PDA

View Full Version : CTC Blue/White Postgame

Newton_14
10-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Post your CTC Blue/White game comments here. I will close the other thread.

moonpie23
10-15-2010, 11:42 PM
AWE-FREAKING-SOME.....what an amazing night...

the main thing that stood out to me was Hariston and Thornton played with focus and a bit of a chip......i was impressed with both...

kelly seemed more confident....if he plays real games with that confidence, he'll be much better this year...

tonight was NOT mason's night....miles abused him on a number of occasions....i thought miles moved better without the ball.....mason just seemed not aggressive....

Kyle and nolan were, well....kyle and nolan...

Dre started slow, but got the lid off and looked for his shot more in the second half...

Now, kyrie........wow....i don't think he was out to blow everyone away tonight, but i saw moves i haven't seen since jason williams.....and i loved every second of it..

One sequence kyrie put moves on nolan and scored, nolan came right back and showed his own moves.....and these two guys are gonna be playing TOGETHER!!!!!!

we will miss zoubs......someone has to step up and be a monster rebounder....

BigZ
10-15-2010, 11:46 PM
unfortunately i didn't get to see the game. sounds like everyone was good. it seems like one frosh always plays out of their mind in this game and it sounds like it was Josh tonight. I first thought he would have a similar game to Lance but it doesn't sound that way, what former Dukie would you compare Josh to?

wtm001
10-15-2010, 11:50 PM
I was scared when Curry left the game and I thought Mason was gonna kill Miles after blocking his shot.

30scheyer
10-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Just got home from the amazing C2C, turned on ESPNU finishing up their UK showcase and showing Duke! They showed the frosh player intros and highlights with promises of more...BTW Miles had quite the intro himself on an unicycle!!!

Before the scrimmage started the Duke University Improv videos provided entertainment as well as a peek at how much bigger and stronger Ryan Kelly is. Then in the game Ryan showed what he can do with the size...he gets my preseason vote for most improved.

Kyrie is the real deal as he makes the players around him better...The Crazies chanted for Austin and for Marshall...then begged Austin to come and sit with them. He declined preferring his seat right behind Coach K.

Hopefully the slam dunk contest will find its way to youtube or goduke cuz you will want to see the studs in action with their varied accomplices including Blue Devil, Casey, and a kid with great blue devil hair. I've given away enough already....

Bluedog
10-16-2010, 12:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-TuYw-teo8

For those who missed it...championship trophy presentation and dedication to seniors. Edit: Just for full disclosure, it wasn't me who recorded this video. I just found it on youtube.

And here's an intro video courtesy of Duke Blue Planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj2E6gwwyp8

-bdbd
10-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Great to see the freshmen making an early impact.

It sounds like it was an incredible night... wish I could have been there. Thanks to Bluedog for posting some video of the NC banner ceremony!!

Can we get any more comments about the recruits who were in attendance? Did QC look really into it? How about the already-committed guys -- AR, Marshall, Michael? How about any of the others - Rasheed, Amile, Tony, Rodney...or any others recognizable??

Expected attendees:
Marshall Plumlee
Michael Gbinije
Austin Rivers
Quinn Cook
Rasheed Suliamon
Amile Jefferson
Tony Parker
Rodney Purvis

:confused:

wtm001
10-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Great to see the freshmen making an early impact.

It sounds like it was an incredible night... wish I could have been there. Am hoping to see some video of the NC banner/rings ceremony soon.

Can we get any more comments about the recruits who were in attendance? Did QC look really into it? How about the already-committed guys -- AR, Marshall, Michael? How about any of the others - Rasheed, Amile, Tony, Rodney...or any others recognizable??

Expected attendees:
Marshall Plumlee
Michael Gbinije
Austin Rivers
Quinn Cook
Rasheed Suliamon
Amile Jefferson
Tony Parker
Rodney Purvis

:confused:

Austin Rivers didn't look into it at all, except for when the crazies were chanting "Austin Rivers"

Greg_Newton
10-16-2010, 12:37 AM
unfortunately i didn't get to see the game. sounds like everyone was good. it seems like one frosh always plays out of their mind in this game and it sounds like it was Josh tonight. I first thought he would have a similar game to Lance but it doesn't sound that way, what former Dukie would you compare Josh to?

Roshown McLeod with a little less length and a little more polish, maybe? From our recent players, probably more like an underclassman Kyle Singer. Not saying he's as at the same level, but his style of play is similar, except he dribbles/penetrates less and moves off the ball more.

He also appears to know how to use his body very well, kind of like Brand did. Of course, he's anywhere near as big, long, or good, he just has a powerful backside and knows how to use it to establish space around the rim.

He plays below the rim, but he didn't seem at all lost in the speed of the game and was a very efficient offensive player in the second half.

jipops
10-16-2010, 12:42 AM
I think Hairston gets the Melchionni award tonight. Yeah the kid had a nice 2nd scrimmage but most of his scores were of the catch and shoot variety ala Kyrie. He did have one very nice up and under though. I haven't bought into the belief that Josh is going to be a part of the regular rotation this season though (he shows promise, but is he really ready?). I was actually very pleased with Kelly's play. He is noticeably stronger and fought hard on the glass, on a few occasions he easily got the best of Josh on the boards. What I really liked from Kelly is how he hunted his shot. I feel confident he'll be a major contributer in the rotation.

Seth is going to do a lot of damage this year, as long as it's not to his own face. I really like the kid's defense. He has a reputation as a scorer but as a defender he seems solid as well. Having a guy come off the bench that can play either guard position just gives us that much more depth.

I couldn't really discern much from the Plumlees in this one. They certainly have no issue getting up and down the court. I feel like their improvement is a pretty big point of focus as the season unfolds. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Kelly steal a starting nod a few times.

Andre had the misfortune of being defended by Singler in the 1st scrimmage. He couldn't get any daylight. I wonder in how many real game situations he'll have a 6-8 Pre-season all american guarding him?

Kyrie, Kyle, Nolan - those guys are pretty good.

Olympic Fan
10-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Just some unrelated impressions:

-- Both Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton were extremely nervous and tentative in the first half. Both played confidently and impressively in the second. Maybe it was the fact that all three freshmen played together in the second half that made a difference. Josh benefited from some great passes from Kyrie and Tyler.

Big Z asked who Hairston's game resembles. In the first half, I would have said Lance -- maybe a little stronger physically, but he looked awful on offense -- he couldn't shoot and he couldn't finish. In the second half, he looked like the reincarnation of Roshown McLeod -- both for his quick moves underneath and his deadly mid-range jumper. He had 18 of his game-high 20 points in the second 12 minutes, hitting 9 of 10 shots. I thought the most impressive play was when he took an off-target dish from Kyrie and scored -- the pass was behind his head, but he reached back tight his right hand and tipped the ball to his left hand and in almost the same motion used the left hand to lay it in.

-- Thornton was a defensive beast and was a good ballhandler, penetrator, distributor, but in the first half he looked awful on his shot. In the second half, he settled down and knocked down two open 3s. K said afterwards that he would play because of his defense ... but that Tyler was really working on his stand-still 3-point shot before defenses would back off of him and he'd get open looks.

-- Kyrie ... what can you say. It took him seconds to make his mark. Seth Curry came up with the opening tip and as he's letting everybody go by him, Kyrie picks his pocket then takes off and scores 6 seconds into the game (he really had to power up the layup vs. Seth, who recovered quickly).

Kyrie finished with 11 points 10 assists (1 turnover) 5 rebounds and 3 steals -- in 24 minutes of action. He played on the winning team in the first half (with Kyle, Nolan and the two Plumlees) and on the winning team in the second half (the three freshmen, Seth and Mason).

-- Seth had 9 points in 15 minutes. He took an elbow to the eye and missed a lot of time while he was getting 8 stitches.

-- Ryan Kelly 11 points, 7 rebounds and 3 steals; Tyler 10 points 6 assists (1 turnover); Miles 8 points, 9 rebounds and one ride on a unicycle; Mason 6 points (the least for a scholarship guy), 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks and 2 steals

-- Coach K pointed out that the team had practiced together just two hours over the last two weeks, so it's not surprising that they looked a little disjointed early.

-- Andre had a terrible 20 minutes, then exploded for 8 points in the last four. He followed that up by edging Miles in the dunk contest -- getting an assist from his little brother to make the finals, then jumping over Josh in the finals. But I thought that Mason had the best single dunk, dunking both the ball he carried and a second ball lobbed by Kyle in the same sequence ...

-- Cheers for Rivers, Marshall Plumlee and Quinn Cook ... I was a little disappointed that the fans didn't acknowledge Michael Gbinige ...

-- K was pretty happy after it was all over. His one disappointment was that NCAA rules prevented Seth from getting either an NCAA championship ring or watch. A redshirt or a practice player would have gotten one, but even though Seth practiced with the team all year and was thus a contributor to the title team's success, he wasn't allowed a ring (because he's a transfer).

