PDA

View Full Version : ACC pre-season polls (aka: ooops, did I vote for UNC?)

CameronBornAndBred
10-20-2010, 04:42 PM
How shocking! We are the choice of the media to win the ACC.

Here's their prediction for end of year finish.
season.
1. Duke
2. VT
3. UNC
4. N.C. Sate
5. Florida State
6. Maryland
7. Clemson
8. Miami
9. Georgia Tech
10. Boston College
11. Virginia
12. Wake Forest

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/story/8484214/

It was not unanimous for us, I'd love to know who the one dissenting voter was.

watzone
10-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Singler unanimous 1st team choice, Nolan on team as well. Singler POY - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/duke-picked-to-finish-first-singler-smith-first-team-all-acc-singler-poy/

watzone
10-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Nolan Smith audio from ACC Op BB - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/acc-operation-basketball-nolan-smith-talks-of-the-upcoming-season/

watzone
10-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Coach K from ACC Operation BB. Maybe a mod should change the title to ACC Op BB for many posts to come - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/acc-operation-basketball-coach-k-audio-part-1-of-5/

I asked K about twitter and he had a lot to say and basically trusts his players. That will come shortly.

rhcpflea99
10-20-2010, 06:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5708368

61 of a possible 62 first-place votes. Who didn't vote for Duke?

SuperTurkey
10-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Does that turncoat Bilas have a vote⸮ ;)

Bluedog
10-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Does that turncoat Bilas have a vote⸮ ;)

He chose Duke to win the ACC, I believe. Although he chose MSU to cut down the nets in April...

Duvall
10-20-2010, 06:23 PM

Chris Miles (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/vote-for-unc-an-honest-mistake-broadcaster-says), TV reporter out of Virginia. He says it was a mistake.

SuperTurkey
10-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Chris Miles (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/vote-for-unc-an-honest-mistake-broadcaster-says), TV reporter out of Virginia. He says it was a mistake.

I love the start of a season where a guy apologizes for accidentally voting UNC #1 in the conference. :D

Jderf
10-20-2010, 06:46 PM

I love the start of a season where a guy apologizes for accidentally voting UNC #1 in the conference. :D
Wow. That is just -- well, it's way too funny. I can only imagine what Chris Miles was thinking when the results of the poll first came out: "What crazy hack voted for anybody other than Duke?" ... only to find out later that it was him.

Greg_Newton
10-20-2010, 08:24 PM
It was not unanimous for us, I'd love to know who the one dissenting voter was.

Vote for UNC "an honest mistake", broadcaster says (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/20/1775595/vote-for-unc-an-honest-mistake.html)

...the media member who cast the only vote for UNC was Chris Miles, a broadcaster from WDBJ in Roanoke. He attended Fairfield University. He said Wednesday that he meant to vote Duke No. 1 and Carolina No. 2, and didn’t realize his error until after the poll was released.

“It was an honest mistake,” Miles said.

There's also this subtle dig from Roy...

"They had to be a North Carolina graduate that hates Duke – that’s all I can tell you,’’ Tar Heels coach Roy Williams said, joking at the poll results. “I’m always pulling for the American against the guy from a foreign country, regardless of who it is – that had to be that situation, there."

Those foreign Dukies invading NC, as always... :rolleyes:

jimsumner
10-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Wow. That is just -- well, it's way too funny. I can only imagine what Chris Miles was thinking when the results of the poll first came out: "What crazy hack voted for anybody other than Duke?" ... only to find out later that it was him.

I'm not sure how one makes this mistake. You actually have to write in the name of each team in vertical slots numbered 1 through 12. You've really got to be not paying attention here.

dukeballboy88
10-20-2010, 11:50 PM
We should have a pickem contest on here just for fun. Tack it and look back at the end of the year to see who won!

1. Duke
2. VA Tech
3. Florida St.
4. Miami
5. UNC
6. State
7. Maryland
8. Wake
9. BC
10. Clemson
11. GA Tech
12. Virginia

oldnavy
10-21-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure how one makes this mistake. You actually have to write in the name of each team in vertical slots numbered 1 through 12. You've really got to be not paying attention here.

