PDA

View Full Version : UNC Scandal: Little, Quinn, and Austin finished at UNC

Acymetric
10-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Greg Little and Robert Quinn ruled inegligible by the NCAA, Marvin Austin has been dismissed from the team by the University, reported by Joe Schad (http://twitter.com/schadjoe).

Quinn and Little apparently received money and benefits (including jewelry) in addition to travel. No details on Austin yet, but presumably more of the same. Pretty big news...I think this is a small preview of what is to come., thought this might belong in a new thread at least for a while but feel free to merge.

UNC AD: "They made serious mistakes in judgement in accepting extra benefits and then not being truthful..."

Edit: Could a mod fix the title for me...Accidentally bumped the "post" button before I finished typing...

roywhite
10-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Greg Little and Robert Quinn ruled inegligible by the NCAA, Marvin Austin has been dismissed from the team by the University, reported by Joe Schad (http://twitter.com/schadjoe).

Quinn and Little apparently received money and benefits (including jewelry) in addition to travel. No details on Austin yet, but presumably more of the same. Pretty big news...I think this is a small preview of what is to come...

The lying to NCAA investigators does not go over well.

JasonEvans
10-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Here is the ESPN story (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5673405)on this.

North Carolina announced it had dismissed Austin from the team, while the NCAA said Little and Quinn have been ruled permanently ineligible by its student-athlete reinstatement staff. All three were implicated in an agent scandal for accepting impermissible benefits, and Little and Quinn were additionally cited for lying to investigators.

Davis and Baddour have a newser today and will talk more about it then.

--Jason "three very good players see their college careers go poof" Evans

roywhite
10-11-2010, 11:48 AM
I've seen NFL draft projections that have Quinn as a likely 1st round pick, Austin as a 1st or 2nd round pick, and Little as high as the 3rd round.

What I really don't get is why these guys decided to come back to play their senior year when their draft projections looked so favorable to turn pro this past spring. All of this travel and contact with agents was geared toward their pro football future. They wanted the material benefits that come with playing in the NFL, but couldn't be honest enough just to declare and get started on their pro careers?

JasonEvans
10-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I've seen NFL draft projections that have Quinn as a likely 1st round pick, Austin as a 1st or 2nd round pick, and Little as high as the 3rd round.

What I really don't get is why these guys decided to come back to play their senior year when their draft projections looked so favorable to turn pro this past spring. All of this travel and contact with agents was geared toward their pro football future. They wanted the material benefits that come with playing in the NFL, but couldn't be honest enough just to declare and get started on their pro careers?

They, like many folks, expected this to be a banner year for Carolina. It was not at all outrageous to think that Carolina could make a BCS bowl this year as the class of the ACC. I think these players figured they had put plenty of time into the program and wanted to reap the rewards of a great final season. I know that Austin and Little could have left last year, I am not sure if Quinn had put in his 3 years in the program yet so the draft may not have been an option for him.

Also worth noting that where they are projected this year and where they would have gone if they had come out last year could be very different. A guy who is projected as a first rounder in this coming draft might have been a 3rd rounder in the last draft. There is a biiiig money difference there.

--Jason "these guys got bad advice though, because the rules are going to change under the new CBA and rookie contracts are going to be much smaller starting next season" Evans

JasonEvans
10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Here is a bit more detail from the News Observer (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-austin-little-quinn-out-for-season)--

In a news release, UNC stated that the total value of benefits received was $4,952 for Little and $5,642 for Quinn, according to information submitted to the NCAA by the university.

Little was found to have accepted diamond earrings and travel accommodations to the Bahamas, Washington, D.C., and two trips to Miami, among other benefits. Quinn’s benefits were found to include two black diamond watches, a pair of matching earrings and travel to Miami.

The university also found that Little and Quinn were not truthful during three separate interviews with UNC and NCAA enforcement staff members. According to UNC, Little and Quinn only provided more accurate information when presented with evidence contrary to their assertions.

--Jason "diamond earrings... really?" Evans

roywhite
10-11-2010, 12:18 PM
They, like many folks, expected this to be a banner year for Carolina. It was not at all outrageous to think that Carolina could make a BCS bowl this year as the class of the ACC. I think these players figured they had put plenty of time into the program and wanted to reap the rewards of a great final season. I know that Austin and Little could have left last year, I am not sure if Quinn had put in his 3 years in the program yet so the draft may not have been an option for him.

