PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Hummell torn ACL out for year

NashvilleDevil
10-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Bruce Feldman just tweeted that Hummell tore his ACL Saturday and will miss this season. I hate this for the kid and for Purdue.

NSDukeFan
10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Bruce Feldman just tweeted that Hummell tore his ACL Saturday and will miss this season. I hate this for the kid and for Purdue.

That is terrible news. I feel so bad for him and Purdue, who looked to be solid national title contenders. They will still be good, but that hurts a lot.

SuperTurkey
10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Oh, man, that's awful. He can redshirt and come back next year, right?

Turtleboy
10-16-2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.jconline.com/article/20101016/NEWS0901/101016007

DukeBlueNV
10-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Wow! That really is a shame... :(

JasonEvans
10-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Wow, he had only been cleared to return to play a couple weeks ago after originally tearing his ACL in February and now he tears it again?!?!?! Just awful.

For Hummel this is especially difficult news because this cements the "injury prone" label he was already carrying around and severely diminishes his NBA stock.

I do imagine that the NCAA will grant him an extra year of eligibility next season but his most talented teammates will likely have moved on and Purdue would not project to be nearly as much of a title contender as they would have this season.

I feel for this kid. I hope he comes back strong and has a long injury-free career in basketball from now on!

--Jason "the Big Ten just opened up nicely for Mich St" Evans

Lord Ash
10-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Feel terrible for him... what a setback. He injured it today... when did practices even start?

Anyone know if it is the same knee?

Saratoga2
10-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Just one day into practice andd the poor kid has another ACL tear. Maybe he should think hard about continuing to pursue a basketball career. Be interested in how the doctors feel about experiencing two tears and the liklihood of a recovery. Anyway, it is tough on the kid and tough on the program.

Duke: A Dynasty
10-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Feel terrible for him... what a setback. He injured it today... when did practices even start?

Anyone know if it is the same knee?

Injured it this morning I would think during practice. Practices officially started today I thought. I know they have been allowed a couple hours a week. And yes it was the exact same acl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5691032

Double DD
10-16-2010, 01:25 PM
I do imagine that the NCAA will grant him an extra year of eligibility next season but his most talented teammates will likely have moved on and Purdue would not project to be nearly as much of a title contender as they would have this season.

He doesn't need one, he hasn't used his redshirt season yet.

wilko
10-16-2010, 01:34 PM
DAAAG...
When I 1st saw this I thought it was an old thread. Horrible for him.
Hope he can pull it together and mend quickly.

just dag..

SCMatt33
10-16-2010, 01:47 PM
This is probably the worst I have ever felt for a player on a team that I don't actively root for. They all came back to go all in for this year. You hate to see this happen to anyone, but Hummell especially. I am just stunned right now. I can't even put this in words.

ThePublisher
10-16-2010, 02:02 PM
It is a huge shame, and it is the same knee as before. Hopefully he can have a quick recovery and be back even better next year.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-16-2010, 02:14 PM
It is a huge shame, and it is the same knee as before. Hopefully he can have a quick recovery and be back even better next year.

It can only be so quick, ya know? With re-tears, doctors usually ask for 10-12 months before you are back on the court/field. I re-tore mine 7 months post-op. I am still waiting to get mine redone, but I plan on it this winter. My doctor sees no reason why I can't be back at full strength on the court in 12 months. Robbie is obviously in great shape so he'll be back. He;ll never be the same, I guarantee you that, but he can still be a good player. Its hard to describe how badly i feel for the kid. Not saying Duke has an easy path now, but it did just get a bit easier, but you hate to see it happen this way. Get well Robbie and keep your head up!

SCMatt33
10-16-2010, 02:19 PM

I'm not a medical expert, so I'm hoping one can weigh in on this, but this is the second time in 8 months that he tore the same ACL. The first time he tore it, I remember hearing that they had to use a piece of the patella tendon in his healthy knee to repair it (I have no idea if that is normal for an ACL tear). I would imagine that for his long term health, they would be very deliberate about his recovery this time, especially with 14 months until the next time he could play in another game (assuming he uses his redshirt, which he still has available).

Is there an expert who can confirm this or tell me why I don't know anything about the knee and explain what his prospects really are?

