PDA

View Full Version : Ctc roll call !!

moonpie23
10-11-2010, 09:14 AM
MOONPIE23

for the first time ever, i'm attending CTC. I feel it is my duty, honor and privilege since i used THE FORCE to will that shot to miss.....

that being said.........i know some of you helped..... are you joining me?

mods please pummel me should this thread be too gauche....

it's gonna be a throw-down!!

http://ui32.gamespot.com/479/702headbanginstick_4.gif

dukeballboy88
10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
im in bro!

cbnaylor
10-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Count me in...the tickets finally came in the mail!

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2010, 09:36 AM
I've been to lots of Blue-White games, but this will be the first one for me that is on a Friday, and it will be the first one with a new banner to see! Looking forward to the festivities and game.

wtm001
10-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I'll be there for sure

Son of Jarhead
10-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Can't wait to see that new banner... & to see this year's team in action. Go Duke!

30scheyer
10-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I'll be there... in section 8.

aro24
10-11-2010, 09:59 AM
My 5 year old son and I will be there. Section 4 (tickets finally came in the mail last Friday)
He is so excited !

ARo24

mattman91
10-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Section 7 row o seats 1 and 3!

Battierfan01
10-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I'll be there with a buddy and his wife. This is their 1st CTC and I know it will be awesome!! We will be in Section 2 Row A (behind the grad student section), so drop by and say hello.

mattman91
10-11-2010, 10:12 AM
We should have a DBR Reunion at CTC.

devildeac
10-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Probably a trip to Tyler's Taproom before CTC with seats in Section 14 for the festivities. To the rafters!

Battierfan01
10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
We should have a DBR Reunion at CTC.

I think that's a great idea. I would love to meet everyone. Maybe we can pick a central location on campus and meet before CTC starts. Just an idea.

noyac
10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Won't be able to make but does anyone know if it is going to be televised or streamed online?

obsesseddukefan
10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
My girlfriend and I will be making the 14 hour drive as per usual the last 5 years..this will be our second CTC.
I have to admit I am a little dissapointed with the CTC this year compared to last. I will miss the autograph session this year, but all in all should be a good time. I just think it was poorly planned this year. If memory serves me correctly, there was a football game last year as well but, from my understanding that is why CTC wont be as big this year. Any news??

KShip21
10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm in! I like the idea of getting together before the festivities.

jimrowe0
10-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I will be there with three other friends

wtm001
10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
I think that's a great idea. I would love to meet everyone. Maybe we can pick a central location on campus and meet before CTC starts. Just an idea.

Set up a tent with "DBR" on the top :p

TaiAdmiral
10-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Front and center in Section 17! Check out the CTC edition of Deviled Eggs from CrazieTalk!

http://www.crazie-talk.com/2010/10/11/deviled-eggs-countdown-to-craziness-edition-october-11th-2010/

RelativeWays
10-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll be there, but I forgot what section and I don't have my tix in front of me.

GLTBD
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
My husband and I will be there. I even took the entire day off work. Can't wait. :)

striker219
10-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Section 6, O, 24-26, it's going to be a looooong week.

duke blue brewcrew
10-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Won't be able to make but does anyone know if it is going to be televised or streamed online?

I was wondering the same thing, does anyone know the answer to this? I'm in Atlanta and won't be able to attend live.

duke blue brewcrew
10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I apologize if this is being covered in a different thread, but besides Austin Rivers, which other recruits will be in attendace for CTC?

sgdevil
10-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I was wondering the same thing, does anyone know the answer to this? I'm in Atlanta and won't be able to attend live.

GoDuke.com will stream it live but you have to join inside access (10 bucks a month) or you can watch it on ESPNU at 9pm if I'm not mistaken. My wife and I will be going section 7.

sgdevil
10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I apologize if this is being covered in a different thread, but besides Austin Rivers, which other recruits will be in attendace for CTC? Quinn Cook, Quincy Miller, Rasheed Sulaimon, Amile Jefferson, Tony Parker, TJ Warren and Rodney Purvis.

Duke: A Dynasty
10-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I'll be there... in section 8.

me too row c

weezie
10-11-2010, 07:02 PM
IN!!! :cool:

Newton_14
10-11-2010, 08:35 PM
I am there! Section 5 Row A Seat 18..

Really looking forward to seeing that banner go up! Last year CTC was great and given the National Title, this year will likely be even better. The players will be pumped and Cameron will be rocking.

Looking forward to seeing how the new guys look and how improved the veterans are.

