PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Rules Prohibit Seth Curry From Championship Ring

wgl1228
10-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Unbelievable and Rediculous! I am at an all time low in support for the NCAA and this only adds to my dismay.

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2010/10/16/seth-curry-gets-eight-stitches-no-championship-ring/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

biscuit30
10-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Unless the rules have changed since 2001 Coach K should know about this rule. Dahntay Jones was also in his transfer season. So did Jones get a ring or not? They are both listed on the championship posters.

wtm001
10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Thats bad news. Maybe he will play harder this season to get his own :p

SCMatt33
10-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Unless the rules have changed since 2001 Coach K should know about this rule. Dahntay Jones was also in his transfer season. So did Jones get a ring or not? They are both listed on the championship posters.

Here is the current rule on awards from the NCAA Division I Manual. It went into effect in 2002 so it has changed since the last one (though I don't know if the change affected the area of concern).

16.1.4.2 Awards for Winning Conference and National Championships. Awards for winning an individual or team conference or national championship may be presented each year, limited in value and number as specified in Figure 16-2. Awards for winning a conference or national championship in a team sport may be provided only to student-athletes who were eligible to participate in the championship event. The total value of any single award received for a national championship may not exceed $415. The total value of any single award received for a conference championship may not to exceed $325, and each permissible awarding agency is subject to a separate $325 limit per award. Each permissible awarding agency may provide only a single award for each championship to each student-athlete. Separate awards may be presented to both the regular-season conference champion and the postseason conference champion (with a separate $325 limitation), but if the same institution wins both the regular-season and postseason conference championship, the combined value of both awards shall not exceed $325. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02)

juise
10-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Thats bad news. Maybe he will play harder this season to get his own :p

Yep, he said so in the article linked above.

Curry, however said that being on last year's championship team without being able to participate in games or receive a championship ring would make him the team's hungriest player.

"I was with them for the ride last year and I didn't get a ring." he said afterward. "I know what it takes to get there, I saw them get there, so I just want to get back there in my playing career."

wtm001
10-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Yep, he said so in the article linked above.

Dang, I didn't even read the article, haha

chrisheery
10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Here is the current rule on awards from the NCAA Division I Manual. It went into effect in 2002 so it has changed since the last one (though I don't know if the change affected the area of concern).

16.1.4.2 Awards for Winning Conference and National Championships. Awards for winning an individual or team conference or national championship may be presented each year, limited in value and number as specified in Figure 16-2. Awards for winning a conference or national championship in a team sport may be provided only to student-athletes who were eligible to participate in the championship event. The total value of any single award received for a national championship may not exceed $415. The total value of any single award received for a conference championship may not to exceed $325, and each permissible awarding agency is subject to a separate $325 limit per award. Each permissible awarding agency may provide only a single award for each championship to each student-athlete. Separate awards may be presented to both the regular-season conference champion and the postseason conference champion (with a separate $325 limitation), but if the same institution wins both the regular-season and postseason conference championship, the combined value of both awards shall not exceed $325. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02)

So . . . those rings are full of FAKE diamonds? $415 wouldn't pay for the way those rings look if they are real.

juise
10-16-2010, 03:44 PM
So . . . those rings are full of FAKE diamonds? $415 wouldn't pay for the way those rings look if they are real.

Doesn't seem like it would be a good or safe idea to hand a piece of $10,000 jewelry to a college kid. I'm sure the sentimental value is immeasurable.

4decadedukie
10-16-2010, 04:15 PM
After Seth GRADUATES and, therefore, is no longer subject to NCAA regulations, "his" 2011 National Championship ring can be presented to him by Duke (the lawful owner) and his teammates.

hughgs
10-16-2010, 04:19 PM
After Seth GRADUATES and, therefore, is no longer subject to NCAA regulations, "his" 2011 National Championship ring can be presented to him by Duke (the lawful owner) and his teammates.