Bluedog
10-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Austin Rivers didn't look into it at all, except for when the crazies were chanting "Austin Rivers"

Well, he seems pretty enthusiastic on his twitter:

Ctc was crazy! Even better than expected! Can't wait to get up there!!

Duke fans are the best!!!! No doubt

In class with @jhairston15 and @tythornton3

Chilling with @Qcook323 and @NdotSmitty! Cool people

http://twitter.com/austinrivers25

gep
10-16-2010, 12:49 AM
-- Seth had 9 points in 15 minutes. He took an elbow to the eye and missed a lot of time while he was getting 8 stitches.

I would imagine that this is not "serious"? But 8 stitches seems kinda big... to me, atleast. I'm not one to handle blood, stitches, etc very well. Hopefully, this doesn't affect him going forward...

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 12:52 AM
I would imagine that this is not "serious"? But 8 stitches seems kinda big... to me, atleast. I'm not one to handle blood, stitches, etc very well. Hopefully, this doesn't affect him going forward...

I got 9 stitches when I was 6 or 7...no biggie. Somehow managed to avoid major accidents since...surprising considering my complete lack of coordination and balance.

He came back later in the game so I would say he's fine...should be totally healed up in a couple weeks or so (I am not a doctor!) if not sooner. Did look like a pretty good sized gash though, I was initially worried that it might have actually been his eye.

DevilHorns
10-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Just some unrelated impressions:

-- Cheers for Rivers, Marshall Plumlee and Quinn Cook ... I was a little disappointed that the fans didn't acknowledge Michael Gibinje...

-

Excellent recap as always. Fed my imagination.

In regards to MG, maybe the crazies didn't know he was coming? To be honest, that kind of stinks for him. I'm guessing he was waiting for the recognition as other players were getting it. Irritates me some.

cbnaylor
10-16-2010, 01:00 AM
It was great walking on campus tonight while smelling college basketball in the air. Inside felt like the Devils Den. It had to be in the high 80's in the upper part of Cameron but it was worth it. As for what I got from the game here it goes.

1. Ryan Kelly looked like a completely different player. He was actually driving into the lane and using his body. His handles were so so but other than that, I was really impressed with him. I do however believe that we will get a lot of quality min. with him out on the floor.

2. Irving looked great tonight. The dude has handles and makes smart decisions. Some of the passes he made tonight were better than Drew Brees. He has great floor instincts and will make a impact right away.

3. Hairston went off tonight in the 2nd half. In the first half, he didn't look to promising. He couldn't hold on to the ball and made a lot of mental mistakes. As for the 2nd game, he looked like a totally different player. His jump shot looked like Brand but his inside presence looked like Roshown Mcleod.

4. Thornton looked like a young Sean Dockery. Great D and a decent jump shot.

AlaskanAssassin
10-16-2010, 01:00 AM
I was a little disappointed that the fans didn't acknowledge Michael Gbinige ...

Same here. I wonder how he felt afterward. smh.

JMarley50
10-16-2010, 01:03 AM
I watched CTC online, and have some mixed emotions from what I saw. Kyrie was pretty much as advertised. He distributed the ball very well, and scored when the opportunity presented itself. I knew he could distribute the ball, but I also expected him to take a lot of shots. He showed a lot of maturity in his willingness to pass up a good shot for a better shot. Josh really impressed me as well. I think some of it had to do with the fact that he had played with Kyrie before and knew when and where to expect the ball. Kyrie created most of the scoring opportunities for him but I give him credit for being in the right place at the right time and finishing. Tyler held his own, he knocked down some open shots, played good defense, and showed a lot of heart. He will be a big time player for us down the road.

As far as the returning players go, Kyle was just being Kyle. He looked great, and his legend continues to grow. I definitely foresee a jersey in the rafters for him. He is a special player. Nolan I felt was being a little "hollywood" for the event, and not really focused on the game as much as entertainment. But overall I'm not worried about him, he looked great physically and I know when it comes time to get down to business he'll step it up and dominate. Ryan really impressed me! So much so that I will reiterate my statement earlier in the off-season that we might see Miles and Ryan starting at some point. He played confident and the added muscle made a huge difference.

I was disappointed with a few things as well... Mason didn't do much to show me he has changed his mentality. I am almost so frustrated with him at the moment that I would compare him to Josh McRoberts. It seems like he is so caught up in his NBA stock and hype, that he is not paying attention to the little things that he needs to be doing to help THIS team. I know its early and there is still time for change, but I expect him to already realize and know that the team doesn't need another outside shooter, it needs inside scoring, defense and rebounding. Why is he throwing up 3's?? Our weakness is definitely going to be back to the basket scoring and rebounding. It has been said many times before on this board that the team will only go as far as the Plums take us. They need to step it up if they want another ring!

Once again I know this is just the beginning of this team's development. I hope and expect that things will improve as they become an actual TEAM. I am just making an assessment on where they are right now. They have a lot of room to grow and I am excited to watch the process. GO DUKE!

watzone
10-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Coach K talks CTC and BDN brings it all to you -http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/coach-k-talks-countdown-to-craziness/ Here is Coach K's post game comments.

watzone
10-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Same here. I wonder how he felt afterward. smh.
Some of the crazies near me were clueless. The chants were there for prospects but not up to Duke's lofty standards. It needs to get better. As for the worries many are stating, keep in mind that the team has practiced for like 5 total hours. It's a Blue-White game for gosh sakes and Duke in no way wants to peak yet.

BigZ
10-16-2010, 02:16 AM
I think this will be one of the highest scoring Duke team's in a long time. I think we can and will run teams off the court. UNC will be improved but won't be close to this Duke team.

Duke: A Dynasty
10-16-2010, 03:05 AM
For about the first few minutes of the first half i was a little worried with the chemistry and timing on court beetween everyone and Im preety sure I wasnt alone (I heard lots of murmuring when the alleyoops went awry and passes where nobody was at). But then I remembered that they have only had a few hours together and they got plenty of time coming up.

Anyway:

Kyrie- amazing handles which we knew and this game was him showing off his ability to create for others.

Nolan and Kyle- same old brilliance on court

Miles- Seems more aggresive and ready to take over but this game did not say much for him so im still not sure yet.

Mason- Frustrated easy and did not like being blocked by Miles he does not seem like he has figured it out yet.

Ryan- Deffinitely much improved from last year he could be a matchup problem for other bigs this year that dont like to move much cause he does a lot of it now.

Andre- Like everyone else said... Slow start finished well but he was guarded by Kyle.

Seth- Was doing well then got cut open preety good and did not come back till the second half were I thought he did preety average for what I have seen of him.

Tyler- Great on defense and hit a couple of open 3s but not to much more that sticks out to me.

Hairston- I know a lot of people loved what they saw from him but I was not entirely sure. Everytime he went inside he was blocked or made poor shot decisions because of how small he is compared to MP1 MP2 and Ryan. Now once he stepped outside the paint a bit he started hitting shots and looked a little better. I dont see him becoming a starter at PF or C unless he grows another 2 inches or more. He played a little more like an unpolished SF.

Anyway just as a side note this was my first time on campus and inside Cameron! I was so stoked by everything I saw and the crowd was great as well. After everything ended I stopped by TGI Fridays for a bite before the two hour drive home and walked right past Kyle Singler on my way out. Wish I could have talked to him a bit but I thought it would be rude to interupt his meal with whoever he was with.

striker219
10-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Just back to Wilmington from CTC, amazing! Couple of quick thoughts while they're on my mind...

I know that it was just a scrimmage, and I know he was being fed by Kyrie, but Hairston looked really good in the second half, I think maybe more polished than I expected from him. He seemed to position himself well, was aggressive and effective. But speaking of Kyrie...

Wow. I thought I was excited before tonight, and again, I know it was just a team scrimmage, but wow. I don't know exactly where to start. The way he moves with the ball is so fluid it's almost unnatural. His ability to change speeds in an instant has to be seen in person to believe. I know we've all seen his highlight videos but they don't compare to being there and seeing him play. He'll bring the ball right up to his defender and then stop cold, almost seeming to float in place, and when his defender blinks he's already a half step past him and on his way to the basket. Watching a defender try to stay on him was like watching someone try to catch smoke; the harder you try, the faster it moves away, and the more foolish you look.

Just about every time he drove to the basket tonight he had a second defender collapse on him, and he was still able to either finish (in very acrobatic fashion) or find the open man for a high percentage shot. I found myself not wanting to blink when he had the ball in his hands because you didn't know when he was going to do something that a freshman shouldn't be able to do. It was mind bottling, you know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle

And this is without any real practice time with this team. He threw a few passes off peoples hands and at awkward times, but they didn't really seem like bad passes, just passes that weren't expected because of a lack of familiarity. When these guys come together they're going to be scary good.

