PDA

View Full Version : FB: Virginia Tech 44, Duke 7

CameronBornAndBred
10-19-2010, 12:49 PM
WRAL has a story up on the QB situation, with Renfree still starting but Connette playing a bigger role than he has so far.

"We're so close. I know people think I'm crazy," Cutcliffe said. "But we are so close you're gonna be shocked once we get this thing rolling in the right direction how many we may win in a row when it's all said and done."
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/8475333/

I think Renfree is the right guy, but what I really care about is whoever is on the field needs to protect the ball. Both QB's coughed it up last game.
I'm looking forward to Saturday, this will be my first time seeing a game inside Lane stadium.

Highlander
10-19-2010, 01:14 PM
WRAL has a story up on the QB situation, with Renfree still starting but Connette playing a bigger role than he has so far.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/8475333/

I think Renfree is the right guy, but what I really care about is whoever is on the field needs to protect the ball. Both QB's coughed it up last game.
I'm looking forward to Saturday, this will be my first time seeing a game inside Lane stadium.

Lane Stadium is a pretty awesome place to see a football game. I remember getting tickets on row 5P one time and thinking "What is 5P?" As I started walking up the bleachers, I saw the rows labeled W, X, Y, Z, AA, BB... Then I looked up and realized where my seats were.

The stands feel like they go right up to the edge of the field as well, and the end zones have had some major work with the bowl $ they got from the National Championship appearance about 10 years ago.

Have fun, and I hope you have a parking pass.

CameronBornAndBred
10-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Have fun, and I hope you have a parking pass.
I DO!!! I got lucky and it was included with my tix that I got on stubhub. ;)

mkline09
10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Duke really could have beaten Miami. Take away the turnovers and the missed opportunity on the fumble recovery on the opening kick and it might be a whole different game. That means there at at least three games Duke could have and possibly should have won if it weren't for excessive if not inopportune turnovers.

I believe Cut when he says they are close. I think he is right. Duke is bringing in young talent. The only difference is their young talent isn't quite as good as the elite schools young talent. It will take them longer to catch on. By the time they are juniors and seniors then you'll see the benefits of today's struggles. The good news is they are playing a lot of young guys who are either juniors and seniors so in the long term things are looking much better.

sagegrouse
10-19-2010, 02:10 PM
... I think Renfree is the right guy, but what I really care about is whoever is on the field needs to protect the ball. Both QB's coughed it up last game.

The only positive thing I can say about the QB situation is that with two Duke QBs available, the evil Frank Beamer doesn't have the incentive to keep sending his goons to commit personal fouls against the Duke QB until he suffers a concussion.

That's what he did against Thad Lewis two years ago, when VT did not have an offense and Lewis was the only Duke weapon. Duke lost 14-3, but IIRC only after a late game interception by the Hokies.

sagegrouse
'VT can't lose enough games to suit me'

sagegrouse

loran16
10-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Duke's Plays:
Jay Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Incomplete
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Incomplete
Punt

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Inc.
Field Goal

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Tony Jackson Rush
Punt

Asack INTERCEPTION

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Punt
-----------------------------Half
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Sack
Jackson Rush
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Hollignsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Tony Jackson Rush
Asack Rush
Robinson Rush
Asack Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Pass Complete
Punt

Robinson Rush
Robinson Rush
Asack INT

Asack INT (Returned for a score)

Asack Sack
Asack Complete
Asack INT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

JUST REMEMBER, The game can't be worse than that!

budwom
10-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Ha...21 rushes by my count for young Asack...we were discussing that this past weekend....my faulty recollection was "only" 17. Discussion was appropos to the fact I sat in front of young Zack on the plane into Derm on Friday. Nice young lad, he's going to be playing in Barcelona this winter.

CameronBornAndBred
10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Made for a hell of a drinking game though!

duke09hms
10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
does anyone know if this game will be on espn3 or any other online streaming source?

Go DUKE Beat VT!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-19-2010, 09:40 PM
does anyone know if this game will be on espn3 or any other online streaming source?

Go DUKE Beat VT!
Check this out. The TV broadcast will be the ACC Network, but there are some streaming sources as well.
http://www.raycomsports.com/index.php/ACC-Information/2010-acc-football-match-center-duke-at-virginia-tech.html#local_listings

sagegrouse
10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Your post below is exactly why Frank Beamer felt a few extra personal fouls on Thad Lewis would make this a VT win. But, even at that, VT only got 7 points on offense.

sagegrouse

Duke's Plays:
Jay Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Incomplete
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Incomplete
Punt

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Inc.
Field Goal

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Tony Jackson Rush
Punt

Asack INTERCEPTION

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Punt
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Sack
Jackson Rush
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Hollignsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Tony Jackson Rush
Asack Rush
Robinson Rush
Asack Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Pass Complete
Punt

Robinson Rush
Robinson Rush
Asack INT

Asack Sack
Asack Complete
Asack INT

devildeac
10-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Duke's Plays:
Jay Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Incomplete
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Incomplete
Punt

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Inc.
Field Goal

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Tony Jackson Rush
Punt

Asack INTERCEPTION

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Punt
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Sack
Jackson Rush
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Hollignsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Tony Jackson Rush
Asack Rush
Robinson Rush
Asack Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Pass Complete
Punt

Robinson Rush
Robinson Rush
Asack INT

Asack Sack
Asack Complete
Asack INT

This is a sad, sad reminder of that game and the fact that I live in "infamy" in your sig.

Greg_Newton
10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Asack Rush

It's really not every day you see a quarterback throw 2 passes to his teammates, 3 to nobody, and 4 to his opponents. Yipes!

devildeac
10-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Your post below is exactly why Frank Beamer felt a few extra personal fouls on Thad Lewis would make this a VT win. But, even at that, VT only got 7 points on offense.

sagegrouse

They are only personal fouls if the $%&#*@& referees will call them. How many of them actually were flagged?:mad:

Reilly
10-19-2010, 10:38 PM
In 2006, VT blew us out and egregiously, illegally pummeled the frosh Thad.
In 2008, it was the bitter cold game where Asack had all the keepers, 14-3.

sagegrouse
10-19-2010, 10:59 PM

Yep, I've got my games mixed up. The goon squad attack on Thad was in 2006; he only had six passes, replaced by Marcus Jones. VT had nine penalties for 85 yards in that game, but I couldn't dig up any more detail. In 2008 Thad did not play.

sagegrouse

gep
10-20-2010, 12:07 AM

Go DUKE Beat VT!

