PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker to UCLA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DevilHorns
10-19-2010, 08:14 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/tony-parker-says-he-holds-and-offer-from-duke-after-his-visit-to-ctc/

According to BDN and our buddy Watzone, Tony Parker claims a Duke offer.

http://bluedevilnation.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/parker-2-172x230.jpg

BDN: Can you talk about your overall visit and what you did from when you arrived until when you left?

TP: It was a great visit I really enjoyed it. It’s a great school and it has a really good basketball atmosphere. We got there kind of late but I still got to see quite a bit of the campus. I got to watch the blue and white game; I really enjoyed seeing how they play and how everything works.

The rest of the post is premium.

Here we go Tony!

D.C. Devil
10-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Would love to have Tony in Duke blue. Kid looks tough!

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/tony-parker-says-he-holds-and-offer-from-duke-after-his-visit-to-ctc/

http://bluedevilnation.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/parker-2-172x230.jpg

The rest of the post is premium.

Here we go Tony!

Duke4life92
10-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Be a great addition to the duke team.Saw him walking out of the gym after the festivities friday night and the kid is a beast(huge).Looked like he coulda been a football recruit.Here's to seeing tony in a duke uni..:D

SuperTurkey
10-19-2010, 09:41 PM
May I claim the privilege of making the first Eva Longoria joke in this thread?

"I hope this means 4 years of Eva Longoria courtside at Cameron."

Cool, that's out of my system.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-20-2010, 01:36 AM

I was thinking the same thing :D

What year is this kid? Im assuming 2012, but just wanna make sure.

juise
10-20-2010, 02:00 AM
What year is this kid? Im assuming 2012, but just wanna make sure.

Yep. Link (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/66469/tony-parker). He would certainly be a welcome addition.

flyingdutchdevil
10-20-2010, 05:18 AM

Tony (or Anthony) Parker must be the new Jason Williams - crazy popular basketball name. That means in 3-5 years, there will potentially be three NBA players officially named "Anthony Parker"

Anyway, going back to the youngest Anthony Parker, this guy is enormous! Only 6'9" and almost 280lb! And he has agility? That's impressive.

JasonEvans
12-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Coach K is coming to Atlanta tonight (http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-school-sports/2010/12/14/dukes-coach-k-to-make-special-visit-to-atlanta-tonight-guess-who-he-is-here-to-see/) to see Tony Parker play.

“Coach K isn’t coming for a casual visit — Duke loves Tony and they want to sign him very badly,” Miller Grove coach Sharman White said. “He’s a 6-9 guy who can make things happen in the paint. They like his ability to score, and they think he’s a great kid — a ‘Duke kind of kid.’”

Parker, who has built a close relationship with Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt, says he has no favorites.

“It’s exciting that Duke will be here,” Parker said. “They obviously have a great program and I’m definitely considering them.”

--Jason "Parker is biiig!" Evans

hurleyfor3
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Eva is available now, of course. If she wanted she could date this Tony Parker after dumping the other one. She's 35... would be quite the cougarrific relationship.

SuperTurkey
12-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Eva is available now, of course. If she wanted she could date this Tony Parker after dumping the other one. She's 35... would be quite the cougarrific relationship.

And join the cast of CougarTown.

sagegrouse
12-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Here we go Tony!

Anyway, to save looking it up, Tony is 6-9, 274 and attends high school in Lithonia, Georgia. Seems like a very good prospect. I hope he's a good student.

sagegrouse

yancem
12-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Would anyone in the know like to give some scouting information about Parker? I know that he is a big space eater but I am confused about how skilled he is. I had thought that he was 5 star top 20 type recruit but in looking at the various rankings he seems to be ranked in the 35-75 range. Is he more of a project or will he be ready to compete right off the bat? How does he compare to Tyler Adams?

enick66
12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Would anyone in the know like to give some scouting information about Parker? I know that he is a big space eater but I am confused about how skilled he is. I had thought that he was 5 star top 20 type recruit but in looking at the various rankings he seems to be ranked in the 35-75 range. Is he more of a project or will he be ready to compete right off the bat? How does he compare to Tyler Adams?

Haven't seen him play, but my understanding is that he has a much more refined offensive game than Tyler Adams. ESPN ranks him 15th, Scout at 39th, and Rivals at 64th. He has played great this season and probably will go up in Rivals rankings, which haven't been updated in a couple of months. His team knocked off the #1 overall team in the USA Today HS rankings and Parker had 20 pts 12 rebs.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-school-sports/2010/12/05/miller-grove-knocks-off-no-1-team-in-the-usa-milton-high/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_high_school_sports

MChambers
12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Anyway, to save looking it up, Tony is 6-9, 274 and attends high school in Lithonia, Georgia. Seems like a very good prospect. I hope he's a good student.

sagegrouse

So he's Lithonian?

BlueDster
12-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Yep. Link (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/66469/tony-parker). He would certainly be a welcome addition.

There seem to be a lot of good centers in the Class of 2012, as ESPN has him ranked 15th, but 6th at his position. In fact, 4 of the top 5 players on ESPN's list are centers.

CEF1959
12-14-2010, 04:55 PM
So he's Lithonian?

What? You got a problem with cultures based on high quality reprints?

I'm OK with the foreign thing as long as he's not Elbonian. Those elbow shots are a new point of emphasis.

6-9, 274? In high school? Holy hot dog, Batman, my garage isn't that big.

MChambers
12-14-2010, 05:13 PM

I'm OK with the foreign thing as long as he's not Elbonian. Those elbow shots are a new point of emphasis.

6-9, 274? In high school? Holy hot dog, Batman, my garage isn't that big.

I dunno, just seemed to me that lots of big men from the Baltics have good perimeter skills.

Spoke
12-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Coach K was in Atlanta last night to watch Parker play. Two AJC articles on the event:

Article 1 (http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-school-sports/2010/12/14/dukes-coach-k-to-make-special-visit-to-atlanta-tonight-guess-who-he-is-here-to-see/)
Article 2 (http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-school-sports/2010/12/14/guess-what-dukes-mike-krzyzewski-had-to-say-after-scouting-one-of-atlantas-top-prospects-in-person/)

Saratoga2
12-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Sounds like a Shelden Williams clone, and that is a huge compliment.

rotogod00
12-15-2010, 08:51 AM

A snippit from ESPN's evaluation: "There is no question that Parker is one of the top bigs in this class and possesses the basketball skill to make an immediate impact at the next level."

Reading the whole thing, sounds like a much better prospect than Adams

Saratoga2
12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I notice on Scout that Duke had interest in Andre and was listed just behind Connecticut in the running. Has that changed, and is Tony Parker now the prime target for big men?

Bluedog
12-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Tony is also supposedly a really good student, so that's always nice to hear and has to be an advantage for Duke (although I thought the same thing about Brandon Knight back in the day, so who really knows). On the somewhat negative side (for us), he's known to be incredible close to his family, so many believe he'd ideally like to stay in state to be close to them (and so that they can watch all his games, etc.) Duke is definitely in the mix, though. Everybody is on even ground right now according to Tony and he has no favorites. I'd definitely like to get him on board!

COYS
12-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Tony is also supposedly a really good student, so that's always nice to hear and has to be an advantage for Duke (although I thought the same thing about Brandon Knight back in the day, so who really knows). On the somewhat negative side (for us), he's known to be incredible close to his family, so many believe he'd ideally like to stay in state to be close to them (and so that they can watch all his games, etc.) Duke is definitely in the mix, though. Everybody is on even ground right now according to Tony and he has no favorites. I'd definitely like to get him on board!

If it weren't for Hewitt's large contract/buyout clause, I think the chances of Hewitt being at another school next year would be pretty high. It will be interesting to see how GaTech's season goes, because if the boosters start getting restless, Adams may not be able to count on Hewitt sitting on the GaTech bench two years from now. This may help us out a bit. You never know.

JasonEvans
12-15-2010, 10:59 AM
he's known to be incredible close to his family, so many believe he'd ideally like to stay in state to be close to them (and so that they can watch all his games, etc.)

Living in Atlanta, I can tell you from personal experience that the trip from Tony Parker's home to Cameron is probably right around 6 hours by car. It is a very easy drive up I-85 and I have done it often. It is not ideal for a family that wants to see a lot of games, but it is not like being so far from home that you have to get in a plane or waste a couple days to get to a game.

Plus, if he plays at Duke they will get to see every game of the season on TV, as opposed to being at Tech or UGA where at least half the games are not on the tube.

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to go play for Tech these days. Hewitt is sleepwalking through that job, not getting it done on the recruiting trail (2009 was great, but 2010 and -so far- 2011 appear to be poor) and not winning games on the court. At some point Tech is going to bite the bullet and swallow his absurd buyout.

Actually, the really smart thing to do would be to drug Hewitt and then take pictures of him in bed with a dead woman or a live man. That would certainly be cheaper than buying out his crazy contract.

-Jason "I keed, I keed..." Evans

Delaware
12-15-2010, 09:03 PM

"There are two things I can't stand. People who are intolerant of other cultures. And the Dutch."

Bob Green
12-16-2010, 12:27 PM
If it weren't for Hewitt's large contract/buyout clause, I think the chances of Hewitt being at another school next year would be pretty high. It will be interesting to see how GaTech's season goes, because if the boosters start getting restless, Adams may not be able to count on Hewitt sitting on the GaTech bench two years from now. This may help us out a bit. You never know.

I believe you meant Parker as Adams is headed to Georgetown next year.

rotogod00
01-02-2011, 11:26 PM
In this Insider article from 12/30, Parker was asked who has done the best job and demonstrated a commitment to him thus far in the recruiting process. He said Duke, Georgetown, Georgia and Florida stand out in that regard.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=telep_dave&id=5971166

Bluedog
01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Tony Parker interview. Talks about Coach K's visit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=svsah-vtl0Q

Very well-spoken guy. Would love to have him at DUKE!

DukieTiger
01-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Nice video, anyone else catch the H&H thrown in their by Mr. Parker? That Irving guy is in with the kids these days...

Greg_Newton
01-11-2011, 03:52 AM
A snippit from ESPN's evaluation: "There is no question that Parker is one of the top bigs in this class and possesses the basketball skill to make an immediate impact at the next level."

Reading the whole thing, sounds like a much better prospect than Adams

It seems like he probably has a more refined offensive game and basketball sense and Adams, while Adams may have a slightly better physique in terms of length and how chiseled he is. Definitely a power, back-to-basket guy though, which is great, and seems to have a great attitude and way of carrying himself.

I'm not sure about "much better prospect than Adams" though - that seems to be the general consensus among our camp, but I think they're comparable prospects. IMHO, Adams is going to be a real stud, and he thoroughly beasted our own Marshall Plumlee while drawing rave reviews from Christ School's coach several weeks ago. I suppose that's not really here nor there, I'm just still a little stung that we lost him.:(

tylervinyard
01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Nice video, anyone else catch the H&H thrown in their by Mr. Parker? That Irving guy is in with the kids these days...

Anyone else catch the "Dwight Howard's work ethic plus Kevin McHale's post-moves" quote at the end? Amazing considering he was born several years after McHale retired. Someone smart must be feeding him old VHS tapes. I would love, love, love to have this kid.

Daniel tosh
01-11-2011, 06:44 PM
I really really hope we get this guy.He would be a great addition to the team.

rotogod00
01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
From Dave Telep's just completed chat:

Q: Dave,Can you handicap the Tony Parker recruitment at this stage. Kids from Georgia often stay home, but Parker has some pretty big opportunities at power programs. Your thoughts? Thanks.

A: Tony Parker's recruitment? Well, the young man likes Duke. I know that. Georgia is locking in on him. Georgetown and Florida are strong contenders. Duke hasn't had a guy like him, just a beast in the blocks since Carlos Boozer. I'm sure they want another one.

MChambers
01-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Q: Dave,Can you handicap the Tony Parker recruitment at this stage. Kids from Georgia often stay home, but Parker has some pretty big opportunities at power programs. Your thoughts? Thanks.

A: Tony Parker's recruitment? Well, the young man likes Duke. I know that. Georgia is locking in on him. Georgetown and Florida are strong contenders. Duke hasn't had a guy like him, just a beast in the blocks since Carlos Boozer. I'm sure they want another one.

He's more of a beast than Shelden? Cool.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-25-2011, 04:38 PM

2012 has to be the year we get a bonafied low block player. Miles will be gone, Mason may be gone, and the way Ryan is playing, heck, he may be gone too. Tony Parker would be just what the doctor ordered. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to snag him. What's not to like about that situation he would be walking into?

Im liking this a lot!

Krzyzewskiville
01-25-2011, 05:49 PM
2012 has to be the year we get a bonafied low block player. Miles will be gone, Mason may be gone, and the way Ryan is playing, heck, he may be gone too. Tony Parker would be just what the doctor ordered. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to snag him. What's not to like about that situation he would be walking into?

Im liking this a lot!

He's from Georgia and the Georgia schools are recruiting him just as hard as Duke.

SupaDave
01-25-2011, 07:06 PM

Trust me - the boosters are restless...

Supa "see Jason's post above - the cupboard is nearly bare" Dave

darjum
04-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Why is there not enough chatter about Tony Parker...I'm worried...I like Shabazz, super cool name, no doubt, great dunker, big time athlete, all the attributes to make him great, but he's not what Duke needs...Tony Parker is...having a dominate inside presence that Tony Parker can be, to go along with a maturing back court, multiple wing options and some returning interior players could make Duke truly scary come 2012-13...or maybe I just need to stop crystal ballin and appreciate the moment...I will try...but I'm still worried about Tony Parker... :rolleyes: I'd be happy with Andre Drummond also, I'm not picky, ha, ha. :D

http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/2011/04/tony-parker-talks-with-coast-2-coast-recruiting/

superdave
04-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Why is there not enough chatter about Tony Parker...I'm worried...I like Shabazz, super cool name, no doubt, great dunker, big time athlete, all the attributes to make him great, but he's not what Duke needs...Tony Parker is...having a dominate inside presence that Tony Parker can be, to go along with a maturing back court, multiple wing options and some returning interior players could make Duke truly scary come 2012-13...or maybe I just need to stop crystal ballin and appreciate the moment...I will try...but I'm still worried about Tony Parker... :rolleyes: I'd be happy with Andre Drummond also, I'm not picky, ha, ha. :D

http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/2011/04/tony-parker-talks-with-coast-2-coast-recruiting/

I really have not seen articles on Parker's recruitment lately. Usually you see some twitter chatter on every big prospect, or some sort of news. But nada in this case. I'm sure it will heat up during AAU season and that August-October timeframe seems to be when a lot of kids make visits before their high school senior season starts.

jimsumner
04-29-2011, 11:22 AM

I'm pretty sure the lack of "chatter" on this message board will play a pretty small role in the recruitment of Tony Parker.

tydotscott
04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure the lack of "chatter" on this message board will play a pretty small role in the recruitment of Tony Parker.

I never really post on here, but I do check it daily for updates on Duke basketball. The more I visit the site, the more I notice the amount of rude, nonsensical posts that are unwarranted. For example, the posts above. All the guy was saying was that he is concerned about the lack of talk of Parker. In return, he is granted a smart aleck response that doesn't contribute anything to the conversation. I don't care if you are a well-respected insider or someone that posts once a year like myself, but there's no real reason to be rude.

