PDA

View Full Version : MLB Award Winners

JasonEvans
10-21-2010, 12:10 PM
We already had a lengthy discussion (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22152-Rookie-of-the-Year-Race) a few weeks back about Rookie of the Year. Well, some of the regular-season awards have been announced so I figured it was a good time to bring this back up again.

The Sporting News gives out its awards (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101020&content_id=15734944&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb) based on voting by baseball players, coaches, and managers. It is the "peer" award as opposed to the official MLB awards that are given out following voting by journalists. I am not sure which should be considered more legit.

Anyway, as for the hotly contested Rookie of the Year award, Jason Heyward of the Braves won it in the NL while Austin Jackson of the tigers was the AL winner. Among the other winners--

Player of the Year -Josh Hamilton
AL Pitcher of the Year - Felix
NL Pitcher of the Year - Doc Haaliday
AL Manager- Ron Gardenhire
NL Manager - Bud Black
AL Comeback Player- Vlad
NL comeback Player - Tim Hudson

--Jason " as we get more official awards, we can compile them here" Evans

Duvall
10-21-2010, 12:17 PM
The MLB Comeback Player of the Year Awards have already been won by Francisco Liriano and Tim Hudson (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20101005&content_id=15424908&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb).

Duvall
11-09-2010, 04:17 PM
AL Gold Gloves announced (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101109&content_id=16041500&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb).

Blue in the Face
11-09-2010, 04:32 PM
AL Gold Gloves announced (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101109&content_id=16041500&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb).
Tex is certainly a fine glove man, but it's a little surprising that Rafael Palmeiro didn't snag another one.

Duvall
11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Tex is certainly a fine glove man, but it's a little surprising that Rafael Palmeiro didn't snag another one.

Neyer (http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/6238/gold-glove-results-mixed-as-usual).

Olympic Fan
11-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I have to say that as a Yankee fan and a Derek Jeter admirer, I think it's ridiculous that he keeps winning gold gloves for his defense at short.

But at the same time, it's always a delight to see the outrage that the annual GG vote creates among the Yankee haters -- especially ex-Red Sox executive Rob Neyer. It's telling that he "doesn't get" Mark Texeira at first, even though Bill James -- the guru of the modern sabremeticians -- rates Tex as the best defensive first baseman in baseball.

But beyond the Yankee love and Yankee hate, I think the vote -- by the managers, remember, not the media -- offers an interesting window on our baseball knowledge.

Jeter does not make errors -- he usually has the best fielding percentage among AL shortstops (and did again this year). He also turns double players at an exceptional rate for shortstops (he's been first or second in expected DPs for the last few years).

Against that, his range factors are among the lowest in baseball. He doesn't get to as many balls as the average major league shortstop -- but the balls he gets to, he handles correctly.

It's pretty obvious that the managers value his dependabilitly over the range of his competitors. Are they right?

I honestly don't know. I've seen the modern fielding stats and I know there are some serious sabremeticians (including Neyer) who have raised questions about the value and accuracy of such metrics as RZR, +/- and the even more complicated stuff (OOZ and the like).

I believe I'm open to new stats -- I believe the superior value of OBP and OPS have been amply confirmed as directly related to runs scored. I'm not sure any of the new defensive stats have that kind of confirmation.

To get back to Jeter, I agree that some Yankee fans deify the guy and can't understand his defensive limitations. But there are an equal number -- even more -- Yankee haters who demonize the guy and don't understand his defensive strengths.

He's NOT a great defensive shortstop. But he's not as bad as the haters would have you believe. Until we understand the proper relationship between range (where he's bad), double-play rate (where he's excellent) and fielding percentage (where he is the best) we can't say exactly where Jeter rates on the defensive scale.

I think the gold glove vote shows that the majority of AL managers value what he does in the field ... that doesn't mean they are right, but it should give us pause before we dismiss their collective opinion.

I guess the other thing is that Jeter keeps winning the award because there isn't a really clear alternative. Okay, I do think Rameriz and Andrus are probably better defensively, but it's not like either of those guys is another Ozzie Smith.

rasputin
11-09-2010, 05:50 PM
I have to say that as a Yankee fan and a Derek Jeter admirer, I think it's ridiculous that he keeps winning gold gloves for his defense at short.