Game is on www.espn3.com check out the "upcoming" tab... you can also "replay" a bunch of games... up to 30 days ago.

whereinthehellami
10-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Duke is catchig VT at a bad time. They are focused and on a roll. They put up over 600 yards of offense last week against Wake. They have weapons all over the field on Offense and have done a good job of spreading teams out and making big plays. IIRC they have ~ 37 plays of over 20 yards.

On defense the Hokies are struggling to find themselves. They have alot of young guys on the dfense and some of them are struggling with schemes and the speed of college ball. Duke has a good chance to put some points up on the Hokies this week. Unfortunately for Duke, I think the Hokies are more susceptible to good running teams than good passing teams.

If Duke can avoid turnovers than this could be a close game. If they commit an early TO or two than this one could get ugly quick.

fan345678
10-20-2010, 09:23 AM
The only positive thing I can say about the QB situation is that with two Duke QBs available, the evil Frank Beamer doesn't have the incentive to keep sending his goons to commit personal fouls against the Duke QB until he suffers a concussion.

That's what he did against Thad Lewis two years ago, when VT did not have an offense and Lewis was the only Duke weapon. Duke lost 14-3, but IIRC only after a late game interception by the Hokies.

sagegrouse
'VT can't lose enough games to suit me'

sagegrouse

Actually, Lewis didn't play two years ago. You're thinking of four years ago, when VT's Aaron Rouse committed a very late hit that most on this board interpreted as premeditated assault with intent to kill, rather than a bad football play.

Nrrrrvous
10-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Not a good week to be a Hokie on these boards!

If anyone needs any advice on Blacksburg, let me know.

sagegrouse
10-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Actually, Lewis didn't play two years ago. You're thinking of four years ago, when VT's Aaron Rouse committed a very late hit that most on this board interpreted as premeditated assault with intent to kill, rather than a bad football play.

You are absolutely correct. I figured out my mistake a few messages ago:

Originally posted by sagegrouse
2006, not 2008

Originally Posted by Reilly
Yep, I've got my games mixed up. The goon squad attack on Thad was in 2006; he only had six passes, replaced by Marcus Jones. VT had nine penalties for 85 yards in that game, but I couldn't dig up any more detail. In 2008 Thad did not play.

sagegrouse

Thanks for the detail on the would-be assassin. Anyway, as far as I am concerned, VT can lose every game as long as Beamer is the coach. And he wouldn't pull that stuff on a pro like Cutcliffe, who would make it a national issue.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
10-20-2010, 10:19 AM
So I got the following [ahem] UNSIGNED thumbs down in response to my three posts on the Hokies' fouls on Thad Lewis:

Thread: FB: Duke @ VT Pre-Game...
lame bashing of the Hokies

So, now there are four posts in this thread saying that Frank Beamer cannot lose enough games to suit me.

sagegrouse

devildeac
10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
You are absolutely correct. I figured out my mistake a few messages ago:

Thanks for the detail on the would-be assassin. Anyway, as far as I am concerned, VT can lose every game as long as Beamer is the coach. And he wouldn't pull that stuff on a pro like Cutcliffe, who would make it a national issue.

sagegrouse

I dunno. Butch and his goon squad pulled that crap on us last year with SIX (IIRC) unsportsmanlike conduct calls (all late hits) against them last year and there was no uproar.:mad:

PumpkinFunk
10-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Not a good week to be a Hokie on these boards!

If anyone needs any advice on Blacksburg, let me know.

Looking for some advice. First time going to Lane Stadium, and just curious what a Hokie fan would recommend I do while there.

Acymetric
10-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Duke is catchig VT at a bad time. They are focused and on a roll. They put up over 600 yards of offense last week against Wake. They have weapons all over the field on Offense and have done a good job of spreading teams out and making big plays. IIRC they have ~ 37 plays of over 20 yards.

On defense the Hokies are struggling to find themselves. They have alot of young guys on the dfense and some of them are struggling with schemes and the speed of college ball. Duke has a good chance to put some points up on the Hokies this week. Unfortunately for Duke, I think the Hokies are more susceptible to good running teams than good passing teams.

If Duke can avoid turnovers than this could be a close game. If they commit an early TO or two than this one could get ugly quick.

Well to be honest our run game is looking better than our passing game right now (could be different if we could stop with the interceptions). I think our top 3 RBs averaged over 5 ypc, and we ended up with 150 or 160 rushing yards if you don't take yards off for the sacks and fumbles. Not great numbers...but not bad.

Bob Green
10-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Our best chance to win the game is to keep the Hokie offense off the field by successfully running the ball and dominating time of possession. I know, a lot easier said than done.

We have to successfully run the ball to setup the pass. Run, run, run, and then throw off play action. Our best chance to win is for Desmond Scott and Josh Snead to have big days on the ground.

We cannot turn the ball over and expect to win. Duke is currently minus eleven (-11) in turnover margin by far the worst in the ACC. The next worst team (Virginia) is minus five (-5). Of 120 FBS teams, Duke is ranked #119 in turnover margin. Only Middle Tennessee is below us:

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-fbs-team-turnover-margin.html

Highlander
10-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Duke's Plays:
Jay Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Incomplete
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Incomplete
Punt

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Inc.
Field Goal

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Tony Jackson Rush
Punt

Asack INTERCEPTION

Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Punt
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Sack
Jackson Rush
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Hollignsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Tony Jackson Rush
Asack Rush
Robinson Rush
Asack Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Rush
Punt

Hollingsworth Rush
Hollingsworth Rush
Asack Pass Complete
Punt

Robinson Rush
Robinson Rush
Asack INT

Asack Sack
Asack Complete
Asack INT

I also remember that game as the end of the "Asack should replace Lewis" debate that FormerDukeAthlete so passionately argued for so long.

CameronBornAndBred
10-20-2010, 03:04 PM
I also remember that game as the end of the "Asack should replace Lewis" debate that FormerDukeAthlete so passionately argued for so long.
Yeah...thank goodness Paulus decided to play football and brought it back to life. :rolleyes:

sagegrouse
10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Our best chance to win the game is to keep the Hokie offense off the field by successfully running the ball and dominating time of possession. I know, a lot easier said than done.