Would love to meet some fellow DBR's in person as well.

Go Duke!

dukebsbll14
10-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Currently in the process of getting a group of 6 together and getting a spreadsheet of who's gonna be in line when. Going there right after my 8:30 chem lecture haha.

Duke 2014.....present!!

chadlee989
10-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Count me in. I will be there. Cant wait. I also took the whole day off.

NCDBlueDevilsTC78
10-11-2010, 10:20 PM
My son and I will be there in the middle of Section 7, GO DUKE!!!!

airowe
10-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Quinn Cook, Quincy Miller, Rasheed Sulaimon, Amile Jefferson, Tony Parker, TJ Warren and Rodney Purvis.

Add Marshall Plumlee and Nate Britt as well.

dukeballboy88
10-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I dont know what section im in but I cant wait. Im hype, this will be my first CTC. Ive ben to several games and blue white scrimmages but never CTC so im gassed!

I think it would be cool to meet some fellow DBR members as well.

Battierfan01
10-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Does anyone know if the team poster will be available at CTC? I know at last year's CTC it was available to purchase, but I haven't heard any word about it this year.

fitimi1
10-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Also will be there

wtm001
10-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Does anyone know if the team poster will be available at CTC? I know at last year's CTC it was available to purchase, but I haven't heard any word about it this year.

I read somewhere that it would be available and could be purchased. I can't remember where it was though.

jcannon
10-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I will be there in Section 4 Row F. My first CTC, so I am pumped.

strawbs
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
this is kind of a different topic but i didn't want to make a new thread.

anyone know if there is a way to watch ctc online? pay or free? I know espnu will be broadcasting from CIS but there is no guarantee that the majority of their coverage will be of duke, and i really want to see as much ctc as possible.

CameronBornAndBred
10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
this is kind of a different topic but i didn't want to make a new thread.

anyone know if there is a way to watch ctc online? pay or free? I know espnu will be broadcasting from CIS but there is no guarantee that the majority of their coverage will be of duke, and i really want to see as much ctc as possible.
Goduke.com will broadcast. You need to sign up, pay a fee. I've been hesitant in the past (I have been a long time audio only subscriber) but i might go full in this year. I'm a big fan of the women's team as well..and they stream games (not for all, but some) and also lots of post game interviews for all sports. I think it's $80 for a year, but you can pay by month only.

ACCBBallFan
10-13-2010, 01:11 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/JayJayESPNDime

An interesting tweet:

@JayJayESPNDime Jason Jordan
I asked UK recruit K Wiltjer who wins between UK's BBM visitors and Duke's CTC visitors "We would of course!" @UKBIGBLUENATION @dukehoopblog

flyingdutchdevil
10-13-2010, 09:04 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/JayJayESPNDime

An interesting tweet:

@JayJayESPNDime Jason Jordan
I asked UK recruit K Wiltjer who wins between UK's BBM visitors and Duke's CTC visitors "We would of course!" @UKBIGBLUENATION @dukehoopblog

Would you expect Duke recruit A Rivers to say "They would of course!"? Allegiance to your school first and foremost, even if it is UK.

Mr Blue Devil
10-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey guys! I set up a Twitter account just to post from CTC! I'll document my trip there, the campus visit, Kville activities, CTC and more!!! Check it out :)

Mr Blue Devil's CTC (http://twitter.com/mrbluedevilsctc#)

chrisj59
10-14-2010, 09:08 PM
I will be there too in Section 8 Row A.

duketaylor
10-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Marshall Plumlee
Michael Gbinije
Austin Rivers
Quinn Cook
Rasheed Suliamon
Amile Jefferson
Tony Parker
Rodney Purvis

From the BlueDevilsReign.com website, these recruits/commits will be there tomorrow night, more may be as well.

Y'all make some noise for them, please.

Hancock 4 Duke
10-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Im getting checked out EARLY just to make my way up to Durham for CTC!

DevilWearsPrada
10-15-2010, 08:19 AM
I think I only slept 2 hours last night. I am so excited about CTC. And seeing Coach K, and the team on the news, every sports segment on News 14.......had me bouncing off the ceiling. You would think I was a kid at Christmas. However, Duke Basketball lasts: Oct-March (and early April for the Final 4).

I know the CTC will be so much better than last year. And it so much fun last year...

