PDA

View Full Version : Miami @ Duke Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
10-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Miami comes to town this week after being blown out at home by FSU 45-17. Duke has played Miami tough the past three seasons so one has to ask, is 2010 the year the Blue Devils get a win over the 'Canes? It is time to end this losing streak and turn the season around. Duke has seven football games left in 2010 and our winning streak starts on Saturday. Let's discuss the game.

Oh, and on a personal note:

http://www.wral.com/weather/

I'm loving the weather report.

Fans in Miami are calling for heads to roll. Specifically, Randy Shannon (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/11/1867204/shannon-shoulders-the-blame-for.html) and Jacory Harris (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/10/1866399/change-of-fortunes-for-harris.html) are feeling the heat.

devildeac
10-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Miami comes to town this week after being blown out at home by FSU 45-17. Duke has played Miami tough the past three seasons so one has to ask, is 2010 the year the Blue Devils get a win over the 'Canes? It is time to end this losing streak and turn the season around. Duke has seven football games left in 2010 and our winning streak starts on Saturday. Let's discuss the game.

Oh, and on a personal note:

http://www.wral.com/weather/

I'm loving the weather report.

Fans in Miami are calling for heads to roll. Specifically, Randy Shannon (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/11/1867204/shannon-shoulders-the-blame-for.html) and Jacory Harris (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/10/1866399/change-of-fortunes-for-harris.html) are feeling the heat.

We really need to hang on to the football and hopefully get more than 40-50 yards rushing in the game to keep their D honest. I hope we downgrade the hurricanes to a tropical depression by about 4 PM Saturday afternoon.;)

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Do Not Turn The Ball Over!!!!!!!!
We do that and we can win.

mkline09
10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Here is a link to a piece I wrote on Bleacher Report about what I think Duke needs to do moving foward.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/488022-duke-football-after-a-1-4-start-blue-devils-need-to-focus-on-five-things

loran16
10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I think this is a winnable game guys. Not one where we should be expected to win. But one in which we certainly can win.

Miami's QB, Jacory Harris, Is VERY Interception Prone. If Duke can pick him off a few times (let say twice) and capitalize, it would be huge.

Meanwhile, our D showed signs of a breakthrough vs a conventional offense (by conventional i mean it wasn't an option offense) against Maryland. If they can build on this and force 3 and outs, we have a good shot.

And of course the offense. I trust in Cut in getting Renfree up to Thad's level by the end of the year, and I suspect they've worked a lot on his decision making during the bye week.

Can't wait for the game.

Bob Green
10-11-2010, 12:16 PM
I think this is a winnable game guys. Not one where we should be expected to win. But one in which we certainly can win.

I agree with you. Turnovers have killed us in three of our four losses. The offense needs to be clicking on all eight cylinders. Vegas has the 'Canes favored by 17 points:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

We need a positive turnover margin +/- on Saturday.

4decadedukie
10-11-2010, 12:23 PM
I agree; Duke can win and zero turnovers will be important – perhaps critical – to our potential victory. With that said, Miami will doubtless start the game with vengeance, after being taken to the woodshed by FSU last Saturday. We MUST also prevent a first half blowout, in order to prevail.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I agree; Duke can win and zero turnovers will be important – perhaps critical – to our potential victory. With that said, Miami will doubtless start the game with vengeance, after being taken to the woodshed by FSU last Saturday. We MUST also prevent a first half blowout, in order to prevail.
I agree! As our friend banjeaux pointed out in his recent post, it's important for those who can do so to show up and support the team. This game has the potential of being a season changer.

CameronBornAndBred
10-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Fun quote from Cutcliffe...

"You know I've seen it go both ways, I really have. Everybody says 'Well, they're mad', well I'm mad too," Cutcliffe told Mike Maniscalco and Mark Thomas Tuesday on 620 The Buzz. "I don't know who's the maddest, we'll find out."

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/8437460/

DevilWearsPrada
10-12-2010, 11:34 AM
We NEED a Win!!! Its Iron Dukes/Varsity Game Day. So come out and enjoy the barbeque, and great weather. Be early for the Blue Devil walk through Blue Devil Alley. The team really likes the support.

I have 3 extra tickets, as I have 4. I have attended football games, since a young girl, in grade school. I go early, and sit through the entire game. AS, students leave early, and most other Season holders leave at half time or early 3rd quarter.

I have been a season holder forever, as my Dad was, also.

I have respect enough for the coaching staff and players to sit in Wallace Wade for the entire game. I would be there, if that were my brother, boyfriend, cousin, friend, son, or the parent of sister, etc of a cheerleader or dance team member, and support them. I Buy a program at every game.