But at the same time, it's always a delight to see the outrage that the annual GG vote creates among the Yankee haters -- especially ex-Red Sox executive Rob Neyer. It's telling that he "doesn't get" Mark Texeira at first, even though Bill James -- the guru of the modern sabremeticians -- rates Tex as the best defensive first baseman in baseball.

But beyond the Yankee love and Yankee hate, I think the vote -- by the managers, remember, not the media -- offers an interesting window on our baseball knowledge.

Jeter does not make errors -- he usually has the best fielding percentage among AL shortstops (and did again this year). He also turns double players at an exceptional rate for shortstops (he's been first or second in expected DPs for the last few years).

Against that, his range factors are among the lowest in baseball. He doesn't get to as many balls as the average major league shortstop -- but the balls he gets to, he handles correctly.

It's pretty obvious that the managers value his dependabilitly over the range of his competitors. Are they right?

I honestly don't know. I've seen the modern fielding stats and I know there are some serious sabremeticians (including Neyer) who have raised questions about the value and accuracy of such metrics as RZR, +/- and the even more complicated stuff (OOZ and the like).

I believe I'm open to new stats -- I believe the superior value of OBP and OPS have been amply confirmed as directly related to runs scored. I'm not sure any of the new defensive stats have that kind of confirmation.

To get back to Jeter, I agree that some Yankee fans deify the guy and can't understand his defensive limitations. But there are an equal number -- even more -- Yankee haters who demonize the guy and don't understand his defensive strengths.

He's NOT a great defensive shortstop. But he's not as bad as the haters would have you believe. Until we understand the proper relationship between range (where he's bad), double-play rate (where he's excellent) and fielding percentage (where he is the best) we can't say exactly where Jeter rates on the defensive scale.

I think the gold glove vote shows that the majority of AL managers value what he does in the field ... that doesn't mean they are right, but it should give us pause before we dismiss their collective opinion.

I guess the other thing is that Jeter keeps winning the award because there isn't a really clear alternative. Okay, I do think Rameriz and Andrus are probably better defensively, but it's not like either of those guys is another Ozzie Smith.

I also don't understand Neyer's begrudging Tex's GG. The guy is phenomenal defensively. He has tremendous range, especially on foul popups. He has a good arm and great instincts.

Neyer was a little less begrudging of Cano's GG, which was obviously also deserved.

Duvall
11-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Maybe. It could also mean that the AL managers spend about as much time thinking about the Gold Gloves as college coaches put into the weekly coaches polls.

What would another player have to do to establish himself as a clear alternative? Ramirez and Andrus easily pass the eye test (yeah, I know).

ncexnyc
11-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Maybe it's those Broadway tickets Jeter sends out every Christmas.:D

Blue in the Face
11-09-2010, 07:00 PM
What would another player have to do to establish himself as a clear alternative?
Well, they could be simply too superb to overlook, like Ozzie Smith, or more recently, Omar Vizquel. I agree with you that Ramirez and Andrus would be both more deserving choices, but neither of them is wondrous defenders like those guys were. Absent that, they could become as famous as Derek Jeter.

JasonEvans
11-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Buster Posey just won ROY over Jason Heyward.

Rangers closer Neftali Feliz won it in the AL.

--Jason "news just in!!" Evans

tommy
11-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Maybe this has been discussed previously in other threads, but does anyone have a bit of a "who cares now" kind of feeling about baseball's awards, especially those other than MVP and Cy, given how they're announced long after the season is over? I just feel like I've moved on from baseball for this year, great as it was. It's mid-football season, basketball has started, and I just can't get worked up about baseball awards when it's been over for several weeks already. I know basketball announces its awards during the playoffs, when fan excitement is at its highest, and I think football does too. Seems like another thing that baseball (read: Bud Selig) does or doesn't do that seem like such obvious missed opportunities to make moves to stimulate fan interest. Or is it just me?