Random thoughts in no particular order...
-didn't really get a chance to see Dre try to create on his own, but when he has a second to get his feet set his shot is a thing of beauty
-hated that Seth got hurt, would have loved to have seen more of him tonight, what we did get to see was exciting
-if Tyler Thornton is able to perform consistently like he did at times tonight, he may well be the best fifth option guard in the country
-our backcourt is ridiculous
-if you split our backcourt up evenly, we would probably have the two best backcourts in the conference
-pdf of the scrimmage box score is here (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/717057.pdf?ATCLID=205013041&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200)
-game highlights are here (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=728435&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

striker219
10-16-2010, 04:39 AM
During a break in the action tonight I had a conversation with my dad about the various names that different schools give their Midnight Madness.

Of course 'Countdown to Craziness'
Kansas has 'Late Night in the Phog'
'Maryland Madness'
Kentucky's 'Big Blue Madness'
UConn's 'Free on Parole' or 'First Night' or whatever they call it
Gonzaga, 'Kraziness in the Kennel'
Kansas State, 'Madness in Manhattan'
'Memphis Madness'

And of course as another poster here pointed out, 'Late Night with Roy' for the boys in baby blue. Way to keep things Roy-centered there Roy, you're doing a Roy of a Roy.

Anyway, we decided that 'Late Night with Roy' sounds more like an after midnight local access cable show than a basketball celebration, and now I'm stuck with this image in my head of how I think 'Late Night with Roy' probably went down. Close your eyes and picture the scene. OK, well open your eyes and picture it.

There you are, along with literally hundreds if not tens of hundreds of hungry Carolina fans packed into the lower level of the Dean Dome, eager to start the new season and put last year behind them. You can feel the excitement building, and not just because Celia and Edna, the sweet grandmotherly season ticket holders that reside to your left, managed to sneak in a bottle of that Cupcake Chardonnay that you've been seeing on the TV commercials. No, this is something bigger. They brought some nice provolone and those vegetable crackers that you like too, but this is even bigger than that. This is Late Night with Roy.

The house lights are brought down low and a hush falls over the crowd, although no one really notices. After a moment a veil is lifted and by the soft twinkling light of the artificial fireplace by his side, he is revealed. Roy. Roy is sitting in an elegant high backed Queen Anne leather armchair, stylishly sporting a white turtleneck under a baby blue velour smoking jacket, pipe in hand and with a can of Coke close by on a small round table sitting by the chair. Roy pulls his feet from his soft suede slippers and curls his toes into the thick carpet that has been laid out in the center circle; this relaxes Roy. He stalls for just a moment longer, reveling in the moment and soaking in the love and admiration that is flowing to him from the stands.

Finally, at just the right moment, he asks them, “Carolina fans, are you ready?” You hear a gasp of excitement from your left; Celia has spilled her Chardonnay. You help her clean up the wine as Roy continues.

“Carolina fans, Roy has a message for you. I know we saw some rough times in the past, but this is a message of hope for the future. Have I ever told you about my first love? She was the best friend ever I ever had, a yellow lab named Biscuit.”

And for the next 90 minutes Roy regales the audience with tales of the adventures of a little boy and his yellow lab, Biscuit. It is a tale of growth, a tale of joy and sorrow, of love and loss. A few in the crowd recognize the story as the plot from “Old Yeller” but most of the audience is too shocked to know how to react. As Roy draws his saga to a close, the audience awakes as if from a deep sleep and begins to slowly drift towards the exit, trying to process what they just experienced. Had Roy really just spent the entire evening inserting himself into one of the most beloved and heartbreaking children’s novels of the twentieth century? One by one they all come to the realization that yes, yes this really did happen. And slowly, slowly, a wave of emotion and then understanding washes over the crowd as they amble towards the parking lot.

This is going to be the best year of Carolina basketball ever.

uh_no
10-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Some of the crazies near me were clueless. The chants were there for prospects but not up to Duke's lofty standards. It needs to get better. As for the worries many are stating, keep in mind that the team has practiced for like 5 total hours. It's a Blue-White game for gosh sakes and Duke in no way wants to peak yet.

Just like the team hasn't practiced yet, the crazies have yet to practice too. Its like this at the beginning of every year with the incoming freshman needing to get a grasp of the ropes

roywhite
10-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks to all those who attended and shared their observations. Good stuff.

I followed the coverage on ESPNU (while occasionally checking on quite a comeback by the Yankees) which had some good features but was divided up several different ways with different schools. Good interview by Jason Williams with Coach K.

Interesting comments from some posters about Michael Gbinije not getting much recognition. I really like this kid, and like his game---gotta a feeling that he'll be a "quiet assasin" who lets his game do his talking.

We've made it through another off-season. Let the fun continue.:)

DevilWearsPrada
10-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Cameron was full for CTC. I havent seen this size crowd for the Blue/White in years. I heard people were walking around Cameron at 7am, yesterday. Many many visitors....which is great. Great to see UG Students filled the bleachers, as did the Grad Students. The crowd/fans outside reminded me of a Duke/Davidson game (Steph Curry) or a Duke/Georgetown game or Duke/Maryland....... lots of hype and buzz on the outside of Cameron and around campus.

Just to see the fans, that this was their first visit to Cameron, and taking pictures everywhere. Love the new reenergized feeling Dukies have this season.

Impressed with all the Freshman and RedShirt Soph Seth. I have seen Seth practice on several opportunities.

All of the pre game festivities were great. On the 1st possession, Kyrie, stole the ball, and went driving to the hoop. I haven't seen a point guard move that fast, since Jason Williams. Not used to following the ball that fast. Because its been a while. But Great to see some Speed on the floor. Kyrie was like a Speedy Gonzalez. Impressed with Josh and Tyler.

Much improved Ryan, and more buff. Miles abused Mason the entire time. Perhaps, it will toughen Mason up. Dre off slow, but warmed up and did his thing. And of course Kyle and Nolan are Kyle and Nolan.

During the Dunking contest, I think the child with the blue hair, that Dre dunked over, was his brother. He has 2 half brothers, and half sister, from his Father's current marriage. All 3 siblings, are under the age of 10. (Last year, I sat behind them at CTC). Andre won the Dunking Contest.

BLING BLING CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS!!!!!!!!!!! Duke bought the players rings, and NCAA gives Championship watches. I actually got to see the Rings..... bling bling.

ZOUBS is recouping, and hoping not to get cut. Talked to Mr/Mrs Z........ because I so admired them and Brian for 4 years. His back is on the mend, but Brian has had to fight through injuries during his entrie Duke career. But he all know, He is a winner, and finds a way to push through the pain, and become a leader......and for Duke...The Beast of a Rebounder. GOSH....... I miss Zoubs.

There is alot of coverage online. I know it will online. Much TV coverage, on NEWS 14 CAROLINA........ and WTVD Durham/Raleigh abc11. WTVD showed great coverage last night on 11pm news. So link over to those networks.

On News 14, ..... the reporter called the UNC, Late Night with Roy, an "ENTERTAINMENT SPECTACLE"........ Looked like a comic show.

Unveiling of the 2010 banner....... which to most, was the first time to see. I was at the Final 4......so I was there. At the Basketball banquet, the Banner was unveiled. Great to see 4 National Champs Banners in the rafters. And time for another..

BACK 2 BACK YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

GODUKEGO
10-16-2010, 08:59 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/10/16/742948/the-madness-begins.html?tab=gallery&gallery=/2010/10/15/743058/first-look-dukes-countdown-to.html&gid_index=4

moonpie23
10-16-2010, 09:09 AM

i kind of disagree with that.....i watched him a lot. Gotta remember, this guy is used to having all eyes on him. I thought he seemed to be having a good time...he was definitely the coolest dressed kid in the gym....

when he got up to (hit the restroom i guess) he exited through the crowd very politely. People were acknowledging him of course, and he back, with a smile. I didn't think he looked like a typical super-star with his "posse" having to go everywhere.....

one thing caught my attention tho......every time that coach K was talking to players or others while sitting on the bench, rivers was leaning over, glued to everything K was saying......K noticed that austin was trying to pick up on it and was soon leaning backwards to make sure austin could hear him.....

COYS
10-16-2010, 09:12 AM
one thing caught my attention tho......every time that coach K was talking to players or others while sitting on the bench, rivers was leaning over, glued to everything K was saying......K noticed that austin was trying to pick up on it and was soon leaning backwards to make sure austin could hear him.....

Great observation, Moonpie. From someone who has seen nothing of CTC, i can't imagine a way that Austin could be "into it" more than wanting to soak up everything K had to say on the sidelines.

GODUKEGO
10-16-2010, 09:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZ65ZUGoZg

Banner presentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_1ubTz-qb0

this one speaks for itself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM1eFQc-_nc

weezie
10-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Just like the team hasn't practiced yet, the crazies have yet to practice too. Its like this at the beginning of every year with the incoming freshman needing to get a grasp of the ropes

Absolutely correct. Even the band was a touch disjointed. Can I also get a witness as to how blasted hot it was in there?! As in, who forgot to turn on the ac?