So I support Duke Football.

Do we stand a chance againest the Hurricanes? The mental toughness has yet to set in, thus far. Perhaps with a bye week, the team did Regroup.

I am cheering loud in the stands, and shouting "Don't mess with Miami connection" (Connor and Donovan).

bluepenguin
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
It is time to end this losing streak and turn the season around. Duke has seven football games left in 2010 and our winning streak starts on Saturday.
I wear blue colored glasses like many of the folks posting on this board. But, after many years of getting my hopes up for football (This is the year!), I find it very hard to generate a whole lot of enthusiasm.
I know the guys are putting forth 100% and I have no criticism of the team. I just don't think they have the artillery to compete. I don't think they will beat Miami, and I really don't think they will win even half of the remaining games they gave.
I sure hope I'm wrong, but judging from the past....

DevilWearsPrada
10-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I wear blue colored glasses like many of the folks posting on this board. But, after many years of getting my hopes up for football (This is the year!), I find it very hard to generate a whole lot of enthusiasm.
I know the guys are putting forth 100% and I have no criticism of the team. I just don't think they have the artillery to compete. I don't think they will beat Miami, and I really don't think they will win even half of the remaining games they gave.
I sure hope I'm wrong, but judging from the past....

I will be there early for the Walk and Iron Dukes Barbeque. Weather will be great. I don't think Duke has the Weapons of Destruction, yet. And the kids need Mental Toughness. October is a new season. I will be there for the entire game.

budwom
10-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Our chances of winning are just about zero. The one ray of hope is that their QB, Harris, has a groin injury. It's possible they'll rest him for the Duke game. If so, we might somehow find a way to prevail. But it's overwhelmingly unlikely. Our defense is porous, to put it nicely. I'll be there nonetheless, just in case.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2010, 02:05 PM
C'mon, boys -- time to plant the flag in the ground and defend our home field.

Let's start the back half of the season with something thats pleasing.

Go Duke!

Bob Green
10-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Our chances of winning are just about zero.

In order to win, we will need to play mistake free football and have Miami cough up the ball a couple of times. We've had a serious case of the turnover bug so far this season so perhaps it is time for the tables to turn in our favor. I'm flying in to see the game and intend to focus some serious karma toward Miami having five turnovers and Duke zero.

Olympic Fan
10-12-2010, 03:30 PM
It's amazing how people get locked into a percention and refuse to be swayed be facts.

Is our defense porous or is it evolving?

It was certainly pretty awful early this season -- giving up 116 points and more than 1,000 yards in total offense in the losses to Wake Forest and Alabama. No excuses -- no defense -- even though we could have won the Wake game without a couple of turnovers and a botched punt, the defense was still pitiful.

But a fair person would have to admit that the defense has shown improvement in the last two games. I know that Army scored 35 points, but 21 of those were the direct result of turnovers -- a 2 yard scoring drive, a 4 yard scoring drive and a 29 yard scoring drive. The Cadets got just 333 yards total offense and had to punt six times.

Against Maryland, the defense took another step. The Terps got one TD on a 85-yard punt return, but scored just twice against the defense. They had 294 yards total offense and punted eight times.

Now, I know that Army and Maryland aren't offensive juggernauts and that the defense had breakdowns in both games, but even so, you have to see that there is progress.

Duke is still losing largely because of the turnover battle. Duke has committed seven turnovers in those two games and gotten none. Throw in a couple of breakdowns in the kicking game and it explains why we lostv two games to teams that we outgained 771 yards to 627 yards.

Miami's offense is certainly better than Army or Maryland. We'll see how far they come, but I agree with the posters who suggest that to have a chance, we'll have to win the turnover battle. Plus two and I'd rate our chances as 50-50 ... if we finish plus three or better, we win ... anything less than plus two and we lose.

As for our chances being "just about zero: ... I don't know. For some reason, we've played Miami tough in recent years. Last year's team lef 16-13 in the fourth quasrter in Miami ... the year before, Duke was up 17-14 at the half and up 24-21 late in the third quarter. And two years before that, we were at the Miami 10 with a chance to win on the game's final play.

Miami will be tough, there are hardly the invincible giant that Alabama was.

jimsumner
10-12-2010, 04:14 PM
FWIW,

Cut said today that Banks, Glover and Thornton practiced. Too early to tell if they'll play Saturday. We'll know more Thursday.

devildeac
10-12-2010, 04:18 PM
In order to win, we will need to play mistake free football and have Miami cough up the ball a couple of times. We've had a serious case of the turnover bug so far this season so perhaps it is time for the tables to turn in our favor. I'm flying in to see the game and intend to focus some serious karma toward Miami having five turnovers and Duke zero.

