28-2010, 04:26 PM
This anti-freshman stuff is ridiculous - have people been watching the game the past five years? We've had Wall, Cousins, Beasley, Love, Durant, Oden, and Hansbrough on 1st or 2nd All-American teams, and that doesn't include freshmen who were honestly top 10 players but didn't have a complete enough early season to justify contending for national player of the year (like Derrick Rose).

I don't have any problem putting Barnes up in the top five players. I don't guarantee that prediction will turn out to be correct, but I don't guarantee it with Singler or Pullen either. And I certainly can't see a justification for putting Barnes behind Delaney, who has to have become the most overrated player in the country by this point.

Wall and Cousins were consensus 1st and 2nd team AA last year, no other freshman made a single AA team or was AP honorable mention as far as I can tell.

I think Tyreke Evans may have been the only honorable mention AA in the weaker 2009 freshman class.

Kevin Love and Michael Beasley were both consensus first team AA, Derrick Rose was a 3rd team AA, O.J. Mayo and Jerryd Bayless were both honorable mention in 2008.

Kevin Durant was consensus 1st team AA, Greg Oden consensus 2nd team, D.J. Augustin, Mike Conley were honorable mention in 2007.

I may be missing someone, but that's 12 players who were honorable mention (top 50ish?) including 7 All-Americans over the past 4 years. I don't have a problem with ranking some freshmen to be near the top, but this list has 8 players listed so far, with Barnes still to come. Unless this class is much better than usual, I would expect a couple players to contend for all-american honors (hopefully KI) and maybe one or two to be honorable mention, not the 9 they have listed. It seems odd to list this many freshmen on a list that says that production trumps potential.

I think you are correct that there is certainly no guarantee that Kyle ends up an All-American. He will have to have a great season for that occur. I am hoping and expecting that he has a decent chance for that to happen.

As far as how someone could rank Delaney ahead of Barnes, I believe it would be due to production over potential. Delaney received ACC POY votes and was a unanimous first team pick last year. I believe he scored about 800 more points in college basketball than Barnes did last year. Barnes may be the better player this year, but I certainly would give Delaney the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Wander
10-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I believe he scored about 800 more points in college basketball than Barnes did last year. Barnes may be the better player this year, but I certainly would give Delaney the benefit of the doubt at this point.

By that logic, there are over 2000 players in college basketball better than Barnes, or Irving, or Kanter.

Last year is last year. If you think Barnes will be better than Delaney this year, then just rank him higher. Everyone is an unknown to some degree - sure, freshmen may on average be more unknown than upperclassmen, but that's not the same as being worse. To put it in dorky math terms: Barnes has more of a standard deviation than Delaney, but his expected value is still (significantly) higher.

NSDukeFan
10-28-2010, 06:30 PM
By that logic, there are over 2000 players in college basketball better than Barnes, or Irving, or Kanter.

Last year is last year. If you think Barnes will be better than Delaney this year, then just rank him higher. Everyone is an unknown to some degree - sure, freshmen may on average be more unknown than upperclassmen, but that's not the same as being worse. To put it in dorky math terms: Barnes has more of a standard deviation than Delaney, but his expected value is still (significantly) higher.

There are over 2000 players in college basketball who have produced more than Barnes, Irving, or Kanter. I just think the authors were wrong when they said that production matters more than potential and then proceeded to rank what I feel is too many freshmen in their top 50. I agree that Barnes' expected value is a lot higher than Delaney's. I just don't know if that will be the case this year. Based on the history of freshmen making first team all-ACC, I would say no. Based on the precedent set by Hansborough, Durant, Beasley and Love, I would say maybe.

ElSid
10-28-2010, 07:37 PM
I wonder how this list equates to the upcoming expected NBA draft. You'd want to see Mason Plumlee on this list above Reggie Bullock, then. He is expected to go higher in the draft next year if he wants to go, but is expected to have a lesser college year than Bullock? Maybe that's fair, in the sense that Bullock is going to have to score more points for his team than Mason. But it doesn't really equate. It's not really supposed to equate...

I think this is just a dumb list for those of us who are totally jonesing for the season to start and will read anything with a mention of our favorite players or teams.

JohnGalt
10-28-2010, 08:04 PM
I wonder how this list equates to the upcoming expected NBA draft. You'd want to see Mason Plumlee on this list above Reggie Bullock, then. He is expected to go higher in the draft next year if he wants to go, but is expected to have a lesser college year than Bullock? Maybe that's fair, in the sense that Bullock is going to have to score more points for his team than Mason. But it doesn't really equate. It's not really supposed to equate...

I think this is just a dumb list for those of us who are totally jonesing for the season to start and will read anything with a mention of our favorite players or teams.

Rivals mentioned that "production trumps potential" (however debatable that may be when looking at their list) which means that it probably won't too strongly equate with the upcoming Draft. Drafts are, after all, mostly about the big P...and I don't mean production.

