PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Conference Rankings

Jderf
10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I was thinking that I'd like to see a little discussion on how the different conferences stack up against each other going into the season. We all keep hearing that the ACC is "down" in recent years, even though the non-subjective computer rankings continue to rank the ACC highly (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc0910.htm). How do people think the conferences compare this year? I would put us second behind the Big 10, but I have to admit that my opinion is not particularly well-formed.

ACCBBallFan
10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
I was thinking that I'd like to see a little discussion on how the different conferences stack up against each other going into the season. We all keep hearing that the ACC is "down" in recent years, even though the non-subjective computer rankings continue to rank the ACC highly (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc0910.htm). How do people think the conferences compare this year? I would put us second behind the Big 10, but I have to admit that my opinion is not particularly well-formed.

This year ACC lags behind B10, B12 and BE with respect to sweet 16 teams Duke the only really good team.

As far as top 32 teams, ACC is right there with other conferneces

6 - ACC: Duke - VA T - UNC - NC State - FSU - MD

5 - B10: Mich St - Ohio St - Purude - Illinois - Wisc

5 - B12: K-state - KU - Baylor - MO and TX

6 - BE: Pitt - Nova - Syr - Gtown-W VA and Louisv but 16 teams so expect more

3 - SEC: Uk - FL - TN so less good teams in SEC, maybe GA

1 - P10: Wash lone ranger again in P10

Others: Butler - Memphis - Zaga - Xav - Temple - BYU and San Diego St

Class of '94
10-21-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm biased towards the ACC; and I find it interesting that the years in which Duke is projected to be very dominant, the ACC happens to be "down". I don't buy it. I think the ACC is going to be strong this year based on talent from top to bottom and the number of good returning players. I think the Pac 10 and Big East will be down although the Big East will still have an argument for at least 6-7 teams to make the NCAA tournament based on the sheer number of teams in that league. I do think the SEC will be deeper and better this year in terms of the number of quality teams. Saying that, I agree with you that the ACC at this point is No. 2 behind the Big Ten. And I look forward to the Big 10-ACC Challenge this year because I think the ACC can win the challenge and make a strong case for being the top conference in the country.