Yes, but Duke is still subject to NCAA regulations so Duke would need to be sure that presenting a ring to Seth Curry doesn't break any rules.

juise
10-16-2010, 08:14 PM

The good news is that Seth still has a shot at earning a 2011 ring. Duke is preseason #1. :p (But yes, if he feels like picking up a 2010 ring to complement it, that would be nice too.)

jimsumner
10-16-2010, 10:15 PM

Krzyzewski knows about the rule.

He just doesn't agree with it.

Very much doesn't agree with it.

msdukie
10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Dahntay received a ring in 2001. There was an ESPN special in 2002 where Dahntay was interviewed and he showed the ring which he kept on display at his parents' house. The rule must have changed.

4decadedukie
10-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Yes, but Duke is still subject to NCAA regulations so Duke would need to be sure that presenting a ring to Seth Curry doesn't break any rules.

I certainly agree; however, it seems to me that any awards Duke wishes to convey to its ALUMNI (especially those who are no longer eligible for intercollegiate competition with NCAA oversight) are matters where the NCAA simply has no jurisdiction.

hughgs
10-17-2010, 07:37 AM
I certainly agree; however, it seems to me that any awards Duke wishes to convey to its ALUMNI (especially those who are no longer eligible for intercollegiate competition with NCAA oversight) are matters where the NCAA simply has no jurisdiction.

I don't pretend to have any clue over the NCAA regulations or the logic behind them, especially when it involves alumni. For example, the NCAA could see payments to alumni as deferred payments for playing at the school. So don't be surprised if the NCAA has a rule in place for this.

Jarhead
10-17-2010, 07:50 AM
I'd say that we have a choice, rules or chaos.

SupaDave
10-17-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm sure something can be worked out. Loopholes are abound in the NCAA's rules. For example - there's a difference between award and gift.

And you can produce a pretty nice $400 ring - especially when buying in bulk. Value and cost are two totally different things.

tallguy
10-17-2010, 09:55 AM

You would be mistaken...as you know, Roy Williams ran afoul of this line of thinking while at Kansas. Once you are a student athlete, you are one for life. Duke cannot give Seth a ring after he graduates...it's unfortunate, but if it motivates Seth even more to get one of his own, then at least there's a silver lining.

biscuit30
10-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Maybe his older brother can buy for him for his birthday.

yancem
10-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Maybe his older brother can buy for him for his birthday.

That brings up a good point. Can Curry get a ring if he pays for it? He was part of the team and something tells me that his family can cover the $400.

chrisheery
10-17-2010, 10:53 AM
That brings up a good point. Can Curry get a ring if he pays for it? He was part of the team and something tells me that his family can cover the $400.

No, according to Coach K in the press conference after CTC.

Olympic Fan
10-17-2010, 11:09 AM

Not unless the ring is also available for sale to non-athletes.

The key to this (and most) NCAA rules is that athletes are not given anything that ordinary students don't get (beyond the things definied in the scholarship agreement such as tuition, books, fees, etc. ... even the housing they get for free must be no better than the housing ordinary students get).

K remarked that he wasn't allowed to buy Seth a ring with money from his own pocket. Stephen couldn't buy one either.

If, at some future date, a Duke guy puts his championship ring up on e-bay or something, Seth or a family member could bid on it like anybody else, but if somebody offered him the exclusive right to buy one, that would be a violation -- and yes, it would still be a violation if both the seller and Seth were out of school.

SupaDave
10-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Not unless the ring is also available for sale to non-athletes.

The key to this (and most) NCAA rules is that athletes are not given anything that ordinary students don't get (beyond the things definied in the scholarship agreement such as tuition, books, fees, etc. ... even the housing they get for free must be no better than the housing ordinary students get).

K remarked that he wasn't allowed to buy Seth a ring with money from his own pocket. Stephen couldn't buy one either.

If, at some future date, a Duke guy puts his championship ring up on e-bay or something, Seth or a family member could bid on it like anybody else, but if somebody offered him the exclusive right to buy one, that would be a violation -- and yes, it would still be a violation if both the seller and Seth were out of school.

Sounds like he's gonna have to settle for team awards, photos, and t-shirts...