ElSid
10-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Rivals mentioned that "production trumps potential" (however debatable that may be when looking at their list) which means that it probably won't too strongly equate with the upcoming Draft. Drafts are, after all, mostly about the big P...and I don't mean production.

Right...so, Mason has produced more and, by NBA scouts' estimations, has more potential and is a higher projected draft pick next year. At 6'10" and bouncy, I think Mason might have more upside.

So I think Bullock is on the list to make more UNC fans read the list perhaps? Just nitpicking.

JasonEvans
10-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Georgia F Trey Thompkins comes in at #10 on the list.

-Jason

Duvall
10-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Perhaps, but I reserve the right to mock Rivals for putting Josh Selby ahead of both Kyrie Irving and Nolan Smith.

DukieInBrasil
10-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Right...so, Mason has produced more and, by NBA scouts' estimations, has more potential and is a higher projected draft pick next year. At 6'10" and bouncy, I think Mason might have more upside.

So I think Bullock is on the list to make more UNC fans read the list perhaps? Just nitpicking.

I seriously don't get why Bullock was on that list. The kid is probably gonna be a fine player, but based on their own criteria, production over potential, he shouldn't be there.
When compared to Mason, Bullock's inclusion makes no sense other than to placate Heels fans. I doubt Bullock makes any of the All-ACC teams this year, even though he may at some point in the future.

JasonEvans
10-29-2010, 06:24 PM
I seriously don't get why Bullock was on that list. The kid is probably gonna be a fine player, but based on their own criteria, production over potential, he shouldn't be there.
When compared to Mason, Bullock's inclusion makes no sense other than to placate Heels fans. I doubt Bullock makes any of the All-ACC teams this year, even though he may at some point in the future.

I don't think Bullock is even gonna start for the Heels... at least not right away.

-Jason "makes zero sense" Evans

Duke: A Dynasty
10-31-2010, 04:55 AM
This whole list to me looks like it is just whom they think will produce the most. Maybe the reason Bullock is here and not Mason. Or Shelby being higher than KI.

El_Diablo
10-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Bullock is on the list because Rivals had already ranked him as the #10 incoming freshman. When it came time to produce this list, they just took the top ten freshmen and plugged them in, apparently without really putting much extra thought into it.

El_Diablo
10-31-2010, 01:52 PM
9. JaJuan Johnson (Purdue)
8. Jared Sullinger (Ohio State)

El_Diablo
11-01-2010, 09:57 PM
7. Josh Selby

That means the top six include Singler, Pullen, Fredette, Dunn, Barnes, and _____

Other players receiving Preseason All-America votes, but not yet listed anywhere on this list:
-Jeff Allen, VT
-John Henson, UNC
-Anthony Jones, Baylor
-Marcus Morris, Kansas
-Mason Plumlee, Duke
-Isaiah Thomas, Washington

I originally guessed Thomas (possible PAC 10 Player of the Year) would be listed here somewhere, but now I think it could be Morris. Top six seems way too high for either of them, but whoever of those two gets left out entirely just got shafted.

pfrduke
11-01-2010, 10:41 PM
7. Josh Selby

That means the top six include Singler, Pullen, Fredette, Dunn, Barnes, and _____

Other players receiving Preseason All-America votes, but not yet listed anywhere on this list:
-Jeff Allen, VT
-John Henson, UNC
-Anthony Jones, Baylor
-Marcus Morris, Kansas
-Mason Plumlee, Duke
-Isaiah Thomas, Washington

I originally guessed Thomas (possible PAC 10 Player of the Year) would be listed here somewhere, but now I think it could be Morris. Top six seems way too high for either of them, but whoever of those two gets left out entirely just got shafted.

I agree it will be Morris, but leaving IT off the top 50 is ridiculous.

JasonEvans
11-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I'll predict right now that the top 6 will go--

6. Morris
5. Barnes
4. Fredette
3. Pullen
2. Dunn
1. Singler

--Jason "leaving Thomas out of your top 50 is a joke - 17 ppg last year and the pre-season Pac 10 POY... a no-brainer for the top 50" Evans

JasonEvans
11-02-2010, 08:29 AM

6. Morris
5. Barnes
4. Fredette
3. Pullen
2. Dunn
1. Singler

--Jason "leaving Thomas out of your top 50 is a joke - 17 ppg last year and the pre-season Pac 10 POY... a no-brainer for the top 50" Evans

Talk about being wrong... Dunn just came in at #6. I wonder if they will make Barnes #2 to Singler just to hype the Duke-vs-UNC thing.

-Jason "I still cannot believe Thomas is not in the top 50" Evans

superdave
11-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Talk about being wrong... Dunn just came in at #6. I wonder if they will make Barnes #2 to Singler just to hype the Duke-vs-UNC thing.

-Jason "I still cannot believe Thomas is not in the top 50" Evans

Dunn very well may have dropped because of his love life. I think sports writer do take this stuff into account.