4decadedukie
10-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Just terrible, for Hummell, for Purdue, and for this season's college hoops. The very first practice and a legitimate superstar is out for the season. Even worse - and I am not a doctor - I would assume two serious injuries to the same ACL within nine months could be career terminating.

RoyalBlue08
10-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Man, I feel so bad for this kid. Sometimes life is just not fair.

Atlanta Duke
10-16-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm not a medical expert, so I'm hoping one can weigh in on this, but this is the second time in 8 months that he tore the same ACL. The first time he tore it, I remember hearing that they had to use a piece of the patella tendon in his healthy knee to repair it (I have no idea if that is normal for an ACL tear). I would imagine that for his long term health, they would be very deliberate about his recovery this time, especially with 14 months until the next time he could play in another game (assuming he uses his redshirt, which he still has available).

Is there an expert who can confirm this or tell me why I don't know anything about the knee and explain what his prospects really are?

This explanation is not from a doctor but confirms that the tendon came from his non-injured knee

His surgeon elected to take the patella tendon from Hummel’s good knee instead of a graft from his injured left leg. Though that left Hummel technically with two knees to rehab, the rationale is that taking the graft from the injured leg only weakens it further. This sort of surgery speeds along the rehab process.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/16688/parallel-path-of-hummel-and-sumpter

Terrible blow to Robbie Hummel and Purdue - hope he can fully recover

soccerstud2210
10-16-2010, 03:23 PM
terrible terrible situation. prayers go out to him and a speedy recovery.

gotta love this attitude though. told Jeff Goodman, " I have a year and a half to get ready now"

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/10/16/impossible_to_be_objective_on_hummel

blazindw
10-16-2010, 04:38 PM
That's just devastating for him and for his team. I always liked his game and what he brought to the basketball court. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dukeface88
10-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear this. Just a horrible break for him and the team. Hope the rehab goes well and he's able to recover.

Faison1
10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
My heart hurts for the guy. That is absolutely tragic.

He doesn't deserve that, and neither do his teammates.

DevilOfATime
10-16-2010, 05:51 PM
This sucks big time for Purdue and their fans. My Brother-ln-law and my sister both went to school at Purdue and graduated from their years back they are huge Purdue fans. My brother in law was talking about our teams Duke and Purdue just last night we were talking about Robbie on how he is such a great player and a great player on Purdue team we were saying that Purdue had a good chance this year we was also joking around with each other if Purdue and Duke met up again. I was shocked when I heard about it today. Poor kid can't get a break. I hope he recovers from it and will be back for his 5th year.

JasonEvans
10-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Andy Katz of ESPN had Purdue at #2 in his preseason poll (behind you-know-who). He has updated his poll to reflect the loss of Hummel and now has Purdue at #23.

--Jason "what a horrible break for this team!" Evans

DevilHorns
10-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Wow. My heart goes out to Hummel and the Purdue fanbase.

I'm not an orthopedist, but I do know that if a torn ACL is reconstructed and tears again, a second reconstruction is even more likely to tear. In other words being "injury prone" in regards to this specific ACL is perhaps fitting. Dana O'Neill has an ESPN blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/16688/parallel-path-of-hummel-and-sumpter) up showcasing the parallel paths of Curtis Sumpter in regards to a re-torn ACL. Sumpter ended up having a basketball life overseas.

This is rough. I really hope he didn't push accelerating rehab to playing time when everything wasn't 100% optimal for his knee. According to this quote from Andy Katz' blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/16692/hummel-news-felt-across-the-country), this may perhaps have been the case:

"Hummel was healthy and ready to play this season after suffering a torn right ACL on Feb. 24 at Minnesota. Late Friday night, during ESPNU’s Midnight Madness coverage, he told ESPN.com that he was close to being 100 percent back."

Then again, he could just be referring to the status of his athletic ability pre-injury to now, and not necessarily talking about his ACL specifically. Regardless, this stinks. Poor kid.

COYS
10-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Major bummer. I have a few friends who are big Purdue fans and from all I've heard from them it seems evident that this is just a terrible break for a good man and a classy program. Hoping for a miracle comeback for Robbie.

jipops
10-16-2010, 11:11 PM
This isn't fair at all. It's downright cruel really. I'll really be pulling for this kid. College basketball will be missing a major, major talent and by all accounts a great guy. I sincerely hope it works out for him to comeback again.

