PDA

View Full Version : Booster/fan/recruit question

CameronBornAndBred
10-14-2010, 01:29 AM
First off..I want to say I'm happy for Sidney Lowe. State has been down so long, and I was raised with all three Triangle teams being in the mix..I'm longing to see them back in it.
WRAL has a nice article up on them, and their expectations this year. They quote Coach Red Jacket talking about freshmen CJ Leslie..

"I'm sure many of you ran across him at games or wherever. Thank you. Thank you," an appreciative Lowe told the crowd. "When he came back, he just talked about when he was out and about at games where Wolfpack fans kept saying, 'you got to come back. We want you there.'"

All I've ever heard on DBR (or any other fan forum) is that if you are fan, you are a booster. You are not allowed to say squat. In fact...I'm pretty sure State tried to squash a facebook group so they wouldn't get any infractions. And yet here Sidney is saying "thanks to anyone who talked to this kid". I honestly think it's great they did. If I saw a Duke recruit walking down the street, it would be very hard for me to bite my tongue and not say "see you next year!" with a hint of optimism. I'd never be busted for it anyways..it's barely enforceable.
Still, Lowe credits the fans (boosters) with Leslie now being at State. Is it wrong for him to do it?

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/8449796/

4decadedukie
10-14-2010, 07:42 AM
CB&B,

I agree with your reticence to say or do anything that might violate NCAA regulations (and they are quite complex and difficult for sincerely honest supporters and alumni to understand fully). Each year, many of us receive a booklet from the Iron Dukes that BRIEFLY highlights the restrictions with which “everyday fans and alums" should comply.

I find some of this simply lacks plain common sense, not so much in dealing with the "unknown" youngster, but especially for the child of a relative, friend, colleague or acquaintance. To illustrate, I have been deeply involved in Duke alumni volunteer leadership for almost two decades. People in my community, church, office and so forth are well aware of my Duke interest and commitment. What am I supposed to do if the high school youngster of a friend, neighbor or coworker asks me about Duke (fine so far), but then inquires regarding Duke’s intercollegiate athletic program or concerning a specific (unusually non-revenue) team (perhaps, not so fine)? It is more than a little awkward precipitously to interrupt that discussion indicating that NCAA rules may – and I honestly do not know where that line is drawn – preclude even general conversations by an alumnus with significant University linkages, not to mention buying that kid a soft drink or a cup of coffee.

I really wish someone would provide REALISTIC guidance vis-à-vis what can and cannot be done and/or discussed. Further, I particularly wish the NCAA would recognize that there are many individuals who genuinely support their overall goals for “squeaky clean” college athletics, who must ALSO interface with dozens of college-bound youngsters annually, many of whom legitimately want to know about Duke University.

If anyone from Duke’s Athletic Department, the ACC or the NCAA should read this, PLEASE consider taking some pragmatic and immediate actions to resolve this very real problem.

ACCBBallFan
10-14-2010, 09:11 AM
I understand what both posters are saying, but think it is more letter of the law versus spirit of the law.

With Twitter, facebook etc. easier to have access and also to leave an audit trail of what is technically a violation.

Much diferent than meeting them with a fist full of cash or prepaid gift cards though.

NCAA cannot turn these guys into hermits until they commit.