SuperTurkey
04-29-2011, 12:57 PM
I never really post on here, but I do check it daily for updates on Duke basketball. The more I visit the site, the more I notice the amount of rude, nonsensical posts that are unwarranted. For example, the posts above. All the guy was saying was that he is concerned about the lack of talk of Parker. In return, he is granted a smart aleck response that doesn't contribute anything to the conversation. I don't care if you are a well-respected insider or someone that posts once a year like myself, but there's no real reason to be rude.

I fail to see how the quoted post is rude. At all.

JasonEvans
04-29-2011, 01:00 PM

But it worked so well with John Wall?

-Jason " ;) " Evans

jipops
04-29-2011, 01:11 PM
But it worked so well with John Wall?

-Jason " ;) " Evans

It would be interesting, of the recruiting threads on this board that are of the highest post count, what percentage of those recruits did we actually land?

This question also advances jimsumner's statement which I also feel is NOT the least bit rude.

MChambers
04-29-2011, 01:20 PM
I fail to see how the quoted post is rude. At all.

Jim's post wasn't rude.

Bluedog
04-29-2011, 01:22 PM
It would be interesting, of the recruiting threads on this board that are of the highest post count, what percentage of those recruits did we actually land?

Well, since you asked :) :

Austin Rivers: 3,104 LANDED
John Wall: 2,514 No
HB: 2,133 No
Quincy Miller: 1,137 No
Kyrie Irving: 797 LANDED
Quinn Cook: 758 LANDED
Tyler Adams: 585 Yes and then No
PPat: 564 No

So, we've landed 3/8 of the most replied about recruiting threads. It seems like we don't have any influence! haha.

ChicagoHeel
04-29-2011, 02:02 PM

I thought the post to which you were referring was a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek response and not intended to be rude at all. In all honesty, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a sports-related message board with a lower percentage of rude comments.

jimsumner
04-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Well, let's anaylze the post to which I was responding, shall we? The OP expressed worry at the lack of chatter regarding Tony Parker. Why would this be a point of concern? Perhaps the OP could elaborate on why he/she feels worried. Because I don't see it.

Tony Parker has stated publically that Duke is recruiting him harder than any other school. Other than someone on this board posting something totally untrue and libelious about Parker, I can see no possible correlation between anything on this board and the recruitment of Tony Parker. Pointing that out in what seems to me to be a matter-of-fact and non-judgmental fashion also seems to me to be relevant to the point at hand.

gam7
04-29-2011, 03:29 PM
I really have not seen articles on Parker's recruitment lately. Usually you see some twitter chatter on every big prospect, or some sort of news. But nada in this case. I'm sure it will heat up during AAU season and that August-October timeframe seems to be when a lot of kids make visits before their high school senior season starts.

I don't follow twitter closely, but the only college-related tweet I've seen from him recently (a couple of weeks ago) was a comment that Texas is a cool school.

Oh, here it is (from April 19):

tonyparker32 tony parker
Texas is a cool school

Based on this tweet, I can only conclude that he is a lock for Texas.

jipops
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Well, since you asked :) :

Austin Rivers: 3,104 LANDED
John Wall: 2,514 No
HB: 2,133 No
Quincy Miller: 1,137 No
Kyrie Irving: 797 LANDED
Quinn Cook: 758 LANDED
Tyler Adams: 585 Yes and then No
PPat: 564 No

So, we've landed 3/8 of the most replied about recruiting threads. It seems like we don't have any influence! haha.

Thank you very much :). Did you factor out posts made after a verbal was given? Just kidding, please don't waste your time. This data is good enough. I was waaay too lazy to do it myself.

darjum
04-29-2011, 08:06 PM

Hi JimSummer, I took no offense to your original response. I completely agree with the comment. It was you opinion and I never let any comment related to something I post on a msg board influence my day in anyway. Regards, Darjum.

Thanks for the defense tydotscott, but don't let msg boards influence your outlook on life, otherwise your stress levels will raise to the point where blood pressure will need to be checked!

Well, let's anaylze the post to which I was responding, shall we? The OP expressed worry at the lack of chatter regarding Tony Parker. Why would this be a point of concern? Perhaps the OP could elaborate on why he/she feels worried. Because I don't see it.

Tony Parker has stated publically that Duke is recruiting him harder than any other school. Other than someone on this board posting something totally untrue and libelious about Parker, I can see no possible correlation between anything on this board and the recruitment of Tony Parker. Pointing that out in what seems to me to be a matter-of-fact and non-judgmental fashion also seems to me to be relevant to the point at hand.

It was really my attempt to get some new information about Tony Parker, whom I feel should be a priority for 2012. As I'm entitled to post, you are certainly entitled to respond. If people don't want a response, don't post.

I thought the post to which you were referring was a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek response and not intended to be rude at all. In all honesty, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a sports-related message board with a lower percentage of rude comments.

One of the only reasons I decided to join DBR is I do really enjoying watch the way Coach K manages basketball and that this board is reasonably respectful to its users. I hope this continues.

turnandburn55
04-29-2011, 09:46 PM
I seem to remember a thread going on and on about Lance Thomas during his recruitment (particularly when it wasn't clear if McBoB would return)

HCheek37
05-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Here's a positive quote from Jason Jordan at ESPN Rise on twitter:

JayJayESPNRise Jason Jordan
My man @sheed_01 tells me that: "Next summer @tonyparker32 & either @rpurvis_44 or @phenom15balla will be w/ me @ Duke." #toprecruiter

Making it sound like Tony Parker is solid and Rodney/Shabazz are possible? :cool:

wilko
05-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Here's a positive quote from Jason Jordan at ESPN Rise on twitter:

JayJayESPNRise Jason Jordan
My man @sheed_01 tells me that: "Next summer @tonyparker32 & either @rpurvis_44 or @phenom15balla will be w/ me @ Duke." #toprecruiter

Making it sound like Tony Parker is solid and Rodney/Shabazz are possible? :cool:

Nice thoughts...

ThePublisher
05-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Word on the street is coach Capel was on the phone with Parker's dad for about thirty minutes while he was at the airport the other day. Supposedly Mr. Parker really wants Tony to come to Duke.
Can anyone confirm this?

CharlestonDevil
05-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Word on the street is coach Capel was on the phone with Parker's dad for about thirty minutes while he was at the airport the other day. Supposedly Mr. Parker really wants Tony to come to Duke.
Can anyone confirm this?

What street?
How does a 30 minute phone conversation reveal what his dad is thinking?

moonpie23
05-18-2011, 09:33 PM
30 min is a lot to talk about.....

loldevilz
05-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm sure in those 30 minutes Coach Capel mentioned that he coached Blake Griffin.

superdave
05-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone have the audio?

ikiru36
05-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Does anyone have the audio?

Department of Homeland Security? Maybe Reggie L. can get ahold of a transcript through his connections?

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trey_dre20
06-16-2011, 02:49 PM
NorthstarBball Alex Schwartz
by DukeHoopBlog
Tony Parker said of his favs, "OSU, Duke & Memphis are my top [schools].Kansas & Texas are coming up." If he had to sign tomorrow? "Ohio St"
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

darjum
06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
NorthstarBball Alex Schwartz
by DukeHoopBlog
Tony Parker said of his favs, "OSU, Duke & Memphis are my top [schools].Kansas & Texas are coming up." If he had to sign tomorrow? "Ohio St"
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Ouch! He would be perfect for Duke, maybe he'd sign with Duke the day after!

Bob Green
06-16-2011, 07:39 PM

But he isn't signing tomorrow so all is good. :cool:

ThePublisher
06-17-2011, 03:03 PM
I imagine OSU is telling him he can step in for Sullinger, since it's almost guaranteed he will go pro after this year.

For us, he can step in for Sheldon Williams, haha.

jimsumner
06-17-2011, 03:56 PM
I imagine OSU is telling him he can step in for Sullinger, since it's almost guaranteed he will go pro after this year.

Shelden.

With an E.

Thank you for understanding.

NSDukeFan
06-17-2011, 04:07 PM

Shelden.

With an E.

Thank you for understanding.

Will Austin be stepping in for JJ Reddick, or Gerard Henderson, or Nolen Smith, or Kyrie Erving, or John Schyer?

El_Diablo
06-17-2011, 07:17 PM

But of course, Ohio State already has an elite post player ready to step in to fill Sullinger's shoes...Amir Williams, who probably won't be getting as many touches as a freshman that he expected but will be poised to take over as a sophomore if/when Sullinger departs. A freshman Tony Parker may very well be better than a sophomore Amir Williams when all is said and done, but he certainly won't have a starting spot guaranteed at OSU (nor at Duke clearly, but as of now the post competition looks to be a little stiffer at OSU for 2012-13).

rotogod00
06-19-2011, 05:23 PM
according to an ESPN insider article, parker's down to Ohio st., Memphis, and Duke.

From the article: "Duke has the history and a coaching staff he connected with."

devildeac
06-19-2011, 05:46 PM
according to an ESPN insider article, parker's down to Ohio st., Memphis, and Duke.

From the article: "Duke has the history and a coaching staff he connected with."
What the hey?

No unc?

Everyone knows we don't develop big men:rolleyes:

Come to Durham, Mr. Parker!

superdave
06-27-2011, 01:17 PM
I saw on the twitter that Tony Parker is on campus today for an unofficial. Anyone got any details?

Greg_Newton
06-27-2011, 05:49 PM
I saw on the twitter that Tony Parker is on campus today for an unofficial. Anyone got any details?

Nope, but it seems like since he

1) Is planning to decide ~August
2) Would pick OSU as of today
3) Will be visiting OSU in July

Today should be an extremely important day...

Bluedog
06-27-2011, 07:30 PM

I realize people take things said on twitter too literally sometimes, but here's what Parker said just before he left for Duke:

Going Out of town, again tomorrow not excited about it
http://twitter.com/#!/tonyparker32

Obviously, he could just be sick of traveling and want to stick around at home, which is understandable, but I'd still think he should be excited to visit Duke. I'd imagine he'll change his mind once he steps foot on campus. If not, it appears the staff is casting a wider net for a post player in the class of 2012 so I'm not too worried, but I'd love to have TP on board.

Bluedog
06-27-2011, 07:56 PM
I realize people take things said on twitter too literally sometimes, but here's what Parker said just before he left for Duke:

Obviously, he could just be sick of traveling and want to stick around at home, which is understandable, but I'd still think he should be excited to visit Duke. I'd imagine he'll change his mind once he steps foot on campus. If not, it appears the staff is casting a wider net for a post player in the class of 2012 so I'm not too worried, but I'd love to have TP on board.

Again, I explicitly stated people take things on twitter too literally and was saying he's probably just tired of traveling....and I get negative (anonymous) comments back for saying that? Sorry...Was just trying to be helpful with a link to Tony's twitter and that's the only thing I saw about his trip on it. We probably won't hear anything about his perceptions for a couple days. I haven't ever heard anybody ever say a trip to Duke went badly though.

Billy Dat
06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey man, selling begins when the customer says "No"....and K can sell, baby!!!!

stillcrazie
06-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I saw some recruit on campus today walking with Wojo, Capel, and a couple of other folks. I did not get a good look at the kid, but he appeared to be about 6'9 and pretty skinny. It did not occur to me that it may have been TP since he is much beefier.

Jderf
06-27-2011, 10:07 PM
I saw some recruit on campus today walking with Wojo, Capel, and a couple of other folks. I did not get a good look at the kid, but he appeared to be about 6'9 and pretty skinny. It did not occur to me that it may have been TP since he is much beefier.

Judging from other threads (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23098-2013-Recruiting-Thread&p=508569#post508569), that was probably Brannen Greene.

superdave
06-28-2011, 12:13 AM
EvanDanielscout Evan Daniels
Tony Parker made a trip to Duke this week for an unofficial visit...
20 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

superdave
06-28-2011, 12:15 AM
tonyparker32 tony parker
At duke coolin it
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Greg_Newton
06-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Again, I explicitly stated people take things on twitter too literally and was saying he's probably just tired of traveling....and I get negative (anonymous) comments back for saying that? Sorry...Was just trying to be helpful with a link to Tony's twitter and that's the only thing I saw about his trip on it. We probably won't hear anything about his perceptions for a couple days. I haven't ever heard anybody ever say a trip to Duke went badly though.

That's obnoxious. Who still gives anonymous negative feedback here? :mad:

And frankly, you're right. I mean, I'm sure he's just tired of being on the road - probably understandably so - and I can't really hate on a kid for posting a status update on his personal twitter account... BUT, if a 2 hour flight/6 hour drive outweighs your excitement for visiting the Duke Basketball program and being the honorary person guest of Coach K and co., then I can't imagine the prospect of playing for Duke is very exciting or desirable to you.

Hopefully K sold him and sold him well today because I'd love to have him; otherwise, this is starting to feel more like the Tyler Adams saga, and I hope we move the full-court press on to Mitch McGary. The impression I get is that Mr. and Mrs. Parker are more interested in Duke than Tony... hopefully that changes.

NSDukeFan
06-28-2011, 07:51 AM
That's obnoxious. Who still gives anonymous negative feedback here? :mad:

And frankly, you're right. I mean, I'm sure he's just tired of being on the road - probably understandably so - and I can't really hate on a kid for posting a status update on his personal twitter account... BUT, if a 2 hour flight/6 hour drive outweighs your excitement for visiting the Duke Basketball program and being the honorary person guest of Coach K and co., then I can't imagine the prospect of playing for Duke is very exciting or desirable to you.

Hopefully K sold him and sold him well today because I'd love to have him; otherwise, this is starting to feel more like the Tyler Adams saga, and I hope we move the full-court press on to Mitch McGary. The impression I get is that Mr. and Mrs. Parker are more interested in Duke than Tony... hopefully that changes.

Wouldn't this be the opposite of the Tyler Adams saga? Tyler committed early without having visited campus or developing much of a relationship with the staff (I am making an assumption here as compared to other Duke recruits) and then reconsidered later. Parker has been recruited by Duke for awhile now, has made it to campus, is developing a relationship with the staff and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to commit. This doesn't feel at all like Tyler Adams (which was a pretty short saga) except they are both solid power forwards.

I agree that McGary would be nice, or Parker or whatever big the staff feels would be a good addition and the big guy agrees.

CharlestonDevil
06-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Two important things to remember:
1) Tony just said Duke was already in his top 3.
2) Of those three (Duke, OSU, and Memphis) we are the closest.

If TP wasn't pumped about his unofficial visit then it's not because of the traveling distance. But this situation definitely tends to make me think he has already settled on OSU. We'll see how it plays out I guess. I have total faith in K and know he will find the right Big(s) regardless.

gam7
06-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Two important things to remember:
1) Tony just said Duke was already in his top 3.
2) Of those three (Duke, OSU, and Memphis) we are the closest.

If TP wasn't pumped about his unofficial visit then it's not because of the traveling distance. But this situation definitely tends to make me think he has already settled on OSU. We'll see how it plays out I guess. I have total faith in K and know he will find the right Big(s) regardless.

