PDA

View Full Version : Count down to craziness line ups

MarkD83
10-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I have enjoyed reading the recruiting threads, UNC next year threads etc. Now it is time to think about Duke bball. There has been alot of discussion about Duke's starting line-up, but I have a different question. What would be the lineups that you would most like to see at CTC to create the most competitive scrimmage. Here is my list (blue and white do not refer to 1st and 2nd teams so don't get hung up on that.)

White:
Kyrie
Seth
Josh
Mason
Miles
Casey

Blue:
Nolan
Andre
Tyler
Kyle
Ryan
Todd

Let me know what you think.

uh_no
10-09-2010, 07:29 PM
And I bet in the second half, well get kyrie kyle nolan and 2 of miles mason and ryan. The other team is the 3rd of the trio above, seth, andre, tyler, and josh.

Because that's how k rolls

ACCBBallFan
10-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I tried to think of some parity criteria but could not make it work enitrely, so sacrificed on last one for sake of parity:

1. Sr. captain on each team
2. a PG on each team
3. a center/ a Plumlee on each team
4. a frosh not named Kyrie on each team
5. Todd on same team as Kyle for when Kyle moves to WF
6. Seth and Dre on opposite teams

Kyrie - Nolan - Josh - Ryan - a Plumlee - Casey

vs.

Tyler - Seth - Dre - Kyle - a Plumlee - Todd

For the Nolan and Kyle on same team, parity goes out the window but would at least give them Miles to help Josh on boards or swap Kyrie - Tyler

Kyrie - Nolan - Kyle - Ryan - Mason

vs.

Tyler - Seth - Dre - Josh - Miles

OR

Tyler - Nolan - Kyle - Mason - Miles

vs.

Kyrie - Seth - Dre - Josh - Ryan

It might be fun to put the all offense 5 to see if having the 3 Amigos and two siblings on same teams helps intangibly, but a tough debut for Tyler and Josh trying to stop Kyrie and Nolan.

Kyrie - Seth - Nolan - Kyle - Ryan

vs.

Tyler - Dre - Josh - Mason - Miles

Greg_Newton
10-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Rather than going for absolute parity, I'd like to see the following lineups for the specific matchups:

Team A: Kyrie -- Seth -- Andre -- Mason -- Miles
Team B: Nolan -- Tyler --Kyle ---- Ryan --- Josh

This would give us:

1) Kyrie vs. Nolan: I'm dying to see this. Two of the best guards in the country, with almost the exact same physical attributes.
2) Mason vs. Ryan: Ditto. Contrasting styles, but similarly exciting sophomores. Will one emerge as the clear starter?
3) Kyle vs. Andre: Kyle needs to play the 3 for the NBA, Andre needs to play the 3 if he wants to start before he's a senior. Can Kyle create against a smaller, quicker defender? How does Andre do against a 6'8, All-American SF?

Seth vs. Tyler and Miles vs Josh are the leftovers.

I also think it would be interesting to see how the contrasting styles fared - can the trio of young gunners and two athletic bigs take down the two senior AA's and a trio of versatile, team-minded guys? I'm not sure who I'd take.

uh_no
10-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Can Kyle create against a smaller, quicker defender? How does Andre do against a 6'8, All-American SF?

if you think anyone 4 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter than kyle is guarding the NCAA tournament final 4 MVP....

or conversely...if you think kyle would have any trouble scoring against someone so much less tall, massive, and experienced than he....

Newton_14
10-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I like the idea of a captain on each team, but I think K may wait until 2nd half to do that. K will certainly switch the rosters at half-time as Uh No indicated. He does that every year. There are multiple ways to go here and it will be interesting to see how K handles both halves.

