PDA

View Full Version : SI interview with Josh Luchs

blue post
10-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Just read this on Sports Illustrated's website, will be in newstands next week. An extremely interesting and eye-opening article on the career of NFL agent Josh Luchs.

Also includes some detail about his relationships with Gary Wichard and John Blake. Given that it is a potentially groundbreaking interview that goes far beyond the current UNC scandal, I thought it deserved its own thread.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html?eref=sihp

Acymetric
10-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Posted this several minutes ago in the unc scandal thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22546-UNC-Scandal-Little-Quinn-and-Austin-finished-at-UNC/page2&p=437865#post437865), having a separate thread for it is probably a good idea. Lots of interesting stuff in there.

roywhite
10-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Posted this several minutes ago in the unc scandal thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22546-UNC-Scandal-Little-Quinn-and-Austin-finished-at-UNC/page2&p=437865#post437865), having a separate thread for it is probably a good idea. Lots of interesting stuff in there.

Thanks for posting. I read the article; shouldn't be shocking, I guess, but it paints a dirty picture.

Certainly doesn't help UNC with information concerning Wichard and Blake.

pacificrounder
10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
This was such a great read. Really eye-opening and straight to the point. Truthful, which almost no one has been when it has come to these types of issues. Totally agree that it deserves it's own thread.

Two reactions I had: Good for KJ, saying thanks but no thanks. And, I hate Ryan Leaf even more now, and I didn't know that was possible. What a punk.

Channing
10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Santonio Holmes was on OSU in 2003 - the year of the Miami game. I wonder if an investigation into Holmes is launched because of this article (since I am sure the entire Miami roster at the time was clean).

nocilla
10-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Great read, very interesting.

blue post
10-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Santonio Holmes was on OSU in 2003 - the year of the Miami game. I wonder if an investigation into Holmes is launched because of this article (since I am sure the entire Miami roster at the time was clean).

I was wondering this as well, but it seems that he and OSU gets off based on the statue of limitations cited in SI article's sidebar:

Neither the schools nor the players in this story are likely to face NCAA scrutiny. The NCAA has a four-year statute of limitations on violations, and the most recent violation alleged by Luchs occurred in 2005. There are exceptions to the statute, but none appear applicable.

Anyone more familiar with NCAA legislation care to comment on whether the more recent offenses alleged in the SI piece can trigger investigations? Is there any precedent for this?

roywhite
10-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Had to chuckle at the Mel Kiper comments:

Gary also used his contacts in the media to help him recruit. In 2000, before a meeting with Stanford defensive lineman Willie Howard, Gary arranged for ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper to call. Gary and I were talking to Willie in Gary's office when Gary's phone rang, and he put it on speakerphone.

"Viper, how are you?" Gary said. That's what he called Mel, Viper or Vipe. "Viper, I'm sitting here with the best defensive lineman in college football. Do you know who that is?"

"You must be with Willie Howard," Mel said.

Gary used Mel like that all the time. In the agent business, people know Gary and Mel are close, and some people suspect that Mel ranks players more favorably if they are Gary's clients.

Channing
10-12-2010, 03:59 PM
hopefully this article knocks Mel Kiper down a peg or two. I can't stand the guy and generally think he is a pompous jerk.

Acymetric
10-12-2010, 09:40 PM
ESPN has an article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5678493) up...interesting that they mention Roger Goodell...

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that the league has talked to college coaches and agents about reports that a coach was on an agent's payroll.

"We had a report today from our college relations committee on our relationship with agents and college coaches. This is an area of great concern by the coaches on the college level, and we want to be responsive to that," Goodell said in Chicago, site of the NFL's fall meetings. "I think there is going to be an effort with college coaches and the agent community itself, possibly the NFL and NFLPA and to work together to bring a solution."

Lot of big entities getting involved here with the NFL, NC's AG, the NCAA...if there is something to uncover it gets done here or it'll never come to light based on what I see.

JasonEvans
10-13-2010, 09:07 AM
It is important to note the perspective on this article. Luchs openly says he came forward with this to tell "his side of the story" and repair his reputation after he got kicked out of the agent business. He is not some dispassionate observer who has no stake in the events relayed in the story. He certainly has an axe to grind with Gary Wichard, who got him suspended.

That said, it is not like he makes allegations against Wichard that are worse than the ones he makes against many other agents. I think the story rings very true and honest and many of the details have been confirmed by other people who were present to witness the payoffs and other shenanigans.

Fascinating story and one which certainly opens all our eyes about this seedy business. Props to the players in the story, include Keyshawn Johnson, who refused to take money when offered!

--Jason "amazing that Luchs' extremely lucrative career was ended over a $5000 check -- that's just foolish. What was his lawyer thinking!?!?!" Evans

sagegrouse
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
hopefully this article knocks Mel Kiper down a peg or two. I can't stand the guy and generally think he is a pompous jerk.

I thought everybody liked Mel's GEICO commercials. You know, "Is it true....? Well, does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?"

Wait, you say that's not Mel Kiper? How could there possibly be two guys with hair like that?

sagegrouse