Given how long Duke has been recruiting him, I suspect he knows pretty much all there is to know about what Duke offers with one possible exception: The big difference between this visit and any previous visit of his is the involvement of Jeff Capel. Although I am sure Capel has spoken to him by phone, I expect Capel to spend a lot of time with him on this trip and suspect that a change in the order of Tony's list will be the result of his interactions with Capel. That's what I will be looking for if/when we hear from Tony about how this visit goes.

Greg_Newton
06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Wouldn't this be the opposite of the Tyler Adams saga? Tyler committed early without having visited campus or developing much of a relationship with the staff (I am making an assumption here as compared to other Duke recruits) and then reconsidered later. Parker has been recruited by Duke for awhile now, has made it to campus, is developing a relationship with the staff and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to commit. This doesn't feel at all like Tyler Adams (which was a pretty short saga) except they are both solid power forwards.

I agree that McGary would be nice, or Parker or whatever big the staff feels would be a good addition and the big guy agrees.

Yeah, I meant that more in the sense that their feelings towards Duke are the same; Tyler's father was pushing Duke very strongly, and after decommitting, Tyler made a few anti-Duke tweets.

Now, I get the impression that Parker has more class than that - he's not going to commit then decommit, and I doubt he'll blatantly disrespect Duke if he goes elsewhere - but I get the feeling it's the same dynamic. Parents strongly pushing a kid one way, but when the rubber meets the road, it's not where his heart's at.

I could be wrong (hope I am), but that's the impression I've gotten over time from Parker's tweets, interviews, other things I've heard.

(Summary: I really need to stop following recruiting so obsessively... :rolleyes:)

jimsumner
06-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I meant that more in the sense that their feelings towards Duke are the same; Tyler's father was pushing Duke very strongly, and after decommitting, Tyler made a few anti-Duke tweets.

Now, I get the impression that Parker has more class than that - he's not going to commit then decommit, and I doubt he'll blatantly disrespect Duke if he goes elsewhere - but I get the feeling it's the same dynamic. Parents strongly pushing a kid one way, but when the rubber meets the road, it's not where his heart's at.

I could be wrong (hope I am), but that's the impression I've gotten over time from Parker's tweets, interviews, other things I've heard.

(Summary: I really need to stop following recruiting so obsessively... :rolleyes:)

The twitter universe is fairly new. But I suspect excessive parsing of tweets is a quick road to madness. :)

Indoor66
06-29-2011, 07:22 AM
The twitter universe is fairly new. But I suspect excessive parsing of tweets is a quick road to madness. :)

I would go further and say that parsing tweets is madness.

dukeballboy88
06-29-2011, 07:42 AM
He might have ben like "Man I got to go out of town again tomorrow? I just wanted to chill with my girl today but oh well. Can you schedule it for next week? You already khow I love Duke!"

Greg_Newton
06-29-2011, 07:03 PM
He might have ben like "Man I got to go out of town again tomorrow? I just wanted to chill with my girl today but oh well. Can you schedule it for next week? You already khow I love Duke!"

Two problems with this, though... we don't already know he loves Duke, because he recently - and very explicitly - said he currently favors OSU, when he hasn't even been there and they haven't been recruiting him nearly as hard. And second, can you picture any of the enthusiastic, all-in guys we have our program not being at all exciting about visiting Duke for the second time in HS just because they're tired or want to do something else?

I mean, 99.999% of HS basketball players would KILL for opportunity to spend a weekend inside the Duke basketball program as the honored guest and be courted by Coach K; it's not like it's "just another trip". If something like jet lag or a girlfriend is enough to kill any excitement for that, it doesn't exactly scream positive things at me, especially coupled with comments like "a lot of the things [Coach K] was telling me were fairly true", etc. I hope I'm dead wrong, but if he doesn't appreciate the one in a million opportunity he has, let's move on to someone who will.

And Jim... I'm afraid that ship sailed a long time ago. However, I know that road like the back of my hand, so call me if you need directions! :p

fgb
06-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Two problems with this, though... we don't already know he loves Duke, because he recently - and very explicitly - said he currently favors OSU, when he hasn't even been there and they haven't been recruiting him nearly as hard. And second, can you picture any of the enthusiastic, all-in guys we have our program not being at all exciting about visiting Duke for the second time in HS just because they're tired or want to do something else?

I mean, 99.999% of HS basketball players would KILL for opportunity to spend a weekend inside the Duke basketball program as the honored guest and be courted by Coach K; it's not like it's "just another trip". If something like jet lag or a girlfriend is enough to kill any excitement for that, it doesn't exactly scream positive things at me, especially coupled with comments like "a lot of the things [Coach K] was telling me were fairly true", etc. I hope I'm dead wrong, but if he doesn't appreciate the one in a million opportunity he has, let's move on to someone who will.

And Jim... I'm afraid that ship sailed a long time ago. However, I know that road like the back of my hand, so call me if you need directions! :p

completely agree. if there's one thing i've learned about managing personnel, it's that if someone isn't openly enthusiastic about being a part of the team, move on and hire someone else, no matter the talent level. it's better to take on people with potential who want to be there and teach them excellence.

dukeballboy88
06-30-2011, 07:43 AM
I completely agree, I was just trying to make a positive out of what im seeing as a negative. If he aint all in then I dont want him either. Although, I think he is in elite talent that will look good in Duke Blue.

I dont think TP is feeling Duke right now as much as OSU but whatever he decides I wish him the best. Plus, with as many bigs as it is in the 12 class, I dont think losing him is all that bad.

superdave
06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Parker enjoyed his visit (http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/06/28/parker-visits-duke-lists-3-schools/) and anticipates making his decision in December, and continues to list Duke, Memphis, OSU as those recruiting him the hardest.

oldnavy
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
I don't know, but from reading this interview for Zagora, TP seems just to be laid back. He just may be the kind of kid that doesn't get to fired up about much of anything. Like when I ask my 18 year old about some event he has attended the standard reply is "it was alright"....

If he comes I will pull really hard for him, if he doesn't I won't.

wilko
06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
If he comes I will pull really hard for him, if he doesn't I won't.

Somehow this line reminds me of this bit From Amadeus
Emperor Joseph II: "Well, there it is."

bluedevil007
08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Parker is in Memphis with both his parents for his third visit and there is some buzz from the many knowledgeable Memphis fans around me that a commit may be imminent. I know many have written Parker off and it seems with good reason. Best of luck to the young man if this is the path he chooses.

http://memphisroar.com/2011/08/big-man-on-campus/

lotusland
08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Parker is in Memphis with both his parents for his third visit and there is some buzz from the many knowledgeable Memphis fans around me that a commit may be imminent. I know many have written Parker off and it seems with good reason. Best of luck to the young man if this is the path he chooses.

So who's left if we miss on McGary?

yancem
08-11-2011, 05:08 PM

Not that I doubt that he will ultimately end up at Memphis but I have always gotten the impression that he wanted to take his official visits, so the announcement may not be imminent. At this point, I'm really hoping for McGary but I'm not all that confident in landing him either.

gumbomoop
08-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Take a worst-case-roster-scenario for 2012-13: no more Miles [graduates]; Mason, Austin, and Seth [unlikely, true, just worse case] head for the NBA, or Euroball, or the beaches of Australia, whatever; and no additional recruits, zero.

We're left with:

PG - Thornton, Cook
Wings - Dawkins, Gbinije, Murphy, Sulaimon
Interior - Kelly, Hairston, Plumlee (Murphy)

Preseason #8-10. We're gold, every year.

yancem
08-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Take a worst-case-roster-scenario for 2012-13: no more Miles [graduates]; Mason, Austin, and Seth [unlikely, true, just worse case] head for the NBA, or Euroball, or the beaches of Australia, whatever; and no additional recruits, zero.

We're left with:

PG - Thornton, Cook

Not sure that that team is #8-10, top 20 maybe but iI'm not sure I see top 10. Thornton would be quality pg and Cook could be a top flight pg by then. Dawkins could be a star and both Murphy and Gbinije will definitely be good but probably not stars quite yet. The biggest concern is down low. Kelly could become a star but he isn't a true low post player. Hairston can develop into a solid 4 but probably will have some trouble with top 4's and MP3 isn't likely to be better than Mason was as a sophomore. A good team to be sure but not a lot of star power and the likely go to scorer (Dawkins) isn't terribly adept at creating his own shots (or at least not so far). Now if Curry and/or Mason return and/or we sign Shabazz, Parker, or McGary, then top 10 is very doable.

Bluedevil114
08-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Not sure that that team is #8-10, top 20 maybe but iI'm not sure I see top 10. Thornton would be quality pg and Cook could be a top flight pg by then. Dawkins could be a star and both Murphy and Gbinije will definitely be good but probably not stars quite yet. The biggest concern is down low. Kelly could become a star but he isn't a true low post player. Hairston can develop into a solid 4 but probably will have some trouble with top 4's and MP3 isn't likely to be better than Mason was as a sophomore. A good team to be sure but not a lot of star power and the likely go to scorer (Dawkins) isn't terribly adept at creating his own shots (or at least not so far). Now if Curry and/or Mason return and/or we sign Shabazz, Parker, or McGary, then top 10 is very doable.

But then again, who thought that we would win a National Championship with:

PG Jon Scheyer (Sr.)
SG Nolan Smith (Jr.)
SF Kyle Singler (Jr.)
PF Lance Thomas (Sr.)
C Brian Zoubek (Sr.)

*** With Freshman Dawkins as our first player off the bench to help our depth in the backcourt with an early departure of G and transfer of E. Williams. I think Sheed will be really good. I know we need a big but stranger things have happened. Butler to back to back championships and their talent level was really not top ten.

Go Duke!!

licc85
08-12-2011, 06:49 AM

I have really high expectations of MP3, he seems much more of a unique player than MP1 and Mp2, who are more or less the same type of bigs. Coach K has been raving about Marshall's motor and enthusiasm, which I think are attributes that Miles and Mason just don't really have. Of the 3, I think Marshall will be the best rebounder. Just my hunch, but Marshall strikes me as a true center, whereas Miles and Mason are converted 4s. Don't get me wrong, Mason is probably the most talented of the 3, but don't sleep on Marshall, he's got loads of potential. Of course, anything could happen, but a guy willing to work this hard should really improve between his first and second year, and I have high hopes for the kid.

yancem
08-12-2011, 08:56 AM
But then again, who thought that we would win a National Championship with:

PG Jon Scheyer (Sr.)
SG Nolan Smith (Jr.)
SF Kyle Singler (Jr.)
PF Lance Thomas (Sr.)
C Brian Zoubek (Sr.)

*** With Freshman Dawkins as our first player off the bench to help our depth in the backcourt with an early departure of G and transfer of E. Williams. I think Sheed will be really good. I know we need a big but stranger things have happened. Butler to back to back championships and their talent level was really not top ten.

Go Duke!!

True but that team was starting 3 seniors and 2 juniors. The line up in question for next year would have 2 seniors 2 sophomores and either a junior or another sophomore. Plus it would have only 9 scholarship players which provides little depth or room for injury (granted 2010 had the same issue). Like I said it could be a good team and a couple of those sophomores have a lot of potential that could get realized sooner rather than later but I personally wouldn't be setting in money on the table just yet.

yancem
08-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I have really high expectations of MP3, he seems much more of a unique player than MP1 and Mp2, who are more or less the same type of bigs. Coach K has been raving about Marshall's motor and enthusiasm, which I think are attributes that Miles and Mason just don't really have. Of the 3, I think Marshall will be the best rebounder. Just my hunch, but Marshall strikes me as a true center, whereas Miles and Mason are converted 4s. Don't get me wrong, Mason is probably the most talented of the 3, but don't sleep on Marshall, he's got loads of potential. Of course, anything could happen, but a guy willing to work this hard should really improve between his first and second year, and I have high hopes for the kid.

You have a decent point and I want to agree but I also remember everyone singing the praises of Mason before he played his first game and didn't Miles look like our starting center in preseason his freshman year (I believe he did start the first couple of games before loosing the position). I have high hopes for MP3 but so far his two older brothers haven't list up to some of their hype so I am hesitant to buy in to MP3's before I actually see him play. I hope you are right though.

Lord Ash
08-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Back in the beginning of the Era of Plumlee, when Miles first got to Duke, everyone said Marshall had the most potential of the three brothers. Mason eventually took over that spot for some time, but I wouldn't be shocked if Marshall ended up being pretty good.

devildeac
08-12-2011, 09:55 AM

We're left with:

PG - Thornton, Cook

We'll have a Plumlee named Murphy that year:rolleyes:? Where have they been hiding him?
(jk-I know you mean Alex Murphy)
That makes sense but certainly makes the need for another guy in the back court a high priority, too. But, then again, Sulaimon has also been discussed as a PG/2G or hybrid, IIRC.

gumbomoop
08-12-2011, 12:20 PM
We'll have a Plumlee named Murphy that year:rolleyes:? Where have they been hiding him?
That makes sense but certainly makes the need for another guy in the back court a high priority, too. But, then again, Sulaimon has also been discussed as a PG/2G or hybrid, IIRC.

No, no, I did mean the youngest of the Plumlees: Miles, Mason, Marshall, and Murphy. I just assumed that Murphy Plumlee would be following his cousins to Durham. Hiding? Well, I think he's flying way under the radar, playing this his senior year in Armenia, IIRC. But if Murph Plumlee matriculates elsewhere, then, yes, Early AM could give us some PT on the inside. He's got lots of game, will have added a few pounds by 2012-'13 campaign, will have stretched to 6'8 3/4" or so, and so could be a stretch 4, in a stretch.

As for Sulaimon, I [might be serious this time and] consider Sulaimon absolutely a backcourt player, as I tend to think of inside and perimeter. Inside is 4/5s, perimeter is 1/2/3s/PG/wings. Sulaimon, so my eyes tell me, reconfirmed by guru-rumors, is a combo-guard, mostly a wing/2, but certainly capable of some time at PG should either Thornton or Cook sustain an injury. I think gurus have moved Sulaimon up in rankings because he's improved his handle, to go along with smarts, shot, aggressiveness, D, leadership.

devildeac
08-14-2011, 09:57 AM

No, no, I did mean the youngest of the Plumlees: Miles, Mason, Marshall, and Murphy. I just assumed that Murphy Plumlee would be following his cousins to Durham. Hiding? Well, I think he's flying way under the radar, playing this his senior year in Armenia, IIRC. But if Murph Plumlee matriculates elsewhere, then, yes, Early AM could give us some PT on the inside. He's got lots of game, will have added a few pounds by 2012-'13 campaign, will have stretched to 6'8 3/4" or so, and so could be a stretch 4, in a stretch.

As for Sulaimon, I [might be serious this time and] consider Sulaimon absolutely a backcourt player, as I tend to think of inside and perimeter. Inside is 4/5s, perimeter is 1/2/3s/PG/wings. Sulaimon, so my eyes tell me, reconfirmed by guru-rumors, is a combo-guard, mostly a wing/2, but certainly capable of some time at PG should either Thornton or Cook sustain an injury. I think gurus have moved Sulaimon up in rankings because he's improved his handle, to go along with smarts, shot, aggressiveness, D, leadership.