We have to successfully run the ball to setup the pass. Run, run, run, and then throw off play action. Our best chance to win is for Desmond Scott and Josh Snead to have big days on the ground.

We cannot turn the ball over and expect to win. Duke is currently minus eleven (-11) in turnover margin by far the worst in the ACC. The next worst team (Virginia) is minus five (-5). Of 120 FBS teams, Duke is ranked #119 in turnover margin. Only Middle Tennessee is below us:

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-fbs-team-turnover-margin.html

Here's My List:

1. No turnovers -- zero, zip, nada.

2. The same defensive intensity we showed against Miami.

3. #19 has to channel the original #19 -- Johnny U.

This would be a gr-e-e-a-a-t win!

sagegrouse

EDIT: Look, I really do proofread these and go to Print Preview to check up on mistakes that DBR cleverly inserts. In any event, I missed the misspelling in the title. mea culpa.

whereinthehellami
10-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Here is the preview from Techsideline (http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/showArticle-5494.php).

I think Duke gets at least 21 points, I'll go with 24. I think the Hokies end up with about 38. I think the Hokies move the ball pretty easily but have a couple of TOs that keep the score down.

devildeac
10-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Here is the preview from Techsideline (http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/showArticle-5494.php).

I think Duke gets at least 21 points, I'll go with 24. I think the Hokies end up with about 38. I think the Hokies move the ball pretty easily but have a couple of TOs that keep the score down.

VT is a 26 point favorite, FWIW.

bluepenguin
10-20-2010, 05:27 PM
That means there at at least three games Duke could have and possibly should have won if it weren't for excessive if not inopportune turnovers.

If Duke should have won, they would have!

watzone
10-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I didn't see a game thread up to four pages back, so ... I know everybody is lost in basketball euphoria but let's still hope for some positives down the stretch for the football team. Here is Patrick Cacchio's game preview - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/bdn-previews-duke-vs-virginia-tech/

pbc2
10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Taylor is the kind of player who can really make a young defense look bad - see last week against Wake Forest. I am hopeful that the offense takes a step or two forward this week, but I am afraid that the defense may take a step back. Any turnovers will put this one away quickly. I would love to see us run the ball a lot and run it well, but I don't know if the coaching staff will commit to it, especially if we get down early.

My gut says this isn't a good matchup for us right now.

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Thread is here.
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22646-FB-Duke-VT-Pre-Game-and-In-Game-thread

I'm leaving for Virginia in about 2 hours...tomorrow should be lots of fun. Luckily for Duke our defense is pretty much at capacity, and we'll need their 100% effort against Tyrod Taylor. Cross your fingers for no turnovers, and we can make a game of it.

DevilWearsPrada
10-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Thread is here.
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22646-FB-Duke-VT-Pre-Game-and-In-Game-thread

I'm leaving for Virginia in about 2 hours...tomorrow should be lots of fun. Luckily for Duke our defense is pretty much at capacity, and we'll need their 100% effort against Tyrod Taylor. Cross your fingers for no turnovers, and we can make a game of it.

Have a safe trip!!! And pull the Blue Devils through!!! Its nice in Blacksburg. Cold, but the leaves and drive should be great!!! Get a "W"!!

whereinthehellami
10-22-2010, 01:22 PM
This is an unofficial blog preview (http://blog.techsideline.com/?p=4696?PHPSESSID=9b82ebc6be3f614488ab10a9ff22b296 )from one of the guys from Techsideline. His writing style is fun but kind of out there.

mkline09
10-22-2010, 10:44 PM
If Duke should have won, they would have!

If this is a reference to the xtranormal "Duke Argument" video: Brilliant!

mkline09
10-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Didn't take long for Va. Tech to get on the board. They just marched down the field after a good Duke drive stalled and they failed to convert a fourth and 8.

DevilWearsPrada
10-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Is the game online streaming available? link.....thanks

mkline09
10-23-2010, 12:33 PM

It is the ACC game of the Week so I'm getting it on TV in Durham. But the way this game is looking you might want to consider listening online or radio.

Duvall
10-23-2010, 12:35 PM

Available here (http://www.theacc.com/live/).

DevilWearsPrada
10-23-2010, 12:39 PM
thanks

DevilWearsPrada
10-23-2010, 12:41 PM
dang 14 zippo already......... Those turkeys know how to play football!!!

mkline09
10-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Brandon Connette runs with the ball. Take a drink.

juise
10-23-2010, 12:49 PM
dang 14 zippo already......... Those turkeys know how to play football!!!

Apparently, we're no James Madison.

Duvall
10-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Apparently, we're no James Madison.

It's Virginia Tech. Never expect their level of play to make sense from week to week.

juise
10-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Near pick-6.

It's Virginia Tech. Never expect their level of play to make sense from week to week.

At least there would be something to look forward to other than this every week. :(

mkline09
10-23-2010, 12:53 PM
New quarterback same result unfortunately. Connette tries to force the ball and it is picked off. This one could be ugly.

arnie
10-23-2010, 12:56 PM
New quarterback same result unfortunately. Connette tries to force the ball and it is picked off. This one could be ugly.

Could be ugly? 40 (less 4) years of frustration - this team could be among the worst in that period.

duke09hms
10-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I know that to be the best we have to beat the best, but given the state of our program, now is much too early. We need to quit playing such a tough schedule - more cupcakes on the menu Coach Cut!!

Instead of Alabama, Army, Navy, and Kansas (last year) we need to play some Troys, directional Michigans, and Rices.

DevilWearsPrada
10-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Saw Cut rip the freshman a new one off of the interception.

Time to think about the BB game 2nt. At least that will be enjoyable to watch....

mkline09
10-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Could be ugly? 40 (less 4) years of frustration - this team could be among the worst in that period.

I disagree here. This team is bad, but they are not any worse and certainly not worse then some of those teams in the late 1990s early 2000s. No way. Just not enough experience, or confidence. I am as frustrated as anyone but this is a season you have to just pick apart and look toward next year. Not fun, especially considering the success of the basketball team, but unfortunately neccessary right now.

DevilWearsPrada
10-23-2010, 01:49 PM
I should have gone to the Elon Wofford football game today. But I thought that would push me going to the Duke/St Aug game 2nt.