Also worth noting that where they are projected this year and where they would have gone if they had come out last year could be very different. A guy who is projected as a first rounder in this coming draft might have been a 3rd rounder in the last draft. There is a biiiig money difference there.

--Jason "these guys got bad advice though, because the rules are going to change under the new CBA and rookie contracts are going to be much smaller starting next season" Evans

You are correct about Quinn; he is (would have been) a 3rd year junior this season, and eligible for the 2011 draft, but not the 2010 draft.

I'm not sure what Baddour and Butch Davis can say at this point. It would seem they have about run out of room to spin things. At least one, or maybe both, is a "dead man walking".

Kedsy
10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I saw a headline about Austin and Quinn and I couldn't understand what those two 2011 recruits had to do with UNC football... ;)

sandinmyshoes
10-11-2010, 12:56 PM
From what I understand, UNC folks, both adminstrative and fans, has figured Austin and Little gone since the scandal broke. Quinn was considered almost certainly gone. So this news seems more confirmation than any great surprise. They're also considered the three worst cases, so I am not sure this is really the first of more to come, at least in terms of severity.

Austin and Quinn anchored what was probably a top five defensive line. In fact, UNC had a top five in the nation type defense. The question mark was the offense. So far this season it looks as if the offense would have been okay, top 25 material. Combined with that defense UNC could probably have been a top ten team.

And, fwiw, I keep hearing that so far, Davis is safe. But if anything new is revealed, you have to think that will change in a hurry. Of course, I'm hearing it from booster types, admins, especially on the academic side, might have a different view.

What's going to really irritate me is if they get a majority of their currently suspended players back just in time for our game.:mad:

striker219
10-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Can't say that any of this is especially surprising, but what I really came here to say was this:

When I saw this headline, for the split second before I actually read it, all my brain saw was "Austin" "Quinn" "scandal" "UNC" and I almost choked on my lunch. Am I alone here? Am I (more) crazy (than I tell my wife I am)?

I really need basketball season to start.

striker219
10-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I saw a headline about Austin and Quinn and I couldn't understand what those two 2011 recruits had to do with UNC football... ;)

Huh, I read the thread and somehow missed this post. Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-11-2010, 01:19 PM
You are correct about Quinn; he is (would have been) a 3rd year junior this season, and eligible for the 2011 draft, but not the 2010 draft.

I'm not sure what Baddour and Butch Davis can say at this point. It would seem they have about run out of room to spin things. At least one, or maybe both, is a "dead man walking".
Believe it or not, there's a Support Butch Davis group on Facebook with growing numbers of those who "like." Just seems like a real life version of that Youtube cartoon going round. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHTdlxDnEEk

Acymetric
10-11-2010, 01:42 PM
From what I understand, UNC folks, both adminstrative and fans, has figured Austin and Little gone since the scandal broke. Quinn was considered almost certainly gone. So this news seems more confirmation than any great surprise. They're also considered the three worst cases, so I am not sure this is really the first of more to come, at least in terms of severity.

Austin and Quinn anchored what was probably a top five defensive line. In fact, UNC had a top five in the nation type defense. The question mark was the offense. So far this season it looks as if the offense would have been okay, top 25 material. Combined with that defense UNC could probably have been a top ten team.

And, fwiw, I keep hearing that so far, Davis is safe. But if anything new is revealed, you have to think that will change in a hurry. Of course, I'm hearing it from booster types, admins, especially on the academic side, might have a different view.

What's going to really irritate me is if they get a majority of their currently suspended players back just in time for our game.:mad:

If you want some really wild theories/rumors about the "more to come" side of things go over the the Pack Pride Scout board...there are 1 or 2 guys who seem to be really well sourced, having correctly predicted specific details way in advance. Some of the things, of course, are pretty far fetched...but some of it seems plausible. It'll be interesting to watch this continue to develop.

Oh, and did anyone notice in the presser that Dick Baddour actually had to address the idea of "lack of institutional control?" He said they would fight it, but that he even had to say that means that he is admitting it is a possibility. Ish gets deeper.

JasonEvans
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM
If you want some really wild theories/rumors about the "more to come" side of things go over the the Pack Pride Scout board...there are 1 or 2 guys who seem to be really well sourced, having correctly predicted specific details way in advance. Some of the things, of course, are pretty far fetched...but some of it seems plausible.