HA! We were both wrong. I was incorrect in prodding you with my feeble attempts at humor (or humour or should it be humer:rolleyes:) and you were incorrect thinking there was yet one more male Plumlee the younger (or youngest) named Murphy. As you will see from the linked article (if you have the patience to read to about the middle of it), you will discover there is a Plumlee the younger/est, BUT, it's Maddee and she appears to be a stand-out VB player for St. Mary's, one of the private HS here in Raleighwood. (Wonder if she can play PG, too...)

http://www.northraleighnews.com/2011/08/14/9357/a-fall-season-full-of-action.html

Just in case the link does not compute, here's the quote:

"Maddy Plumlee, Saint Mary's: Yes, those Plumlees. The younger sister of the Marshall, Mason and Miles Plumlee of Duke basketball fame is a 6-foot-1 sophomore outside hitter."

(Hopefully, that keeps me out of plagiarism trouble:eek:.)

gumbomoop
08-14-2011, 02:54 PM
HA! We were both wrong. I was incorrect in prodding you with my feeble attempts at humor (or humour or should it be humer:rolleyes:) and you were incorrect thinking there was yet one more male Plumlee the younger (or youngest) named Murphy. As you will see from the linked article (if you have the patience to read to about the middle of it), you will discover there is a Plumlee the younger/est, BUT, it's Maddee and she appears to be a stand-out VB player for St. Mary's, one of the private HS here in Raleighwood. (Wonder if she can play PG, too...)

Let me respond in 3 ways; choose whichever one makes sense [and good luck]:

1. Kind sir, I most certainly was not incorrect. Flying way, way below the radar though he may be, Murph Plumlee, cousin to the MPs, is expected to star for his HS team in Vanadzor, Armenia, then matriculate to an American university in August 2012.

2. But then again, maybe I was wrong, as noted by the bolded phrase here....

No, no, I did mean the youngest of the Plumlees: Miles, Mason, Marshall, and Murphy. I just assumed that Murphy Plumlee would be following his cousins to Durham. Hiding? Well, I think he's flying way under the radar, playing this his senior year in Armenia, IIRC

3. Or maybe something else was going on.....

As for Sulaimon, I [might be serious this time].....

licc85
08-14-2011, 02:57 PM
So . . . this thread got completely off track. Is Tony really that interested in us anymore? I feel like the only reason we made his top 3 was because we are his parent's top choice. I get the feeling it's going to be Memphis or OSU.

superdave
09-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Coach K visited Tony (http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2011/09/20/dukes-coach-k-makes-personal-appearance-to-scout-atlanta-basketball-star/) last night in ATL. Parker has his official visits to UCLA and Duke later this month according to the article.

Newton_14
11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Bump back to the top. With MM gone to UM, time to focus on Mr. Parker. We seem to be in good shape here. Hopefully he pulls the trigger for Duke soon!

dukedoc
11-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks for bumping this up to the top. Seems like there have been some very positive vibes recently from some sources that I know are not just trying to get hits (like Watzone etc). Tony would be a really great fit, and it's not just in the wake of losing out on Mitch. Tony has a different game than Mitch, and a game that I think would be particularly fruitful in the context of the sharp shooting guards we have.

How positive (or negative for that matter, I suppose) are people feeling?

J4Kop99
11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Has Parker narrowed his list down? Other than Duke, what are some other schools that have been talked about?

dukerules
11-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for bumping this up to the top. Seems like there have been some very positive vibes recently from some sources that I know are not just trying to get hits (like Watzone etc). Tony would be a really great fit, and it's not just in the wake of losing out on Mitch. Tony has a different game than Mitch, and a game that I think would be particularly fruitful in the context of the sharp shooting guards we have.

How positive (or negative for that matter, I suppose) are people feeling?

I am not feeling really positive after reading everything on the board here however I would be elated if they did end up getting Tony Parker. I love the Plumlees athleticism, however I miss a back to the basket player that can dominate down low and help get the team a win on a poor outside shooting night. However, even if Duke does not get Tony Parker, I trust what Coach K does and won't worry too much, at least not more than the average poster :D.

JasonEvans
11-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Has Parker narrowed his list down? Other than Duke, what are some other schools that have been talked about?

I believe it has been reported that Duke and Ohio State are his leaders, but UCLA fans still seem to think they have a good shot and Memphis is still in it. I think most recruiting experts would rank them in that order: Duke, OSU, UCLA, Memphis.

We got the last visit, just last weekend, and many say that is a good sign.

-Jason "hopefully, we will hear something soon" Evans

dukedoc
11-03-2011, 11:13 PM
A big bugaboo of Tony's recruitment (at least from my limited perspective as an interested observer) is that he has rarely (if ever) been effusive in his praise of Coach K/Duke, and in fact has often sounded lukewarm or perhaps even subtly negative about Duke. In the hypersensitive world of recruiting speculation, people (including myself) have often been guilty of perhaps reading too much into these utterings/twitterings. Does anyone know if Tony has been particularly complimentary of OSU/Memphis/UCLA? Or, is the poker-face even-keeled never-get-too-excited approach just his presentation across the board?

-bdbd
11-03-2011, 11:47 PM
A big bugaboo of Tony's recruitment (at least from my limited perspective as an interested observer) is that he has rarely (if ever) been effusive in his praise of Coach K/Duke, and in fact has often sounded lukewarm or perhaps even subtly negative about Duke. In the hypersensitive world of recruiting speculation, people (including myself) have often been guilty of perhaps reading too much into these utterings/twitterings. Does anyone know if Tony has been particularly complimentary of OSU/Memphis/UCLA? Or, is the poker-face even-keeled never-get-too-excited approach just his presentation across the board?

I don't recall reading anything really demonstrative out of TP re any of the coaches recruiting him. I don't think he's been as open as, say, MM was in sharing his thoughts throughout the recruiting process. But I'll leave it at this: The majority of the industry gurus - those folks who make a living studying ALL of those hinting comments (real or imagined) of all the major recruits, parsing every passing utterance for hints as to his leanings - those gurus generally seem to think that Duke has the best shot of landing him. But that's not to say that it couldn't easily go another way - OSU or UCLA particularly. (My sense was that Memphis faded a little lately maybe.) But I think you can also take as an indicator of Duke's staff's expectations in the significant investmwnt of time made by Coach K personally. That doesn't happen unless you think that you are really in the thick of it, with at least an equal shot (and maybe even a little better) vs the other schools.

Who knows, but the vibe is clearly much more positive heading down the home stretch for TP than it was for MM. I'm sure we'll know very soon... Probably next week.

:rolleyes:

dukedoc
11-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Who knows, but the vibe is clearly much more positive heading down the home stretch for TP than it was for MM. I'm sure we'll know very soon... Probably next week.

:rolleyes:

Indeed - it's definitely a good thing to be finishing strong - we shall see if it truly pays off. It seemed like Mitch struggled to overcome some of the misperceptions/stereotypes people have about Duke big men. There was an explicit comment to that effect in his last blog. I don't believe that was a key part of his decision, I think it was the pro-Michigan factors rather than the anti-Duke factors, but it couldn't have helped.

I just hope Tony will take it upon himself to be the one to come into the Durham and dispel those myths forever (similar to Mitch wanting to go to Michigan to be the one to "transform" the program). Everyone wants a legacy. To me, he appears to be a great candidate to do just that. The big man Catch 22 -- you can't dispel myths without attracting a great big man, but you can't easily attract a big man in the throes of such myths -- hopefully will be broken up by this burly and capable young man from the Peach State.

MCFinARL
11-04-2011, 08:27 AM

On the other hand, Mitch McGary WAS effusive in his praise of Coach K, and he still went to Michigan. So I agree with your conclusion that it's easy to "read too much into these utterings." The vibes generally seem good; let's cross our fingers and hope they lead to a good outcome.

HCheek37
11-04-2011, 08:52 AM
How about TP and Shabazz make a deal....we get one, UCLA gets one and everyone goes home happy. After losing MM I think K's focus (if it wasn't already) has to be on Parker. This guy would give us a dynamic we haven't seen in awhile and free up whichever Plumlees are around to play more in a role like John Henson does or Ed Davis did.

nmduke2001
11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I apologize because I'm sure that this was covered somewhere, I just can't seem to find it this morning; why did we stop recruiting Alex Poythress? He was on the same AAU team as Tony Parker and seems like a great recruit. I know we have Silent G and Murphy, but Poythress seems like a great recruit.

Deathby3
11-04-2011, 10:14 AM
This guy would give us a dynamic we haven't seen in awhile and free up whichever Plumlees are around to play more in a role like John Henson does or Ed Davis did.

So you think a switch can be flipped on and then the Plumlee's will suddenly become great shot blockers? Neither Miles or Mason are particularly light on their feet. Both can run fast and jump high, but IMHO, neither has finesse in their game. The P's are big bodied bangers and they maybe able to block shots, but their body type and their style play will keep them from performing defensively like Ed Davis and John Henson play. They are different players. They are more like mobile Zoubek's.

Expectations have been high for the two P's since they arrived. Offensively, neither have consistently produced. At some point, expectations are either meet or they are reevaluated. Mason's offense must be greatly improved if he will ever play in the NBA. Will the Duke PG get him the ball this year? I remember thinking that last year was going to be his year. Irving's injury robbed him of a breakout season. Mason isn't a player that creates his own shot. Kyrie was the type of PG that could penetrate and then create an opportunity for a dish. Does this years Duke team have a PG that can create for Mason? I think AR can penetrate, but like Nolan, he will be more likely to shoot than pass. If not, he will continue to score off of offensive rebounds and never truly develop offensively.

bob blue devil
11-04-2011, 10:27 AM
is my impression correct here? ohio state & duke are the leaders, with memphis still in the picture? he plans to announce next week?

Bluedog
11-04-2011, 10:27 AM
This guy would give us a dynamic we haven't seen in awhile and free up whichever Plumlees are around to play more in a role like John Henson does or Ed Davis did.

I definitely want TP to commit to Duke and think he'd be a great addition, but I find it a bit humorous that so many seem to think he's guaranteed to be the next Shelden/Elton/Boozer. Those players are very rare. While he has potential to do that, it's far from a sure thing. Tony is rated 22nd in the nation in his high school class according to RSCI (which takes the composite of several sites). For comparison, Mason was 18th and Kelly was 14th - both higher than TP. Despite being ranked so highly, both MP2 and Kelly played limited minutes their freshman year and still haven't demonstrated the consistent ability to create their own shot game in and game out (there have certainly been flashes of that though).

I realize that from a stylistic standpoint, Tony is more like Elton than Mason or Kelly is, but still the comparisons are a bit premature in my opinion. (It's good as a recruiting tactic, though.) I haven't seen Tony play in person so can't say for sure (but have seen highlight videos which aren't that informative), but clearly Kelly and Mason were destroying opponents in high school as well with easy buckets (otherwise, they wouldn't have been ranked so highly). Tony is a key recruit and would help us to achieve our goals - I definitely believe that. But, at the same time, I think it's not wise to think he'll come in and instantly dominate like Elton Brand. It's not likely to occur.

Having said all that, I guess the focus now should simply to get Tony in the truck and then we can worry about tempering expectations later. It sounds like he'd be a great fit and could contribute mightily. Come to Duke, Tony!

is my impression correct here? ohio state & duke are the leaders, with memphis still in the picture? he plans to announce next week?

He's playing it pretty close to the vest, so it's really hard to say who is a leader, but I guess most would agree with your assessment (and UCLA too, no?). He said in the past that he wants to make a decision prior to his high school season, which starts November 10. But he hasn't explicitly stated he's making the announcement next week.

moonpie23
11-04-2011, 10:38 AM
HWNSNBM broke just about every reasonable expectation of "predicting" where a recruit will go and why......I'd love for Tony to come to duke, but i'm not betting water on it till i see him in a duke uni...

Kedsy
11-04-2011, 11:49 AM
The big man Catch 22 -- you can't dispel myths without attracting a great big man, but you can't easily attract a big man in the throes of such myths -- hopefully will be broken up by this burly and capable young man from the Peach State.

See, I think the myth is that Duke can't recruit big men. In the past ten years, Duke has signed six big men (6'9" or taller; I'm not counting 6'8" wings) rated in the top 25 of their class (five of whom were rated higher than Tony Parker), plus two others rated in the top 40. That seems like a lot to me.

Skitzle
11-04-2011, 11:59 AM
HWNSNBM broke just about every reasonable expectation of "predicting" where a recruit will go and why......I'd love for Tony to come to duke, but i'm not betting water on it till i see him in a duke uni...

Voldemort? Seriously his name is Harrison Barnes. Since he decided to go to UNC Duke won a championship. Get over it.

dukedoc
11-04-2011, 12:08 PM
See, I think the myth is that Duke can't recruit big men. In the past ten years, Duke has signed six big men (6'9" or taller; I'm not counting 6'8" wings) rated in the top 25 of their class (five of whom were rated higher than Tony Parker), plus two others rated in the top 40. That seems like a lot to me.

Point taken. By "big man" I was referring to someone who is big, a man, and also adept at a certain type of "big man" play -- a la Boozer Brand. Not sure we've had one of those recently. Also, the whole big-men-only-set-screens-at-Duke thing. Those are the myths that are dragging us down, I think. The other big men we've attracted recently are certainly big, but don't directly counter those misconceptions that are so prevalent.

Billy Dat
11-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Voldemort? Seriously his name is Harrison Barnes. Since he decided to go to UNC Duke won a championship. Get over it.

I just opened my mailbox to see the Black Pigeon staring out at me from the cover of ESPN the Magazine. Almost involuntarily, I ripped it off and tore it to shreds in front of my astonished neighbor who was also getting her mail. It felt great, it really did.

-bdbd
11-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I apologize because I'm sure that this was covered somewhere, I just can't seem to find it this morning; why did we stop recruiting Alex Poythress? He was on the same AAU team as Tony Parker and seems like a great recruit. I know we have Silent G and Murphy, but Poythress seems like a great recruit.

Nothing official, but a (fairly) informed opinion:

1. We had a potential scholarship crunch this year and next.
2. We are in VERY good with at least one even better player in the 2013 class who has/have a very similar skill set.
3. It is possible that the "recruiting violation" baloney targeted at K's mid-week call to him to offer the scholarship (did it or didn't it fall between to AAU events??) that was being screamed about by all of the 'haters' was not worth the headache.

Dukehky
11-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Parker was walking around the campus and basketball facilities with Nate Dogg last weekend and seemed having a great time with hopefully one of his future coaches. Clearly if Duke is one of his final choices, he's going to like who he's around, and K is putting the most ept person to recruit him at this point, but I think with the addition of Capel, his connections with great power forwards (HEY BLAKE!!!!), we have a great shot at landing more of these offensive, post threat type bigs. Brand was a can't miss type of recruit, so its both unfair and unwise to expect similar things. Also, K has made a point of saying that the offense should run through the bigs this year, hopefully this works, but also can be an effective tool in dispelling some of the myths made about the roles of Duke men as of late. I have the upmost faith in Nate Dogg, I mean, he pretty much brought us Carrick Felix, I have a good feeling that this will be Nate's first real "snag" of his recruiting/coaching career. I like Parker's size, McGary reminded me of a bigger version of mcbob, no thanks.