SuperDarius Dave!

NSDukeFan
11-02-2010, 05:34 PM

6. Morris
5. Barnes
4. Fredette
3. Pullen
2. Dunn
1. Singler

I think they have to leave out some very good upperclassmen if they are going to include ELEVEN freshmen in their "production trumps potential" top 50.

JasonEvans
11-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Jimmer Fred is #5. Still no Barnes.

-Jason

MCFinARL
11-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Meanwhile, we are talking about the opinions of a source that still thinks Brian Zoubek is named "Greg."
"Last season's champ will be expected to make another long tourney run in March. The backcourt has a chance to be even better than it was last season, but the Blue Devils are going to miss 7-footer Greg Zoubek." (in today's Preseason Tournament Predictions
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1147540

timmy c
11-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Meanwhile, we are talking about the opinions of a source that still thinks Brian Zoubek is named "Greg."
"Last season's champ will be expected to make another long tourney run in March. The backcourt has a chance to be even better than it was last season, but the Blue Devils are going to miss 7-footer Greg Zoubek." (in today's Preseason Tournament Predictions
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1147540

Greg?!?! LOL

-jk
11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Many of us old timers conflate Greg Koubek with Brian Zoubek.

Hell, my mother called Clay Buckley "Jay" more often than not. Of course if you look at pictures of each of them from their playing days, you might, too.

Watch enough basketball - and get old enough - and the names start to run together. (You kids! Get off my lawn!)

-jk

Indoor66
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Many of us old timers conflate Greg Koubek with Brian Zoubek.

Hell, my mother called Clay Buckley "Jay" more often than not. Of course if you look at pictures of each of them from their playing days, you might, too.

Watch enough basketball - and get old enough - and the names start to run together. (You kids! Get off my lawn!)

-jk

I'm with you. Bah, Humbug

JasonEvans
11-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Well, we now know all of it.

They put Pullen in at #4 and Marcus Morris in at #3. That leaves Barnes and Singler. Could they actually have the stones to put Barnes at #1? I doubt it.

So, the top 15 would be.

Kyle Singler (?)
Harry Barnes (?)
Marcus Morris
Jacob Pullen
Jim Freddette
Lace Dunn
Josh Selby
Ja Sullinger
Ja Johnson
Trey Thompkins
Nolan Smith
Enis Kanter
Mal Delaney
Kyrie Irving
Jon Leuer

While some of these freshmen will deserve their ranking, I bet a decent percentage of them won't come close. Heck, last year during the pre-season they probably would have put John Henson in the top 15 or so. Ha!

-Jason "whew, Barnes is ahead of some dudes with a real impressive track record of collegiate success" Evans

Wander
11-05-2010, 09:56 AM
That leaves Barnes and Singler. Could they actually have the stones to put Barnes at #1? I doubt it.

Not to ruin the suspense but we already know the order - rivals has Singler ahead of Barnes on their small forward list.

superdave
11-05-2010, 10:20 AM
-Jason "whew, Barnes is ahead of some dudes with a real impressive track record of collegiate success" Evans

If I were building a team from scratch, I'd probably take an elite PG over Barnes.
If I had a solid major conference team (Ohio State or Va Tech or Florida), I'd probably take a low post threat over Barnes.
If I had a top 10 team that needed one more piece to compete for a title, Barnes is probably your guy.

So where does Unc fit in there and where does Barnes push them? Probably a top 25 team without him and he pushes them to a top 10 team. But I'm not sure he makes them a title contender (or deserves to be #2) unless he puts up 22,8,6,3,3,3,3,3,3 which is unlikely. He's more likely to average 16,6,3 and a ton of forced shots with the shot clock winding down while his teammates wait for him to bail them out. That's not a top 5 guy.

SCMatt33
11-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Harrison Barnes is officially number 2. I wonder who number 1 will be...

sagegrouse
11-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Harrison Barnes is officially number 2. I wonder who number 1 will be...

Ya think there is some nervousness at Rivals and Yahoo over HB's first exhibition game line: "Barnes 2-9 3-4 7?"

sagegrouse

DukieInBrasil
11-06-2010, 01:49 PM
So where does Unc fit in there and where does Barnes push them? Probably a top 25 team without him and he pushes them to a top 10 team. But I'm not sure he makes them a title contender (or deserves to be #2) unless he puts up 22,8,6,3,3,3,3,3,3 which is unlikely. He's more likely to average 16,6,3 and a ton of forced shots with the shot clock winding down while his teammates wait for him to bail them out. That's not a top 5 guy.
Well if he made most of those bail-out shots then he would be a top 5 guy. But then he would probably average more than 16ppg. I agree that a 16-6-3 performance would not make him a #2 in the country type player. A also agree with your analysis re UNC's ranking, although I'm not totally convinced that they would be a top-25 team without him, and even with him I think they would be borderline top-10, maybe between 10-15.