For those of us who do not read Pack Pride, can you provide some synopsis?

-Jason "I can smell the panic in the streets of Chapel Hill" Evans

jimsumner
10-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Perhaps. But "so far" is a pretty significant qualifier.

JasonEvans
10-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Baddour says Little did not start taking money/valuables from agents until after he was off the UNC basketball team. Link to the article (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/baddour-littles-violations-at-unc-started-after-he-stopped-playing-basketball).

North Carolina wide receiver Greg Little’s NCAA violations – which resulted in the senior being dubbed permanently ineligible this morning – occurred after his stint as a walk-on for North Carolina’s basketball team during the 2008-09 national championship season, athletic director Dick Baddour said today.

The article talks about some other stuff, including the fact that Austin got between $10-$13,000 in extra benefits from the agents -- not small stuff!

--Jason "if Carolina had to vacate the 2009 title for a walk-on who did not play at all that would have made this to most vicious scandal EVER!" Evans

77devil
10-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Baddour says Little did not start taking money/valuables from agents until after he was off the UNC basketball team. Link to the article (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/baddour-littles-violations-at-unc-started-after-he-stopped-playing-basketball).

But is he being truthful. Linkage to the BB team might be enough to precipitate a cover up. I'm not making an accusation, just sayin'. Keep following the money.

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Someone clear something up for me. What's the difference between being kicked off the team and "permanently ineligible"?

airowe
10-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Someone clear something up for me. What's the difference between being kicked off the team and "permanently ineligible"?

Austin was kicked off the team by UNC. Quinn and Little were declared permanently ineligible by the NCAA.

pfrduke
10-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Probably transfer related. Normally, players kicked off a team but with remaining eligibility can transfer to another school and play out that eligibility. Permanent ineligibility, I would guess, means no more NCAA athletics for you, any sport, any school.

sandinmyshoes
10-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I think Austin was kicked off the team, but his case hasn't been ruled on by the NCAA?
While the NCAA ruled Little and Quinn to be ineligible.

Acymetric
10-11-2010, 09:03 PM
For those of us who do not read Pack Pride, can you provide some synopsis?

-Jason "I can smell the panic in the streets of Chapel Hill" Evans

Word of much more money not yet reported...possibly from boosters. Money going not just to recruits but also to high school coaches. Those are probably the main things that I see. That a lot of what is happening right now is trying to keep the boosters from getting caught. Supposedly it could get very bad...some think it could drift into other sports. The line between what is academic and what is agent/benefits related is very unclear in terms of who is being investigated for what.

Of course sources have been known to be wrong...but every time unc contradicts itself or "new" information is discovered you really have to wonder...

Olympic Fan
10-12-2010, 01:11 AM

Hate to disagree ... but Butch is gone. It's already a done deal -- he'll resign for a nice settlement as soon as the season is over, probably with the same kind of phony explanation they gave when John Blake was kicked to the curb "to avoid being a distraction to the program."

There is much more to come out -- money from boosters to players and their high school coaches -- including, as I understand it, a slush fund that was administered by Davis himself. At least one more assistant will be bounced, probably before the end of the season.

UNC could wait for the NCAA report to come out and fire Davis with cause, but that might be awhile -- this thing is so deep and so complicated that it might by late summer 2011 before the final report is issued.

I know the IC folks are telling themselves there won't be sanctions, but they are fooling themselves. UNC is going to get MAJOR sanctions. When you look at what Southern Cal got for Reggie Bush, well this one involves more money, more players and a coach who was on the staff (the assistant head coach as a matter of fact). They are going to get hammered.

It's also very likely that they will end of vacating a lot of their recent wins -- all eight from last year. They also played at least one ineligible player in their first two wins this year ... and that doesn't count Sturdivant and Carter, who are also being linked in the booster payoff portion. UNC cleared them to play ... but maybe shouldn't have.

BTW Chris Hawkins is in court next week -- THAT could get interesting.

Take this for what it's worth -- the rantings of an internet poster. But keep in mind that almost everything that's come out of official sources at UNC has been a wrong or a lie (remember when Butch said the news of Blake's ties to Wichard were a shock to him ... and an hour later Dickie Baddour said 'oh, we knew it all along.'?) I wouldn't start believing them now.