Is this the serious karma to which you refer:

http://thefullpint.com/events/avery-brewing-karma-ale-release-party

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/beer.gif

Bob Green
10-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Jacory Harris will play against Duke:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/13/1870518/um-coach-randy-shannon-jacory.html

Hopefully he throws a couple of more interceptions.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Jacory Harris will play against Duke:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/13/1870518/um-coach-randy-shannon-jacory.html

Hopefully he throws a couple of more interceptions.
Hell yeah, he is one of Duke's best advantages! It was fun watching him suffer against FSU.

Chard
10-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Coach Cutcliffe interview. (http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/caneswatch/2010/10/13/dukes-david-cutcliffe-on-jacory-harris-peyton-mannings-happy-feet-and-facing-unhappy-canes/)

loran16
10-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Could be a worse start, 3-0 Devils.

I don't like having Connette in so quickly though. Trick plays are great later on when the opponent's D is used to your O's regular business, but at the beginning they make little sense.

Let Renfree get 3 downs to get in the endzone.

Also, SNEAD or SCOTT before Thompson please!

loran16
10-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Defense holds, Scott makes a great first down run, and then we go stupid.

STOP BRINGING IN CONNETTE/THOMPSON SO EARLY.

2nd and 1 you HAVE to pick it up in 2 downs.

EDIT: Terrible Punt, lovely.

loran16
10-16-2010, 01:21 PM
AND THE D FORCES A TURNOVER ON DOWNS.

Wow. Is this the same D from the Army game?

loran16
10-16-2010, 01:44 PM
But Miami in the Red Zone as the D seems to be having issues for the first time today.

Our Punter has been downright terrible today.

Also, Bob Harris is really really bad at describing plays. It's irritating.

loran16
10-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Defense just broke down that drive after 2 great stops.

7-3 Miami, big drive coming here for Duke.

Renfree has to start coming up big. Start passing on 1st down, varying receivers, and NO TRICK PLAYS.

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
That kick did not look like it went through to me from where i'm standing...anyone watching at home see whether it did or not?

loran16
10-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Acymetric, can't tell, I've only got Bob on the radio.

Also, Why is Juwan Thompson getting so many darn carries?

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Ok Sean gets one more series. If he keeps overthrowing wide open receivers and throwing into double coverage we need to pull him. He is making awful decisions right now.

Our defense looks great but our offense is keeping them on the field.

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Shooting ourselves in the foot...hopefully we run out of bullets soon.

...wow our receivers HAVE to quit tipping the ball up like that.

PDDuke85
10-16-2010, 02:44 PM
So frustrating! I'm in favor of pulling Renfree for the second half.

loran16
10-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Just awful. Wtf was that playcalling on the last play? We should've at least gotten a field goal attempt off.

Team needs to get at least 3 on the opening drive of the 2nd half, or it's over.

On the bright side, D has been fairly good this game.

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Just awful. Wtf was that playcalling on the last play? We should've at least gotten a field goal attempt off.

Team needs to get at least 3 on the opening drive of the 2nd half, or it's over.

On the bright side, D has been fairly good this game.

Disagree. We don't get 7 I'm gonna go ahead and call the game. If the first 2 plays are screen passes or runs I'm going to absolutely lose it. Time for Roper to earn his check.

loran16
10-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Disagree. We don't get 7 I'm gonna go ahead and call the game. If the first 2 plays are screen passes or runs I'm going to absolutely lose it. Time for Roper to earn his check.

3 puts us within 8, which is still 1 score.

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 03:06 PM
3 puts us within 8, which is still 1 score.

You have a lot more confidence in our ability to convert on the goal line than I do. And with our ultra conservative playcalling we might score and kick the point to be down 1 anyways.

Sorry if I seem negative, but I'm coming live from Wallace Wade and offensive playcalling and execution are pretty much unbearable.

loran16
10-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Of course a pick 6 ends the game regardless.

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Get Renfree out of there. Where is the Ol' Ball Coach when you need him?

stals
10-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Why is he still in? Do we have no other QB? He looks like a deer in the headlights and is obviously rushing his throws.

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Need 3 TDs to take lead, running on 1st and 2nd down. Unbelievable. Of course Miami with a big lead will throw deep and look to score.

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Looks like Schroeder and Connette are warming up on the sideline...one of them may go in. A quarter to late, coaches. Peyton Manning wouldn't stay in the game performing like this.

stals
10-16-2010, 04:09 PM
We're paying Cut $1 mill+ for Roof results? Great.

Acymetric
10-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Disgusted with the staff right now. Recovering the onside does not make up for bleeding 3+ minutes off the clock on that drive.