Listening to Elon on the radio. And have on VT game. I am not even watching the duke game. As the score keeps running up. Duke looks like a high school team.

Rest up before heading to Cameron for the exhibition game this evening.

huied
10-23-2010, 02:31 PM
My hope for the rest of the season is that the games will be close enough that watching the 4th quarter is actually worthwhile. Too many early blowouts makes sitting through these games really difficult. :(

ChrisP
10-23-2010, 02:34 PM
The announcers just said that our punter has been the bright spot of the game for Duke. That is just effing sad.

Let me be clear - I like our punter and he's doing a tremendous job but it's pretty sorry when he's the one bright spot on the team that can be pointed to.

On another note...what the HECK was King doing last week with his sideways running punts against Miami? I guess he was told to do that by the coaches but I thought it was odd given his strong leg.

tommy
10-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Look at the bright side. It's good for Boise St.

chrishoke
10-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Unwatchable football - as bad as franks and Roof days. All the air is out of the balloon.:mad:

Vincetaylor
10-23-2010, 05:37 PM
When was the last time we beat a team who finished with a winning record? I think it's been a really long time.

TruBlu
10-23-2010, 06:11 PM
After two year of building optimism, Duke Football has returned to being the leading cause for Tourettes Syndrome.

Hopefully our younger players, and our offensive play calling will improve over the off-season.

Bluedog
10-23-2010, 06:13 PM
When was the last time we beat a team who finished with a winning record? I think it's been a really long time.

We beat Navy and Vanderbilt in 2008.

duke09hms
10-23-2010, 06:22 PM
So we lost, whatever, it's no surprise. The bigger issue is how did we play? ESPN3 was blacked out in my area, so I couldn't watch.

Did Renfree still play rattled and rush his passes? Poor decision-making still?
How did Connette look?
Did our receivers still drop passes?
What happened on the TOs? Were there other near-TOs?

Duvall
10-23-2010, 06:27 PM
So we lost, whatever, it's no surprise. The bigger issue is how did we play? ESPN3 was blacked out in my area, so I couldn't watch.

How did Connette look?

Yes. Not really.
Like a freshman. Tough kid, though.
Yes.
Pressure from an aggressive defense. Yes.

sagegrouse
10-23-2010, 06:40 PM

How did Connette look?

Duvall has the answers.

The 40,000-foot view is that Duke played effectively for most plays on both offense and defense, but gave up huge plays on defense and never made any real plays on offense, even though there were some plays there to be made.

sagegrouse

Vincetaylor
10-23-2010, 06:42 PM
We beat Navy and Vanderbilt in 2008.

Not as long ago as I thought. It just seems like we haven't beaten a good team in forever.

NYC Duke Fan
10-23-2010, 09:09 PM
I watched the Michigan State-Northwestern game this afternoon and saw an almost upset of an undefeated team by a team whose academic credentials are the equivalent of Duke's and whose football program is light year's ahead of ours.

I am sorry but all the excuses of why Northwestern can field as very compettitive football team and Duke once again will probably be the laughing stock of Division 1 football is no longer valid.

If Northwestern can, Duke should also be able. I thought that Cutcliffe was the answer, but now I am not quite so sure. The program has regressed drastically since last year and all we hear is to wait until next year when we will have more experience. That is unacceptable....so we might win 3 games next year and everyone will cheer because we improved from this miserable season.

I am not advocating to fire Coach Cutcliffe because that would make no sense at this juncture.I just cannot understand why Duke cannot field a compettitive football team while other schools with the same high academic standards , ( Stanford, Northwestern) can

6th Man
10-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I am not advocating to fire Coach Cutcliffe because that would make no sense at this juncture.I just cannot understand why Duke cannot field a compettitive football team while other schools with the same high academic standards , ( Stanford, Northwestern) can

I think the total lack of committment to football by Duke until Cutcliffe was hired will take awhile to overcome. We didn't even have a 100 yard practice field until Coach Cut was hired. We are in somewhat of a transition year this season. Over 50 freshman and sophomores and a talented QB that is in some kind of crazy mental funk.

Still have UVA and B.C. at home and could be winnable games. Been a tough season, but there are a lot of kids playing their first or second year of football. I think we should be worried in 2 years if we are in the same boat as we are this season. I don't think that will happen though.

Sixthman
10-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Still have UVA and B.C. at home and could be winnable games. Been a tough season, but there are a lot of kids playing their first or second year of football. I think we should be worried in 2 years if we are in the same boat as we are this season. I don't think that will happen though.

UNC is winnable too

DevilWearsPrada
10-24-2010, 01:10 AM
UNC lost 2 Miami. Navy beat Notre Dame. Duke got ... beat.

They can still win some games. They lack mental toughness. I know Duke is smaller than other teams, but they are smarter. The Coaching staff is right.

It will take some time. I just wanted to win at least 4 games this season.

So glad, I was at the Duke exhibition basketball game, to ease the pain of Football today.

NYC Duke Fan
10-24-2010, 09:47 AM
I find it interesting that there is only 70 responses to this football post, and not that many after the game. Noone thought that Duke was going to beat Virginia Tech, but there seems to be little concern as to how the football program has regressed so badly from last year. Once again Duke will be at the bottom of Division 1 football.

I read that Duke is playing a lot of sophmores and freshmen and that next year will be better....so will all of Duke's opponents !!!

Teams with the same high academic standards as Duke field very competitive teams, but for whatever the reasons, and some have been explained here, Duke is just unable to do so year in and year out.

Well, I guess that since basketball season is almost here, football is just an afterthought and with the exception of a few, noone really cares.

DevilHorns
10-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I find it interesting that there is only 70 responses to this football post, and not that many after the game. Noone thought that Duke was going to beat Virginia Tech, but there seems to be little concern as to how the football program has regressed so badly from last year. Once again Duke will be at the bottom of Division 1 football.

I read that Duke is playing a lot of sophmores and freshmen and that next year will be better....so will all of Duke's opponents !!!

Teams with the same high academic standards as Duke field very competitive teams, but for whatever the reasons, and some have been explained here, Duke is just unable to do so year in and year out.

Well, I guess that since basketball season is almost here, football is just an afterthought and with the exception of a few, noone really cares.