I think what K has this year is an embarrassment of riches. Dealing with player time is going to be a challenge, even for his genius. Kyrie, aka, "Tasty" and Nolan got just the faintest bit attitudinal on each other with their back-to-back length of the court driving slashes eliciting a nice "Oooooooo" from the packed house. Seconds later, the M&Ms crashing into each other under the basket after Mason's dunk?! Their parents must have nerves of steel!
Kyle seemed a tad bothered by the full length compression stocking but did his usual Kylester stuff. Saw him outside Cameron before the scrimmage and he was delightful and patient with hordes of kids. Same with Mason.
Last night was funsies. When the Blue Devil Defense (TM) kicks in, watch out!

ACCBBallFan
10-16-2010, 10:04 AM
https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/717057.pdf?ATCLID=205013041&SPSID=22726&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Irving and Mason 2-0, which makes Dre and Ryan 0-2 and all others 1-1.

Good news bad news on lots of fouls. Team can draw them is good news.
Not hitting FTs is bad but we know Nolan will not go 4-8 very often.

Tyler had 5 PFs, but have to remember he was guarding Kyle in second half after Seth returned, and Kyrie in first. Nolan, Mason and Kyle all had 4 PF's.

Miles 9 boards and only 3 fouls and Ryan 7 rebounds and 2 fouls was encouraging until you see that Josh scored at will in second half thanks to Kyrie.

Good and bad news on Assist to TO also, Kyrie 10 and 1 and Tyler 6 and 1 is great but since overall 29-24 rest of team 13 assists and 22 turnovers as might be expected in first scrimmage.

Josh very nervious in first half and very relaxed with Kyrie and Tyler giving him dimes galore in second half.

Josh 20; Nolan 14 but 4 fouls; Kyle 13 but 4 fouls; Ryan 11; Kyrie 11 plus 10 assists and 1 TO; Tyler flled up every stat line 10 points; 5 fouls; 6 assists and only 1 TO; Seth 9 points plus 8 stitches casued him to play 9 less minutes than everybody else, Miles 8; Dre 8 and as expected nothing in first half versus Kyle who is so much bigger than any ACC SF; Mason 6 and 4 fouls; Casey 1 point in 9 minutes; Todd DNP.

Starters had balanced scoring 6-6-6-4-4 in first half with Ryan 9 and Seth 7 doing it all for subs.

In second half, the trio had 31 of the 36 points and teamed great, though perhaps helped by Kyle and Nolan picking their spots to help them shine.

Kelly may have to get into better shape, Led all scorers in first half with 9 points but then he and Miles got destroyed on deefense in seocnd hald when Josh scored 18.

White team scoring fairly balanced in second half too Nolan 8 - Dre 8 - and Kyle 7 but not much from Miles 4 or Ryan 2.

Miles had a crushing block attempt on a Mason dunk, Mason calmly sank both FTs.

Irving and Mason 2-0, which makes Dre and Ryan 0-2 and all others 1-1.

Good news bad news on lots of fouls. Team can draw them is good news.
Not hitting FTs is bad but we know Nolan will not go 4-8 very often.

Tyler had 5 PFs, but have to remember he was guarding Kyle in second half after Seth returned, and Kyrie in first. Nolan, Mason and Kyle all had 4 PF's.

Miles 9 boards and only 3 fouls and Ryan 7 rebounds and 2 fouls was encouraging until you see that Josh scored at will in second half thanks to Kyrie.

Good and bad news on Assist to TO also, Kyrie 10 and 1 and Tyler 6 and 1 is great but since overall 29-24 rest of team 13 assists and 22 turnovers as might be expected in first scrimmage.

Josh very nervious in first half and very relaxed with Kyrie and Tyler giving him dimes galore in second half.

Josh 20; Nolan 14 but 4 fouls; Kyle 13 but 4 fouls; Ryan 11; Kyrie 11 plus 10 assists and 1 TO; Tyler flled up every stat line 10 points; 5 fouls; 6 assists and only 1 TO; Seth 9 points plus 8 stitches casued him to play 9 less minutes than everybody else, Miles 8; Dre 8 and as expected nothing in first half versus Kyle who is so much bigger than any ACC SF; Mason 6 and 4 fouls; Casey 1 point in 9 minutes; Todd DNP.

Starters had balanced scoring 6-6-6-4-4 in first half with Ryan 9 and Seth 7 doing it all for subs.

In second half, the trio had 31 of the 36 points and teamed great, though perhaps helped by Kyle and Nolan picking their spots to help them shine.

Kelly may have to get into better shape, Led all scorers in first half with 9 points but then he and Miles got destroyed on deefense in seocnd hald when Josh scored 18.

White team scoring fairly balanced in second half too Nolan 8 - Dre 8 - and Kyle 7 but not much from Miles 4 or Ryan 2.

Miles had a crushing block attempt on a Mason dunk, Mason calmly sank both FTs.

moonpie23
10-16-2010, 10:06 AM
re: the M&M's......big brother was NOT going to have little brother make that slam....i loved that they both embraced offense AND defense ........

maybe a little built up sibling rivalry there, but remember, next time they'll be on the same team...

same for kyrie and nolan....

ACCBBallFan
10-16-2010, 10:07 AM
During a break in the action tonight I had a conversation with my dad about the various names that different schools give their Midnight Madness.

'Maryland Madness'
'Memphis Madness'

And of course as another poster here pointed out, 'Late Night with Roy' for the boys in baby blue. Way to keep things Roy-centered there Roy, you're doing a Roy of a Roy.

Anyway, we decided that 'Late Night with Roy' sounds more like an after midnight local access cable show than a basketball celebration,

FSU is something like Jam with Ham. Sounds like an awful sandwich but like UNC named for its coach Leonard Hamilton.

watzone
10-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Here is a post game interview with Josh Hairston and Tyker Thornton - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/bdn-chats-up-josh-hairston-and-tyler-thornton-after-countdown-to-craziness/

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 10:44 AM
re: the M&M's......big brother was NOT going to have little brother make that slam....i loved that they both embraced offense AND defense ........

maybe a little built up sibling rivalry there, but remember, next time they'll be on the same team...

same for kyrie and nolan....

I said the same thing...no way any self respecting older brother lets his kid brother throw down a dunk like that. I was definitely nervous though.

SuperTurkey
10-16-2010, 11:08 AM
{Awesome stuff redacted for brevity.}

Well done! :D

sivartrenrag
10-16-2010, 12:01 PM
From twitter:

In the locker room after CTC one recruit came up to me and said "the fans missed a few chants tonite." Uh oh Cameron Crazies you're slackin!

Guessing it was Mike? That's too bad. But like someone else said - the Crazies need time for practice, too. He'll get his cheers when they see what he can do on the court, I'm sure.

flyingdutchdevil
10-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Was just looking at the Duke competition pictures and it looks like Mason is wearing #55. Is that right? Did he take Zoubs' number? Can you change numbers in college?

flyingdutchdevil
10-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Was just looking at the Duke competition pictures and it looks like Mason is wearing #55. Is that right? Did he take Zoubs' number? Can you change numbers in college?

Forget about it - it was a tribute to Zoubs

Gthoma2a
10-16-2010, 01:10 PM
As for the turnovers, I am pretty sure that will disappear pretty quickly (first time playing together, and first time for a lot of the guys with the Crazies). That isn't a big deal to me.

I am happy that there were fouls, though. I think that the fouls show the way the team practiced last year. Toughness is usually already in you, but through going through hell and physicality in practice, it can be cultivated. I think that is one of the things that last year's team did so well. The season started with Mason being violently contested on a dunk in practice and breaking his arm on the fall. The injury was not good, but the tone was set that the team was not going to let up. The team practiced the entire time with a chip on their shoulder that nobody was going to break them and in practice, they forged themselves into the group that cut down the nets. The thing that stood out to me as one of the first times that I thought we could really win the championship was when I heard in the ACC and then NCAA practice sessions that the team was miles above the rest in the intensity of their play. That physicality and durability was what made that team special. With heart, an edge, and a tolerance for punishment, that team was great, and if this talented a group has that in them come tournament time, we will have another banner to raise.

Duke: A Dynasty
10-16-2010, 01:48 PM

I thought they did just fine on D. Only reason Josh was scoring was because KI was drawing a double everytime he drove in which left Josh alone

Tappan Zee Devil
10-16-2010, 01:54 PM
I thought they did just fine on D. Only reason Josh was scoring was because KI was drawing a double everytime he drove in which left Josh alone

Well, do you think there is a chance something similar might happen in an actual game? This is one of the things a PG like Kyrie can create :D

wtm001
10-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Well, he seems pretty enthusiastic on his twitter:

http://twitter.com/austinrivers25

Not disagreeing with Austin's word, but every time I looked at him he looked bored. :p

DukieBoy
10-16-2010, 02:15 PM
'Maryland Madness'
'Memphis Madness'

IU's is called Hoosier Hysteria, which I like.