SilkyJ
11-04-2011, 01:52 PM
3. It is possible that the "recruiting violation" baloney targeted at K's mid-week call to him to offer the scholarship (did it or didn't it fall between to AAU events??) that was being screamed about by all of the 'haters' was not worth the headache.

1st two are right, this last one has absolutely nothing to do with. For 1, if you commit a recruiting violation then stop recruiting the kid, that doesn't absolve you. You are still just as reprehensible for a violation.

But really, there was no headache. K said he never heard from the NCAA on the issue. The issue was minor and was in a very, very gray area and frankly no one at the NCAA gave a crap. Agents are running rampant, coaches are paying players, the NCAA is being sued by former players, expansion/contraction is occurring, the pay the players debate is gaining steam...in the midst of these issues, I can assure you no one at the NCAA gives a crap about about coach K calling a recruit (or the recruit calling him, actually) after he finished an AAU event and hadn't started the next one.

slower
11-04-2011, 02:49 PM
McGary reminded me of a bigger version of mcbob, no thanks.

Ah, more McBob hate. Personally, I'd welcome another McBob with open arms. If he'd had a healthy back, I think our view of him would be much different. Just my opinion.

DukieInBrasil
11-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I have the upmost faith in Nate Dogg, I mean, he pretty much brought us Carrick Felix, I have a good feeling that this will be Nate's first real "snag" of his recruiting/coaching career. I like Parker's size, McGary reminded me of a bigger version of mcbob, no thanks.
If by pretty much bringing us Carrick Felix you mean not getting him at all, then you're right. Besides, CF ended up having a pretty middling year on a middle of the pack team. Not sure why we should get worked up over a player who didn't come here and who would have had a pretty minor impact on the team.
As far as Josh goes, you might be forgetting how much pressure and hype was placed on him by fans (that's right, me AND you) to carry the team as a So. with ZERO, nada, zilch in the way of Seniors and one lone Jr on the team. And despite that, he led the team in points and rebs. Perhaps the way his attitude came through the tv screen annoyed you, but believe me, if there had been a real problem with him, K would not have played him. So if MM could come here and lead the team in pts and rebs as a hypothetical So. on a hypothetical squad with no Sr and 1 Jr to lead them, i'd say "thanks".

sagegrouse
11-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Ah, more McBob hate. Personally, I'd welcome another McBob with open arms. If he'd had a healthy back, I think our view of him would be much different. Just my opinion.

I would be happy to have Josh McRoberts on the team any year. McBob was 2nd team All-ACC in 2007. I think we would be really happy if one of or bigs was 2nd team All-ACC this year.

sagegrouse
'I expect us to have three players aong the 15 on the three All-ACC teams, but I have no idea who they would be. Candidates in my own mind are Mason, Ryan, Seth, Miles, Andre and Austin. Austin is getting the preseason ink, so, if he has the numbers, he is probably most likely'

nmduke2001
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Nothing official, but a (fairly) informed opinion:

1. We had a potential scholarship crunch this year and next.
2. We are in VERY good with at least one even better player in the 2013 class who has/have a very similar skill set.

1st two are right, this last one has absolutely nothing to do with. For 1, if you commit a recruiting violation then stop recruiting the kid, that doesn't absolve you. You are still just as reprehensible for a violation.

But really, there was no headache. K said he never heard from the NCAA on the issue. The issue was minor and was in a very, very gray area and frankly no one at the NCAA gave a crap. Agents are running rampant, coaches are paying players, the NCAA is being sued by former players, expansion/contraction is occurring, the pay the players debate is gaining steam...in the midst of these issues, I can assure you no one at the NCAA gives a crap about about coach K calling a recruit (or the recruit calling him, actually) after he finished an AAU event and hadn't started the next one.
Thank you both for the response. It always seemed weird to me that we stopped recruiting him.

Edouble
11-05-2011, 02:11 AM
I would be happy to have Josh McRoberts on the team any year.

Agreed.

Any big who regularly goes up for reverse alley-oop slams and can dribble around the back in a full court break at top speed is OK by me.

Don't understand why Josh is so disliked. I was screaming at Greg Paulus for most of that season.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Duke didn't drop Poythress, Poythress dropped Duke.

UNC didn't drop Shabazz Muhammad, Shabazz Muhammad dropped UNC.

As much as we'd like to believe it, we aren't "all that" to every recruit.

Faison1
11-05-2011, 07:56 AM

Frankly, I don't really care, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Poythress received an "email" from the Duke Staff informing him they were no longer recruiting him. And he responded by tweeting that "he was feeling unloved." Or something to that extent.

Again, I don't think it matters at all, but any opportunity to disagree with Wheat is an opportunity to feel good. J/K!

Hope you're doing well Wheat!

El_Diablo
11-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Duke told alex they wouldn't be recruiting him anymore mainly due to a scholarship crunch and the fact that they feel good about their three remaining targets.

Just so we're clear, Wheat...are you saying airowe is a liar? For you to make such a matter-of-fact assertion means that you must have been privy to the conversation that Coach K had with the recruit, so I should know better than to doubt you, but it makes me sad to think airowe has been lying to us about this. But I guess you know better, so thank you for setting us straight on this one!

BD80
11-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Just so we're clear, Wheat...are you saying airowe is a liar? For you to make such a matter-of-fact assertion means that you must have been privy to the conversation that Coach K had with the recruit, so I should know better than to doubt you, but it makes me sad to think airowe has been lying to us about this. But I guess you know better, so thank you for setting us straight on this one!

Lighten up Francis!

Wheat is one of the good guys. His color pallet is horribly skewed, but he is one of us - down deep (why do you dig graves 12' deep for tarheels?)

jimsumner
11-05-2011, 11:47 AM
My understanding is that Duke stopped recruiting Poythress, for a variety of reasons, one of which was that they didn't think he was a significant upgrade over Murphy and Gbinijie. Another was that Duke saw him as a Duke 4, he saw himself strictly as a wing.

Bluedog
11-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Poythress himself said that Duke stopped recruiting him and he was sent an email indicating so from the staff.

"Poythress...said Duke had been on his list but that coach Mike Krzyzewski had decided to stop recruiting him."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-09-27/top-recruit-alex-poythress-cuts-list-to-four

I don't know why Poythress would lie about that. I recall seeing a direct quote from him indicating an email was sent in an espn article but I can't seem to find it right now.

Greg_Newton
11-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah... Wheat is dead wrong here. A lot of the smart money was on Duke until they decided to stop recruiting him.

Really wish he'd bought into the "4" thing. He's going to be a monster.

Troublemaker
11-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Parker's a very important recruit. Certainly the program would move on and adjust and continue to field teams, and players already on the roster could step up and do well playing out of position a bit or Duke could land an amazing 2013 class, etc. etc., but none of those possibilities are mutually exclusive with Tony being a very important recruit. If the scale of recruit importance goes from 1 to 10, Parker is a 10, imo. I say that because:

(1) You'd be hard-pressed to find many recruits during the K era that Coach K and staff have recruited longer and harder than Tony. If nothing else, it'd just be nice to see all their efforts pay off. Those efforts also signal to me that Tony is underranked by recruiting sites right now.

(2) Duke wanted BOTH Parker and McGary to come and play together. That signals to me a "need" in the post for future years according to the coaching staff.

(3) With an Olympic year coming up in 2012, Duke's just not going to be able to recruit the 2013 class as hard as other programs next summer. Maybe that doesn't matter, and obviously Duke is putting in the work early with the 2013 class and there are a couple of studs in that class that we'd want regardless of anything that happens with 2012, but it'd be nice to alleviate the importance of that 2013 class a bit with a commitment from Parker. Fewer eggs in one basket.

(4) I'd say the less we need to rely on an undersized Kelly-Murphy (or Kelly-Hairston) frontcourt next year, the better. Likewise, the less we need to rely on a sophomore (or possibly redshirt freshman) MP3, the better. I don't expect a Brand-like impact from Parker because Brand was a #1 overall pick, but I do expect Parker to reduce non-ideal reliance on non-ideal options. He has the strength and width to be in the rotation right away unlike many lanky frosh big men. Even if he's just a 15-20 minute role player, that's up to 50% of a game that he's impacting with his size.

(5) It's not about the '12-'13 team, though. There's a cascading effect for seasons beyond that. I'd rather rely on a sophomore Parker in '13-'14 (who might then be on the verge of breaking out into a star) than a freshman big man, for example. He could impact several seasons for Duke and also impact recruiting by becoming that recent star who scores in the post for Duke, which our coaching staff could point to while recruiting future Tony Parkers. (Hopefully Miles and Mason will help with that this year, too).

Again, no one's jumping off a bridge or anything if he doesn't go here. But Duke wants him badly and there's a reason or two for that, imo.

Starter
11-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Parker's a very important recruit. Certainly the program would move on and adjust and continue to field teams, and players already on the roster could step up and do well playing out of position a bit or Duke could land an amazing 2013 class, etc. etc., but none of those possibilities are mutually exclusive with Tony being a very important recruit. If the scale of recruit importance goes from 1 to 10, Parker is a 10, imo. I say that because:

(1) You'd be hard-pressed to find many recruits during the K era that Coach K and staff have recruited longer and harder than Tony. If nothing else, it'd just be nice to see all their efforts pay off. Those efforts also signal to me that Tony is underranked by recruiting sites right now.

(2) Duke wanted BOTH Parker and McGary to come and play together. That signals to me a "need" in the post for future years according to the coaching staff.

(3) With an Olympic year coming up in 2012, Duke's just not going to be able to recruit the 2013 class as hard as other programs next summer. Maybe that doesn't matter, and obviously Duke is putting in the work early with the 2013 class and there are a couple of studs in that class that we'd want regardless of anything that happens with 2012, but it'd be nice to alleviate the importance of that 2013 class a bit with a commitment from Parker. Fewer eggs in one basket.

(4) I'd say the less we need to rely on an undersized Kelly-Murphy (or Kelly-Hairston) frontcourt next year, the better. Likewise, the less we need to rely on a sophomore (or possibly redshirt freshman) MP3, the better. I don't expect a Brand-like impact from Parker because Brand was a #1 overall pick, but I do expect Parker to reduce non-ideal reliance on non-ideal options. He has the strength and width to be in the rotation right away unlike many lanky frosh big men. Even if he's just a 15-20 minute role player, that's up to 50% of a game that he's impacting with his size.

(5) It's not about the '12-'13 team, though. There's a cascading effect for seasons beyond that. I'd rather rely on a sophomore Parker in '13-'14 (who might then be on the verge of breaking out into a star) than a freshman big man, for example. He could impact several seasons for Duke and also impact recruiting by becoming that recent star who scores in the post for Duke, which our coaching staff could point to while recruiting future Tony Parkers.

Again, no one's jumping off a bridge or anything if he doesn't go here. But Duke wants him badly and there's a reason or two for that, imo.

I'd say this post pretty much hits it on the head. Parker's a pretty important guy in the grand scheme of things, and point 1 up there -- perception -- is to me a significant aspect of that. Everyone knows Krzyzewski has primarily had his eggs in Parker's basket for a while now, going to see him three times and such. I'd love to see him close this one. Plus, like Troublemaker said, Parker's heft can really help out in terms of what would otherwise probably be a smallish frontcourt going forward.

dukedoc
11-05-2011, 02:48 PM

This is exactly what intrigues me most about Tony. Not the youtube videos or the rankings. Coach sees something special in Tony to the extent that he's given him the top-ten recruit type of recruiting treatment. I have a feeling that if Tony comes, he'll really blossom into more than what we might right now reasonably expect based on rankings and scouting reports alone. I trust K, and K has made clear how he feels about Tony.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-05-2011, 03:55 PM

No nothing like that...

It was a quick post from this AM and I only recalled him saying he he was no longer considering Duke...while the Duke offer was supposedly still out there.

It is certainly possible his reason was because Duke had backed off...if so, I stand corrected, but my overall point remains the same. Not every recruit is enamored with Duke and UNC.

CDu
11-05-2011, 06:48 PM
No nothing like that...

It was a quick post from this AM and I only recalled him saying he he was no longer considering Duke...while the Duke offer was supposedly still out there.

It is certainly possible his reason was because Duke had backed off...if so, I stand corrected, but my overall point remains the same. Not every recruit is enamored with Duke and UNC.

Or you could have misremembered... :)

But yes, not every recruit is enamored with Duke and/or UNC. And it may be that Poythress wouldn't have come to Duke anyway. But in this particular case, it appears that Duke backed away first.

rthomas
11-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I stand corrected, but my overall point remains the same. Not every recruit is enamored with Duke and UNC.

Obvious. Or Kentucky, or UConn, or University of Alaska. I think we can all agree with this statement.

UrinalCake
11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
(3) With an Olympic year coming up in 2012, Duke's just not going to be able to recruit the 2013 class as hard as other programs next summer.

A little off-topic here, but Coach K has refuted similar claims in the past by pointing out that his National Team committments all fall during recruiting dead periods, so he wouldn't be able to contact recruits anyways. I guess you could argue that any time spent doing something else is less time spent on recruiting, but I don't foresee it being an issue.

Also, you could always argue that coaching the Olympic team gives Coach K more visibility to recruits and therefore increases his chances of landing someone.

Devilsfan
11-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I guess you could argue that.

-bdbd
11-06-2011, 09:32 PM
A little off-topic here, but Coach K has refuted similar claims in the past by pointing out that his National Team committments all fall during recruiting dead periods, so he wouldn't be able to contact recruits anyways. I guess you could argue that any time spent doing something else is less time spent on recruiting, but I don't foresee it being an issue.

Also, you could always argue that coaching the Olympic team gives Coach K more visibility to recruits and therefore increases his chances of landing someone.

I guess you could argue that.

Yes, you could argue that quite effectively. To the point where many 'haters' stab a finger in K's direction and shout, "Unfair recruiting advantage!" in reference to his Olympic duty (and visibility). Actually, they also used to say that about his Amex commercials too.... until many of their coaches started doing the same thing... :rolleyes: (I'm in DC and have had to listen to more than one Terp fan/writer rant about that being "just another unfair Duke advantage...") *

But, yes, I've seen articles in the past from places not typically Duke-inclined, arguing that it isn't fair that K gets that visibility, pointing, as I recall, to him calling a couple of recruits from Beiing during the Olympics (soon after a televised game).

This is a topic that has been discussed at length in threads on these boards in the past, and while there was a lot of concern in his first couple of years doing the National team, I think it is fair to say that recruiting successes in the last few years have largely allayed those concerns among the Duke faithful.

It certainly isn't a "dead" issue, but I choose to see that glass as "half full."

* ....... I'm to the point where I just smile and nod, and then calmly explain that it was set up by the same folks who arranged the Kennedy assasination and then faked the moon landing.... :rolleyes:

dukedoc
11-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Early sign period begins Wednesday, I believe, and Tony's first game (an exhibition) is on Thursday. Haven't heard anything concrete about a decision/announcement, but hopefully soon... need something to counterbalance the Penn State sadness... a TP commitment and our first game this Friday would certainly help.

mkline09
11-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Just saw Arowe retweet a message that said that it doesn't look likely that Parker will committ on Wednesday.

dukedoc
11-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Just saw Arowe retweet a message that said that it doesn't look likely that Parker will committ on Wednesday.