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Really sucks for him (of course for the team as well, but I think the personal issues are much greater). I hope he's able to recover fully and continue his basketball career...he's a heck of a player.

Its a shame though...this injury stigma is going to follow him for years even if he is able to stay healthy. It could affect his draft stock and his leverage in negotiating contracts. Really feel for this guy.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Wow. My heart goes out to Hummel and the Purdue fanbase.

I'm not an orthopedist, but I do know that if a torn ACL is reconstructed and tears again, a second reconstruction is even more likely to tear. In other words being "injury prone" in regards to this specific ACL is perhaps fitting. Dana O'Neill has an ESPN blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/16688/parallel-path-of-hummel-and-sumpter) up showcasing the parallel paths of Curtis Sumpter in regards to a re-torn ACL. Sumpter ended up having a basketball life overseas.

This is rough. I really hope he didn't push accelerating rehab to playing time when everything wasn't 100% optimal for his knee. According to this quote from Andy Katz' blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/16692/hummel-news-felt-across-the-country), this may perhaps have been the case:

"Hummel was healthy and ready to play this season after suffering a torn right ACL on Feb. 24 at Minnesota. Late Friday night, during ESPNU’s Midnight Madness coverage, he told ESPN.com that he was close to being 100 percent back."

Then again, he could just be referring to the status of his athletic ability pre-injury to now, and not necessarily talking about his ACL specifically. Regardless, this stinks. Poor kid.

I hate to do this, but I do question why he was on the court practicing. What's the reasoning for it? ACL's are tricky and I know that doctor's probably cleared him, but these things take time to conform to your surrounding joints. Maybe another month would've done him well while continuing rehab and light basketball workouts. I know this is easy for me to say, but if he tore it in practice, I wonder if he was in good enough shape to be out there with his team.

DevilHorns
10-17-2010, 02:00 AM
I hate to do this, but I do question why he was on the court practicing. What's the reasoning for it? ACL's are tricky and I know that doctor's probably cleared him, but these things take time to conform to your surrounding joints. Maybe another month would've done him well while continuing rehab and light basketball workouts. I know this is easy for me to say, but if he tore it in practice, I wonder if he was in good enough shape to be out there with his team.

It's a touchy thing to talk about for sure, but I 100% agree with you. I read on some other boards that he put on 15lbs of upper body muscle since his first ACL tear. Thats 15 lbs more of weight his rehabilitating lower body has to deal with when he begins full throttle practice. From what I've read the injury occurred in a sequence where he was high up in the air contesting a shot. On the way down he landed normally but with a good deal of force as one would expect. It wasn't a freak injury or a weird twist and fall or anything like that from what I've gathered. I really hope he didn't feel an awkward amount of pressure to come back early and start the season full throttle. Maybe he was so advanced in rehabilitation that he was cleared enthusiastically to do so, who knows. Really stinks for him. I hope he can keep his spirits up and persevere through this.

moonpie23
10-17-2010, 09:18 PM
total bummer......i hope he rehabs it and gets back in the game...

ACCBBallFan
10-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Sammy Zeglinski now out too, joins KT Thompson and Allan Chaney in ACC injured reserve.

Open up some PT for Jontel Evans a proimising frosh.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-virginia-zeglinski

Hate to see any kid have to sit out due to injury.

D.C. Devil
10-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Ken Pomery has a pretty good piece of analysis up on his blog, which argues that the analysts might be a little too quick to bury a Hummel-less Purdue.*

The nut of his argument is that there is a huge gulf between the quality of a consensus top-3 college basketball squad (as Purdue was) and a team on the cusp of the top 25 (as pollsters currently seem to think Purdue now is), and that gulf is larger than any one player.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/a_few_paragraphs_about_purdue/

And, obviously, I feel tremendously bad for Hummel. He seems like a great kid and I wish him a full recovery and a long career.

*I've got a lot of respect for Ken -- who, as we will recall, was among the very few commentators who believed Duke to be an elite team throughout last year.

Acymetric
10-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Ken Pomery has a pretty good piece of analysis up on his blog, which argues that the analysts might be a little too quick to bury a Hummel-less Purdue.*

The nut of his argument is that there is a huge gulf between the quality of a consensus top-3 college basketball squad (as Purdue was) and a team on the cusp of the top 25 (as pollsters currently seem to think Purdue now is), and that gulf is larger than any one player.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/a_few_paragraphs_about_purdue/

And, obviously, I feel tremendously bad for Hummel. He seems like a great kid and I wish him a full recovery and a long career.