Eager for the season. Didn't get to watch Duke's as I was at IU's. Going to be a fun year

Kedsy
10-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Tyler had 5 PFs, but have to remember he was guarding Kyle in second half after Seth returned, and Kyrie in first.

Tyler was guarding Kyle? Really? Giving up 7 inches and 45 pounds? And his team won? That's amazing.

juise
10-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Not disagreeing with Austin's word, but every time I looked at him he looked bored. :p

Perhaps he was imagining CTC 2011, not particularly excited about the idea of waiting a year.

wtm001
10-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Perhaps he was imagining CTC 2011, not particularly excited about the idea of waiting a year.

Maybe, it was just strange. From what he twitter said he seemed really excited about it, but didn't show it while he was there.

chadlee989
10-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Mason to me was really disappointing. As has been talked about all throughout this thread Josh got easy baskets from KI getting in the lane and drawing an extra defender leaving josh open for easy looks. While this is going on Mason is just hanging out at the 3 point line. I would have loved to seen him slip inside and catch a few of those passes and finish them. He has to get that in his head he has got to get inside and rebound and finish for us to be good. If not my prediction is you will someone else in the game that can.

Miles on the other hand has shown that he has trouble when a guard passes it to him under the basket. Not just mistakes from last night i am talking about last year as well. We need these two brothers to take some pointers from what josh did friday night.

Overall i think we are gonna be just fine though.

GLTBD
10-16-2010, 05:20 PM
I was unsure where to ask this question. To the Iron Duke members who have season MBB tickets, did you receive your seasons tickets yet? I didn't realize there is an exhibition game next Saturday, and I have yet to receive season tickets. I am planning on calling the Iron Dukes Monday, but thought I would ask the board.

devil84
10-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Have not received our tickets yet, either.

GLTBD
10-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Have not received our tickets yet, either.

Thanks, that is good to know.

weezie
10-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks, that is good to know.

No worries, ID office said season tix will be mailed out October 18.

weezie
10-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Mason to me was really disappointing....
Miles on the other hand has shown that he has trouble when a guard passes it to him under the basket....
Overall i think we are gonna be just fine though.

Man, take it easy! It was the first time the team played in front of a rabid crowd of overweight oldsters and crazie wannabes. A little perspective is in order!

Seriously!

phaedrus
10-16-2010, 06:27 PM

nah. 70 stitches (http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/04/blocking_shot_with_his_face_ia.html) to the face is serious. 7 stitches is a subtle battle mark.

juise
10-16-2010, 07:59 PM
A couple videos from DukeBluePlanet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM1eFQc-_nc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw21qV2tDRs

I love hearing the crowd cheer for every meaningful countdown number.

ACCBBallFan
10-16-2010, 09:24 PM
with so much flexibility virtually anything would work.

Coach K in his press conferences this week had a couple of telling statements.

Seth Curry is a 6th starter and Andre Dawkins was really only a HS Senior last year, albeit a very valuable one.

Though both technically sophs, Seth is in reality a junior and Dre would have been part of the Kyrie- Tyler- Josh class had he not made the sacrifice last year to save Duke’s bacon.

CTC showed that neither Plumlee is yet an away from the basket PF, Like Henson but not as frail, they both play best within a couple feet of the rim, and usually when above it with a dunk or a block.

So pairing them together gets them in each others way rather than spreading the floor.

Further, Ryan Kelly led all scorers in first half as a PF and Josh Hairston led all scorers in second half as a PF. It did not appear that Miles excelled defending Kelly nor Ryan defending Josh for that matter.

Mason was much better defender on both Josh in first half and Miles in second half. Mason did not excel on his help for Miles on Ryan nor Miles helping Ryan on Josh either. So still some improvements needed by all the bigs as expected.

Other than Kyle, Duke really does not have another bona fide SF on both ends of the floor, without Carrick Felix, maybe even with him who knows.

Dre can shoot but is small and does not move without the ball. Josh can defend but his Offensive game is mostly as a mid range PF, not a longer range SF. Josh would be okay without Singler in game if paired with Ryan at PF.

Given all that it seems Duke should obviously start Kyle, Nolan and Kyrie plus one and preferably IMO only one Plumlee (does not matter which one and may vary) and most likely Ryan, though Seth in 3 small or Josh or Dre are other possibilities depending on the opponent.

Though Ryan would often start, his PT could vary more than the others depending on the opponent.

The first subs would be the other Plumlee switching spots with his sibling every four minutes and Seth Curry.

For reasons below, Seth could either sub in for Kyrie as combo guard with Nolan or sub in for Ryan to play 3 guard set.

The three amigos Dre, Tyler and Josh were dominant in AAU for DC Assault and would represent Duke well when games are well in hand. Josh and Tyler played particularly well with Kyrie in second half of CTC.

So after Seth subs in for Kyrie, Duke can get a couple minutes rest for Nolan and Kyle out of this lineup:

Tyler - Kyrie - Dre - Josh and a Plumlee or Ryan if he is rested like one of the Plumlees would be in this rotation pattern.

Nolan and Kyle would almost always both be in the game except when in foul trouble or when the blue team is on the floor,

Kyrie and Seth would both play starter minutes and each Plumlee would get 20 MPG.

At all times game is in doubt, Kyle, Nolan and One Plumlee, plus two of these 3 [Kyrie, Seth and Ryan, maybe Dre or Josh or a second Plumlee at times but usually two of the three named first]

Dre would get more PT than Tyler and Josh, maybe not as much as Ryan by also being the emergency SF when Kyle is in foul trouble.

Seems to be as good a way as any of getting Tyler and Josh some well deserved PT, having 4 offensive threats on floor when game outcome is in doubt, almost always both Nolan and Kyle plus 2 others, while having each Plumlee play 20 MPG as long as their foul situation permits.

aro24
10-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Had a great time at CTC with my 5 yr old little boy! He was sleepy, but loved it.
My thanks to the other 2 fans we found while hunting for our car....we got directed to a different lot than I have ever parked in and it took us almost an hour to find it....but all in all had a great time.

I got some great photos and videos. The photos are large in size (>5mb each) so I have them posted on my facebook page (adam royals). Still trying to get the videos uploaded. Feel free to check out the photos.

Looking forward to a great season for the boys!

Go Duke !

ARo24

Gthoma2a
10-16-2010, 10:13 PM
with so much flexibility virtually anything would work.

Coach K in his press conferences this week had a couple of telling statements.

Seth Curry is a 6th starter and Andre Dawkins was really only a HS Senior last year, albeit a very valuable one.

Though both technically sophs, Seth is in reality a junior and Dre would have been part of the Kyrie- Tyler- Josh class had he not made the sacrifice last year to save Duke’s bacon.

CTC showed that neither Plumlee is yet an away from the basket PF, Like Henson but not as frail, they both play best within a couple feet of the rim, and usually when above it with a dunk or a block.

So pairing them together gets them in each others way rather than spreading the floor.

Further, Ryan Kelly led all scorers in first half as a PF and Josh Hairston led all scorers in second half as a PF. It did not appear that Miles excelled defending Kelly nor Ryan defending Josh for that matter.

Mason was much better defender on both Josh in first half and Miles in second half. Mason did not excel on his help for Miles on Ryan nor Miles helping Ryan on Josh either. So still some improvements needed by all the bigs as expected.

Other than Kyle, Duke really does not have another bona fide SF on both ends of the floor, without Carrick Felix, maybe even with him who knows.

Dre can shoot but is small and does not move without the ball. Josh can defend but his Offensive game is mostly as a mid range PF, not a longer range SF. Josh would be okay without Singler in game if paired with Ryan at PF.

Given all that it seems Duke should obviously start Kyle, Nolan and Kyrie plus one and preferably IMO only one Plumlee (does not matter which one and may vary) and most likely Ryan, though Seth in 3 small or Josh or Dre are other possibilities depending on the opponent.

Though Ryan would often start, his PT could vary more than the others depending on the opponent.

The first subs would be the other Plumlee switching spots with his sibling every four minutes and Seth Curry.

For reasons below, Seth could either sub in for Kyrie as combo guard with Nolan or sub in for Ryan to play 3 guard set.

The three amigos Dre, Tyler and Josh were dominant in AAU for DC Assault and would represent Duke well when games are well in hand. Josh and Tyler played particularly well with Kyrie in second half of CTC.

So after Seth subs in for Kyrie, Duke can get a couple minutes rest for Nolan and Kyle out of this lineup:

Tyler - Kyrie - Dre - Josh and a Plumlee or Ryan if he is rested like one of the Plumlees would be in this rotation pattern.

Nolan and Kyle would almost always both be in the game except when in foul trouble or when the blue team is on the floor,

Kyrie and Seth would both play starter minutes and each Plumlee would get 20 MPG.

At all times game is in doubt, Kyle, Nolan and One Plumlee, plus two of these 3 [Kyrie, Seth and Ryan, maybe Dre or Josh or a second Plumlee at times but usually two of the three named first]

Dre would get more PT than Tyler and Josh, maybe not as much as Ryan by also being the emergency SF when Kyle is in foul trouble.