Here are my wild guesses
Half 1
Team Duke
G-Kyrie
G-Nolan
SM-Kyle
PF-Mason
C-Miles
Sub: Casey

Team Blue Devils:
G-Tyler
G-Seth
SF-Andre
PF-Josh
C-Ryan
Sub: Todd

2nd Half
Team Duke
G-Tyler
G-Nolan
SF-Andre
PF-Ryan
C-Miles
Sub- Todd

Team Blue Devils
G-Seth
G-Kyrie
SF-Kyle
PF-Josh
C-Mason
Sub- Casey

uh_no
10-10-2010, 08:23 PM
I like the idea of a captain on each team, but I think K may wait until 2nd half to do that. K will certainly switch the rosters at half-time as Uh No indicated. He does that every year. There are multiple ways to go here and it will be interesting to see how K handles both halves.

Here are my wild guesses
Half 1
Team Duke
G-Kyrie
G-Nolan
SM-Kyle
PF-Mason
C-Miles

Team Blue Devils:
G-Tyler
G-Seth
SF-Andre
PF-Josh
C-Ryan

2nd Half
Team Duke
G-Tyler
G-Nolan
SF-Andre
PF-Ryan
C-Miles
Sub- Todd

Team Blue Devils
G-Seth
G-Kyrie
SF-Kyle
PF-Josh
C-Mason
Sub- Casey

K generally puts the 'starters' on one team.....or my experience of n=3 trials

Newton_14
10-10-2010, 08:32 PM
K generally puts the 'starters' on one team.....or my experience of n=3 trials

Agree! In half 1 he almost always trots out the projected starting line up. That influenced my picks in half one. I am anxious to see who K has as projected starters as of right now. Not that it will mean much. Given the talent on this team, K will have many options at his disposal. All I know is each kid better bring it each time they step on the floor, because rest assured, there is someone waiting in the wings on the bench should they not.

I expect all 10 kids will push each other for time on the court. All of them in their own right have true D1 talent imo. I can't wait to see how they perform under the bright lights.

5 more days and I have to retire my signature! The 09-10 team took us on a great ride. Almost time now to raise their banner and put them in their rightful place in history and start watching the 10-11 team go make their own history!

Go Duke!

Greg_Newton
10-10-2010, 08:40 PM
if you think anyone 4 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter than kyle is guarding the NCAA tournament final 4 MVP....

or conversely...if you think kyle would have any trouble scoring against someone so much less tall, massive, and experienced than he....

Do you disagree that Kyle had trouble creating off the bounce against smaller 3's last year? I would like to see how he's progressed in that respect. And Andre is our most likely candidate for starting SF in 2011-12, so I would like to see if he can hang with a big SF like Kyle.

uh_no
10-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Do you disagree that Kyle had trouble creating off the bounce against smaller 3's last year? I would like to see how he's progressed in that respect. And Andre is our most likely candidate for starting SF in 2011-12, so I would like to see if he can hang with a big SF like Kyle.

Sometimes he did.....but coming into the latter half of the year, this was hardly the case....his lowest output came against a baylor team .....which I'm not sure you could call small by any stretch of the imagination....

i'm just pointing out that pitting a sophomore (who is young for his age and should be a freshman) with limited playing experience against one of the best players in the country who happens to be 4 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier.....is a bit of a mismatch

I'm hesitant to call andre a SF....maybe SMALL forward.....but i think our lineup will look more like 3 guards.....regardless of what the position is actually called....

i should just note that that would be a huge drop in size....when last year our PG was 6-6, and next year our sf could be 2 inches shorter.....

ACCBBallFan
10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Sometimes he did.....but coming into the latter half of the year, this was hardly the case....his lowest output came against a baylor team .....which I'm not sure you could call small by any stretch of the imagination....

i'm just pointing out that pitting a sophomore (who is young for his age and should be a freshman) with limited playing experience against one of the best players in the country who happens to be 4 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier.....is a bit of a mismatch

I'm hesitant to call andre a SF....maybe SMALL forward.....but i think our lineup will look more like 3 guards.....regardless of what the position is actually called....

i should just note that that would be a huge drop in size....when last year our PG was 6-6, and next year our sf could be 2 inches shorter.....

Andre is not known for his defense. That may be Josh's calling card, too early to tell.

When you put Duke's top 10 guys in height/weight/position order, it would be fairer to Dre and Josh who are firends and have played together for them to guard one another and leave Singler to Ryan or Mason.