To be fair, we did lose a lot of key personnel from last year to graduation. I do agree that the "academic" excuse is hogwash as similarly academically challenging programs field very competitive football teams, and one, Stanford, is an annual top-25 team.

We can do it, and I hate to say this, but this is a true rebuilding year in our funk of rebuilding years. If next year is not an improvement, and if 2 years from now our team hasn't substantially improved, then I think heads will roll. Playing 'bama early in the year completely gutted us. We should not be scheduling teams that will completely annihilate any shred of confidence we have. It's not fair to our young team. 3 years from now, sure, if you want to be the best you have to play the best... but not now.

I think we all agree that if we had the same attitude and game play that we had against Wake (in our losing effort I might add) this past Sunday then we would have been much more competitive. We've regressed and I argue it's due to facing teams like 'bama early in the year.

sagegrouse
10-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I find it interesting that there is only 70 responses to this football post, and not that many after the game. Noone thought that Duke was going to beat Virginia Tech, but there seems to be little concern as to how the football program has regressed so badly from last year....

Well, I am happy that this is typically a good news site, not one that bleats "woe is me" at every opportunity or bashes the players and coaches.

That said, no one even bothered to comment on the blown call that flagged Duke for a roughing the kicker penalty in the VT end zone. WE NEVER TOUCHED THE GUY. It was his own blocker that was pushed back into the kicker. I have never seen a roughing the kicker call when no player from the other team was within three feet of the kicker.

I hope the ref gets to sit out a game as a result.

sagegrouse

devilsadvocate85
10-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Non-calls for pass interference on VT on 3rd down on 2 of the first 3 Duke possessions -- in particular the first possession where Duke had driven down the field and was headed for at least field goal position. Not likely to have mattered, but you never know what happens if Duke scores first.

First drive -- receiver (Kelly?) is grabbed by the face mask and then the arm or jersey as he tries to come back for the pass

2nd or 3rd drive (can't remember for sure) -- DB climbs receiver's back (Vernon?) with his hand on top of the receiver's helmet prior to the ball arriving

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-24-2010, 10:45 AM

The truth is that football hasn't caught on much around here. Most of the people want to talk about basketball. If the football team's doing well or least improving noticeably, there might be some conversation. Perhaps this conditional interest comes from years of disappointment and embarrassment. The university's lack of interest and outright lack of support for years have relegated football to the fringes for many people.

Fans tend to view the team's progress from year to year in a linear fashion even though it may be more like sine and cosine curves.

-bdbd
10-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Non-calls for pass interference on VT on 3rd down on 2 of the first 3 Duke possessions -- in particular the first possession where Duke had driven down the field and was headed for at least field goal position. Not likely to have mattered, but you never know what happens if Duke scores first.

First drive -- receiver (Kelly?) is grabbed by the face mask and then the arm or jersey as he tries to come back for the pass

2nd or 3rd drive (can't remember for sure) -- DB climbs receiver's back (Vernon?) with his hand on top of the receiver's helmet prior to the ball arriving

I don't know if it's just the successful teams inimidating or getting the benefit of the doubt from the refs, but it sure seemed that VPI got a ton of marginal calls yesterday... Again, maybe makes no difference in the winner, but certainly could have made a 37 point game something like a much more respectable 21 point game. The phantom roughing the kicker call with VPI punting out of their own endzone late is just one example. (Replays showed the VPI punter tripping over his own player, but a not-all-that-nearby Dukie getting flagged for it.) Their defenders all day were allowed to get away with grabbing, holding and marginally early hits on our WRs. Is it that the refs realize who has the better athletes and just give them the benefit of the doubt in close plays? Or is it like K does in BB, where we just need to realize the style of the reffing early in a game and adapt better to it? Or is it just crowd-intimidation and home-field advantage (example: the huge crowd loudly booing any close pro-Duke calls, or the scoreboard operator using the jumbotron to replay the video of just the pro-Duke close calls, while ignoring the VPI ones?

As if the physical disadsvantages weren't enough, but we have to contend with terrible reffing too? Sheesh.

dukeimac
10-24-2010, 12:22 PM
LOL.

Northwestern, what about Stanford at #12.

No calls, for every call not made for Duke there had to be ones not made for VT. That just sounds like all those guys who say Duke gets the calls in basketball. Is the pot calling the kettle black?

21 point loss instead of a 33 point loss? A loss is a loss isn't it? When the end of the year comes, will you look back and say "yea but the VT loss should have been only 21 points and not 33 points?" All you will know is Duke only won 1 game this season.

UNC's defense will run wild against Duke. It might be a 21 to 7 game but I don't think Duke mounts much offense, maybe 150 - 200 yards and that will be it. UNC's problems are they can't score but they have a good defense. Miami beat UNC by demoralizing UNC and UNC's defense gave up. UNC's offense is terrible and it is hard to go out there and play defense knowing your offense isn't going to do anything. The Duke game will be different. UNC 21 to 7.

Duke football only wins one game this year. The problem with a down season like this is, no good recruits will sign with Duke. You might want to give Cut time but I don't think any good recruits will. IF the football program is to turn around they need a coach who recruits can believe in and I don't see anything Cut has done to do that.

But on the bright side, basketball is here!

House G
10-24-2010, 12:25 PM
The truth is that football hasn't caught on much around here. Most of the people want to talk about basketball. If the football team's doing well or least improving noticeably, there might be some conversation. Perhaps this conditional interest comes from years of disappointment and embarrassment. The university's lack of interest and outright lack of support for years have relegated football to the fringes for many people.

Fans tend to view the team's progress from year to year in a linear fashion even though it may be more like sine and cosine curves.

I've observed that very few schools consistently produce both GREAT football and basketball teams. In the past 30 years, I believe only Michigan and Florida have produced National Champions in both sports. It appears that, in most instances, if you are great in one sport you are not very good in the other or perhaps you are average in both. This was the case at Duke in the early '70s--the basketball was not very good but the football teams were much more competitive. I'm not sure why this is the case but it seems to be a proportional thing.

DevilWearsPrada
10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Coach Cut show did not air today. A political debate took its air time. Probably doesnt matter anyway, but however, I would have like to hear what Coach Cut would say about the game @ VaTech.