Theoretically he could sign anytime between Wednesday and the 16th, correct?

I heard Kansas also dropped in on him within the last few days trying to make a last minute push, probably in the wake of losing out on Kaleb T. I don't imagine though that has anything to do with his not making a decision. Who knows...

mkline09
11-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Theoretically he could sign anytime between Wednesday and the 16th, correct?

I heard Kansas also dropped in on him within the last few days trying to make a last minute push, probably in the wake of losing out on Kaleb T. I don't imagine though that has anything to do with his not making a decision. Who knows...

Yes anytime from Wednesday since that is the beginning of the early signing period. Yeah I'm sure that would have any affect on his decions. Guess we'll all find out soon enough.

dukedoc
11-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Watzone tweeting a suggestion that a decision may be approaching:

@BlueDevilNation
Mark Watson
We're working on some Tony Parker news for ya! The big man could annouce his decison as early as this week on ESPNU.

dukedoc
11-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Or not...

@EvanDanielscout
Evan Daniels
Just talked to Tony Parker. He isn't planning to announce during the early period ...

Oriole Way
11-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Or not...

@EvanDanielscout
Evan Daniels
Just talked to Tony Parker. He isn't planning to announce during the early period ...

I would have preferred an early announcement, that way the staff could have identified new big man targets to pursue in the class. I think it's important for Duke to have a big man in this class, but I know several experts have mentioned that the staff is content to move on to 2013 if Parker doesn't come to Duke.

Either way, I'm disappointed that he's delaying his decision.

moonpie23
11-07-2011, 10:37 PM
me too....it would be awesome if Tony announced for Duke.......

Newton_14
11-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I would have preferred an early announcement, that way the staff could have identified new big man targets to pursue in the class. I think it's important for Duke to have a big man in this class, but I know several experts have mentioned that the staff is content to move on to 2013 if Parker doesn't come to Duke.

Either way, I'm disappointed that he's delaying his decision.

I am going to give Watzone the benefit of the doubt here over Evan Daniels. Watz would not have put that out there if he wasn't sure. Parker could have changed his mind of course, but I am interested to see Watzone's response to the Evan Daniels tweet before assuming Parker has definitely decided to wait.

Duvall
11-07-2011, 11:00 PM
I am going to give Watzone the benefit of the doubt here over Evan Daniels.

Daniels talked to, and obtained on-the-record quotes from Parker.

verga
11-07-2011, 11:39 PM
hasn't Tony played everyone in this recruitment, it seems to me he has? Who's to say that what he told Evan wasn't true, i believe it BUT just the same Tony could commit any moment. sometimes a player is much more valuable than his ranking (see Kyrie & Austin) i see Tony as a cornerstone of Duke teams that have a great chance at NCAA titles. Grant Hill was such a player, i knew when i saw Grant in hs that we would contend for national honors and i see the same for Tony.

dcar1985
11-08-2011, 12:27 AM
For what its worth Watzone still seems pretty confident if you read his tweets since Daniels' tweet.

Tony Parker is now saying he will wait unti December for a decison. Let's jusrt wait and see if that's the case.
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

@ACCSports @thedevilwolf Forget what he says and watch what he does.

In response to someone saying TP not signing during early signing period was a bad sign for Duke.

@DBlumen203 @DukeHoopBlog No, I don't think so. Let's watch what happens and not listen so much to what is said which can change.

superdave
11-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Zagoria article. (http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/11/08/parker-signing-late/) No new news.

UrinalCake
11-08-2011, 09:02 AM
I think he was quoted a while back as saying he wanted to make a decision before his senior season started, which is thursday. That has lead to people thinking he was going to announce wednesday. Everything and anything can change though, so we'll just have to continue to wait and see.

superdave
11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
6'8'' 245lb Shaq Goodwin declares for Memphis (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/nov/08/university-memphis-basketball-games-commitment-sha/). Tony Parker also has Memphis as a finalist, so this likely hurts their chances.

chrishoke
11-08-2011, 02:16 PM
6'8'' 245lb Shaq Goodwin declares for Memphis (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/nov/08/university-memphis-basketball-games-commitment-sha/). Tony Parker also has Memphis as a finalist, so this likely hurts their chances.

Excellent!

nocilla
11-08-2011, 02:49 PM

I would feel better about Tony if Shaq had declared for OSU.

-bdbd
11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
For what its worth Watzone still seems pretty confident if you read his tweets since Daniels' tweet.

Tony Parker is now saying he will wait unti December for a decison. Let's jusrt wait and see if that's the case.

@ACCSports @thedevilwolf Forget what he says and watch what he does.

In response to someone saying TP not signing during early signing period was a bad sign for Duke.

@DBlumen203 @DukeHoopBlog No, I don't think so. Let's watch what happens and not listen so much to what is said which can change.

Don't know if anyone noticed this snippet from the tail end of the above-linked Goodwin announcement from Memphis:

Another Memphis target, Clarksville (Tenn.) Northeast High forward Alex Poythress, will announce Thursday afternoon whether he's signing with Memphis, Florida, Kentucky or Vanderbilt.

Sigh. I had hoped that there was some small chance Duke might get back involved with Alex, who reportedly grew up as a Duke fan. 'guess not.

Come-on TP, pull that trigger (for Duke)!!

:D

wilko
11-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Sigh. I had hoped that there was some small chance Duke might get back involved with Alex, who reportedly grew up as a Duke fan. 'guess not.

I hear ya. I hope someone on the staff initiated an NCAA approved contact just to see if there was a chance....

superdave
11-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I hear ya. I hope someone on the staff initiated an NCAA approved contact just to see if there was a chance....

But didnt Duke stop recruiting Poythress? (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-09-27/top-recruit-alex-poythress-cuts-list-to-four) If so, why would they go back and give it one last shot?

wilko
11-08-2011, 04:24 PM
But didnt Duke stop recruiting Poythress? (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-09-27/top-recruit-alex-poythress-cuts-list-to-four) If so, why would they go back and give it one last shot?

Depends on the actual reason they STOPPED, I guess... (I don't assume to know). That's the key factor.

Maybe at the time they thought they had a better shot with MM than AP.
Maybe they just wanted some distance from the "alleged recruiting infraction".

When I realize I may have made a mistake, I'm not too proud to take steps to correct it. IF that's indeed the case here, (again I don't assume to know) I would hope someone on the staff still had his number handy. S' all I'm saying.

Maybe they dropped him for some other quite valid reason.. dunno.

superdave
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Depends on the actual reason they STOPPED, I guess... (I don't assume to know). That's the key factor.

Maybe at the time they thought they had a better shot with MM than AP.
Maybe they just wanted some distance from the "alleged recruiting infraction".

When I realize I may have made a mistake, I'm not too proud to take steps to correct it. IF that's indeed the case here, (again I don't assume to know) I would hope someone on the staff still had his number handy. S' all I'm saying.

Maybe they dropped him for some other quite valid reason.. dunno.

I'm guessing they felt pretty good about what they had in Gbinije and Murphy, and thought Poythress overlapped those skills too much. But I have not read that anywhere on the internets.

JasonEvans
11-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm guessing they felt pretty good about what they had in Gbinije and Murphy, and thought Poythress overlapped those skills too much.

It is my understanding that you are correct about that. Duke was interested in Poythress as primarily an inside guy but Alex made it clear he wanted to play largely on the perimeter. With Gbin and Murph, there was no real need for another wing.

-Jason "I have my sources..." Evans

Greg_Newton
11-08-2011, 10:13 PM
It is my understanding that you are correct about that. Duke was interested in Poythress as primarily an inside guy but Alex made it clear he wanted to play largely on the perimeter. With Gbin and Murph, there was no real need for another wing.

I also think staff's feelings re: 2013 changed a little. At one point, Poythress was coming around to the stretch-4 idea, I believe.

Newton_14
11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Daniels talked to, and obtained on-the-record quotes from Parker.

Yeah, I knew that when I went on record with my post backing Watzone. Out on the limb for sure. I just think it possible Watzone is closer to the Parker situation than Daniels is. Parker telling Daniels he was pushing the date out a bit, may not be a negative deal for Duke, or conflict with the good news Watzone was referencing, if that makes sense. Airowe thinks Duke is still in good shape with Parker as well.

OrangeDevil
11-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm guessing they felt pretty good about what they had in Gbinije and Murphy, and thought Poythress overlapped those skills too much. But I have not read that anywhere on the internets.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I hope it's because K has established Jabari Parker as a top priority. Everything I've read and heard indicates that he will hell on wheels. He MUST be in a Duke uni!

-bdbd
11-08-2011, 11:10 PM

Jason,

My bet is that this is not a bad signal regarding the staff's assessment of our chances with Jabari Parker and/or Julius Randle in the 2013 class. JP seems to have a very similar skill set to AP, and is currently much higher rated (within his own class). If that were true, that we were looking pretty good on that other front, then it might enable the staff to worry a little less about rolling the dice and passing on AP for this year. Fair enough?

JP eval comments on JP: After giving him pluses for superior athleticism, and scoring ability and size for the position (6'7" and 215 lbs), Scout calls him "A truly elite prospect, Jabari Parker has improved a great deal since making his way into high school." They continued that he "...has turned himself into an impressive all around athlete...can score in a variety of ways.... likes to attack off the dribble, can score through contact and has developed a low post game..." That sounds a lot like Alex Poythress to me.

Kedsy
11-09-2011, 12:14 AM
He MUST be in a Duke uni!

Oh, stop. Please. I mean, I hope he comes to Duke, but I'm really tired of "MUST."

OrangeDevil
11-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Oh, stop. Please. I mean, I hope he comes to Duke, but I'm really tired of "MUST."

Your sensitivities aside, he's a difference maker.

BD80
11-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Your sensitivities aside, he's a difference maker.

New heights of hyperbole: attributing sensitivities to Kedsy

MChambers
11-09-2011, 09:28 AM
He's completely insensitive?

nolan8or
11-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Parker waiting until December to announce can't be a good sign for us. I feel like if he was going to pick Duke he would have announced during or right after his official visit. Thoughts?

MChambers
11-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Parker waiting until December to announce can't be a good sign for us. I feel like if he was going to pick Duke he would have announced during or right after his official visit. Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry. A guy named Lance Thomas (rated similarly to Parker, albeit at a different position) waited until the spring and made a pretty good choice.

It's a tough decision for a kid. He should take his time. Given that Duke is the most stable program in college basketball, I think time is on our side.

wilko
11-09-2011, 09:59 AM
TP needs to do whats in his heart. If he comes and hes not that into it - It wont go well... for anyone.
For it to work and work well - he has to WANT to be here. And to that END, he should take as long as he needs to find his comfort zone.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he was paying EXTRA SPECIAL attention to our first handful of games to see how we use our bigs this year. Its been an openly stated objective to leverage our post assets more this year. More focus inside, that our bigs are ready to step up and produce more and all of that Jazz. You've all heard the same rhetoric going into this year. Time to walk the walk.

I think our early season games and post utilization will go a long way in attracting TP or guys cut from the same post cloth. In some ways it might be more beneficial for Duke to take some early season losses while forcing the issue the post. If MP1, MP2 and RK can avg. triple doubles, demonstrating individual player development/improvement, renewed post aggressiveness then Dukes position with TP will be much more solidified for a positive recruitment outcome, I believe. I hope we can have both successful post play and wins. I have to believe we can.

How old was this guy when Brand and Boozer played for Duke? I'm old, I remember it as not to long ago... For HIM, its prolly something he has never seen in his lifetime with his own eyes. No harm in SHOWING him. I cant blame him for waiting to see the product on the court.

Kedsy
11-09-2011, 10:00 AM

I'm actually very sensitive about my insensitivity.

BD80
11-09-2011, 10:07 AM

He's a lawyer.

oldnavy
11-09-2011, 10:17 AM
TP needs to do whats in his heart. If he comes and hes not that into it - It wont go well... for anyone.
For it to work and work well - he has to WANT to be here. And to that END, he should take as long as he needs to find his comfort zone.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he was paying EXTRA SPECIAL attention to our first handful of games to see how we use our bigs this year. Its been an openly stated objective to leverage our post assets more this year. More focus inside, that our bigs are ready to step up and produce more and all of that Jazz. You've all heard the same rhetoric going into this year. Time to walk the walk.

I think our early season games and post utilization will go a long way in attracting TP or guys cut from the same post cloth. In some ways it might be more beneficial for Duke to take some early season losses while forcing the issue the post. If MP1, MP2 and RK can avg. triple doubles, demonstrating individual player development/improvement, renewed post aggressiveness then Dukes position with TP will be much more solidified for a positive recruitment outcome, I believe. I hope we can have both successful post play and wins. I have to believe we can.

How old was this guy when Brand and Boozer played for Duke? I'm old, I remember it as not to long ago... For HIM, its prolly something he has never seen in his lifetime with his own eyes. No harm in SHOWING him. I cant blame him for waiting to see the product on the court.

You may be right about this, but I think it is the wrong way for TP or any player to look at the situation. What I mean is, you use the tools you have. Let's say for argument sake that we get better play and efficiency this year by working outside-in vice inside-out. That doesn't mean that should TP come and give us a different look and options that we wouldn't change and work inside-out with him. Coach K has proven over and over that he will use the talent he has in the best way to win. If TP is talented enough to have the offense go through him, then K will work it through him.

I hope he isn't looking at it the way you describe, but he could very well be.

sagegrouse
11-09-2011, 10:18 AM
He's a lawyer.

OK, do I have to do research for everyone on this Board? (Don't answer that!) Here it is, directly from the Horse's -- errr -- Mouth:

Kedsy Profile:

"novelist (formerly attorney, entrepeneur, computer programmer)"

I mean, doesn't novelist conjure up images of F. Scott Fitzgerald levels of sensitvity?

sagegrouse

UrinalCake
11-09-2011, 10:19 AM
That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he was paying EXTRA SPECIAL attention to our first handful of games to see how we use our bigs this year.

Good point; if I was a big man coming out of high school I'd want to see if Duke actually gives their big guys the ball. Hasn't happened enough lately. Also, I'd be really interested in how likely it is that Mason and/or Sullinger at OSU will leave. TP would have to wait until the spring to know for sure, but maybe he thinks the first couple months as well as the ongoing NBA negotiations will all give him more information to work with.

gam7
11-09-2011, 10:21 AM

I strongly disagree for several reasons. Duke should try to win. Period. If winning requires us to use our big men more now than in years past, then so be it. Using your current team to play to a recruit is not fair to the guys currently on the roster. Think about the precedent this would set. Also, we don't even know why Parker is delaying his decision. For all we know, he may be convinced that Duke would use him optimally but that he thinks he'd have more fun at another school. If that's the case, then stuffing the big guys like a thanksgiving turkey just to show him that we can do that would be irrelevant to his decision.

Kedsy
11-09-2011, 10:54 AM
OK, do I have to do research for everyone on this Board? (Don't answer that!) Here it is, directly from the Horse's -- errr -- Mouth:

Kedsy Profile:

"novelist (formerly attorney, entrepeneur, computer programmer)"

I mean, doesn't novelist conjure up images of F. Scott Fitzgerald levels of sensitvity?

sagegrouse

You guys know I can hear you, right?