Or... and this is my evil cynical side coming out... he meant to vote for UNC expecting some others to join him, then when the poll came out and he saw he was the lone wolf, he had to come up with a cover story to save face???

nocilla
10-21-2010, 10:01 AM
We should have a pickem contest on here just for fun. Tack it and look back at the end of the year to see who won!

1. Duke
2. VA Tech
3. Florida St.
4. Miami
5. UNC
6. State
7. Maryland
8. Wake
9. BC
10. Clemson
11. GA Tech
12. Virginia

1. Duke
2. VA Tech
3. NCSU
4. Miami
5. FSU
6. UNC
7. Maryland
8. Clemson
9. BC
10. UVA
11. Wake
12. GT

theAlaskanBear
10-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Is the rest of the ACC really so bad that unc-ch is third? I am going to be a skeptic until I see something other than NIT runner-up.

northernduke
10-21-2010, 10:16 AM
If I remember correctly, a journalist was chided into re-casting his vote for ACC POY to make Hansbrough the unanimous selection....

Does Ole Roy support justice?

Jderf
10-21-2010, 10:19 AM
If I remember correctly, a journalist was chided into re-casting his vote for ACC POY to make Hansbrough the unanimous selection....

Does Ole Roy support justice?

Really? I never heard about that. I'm curious; who did the journalist picked instead?

Duvall
10-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Really? I never heard about that. I'm curious; who did the journalist picked instead?

It was a little different (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/03/the_nonunanimous_unanimous_cho.html) - one of the beat writers chose not to include Hansbrough on the All-ACC first team in 2007, and the ACC decided to consider Hansbrough a unanimous selection anyway.

Duvall
10-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Is the rest of the ACC really so bad that unc-ch is third? I am going to be a skeptic until I see something other than NIT runner-up.

1) Yes; and
2) UNC will have future NBA players at four spots in the starting lineup this year. The list of other ACC teams that can make that claim starts and ends with Duke.

noyac
10-21-2010, 10:47 AM
“Duke is on a completely different level that any of us (in the ACC) or anyone in the country. They are a little scary,” --Roy Williams

This has to be the best quote I have read in a long time.

devildeac
10-21-2010, 11:18 AM
“Duke is on a completely different level that any of us (in the ACC) or anyone in the country. They are a little scary,” --Roy Williams

This has to be the best quote I have read in a long time.

Or ol' Roy trying to blow smoke up our trousers?

northernduke
10-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Or ol' Roy trying to blow smoke up our trousers?

Managing expectations....don't believe it to be a genuine statement about our talent one bit.

davekay1971
10-21-2010, 12:19 PM

Probably a hanging chad...

NSDukeFan
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Managing expectations....don't believe it to be a genuine statement about our talent one bit.

I agree that it is about managing expectations. I believe he does mean it to be a statement about Duke's talent, but I also expect he feels his team has the talent to match. (I think they do have the talent to match, but not the experience, and the experience of having a successful ACC team.)

Class of '94
10-21-2010, 12:47 PM
1) Yes; and
2) UNC will have future NBA players at four spots in the starting lineup this year. The list of other ACC teams that can make that claim starts and ends with Duke.

Outside of Hensen, Zeller (who has potential but I think needs to show durability before being a lock for the NBA) and Barnes, who is the other starting member of UNC's squad that you think will be a future NBA player? Drew, Strickland or Bullock (if he starts)?

Duvall
10-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Outside of Hensen, Zeller (who has potential but I think needs to show durability before being a lock for the NBA) and Barnes, who is the other starting member of UNC's squad that you think will be a future NBA player? Drew, Strickland or Bullock (if he starts)?

Bullock, based on his size and reported shooting skill. And he pretty much has to start - who else is there for UNC?

Slackerb
10-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Why would State not have 4 NBA players?

Leslie and Smith are a lock. Brown is equivalent to Bullock and likely will be NBA material.
I could make an argument for Harrow and against Zeller.

Bullock, based on his size and reported shooting skill. And he pretty much has to start - who else is there for UNC?

NSDukeFan
10-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Leslie and Smith are a lock. Brown is equivalent to Bullock and likely will be NBA material.