Lets go BACK 2 BACK...........YEAH BABY!!!:cool:

CameronBornAndBred
10-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Leaving for Durham in a few hours....I'm getting excited!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! GO DUKE!!!!!! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/happy/bouncyblue.gif http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/duke_bluedevil.gif http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/happy/bouncyblue.gif http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/duke_bluedevil.gif

wtm001
10-15-2010, 09:54 AM
I got sick yesterday! I feel a little better, but it pisses me off because I haven't been sick in MONTHS. Who cares? I'm still going! :p

nocilla
10-15-2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/10/13/countdown-to-craziness-matchup-preview/#utm_source=feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feed

I don't know if this has been linked somewhere else or not, but I thought it would be appropriate here.

nocilla
10-15-2010, 10:32 AM
One other thing; Did anyone else notice the names of these events at other schools? Usually they are something to get the fans excited about their team. Countdown to Craziness, Red Rally at State, Big Blue Madness at UK, etc.

But one school decided to go a different route and call theirs 'Late Night with Roy', as if the main attraction is the coach. Anyone else have a problem with this?

lpd1982
10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I already gave this its own thread but since it's for Coach's favorite charity hope it's OK

Tonight at CTC there will be a table where die hard fans can make a donation to the Emily K Center (a great place, named after Coach's mom where economically disavantaged Durham kids get an academic leg up through a daily accelerated academic program) and have the chance to 1)attend a private practice of our team while sitting with Chris Carawell, 2)have dinner at Scharf Hall in state-of-the-art Krzyzewski Center 3)Participate in an interactive discussion with Coach K and Jay Bilas, and 4) tour the new Duke Basketball Museum in the Schwartz/Butters Athletic Center on Nov 10th. There are a limited number of tickets that go for $250 for two people. These opportunities are pretty rare. Look for the table outside Cameron and let them know you are a DBRer. The tickets aren't cheap, but the cause is great since they are literally changing lives over there. Consider it a Christmas present to yourself or someone you know who bleeds blue!

Battierfan01
10-15-2010, 11:38 AM
One other thing; Did anyone else notice the names of these events at other schools? Usually they are something to get the fans excited about their team. Countdown to Craziness, Red Rally at State, Big Blue Madness at UK, etc.

But one school decided to go a different route and call theirs 'Late Night with Roy', as if the main attraction is the coach. Anyone else have a problem with this?

Yeah, and I think that the 'Late Night with Roy' name is a little out of date since the event doesn't start late (midnight) like it use too and now starts around 7:00. Maybe they should change the name to 'Early Evening with Roy'.

Merlindevildog91
10-15-2010, 01:36 PM
How about "Early Bird Special with Roy"?

Assuming the devildogs can get out of work at reasonable times, we'll be in Section 17. (If we don't get out at reasonable times, we will be in Section 17 unless stopped for speeding.)

lpd1982
10-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Quoted the wrong price...looks like it is $250/person. Time for this old geezer to get out the readers!
Still a great opportunity to have fun while giving

I already gave this its own thread but since it's for Coach's favorite charity hope it's OK

Tonight at CTC there will be a table where die hard fans can make a donation to the Emily K Center (a great place, named after Coach's mom where economically disavantaged Durham kids get an academic leg up through a daily accelerated academic program) and have the chance to 1)attend a private practice of our team while sitting with Chris Carawell, 2)have dinner at Scharf Hall in state-of-the-art Krzyzewski Center 3)Participate in an interactive discussion with Coach K and Jay Bilas, and 4) tour the new Duke Basketball Museum in the Schwartz/Butters Athletic Center on Nov 10th. There are a limited number of tickets that go for $250 for two people. These opportunities are pretty rare. Look for the table outside Cameron and let them know you are a DBRer. The tickets aren't cheap, but the cause is great since they are literally changing lives over there. Consider it a Christmas present to yourself or someone you know who bleeds blue!

jipops
10-15-2010, 06:41 PM
AAAARRRGGG! What is the deal with parking!?! I've been on campus for an hour and still haven't parked. If I miss the banner raising, not going to be happy.

ThePublisher
10-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Anyway to watch this online? I see you can get an $80 duke insider membership and stream in through goduke.com. Or catch some highlights on espnU.
But I'm looking for a free way to watch the whole thing. Does this not exist? It really should be online for free as there are more than just the people who could make it to Durham to watch.

wtm001
10-15-2010, 06:59 PM
AAAARRRGGG! What is the deal with parking!?! I've been on campus for an hour and still haven't parked. If I miss the banner raising, not going to be happy.