Dre is the biggest of the 5 smalls and Josh is the smallest of the 5 bigs.

Josh may play a hybrid PF on Offense and WF on defense a la Lance while Kyle with these matchups may do the opposite as WF on Offense and PF on defense, if both are placed on same team.

Both Kyrie and Tyler are in their first public event in a Duke uniform. So okay to match them up but tough task for Tyler.

A lineup shown below to appease the Kyle is A WF and Josh is a big that nominally shows

Blue: Tyler - Nolan - Kyle - Josh - Miles

vs.

White: Kyrie - Seth - Dre - Ryan - Mason

In those nominal lineups Ryan would gaurd Kyle and Dre would guard Josh while the Blue team may choose to keep Kyle guarding Dre and Ryan guarding Josh.

Greg_Newton
10-10-2010, 10:40 PM

It would be a significant drop in size, but it's likely unless a freshman Gbinije beats out a junior Dawkins. And if he's starting alongside Curry and Rivers, he'll likely be guarding (and being guarded by) SFs, so I'd like to see what he does against Kyle.

And Kyle's output isn't really the issue... he started scoring more efficiently when we started getting him the ball closer to the basket (i.e. curling off screens to the elbow) rather than making him make a move and penetrate from the perimeter. IMO, he was never very comfortable doing that last year, even during his best performances. I'm hopeful that another summer may have helped him in that respect, and would like to see how he does against a smaller wing defender like Andre.

Kyle will be a mismatch in this game no matter who is on him; I'd just like to see this matchup because it would test areas both players need to work on.

flyingdutchdevil
10-11-2010, 06:46 AM

Here are my wild guesses
Half 1
Team Duke
G-Kyrie
G-Nolan
SM-Kyle
PF-Mason
C-Miles

Team Blue Devils:
G-Tyler
G-Seth
SF-Andre
PF-Josh
C-Ryan

2nd Half
Team Duke
G-Tyler
G-Nolan
SF-Andre
PF-Ryan
C-Miles
Sub- Todd

Team Blue Devils
G-Seth
G-Kyrie
SF-Kyle
PF-Josh
C-Mason
Sub- Casey

I'd definitely agree with the first game. It will certainly be starters vs. rotation / bench. The second game will be more interesting. I like what you've done, but I feel that the Team Blue Devils is significantly stronger. I'd like to see a more balanced game such as the following:

Team Duke
G-Seth
G-Nolan
SF-Andre
PF-Ryan
C-Mason

Team Blue Devil
G-Tyler
G-Kyrie
SF-Kyle
PF-Josh
C-Miles

I wouldn't know which team to put money on.

ACCBBallFan
10-11-2010, 08:16 AM
I agree wih Boozer and others that the first half will be the current leaders.

That could be a traditional lineup or one that has Curry in 3 small. At a minimum it will include:

Kyrie - Nolan - Kyle then 2 of these 4 [Seth, Ryan, Mason and Miles].

probably not Dre or Tyler or Josh.

For the second half I thought of something a little different. I initially tried to get the top 3 on different teams, but when trying to get as few swaps from Blue to White uniform at half as possible came up just having Josh and Tyler switch.

That would place the three frosh in the best opportunity to succeed, exact opposite of first half where Tytler and Josh are doomed.

The new trio would be paired with the two senior captains.

Their opponent is last year's B-team that is used to playing as a unit to make up for not having Kyle or Nolan or Kyrie:

White: Seth - Dre - Ryan - Mason - Miles

vs.

Blue: Tyler - Kyrie - Nolan - Kyle - Josh.

Lots of guys playing out of position but shows Duke's flexibility and some intriguing match ups.

Seth and Dre would probably shade off of Tyler to help out on Kyrie, Ryan would be challnged by Nolan; sspeed and cross over and Nolan by Ryan's height, and the Plumlees might shade off of Josh to help each other on Kyle.

On the other end, huge height advantage, but also lots of outside shooting htreats for Blue team to try to defend. A chance to showcase Orange Zone for either squad for different reasons.