There are many many football season holders, that are very disappointed. I heard several saying at the exhibition game last night, they were not renewing their tickets.

I can't even give away my 3 extra tickets. No one wants to go. Several people around me at the BB game last night, said the same thing.

Do we stand a chance at a win or 2 for the remainder of the season?

What is the biggest challenge Duke Football faces? Size, speed? The roster appears to have talent. I would think winning 3-5 games a season should be do able. Is that asking to much? The Coach and staff are a fine group..... I know they are so frustrated.

When we have 4th down.......... why do they kick the ball. Why not go for it??? What do they have to lose? That's the most frustrating thing for me to see, every week.

I am a girl......... but I know the rules of football.

DevilHorns
10-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I've observed that very few schools consistently produce both GREAT football and basketball teams. In the past 30 years, I believe only Michigan and Florida have produced National Champions in both sports. It appears that, in most instances, if you are great in one sport you are not very good in the other or perhaps you are average in both. This was the case at Duke in the early '70s--the basketball was not very good but the football teams were much more competitive. I'm not sure why this is the case but it seems to be a proportional thing.

There was a thread about this during the summer, but teams that have put up (at least in recent years) top tier football and basketball programs include:

UF, Ohio State

Others that deserve consideration include WVU, Wisconsin, Pitt, Mich St.

Bob Green
10-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Do we stand a chance at a win or 2 for the remainder of the season?

I would think winning 3-5 games a season should be do able.

The season isn't over. Duke has five more football games to play in 2010 and I expect we will win a couple of those games. This week at Navy will be tough as we will have to stop the Middies running game but this is a team that lost to Maryland and beat Wake Forest by one point so we should be competitive. Virginia and Boston College are also winnable games as is the season finale against Carolina. Will we be a prohibitive favorite in any of these games? No! However, I for one am not throwing in the towel. This team still has my support.

TruBlu
10-24-2010, 12:58 PM
As previously posted, those two "no-call" pass interferences were huge, in that they were early in the game, and were drive stoppers. The roughing the kicker call was horrible, but the game outcome was pretty much decided.

My biggest concern is our inept play calling. It struck me as odd that most of our second half possessions began with running plays on first down, and sometimes even on second down, even though we had a huge deficit. Did anyone notice that after recovering the on-side kick to start the second half, our first snap was a muffed run? Meanwhile, VT was passing on first down . . . with a huge lead. I think VT coaches have a "killer instinct" while our coaches have a "killed instinct". It concerns me that perhaps our young players (and possible recruits) may have noticed this as well.

AT LEAST CALL PLAYS LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO WIN!

(okay, vent over . . . for now)

DevilWearsPrada
10-24-2010, 01:17 PM
I will still be at the remainder of the football games. However, you cant give away the tickets. I tried. No one wanted to attend the Miami game.

Do you think the team stands a snowballs chance vs Navy? Perhaps, Virginia and BC. A long shot would be the Tarholes. They had some injuries vs Miami last night. The only way a UNC win, is because of all the players not on the team, and the injury list. And Duke would have to have a near perfect game.

I have not seen a near perfect game, since last year vs NCSTATE. Now, that was a perfect game, and perfect WIN.

If somehow, someway, Football could pull Ws with Navy, VA, BC and UNC.......... then thats a successful season, headed in the right direction.

Do you think the team has the mental toughness to think they can win? They are young. They have a wonderful coach and staff, and all the motivation from them.

Alot of you.... talk talk blah blah... While the season holders pay for the tickets, arrange to go to the games, block the time, and devote Saturdays, and time and money to go and see Football.

I just want to be able to see, in the near future, where Duke can go to a bowl game, every 3-4 years. Not even every year. I am resolved in knowing that Duke has always been in my lifetime.........a Basketball school. (Basketball, lacrosse, golf, etc)... other than the Spurrier years.

I go early for the games, and see the team, make the Blue Devil Walk through Blue Devil Alley. Stay for the entire game. Buy a program, every game, Yell and cheer and stay positive.

Its time to compete and WIN!!! Thats the only way, Football is going to get decent recruits. Duke has the best coach for Football and his staff, in my opinion. I really really like Coach Cutcliffe. He is a man of his word, impecable character and integrity. I would want my son to play for a man like that.

6th Man
10-24-2010, 02:35 PM
I attend all the home games as well and always sit on 2 tickets. Maybe Duke should come up with a program to donate your tickets to underpriviledged kids in the Durham community. I would love to give away tickets to some young kids in the community that might not otherwise be able to go. (maybe Duke already does this and I am not aware). I think Duke needs as much community outreach as possible as Duke can't fill a football stadium with students and alumni alone.

Back to the Virginia Tech game. They are a pretty tough team right now. We have seen some progress in the defense going back to Maryland and Miami. Earlier in the year Wake was right there to win if not for some awful drops that turned into picks. Varner could have waltzed into the endzone against Maryland with hardly any time left and the lead. Just not making the plays in those games to win. But painfully close to 3 wins right now. I think we have a chance against UVA and B.C. and very slim chances against Navy and UNC. Wouldah, couldah, shouldah is the story of Duke football.

I just think we have to remain positive as negativity never does anyone any good. I still maintain there are very few teams in the country playing as many sophomores and freshmen as we are right now. We are really having to take our lumps this year. I am by no means comparing Duke basketball and football, but Dawkins and crew had to take a lot of beatings before they got things right in 1986. We just have to stay positive and keep working and that is what Cutcliffe will do.

NYC Duke Fan
10-24-2010, 05:41 PM

I am not talking about winning national championships in both football and basketball, I just want Duke to be competitive in football, that is all. Duke is just not competitive in football. I think that if we played James Madison this year instead of Elon, there is a chance that Duke could not win a game.

Last year, I saw a future for Duke football; I never in my wildest imagination thought that the team could regress so badly this year.