I was actually able to park for free, I don't know my way around campus too well either

jipops
10-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I know my way around a bit but Towerview being shut down totally threw me off. That and conflicting info from traffic directors on where to park. But I made it, got my 5yr old daughter with me. Ready to go!

moonpie23
10-15-2010, 07:28 PM
live from Cameron Indoor Stadium ! SECTION 2- row h - seat 6

the atmosphere is electric !!! I am going to ustream the banner raising

http://ustre.am/7580

DevilHorns
10-15-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm holding out for ESPNU coverage at 9. Hopefully we dominate the coverage this year as we're the previous national champions (don't like the words 'defending national champions,' K taught me that :))

In the meantime... moonpie, I'm anticipating that live feed for those of us too far away to attend!

ThePublisher
10-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Do we have to sign up to ustream to watch this? I'm on your page and not seeing anything.

DevilHorns
10-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Kind of stinks that we're preaseason ranked #1 and ESPN is streaming UK's midnight madness on ESPN3 in its entirety. Hopefully the ESPNU segment isn't a UK lovefest.

sivartrenrag
10-15-2010, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the stream!

Greg_Newton
10-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Kind of stinks that we're preaseason ranked #1 and ESPN is streaming UK's midnight madness on ESPN3 in its entirety. Hopefully the ESPNU segment isn't a UK lovefest.

To be fair, UK's midnight madness spectacle is generally the highlight of their season (aside from draft day, of course). At least we have better things coming to us!

NSDukeFan
10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
To be fair, UK's midnight madness spectacle is generally the highlight of their season (aside from draft day, of course). At least we have better things coming to us!

You might also want to add the day that recruiting rankings come out. They have won a couple of those titles lately.

sleepybear
10-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Moonpie's ustream is great. I can smell the popcorn.

*edit
and it goes away with "the atmosphere is absolutely electric"

AlaskanAssassin
10-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Surprised to see Casey starting in place of Curry.

moonpie23
10-15-2010, 08:29 PM
here comes tip off with my battery's last breath

dukeballboy88
10-15-2010, 08:33 PM
man ctc is off the hook. im having a great time. got kyle singlers autograph and talked to quinn cook. sorry guys he didnt give me any inside info. lol!

Greg_Newton
10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
The three freshman lighting it up so far in the second half... 16-4 blue, Kyrie and Thornton each with 5 I think, Hairston with 2 too.

Acymetric
10-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Anyone hear about Seth yet? Got a pretty good gash over his eye in the first half...

DevilHorns
10-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Anyone care to share the Blue v White lineups? Any player assessments so far?

Greg_Newton
10-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Anyone care to share the Blue v White lineups? Any player assessments so far?

All I caught was the second half, which was:

WHITE - Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly-Miles
BLUE - Irving-Thornton-Curry/Peters-Hairston-Mason

Blue won, 36-29 I believe.

Hairston was the star: 18 points on 9-10 shooting. He benefitted from some nice KI assists, but he hits open shots, finishes efficiently, and just knows where to be on the offensive end. I had been thinking he'd only get spot minutes, but I may have really underestimated his role this year.

Kyrie was ridiculous. We haven't had a creator like him in a lonnng time.

Thornton was also surprisingly good. He scored off penetration, hit several threes, rotated over to take a charge on Miles once, and was generally quite solid. I think he had 4 fouls in 12 minutes though...

Dawkins was quiet, but hit two nice threes in a row in the last minute and won the dunk contest.

Mason looked a little more confident to me. Hopefully he'll have a fresh start this year.

Kelly was quiet, but seemed more comfortable in the post (rebounded and defended well enough). Still seemed a little unsure on O at times, but it was a short game.

Miles looked as expected, although his offensive footwork still leaves a lot to be desired.

Nolan pretty much did what he wanted, Kyle hit a couple threes and used his body to score on Peters a couple times. Didn't really penetrate. I think he'll benefit hugely from Kyrie to get things rolling.

Curry was out for most of the half with the forehead cut.

dbluedevil222
10-15-2010, 10:11 PM
First Half

Lineups:

White
K.I.
Nolan
Kyle
Mason
Miles

Blue
Tyler
Seth
Andre
Josh
Ryan

I didn't see much of the half because the stream kept going out. Kyle was clearly not playing very aggressive, but showed a nice 3-point touch. I definitely managed to miss all the "highlight" plays, but K.I. had a few alley oops and cross overs from what I could hear via announcers. Nolan showed a decent handle, but I was unimpressed with Mason. His defense looks decent, but he continues to try and play more of a guard position than forward. I think he has loads of talent, it's his decision-making that I think needs a lot of work. This includes those half drives that force him to shoot off balance jumpers on the foul line. Miles showed good court awareness, but also forced two too many outside shots. Seth went out early after getting a cut on his face. I was "impressed" with Tyler. He may not get significant minutes this season, but he's got some skill. He will be invaluable as a junior/senior not just as a defensive leader, but as a penetrating point guard as well. Josh didn't show much in the first half. Ryan led the scoring for the blue; he has definitely matured.

