PDA

View Full Version : Music and BBQ tonight

allenmurray
06-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Robbie Fulks the Alt-Country artist (former Creedmoron - now based in Chicago) will be performing tonight at the Hide-Away BBQ in North Raleigh (Capital Blvd.). He'll be on NPR's local show The State of Things today at 12:30.

His latest CD, "Revenge" was featured on NPR's Fresh Air last month and got positive reveiws from sources as diverse as thisistexasmusic.com, USA today, Blender, and No Depression Magazine.

Hideaway, while not Eastern NC authentic, has some good BBQ. Robbie is one of this (almost loquacious) poster's favorite acts. So I I'm sure you'll have a good time. The show is at 8:30. It is worth every penny of the $15 you'll spend on admission. And if you come early you'll have some good ribs as well. The first DBR poster who decides to attend the show and lets me know will get a beer compliments of the always-sardonic, borderline-inappropriate and almost-loquaciousness allenmurray.

Mal
06-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Just seconding that recommendation...Robbie Fulks is a unique breed - he's not only an absolute treasure trove of knowledge about roots, folk, Americana and country music (he hosts "Secret Country" on XM, for crying out loud - the guy knows everything, EVERYTHING about the music), but he's also an actual, gifted musician and songwriter who can play the music he's so obsessed with. On stage, he manages to be alternately hilarious, raucous and poignant. Pretty darned good guitarist, too.

Anyone who appreciates real country music and thinks Toby Keith and Carrie Underwood and their ilk are a scourge should plunk down for a Fulks show. He's the real thing. I mean, c'mon, the guy wrote a song named "F$*# Nashville."

allenmurray
06-08-2007, 09:21 AM
The show was great. I was incorrect about his appearance on "The State of Things". It will be today (Friday, 6/8) at noon.