*I've got a lot of respect for Ken -- who, as we will recall, was among the very few commentators who believed Duke to be an elite team throughout last year.

Pomeroy is a great resource for stats and obviously a really smart guy, but I'm not sure I buy this argument. How good is Duke without Redick, J-Will, S-Will (hmm...that doesn't quite roll off the tongue, does it?), and the list goes on.

One player can make a big difference. Maybe they'll still be top 10 or 15, but after you lose your top player, especially a player like Hummel, voters can't give the benefit of the doubt. Purdue will have plenty of chances to prove that ranking is low, but for now I think the ranking is pretty reasonable.

JasonEvans
10-21-2010, 12:59 PM

As usual, Pomeroy demonstrates that he is smarter than all most of us.

Look at it this way – Temple was previously 23rd in Katz’s list. If you added a healthy Hummel to Temple, I don’t think you would consider the Owls to be national-title material. If you think Hummel had some special value to Purdue that he wouldn’t have on another team, leave him out of the argument for a second. Pick any player in college basketball and add him to Temple’s roster. He still couldn’t make the Owls’ the second-best team in America.

Hard to argue with that logic. I wish he had chimed in with where he thinks Purdue now stands nationally. I still see them as a top 15-ish kinda club.

-Jason "gotta love the KenPom ratings!" Evans

pfrduke
10-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Pomeroy is a great resource for stats and obviously a really smart guy, but I'm not sure I buy this argument. How good is Duke without Redick, J-Will, S-Will (hmm...that doesn't quite roll off the tongue, does it?), and the list goes on.

One player can make a big difference. Maybe they'll still be top 10 or 15, but after you lose your top player, especially a player like Hummel, voters can't give the benefit of the doubt. Purdue will have plenty of chances to prove that ranking is low, but for now I think the ranking is pretty reasonable.

Well, to think of this another way, imagine (and I shudder at the mere thought) that Singler gets injured and goes down for the season. Singler is every bit the player Robbie Hummel is (if not better), but I highly doubt that Duke would drop from #1 to #21 if it suddenly found itself without Kyle Singler. If the talent surrounding Hummel was good enough to make them #2 or #3 with him, it's good enough to make them better than #23 without him.

robed deity
10-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Just last year-they hung with Duke till late in the second half without him. I realize Kramer (good defender and glue guy) graduated and it's a different team this year, but still. They'll still be tough I think.

Acymetric
10-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Well, to think of this another way, imagine (and I shudder at the mere thought) that Singler gets injured and goes down for the season. Singler is every bit the player Robbie Hummel is (if not better), but I highly doubt that Duke would drop from #1 to #21 if it suddenly found itself without Kyle Singler. If the talent surrounding Hummel was good enough to make them #2 or #3 with him, it's good enough to make them better than #23 without him.

The difference here (purely my perception) is that Purdue is more reliant on Hummel than we are on Singler (or Nolan). This Duke team has 2 guys that could be frontrunners for NPOY were they on separate teams (even if both are performing well the media will probably pick 1 to focus on). Maybe even 3 if you consider that Kyrie could challenge for that award if he sticks around.

I think Hummel carries more of a load on his own than any of our players this year...we have more balance. Talk of putting various players on other teams and what their ranking might be is pretty far out into the land of hypotheticals, much like the transitive property of sports (we beat x, and they beat y, so we should definitely beat y).

Like I said, it may be that they are still a top 10 or 15 club, but there is a lot of uncertainty and in general when voters are uncertain they guess low unless its a marquee team (think Notre Dame, and yes, Duke from time to time as well).

Kedsy
10-21-2010, 01:38 PM
As usual, Pomeroy demonstrates that he is smarter than all most of us.

Look at it this way – Temple was previously 23rd in Katz’s list. If you added a healthy Hummel to Temple, I don’t think you would consider the Owls to be national-title material. If you think Hummel had some special value to Purdue that he wouldn’t have on another team, leave him out of the argument for a second. Pick any player in college basketball and add him to Temple’s roster. He still couldn’t make the Owls’ the second-best team in America.

Hard to argue with that logic. I wish he had chimed in with where he thinks Purdue now stands nationally. I still see them as a top 15-ish kinda club.