Second Half

White:
Nolan
Andre
Kyle
Miles
Ryan

Blue:
Tyler
K.I.
Casey
Josh
Mason

I was most impressed with Kyrie in this half. He had quite a few assists, several buckets, and showed the aggressiveness he was lacking in the first half. He clearly felt more comfortable playing with Tyler and Josh, and tried to get them the ball the most. I image it's because the team still hasn't played together much, and Kyrie has already played with Josh on the U18 team (and they seem to all mesh quite well, handshakes included). Josh showed a nice jumpshot, formwise. He didn't force much, and led the way with 18 or so points (mostly due to Kyrie creating, but I value the ability to be in the right place all the time, as well as finishing layups under pressure). Tyler was aggressive, and apparently has a decent 3-point shot, which will only get better. Still unimpressed with Mason, hopefully with some heavy coaching he will focus his ability into productivity. Ryan was much more passive on the white team. It seemed like when players were on the "B" team, they played much better. This may be a psychological thing, where people don't want to overstep the leadership of Nolan and Kyle (I don't blame the two of them, I just think the younger players showed a tendency to intentionally take the backseat).

Overall assessments:

Nolan showed flashes of aggressiveness, frankly I'm not concerned about him... he's a competitor. Although you can't evaluate Kyle much due to his recent comeback, I will say that my biggest concern was actually his shot, but he sank quite a few. Miles was consistent. He may not score in the double digits, but he will be an important part of the team, defensively and rebounding (and of course he can dunk). Disappointed with Mason, as I mentioned earlier... but it could change (I recall I wasn't too impressed with Zoubs early last season either). Kyrie will be good. I think the biggest thing will be making sure he becomes a leader. He clearly has the potential to take over games, hopefully he will choose to do so. Ryan is gonna get minutes, no question. He's a great passer, definitely a lot bigger, and understands the game well. Andre was streaky, and I think he's still a work-in-progress. Seth didn't get to show much, but he's a shooter. I'd like to see more of his penetration but he has a beautiful stroke (people may get mad at this, but I think he's a better shooter than Andre by a longshot). Josh and Tyler both showed more than I expected. I think they will see a fair amount of minutes early and less by the end of the season. But I think they will both be major impact players before they leave Duke.

BigZ
10-15-2010, 10:19 PM
looks like the first half white squad is the starting lineup?

BigZ
10-15-2010, 10:20 PM
anyone find a box score? i usually look it up at go.duke.com but they don't have it.

dbluedevil222
10-15-2010, 10:22 PM
The first white team will definitely be the starting lineup for the opening part of the season. But this team is deep. I imagine we'll see Seth and Ryan both crack the lineup for at least a game or two when they outpractice the starters.

dukelifer
10-15-2010, 10:22 PM
All I caught was the second half, which was:

WHITE - Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly-Miles
BLUE - Irving-Thornton-Curry/Peters-Hairston-Mason

Blue won, 36-29 I believe.

Hairston was the star: 18 points on 9-10 shooting. He benefitted from some nice KI assists, but he hits open shots, finishes efficiently, and just knows where to be on the offensive end. I had been thinking he'd only get spot minutes, but I may have really underestimated his role this year.

Kyrie was ridiculous. We haven't had a creator like him in a lonnng time.

Thornton was also surprisingly good. He scored off penetration, hit several threes, rotated over to take a charge on Miles once, and was generally quite solid. I think he had 4 fouls in 12 minutes though...

Dawkins was quiet, but hit two nice threes in a row in the last minute and won the dunk contest.

Mason looked a little more confident to me. Hopefully he'll have a fresh start this year.

Kelly was quiet, but seemed more comfortable in the post (rebounded and defended well enough). Still seemed a little unsure on O at times, but it was a short game.

Miles looked as expected, although his offensive footwork still leaves a lot to be desired.

Nolan pretty much did what he wanted, Kyle hit a couple threes and used his body to score on Peters a couple times. Didn't really penetrate. I think he'll benefit hugely from Kyrie to get things rolling.

Curry was out for most of the half with the forehead cut.