I am curious what the reaction on this Board will be if Duke goes 1-11 with its only win being against Elon. I think the game that was the killer was losing to Army at home b y 14 points. Had they won that game maybe things might be a little different

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Without having read the whole thread yet, I'm pretty sure there is little left to add about the game. I will say that Lane Stadium is an amazing experience. It's not my favorite, but it's pretty cool to see a football game played in that kind of atmosphere. One of the things that surprised me was the lack of a tailgate experience. They do have tailgates, and I'm sure lots of them, but we showed up at 8 for a noon game, and beat just about everyone into our lot. We weren't in a public lot either, but one similar to where the Iron Dukes park for our games, you needed a pass to get in. We only saw one grill lit up in addition to ours. I was expecting the lot to be pretty packed by 8, but it didn't fill up until about 10:30, and most folks just parked and walked to the game right away. Anyways, just an observation about what went on outside the stadium...I have nothing good to say about what transpired inside.

cspan37421
10-24-2010, 06:14 PM
It sure seems to me that NCAA football is pretty thoroughly corrupt. Anyone who has followed UNC's woes - and they've been a barely better than average team - and read last week's Sports Illustrated article on agents paying players - are we to expect to get really above-average talent when there's money and benefits waiting for players at other schools?

Until the NCAA is a credible threat to enforce a level playing field (and I hope we never stoop to cheating - but I know of cases it has cost us players) I'm afraid we're not going anywhere.

Having said that, it would be nice to at least play up to our recruiting class rankings, usu. in the 60-80 range.

DukeDude
10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
I attend all the home games as well and always sit on 2 tickets. Maybe Duke should come up with a program to donate your tickets to underpriviledged kids in the Durham community. I would love to give away tickets to some young kids in the community that might not otherwise be able to go. (maybe Duke already does this and I am not aware). I think Duke needs as much community outreach as possible as Duke can't fill a football stadium with students and alumni alone.

There is a ticket outreach program. My tickets this year came with an pre-paid envelope to send unwanted tickets to this program. I am sure the ticket office can give you more details.

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2010, 06:41 PM
There is a ticket outreach program. My tickets this year came with an pre-paid envelope to send unwanted tickets to this program. I am sure the ticket office can give you more details.
I wish they'd buy up all the tickets available on stubhub for under $5 for the remaining games (thanks Alabama fans) and give them away..that would be cool..and they would still have made money.

Duke of Nashville
10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Without having read the whole thread yet, I'm pretty sure there is little left to add about the game. I will say that Lane Stadium is an amazing experience. It's not my favorite, but it's pretty cool to see a football game played in that kind of atmosphere. One of the things that surprised me was the lack of a tailgate experience. They do have tailgates, and I'm sure lots of them, but we showed up at 8 for a noon game, and beat just about everyone into our lot. We weren't in a public lot either, but one similar to where the Iron Dukes park for our games, you needed a pass to get in. We only saw one grill lit up in addition to ours. I was expecting the lot to be pretty packed by 8, but it didn't fill up until about 10:30, and most folks just parked and walked to the game right away. Anyways, just an observation about what went on outside the stadium...I have nothing good to say about what transpired inside.

They were playing Duke. Wouldn't expect to see them out in full force. Last year they filled up a few of the back lots, and from what I remember stayed well after the game.

We were so competive againgst them last year and almost pulled off the biggest win of Cut's carrer. Also, from what we lost on the defense last year and how young we are overall, we have to give this team another two years and let the retruiting and coaching that the coaches have dedicated themselfs to show on the field. If we do not become bowl eligible in two years, then it is time to panic.

Right now, without having a few wins, and the possibility of going 1-11 the faithful can only stay positive and tell everyone else in two years that "We told you so."

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2010, 07:34 PM
They were playing Duke. Wouldn't expect to see them out in full force. Last year they filled up a few of the back lots, and from what I remember stayed well after the game.

The stadium was packed..it was way full. I just figured they'd be out in force early for tailgating and we didn't see it. This is us at about 8:30am...

1622 (that's tntdevil (with cap) and our friend Ronnie)

devildeac
10-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't know if it's just the successful teams inimidating or getting the benefit of the doubt from the refs, but it sure seemed that VPI got a ton of marginal calls yesterday... Again, maybe makes no difference in the winner, but certainly could have made a 37 point game something like a much more respectable 21 point game. The phantom roughing the kicker call with VPI punting out of their own endzone late is just one example. (Replays showed the VPI punter tripping over his own player, but a not-all-that-nearby Dukie getting flagged for it.) Their defenders all day were allowed to get away with grabbing, holding and marginally early hits on our WRs. Is it that the refs realize who has the better athletes and just give them the benefit of the doubt in close plays? Or is it like K does in BB, where we just need to realize the style of the reffing early in a game and adapt better to it? Or is it just crowd-intimidation and home-field advantage (example: the huge crowd loudly booing any close pro-Duke calls, or the scoreboard operator using the jumbotron to replay the video of just the pro-Duke close calls, while ignoring the VPI ones?

As if the physical disadsvantages weren't enough, but we have to contend with terrible reffing too? Sheesh.

Just talked with one of the managers about this and he agrees this was totally bogus. He said the special teams coach was livid about this call. Another call he said was totally bogus was the TD awarded to vt on a long pass completion, even though Cockrell knocked the ball out of the receivers hands through the endzone before the receiver had crossed the goal line. According to him, replay showed it pretty clearly and vt was still "given" the TD. Cut was as mad at that call as he has ever seen him in the two years he been working as a manager.

That being said, we weren't going to win but piling multiple bad/no calls on a team that he says has worked really hard this year has them feeling rather despondent.

pbc2
10-24-2010, 09:27 PM
There is a program for your unused football tickets.

Mail them to:
Duke Sports Marketing
Attn: Ticket Outreach Program
Box 90557
PO Box 2424
Durham, NC 27715-9943

I will be at the home games and will cheer on the Blue Devils. We lost a few borderline NFL prospects and a lot of leadership from last year's team. I don't expect any of our seniors this year to be considered NFL prospects, but I do expect several of our younger players to get a chance to play on Sundays. That gives me hope for the future and that the program is going in the right direction. While the losses have been painful to watch, I have enjoyed watching individual players improve significantly from early in the season. Kelby Brown is one in particular I enjoy watching - he really has a nose for the ball and is just a freshman. His brother will be coming next year also.

Bob Green
10-24-2010, 09:35 PM
JAnother call he said was totally bogus was the TD awarded to vt on a long pass completion, even though Cockrell knocked the ball out of the receivers hands through the endzone before the receiver had crossed the goal line. According to him, replay showed it pretty clearly and vt was still "given" the TD. Cut was as mad at that call as he has ever seen him in the two years he been working as a manager.