UrinalCake
11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Duke should try to win. Period. If winning requires us to use our big men more now than in years past, then so be it. Using your current team to play to a recruit is not fair to the guys currently on the roster.

Coach K has already said on multiple occasions that we're going to use our big men more this year, and that they are the key to how far we'll go. I think this is the context in which the OP made his comments. Tony Parker knows that this is a year that we're supposed to showcase our big men, so he wants to see how well we do it. If our current roster were devoid of quality big guys then of course we wouldn't want to force them into a role that was beyond their capabilities...

BD80
11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
You guys know I can hear you, right?

I'm a lawyer. I don't care.

Kedsy
11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I think our early season games and post utilization will go a long way in attracting TP or guys cut from the same post cloth. In some ways it might be more beneficial for Duke to take some early season losses while forcing the issue the post.

I strongly disagree for several reasons. Duke should try to win. Period. If winning requires us to use our big men more now than in years past, then so be it. Using your current team to play to a recruit is not fair to the guys currently on the roster.

Coach K has already said on multiple occasions that we're going to use our big men more this year, and that they are the key to how far we'll go. I think this is the context in which the OP made his comments. Tony Parker knows that this is a year that we're supposed to showcase our big men, so he wants to see how well we do it. If our current roster were devoid of quality big guys then of course we wouldn't want to force them into a role that was beyond their capabilities...

If Coach K thinks we should showcase our big men, then I agree we should do it. It may just be phrasing, but I agree with gam7 and disagree with the idea of "forcing the issue the post," if it means we "take some early season losses." Especially if the motivation is recruiting (as opposed to doing it now so they'll be better at it later).

Besides, if you believe forcing it into the post would cause some losses, wouldn't it follow that the role is "beyond their capabilities" (at least until forcing it no longer leads to losses)?

If MP1, MP2 and RK can avg. triple doubles, demonstrating individual player development/improvement, renewed post aggressiveness then Dukes position with TP will be much more solidified for a positive recruitment outcome, I believe.

Triple doubles? If our three bigs each [i]average triple doubles, we'll be by far the #1 team in the country.

wilko
11-09-2011, 11:35 AM
If Coach K thinks we should showcase our big men, then I agree we should do it. It may just be phrasing, but I agree with gam7 and disagree with the idea of "forcing the issue the post," if it means we "take some early season losses." Especially if the motivation is recruiting (as opposed to doing it now so they'll be better at it later).

Yup. The Coaching staff has gone out saying this is their intention. I not expressing my sole desires on this point. So I'm saying they just need to DO it and do it effectively. Post focus for wins vs recruiting, its a Chicken and egg argument in my mind. It can be both, right?

I think this years edition of Duke Basketball needs to be more than Austin and those Tall dudes. Developing proficiency will and confidence early in the post will go along way and bodes well for the upcoming season.

(FWIW -I say the egg came first. Eggs have been around a lot longer than since the chicken evolved to BE a chicken)

Besides, if you believe forcing it into the post would cause some losses, wouldn't it follow that the role is "beyond their capabilities" (at least until forcing it no longer leads to losses)?

When I say force, I mean dictate the TONE. Impose will.
I want to see the Duke post players attack the rim with such fervor that defenders fear a compound fracture if they get in the way. Fadeaways, hooks and jumpers have their place, but they need to go down in a reliable manner. The post needs to show more aggressiveness.

Triple doubles? If our three bigs each [i]average triple doubles, we'll be by far the #1 team in the country.
Without a doubt it would be terrific!
I should have specified and limited that statement to the early games that overlap with the signing period until Tony makes a decision.
That shouldn't be too awful hard since early competition is typically weaker to start the season.

Bluedog
11-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Triple doubles? If our three bigs each average triple doubles, we'll be by far the #1 team in the country.

I should have specified and limited that statement to the early games that overlap with the signing period until Tony makes a decision.
That shouldn't be too awful hard since early competition is typically weaker to start the season.

I'm pretty sure wilko is saying average triple doubles collectively as a unit, not each guy getting a triple double. Having said that, I'd think averaging 10 assists between the three of them isn't likely at all. Haven't there only been like four triple doubles in Duke history? I recall Shelden did it with 10 blocks a few years ago.

wilko
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty sure wilko is saying average triple doubles collectively as a unit, not each guy getting a triple double.

Actually, that was a blown line. My mistake.
I meant DOUBLE DOUBLE... that's more reasonable against early season competition, I think.
But still, even the misstatement of exaggeration carries the point for improved post play. They have demonstrate it on the court.

I think RK can get enough assists to threaten that..
Mason has show he can be a round machine and is a good passer so its possible for him to scratch a few assists.

nocilla
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty sure wilko is saying average triple doubles collectively as a unit, not each guy getting a triple double. Having said that, I'd think averaging 10 assists between the three of them isn't likely at all. Haven't there only been like four triple doubles in Duke history? I recall Shelden did it with 10 blocks a few years ago.

I think points, rebounds, and blocks would be more likely and may be what wilko was refering to. Although MP2 has been known to pick up a few assist as well.

gam7
11-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Yup. The Coaching staff has gone out saying this is their intention. I not expressing my sole desires on this point. So I'm saying they just need to DO it and do it effectively. Post focus for wins vs recruiting, its a Chicken and egg argument in my mind. It can be both, right?

I think this years edition of Duke Basketball needs to be more than Austin and those Tall dudes. Developing proficiency will and confidence early in the post will go along way and bodes well for the upcoming season.

(FWIW -I say the egg came first. Eggs have been around a lot longer than since the chicken evolved to BE a chicken)

When I say force, I mean dictate the TONE. Impose will.
I want to see the Duke post players attack the rim with such fervor that defenders fear a compound fracture if they get in the way. Fadeaways, hooks and jumpers have their place, but they need to go down in a reliable manner. The post needs to show more aggressiveness.

Kedsy highlighted the quotes in your initial post that rankled me a bit. Sorry for my imprecise quoting.

I totally agree that it will be great if we can feed the big guys and see them impose their will on opponents. But, I would imagine that any coach worth his salt will know that this is Duke's stated intention coming into the season and will plan accordingly. So, if we need to adjust to a more perimeter-oriented game to win, we should do that, rather than trying to prove to a potential recruit that we are stubborn enough to keep feeding the post. To complicate matters further, I just read the Shabazz article linked on the front page, and he explicitly says that he will be watching teams this season to find the best style of play for him. So, if you are taking recruits' preferences into account, how do we please both of these guys? I think the only solution is that you win and then convince these guys of the truth, which is that Duke's staff is flexible enough to adjust the system to take advantage of the strengths of its roster.

CDu
11-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Actually, that was a blown line. My mistake.
I meant DOUBLE DOUBLE... that's more reasonable against early season competition, I think.
But still, even the misstatement of exaggeration carries the point for improved post play. They have demonstrate it on the court.

I think RK can get enough assists to threaten that..
Mason has show he can be a round machine and is a good passer so its possible for him to scratch a few assists.

I don't think all three of them can simultaneously average a double double for any reasonable amount of time. That just requires too much scoring and rebounding to go around. Any one of them might be able to average it, and in any particular game two would be able to do it. But all three averaging a double double is unrealistic - even against early season competition. I'd be a bit surprised if we even see any games in which all three get a double double.

BD80
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
I think points, rebounds, and blocks would be more likely and may be what wilko was refering to. Although MP2 has been known to pick up a few assist as well.

As a group, including fouls may well yield a triple-double average.

dukedoc
11-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Regarding Tony, is it correct to say that people still remain cautiously optimistic? Seemed like Watzone was, even after Daniels tweeted that Tony was pushing off his decision. The glass half full view I suppose is that although Tony hasn't committed to Duke, he also hasn't committed to OSU, Memphis, nor UCLA. The nay-sayers who said Tony was only visiting Duke to appease his parents appear to have been mistaken, otherwise one would think he would've committed to somewhere else by now.

Bluedog
11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Regarding Tony, is it correct to say that people still remain cautiously optimistic? Seemed like Watzone was, even after Daniels tweeted that Tony was pushing off his decision. The glass half full view I suppose is that although Tony hasn't committed to Duke, he also hasn't committed to OSU, Memphis, nor UCLA. The nay-sayers who said Tony was only visiting Duke to appease his parents appear to have been mistaken, otherwise one would think he would've committed to somewhere else by now.

I'm personally cautiously optimistic, but for no real reason other than he still has us in his final four. It seems like Tony has kept things really close to the vest and hasn't really expressed any "leaders" or anything like that that a lot of recruits reveal. He hasn't really even expressed what he's looking for in a program in detail or what he likes about each individual school unless I missed some interviews (which is possible). Most people seemed to think it was OSU/Duke in front with Memphis as a wildcard. Some may think that with the recent PF commit to Memphis that hurts their chances, so OSU/Duke back in front, but sounds like nobody really knows for sure, including Tony.

stillcrazie
11-09-2011, 01:58 PM

I guess I prefer to be cautiously pessimistic. Been down this road too many times before.

wncdevilfan
11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I guess I don't understand if Coach K has put so much time and effort into TP, why he hasn't commited. Rolled out the carpet, met him after the UCLA trip. I mean, its not like Sendek, or Lavin was calling on him. This is Coach K for cryin' out loud.

Kedsy
11-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I guess I don't understand if Coach K has put so much time and effort into TP, why he hasn't commited. Rolled out the carpet, met him after the UCLA trip. I mean, its not like Sendek, or Lavin was calling on him. This is Coach K for cryin' out loud.

Because, much as we'd like it to be otherwise, it doesn't quite work that way. Just because Coach K wants a recruit to come to Duke doesn't mean that recruit automatically and immediately commits to the Blue Devils.

CDu
11-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Not everyone loves Duke and Coach K. If it was just a function of Coach K putting in the legwork, we'd never miss on recruits. But it's a two-way street.

Note: this is not a statement about Parker's actual interest level in Duke. Just a general statement about why any recruit might not choose Duke even after receiving the full court press from Coach K.

wncdevilfan
11-09-2011, 02:45 PM
ok fair enough. but you don't have to yell at me like that. lol

ACCBBallFan
11-09-2011, 03:12 PM
If people are convinced Ohio State is now the slight favorite in Tony Parker sweepstakes and if Ken Pomeroy has the head to head 74-68 in favor of Ohio State, why not just double down? The winner of November 29 game gets Parker as long as it is their bigs who outplay the other team's bigs.

-bdbd
11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
If people are convinced Ohio State is now the slight favorite in Tony Parker sweepstakes and if Ken Pomeroy has the head to head 74-68 in favor of Ohio State, why not just double down? The winner of November 29 game gets Parker as long as it is their bigs who outplay the other team's bigs.

Who's convinced of that??? Most of what I read either states or implies he's a Duke lean.

:D

UrinalCake
11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
It may just be phrasing, but I agree with gam7 and disagree with the idea of "forcing the issue [in] the post," if it means we "take some early season losses." ...if you believe forcing it into the post would cause some losses, wouldn't it follow that the role is "beyond their capabilities" (at least until forcing it no longer leads to losses)?

I'm willing to take some early season losses in order to develop our bigs and have them ready for some late-season wins. But I guess there's two separate issues here: a.) how we develop our big men over the course of this season in order to best prepare for the tournament, and b.) how we showcase our big men to potential recruits. I totally agree that a. is much more important than b.), but I also feel that the two are not mutually exclusive.

Kedsy
11-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm willing to take some early season losses in order to develop our bigs and have them ready for some late-season wins. But I guess there's two separate issues here: a.) how we develop our big men over the course of this season in order to best prepare for the tournament, and b.) how we showcase our big men to potential recruits. I totally agree that a. is much more important than b.), but I also feel that the two are not mutually exclusive.

They may not be mutually exclusive, but I'd be shocked if Coach K ever thinks about (b) during game preparation.

Steven43
11-09-2011, 08:50 PM
I think Coach K has made a huge mistake by having Wojo as the big man coach. I just don't see why he doesn't get a big man coach who is a) actually big, and b) one who played the position at least on the college level. Why is a former Duke point guard the big man coach? How can that possibly be our best option? I think it is costing us both in our recruiting of quality big men as well as in the development of the bigs that we do get. I cannot remember a time in the last five or six seasons that a big man came to Duke and developed a consistently good inside game while at Duke. McRoberts? Randolph? Zoubek? Thomas? Miles Plumlee? Mason Plumlee? Ryan Kelly? No, no, no and no. Why is he so wedded to this Wojo as big man coach situation? I don't get it.

Duvall
11-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I think Coach K has made a huge mistake by having Wojo as the big man coach. I just don't see why he doesn't get a big man coach who is a) actually big, and b) one who played the position at least on the college level. Why is a former Duke point guard the big man coach? How can that possibly be our best option? I think it is costing us both in our recruiting of quality big men as well as in the development of the bigs that we do get. I cannot remember a time in the last five or six seasons that a big man came to Duke and developed a consistently good inside game while at Duke. McRoberts? Randolph? Zoubek? Thomas? Miles Plumlee? Mason Plumlee? Ryan Kelly? No, no, no and no. Why is he so wedded to this Wojo as big man coach situation? I don't get it.

Whoa. I never considered this before. Tell us more.

mkline09
11-09-2011, 09:06 PM

Well aren't there a bevy of 6'11" or 7'20" guys lining up to be big man coaches?

Size has nothing to do with knowledge of the game or position. It is like saying that a 175lbs man can't coach the offensive line because he doesn't weigh 285lbs. or more. An old argument to blame issues with big men on Wojo. Lets move on from that please.

Newton_14
11-09-2011, 09:17 PM

1F and the correct answers are yes, no, hell yes, yes, yes, work in progress, but definitely not no, yes

I second this

Well aren't there a bevy of 6'11" or 7'20" guys lining up to be big man coaches?

Size has nothing to do with knowledge of the game or position. It is like saying that a 175lbs man can't coach the offensive line because he doesn't weigh 285lbs. or more. An old argument to blame issues with big men on Wojo. Lets move on from that please.

Not only an old argument, but the horse was beaten to death, trampled upon, beaten some more, then stuck in a closet where he could be brought out and beaten again when needed

Poincaré
11-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I just don't see why he doesn't get a big man coach who is a) actually big, and b) one who played the position at least on the college level.

The best big man coach of all time was 6 feet 2 inches tall (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1692926/bio). I admit that he was taller than Wojo, but I doubt that those extra 2 inches made a huge difference.

If you don't see big men improving under Wojo, then that is a valid criticism, but the fact that he is too short is not. By the way Wojo did make frequent trips to Pete Newell's camps to learn some stuff.

More than anything, I think that we have not seen Wojo work too many times with beefy young men who look like they could use their butts as weapons in the paint. MP1 is a leaper rather than a butt-camper. MP2 is somewhere between a stretch 4 and a pure 4. Lance Thomas was wiry and liked to play outside in high school. McBob thought he was a point guard. Zoubek showed improvement, did he not? Boozer did pretty well, but he had the beefy body. I am not sure where Hairston falls. I worry that he's a poor man's Lance Thomas, but I am willing to give him the full four years to develop into a rotation player. Shelden did well, and he had a nice beefy body and always played inside. Perhaps Tony Parker could be the next beefy Duke big man... This makes the judgment difficult though. The successful Wojo big men have been beefy, highly rated in high school, and already traditional big men. None of the unsuccessful Wojo big men fit all three criteria.