The Frosh were impressive. Hairston was a bit scared to start but in the second half he showed an excellent nose for the basket and a decent midrange game. He got more and more confident as the game went on. Thornton was pretty solid. He is very strong with the ball- not super quick or bouncy- but solid as a rock and has a nice touch/shot. Did not expect that. He will be very valuable in spot duty. He has the potential to be a diamond in the rough. Irving is a star - can do anything he wants with the ball- just at another level. The Plumlee boys were okay but I did not see a big change in their games. Kelly looks like a much more confident player- he is much stronger and will be a good player off teh bench and may start at some point - his passing is very good and can bound with his new found strength. He is going to be a player at some point. Curry got hurt and missed a chunk but showed flashes. Dawkins was quiet. Both Nolan and Singler were as expected. The young guys are pretty good. Overall this team has options and should have many big runs in them in games this year. The big guys are the only question mark- but should get better in time.

DevilHorns
10-15-2010, 11:02 PM
First Half

Lineups:

White
K.I.
Nolan
Kyle
Mason
Miles

Blue
Tyler
Seth
Andre
Josh
Ryan

I didn't see much of the half because the stream kept going out. Kyle was clearly not playing very aggressive, but showed a nice 3-point touch. I definitely managed to miss all the "highlight" plays, but K.I. had a few alley oops and cross overs from what I could hear via announcers. Nolan showed a decent handle, but I was unimpressed with Mason. His defense looks decent, but he continues to try and play more of a guard position than forward. I think he has loads of talent, it's his decision-making that I think needs a lot of work. This includes those half drives that force him to shoot off balance jumpers on the foul line. Miles showed good court awareness, but also forced two too many outside shots. Seth went out early after getting a cut on his face. I was "impressed" with Tyler. He may not get significant minutes this season, but he's got some skill. He will be invaluable as a junior/senior not just as a defensive leader, but as a penetrating point guard as well. Josh didn't show much in the first half. Ryan led the scoring for the blue; he has definitely matured.

Second Half

White:
Nolan
Andre
Kyle
Miles
Ryan

Blue:
Tyler
K.I.
Casey
Josh
Mason

I was most impressed with Kyrie in this half. He had quite a few assists, several buckets, and showed the aggressiveness he was lacking in the first half. He clearly felt more comfortable playing with Tyler and Josh, and tried to get them the ball the most. I image it's because the team still hasn't played together much, and Kyrie has already played with Josh on the U18 team (and they seem to all mesh quite well, handshakes included). Josh showed a nice jumpshot, formwise. He didn't force much, and led the way with 18 or so points (mostly due to Kyrie creating, but I value the ability to be in the right place all the time, as well as finishing layups under pressure). Tyler was aggressive, and apparently has a decent 3-point shot, which will only get better. Still unimpressed with Mason, hopefully with some heavy coaching he will focus his ability into productivity. Ryan was much more passive on the white team. It seemed like when players were on the "B" team, they played much better. This may be a psychological thing, where people don't want to overstep the leadership of Nolan and Kyle (I don't blame the two of them, I just think the younger players showed a tendency to intentionally take the backseat).

Overall assessments:

Nolan showed flashes of aggressiveness, frankly I'm not concerned about him... he's a competitor. Although you can't evaluate Kyle much due to his recent comeback, I will say that my biggest concern was actually his shot, but he sank quite a few. Miles was consistent. He may not score in the double digits, but he will be an important part of the team, defensively and rebounding (and of course he can dunk). Disappointed with Mason, as I mentioned earlier... but it could change (I recall I wasn't too impressed with Zoubs early last season either). Kyrie will be good. I think the biggest thing will be making sure he becomes a leader. He clearly has the potential to take over games, hopefully he will choose to do so. Ryan is gonna get minutes, no question. He's a great passer, definitely a lot bigger, and understands the game well. Andre was streaky, and I think he's still a work-in-progress. Seth didn't get to show much, but he's a shooter. I'd like to see more of his penetration but he has a beautiful stroke (people may get mad at this, but I think he's a better shooter than Andre by a longshot). Josh and Tyler both showed more than I expected. I think they will see a fair amount of minutes early and less by the end of the season. But I think they will both be major impact players before they leave Duke.

Thanks for this great post. Regarding the comment on Seth, Coach K just said in an ESPNU interview that Seth is our best shooter behind the 3 point arc and has the best range as well.

Perusing posts I am incredibly excited about the Kyrie element. I wish ESPNU would show us some highlights of the game but I'm guessing we won't see any of it.