Seems to be as good a way as any of getting Tyler and Josh some well deserved PT, having 4 offensive threats on floor when game outcome is in doubt, almost always both Nolan and Kyle plus 2 others, while having each Plumlee play 20 MPG as long as their foul situation permits.

I think there will be regular changes in the lineup you mentioned. I don't think the Plumlees would both go in that often and I don't see Josh Hairston getting that little playing time. He did very well once he calmed down last night, so I think that he could get some time. Tyler has great d, so late in games when it is close and we are going situational matchups (offense to defense) we could very well put him in. He is good at distribution, so I don't see it as a huge risk if we can't get Kyrie back in for a possession. I agree that Nolan and Kyle will see tons of time, but they will get breaks. I think Hairston would likely be Kyle's sub, and Seth would likely be Nolan's. Dre will see time when we are having problems getting shots to fall or Coach feels the need to speak with a guard. He has a pure shot, so it could be beneficial to put him in (not to mention his attitude is always uplifting for the team). Ryan and Josh will likely switch back and forth at the 4 IMO. They are both very good offensive players who can help to spread the floor against larger defenders and bully when a smaller player is trying to guard them on the outside. Hairston looks for his shot well, so I could see him starting by the end of the season. The Plumlees need to learn to do the small things a little more at times and not just look for the big dunk so much. Overall we are going to be great.

COYS
10-16-2010, 10:18 PM

I agree that neither Mason nor Miles is completely locked into a starting job. After all, they were the two projected starters last season and ended up coming off the bench by the end. However, I think floor spacing will be less of an issue once the team has a chance to practice. For one, if Miles can consistently hit that 12-15 footer that he's been working on, he can draw his defender out of the post.

Secondly, coach K suggested in early pressers for last season that the offense would run through Mason from the high post at times. I think that is still a viable option even though it didn't work out for last year. This will obviously not be the primary option as Kyrie, Smith, and Singler will dominate the ball. However, Mason's mobility and ballhandling skills are useful when he's attacking or passing from the high post rather than the three point line. Those drives that end in awkward jumpers from just inside the FT line will be layups, dunks, and dishes if he learns to start closer to the basket.

On the defensive end, it seems that both brothers play with their motor running at 100% all the time, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. However, we've seen how similar players have matured over the years, the most recent example being Lance Thomas. Last season, Miles was playing really well, even if he was in a slight funk after his breakout performance against Wake. He was an elite rebounder and a solid post defender who just happened to play on the same team as a senior who was THE elite rebounder (along with DeMarcus Cousins) in the country and was finally enjoying an injury free season. Mason was a frosh who missed a chunk of the early season with an injury and struggled to adjust. Given that Kelly has still shown less on the defensive end than either Mason or Miles, I think that a combination of natural development, good coaching, and a growing familiarity with each other and Duke's defensive system should combine to improve their defense on the court together.

roywhite
10-16-2010, 10:53 PM
I agree that neither Mason nor Miles is completely locked into a starting job. After all, they were the two projected starters last season and ended up coming off the bench by the end. However, I think floor spacing will be less of an issue once the team has a chance to practice. For one, if Miles can consistently hit that 12-15 footer that he's been working on, he can draw his defender out of the post.

Secondly, coach K suggested in early pressers for last season that the offense would run through Mason from the high post at times. I think that is still a viable option even though it didn't work out for last year. This will obviously not be the primary option as Kyrie, Smith, and Singler will dominate the ball. However, Mason's mobility and ballhandling skills are useful when he's attacking or passing from the high post rather than the three point line. Those drives that end in awkward jumpers from just inside the FT line will be layups, dunks, and dishes if he learns to start closer to the basket.

On the defensive end, it seems that both brothers play with their motor running at 100% all the time, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. However, we've seen how similar players have matured over the years, the most recent example being Lance Thomas. Last season, Miles was playing really well, even if he was in a slight funk after his breakout performance against Wake. He was an elite rebounder and a solid post defender who just happened to play on the same team as a senior who was THE elite rebounder (along with DeMarcus Cousins) in the country and was finally enjoying an injury free season. Mason was a frosh who missed a chunk of the early season with an injury and struggled to adjust. Given that Kelly has still shown less on the defensive end than either Mason or Miles, I think that a combination of natural development, good coaching, and a growing familiarity with each other and Duke's defensive system should combine to improve their defense on the court together.

Good overall comments, but Ryan Kelly also has some very useful skills from the high post area. He showed an excellent knack for entry passes last year, and he has good shooting range. Mason and Ryan are versatile players and could be on the court together for stretches, but I think they'll compete for the same role and compete for playing time.

Newton_14
10-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Good overall comments, but Ryan Kelly also has some very useful skills from the high post area. He showed an excellent knack for entry passes last year, and he has good shooting range. Mason and Ryan are versatile players and could be on the court together for stretches, but I think they'll compete for the same role and compete for playing time.

Agree on Ryan. Great post-entry passer. I still think people misunderstand Mason's game. I thought Mason played well last night. He is much more a playmaker/distributor than a scorer. He can score and I think he will, but he is not a back to the basket center. Mason made several good plays last night with good reads and passes. When he is at the 4 spot you are going to see him floating outside spacing the floor as well as inside.

And I will say this about Mason being outside, I have seen practically every game in the K era, and he decides how things work. If you see Mason out on the perimeter you can rest assured that is where K told him to be. That is K designing the offense and directing the players to conform to his wishes. When a player does not follow K's direction, you will find said player sitting on the bench watching the game with K much more often than out on the floor.

Last night was just a simple scrimmage and not a game to dissect players progress. The chemistry was off as I expected. Playing against each other is just not something to learn a great deal from. Let them get 4 or 5 games behind them and then we will start seeing how both individual players and the team are shaking out. K will mold them into a team, of that we can be assured.

My simple assessment from last night was this team has creator's, finisher's, and shooter's on offense. On defense there is a lot of ability to put high pressure on the ball, defend the wings, and block shots in the paint. The defense and the offense approach will be far different than last year, and I am excited to watch it all come together in time.

Go Duke!

uh_no
10-16-2010, 11:44 PM
I think there will be regular changes in the lineup you mentioned. I don't think the Plumlees would both go in that often

K's teams at blue and white are generally indicative of the starting lineup....which would put both plumlees as starters

Kedsy
10-16-2010, 11:53 PM
K's teams at blue and white are generally indicative of the starting lineup....which would put both plumlees as starters

At least at the beginning of the season...

uh_no
10-17-2010, 08:24 AM
At least at the beginning of the season...

right.....and we all know how that goes :)

GODUKEGO
10-17-2010, 08:57 AM
As the film producer states "From the best seat in the house". Got tickets to the first game and can not believe it is just four weeks from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty9KibX1BeQ

The clips that I have seen of Kyrie, it has been a long time since we have had someone that quick and can make those passes. I had tagged Nolan as the penetrator last year on the forum but Kyrie takes it to a whole new level. I am imaging the assists he will have and the slams from the others. What Miles and Mason lack offensively, they will be able to make up by running the court and receiving the dishes from Kyrie. It will be a fast breaking and three point shooting team. I do not see us posting up in the paint alot this year.

moonpie23
10-17-2010, 09:31 AM
one more thing i noticed.....when KI had the ball and nolan was guarding, it seemed that nolan was realllly wanting to show his defensive skills.....more than a few times, he forced KI into moves which took him out of the play...KI moved by others pretty easily, but not nolan...

nolan was extremely focused on defense...

i think that can only bode well for these guys...going against each other on the level that they are can only make them both better....

DevilHorns
10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
one more thing i noticed.....when KI had the ball and nolan was guarding, it seemed that nolan was realllly wanting to show his defensive skills.....more than a few times, he forced KI into moves which took him out of the play...KI moved by others pretty easily, but not nolan...

nolan was extremely focused on defense...

i think that can only bode well for these guys...going against each other on the level that they are can only make them both better....

From what I've read in others' comments was that Nolan was actually having a pretty hard time controlling Kyrie, and at times, Kyrie seems to have the potential to be the best player / difference-maker on the floor. If Nolan was having a hard time on Kyrie, Kyrie's going to absolutely shred many of the man-to-man defenses we face. After watching some of the highlights and reading some of the posts on Kyrie's game, I have to say it's exciting to see that he's good or even better than advertised.

COYS
10-17-2010, 09:47 AM

I agree with you, RW, about Kelly being an excellent passer and another great option in the high post. However, I am hopeful that Mason will develop into enough of a defender at the 5 that we can play Ryan and Mason at the same time. Otherwise, it seems like we would need to play our small lineup with Kyle at the 4 every time Miles is out of the game. I think that small lineup will be really good and, who knows, may prove to be our best. However, I'd at least like to have Kelly and Mason playing at a high enough level that having them on the court at the same time is a strong option.