Blue in the Face
11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Halladay takes the NL CYA, unanimously. Adam Wainwright is a near-unanimous choice for 2nd place, and Ubaldo Jimenez finished 3rd.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101116&content_id=16110568&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

rasputin
11-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Halladay takes the NL CYA, unanimously. Adam Wainwright is a near-unanimous choice for 2nd place, and Ubaldo Jimenez finished 3rd.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101116&content_id=16110568&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Well, they got this one right. The AL CYA won't be so easy.

ncexnyc
11-18-2010, 02:26 PM
It appears a number of you have gotten your wish. King Felix is the AL Cy Young winner.

Blue in the Face
11-18-2010, 02:28 PM
It appears a number of you have gotten your wish. King Felix is the AL Cy Young winner.
I'm surprised, but pleased. I think it's well deserved.

Olympic Fan
11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm a Yankee fan who thinks King Felix deserved it.

I'm not bothered by his low win total. When you look at his ERA and his innings pitched, it's obvious that his win total is a function of Seattle's lack of offensive firepower.

pfrduke
11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm a Yankee fan who thinks King Felix deserved it.

I'm not bothered by his low win total. When you look at his ERA and his innings pitched, it's obvious that his win total is a function of Seattle's lack of offensive firepower.

I saw an article today that mentioned that in the 12 losses on Felix's ledger, the Mariners scored a grand total of seven runs while Felix was in the game. Seven. Total. In 12 games.

YmoBeThere
11-20-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm going with Votto for the NL award. But then I moved to Cincinnati and became a Reds season ticket holder this year.

ncexnyc
11-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm going with Votto for the NL award. But then I moved to Cincinnati and became a Reds season ticket holder this year.
Looks like the sportswriters agreed with you and by a fairly wide margin.

YmoBeThere
11-22-2010, 07:14 PM
I was a bit surprised by the margin...with Pujols only getting one first place vote. And that from a St. Louis sportswriter.

theAlaskanBear
11-23-2010, 11:45 AM
I was a bit surprised by the margin...with Pujols only getting one first place vote. And that from a St. Louis sportswriter.

Pujols has performed so magnificently over the last 10 years that imho he is largely competing with himself. If he performs slightly below his normal standards, then he will not get the votes, even if he is better than the competition. I think Pujols was also punished for the disappointing season of his team.

If you look at the stats, Votto only leads Pujols by .010 in BA -- which factors in and gives him a .010 lead in OBP and a .013 lead in OPS (there is also a negligible .004 difference in SLG).

But if you look at the actual production numbers (hits, doubles, HRs, runs, RBI, walks) Pujols leads them ALL, except Votto leads by 1 triple (2-1) and 2 stolen bases (16-14). Pujols has a 22 base lead in Total Bases, and struck out 50 fewer times (76-125).

Pujols led the league in RBI, HRs, runs, despite being walked intentionally 38 times -- 30 times more than Votto -- in RBI situations.

Pujols also beats out Votto in WAR by a full point, oWAR, dWAR -- really just about any statistical measure you want to use. Votto only leads in AVG, OBP, and OPS -- which are all derivative of each other and thus over-inflate a slight lead in AVG (think about the magnifying effects of financial derivatives here).

It is really a no brainer that Pujols deserves the award, but then again I gave up on sportswriters a long time ago. What do you all think?

theAlaskanBear
11-23-2010, 11:46 AM

But can you back that up with stats?

JasonEvans
11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
The way I see it, Votto and Pujols stats were fairly close. Votto leads in category X, Pujols leads in category Y. There is no stat I saw where one guy truly dominated the other.

So, it was close enough so that two factors came into play--

1) Performance relative to expectations - we can all agree that this was a great season for Pujols, but certainly not his best year. We have come to expect the remarkable from him and it makes his merely great seasons seem less inspiring as a result. OTOH, this was clearly Votto's best season in the bigs. He greatly improved his power-category numbers and blossomed into one of the most feared hitters in the league. The "newness" of Votto makes him more of a story and a more attractive vote.

2) Performance of the teams - The Reds won their division by a pretty comfortable margin over the Cards. The Cards, who had somewhat owned the Central Division for a while, finally fell short of the playoffs.

So, the new guy who had a career year on a team that won the division beat out the old guy who had a so-so year (for him) on a team that did worse than expected and missed the playoffs.

--Jason "Not a tough choice, if you ask me -- I'd have voted for Votto" Evans

Duvall
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Josh Hamilton wins AL MVP (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101123&content_id=16182426&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb).