PDA

View Full Version : Coach K on Sportscenter this morning

arydolphin
10-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Sportscenter just had a live interview with Roy Williams prior to 10 AM Eastern from Operation Basketball, and mentioned after it that they would have Coach K on for a live interview "this hour", which would be prior to 11 AM. I don't know the exact time yet, but if you're around a TV, just turn Sportscenter on and wait for it.

JasonEvans
10-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Sportscenter just had a live interview with Roy Williams prior to 10 AM Eastern from Operation Basketball, and mentioned after it that they would have Coach K on for a live interview "this hour", which would be prior to 11 AM. I don't know the exact time yet, but if you're around a TV, just turn Sportscenter on and wait for it.

Colin Cowherd just teased a short time ago that he would have K on his radio show a short time ago. I got out of my car and could not listen, but if someone else did I'd be interested in hearing a summary.

-Jason "I actually think Colin asks good questions" Evans

SCMatt33
10-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Live Right Now on ESPN.

Bluedevil114
10-20-2010, 11:09 AM
It is so great to be a Duke fan listening to such a class "A" head coach. Gold medals and National Championships. He is unbelievable and it really seems like he has his old swag back. He had some tough years prior to coaching the USA Team. Remember when they said that would hurt our Duke team and our recruiting efforts. It is incredible to believe but that experience actually made him a better basketball coach.

gumbomoop
10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
FWIW, K made the following comments/references in his 6-7-minute interview:

1. referred to Plumlees [plural] as starters.....
2. ...... but also made short comment about Seth as maybe starting some
3. referred to Kyle as playing perimeter
4. did not back off at all in his praise of Kyrie, said he's a special talent, and repeated a comment I've seen quoted somewhere that he doesn't intend to overcoach Kyrie, needs to let him do his thing

For those of you with access to ESPNU [and time on your hands], the U is live this afternoon from 1-4 with something called "College Basketball Media Days."

DevilHorns
10-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Anybody have a synopsis of the interview? Any insights into this coming season?

So far what I've collected in listening to K talk to media outlets the last few weeks:

1) Curry with be our 6th man off the bench, he's our best 3 point shooter with the best range.
2) Expect Miles and Mason to come into this season as starters much improved from last year.
3) Kyle has put on significant weight but has not lost agility and explosiveness. He should reach yet another level vs his competitors, much of which is secondary to the exposure he had against the USA team during the summer.
4) Ryan Kelly has put on significant weight and should be able to guard bigger bodies on defense.
5) Nolan should have a more substantial role this year on offense, and should reach another level vs his competitors, similarly secondary to the exposure he had against the USA team.

Edit: thanks gumbomoop, anyone else with any more details?

SCMatt33
10-20-2010, 12:42 PM
ESPN also did an online chat with the ACC coaches this morning. Nothing earth shattering, but Seth Greenberg, when asked about the toughest places to play (other than Duke and UNC), cited NC State because of the student section directly behind the bench, and Maryland, because "Maryland has, shall I say the most interesting fans in the league." That's one way to put it.

Also, there will be a players chat at 1:20 (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/35073/acc-hoops-media-day), with Kyle chatting at about 1:50.

AlaskanAssassin
10-20-2010, 01:01 PM
The Sportscenter interview is now online: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5706635&categoryid=2459792

Duke: A Dynasty
10-20-2010, 03:22 PM
FWIW, K made the following comments/references in his 6-7-minute interview:

1. referred to Plumlees [plural] as starters.....
2. ...... but also made short comment about Seth as maybe starting some3. referred to Kyle as playing perimeter
4. did not back off at all in his praise of Kyrie, said he's a special talent, and repeated a comment I've seen quoted somewhere that he doesn't intend to overcoach Kyrie, needs to let him do his thing

For those of you with access to ESPNU [and time on your hands], the U is live this afternoon from 1-4 with something called "College Basketball Media Days."

Does this imply that we may use a 3 guard lineup with Singler and MP 1 or 2 starting as the bigs?

oldnavy
10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Does this imply that we may use a 3 guard lineup with Singler and MP 1 or 2 starting as the bigs?

Or bringing Kyrie off the bench... and having Nolan or Seth run the point some...

Duke: A Dynasty
10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Or bringing Kyrie off the bench... and having Nolan or Seth run the point some...

Or KI and Seth with Nolan off the bench

Jderf
10-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Or KI and Seth with Nolan off the bench

Possible, but as has been pointed out before, incredibly unlikely. Nolan is a senior, a leader, and widely considered to be a lock for All-ACC and potentially even All-American. He will start.

uh_no
10-20-2010, 04:02 PM

:P

i think that makes sense based on the evidence

Greg_Newton
10-20-2010, 05:45 PM
...2) Expect Miles and Mason to come into this season as starters much improved from last year...

Thanks Gumbo.

The other stuff is nice to hear, but honestly, this is the one area I really care about right now. Reason being we really don't have any question marks besides the Plumlees, in my mind.

Kyle and Nolan are essentially NBA rookies playing college ball, Kyrie will be one of the best offensive players in the country and good for a couple steals (and probably a couple of lapses on D) per game - of that I have little to no doubt.

Seth will be an ACC-starter-quality combo guard off the bench that will have a few five/six three-pointer games, and possibly a better on-ball defender than we expect. Ryan will be solid on D and the boards and occaisonally exciting on the offensive end, but consistently a facilitator - of that I am also fairly confident.

Andre will be good for some sporadic 3-point spurts off the bench, a good finisher on the break, and probably a few clutch shots when we really need them. I'm not expecting any quantum leap, I just expect him to be a little more consistent than last year and to benefit from a faster pace.

I'm also pretty confident that Tyler and Josh will be solid role players off the bench when needed - not spectacular at any one thing, but good, smart players that won't hurt the team. Thornton in particular should be a Nored-like physical defender when he's in.

And then there's the Plumlees. Their ceiling? Best frontcourt in the country. I mean, I feel confident in saying that they have a better mix of size and athleticism than any other 4/5 combo, ESPN (or SI?) recently rated Duke as the 2nd best frontcourt in the country, and K seems hopeful/excited that they'll make "the jump" this year. However, they didn't really look any different in the scrimmage (although Mason gained some serious upper body strength), and they have yet to prove they can be consistently competent on either end of the floor.

That's a pretty enormous gray area between their floor and ceiling, and I'm really hoping K can make a big difference with them this year as he makes them a big focus of his coaching.

OldPhiKap
10-20-2010, 06:02 PM
^^ Anyone know their +/- from last year?

uh_no
10-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks Gumbo.

Seth will be an ACC-starter-quality combo guard off the bench that will have a few five/six three-pointer games, and possibly a better on-ball defender than we expect.

I think people are underestimating how good this kid is....if he's anything like his brother (which most reports seem to indicate, and his freshman numbers seem to corroborate) then he likely has the potential to be a national star....unfortunately, he comes to a team with two of the best players in the country and the #1 pg in front of him in the depth chart.....i'm calling it now that 12-15 points is the norm rather the exception for spicy curry

RoyalBlue08
10-21-2010, 11:30 AM
ESPN also did an online chat with the ACC coaches this morning. Nothing earth shattering, but Seth Greenberg, when asked about the toughest places to play (other than Duke and UNC), cited NC State because of the student section directly behind the bench, and Maryland, because "Maryland has, shall I say the most interesting fans in the league." That's one way to put it.

Also, there will be a players chat at 1:20 (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/35073/acc-hoops-media-day), with Kyle chatting at about 1:50.

I'm not sure that people living in glass houses filled with obscene fans should be throwing stones!

-bdbd
10-21-2010, 11:34 AM

YES. There was a string several months back - May timeframe - that was about projecting the '10-'11 starting line-ups. Most were projecting MP1 and MP2 as starters, along with KS, NS and KI. Some of us, however, were projecting many scenarios, especially when facing an opponent without an especially big "3" player, where we'd start 3 guards. K has never been big on being locked into status-quo "positions." And two big factors argue for 3-guard line-ups: (1) Need to protect our somewhat thin frontcourt. MP1 and MP2 weren't averaging more than 25 minutes a game, at least partially due to frequent foul issues (as well as playing behind a couple guys named Thomas and Zoubek). Can they play less-foul-prone this year? And the depth behind them up front this year is a little unproven. So K might want to show a lot of minutes on the floor in some games with only two "bigs." (2) Just bassed on out-of-HS rankings (and other metrics) our "most talented" 5 players would almost certainly include 3 guards. Not to say that is definitively the best TEAM we could muster, but if you commit to playing THE FIVE BEST PLAYERS then you probably go small.

I am certain that we will see many minutes this season with three guards on the floor, and frankly can see a few scenarios even with FOUR on the floor, depending on match-ups. The obvious 3-G combination then might be KI, NS, SC, KS and MP2 (or MP1). One of the big questions going into the season, in my mind, is seeing if one or more of the guards can defend against bigger 3's.

Last thought, even if there is a (3-G line-up) size disadvantage at the "3" while we are on D, please remember that there are also match-up disadvantages for the opponents when we play three guards, as well. (Will be interesting seing bigger, heavier 6'7" SF-types trying to guard Curry or Dawkins out around the 3-point arc....

Should be a fun year. :rolleyes:

davekay1971
10-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Heard of little of Cowherd interview today and, as always, a pleasure to hear Coach K's thoughts and comments. He was very effusive in praise of Durant, calling him one of the best 5 players in the world and incredibly coachable (said he was no-maintenance and a "sponge") and, at the same time, said he was going to do nothing but improve. The most interesting moment I heard was when Cowherd asked him if Laettner was high maintenance. K said no, he was no maintenance for the coaches, but high maintenance for his teammates, because he had such a drive to win, had such high expectations, and had that well-known "chip".

As for the starting lineup, it sounds like the Plumlees will start, which implies, I think, that Singler, Smith, and Irving will complete the starting lineup at the beginning of the season. As we know, of course, the starting lineup during the first game of the season means very little about who will be starting come tournament time. Every starter will be pushed to produce on both ends of the court, hopefully by guys like Kelly and Hairston, but definitely by the wealth of perimeter talent we have. Coach K has never been shy about playing a lineup with one anchor in the center and four strong perimeter players. Case in point 1992, with Laettner surrounded by Davis (6'7), Hill (6'8), and guards Hill and Hurley. If K thinks the car's going to drive better with Seth or Dre starting and one Plumlee on the bench, he's gonna do it.

The only two guys who I think we can safely assume will start every game this season (assuming they're healthy, knocking on wood furiously as I write) will be Singler and Smith.

NSDukeFan
10-21-2010, 12:27 PM
YES. There was a string several months back - May timeframe - that was about projecting the '10-'11 starting line-ups. Most were projecting MP1 and MP2 as starters, along with KS, NS and KI. Some of us, however, were projecting many scenarios, especially when facing an opponent without an especially big "3" player, where we'd start 3 guards. K has never been big on being locked into status-quo "positions." And two big factors argue for 3-guard line-ups: (1) Need to protect our somewhat thin frontcourt. MP1 and MP2 weren't averaging more than 25 minutes a game, at least partially due to frequent foul issues (as well as playing behind a couple guys named Thomas and Zoubek). Can they play less-foul-prone this year? And the depth behind them up front this year is a little unproven. So K might want to show a lot of minutes on the floor in some games with only two "bigs." (2) Just bassed on out-of-HS rankings (and other metrics) our "most talented" 5 players would almost certainly include 3 guards. Not to say that is definitively the best TEAM we could muster, but if you commit to playing THE FIVE BEST PLAYERS then you probably go small.

I am certain that we will see many minutes this season with three guards on the floor, and frankly can see a few scenarios even with FOUR on the floor, depending on match-ups. The obvious 3-G combination then might be KI, NS, SC, KS and MP2 (or MP1). One of the big questions going into the season, in my mind, is seeing if one or more of the guards can defend against bigger 3's.

Last thought, even if there is a (3-G line-up) size disadvantage at the "3" while we are on D, please remember that there are also match-up disadvantages for the opponents when we play three guards, as well. (Will be interesting seing bigger, heavier 6'7" SF-types trying to guard Curry or Dawkins out around the 3-point arc....

Should be a fun year. :rolleyes:

I agree with you completely that there will be many minutes where there is a three guard line-up on the floor and that it should be a fun year. I still expect the Plumlee dunking company to begin the year in the starting line-up. That can certainly change.
In terms of our five best players, I disagree a bit with you. If you are going to base player it on HS ratings, then our line-up would likely be Kyrie (#3 ranked player in his class), Kyle (#5 player in his class), Nolan (#19), Ryan (#14), Mason (#18) or Andre might be in the mix (his ranking was difficult as he changed classes at the end, but was a top 20 recruit.) If you are going to look at other metrics, may I suggest # of prior starts or minutes playing D for Duke which would add Miles to the mix. It would be hard to find a metric that would indicate Duke will start 3 guards, unless you are going to go by # of points scored at Liberty. I'm not saying that Duke won't start 3 guards at some point this year, but I expect Duke's lineup will most likely be based on the best defensive unit coach K can put on the floor for the most minutes.

Kedsy
10-21-2010, 12:32 PM
YES. There was a string several months back - May timeframe - that was about projecting the '10-'11 starting line-ups. Most were projecting MP1 and MP2 as starters, along with KS, NS and KI. Some of us, however, were projecting many scenarios, especially when facing an opponent without an especially big "3" player, where we'd start 3 guards. K has never been big on being locked into status-quo "positions."

We did talk about this a lot, much to the chagrin of many. While it's true that K has never been "locked into status-quo 'positions,'" it's also true he has never regularly played three players together who were all 6'2" or smaller. Also, he has usually opted for the best defensive lineup he can put together, and unless the opponent's "3" is very small (which will not be the case for most, if not all, of the ACC), our best defensive lineup will not include three guys with so little height among them. Despite what some believe, looking historically based on K's past patterns does not argue in favor of a Kyrie-Nolan-Seth-Kyle-MP2 starting lineup.

Having said that, I expect the three-small-guards-plus-Kyle-plus-a-big lineup to appear in stretches, but probably in the 10 minutes a game range. Such a lineup could ratchet up the full-court defensive pressure in short bursts to disrupt the other team. In out of conference games against teams who play three smallish guards (like Butler, perhaps?) you might see such a lineup more frequently, or even as a starting lineup, but it will be the exception rather than the norm.

And two big factors argue for 3-guard line-ups: (1) Need to protect our somewhat thin frontcourt. MP1 and MP2 weren't averaging more than 25 minutes a game, at least partially due to frequent foul issues (as well as playing behind a couple guys named Thomas and Zoubek). Can they play less-foul-prone this year? And the depth behind them up front this year is a little unproven. So K might want to show a lot of minutes on the floor in some games with only two "bigs."

There are 80 "big" minutes. If Kyle plays the "4" for 10 minutes per game, and the MPs play 45 minutes between them, that leaves 25 minutes for Ryan and Josh to split (I'm thinking 17 and 8 or 18 and 7, but that's a complete guess). I don't think that's unreasonable, nor would I suggest the Plumlees' ability to stay on the court for 45 minutes combined or Ryan and Josh being capable of splitting 25 minutes to be "big factors" arguing for an alternative.

(2) Just bassed on out-of-HS rankings (and other metrics) our "most talented" 5 players would almost certainly include 3 guards. Not to say that is definitively the best TEAM we could muster, but if you commit to playing THE FIVE BEST PLAYERS then you probably go small.

High school ratings for our 2010-11 players (based on RSCI):

Kyrie #2
Kyle #5
Ryan #14
Mason #18
Nolan #19
Josh #32
Miles #81
Andre unknown because he skipped his senior year
Seth not in top 100
Tyler not in top 100

And I know you parenthetically added "and other metrics," but based on out-of-HS rankings we wouldn't be playing three small guards. And while I agree with you in believing that Seth is really good, it's really based mostly on hearsay or a hope that his play at Liberty will translate into the ACC or the idea that he must be almost as good as his brother. None of which is (in my opinion) a good enough basis for saying that our five best players include three small guards. Of course that may change as the season progresses (but it also might not change; we can't say right now with any degree of certainty).

Finally, Coach K has never committed to playing the five best players (whether capitalized or in lower case). He has always been committed to fielding the best team, and to me that's a compelling argument against playing three players 6'2" or smaller for the majority of the game.

SilkyJ
10-21-2010, 12:50 PM
it's also true he has never regularly played three players together who were all 6'2" or smaller. Also, he has usually opted for the best defensive lineup he can put together, and unless the opponent's "3" is very small (which will not be the case for most, if not all, of the ACC), our best defensive lineup will not include three guys with so little height among them.

I agree more with this ^ than the below:

In out of conference games against teams who play three smallish guards (like Butler, perhaps?) you might see such a lineup more frequently, or even as a starting lineup, but it will be the exception rather than the norm.

This makes sense theoretically, but coach has routinely said that he doesn't like to adjust his lineup or style in order to match-up with the other team. He likes to force the other team to match-up with us. So Kyle guard a SG might present matchup problems for Kyle on D, but it obviously presents matchup problems for that SG when Kyle is on offense.

I think prime examples of this over the last couple years where when K stuck with Zoubs against more mobile centers and many of us (often myself included) screamed to put in a plumlee or someone who could match footspeed. But K also knew that where Zoubs had a disadvantage in speed, he had an advantage in heigh and rebounding.

Finally, Coach K has never committed to playing the five best players (whether capitalized or in lower case). He has always been committed to fielding the best team, and to me that's a compelling argument against playing three players 6'2" or smaller for the majority of the game.

This at the end of the day, is what matters. K is gonna play his best players and his best lineup. Seth is really good, but the Plumlees are also freaks and where they clearly lack an offensive game at the level of Seth's, with Kyrie, Nolan and Kyle its not like we're lacking in perimeter scoring.

Kedsy
10-21-2010, 01:28 PM
This makes sense theoretically, but coach has routinely said that he doesn't like to adjust his lineup or style in order to match-up with the other team. He likes to force the other team to match-up with us. So Kyle guard a SG might present matchup problems for Kyle on D, but it obviously presents matchup problems for that SG when Kyle is on offense.

I think prime examples of this over the last couple years where when K stuck with Zoubs against more mobile centers and many of us (often myself included) screamed to put in a plumlee or someone who could match footspeed. But K also knew that where Zoubs had a disadvantage in speed, he had an advantage in heigh and rebounding.

Well, I agree with you. I was just trying to be open-minded.

I do think, however, that if a particular player is especially ill-suited to match up in a particular game, K sometimes does juggle the minutes distribution accordingly. An example would be how little Z played in the Georgetown game in each of the past two years.

SilkyJ
10-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Well, I agree with you. I was just trying to be open-minded.

I do think, however, that if a particular player is especially ill-suited to match up in a particular game, K sometimes does juggle the minutes distribution accordingly. An example would be how little Z played in the Georgetown game in each of the past two years.

Definitely agreed. There are examples on both sides.

I think the way it will go down is like this: K will give the Plumlees a chance to prove that our best team is with them on the floor, but it may be that Seth is just too good to keep off the court, and when we play a smaller team he may go with Seth b/c of that.

JG Nothing
10-22-2010, 03:30 AM

Perhaps. I am sure, however, that the report below implies we will use a 3 guard lineup when the game is on the line.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/acc/2010-10-21-duke-preseason-cover-story_N.htm

Krzyzewski predicts Curry will be on the court in the final minutes of tight games. "When he's open, he can shoot," he says. "He will have a green light."

sagegrouse
10-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Perhaps. I am sure, however, that the report below implies we will use a 3 guard lineup when the game is on the line.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/acc/2010-10-21-duke-preseason-cover-story_N.htm

Or possibly, an offensive (small) and defensive (big) alignment.

sagegrouse

MChambers
10-22-2010, 08:14 AM

sagegrouse
At a minimum, I think we might go small to protect leads. Other teams will be looking for three point shots, and having three guards and Singler at the 4 would work to guard against outside shots, while also giving Duke great ball handling and free throw shooting for the (much beloved) delay game.

We also might use that lineup to turn up the tempo, if we're trailing and need to make a big comeback.

Generally, though, I expect Singler to be Duke's third biggest player on the court, making him the "3", I guess.

JG Nothing
10-22-2010, 09:47 AM

sagegrouse

Definitely could be the case. However, it wouldn't surprise me if K forced opponents to deal with the problems presented by all that defensive quickness on the perimeter.

greybeard
10-22-2010, 12:33 PM

sagegrouse

This makes sense to me, when things are tight and a two is as good as a three by an opponent.

During periods when an opponent needs to be shooting threes, the disadvantages on the defensive end of going small would seem to diminish.

If it is earlier in a game and the opponent starts looking for 3 balls, how nice would it be to see K counter and say, "Game on!" Could be wild fun. I remember some games when other teams looked to open up and so did K with JJ and Dock getting down quickly and shooting from favorite 3 spots asap. Like a leonard-hurns battle, people throwing serious leather.

This year could well have some wild gun slinging episodes, especially with Kyrie's ability to get to the rim in the open court; if the defenders who get back must stay at the 3-line during such periods, who is going to stop that guy from getting to the rim and finishing when there is no one from the periphery to even shade in an effort to try to slow him down or limit his options?

That presupposes the lead, which in my mind brings this thing back to the interior. For what its worth, I think that the interior must score on offense to do the job on the other end--defensive rebounding, impeding shots on penetration with appropriate rotations, and defending the inside game of the opponents. I should think that Kyrie's penetration should make for good scoring opportunities on the inside, and give Duke's bigs the opportunity to display timing, good hands, and cleverness, all of which provides an edge for working effectively on the other end. I also think that Duke must be four deep on the inside and that that may well involve Kyle lending a hand at times. As I've mentioned before, the added muscle Ryan put on does not mean that he is ready physically for very physical match ups on defense, at least without a greater risk of injury than one would like (just a hypothesis on my part).