PS I've been saying all along that basketball was insulated from this mess and it has been ... but I'm hearing that as the NCAA followes the booster money that's been going to players, a few questions are starting to be asked about certain benefits that UNC basketball players may have received. Stay tuned.

Indoor66
10-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Hate to disagree ... but Butch is gone. It's already a done deal -- he'll resign for a nice settlement as soon as the season is over, probably with the same kind of phony explanation they gave when John Blake was kicked to the curb "to avoid being a distraction to the program."

There is much more to come out -- money from boosters to players and their high school coaches -- including, as I understand it, a slush fund that was administered by Davis himself. At least one more assistant will be bounced, probably before the end of the season.

UNC could wait for the NCAA report to come out and fire Davis with cause, but that might be awhile -- this thing is so deep and so complicated that it might by late summer 2011 before the final report is issued.

I know the IC folks are telling themselves there won't be sanctions, but they are fooling themselves. UNC is going to get MAJOR sanctions. When you look at what Southern Cal got for Reggie Bush, well this one involves more money, more players and a coach who was on the staff (the assistant head coach as a matter of fact). They are going to get hammered.

It's also very likely that they will end of vacating a lot of their recent wins -- all eight from last year. They also played at least one ineligible player in their first two wins this year ... and that doesn't count Sturdivant and Carter, who are also being linked in the booster payoff portion. UNC cleared them to play ... but maybe shouldn't have.

Take this for what it's worth -- the rantings of an internet poster. But keep in mind that almost everything that's come out of official sources at UNC has been a wrong or a lie (remember when Butch said the news of Blake's ties to Wichard were a shock to him ... and an hour later Dickie Baddour said 'oh, we knew it all along.'?) I wouldn't start believing them now.

PS I've been saying all along that basketball was insulated from this mess and it has been ... but I'm hearing that as the NCAA followes the booster money that's been going to players, a few questions are starting to be asked about certain benefits that UNC basketball players may have received. Stay tuned.

I agree with you, Oly. I have no direct information, just a lot of years of observation. If a lot of money and benefits were flowing from boosters to atheletes and the school was located at the Dump on the Hump, I have serious doubts that such booster money and benefits did not reach basketball players. UNC boosters are greater basketball fanatics than football fans.

CameronBornAndBred
10-12-2010, 07:41 AM
I agree with you, Oly. I have no direct information, just a lot of years of observation. If a lot of money and benefits were flowing from boosters to atheletes and the school was located at the Dump on the Hump, I have serious doubts that such booster money and benefits did not reach basketball players. UNC boosters are greater basketball fanatics than football fans.
My problem with the above statement (and from Olympic) is that without a source or a valid media report, the idea that money is flowing from boosters (or that Davis is at the helm of some slush fund), is that it's just a rumor. It might be a really tasty sounding rumor, but still. Also...IF Davis is behind some slush fund, and ANYONE associated with the program knows about it, Butch would be fired immediately. They aren't that stupid that they will go to the extremes they are now to protect him if they know he is crooked. That would be huge, and would cost the program for years..especially if the NCAA determined it was known and then hidden from them. I would assume if it as deep as these rumors say, then the NCAA would probably be forced to slap the loss of institutional control penalty.

airowe
10-12-2010, 07:55 AM

The basketball program is under investigation from what I've been told. Whether anything ever surfaces from that is another story entirely.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2010, 08:44 AM
There is much more to come out -- money from boosters to players and their high school coaches -- including, as I understand it, a slush fund that was administered by Davis himself.

Oly, I agree with your whole post but have to ask about this, to the extent you can elaborate/substantiate. I will really be shocked if Davis himself got into the mud. It's one thing to turn a blind eye to what Blake was doing, or to avoid asking questions about the academic/tutor issue. It is a whole different kettle of fish to roll up one's sleeves and start channeling money as the head coach.

I'm not challenging your statement -- just trying to learn more.

Thanks, OPK

roywhite
10-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Oly, I agree with your whole post but have to ask about this, to the extent you can elaborate/substantiate. I will really be shocked if Davis himself got into the mud. It's one thing to turn a blind eye to what Blake was doing, or to avoid asking questions about the academic/tutor issue. It is a whole different kettle of fish to roll up one's sleeves and start channeling money as the head coach.

I'm not challenging your statement -- just trying to learn more.

Thanks, OPK

I think Butch is already in the mud, or even quicksand if you like.