I cannot say that Wojo is a good big man coach. I also cannot say that Wojo is a bad big man coach. He might be either. Unless you have some reasonable formal data analysis that attempts to measure big man development, it is hard to say for sure. Any verbal story is just anecdotal and unreliable. That's why I would leave the evaluation to Coach K.

If someone is willing to do a serious analysis of big man coaches across college basketball, justify the methodology, and show where Wojo ranks, I am sure that every college basketball fan would be interested. However, I doubt that such a thing would happen.

EDIT: I excluded Shav because he was destroyed by injuries. Horvath and Sanders also fail to meet the three criteria for successful Wojo big men. Nevertheless, they did enough to come up big in various spots. Ryan Kelly is a stretch 4, not an inside big man. Same goes for Shane. Tony Parker, by the way, fits the three criteria of successful Wojo big men.

SCMatt33
11-09-2011, 10:08 PM

You know, this got me thinking. We should leave Wojo as the big man coach, but try to hire Len Elmore to coach the guards. That way, they'll never get tired legs at the end of the year. It's perfect.

BD80
11-09-2011, 10:16 PM
... Not only an old argument, but the horse was beaten to death, trampled upon, beaten some more, then stuck in a closet where he could be brought out and beaten again when needed

ironic that I am watching a show on science fiction that became fact, beginning with Shelley's Frankenstein and the reanimation of dead nerves ...

this horse just won't stay dead

bundabergdevil
11-09-2011, 10:18 PM
While I'm in agreement with the assertion that one doesn't have to have been good at doing something to tell someone else how best to do that same thing. There's a reason, after all, why Coach K was never throwing down nasty dunks in the lane or zipping crazy passes a-la Nash in the league. He just wasn't good enough. That wasn't his skillset...coaching was.

Anyway, interesting that Mitch McGary notes the Duke/big-man perception in his blog..http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/746/mitchs-memos-d-day-looms

It's unfortunate that the perception exits, but it does. As he says, "The con for Duke would be the perception that all their big men do is set screens and rebound and that they don’t get a lot of touches. "

My apologies if that had been posted already. The perception is there whether we like it or not. It seems to me that the argument shouldn't be about whether Wojo can coach that spot but about how best to allay the concerns (right or wrong) of any current and future recruits.

On a side note, my mother is convinced that Shelden Williams tore my retina in a summer pick-up game. I don't think so but, whatever the cause, we contributed an awful lot to the Duke eye center that year.

g-money
11-09-2011, 11:23 PM

As a man who is rarely brought to laughter by the written word, I can say: Well played sir.

(Or in short-form, modern English: lol!)

loldevilz
11-10-2011, 12:44 AM
While I'm in agreement with the assertion that one doesn't have to have been good at doing something to tell someone else how best to do that same thing. There's a reason, after all, why Coach K was never throwing down nasty dunks in the lane or zipping crazy passes a-la Nash in the league. He just wasn't good enough. That wasn't his skillset...coaching was.

Anyway, interesting that Mitch McGary notes the Duke/big-man perception in his blog..http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/746/mitchs-memos-d-day-looms

It's unfortunate that the perception exits, but it does. As he says, "The con for Duke would be the perception that all their big men do is set screens and rebound and that they don’t get a lot of touches. "

My apologies if that had been posted already. The perception is there whether we like it or not. It seems to me that the argument shouldn't be about whether Wojo can coach that spot but about how best to allay the concerns (right or wrong) of any current and future recruits.

On a side note, my mother is convinced that Shelden Williams tore my retina in a summer pick-up game. I don't think so but, whatever the cause, we contributed an awful lot to the Duke eye center that year.

I know the Coach K faithful don't want to admit that Wojo is not the perfect big man coach, but maybe he isn't. Not every big man is enamored by becoming a rebounder/scorer for a guard dominated lineup. Thankfully, Coach Capel will hopefully change that perception. Already we are seeing Mason, Miles, and Kelly all regularly scoring in double digits. I don't think there were many games last year that even one of them, let alone two scored in double digits.

Kedsy
11-10-2011, 12:51 AM
I know the Coach K faithful don't want to admit that Wojo is not the perfect big man coach, but maybe he isn't. Not every big man is enamored by becoming a rebounder/scorer for a guard dominated lineup.

Except that doesn't have anything to do with the big man coach. It has to do with the composition of the team.

Thankfully, Coach Capel will hopefully change that perception. Already we are seeing Mason, Miles, and Kelly all regularly scoring in double digits. I don't think there were many games last year that even one of them, let alone two scored in double digits.

How can Coach Capel change things when Wojo (and not Capel) is still the big man coach? Since Wojo is actually coaching our big men (and not Capel), why are you attributing Mason's, Miles's, and Ryan's exhibition game scoring totals to Coach Capel and not Coach Wojo?

And, finally, why should Jeff Capel change perceptions when he was a point guard, too?

loldevilz
11-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Except that doesn't have anything to do with the big man coach. It has to do with the composition of the team.

How can Coach Capel change things when Wojo (and not Capel) is still the big man coach? Since Wojo is actually coaching our big men (and not Capel), why are you attributing Mason's, Miles's, and Ryan's exhibition game scoring totals to Coach Capel and not Coach Wojo?

And, finally, why should Jeff Capel change perceptions when he was a point guard, too?

It has nothing to do with the composition of the team. There is a great article about Mason Plumlee that I read a week ago that talked about how at the beginning of last year in the locker room the coaches were stressing to get Mason the ball, we want him to score and to get touches, but by the end of the year the vibe was totally different, it was all about screening and rebounding. Mason just wasn't prepared to be that type of player. Already this year there have been major improvements. Mason is 14/14 and looks dominant at times. In fact Kelly, Mason, and Miles all look good and all deserve to start and that has nothing to do with the composition of the team.

Also great point about Coach Capel not coaching the big men. I'm sure he's just goofing around all day with Collins and Spatola playing Coaches vs Alumni games.

-bdbd
11-10-2011, 01:04 AM

There will be that perception rumored about as long as there are those who have a vested intesrest in perpetuating it -- whether they come from competing recruiters/coaches, or competing fans or just old Duke 'haters.' Not that you have to be one of those groups to have that opinion, but there are certainly folks in those groups trying hard to perpetuate it.

If you had to be good at something before you could opine and eduacate others on it, then about 99% of sports media personnel would be out of jobs! (and over half of coaches!) BTW, anybody know how tall the UNC big-man coach is, and how much front-line play he had? Hint: shorter than Wojo and he had significantly fewer rebounds! But perception is still perception, whether true or not. Bunda is right - it is the perception that needs to be addressed somehow.

MCFinARL
11-10-2011, 08:11 AM
There will be that perception rumored about as long as there are those who have a vested intesrest in perpetuating it -- whether they come from competing recruiters/coaches, or competing fans or just old Duke 'haters.' Not that you have to be one of those groups to have that opinion, but there are certainly folks in those groups trying hard to perpetuate it.

If you had to be good at something before you could opine and eduacate others on it, then about 99% of sports media personnel would be out of jobs! (and over half of coaches!) BTW, anybody know how tall the UNC big-man coach is, and how much front-line play he had? Hint: shorter than Wojo and he had significantly fewer rebounds! But perception is still perception, whether true or not. Bunda is right - it is the perception that needs to be addressed somehow.

"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach." Yeah, it's a cliche, but cliches come from somewhere. (PS I'm a teacher, and I'm only half serious anyway, so other educators please don't jump on me.)

wilko
11-10-2011, 09:13 AM
"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach." Yeah, it's a cliche, but cliches come from somewhere. (PS I'm a teacher, and I'm only half serious anyway, so other educators please don't jump on me.)

I think the "perception" will take a serious hit when we have some sustained superior post play. This speaks to the point I was making earlier in this thread that now is the time for our bigs to "walk the walk".

slower
11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Mason is 14/14 and looks dominant at times.

Dominant? Really? I guess we all have different thresholds for defining "dominant". Not that Mason is NOT capable of it. Time will tell. Starting tomorrow.

BD80
11-10-2011, 09:36 AM
... This speaks to the point I was making earlier in this thread that now is the time for our bigs to "walk the walk".

You mean like Hansbrough? There the appropriate term would be "shuffle and shuffle." (And then make a confused pouty face and whine)

wilko
11-10-2011, 09:50 AM
You mean like Hansbrough? There the appropriate term would be "shuffle and shuffle." (And then make a confused pouty face and whine)

Heh... you say that like he got caught or something...
I for one, am not too proud to take any "perceived advantage" we may get.
If they let guys travel for the other team then they gotta let ours travel too.

superdave
11-10-2011, 09:52 AM
You know, this got me thinking. We should leave Wojo as the big man coach, but try to hire Len Elmore to coach the guards. That way, they'll never get tired legs at the end of the year. It's perfect.

I think we should go out and get George Muresan as the big man coach. Or maybe Shawn Bradley. Let's get the tallest man possible just so we can prove once and for all that there is no correlation between height and big man coaching skills.

Super "Either would be more tolerable than Elmore" Dave

mkline09
11-10-2011, 09:55 AM

I love that idea. We'll get Doug Gotlieb to coach the alarmingly unathletic big men so that will make them, according to K even more athletic than they aren't.

Kedsy
11-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Also great point about Coach Capel not coaching the big men. I'm sure he's just goofing around all day with Collins and Spatola playing Coaches vs Alumni games.

My understanding is Coach Capel is coaching the big men approximately the same amount Chris Collins is coaching the big men -- they're both coaches but when it comes time to work on big man stuff, Wojo is the guy.

Here's what I don't get about your stated position: you say our big men have improved (and they have), but why are you attributing that improvement to Coach Capel and not Coach Wojo (who, after all, is the big man coach)?

Finally, you still haven't explained why you think Jeff Capel, a former Duke point guard, is a more acceptable big man coach than Steve Wojciechowski, a former Duke point guard? Because of all that posting up Jeff did while playing point at Duke?

devildeac
11-10-2011, 10:28 AM
I love that idea. We'll get Doug Gotlieb to coach the alarmingly unathletic big men so that will make them, according to K even more athletic than they aren't.

Buddy, err, Reggie Love will be available next year. He played "center" for us at times. What about him? Is he tall enough? Is he unathletic enough?

bundabergdevil
11-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I think the "perception" will take a serious hit when we have some sustained superior post play. This speaks to the point I was making earlier in this thread that now is the time for our bigs to "walk the walk".

I agree with this. "Perception" is certainly something that can be changed. Having one of our current or future bigs get a lot of press through consistent stellar play would certainly help. (Even though all of us would point to Williams, Boozer, Brand as a pretty incredible string of big men). Having another Duke big man find significant success in the NBA would contribute. I imagine having Capel on staff has helped.

I also seem to remember Coach K making an effort in recent years to make the program and the team more accessible to combat the rampant (and absurd) Duke hate. This certainly suggests that Coach and the staff are cognizant of the impact of perception and are forward thinking enough to counter it. It's hard to imagine them recruiting for any other reason than because a kid fits the program needs but it certainly could on some small level explain the extra effort Coach has been pouring into guys like Parker.

elvis14
11-10-2011, 02:04 PM

Hilarious, thanks I needed that.

Not only an old argument, but the horse was beaten to death, trampled upon, beaten some more, then stuck in a closet where he could be brought out and beaten again when needed

Don't know if you heard, but there was a guy with a stick hiding in that closet and ....

BD80
11-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Buddy, err, Reggie Love will be available next year. He played "center" for us at times. What about him? Is he tall enough? Is he unathletic enough?

White House to Duke bench.

Lateral move?

MChambers
11-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Why doesn't Coach K go after Dwight Howard's high school coach? He's got to be one of the best big men coaches in the last 30 years.

G man
11-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Why doesn't Coach K go after Dwight Howard's high school coach? He's got to be one of the best big men coaches in the last 30 years.

funny

Newton_14
11-13-2011, 11:03 PM
All, Please get back on topic and leave the other stuff out of this thread. Tony Parker is an important recruit for Duke and this thread is about him. Please keep the focus there. I have deleted several off-topic and inflammatory posts.

-bdbd
11-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Any solid expectations as to when TP will announce?

Am I misreading or has then info flow gine a bit silent in the last week or so? I'd certainly have loved to have heard by the early signing period, but still believe that we look good with Tony. I think he's really important to us on several level, so I've got everything crossed on this one...

BTW, what other school are we the most worried about with him? OSU? Memphis? UCLA?

dukedoc
11-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah, not much chatter. At last check it sounded like December was when he was planning to decide and announce, subsequently signing on the dotted line in the late period. People still seem positive about Duke's chances with OSU apparently the main competition. Personally I still worry about UCLA with the Kyle Anderson ties, but that may just be a smokescreen. Memphis, with the recent commit from Shaq, seems less likely to win the TP sweepstakes, but who knows...

Although I wonder about the merit of projecting a team's 2012-13 style of play by watching 2011-12 games, since people seem to think that is one of the things Tony is waiting on, I've been extra happy about the performance of our big men early on.

wilko
11-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Although I wonder about the merit of projecting a team's 2012-13 style of play by watching 2011-12 games, since people seem to think that is one of the things Tony is waiting on, I've been extra happy about the performance of our big men early on.

I have no idea what TP is waiting on. I too have been very very pleased with Masons play so far.

I only hope Miles can find whatever he needs to get to the same place. I like MP1's shooting face-up confidently and productively. If he can JUST find some touch around the rim ..hes not that far away.

The BIGGEST difference so far, I think, is the lack of silly fouls and improved footwork resulting in a conversion attempt as opposed to a turnover from both MP's.

superdave
11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
If OSU is Duke's biggest rival for getting Parker, here's what they did in 2011 (http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/194/class/2011) and what they have lined up for 2012 (big men only). I would assume Sullinger goes pro after this season.

Class of 2011
C Amir Williams (50 in RSCI)
C Trey McDonald (not ranked in RSCI)

Class of 2012
Nobody....

superdave
11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
The BIGGEST difference so far, I think, is the lack of silly fouls and improved footwork resulting in a conversion attempt as opposed to a turnover from both MP's.

There's also a lot more shots to go around with the exodus of Nolan and Kyle after last season. Someone has to shoot!

rotogod00
11-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Kansas signed another big man today in Landen Lucas. Can't imagine they'll be a late player with Parker as some have speculated.

G man
11-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Kansas signed another big man today in Landen Lucas. Can't imagine they'll be a late player with Parker as some have speculated.

The player they signed is going to be a four year bench/role player. I hope it means he will not look their, but not sure that it will matter.

rotogod00
11-15-2011, 07:24 AM
The player they signed is going to be a four year bench/role player. I hope it means he will not look their, but not sure that it will matter.

Still, their class currently consists of 3 guys 6'8" or taller. Hopefully that's a bit of a deterrent.

JasonEvans
11-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Unless something has changed dramatically, Kansas is not a player in the Tony Parker end game. Duke, OSU, and (to a lesser extent) Memphis and UCLA.

-Jason "the consensus seems to be that the longer this draws out the worse it is for Duke... we'll see" Evans