Unfortunately, the replay, shown multiple times on ESPN3, clearly showed the receiver regaining possession of the ball in the back of the end zone before crossing over the end of the end zone. I think the refs got this one right but they clearly blew the roughing the punter call and missed a couple of pass interference calls on the Hokies.

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Unfortunately, the replay, shown multiple times on ESPN3, clearly showed the receiver regaining possession of the ball in the back of the end zone before crossing over the end of the end zone. I think the refs got this one right but they clearly blew the roughing the punter call and missed a couple of pass interference calls on the Hokies.
Even more unfortunate..it wouldn't have mattered. (By the way..standing right in front of the play..the call was correct.)

Newton_14
10-24-2010, 09:53 PM

This is rare! I disagree with Bob Green!! Ok, so I watched the replay over and over again. Ball definitely came out prior to the receiver breaking the plane going into the end-zone. On the back-end I agree the receiver regained possession, but in my view he did not regain full possession until his feet were in the air at which point he flips over sideways out of the back of the end-zone. It was really close, I will admit that. But it sure appeared to me on the replays that his feet were back in the air before he had possession. They never explained which part of the play resulted in the touchdown so we will never know what they ruled on.

chrishoke
10-24-2010, 10:42 PM
It has to b e clear video evidence to overturn a call. The replay was not conclusive either way.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-24-2010, 11:53 PM
I am a new poster. I have been watching Duke football since my freshman year, 1967. I have seen my share of bad teams. I was not able to watch this game but I have some obsevations about the program. Coach Cut is our first real football coach since Spurier. He will get it done. I saw the Alabama and Army games. We simply have too many young kids to be good this year. When you see a freshman start at linebacker such as Kelby Brown, you know he will be great ina couple of years. On top of that the 3rd year almost always seems to be a bad year when a coach is rebuilding. The best recruits from the old regime have graduated. The new Coach is left with the worst recruits of the former coach. The new coach's best recruits are simply too young and not ready. Football is not basketball. There are almost no players who are 1 and dones. Football takes physical maturity. Eighteen year olds don't have it, regardless of their talent level. Everyone needs to have a stiff drink. Things will get better. I expect we have a couple of wins left this year. I think that 2 years from now will be the real breakout year.

NYC Duke Fan
10-25-2010, 02:56 AM
I am a new poster. I have been watching Duke football since my freshman year, 1967. I have seen my share of bad teams. I was not able to watch this game but I have some obsevations about the program. Coach Cut is our first real football coach since Spurier. He will get it done. I saw the Alabama and Army games. We simply have too many young kids to be good this year. When you see a freshman start at linebacker such as Kelby Brown, you know he will be great ina couple of years. On top of that the 3rd year almost always seems to be a bad year when a coach is rebuilding. The best recruits from the old regime have graduated. The new Coach is left with the worst recruits of the former coach. The new coach's best recruits are simply too young and not ready. Football is not basketball. There are almost no players who are 1 and dones. Football takes physical maturity. Eighteen year olds don't have it, regardless of their talent level. Everyone needs to have a stiff drink. Things will get better. I expect we have a couple of wins left this year. I think that 2 years from now will be the real breakout year.

In 2 years Duke's non- conference games are at Stanford, at Vanderbilt, home against Florida International and home against Memphis.

Next year, Duke's non- conference games are at Florida International, and home against Stanford, Richmond and Tulane.

The other 8 games in 2011 and 2012 are against ACC opponents to be determined.Duke has not played Clemsom since 2008 or Florida State for awhile so I guess that they will in the mix somewhere

Duke of Nashville
10-25-2010, 10:00 AM
The stadium was packed..it was way full. I just figured they'd be out in force early for tailgating and we didn't see it. This is us at about 8:30am...

1622 (that's tntdevil (with cap) and our friend Ronnie)

Very nice! I love Blacksburg. I was also refering to tailgating. Unfortunitly, it is very rare that I get to actually watch a Duke game here in TN. Online radio is typically my only option.

Tailgating is like preparing for battle. You eat, enjoy your time that you have, relate with peers, say a few prayers, represent your establishment, and get pumped for competing on the field. VT tailgaters may not have seen it that way on Saturday.

jimsumner
10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Duke's biggest problem right now is mental/emotional/psychological, however you want to phrase it.

Alabama took away Duke's mojo and Duke hasn't gotten it back. I was at the VT game and talked to Cut and some of the players at the post-game. Cut and Matt Daniels used the same word, "shocked," to describe Duke's early deficit. Shocked is not a good place for a football team to be in the middle of a game.

Duke is not being outschemeded or outprepared. Daniels said that Duke had its best week of practice this season going into the VT game and Cutcliffe agreed. VT didn't do anything Duke wasn't prepared for or wasn't expecting.

But Duke doesn't have the emotional resilence it needs right now. Bad things lead to more bad things and no one seems able to stop the trend. The effort is there but effort seemingly coupled with the expectation of failure.

I agree with Cut that confidence cannot be given, it can only be earned. The mojo fairy isn't going to fly over and sprinkle mojo dust on the Duke team.

The coaching staff certainly bears some responsibility for getting Duke out of this funk. They are grown men with lots of experience in their craft, getting paid a lot of money to impart those lessons to their team. They are going to have to do the right things, say the right things to the right people. It's as much art as science.

But ultimately it's on the players. They need to channel their inner Howard Beale, roll down the windows and yell "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore." And mean it. And do it.

I'm still confident in the long-term direction of the program. At the beginning of the season, I thought six wins was this team's ceiling. The six-win scenario was based on wins over Wake, Army and Maryland.

So, that opportunity is gone. But there are some winnable games left on the schedule and it's important that Duke stop the slide and get some Ws and build some momentum for a 2011 season that could be huge in determining the direction of Duke football.

whereinthehellami
10-25-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't know if Duke should be as down on themselves after this one as they are. I know it was 44-7 but they caught VT clicking on all clyinders. They had been building for this kind of complete game for 3-4 weeks now. The coaches had been really drilling the team to go hard from beginnig to end. And I think they actually did a great job...against Duke. But VT needs to do that against the tough teams that are coming up. And Duke should just forget about the game and not harp on it. They looked better gainst Miami. Go back and build on the Miami game and throw the VT tapes out.