Do you mean a lock like the runner-up ACC POY last year, who is not yet on a roster? Reggie Bullock is the 15th rated recruit coming into college, Brown the 56th. I am not sure they are equivalent. You could make an argument for Harrow against Zeller, but I think it is easier at this point (since Zeller has been an almost double digit scorer in the ACC and is 7 feet tall) to argue that Zeller is a more likely pro than Harrow. I don't disagree that State could have 4 NBA players, but it is much easier said than done.

Duvall
10-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Size, size, size.

Zeller is a mobile 7-footer - he *will* be in the NBA, it's only a question of how good he'll be. Harrow is a 6'0" point guard - and that's a program height. He should be a very good college player, but his NBA future remains to be seen. It wouldn't shock me if Brown turned out to be as good as Bullock, but Bullock is taller and more highly rated.

JasonEvans
10-21-2010, 05:07 PM

Leslie and Smith are a lock.

CJ Leslie-- yup
Tracy Smith -- I am not so sure.

Smith is a back-to-the-basket post player. He has never attempted a 3-pointer in his career and I do not recall him facing up a lot and draining 15-foot jumpers in anyone's face when I have seen him play. He has very good hands, but is not super mobile or quick...

...and he only stands 6-8. What position do you see him playing in the NBA? There are not a lot of 6-8 PFs in the NBA without very strong perimeter skills and a lot of quickness/athleticism.

Make no mistake, I love Tracy Smith's game at the college level. If I had a vote, he would be on my All-ACC pre-season 1st team. I expect him to be a major part of State's resurgence and return to the NCAA tournament this season.

But I don't see him earning an NBA paycheck unless his game greatly expands beyond what we have seen in the past.

-Jason "IIRC, smith does not have freakishly long arms either-- at 6-8, you gotta have loooong arms to play PF in the NBA -- just ask Shelden" Evans

jimsumner
10-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Do you mean a lock like the runner-up ACC POY last year, who is not yet on a roster? Reggie Bullock is the 15th rated recruit coming into college, Brown the 56th. I am not sure they are equivalent. You could make an argument for Harrow against Zeller, but I think it is easier at this point (since Zeller has been an almost double digit scorer in the ACC and is 7 feet tall) to argue that Zeller is a more likely pro than Harrow. I don't disagree that State could have 4 NBA players, but it is much easier said than done.

Lorenzo Brown is actually much more highly regarded than 56. He was ranked 26th in his class when he graduated from high school in 2009. But he didn't qualify for State and had to go to a prep school for a 5th year. Not all of the recruiting services used by RSCI rank 5th-year players, hence Brown's absence from some services and his relatively low and very inaccurate ranking.

jimsumner
10-21-2010, 06:18 PM
CJ Leslie-- yup
Tracy Smith -- I am not so sure.

Smith is a back-to-the-basket post player. He has never attempted a 3-pointer in his career and I do not recall him facing up a lot and draining 15-foot jumpers in anyone's face when I have seen him play. He has very good hands, but is not super mobile or quick...

...and he only stands 6-8. What position do you see him playing in the NBA? There are not a lot of 6-8 PFs in the NBA without very strong perimeter skills and a lot of quickness/athleticism.

Make no mistake, I love Tracy Smith's game at the college level. If I had a vote, he would be on my All-ACC pre-season 1st team. I expect him to be a major part of State's resurgence and return to the NCAA tournament this season.

But I don't see him earning an NBA paycheck unless his game greatly expands beyond what we have seen in the past.

-Jason "IIRC, smith does not have freakishly long arms either-- at 6-8, you gotta have loooong arms to play PF in the NBA -- just ask Shelden" Evans

This is one of the intriguing questions in the ACC this season. Lowe has promised Smith a chance to start at the 4. The official word is that Painter and Vandenberg will split time at the 5 and that Smith has worked all summer to improve his ball handling and expand his shooting range.

What will happen when Painter struggles, while Leslie and Wood are playing much better? Can Lowe resist the temptation to move Smith back inside and go with a Smith-Leslie-Wood starting front court? We shall see.

WiJoe
10-21-2010, 08:45 PM
The unwise fellow who made a mistake and voted for nc should have his vote taken away. There is NO excuse for that kind of error.