Faison1
10-17-2010, 11:00 AM
As the film producer states "From the best seat in the house". Got tickets to the first game and can not believe it is just four weeks from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty9KibX1BeQ

The clips that I have seen of Kyrie, it has been a long time since we have had someone that quick and can make those passes. I had tagged Nolan as the penetrator last year on the forum but Kyrie takes it to a whole new level. I am imaging the assists he will have and the slams from the others. What Miles and Mason lack offensively, they will be able to make up by running the court and receiving the dishes from Kyrie. It will be a fast breaking and three point shooting team. I do not see us posting up in the paint alot this year.

Obviously, one can't tell much from the Blue/White game, but it definitely seems we will be scoring a lot more points this year.

The main thing that jumps out to me about the clip is no one can keep KI in front of them.....which then begs the question, will we need to set the high pick/screens for him this year? That guy can get around anyone with no help. So, does that mean K needs to re-program how the Plumlees play? I wonder how they will adapt?

Ultrarunner
10-17-2010, 12:09 PM
I agree with you, RW, about Kelly being an excellent passer and another great option in the high post. However, I am hopeful that Mason will develop into enough of a defender at the 5 that we can play Ryan and Mason at the same time. Otherwise, it seems like we would need to play our small lineup with Kyle at the 4 every time Miles is out of the game. I think that small lineup will be really good and, who knows, may prove to be our best. However, I'd at least like to have Kelly and Mason playing at a high enough level that having them on the court at the same time is a strong option.

The team changes and loses some physicality when both Mason and Ryan are in the game but that doesn't make them a major liability. I also don't think that we need to automatically assume that Kyle will have to play the 4 extensively when Miles is out. We have other options providing we see the typical freshman to sophomore improvement in Mason and Ryan.

I think that it is more likely that you'll see Ryan develop into the defender at the 5. He is reportedly gained quite a bit of weight/muscle which was a major limiting factor for him last season. Even with that limitation though, Ryan seemed a solid defender from an understanding of what was necessary - he really does have a very higher bb IQ- and was a pretty good rebounder and shot blocker when he was in last season. He simply didn't have the beef to stay inside against bigger stronger players. I don't expect him to beat out Miles for the start but I think that with the extra weight and strength, he will be subbing in at the 5 rather than moving Mason over.

Mason strikes me as much more effective defender at the 4 if he can master the weakside rotations (which is likely to be a glaring weakness for the team early in the season). He is also a bit quicker which will be needed against a smaller and more mobile PF.

Offensively, both bring a good passing game to the court with Ryan being a very good passer to the post. Line-ups that include both Mason and Ryan with Singler, Nolan and Kyrie will drive opposing teams nuts because every single person can make a quality pass to an open player. Sub in Andre and you lose one passer but now have a player that simply must be covered - help and you're down another 3.

We have about 10 really good players we can put on the floor and an embarrasment of options. Last year, we had to grind. With our personnel, we didn't have a choice. Now we may have too many choices and will have to weed out the least effective.

Kedsy
10-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Obviously, one can't tell much from the Blue/White game, but it definitely seems we will be scoring a lot more points this year.

The main thing that jumps out to me about the clip is no one can keep KI in front of them.....which then begs the question, will we need to set the high pick/screens for him this year? That guy can get around anyone with no help. So, does that mean K needs to re-program how the Plumlees play? I wonder how they will adapt?

I agree we won't need to set on-ball screens this year (not just for Kyrie, but probably for Nolan and Kyle as well, considering they will be guarded by the 2nd and 3rd quickest guys on opposing teams). Whatever screens we set will be off-ball screens designed to get Seth, Andre, Nolan, or Kyle free for open 3-pointers. The best use of the Plumlees in the half-court offense would seem to be making backdoor cuts when the man defending them leaves (something which should happen quite often) to help on or double-team Kyrie, Nolan, or Kyle, and then either receive an alley-oop or dump off for the dunk. It's a role for which they seem much better suited than their role in last year's offense. I'm not worried about them adapting.

jimsumner
10-17-2010, 12:34 PM

Let me address this point a bit. Duke definitely will score more this season. Most likely give up more points also. K has said he wants games with more possessions this season because he thinks such games play to his team's strengths. So, expect Duke to force the tempo on offense and defense, press more, fast-break more, take shots earlier in possessions. Might not rebound as well but should force more turnovers and convert those turnovers into easy baskets. The big guys can all finish in transition.

Duke will try to run opponents into the ground. Remember those teams a decade or so ago, with Avery and then Williams running the attack? Scoring averages in the 88-91 ppg range. That's what Duke is aiming for this year. It should be a most entertaining team to watch.

MChambers
10-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Let me address this point a bit. Duke definitely will score more this season. Most likely give up more points also. K has said he wants games with more possessions this season because he thinks such games play to his team's strengths. So, expect Duke to force the tempo on offense and defense, press more, fast-break more, take shots earlier in possessions. Might not rebound as well but should force more turnovers and convert those turnovers into easy baskets. The big guys can all finish in transition.

Duke will try to run opponents into the ground. Remember those teams a decade or so ago, with Avery and then Williams running the attack? Scoring averages in the 88-91 ppg range. That's what Duke is aiming for this year. It should be a most entertaining team to watch.

Personally, my favorite thing about those teams (and the 91 and 92 teams) was when they would get on a defensive roll, and you could see the look of concern in the opponent's guards as they approached half court. They knew that every pass would be an adventure. I'm hoping this team can achieve that level of defense.

If they can, the scoring will take care of itself.

ACCBBallFan
10-17-2010, 02:04 PM
The team changes and loses some physicality when both Mason and Ryan are in the game but that doesn't make them a major liability. I also don't think that we need to automatically assume that Kyle will have to play the 4 extensively when Miles is out. We have other options providing we see the typical freshman to sophomore improvement in Mason and Ryan.

I think that it is more likely that you'll see Ryan develop into the defender at the 5. He is reportedly gained quite a bit of weight/muscle which was a major limiting factor for him last season. Even with that limitation though, Ryan seemed a solid defender from an understanding of what was necessary - he really does have a very higher bb IQ- and was a pretty good rebounder and shot blocker when he was in last season. He simply didn't have the beef to stay inside against bigger stronger players. I don't expect him to beat out Miles for the start but I think that with the extra weight and strength, he will be subbing in at the 5 rather than moving Mason over.

Mason strikes me as much more effective defender at the 4 if he can master the weakside rotations (which is likely to be a glaring weakness for the team early in the season). He is also a bit quicker which will be needed against a smaller and more mobile PF.

Offensively, both bring a good passing game to the court with Ryan being a very good passer to the post. Line-ups that include both Mason and Ryan with Singler, Nolan and Kyrie will drive opposing teams nuts because every single person can make a quality pass to an open player. Sub in Andre and you lose one passer but now have a player that simply must be covered - help and you're down another 3.

We have about 10 really good players we can put on the floor and an embarrasment of options. Last year, we had to grind. With our personnel, we didn't have a choice. Now we may have too many choices and will have to weed out the least effective.
Yes, admittedly it was while Josh was still having first appearance jitters, but Mason held him to 2 points, 0-4 form the field and good FT defense too only 204. :)

before Kyrie set Jiggy up for 18 oin second half versus Ryan/Miles.

In second half Mason held Miles to 4 points, one on a give away just in front of 3 point line that Miles took advantage of. Miles was 2-6 from field and Mason this time perfect on his FT defense 0-2 for Miles. :cool:

This Hoops report article was all positive about Duke and its bench

TheHoopsReport by Ryan Feldman
"Bench Will be Key to Duke's Dominance - http://bit.ly/bmRptw - Curry, Dawkins, Hairston, Kelly, Thornton will be reason Duke will dominate"

chrisheery
10-17-2010, 02:54 PM
This what Mason (and Miles) need. I wonder how you sign up for this camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mArHU1ewSog&feature=player_embedded

ACCBBallFan
10-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Regarding the Plumlees, I think each is ideal for this team.

I just think they ought to swap in for each other every 4 minutes to always go full out rather than have weaknesses that compound one another and strengths that cancel each other out.

Having one virtual Plumlee (by committee of two if you will) would be great.

The virtual Plumlee would:

1. be a double double for sure, sometimes a triple double,

2. defend and rebound well,

3. be allowed 10 PF's per game,

4. Dazzle the Crazies with highlight reel dunks both break aways and alley oops variety as well as intimidating blocks

5. make the PF they team with, be it Ryan, Kyle or Josh a much more effective player than any two of them teaming together without a virtual Plumlee would have been.

chrisheery
10-17-2010, 10:25 PM
But just imagine if the virtual Plumlees actually knew a post move or two. It still shocks me that this isn't the only thing guys with that much natural talent work on. They would make themselves a ton of money if they could learn even 25% of what Hakeem had at his disposal.