Seems to me the combination of:
Wire transfers from an agent to an active asst. coach
Merchandise and travel accepted by Little, Austin, and Quinn
Lying to the investigators by (at least) those 3 players
The tutoring scandal (lesser perhaps but cumulative in terms of institutional control)
Blake's known reputation before even coming to UNC
Other matters under investigation

is already enough to take this past Southern Cal's situation in terms of potential NCAA penalties. The hammer should come down hard, and Butch can't escape it.

camion
10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I think that Davis is caught in something a bit more fragrant than mud. Like the legendary Shan of Iran (http://www.zts.com/node/901) a fit has hit with more fits likely to come.

(I can think of so many ways the story can be applied to UNC at this point. Maybe Butch should be named honorary Shan, or should it be Baddour?)

sandinmyshoes
10-12-2010, 10:52 AM

I would love to have some hint of who your sources are for all of that. Especially since you make it all sound like already discovered facts rather than speculation.

If I were an average UNC fan, what would worry me most would be the booster contact. My wife's family has a number of Ram's Club members in it. Most of her folk are good sorts, but they have themselves pointed out that there is a subset of UNC fans who are rabid football backers even to the point of resenting the basketball program. They see the basketball program as "keeping football down" and they seem to feel it is intentional. I could easily see that sort of booster trying a financial end run around the official administration.

DevilWearsPrada
10-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Scandal in Chapel Thrill. I get a big grin :D just reading that title.

Didn't Ty Lawson receive EXTRA TUTOR help, also?

Even with the Football sanctions, and the 1st string players that aren't playing, Unc is still looking good. And that gives a 2nd string, 3rd string or walkon a big window of opportunity. And to those student athletes, who didn't cheat, kudos.

Any day with Tarhole controversary, is always a great day.

JasonEvans
10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Didn't Ty Lawson receive EXTRA TUTOR help, also?

Huh? Where did you hear that? What are you implying? Are you saying that Lawson was a poor student? Do you have evidence of that?

I think every player at a major university in football/basketball has access to and uses the help of tutors, even the smartest players who get good grades probably use tutors. They'd be crazy not to and I bet most coaches require it of the team.

-Jason "please refrain from potentially slandering players -- even rival ones -- without something substantial to back it up" Evans

Turtleboy
10-12-2010, 11:44 AM
-Jason "please refrain from potentially slandering players -- even rival ones -- without something substantial to back it up" EvansSaying that someone received extra tutoring help is a slander? Holy Cow.

whereinthehellami
10-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Per packpride there is going to be more news about the tutor side of things also. More tutors involved and a possible direct link between Davis and THE tutor.

Again per packpride, the booster prong could blow up but will be hard to prove. Austin's mom might have took more money than Austin. Another coach might also be involved as a runner/agent.

Acymetric
10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Really interesting article where former NFL agent Josh Luchs tells about his career (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html?eref=sihp) as an agent...in particular how he started paying players. Mentions our friends John Blake and Gary Wichard in the "Raising the Stakes" section of the article but I recommend the entire thing, it was a really good read.

I think this would make a good article for the DBR frontpage...pretty big stuff.

ETA: Here's a little teaser:

He was just electric, and I leveraged him to get clients whenever I could. In '02 two of the biggest clients we got were due, in large part, to John.

Like I said...pretty big stuff.

CameronBornAndBred
10-12-2010, 08:44 PM
WRAL has posted an article that lays out the full terms of "Lack Of Institutional Control".
As well noted in it's opening statement, it's a term that has been "thrown around by fans and media like, leading to many flawed conversations concerning the NCAA investigation into North Carolina’s football program".

For those that don't fully know what it takes for that definition to be applied to a school (my hand is raised here) it's worth reading. It points out areas that the heels may be faltering in, and seemingly strong in.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/8442723/

4decadedukie
10-13-2010, 12:31 AM
CB&B,

Thank you for posting the hyperlink to WRAL's comprehensive explanation of "Lack of Institutional Control," which I just labored through.

I do not know if Tuesday's ESPN PTI (Pardon the Interruption) 1+ minute piece on UNC Football's ethical woes (illicit agent contacts, illegal cash payments, suspended and expelled players, plus academic dishonesty were all BRIEFLY mentioned) thoroughly assessed the NCAA's in-depth policies and regulations, as did WRAL. However, Kornheiser and Wilbon concluded their analysis with words very similar to, "This is the very definition of Lack of Institutional Control," specifically referring to Davis' terribly inadequate oversight of Blake (etc.) and his unwillingness to accept personal accountability.