ACCBBallFan
10-22-2010, 12:07 AM
This is one of the intriguing questions in the ACC this season. Lowe has promised Smith a chance to start at the 4. The official word is that Painter and Vandenberg will split time at the 5 and that Smith has worked all summer to improve his ball handling and expand his shooting range.

What will happen when Painter struggles, while Leslie and Wood are playing much better? Can Lowe resist the temptation to move Smith back inside and go with a Smith-Leslie-Wood starting front court? We shall see.

Saw a post from I believe the name was WolfPacker05 who said Richard Howell would start at the 5. So in that case, just Howell who weighed 266 last year but lost some weight and Tracy switching roles.

Makes a lot more sense than gambling on Painter or Vandenberg who have not shown much yet.

Still some decision to make Scott Wood or C J Leslie, and Javi Gonzalez or Ryan Harrow though all will play a lot.

Slackerb
10-22-2010, 09:01 AM
1) Yes; and

All I was saying is that this statement seemed very presumptious and arrogant...NC State can definitely at least make the claim to have 4 future NBA players starting.

I agree that Tracy Smith isn't your prototypical NBA body, but when was the last time a 1st team All-ACC player didn't make it to the NBA at all? I could see Smith as a Carlos Boozer type player....which I know around here it is practically blasphemy to compare to former greats, but he's at least similar.

NSDukeFan
10-22-2010, 09:17 AM
All I was saying is that this statement seemed very presumptious and arrogant...NC State can definitely at least make the claim to have 4 future NBA players starting.

I agree that Tracy Smith isn't your prototypical NBA body, but when was the last time a 1st team All-ACC player didn't make it to the NBA at all? I could see Smith as a Carlos Boozer type player....which I know around here it is practically blasphemy to compare to former greats, but he's at least similar.

Hopefully, it won't be this year, but otherwise last year, with Jack McClinton, 2 years ago, Zabian Dowdell, before that Tim Pickett and Justin Gray 2004?

JasonEvans
10-22-2010, 09:23 AM
when was the last time a 1st team All-ACC player didn't make it to the NBA at all?

I'd like to introduce you to a player named Jon Scheyer.

In 2009, Jack McClinton made All-ACC first team but did not make it to the NBA. It is not as uncommon as you might think.

--Jason "unless his game is radically different and improved from what we saw last season, Tracy Smith is not making the NBA" Evans

ACCBBallFan
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
@D1scourse: Preseason vs. reality: ACC basketball http://bit.ly/bt39xN

According to this article, FSU is historically undervalued by ACC media.

If one were to make all the adjustments history indicates:

1. VA Tech (2-1.6=0.4)

2. Duke (1+1=2)

3. FSU (5-2.5=2.5)

4. UNC (3+1=4)

5. MD (6-1=5)

6. NC State (4+1.2=5.2)

7. Clemson (7+0=7)

8. Miami (8+0.3=8.3)

9. UVA (11-1.5=9.5)

10. BC (10-0.4=9.6)

11. GA Tech (9+2.4=11.4)

12. Wake (12+1.1=13.1)

jimsumner
10-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Saw a post from I believe the name was WolfPacker05 who said Richard Howell would start at the 5. So in that case, just Howell who weighed 266 last year but lost some weight and Tracy switching roles.

Makes a lot more sense than gambling on Painter or Vandenberg who have not shown much yet.

Still some decision to make Scott Wood or C J Leslie, and Javi Gonzalez or Ryan Harrow though all will play a lot.

Starting Howell at the 5 makes more sense to me than starting Painter.

But Sidney Lowe told me Wednesday that Painter and Vandenberg were State's centers.

I'm inclined to believe him over Wolfpacker 05.

jimsumner
10-22-2010, 12:47 PM
I'd like to introduce you to a player named Jon Scheyer.

In 2009, Jack McClinton made All-ACC first team but did not make it to the NBA. It is not as uncommon as you might think.

--Jason "unless his game is radically different and improved from what we saw last season, Tracy Smith is not making the NBA" Evans

There have been ACC Players of the Year who never played in the NBA. Chris Carrawell, for example.