Gthoma2a
10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
But just imagine if the virtual Plumlees actually knew a post move or two. It still shocks me that this isn't the only thing guys with that much natural talent work on. They would make themselves a ton of money if they could learn even 25% of what Hakeem had at his disposal.

I am going to be honest and say that I want this too. I love the Plumlees, but they lack confidence and when they play on the inside, they are looking to look like big men with guard abilities, it reminds me of all-star games when they get the ball and try to show off. This is why I want Tyler Adams so badly. Tyler isn't looking to look pretty, but rather beat people up down low. The Plumlees have the ability to do whatever they want, but dunks will come in this offense, do the little things and show toughness... that is what brings them to a new level that will give them success at the next level.

ACCBBallFan
10-17-2010, 11:44 PM
I am going to be honest and say that I want this too. I love the Plumlees, but they lack confidence and when they play on the inside, they are looking to look like big men with guard abilities, it reminds me of all-star games when they get the ball and try to show off. This is why I want Tyler Adams so badly. Tyler isn't looking to look pretty, but rather beat people up down low. The Plumlees have the ability to do whatever they want, but dunks will come in this offense, do the little things and show toughness... that is what brings them to a new level that will give them success at the next level.Sounds like the Josh McRoberts days, sans the attitude.

Why not just enjoy them for what they are rather than place expectations of what a stereotype center ought to be.

Also sounds like the recruits loved CTC

@TheRecruitScoop Alex Kline by AdamZagoria
Top Recruits Breakdown Their Midnight Madness Experience - http://www.therecruitscoop.com/recruits-breakdown-midnight-madness-2010

ACCBBallFan
10-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Sounds like Tony Parker has no problem with how the Plumlees played

@AdamZagoria Adam Zagoria
2012 big man Tony Parker of Georgia said Duke visit was "great." "The school loves basketball. Coach K has a great system."

chrisheery
10-18-2010, 05:24 AM
Sounds like the Josh McRoberts days, sans the attitude.

Why not just enjoy them for what they are rather than place expectations of what a stereotype center ought to be.

Also sounds like the recruits loved CTC

@TheRecruitScoop Alex Kline by AdamZagoria
Top Recruits Breakdown Their Midnight Madness Experience - http://www.therecruitscoop.com/recruits-breakdown-midnight-madness-2010

I agree it does sound like that. How did McRoberts do for the first three years in the NBA (mostly NBDL)? To suggest that players shouldn't try to get better is really strange. In no way do I agree with you. The Plumlees, like McRoberts, have all the gifts required to be studs in college and the NBA. I find it odd that anyone, including them, wouldn't want them to become the best they could be.

Cockabeau
10-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Mason Plumlee should be shooting 300 hook shots a day. How hard is it to learn a half hook-I mean really???

theAlaskanBear
10-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Love how the season hasn't even started yet, and we (the royal we) are already back to questioning Coach K's development of post players. Buckle up folks.

A couple of things: the kind of improvements everyone wants the Plumlees to make aren't well highlighted in for-the-crowd scrimmages like CTC. Also, it wasn't that long ago we weren't even sure Miles would be a rotation player, Mason is just a sophomore...now we are ragging them for not having moves like Olajuwon and Kareem? Big men take time to develop, and just how many big men are there with skills like Kareem and Hakeem...I'm having trouble thinking of just one.

I bet when the season starts, and when we witness how good our team is at creating open looks and dishing to the big men we are going to be thankful we have a couple of very mobile, very athletic big men we can also handle the ball a bit and DUNK. Let's actually give our players time to show off what they have been working on before we start to attack them.

theAlaskanBear
10-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Mason Plumlee should be shooting 300 hook shots a day. How hard is it to learn a half hook-I mean really???

Why don't you get out there and show us? And for all you know Mason could be shooting 300 hooks a day.

Let's get back to the wonderful CTC experience, and leave the criticisms for the actual season, preferably the rare Duke loss. I wish I could have been there to experience the electricity! The freshmen really came out with a bang!

Indoor66
10-18-2010, 09:01 AM
I agree it does sound like that. How did McRoberts do for the first three years in the NBA (mostly NBDL)? To suggest that players shouldn't try to get better is really strange. In no way do I agree with you. The Plumlees, like McRoberts, have all the gifts required to be studs in college and the NBA. I find it odd that anyone, including them, wouldn't want them to become the best they could be.

Yeah, and so should Dwight Howard - and look what he gets paid.

Oops - wrong quoted post - should be cocabeau's (or whatever the name) 300 hook quote....

watzone
10-18-2010, 10:35 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/bdn-chats-it-up-with-dukes-new-1-kyrie-irving/ Kyrie Irving post game chat.

Battierfan01
10-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I love the shirts that the guys were wearing during the ring ceremony. They were the "Order Has Been Restored" shirts by Nike. Does anyone know if these can be purchased and if so where?

GODUKEGO
10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.zazzle.com/order_restored_tshirt-235086819140744284

juise
10-18-2010, 01:51 PM
I love the shirts that the guys were wearing during the ring ceremony. They were the "Order Has Been Restored" shirts by Nike. Does anyone know if these can be purchased and if so where?

I was desperate for one too, but I think the official word is that there was a limited run of those shirts and that they never went on sale to the public. Someone said that Roy was outraged by them and that kept them from going retail, but I'm not sure if that was true. Discussion here. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21515-quot-Order-quot-shirts-everywhere-at-K-Academy-where-s-mine)

BD80
10-18-2010, 01:57 PM
... Someone said that Roy was outraged by them and that kept them from going retail, ...[/URL]

Now I REALLY want one!

ACCBBallFan
10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/10/bdn-chats-it-up-with-dukes-new-1-kyrie-irving/ Kyrie Irving post game chat.Thanks for all you share, Mark, here and on twitter. Know you also have a business to run at least to cover expenses. Much appreciated

GODUKEGO
10-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Now I REALLY want one!

Again here is the link:

BD80
10-18-2010, 02:23 PM
One thing I noticed in watching the Midnight Madness on ESPNU is that there were only two teams that played defense in their scrimmages, Duke and Gonzaga. All the other scrimmages looked liked all-star games - zero defense and an emphasis on alley-oop dunks.

I like the team's competitive attitude, and think that Nolan and Kyle will be great leaders. I suspect that Kyrie will emerge as a leader by the end of the year.

The real leader has been trained in the world's best school for leaders, and it looks like he has a willing group of students this year. His comments about Lance being one of the best leaders he has ever coached is a clear message that there is a big void that must be filled. It should be a fun season watching this team develop. It will be interesting who will be willing to become the defensive stopper on the team and who will be the defensive "quarterback" leading the communication.

sagegrouse
10-18-2010, 02:30 PM
One thing I noticed in watching the Midnight Madness on ESPNU is that there were only two teams that played defense in their scrimmages, Duke and Gonzaga. All the other scrimmages looked liked all-star games - zero defense and an emphasis on alley-oop dunks.

As always. As always. I ran into a guy on the ski slopes who had just gone to the practice sessions at the Jacksonville subregional last March. He said Duke was the only team that put out any effort at all. The others were more like shoot-arounds. The Duke session, in comparison, was like WWII.

sagegrouse

Battierfan01
10-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Again here is the link:

Has anyone ordered one of these shirts from this company? I am thinking about ordering one of these shirts and I am just wondering if anyone has any experience in ordering from zazzle.com

pfrduke
10-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Well, we may not need to as a strict matter, but there's a reason that the pick and roll has been one of basketball's most potent offensive tactics basically since its invention. Pick plays put pressure on defenses and usually lead to players getting open looks - sometimes the ballhandler, sometimes the screener, and sometimes one of the other 3 guys on the court. I do think that the bigs will be "liberated" from their designated screener role, but we are still likely to see a lot of high screens. Even when Jason was here, the pick and roll and pick and pop (with Shane) were used reasonably often, and he was as good as getting into the lane as anyone we've had.

Indoor66
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Has anyone ordered one of these shirts from this company? I am thinking about ordering one of these shirts and I am just wondering if anyone has any experience in ordering from zazzle.com

I got one early on and am quite happy with it. No problems in ordering or receiving. I have purchased from zazzle on other occasions and hav never had a problem. Hope that helps.

uh_no
10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I feel so left out! I was in DC friday night and missed CTC.....good thing our next game is less than a week away! i might pop

SilkyJ
10-18-2010, 04:53 PM

No. We ordered ours from a different site and they are actually much better looking. See the photo about halfway down this page (http://www.carolinasucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23644). That's what ours look like.

I'll ask my dad where he ordered them from and post back here in a bit.

Battierfan01
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
No. We ordered ours from a different site and they are actually much better looking. See the photo about halfway down this page (http://www.carolinasucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23644). That's what ours look like.

I'll ask my dad where he ordered them from and post back here in a bit.

Thanks so much SilkyJ. Please do let me know the site so I can order one.

SilkyJ
10-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Sorry, but dad said he doesn't have the link anymore, and that its likely moot as the link was taken down shortly after we bought the shirts....sorry...