Further, I thought this was PTI piece was rather significant, because the program is so widely viewed by America's broad sports-oriented public (not just those who ardently follow intercollegiate football and basketball).

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2010, 12:46 AM
CB&B,

Thank you for posting the hyperlink to WRAL's comprehensive explanation of "Lack of Institutional Control," which I just labored through.

You think you just worked hard, just imagine all the effort it took Greg Barnes to cut and paste all those big words.
The PTI piece sounds tasty...if it's worth it's salt ESPN will share the hell out of it online. (I'll sufffer through the 30 second intro commercial to smirk.)

roywhite
10-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Liars, Cheats: Sifting through the UNC rubble (http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2010/oct/13/liars-cheats-sifting-through-the-unc-rubble-ar-453510/)

Lenox Rawlings column today on state of affairs in Chapel Hill

But Austin still has enough earning potential to issue his public apologies through a Miami attorney. “I will pay a severe price for my poor decisions,” his statement reads, “by not being able to play my entire senior season.”

Ah, the self-pity of the well traveled.

As more and more details emerge, the chances grow slimmer that the NCAA will spare Carolina a severe price.

The investigations aren’t over, though.

The jewelry is still out.

wilko
10-13-2010, 11:41 AM
I was sent this link (http://www.supportbutchdavis.com/) and thought it was hilarious.

I for one fully support Butch's efforts to destroy UNC's credibility and divide the fan-base and bring the University under intense scrutiny. Kudos.

1st Duke Blue Unis then, this.. Good times.

BD80
10-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I was sent this link (http://www.supportbutchdavis.com/) and thought it was hilarious.

I for one fully support Butch's efforts to destroy UNC's credibility and divide the fan-base and bring the University under intense scrutiny. Kudos.

1st Duke Blue Unis then, this.. Good times.

The security code is MJ's number. That was #45, wasn't it?

OldPhiKap
10-13-2010, 12:49 PM

Yeah, with the Barons.

left_hook_lacey
10-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I think Butch is already in the mud, or even quicksand if you like.

Seems to me the combination of:
Wire transfers from an agent to an active asst. coach
Merchandise and travel accepted by Little, Austin, and Quinn
Lying to the investigators by (at least) those 3 players
The tutoring scandal (lesser perhaps but cumulative in terms of institutional control)
Blake's known reputation before even coming to UNC
Other matters under investigation

is already enough to take this past Southern Cal's situation in terms of potential NCAA penalties. The hammer should come down hard, and Butch can't escape it.

You have to keep in mind though, the "Lack of Institutional Control" penalty was given to USC, but USC was a repeat offender in recent years, with major infractions spread out among many sports. The OJ mayo scandal is one example. I remember reading that the multiple infractions over many years, in more than one sport helped contribute to these "lack of institutional control" label being cast on USC. I think the NCAA will take into consideration UNC's track record over the last 4 or 5 decades.

whereinthehellami
10-13-2010, 01:26 PM

I'm thinking at least half of the people that have pledged their support for Butch our fans of rival schools. The only thing that Davis had going for him as a college coach was his ability to recruit, that is going to be hamstrung for the next few years.

I love how UNC sold their souls to the devil for the illusion of big time football. I hope they keep BMFD and reap what they sowed.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I’m sick of schools trying to absolve themselves, trying to say the way they do business is fine, everything is cool, it was just a bad apple, or a few of them. But you know what? If you’ve got 13 bad apples – 13 Tar Heels missed the season opener – your problem isn’t agents.

Kalani Simpson gives his thoughts at Foxsports.
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/NCAA-punishments-scandal-North-Carolina-football-team

roywhite
10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Kalani Simpson gives his thoughts at Foxsports.
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/NCAA-punishments-scandal-North-Carolina-football-team

Good piece. Sure has been a big difference in this story between the Universities of North Carolina and South Carolina both in the extent of the problem and how it's been dealt with.

At South Carolina, it was determined fairly quickly there was one player who had been involved in accepting illegal travel and merchandise benefits. No big damage control operation, frequent press conferences, and grudging admissions. Nope, in Columbia, the head football coach stood up and promptly kicked the offender off the team, saying (in effect) good riddance.