-Jason "gotta love the KenPom ratings!" Evans

Well, I think it depends on the player. Do you remember Larry Bird's Indiana State team? Without Bird, that team was a lower-middle of the pack MVC team (and nowhere near the national rankings). With him they went undefeated until the national title game (and were ranked #1 in the country).

That's an extreme example, and I'm not suggesting Hummel is Bird, but in college basketball one player can be the difference between a title contender and a lower ranked or unranked team.

JasonEvans
10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Well, I think it depends on the player. Do you remember Larry Bird's Indiana State team? Without Bird, that team was a lower-middle of the pack MVC team (and nowhere near the national rankings). With him they went undefeated until the national title game (and were ranked #1 in the country).

That's an extreme example, and I'm not suggesting Hummel is Bird, but in college basketball one player can be the difference between a title contender and a lower ranked or unranked team.

Certainly there are players who can take a team from good (or decent) to great all on their own. Pomeroy says an 18-year-old Shaq might have been able to do that for the current Temple team (though I think Pomeroy is not recalling what Shaq was like as a freshman at LSU -- he wasn't an All-American until his soph season).

One can cite many other examples of players over the years who would have made an overnight difference on a team -- David Robinson is a great example at Navy.

Pomeroy's point is that there is no one in college basketball TODAY who could do that. Unless we think Hummell is that kind of talent (and no one is suggesting that he is) then dropping a team from #2 to #23 does not make sense to Pomeroy.

--Jason "as I said, I am inclined to agree with Mr. KenPom" Evans

camion
10-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Certainly there are players who can take a team from good (or decent) to great all on their own. Pomeroy says an 18-year-old Shaq might have been able to do that for the current Temple team (though I think Pomeroy is not recalling what Shaq was like as a freshman at LSU -- he wasn't an All-American until his soph season).

One can cite many other examples of players over the years who would have made an overnight difference on a team -- David Robinson is a great example at Navy.

Pomeroy's point is that there is no one in college basketball TODAY who could do that. Unless we think Hummell is that kind of talent (and no one is suggesting that he is) then dropping a team from #2 to #23 does not make sense to Pomeroy.

--Jason "as I said, I am inclined to agree with Mr. KenPom" Evans

Aha, you are obviously forgetting the Black Falcon!!

JayZee
10-21-2010, 03:14 PM

A great link from KemPom's blog. Sorry for drifting a little off topic...
http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/one_shining_e-mail/

greybeard
10-21-2010, 04:19 PM
It can only be so quick, ya know? With re-tears, doctors usually ask for 10-12 months before you are back on the court/field. I re-tore mine 7 months post-op. I am still waiting to get mine redone, but I plan on it this winter. My doctor sees no reason why I can't be back at full strength on the court in 12 months. Robbie is obviously in great shape so he'll be back. He;ll never be the same, I guarantee you that, but he can still be a good player. Its hard to describe how badly i feel for the kid. Not saying Duke has an easy path now, but it did just get a bit easier, but you hate to see it happen this way. Get well Robbie and keep your head up!

Just a theory that occurred to me a few weeks ago when I went to see my son's childhood friend play for his college team and learned that he had blown his ACL again, after sitting out most of last year, being operated on, and rehabing. The theory is based upon what I know of the guy, his name is Craig, how he plays, and what I noticed about him as he played that evening. Well, for what it's worth, here goes.

We all have a dominent leg, a leg that we stand over (on) more solidly than the other. Some, the dominent leg is much more solid, which sounds like a good thing but, if my theory is correct, maybe not so much.

A feature of a dominent leg is that the pelvis on that side, and by definition, will not tilt up; the core muscles on the other side are so constricted, perenially constricted, relative to the muscles on the other side, that they preclude that action. Similarly, if someone were to put weight on the shoulder on that side, the torso would not tilt.

Now, if a person's style of play calls for one to cross over by planting the dominent leg, the hip/pelvis will not create room to accomodate the added pressure, and the plant is such as to cause a vector of force through the knee joint going out and up, somethings got to give. My recollection, Craig's money move in soccer was a beautiful crossover off his right leg. Even with a brace, that was the leg that he stood most strongly on all game; he almost uniformly pushed off that leg when starting to run, which makes sense since the other leg is much lighter feeling, much easier to lift, because the pelvis on that side lifts, and the big muscles can do the work.

So, which is your dominent leg and is it your style to put stopping and reverse-direction pressure on that leg.

If you don't know which leg is your dominent one, when you cross your leg over and rest the side of the lower leg above your knee in sitting, which leg are you most likely to cross first. If I asked you to stand on one leg, without thinking, do it. Both will probably be your dominent one. Most definitely the leg you are likely to stand on. In your case, if your leg is injured and at all unstable, the test might not be the best, but I should think that it will be habbitual and you will have your answer.

Otherwise, just ask a friend to stand facing you with his hands resting on top of your torso on either side of your head, just inside your shoulder joint. Have him lean slowly one way without pushing with his arms, just the weight his leaning body imparts. He lets your return to upright. Repeats two or three or five times. Do not resist but do not help (the reason for repeating). Just stand as normal. Then he tilts the other way. One way should be much easier, should yield much easier and much further than the other. The other is your dominent side/leg.

If your dominent leg happens to be the leg you have now twice hurt, I would ask the PT you see in rehab what he or she can do to help with the movement of your hip/pelvis on that side upwards. If the PT looks at you blankly, you might want to see one of my guys.

Best of luck. By the way, you might want to consider, even if you have surgery and all goes swimmingly, giving up playing whatever game it is that you love but oh so ain't lovin you back. Replacement knees currently are not the most reliable, which is an understatement. Grey

davekay1971
10-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Nice article on SI.com by Luke Wynn on Robbie Hummel and his family. Sounds like a great kid and a nice family. Well worth a read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/10/20/purdue.hummel/index.html

DevilHorns
10-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Just a theory that occurred to me a few weeks ago when I went to see my son's childhood friend play for his college team and learned that he had blown his ACL again, after sitting out most of last year, being operated on, and rehabing. The theory is based upon what I know of the guy, his name is Craig, how he plays, and what I noticed about him as he played that evening. Well, for what it's worth, here goes.

We all have a dominent leg, a leg that we stand over (on) more solidly than the other. Some, the dominent leg is much more solid, which sounds like a good thing but, if my theory is correct, maybe not so much.

A feature of a dominent leg is that the pelvis on that side, and by definition, will not tilt up; the core muscles on the other side are so constricted, perenially constricted, relative to the muscles on the other side, that they preclude that action. Similarly, if someone were to put weight on the shoulder on that side, the torso would not tilt.

Now, if a person's style of play calls for one to cross over by planting the dominent leg, the hip/pelvis will not create room to accomodate the added pressure, and the plant is such as to cause a vector of force through the knee joint going out and up, somethings got to give. My recollection, Craig's money move in soccer was a beautiful crossover off his right leg. Even with a brace, that was the leg that he stood most strongly on all game; he almost uniformly pushed off that leg when starting to run, which makes sense since the other leg is much lighter feeling, much easier to lift, because the pelvis on that side lifts, and the big muscles can do the work.

So, which is your dominent leg and is it your style to put stopping and reverse-direction pressure on that leg.

If you don't know which leg is your dominent one, when you cross your leg over and rest the side of the lower leg above your knee in sitting, which leg are you most likely to cross first. If I asked you to stand on one leg, without thinking, do it. Both will probably be your dominent one. Most definitely the leg you are likely to stand on. In your case, if your leg is injured and at all unstable, the test might not be the best, but I should think that it will be habbitual and you will have your answer.

Otherwise, just ask a friend to stand facing you with his hands resting on top of your torso on either side of your head, just inside your shoulder joint. Have him lean slowly one way without pushing with his arms, just the weight his leaning body imparts. He lets your return to upright. Repeats two or three or five times. Do not resist but do not help (the reason for repeating). Just stand as normal. Then he tilts the other way. One way should be much easier, should yield much easier and much further than the other. The other is your dominent side/leg.

If your dominent leg happens to be the leg you have now twice hurt, I would ask the PT you see in rehab what he or she can do to help with the movement of your hip/pelvis on that side upwards. If the PT looks at you blankly, you might want to see one of my guys.

Best of luck. By the way, you might want to consider, even if you have surgery and all goes swimmingly, giving up playing whatever game it is that you love but oh so ain't lovin you back. Replacement knees currently are not the most reliable, which is an understatement. Grey

I was waiting for you to add some notes on this! Glad to see you back. Now, countodown until Jumbo shows up!